PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Barnsley Update **Game Called Off**

Lucius Apuleius
16-07-2011, 08:44 AM
OK, I am going for the update thread today. :greengrin

Keep us all posted, especially on Mr Calderwood's demeanour and dress (if indeed he is wearing one)

What is the weather like? Missus says it is torrential rain in Denny. Hot, balmy, sweaty and a 100% chance of precipitation on the Slave Coast though.

Anybody got team news yet?

GTTH

hibee
16-07-2011, 08:49 AM
They should call it off or the new pitch will be ruined before the start of the season!

Hibbyradge
16-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I heard that people are actually going to pay to watch this meaningless game.

I'm also reliably informed that some of those same people will shout in anger at some of the players, and very possibly the manager, during this meaningless game.

What fun.

However, I'd rather golf in the rain.

Which is just as well.

hibsbollah
16-07-2011, 09:08 AM
There will be lots of standing water on the newly laid pitch and it won't be conducive to passing football. I hope De Graaf instructs his players to hoof it up to the big target men at every opportunity.

ArabHibee
16-07-2011, 09:11 AM
I give this thread 2 pages before its closed.

Hank Schrader
16-07-2011, 09:14 AM
I give this thread 2 pages before its closed.

Why?

HNA6
16-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Why?Because a match update thread is for match updates ..not guff ..folk who cant make the game may rely on this thread for updates without the need to wade through pages of tripe ..

down-the-slope
16-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Because a match update thread is for match updates ..not guff (which may be a problem if the match is...well guff) ..folk who cant be bothered going to the game may rely on this thread for their opportunity to berate all things hibs and give updates on their opinions of how it should be done without the need to wade through the weather and actually support the team...they can content themselves with writing pages of tripe on here instead ..

:agree: tis true

Kojock
16-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Because a match update thread is for match updates ..not guff ..folk who cant make the game may rely on this thread for updates without the need to wade through pages of tripe ..

But if you closed the thread they would not be able to get updates. :confused:

Saorsa
16-07-2011, 09:29 AM
But if you closed the thread they would not be able to get updates. :confused:It'll be re-opened when there is actually something tae update.

ArabHibee
16-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Because a match update thread is for match updates ..not guff ..folk who cant make the game may rely on this thread for updates without the need to wade through pages of tripe ..

And the OP should know better! :tee hee:

HNA6
16-07-2011, 09:35 AM
And the OP should know better! :tee hee:You would think ..:greengrin

silverhibee
16-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Am no goan.

Fitba folk ken why.

hibsbollah
16-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Judging by todays posts, this is the most eagerly awaited pre-season game in living memory. Bring it on!

Lucius Apuleius
16-07-2011, 09:56 AM
And the OP should know better! :tee hee:

You would think ..:greengrin

I have not a clue what you could possibly mean.:greengrin

:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

RCNG
16-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Cash gates?

down-the-slope
16-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Cash gates?
:agree: west & east only

whiskyhibby
16-07-2011, 11:00 AM
As a West ST holder, I bought tickets for the East, my first experience.......looking forward to it :thumbsup:

Westie1875
16-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Rain just started belting down at ER, get yer waterproofs on :agree:

iwasthere1972
16-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Rain just started belting down at ER, get yer waterproofs on :agree:

:agree:

If it carries on like this then expect players to be wearing welly boots.

Today reminds me of when we played Vetra in 2004. Pitch was dreadful that day and remember Garry O' at one point sliding on his pants through the waterlogged pitch.

Jamesie
16-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Unbelievable rain over Easter Road for the last half hour. For a spell it was probably worse than last weekend. Hope the drainage is up to the task!

Mon Dieu4
16-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Judging by todays posts, this is the most eagerly awaited pre-season game in living memory. Bring it on!

I am actually looking forward to it, I have missed Ivan, we must always have a mad bassa in the team and we have been sorely lacking as of late :wink:

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Today reminds me of when we played Vetra in 2004. Pitch was dreadful that day and remember Garry O' at one point sliding on his pants through the waterlogged pitch.

That game would never have carried on if it had been a league game. Probably the worst conditions i have ever witnessed.

xyz23jc
16-07-2011, 11:39 AM

I'd settle for the same score! 5-1 Hibs if I remember correctly, Broonie got one that night. Happy days, European football at Easter Rd. Should be a good run out if the game goes ahead. Torrential rain here in Edinburgh at the mo. GGTTH

iwasthere1972
16-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I'd settle for the same score! 5-1 Hibs if I remember correctly, Broonie got one that night. Happy days, European football at Easter Rd. Should be a good run out if the game goes ahead. Torrential rain here in Edinburgh at the mo. GGTTH

1-1 and knocked out when we played them away about a week later.

xyz23jc
16-07-2011, 11:43 AM
1-1 and knocked out when we played them away about a week later.

Doh! :rolleyes: I'd still settle for the same score.:greengrin

iwasthere1972
16-07-2011, 11:44 AM
That game would never have carried on if it had been a league game. Probably the worst conditions i have ever witnessed.

IIRC correctly the Vetra team were staying in a hostel somewhere in Edinburgh and travelled by any means they could to get to Edinburgh. They really couldn't afford for the game to be cancelled and have to endure the same travel/accommodation conditions. Despite that they still managed to draw with us.

MontrealHibs
16-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Am no goan.

Fitba folk ken why.

Your wife won't let you?

hibsbollah
16-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I am actually looking forward to it, I have missed Ivan, we must always have a mad bassa in the team and we have been sorely lacking as of late :wink:

Im awa'to leith water world with the kids. Ivan can wait a couple of weeks:-)

khib70
16-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Im awa'to leith water world with the kids. Ivan can wait a couple of weeks:-)
Ah, so you are going to the game then? :greengrin

hibsbollah
16-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Ah, so you are going to the game then? :greengrin

Ivan would be faaaast on the flumes, come to think of it.

Rossco1875
16-07-2011, 12:14 PM
It'll be re-opened when there is actually something tae update.

you going today jamie ?

down-the-slope
16-07-2011, 12:28 PM
right off to Edinburgh for second time today...deposited mother in law at station first trip...hopefully just as much joy from second trip...

judging by weather the aquaplanning will be just as bad...managed to wheel spin in 5th at 55mph :shocked:

Mikeystewart
16-07-2011, 01:04 PM
is today pay at the gate?

Edit: it is pay at the gate just phoned.

McKenzie
16-07-2011, 01:15 PM
just got a text saying the game is off, is this true?

nonshinyfinish
16-07-2011, 01:15 PM
is today pay at the gate?

Edit: it is pay at the gate just phoned.

Not any more, now it's cancelled due to the inclement conditions.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Finished 0-0. :wink:

Thomson
Game's off today. Just heard on radio. The flash flood has water logged the pitch> No game

nonshinyfinish
Finished 0-0. :wink:

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETRIE, etc. :grr:

Saorsa
16-07-2011, 01:20 PM
you going today jamie ?No :wink:

Mikeystewart
16-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Not any more, now it's cancelled due to the inclement conditions.

I only phoned 12 minutes ago you think they would have said something.... gutted :rolleyes:

Johnny_Leith
16-07-2011, 01:38 PM
1-1, Thornhill

ArabHibee
16-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Your wife won't let you?
Nope. One of his mates says he's not allowed to go anymore coz he doesn't play for us now.:greengrin

HibsMax
16-07-2011, 01:45 PM
That sucks. The official site is updated but Hibs TV still let me purchase the game with less than an hour to go. :(

Curly1875
16-07-2011, 02:19 PM
1-1, Thornhill

Absolutely disgraceful game!! :brickwall :brickwall
the defence was almost nowhere to be seen for the whole game
the referee gave us absolutely nothing, infact he barely let us play
and the turnout of fans was shocking!!

PETRIE GET IT SORTED!!!!!! :grr: :grr: :grr:

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Absolutely disgraceful game!! :brickwall :brickwall
the defence was almost nowhere to be seen for the whole game
the referee gave us absolutely nothing, infact he barely let us play
and the turnout of fans was shocking!!

PETRIE GET IT SORTED!!!!!! :grr: :grr: :grr:

Why the negativity, thats another game undefeated?:wink:

yekimevol
16-07-2011, 02:33 PM
anyone got a picture of the pitch cause i bet its fine !!!!!!!!

when we played fc vetra there was 3 inches of water on that pitch !!!!!!!!

Mikey
16-07-2011, 02:34 PM

If it's fine, why did they call it off?

snooky
16-07-2011, 02:37 PM
If it's fine, why did they call it off?

Rodders doesn't want to splash out - FACT! :coffee:

_hucks_
16-07-2011, 02:39 PM

This game is a friendly though, and hasn't required such a long journey from the away fans. Hibs are quite right to protect the surface for competative games.

I wonder if they'll play closed doors at East Mains, to give them a competative run out.

Lucius Apuleius
16-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Woohoo 100% unbeaten for me this season!!!! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
16-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, I enjoyed that! :aok:

I left Falkirk at about 12:45 and whilst it might be a bit much to say the sun was splitting the sky, it was dry and fairly nice. I didn't think that there would be any doubt whatsoever about the game today going ahead.

Then as we approached the Edinburgh area, the dark clouds appeared and it became clear that it had been raining quite heavily earlier on.

What I don't understand is that I bought my tickets for today from the ticket office at about 13:45 and the guy didn't give even the slightest suggestion that I should perhaps hold off for a little while as the game was in doubt. Hibs must have known by then that the chances of the game going ahead were slim as the guy on Radio Scotland said that the pitch was totally unplayable and the referee had no other option.

About 15 minutes later, the police came down to tell all the fans who were there that the game was off.

I just feel sorry for all the Barnsley fans who have made the journey up to Edinburgh. They'll obviously get a refund on their tickets but some of them will have spent hundreds of pounds on accommodation and travel. It's bad enough that I had a wasted trip of about 45 minutes, but Barnsley to Edinburgh is well over an 8 hour round trip.

So much for summer football. :rolleyes:

Very worrying thing for the long term was the reporter from Radio Scotland saying that the pitch was in an awful condition. The impression that I got was that it looked in a bad way regardless of today's weather conditions.

Speedy
16-07-2011, 04:20 PM

I left Falkirk at about 12:45 and whilst it might be a bit much to say the sun was splitting the sky, it was dry and fairly nice. I didn't think that there would be any doubt whatsoever about the game today going ahead.

Then as we approached the Edinburgh area, the dark clouds appeared and it became clear that it had been raining quite heavily earlier on.

What I don't understand is that I bought my tickets for today from the ticket office at about 13:45 and the guy didn't give even the slightest suggestion that I should perhaps hold off for a little while as the game was in doubt. Hibs must have known by then that the chances of the game going ahead were slim as the guy on Radio Scotland said that the pitch was totally unplayable and the referee had no other option.

About 15 minutes later, the police came down to tell all the fans who were there that the game was off.

I just feel sorry for all the Barnsley fans who have made the journey up to Edinburgh. They'll obviously get a refund on their tickets but some of them will have spent hundreds of pounds on accommodation and travel. It's bad enough that I had a wasted trip of about 45 minutes, but Barnsley to Edinburgh is well over an 8 hour round trip.

Very worrying thing for the long term was the reporter from Radio Scotland saying that the pitch was in an awful condition. The impression that I got was that it looked in a bad way regardless of today's weather conditions.

I was playing bowls at Craigentinny today and that survived the weather no problem :confused:

HibsMax
16-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Got my refund from Hibs TV already. :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
16-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Bad news about the pitch and I suppose it could partly be a consequence of the shortened close season as the groundstaff will not now have the same amount of time to carry out a program of remedial works to rectify any damage from the previous season.

*loody summer fitba.

:grr:

Sir David Gray
16-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I think we're now getting the weather that Edinburgh had about 5 hours ago. Heavy rain now, pitch black sky and thunder and lightning almost right above us.

ArabHibee
16-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I think we're now getting the weather that Edinburgh had about 5 hours ago. Heavy rain now, pitch black sky and thunder and lightning almost right above us.

Isn't it always like that at falkirk? :coffee:

Sir David Gray
16-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Isn't it always like that at falkirk? :coffee:

:na na: Not at all. :greengrin

Rain's actually got worse in the last half an hour or so and the lightning's really bad.

It's lucky I stay at the top of a hill or we could be in serious danger of getting flooded.

This rain is unreal at the moment.

silverhibee
16-07-2011, 05:58 PM

You should have stayed in Falkirk it was very nice out there today. :greengrin

silverhibee
16-07-2011, 06:01 PM
:na na: Not at all. :greengrin

Rain's actually got worse in the last half an hour or so and the lightning's really bad.

It's lucky I stay at the top of a hill or we could be in serious danger of getting flooded.

This rain is unreal at the moment.

Glad i am back in Edinburgh now. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
16-07-2011, 06:14 PM
You should have stayed in Falkirk it was very nice out there today. :greengrin

I know! :greengrin

I left Falkirk with the weather actually quite nice and all I had on (my top half...just before I get any funny replies! :greengrin) was a t-shirt and a light jacket. When I got nearer Edinburgh and realised it wasn't quite as nice, I was starting to panic a bit.

If the weather in Edinburgh this morning was anything like what we've just had in the past couple of hours then I'm glad I missed that as I would have got drenched.

silverhibee
17-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Nope. One of his mates says he's not allowed to go anymore coz he doesn't play for us now.:greengrin

Too busy learning Mandarin, and they bloody chopsticks are a bit of a nuisance to get used to. :greengrin