PDA

View Full Version : The Game Is Off

Mikey
16-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Waterlogged pitch.

MountcastleHibs
16-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Definitely a sensible decision. Pitch doesn't even look ready for being played on on a good day, nevermind bad.

SteveHFC
16-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I just got here and the game is off.

Not Happy

.Sean.
16-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Just spoke to a player and it is definately off.

down-the-slope
16-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Definitely a sensible decision. Pitch doesn't even look ready for being played on on a good day, nevermind bad.

Not for those of us here - lots of ver grumpy people

1two
16-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Just on the radio too

down-the-slope
16-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Got to feel sorry for all the Barnsley fans here as well

Mikey
16-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Sean, any news on whether the players head down to East Mains and play it there?

woodythehibee
16-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Just arrived and gutted its off. Was really looking forward to it

MountcastleHibs
16-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Not for those of us here - lots of ver grumpy people

The pitch was not playable. It would've been dangerous for the players and would tear up the pitch.

Hibs90
16-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Raging. Could have easily called it off earlier before fans started to arrive at the ground. ********s. :agree:

SRHibs
16-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Wonder how many fans have arrived from Barnsley only to be met with this news? Pretty poor stuff.

HibeeSince85
16-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Terrible!

Sitting in the loch inn with no game to go to, groundsheet need to have a word.

.Sean.
16-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Sean, any news on whether the players head down to East Mains and play it there?
Players away home. Pitch is nowhere near playable mate.

fife hfc
16-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Boo just on the way to the ground when stopped on Leith Walk and told game is off. Mightly peeved off as could be at home in Dunfermline watching Le tour.

thebakerboy
16-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Gutted , going on holiday next weekend so will miss next 3 weekend games.Was quite funny though had radio Scotland on in car on way to game listening to a discussion about summer football when the call came in from ER that game was off.:fuming:

FromTheCapital
16-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Bollox!

Was looking foward to the game too...

Could've postponed it earlier, no?

Barnsley fans must be absolutely raging...!

:rolleyes:

Curly1875
16-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Absolutely gutted, got to the stadium just as news was being announced over the radio:grr: oh well atleast I only live down the road, i'd be raging if I'd had to travel far, feel sorry for anyone that did

Twiglet
16-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Wonder how many fans have arrived from Barnsley only to be met with this news? Pretty poor stuff.

I feel sorry for them. I'm gutted the match is off and I think I'd be even more so if I'd travelled all that way for it ti be cancelled.

jakki
16-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I feel sorry for all the fans either arrived or on the way to the game. I should have arrived at 14.00 (and not being picked up until 19.00 ) but due to a chest infection, I cancelled my transport yesterday. I was prepared to lose the cost of the 2 tickets I bought but am delighted about the refund. More money to spend at the Hibs.shop next Sunday.

fife hfc
16-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Boo just on the way to the ground when stopped on Leith Walk and told game is off. Mightly peeved off as could be at home in Dunfermline watching Le tour.

GORDONSMITH7
16-07-2011, 01:49 PM
The pitch was not playable. It would've been dangerous for the players and would tear up the pitch.

Well if that is the case the pitch is not woth a ****. Utter nonsense. I'm 5 minutes from the ground. There was a torrential, however that was a couple of hours ago. Not much for the past hour and as I type. **** me double standards or what. Match went on against Lithuanian mob when it was like parts of the Indian sub continent in the monsoon season. Just looked out the windae, weather fine. Deary me.

BIG G

HibsMax
16-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Any idea if the pitch will be ready in 8 days time? From what I am reading it sounds kinda doubtful.

Surely they can play the game at East Mains? I know that won't work for all the fans but the players still get a run out and Hibs TV can film the game and put up the highlights for free (while letting overseas punters see the whole match live :wink:).

ronaldo7
16-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Got the daughter out of hospital on a day pass, only to get to easter road, and all the gates shut. She was gutted but not as much as the barnsley fan who got out his car on st clair to be told the game was abandoned.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Any idea if the pitch will be ready in 8 days time? From what I am reading it sounds kinda doubtful.

Surely they can play the game at East Mains? I know that won't work for all the fans but the players still get a run out and Hibs TV can film the game and put up the highlights for free (while letting overseas punters see the whole match live :wink:).

Charlie Mann the radio scotland commentator has just said the pitch looks awful, with some real bad patches where the groundsman has had underlying problems with the drainage. Bare patches were mentioned.:confused:

MountcastleHibs
16-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Well if that is the case the pitch is not woth a ****. Utter nonsense. I'm 5 minutes from the ground. There was a torrential, however that was a couple of hours ago. Not much for the past hour and as I type. **** me double standards or what. Match went on against Lithuanian mob when it was like parts of the Indian sub continent in the monsoon season. Just looked out the windae, weather fine. Deary me.

BIG G

The difference between the Lithuanian game and this one is that the Lith one was a competitive Intertoto tie. This is a meaningless friendly. It's not worth risking the players wellbeing. The pitch would've been torn up too.

I posted on the pm forum saying the pitch didn't look ready for the new season and wasn't looking great at half 12, as I was working within the stadium. Even at that point it wasn't as waterlogged. It was the heavy downpour at half 12 that caused it.

Bayern Bru
16-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Turned up to the ground about 2.30pm. No signs, no announcements about the game. Only way I knew it was off was because I checked dot net on my phone.

I'm all for giving games as long as possible before deciding to call them off and naturally safety is important. But a 2.15 call off when the majority of fans are either at the ground or on their way is a bit cheeky.

Severely south of gruntled right now.

Sammy7nil
16-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I was told the the pitch IS Playable

The teams dont want to tear up the pitch or risk injury to players on a tricky surface.

Not great news if you travelled from Barnsley

Hibs were still selling tickets at 1.30pm, I got as close as leith walk before I found out JOKE

LancashireHibby
16-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Got all the way here, can't believe so much has been spent on the pitch and it's off! Ah well off to the pub to join the Barnsley fans and WarringtonHibee in a "who's travelled further" contest

ronaldo7
16-07-2011, 02:02 PM
The game was called off as the bride and groom could be seen cavorting in one of the boxes in the famous five. Hibs ARE a family club.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Is there any date been announced when this will get played? :wink:

Spike Mandela
16-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Charlie Mann the radio scotland commentator has just said the pitch looks awful, with some real bad patches where the groundsman has had underlying problems with the drainage. Bare patches were mentioned.:confused:

If that is true surely that is unacceptable and questions should be asked of those responsible. For the money the club have spent the least we should expect is a pristine pitch at the start of the season.

woody47
16-07-2011, 02:27 PM
What a ferking shambles. 50 mile round trip!!!! As for the Barnsley lot, how many miles for them?
Do we not have drainage in this super bl00dy stadium? All very well shouting about how we have one of the best stadia in Scotland when we can't play a game of ferking football on it.
Are we going to have this shambles every time we get rain?
PETRIE - GET IT SORTED

yekimevol
16-07-2011, 02:31 PM
anyone got a picture cause i dont believe it !!!!!!

Bayern Bru
16-07-2011, 02:33 PM
So - ballpark figures on how much money Hibs will have lost from this calloff? No catering, no gate money, Barnsley's fee...

R'Albin
16-07-2011, 02:35 PM
The game was called off as the bride and groom could be seen cavorting in one of the boxes in the famous five. Hibs ARE a family club.

:greengrin

gobragh1875
16-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Game was never going to go ahead pitch no were near ready and as for the grounds staff we dont have any since tam left its done by some out side company who are there only on match days

we are hibs
16-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Waterlogged pitch.

the farts are on keekback are saying that our grounds a joke lol it was pishing down
i feel bad cause i told my son that the game would defo be on because he was worried and got there and it was off so might have to take him to the sunderland game

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Game was never going to go ahead pitch no were near ready and as for the grounds staff we dont have any since tam left its done by some out side company who are there only on match days

I find that difficult to believe, we may not have groundstaff employed by the club, but we will employ an outside company, and they will certainly be at the ground on other days apart from match day.

hibsbollah
16-07-2011, 03:03 PM
If that is true surely that is unacceptable and questions should be asked of those responsible. For the money the club have spent the least we should expect is a pristine pitch at the start of the season.

Its absolutely true...pitch looks terrible and the weather is NOT the main cause.

LancashireHibby
16-07-2011, 03:05 PM
At least it's been a good craic with the Barnsley & Antwerp lads in the Four in Hand. Now watching retro highlights in the Hibs Club.

we are hibs
16-07-2011, 03:09 PM
At least it's been a good craic with the Barnsley & Antwerp lads in the Four in Hand. Now watching retro highlights in the Hibs Club.

and the yams are getting beat

ArabHibee
16-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Tam's left?

erin go bragh
16-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Is there any date been announced when this will get played? :wink:
On the fishy site saying the game wont be getting played !
ggtth

we are hibs
16-07-2011, 03:14 PM
On the fishy site saying the game wont be getting played !
ggtth

the ticket office should be giving tickets for the hibs vs sunderland free for the people who bought tickets for the barnsley game

Franck Stanton
16-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Tam's left?

Nope, passed him as he was loading the match balls into back of car outside main entrance about 2.40 today, he said wasn't the rain that caused game to be cancelled but a burst water pipe.
To try and answer some posters questions about the game taking place at E/M, doubt it as quite a few players were leaving in own cars and Stacky talking to some mates stating he was just on his way home.
Total farce, drove 80-odd mile round journey for nowt.

ArabHibee
16-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Nope, passed him as he was loading the match balls into back of car outside main entrance about 2.40 today, he said wasn't the rain that caused game to be cancelled but a burst water pipe.
To try and answer some posters questions about the game taking place at E/M, doubt it as quite a few players were leaving in own cars and Stacky talking to some mates stating he was just on his way home.
Total farce, drove 80-odd mile round journey for nowt.

Phew, thank goodness for that! Tam leaving ER is just unthinkable.:greengrin
Cheers for update about reason game called off, makes more sense.

lapsedhibee
16-07-2011, 03:46 PM

Absolutely raging. Why could Petrie not have spent some of the £84321077481074 that directors take in salary on a 24/7 standby plumber, so that the burst could have been attended to instantly and the game gone ahead? (And I don't mean a plumber on call, I mean a plumber actually standing there 24/7, with his tools, ready to deal with any emergency that might arise.) :grr: :panic:

Alfred E Newman
16-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Summer fitba anyone?:faf::faf::faf:

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2011, 03:52 PM

I'd have it tomorrow. I'd rather watch football in a short sleeved shirt than a jumper jacket and furry hat.

Games will get called off in the winter for all sorts of things, and the recent popular one is the state of the roads. That wont ever be the case in the summer.

MWHIBBIES
16-07-2011, 03:54 PM
It's not all doom and gloom

http://www.flashscore.com/detail/8Ka6K4vm/?tab=1

Baker9
16-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Well done to the ticket office staff. Instant refunds were given to those who asked.:top marks

Nando™
16-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Well done to the ticket office staff. Instant refunds were given to those who asked.:top marks
Blasphemy!

HibsMax
16-07-2011, 04:29 PM

LOL. I would guess that today is the exception to the rule, even by Scotland's standard of "Summer". :)

June of 2009 over here was a washout. I think it rained every day.

Allant1981
16-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Just hear calderwood say on SSN that it would have taken an hour to clear the water from the pitch. No mention of burst pipe but due to rain fall. Was it really that heavy?

frazeHFC
16-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Players away home. Pitch is nowhere near playable mate.

Yeah, good info. :wink:

Westie1875
16-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Just hear calderwood say on SSN that it would have taken an hour to clear the water from the pitch. No mention of burst pipe but due to rain fall. Was it really that heavy?

Yes, remember the rain last Friday which cause the flooding? I'd say it was heavier than that although it didn't go on for as long, I'm really not surprised the game was off with so much rain falling in a short space of time.

marinello59
16-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Definitely, it's the only way forward for our game. Games may still get called off but at least you don't have to risk life and limb driving in Arctic conditions.

basehibby
16-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Well get them launched into touch then FFS! They've had the whole close season to get the pitch in order - there is no excuse for this :fuming:

marinello59
16-07-2011, 05:39 PM

Aye, dealt with very quickly. Excellent service.

basehibby
16-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I'd have it tomorrow. I'd rather watch football in a short sleeved shirt than a jumper jacket and furry hat.

Games will get called off in the winter for all sorts of things, and the recent popular one is the state of the roads. That wont ever be the case in the summer.

:agree: Summer football? bring it on!

greenlex
16-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Aye, dealt with very quickly. Excellent service.
Disagree. Four windows and two Q's. One going to 1 window one going to 3. You couldnt see from the end of the Q this was the case. If you went to the end of the wrong Q you were waiting for ages.:rolleyes:

marinello59
16-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Disagree. Four windows and two Q's. One going to 1 window one going to 3. You couldnt see from the end of the Q this was the case. If you went to the end of the wrong Q you were waiting for ages.:rolleyes:

An Aberdonian looking for a refund never waits long. :greengrin

HibsMax
16-07-2011, 09:37 PM

My refund was delivered without my asking within a couple of hours. Cannot fault the service. In-person would be harder because I'm gathering this was unexpected so they weren't prepared....I'm assuming.

Gatecrasher
16-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Ssn showed them trying to kick a ball about on the pitch and no way the game could have went ahead.

Albion Hibs
16-07-2011, 10:04 PM
If the pitch looks bad then I am delighted that they had called it off. Lets be honest in a few months time when it looks really done in we would have been giving them a hard time for playing the game.

Start of the season is far more important and a decent pitch that lasts longer than a few months for a change.

GORDONSMITH7
17-07-2011, 02:36 AM
The difference between the Lithuanian game and this one is that the Lith one was a competitive Intertoto tie. This is a meaningless friendly. It's not worth risking the players wellbeing. The pitch would've been torn up too.

I posted on the pm forum saying the pitch didn't look ready for the new season and wasn't looking great at half 12, as I was working within the stadium. Even at that point it wasn't as waterlogged. It was the heavy downpour at half 12 that caused it.

No disrespect mate but at the back of 3 I drove my son and grandchild, who were going to the game, back home where fitba games were being played on Leith Links and Pilton Park. They want tae have a serious word with the ****ing contractors that layed the new pitch.

BIG G

TrickyNicky
17-07-2011, 05:37 AM
No disrespect mate but at the back of 3 I drove my son and grandchild, who were going to the game, back home where fitba games were being played on Leith Links and Pilton Park. They want tae have a serious word with the ****ing contractors that layed the new pitch.

BIG G

Horticulturist folk ken whit's gaun oan likes !:wink:

Baker9
17-07-2011, 06:48 AM
My refund was delivered without my asking within a couple of hours. Cannot fault the service. In-person would be harder because I'm gathering this was unexpected so they weren't prepared....I'm assuming.

The manager was managing and the staff worked full out. Couldn't have done more. Met some good Hibbies in the queue as well to take the sting out of the wasted journey. We seem to have a way of dealing with disappointment.

Alfred E Newman
17-07-2011, 08:58 AM

The most settled weather this year was during late January through to April. Its been cool and wet most of the time since then. Some of the worst snow of the winter fell last November. This idea that we wander around in shorts and a tee shirt all summer is a falicy.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2011, 02:45 PM
The most settled weather this year was during late January through to April. Its been cool and wet most of the time since then. Some of the worst snow of the winter fell last November. This idea that we wander around in shorts and a tee shirt all summer is a falicy.

Its no falicy i was wearing boots a big coat wooly jumper and a hat for the best part of last winter watching Hibs. I'd bet my house i will be wearing all those clothes again this winter. And i'd know for a fact some folk wont even bother going because its far too cold for them next winter.

The older i get the more i dread watching football that way. Summer football for me please, every time.

Alfred E Newman
17-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Its no falicy i was wearing boots a big coat wooly jumper and a hat for the best part of last winter watching Hibs. I'd bet my house i will be wearing all those clothes again this winter. And i'd know for a fact some folk wont even bother going because its far too cold for them next winter.

The older i get the more i dread watching football that way. Summer football for me please, every time.

Auld softy. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Auld softy. :greengrin

I dont mind admitting that these days. :greengrin There was a game not last season but the season before, St Johnstone at home, the day they closed the east stand for the last time. I was very nearly going home it was that cold. I suffer from Chrohns, and very few who do also suffer from sore joints, had to be me eh. :rolleyes: When its cold its worse, so summer football please for me. :greengrin