PDA

View Full Version : New Pitch

spike220
15-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Has anyone got any pictures of the new pitch?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-07-2011, 07:24 AM
A new one? So weve had to relay it again thought we got a new one to go with the completed stadium? Been out for 3 weeks somaybe I missed something...?

hibsbollah
15-07-2011, 07:31 AM
It was still bedding in 2 weeks ago...officials were very nervous about letting anyone near it!

Geo_1875
15-07-2011, 07:35 AM
A new one? So weve had to relay it again thought we got a new one to go with the completed stadium? Been out for 3 weeks somaybe I missed something...?

Relay it again? I thought it was a new pitch at the start of last season. Did they relay it since then?

bighairyfaeleith
15-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Relay it again? I thought it was a new pitch at the start of last season. Did they relay it since then?

Yes at the end of last season it was re-laid again.

Geo_1875
15-07-2011, 08:53 AM
So they've relaid it twice in 2 months?

Kojock
15-07-2011, 09:02 AM
I managed to get a photo during the heavy rain we had. I was suprised they were allowing the Hibs Under 11's play a game on it.

http://www.theconfidentmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/muddy-4.JPG

alfie
15-07-2011, 09:12 AM
It's looking much better this week. And personally I'm glad they have reinstated the slope. It'll help the drainage. :agree:

Easter Road pitch (http://www.landandwater.com/features/vol46no1/vol46no1_2E.jpg)

persevere1875
15-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Why are we having so many problems with the pitch, does anyone know ? I cant remember us having any historical problems with the Easter Rd pitch and I know things have moved on a bit, but, this seems to be a fairly recent thing as in the last few seasons, its not as far as I can recall, a problem we've always had.

Are we now buying turf from petries back yard ??? Come on petrie get it sorted :wink:

stubru59
15-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Why are we having so many problems with the pitch, does anyone know ? I cant remember us having any historical problems with the Easter Rd pitch and I know things have moved on a bit, but, this seems to be a fairly recent thing as in the last few seasons, its not as far as I can recall, a problem we've always had.

Are we now buying turf from petries back yard ??? Come on petrie get it sorted :wink:

Having apparently fined Riordon two weeks wages for complaining about the state of the pitch, we were able to use this income to put things right.

It's called maximising projected (and possibly, unprojected) resources.

greenlex
15-07-2011, 09:53 AM
So they've relaid it twice in 2 months?
How long is your season?:confused:

cocopops1875
15-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Nah rod does not have much turf in his garden he does however just have to jump the wall and can steal it from the golf course

ALF TUPPER
15-07-2011, 10:05 AM
It's looking much better this week. And personally I'm glad they have reinstated the slope. It'll help the drainage. :agree:

Easter Road pitch (http://www.landandwater.com/features/vol46no1/vol46no1_2E.jpg)

:tee hee:

persevere1875
15-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Nah rod does not have much turf in his garden he does however just have to jump the wall and can steal it from the golf course

He'll have a man to do that for him surely :wink:

Geo_1875
15-07-2011, 10:17 AM
How long is your season?:confused:

Same as everyone else. Last season finished in May. Was it relaid then and again since? I thought it was a new pitch installed last year and I wasn't aware that it had been done since. Maybe I'm getting confused as relaid again makes it sound like it's been done on a regular basis.

persevere1875
15-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Think I might apply to be the next Easter Rd pitch as it seems to get laid more often than me :greengrin

Sean1875
15-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Think I might apply to be the next Easter Rd pitch as it seems to get laid more often than me :greengrin
:faf: :top marks

Gettin' Auld
15-07-2011, 11:23 AM
I managed to get a photo during the heavy rain we had. I was suprised they were allowing the Hibs Under 11's play a game on it.

http://www.theconfidentmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/muddy-4.JPG
"Bring on a sub" suddenly has a new meaning. :greengrin

madabouthibs
15-07-2011, 11:30 AM
The problem may be due to having 4 uber stands now, so less sunlight is getting to the pitch.
Saying that, it wouldn't be the first time I've been supplied with bad grass in Leith. :greengrin

the happy hibee
15-07-2011, 11:39 AM
the pitch wasnt re turfed it was topdressed with top soil and then it was reseeded! the reason the new pitch struggled last year was with it being a young pitch it suffered badly with how harsh a winter it was! it should be a lot better this year and should be a good surface for the whole season! fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Curly1875
15-07-2011, 12:06 PM
He'll have a man to do that for him surely :wink:

Not unless this guy is willing to do it for free he won't!

greenlex
15-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Same as everyone else. Last season finished in May. Was it relaid then and again since? I thought it was a new pitch installed last year and I wasn't aware that it had been done since. Maybe I'm getting confused as relaid again makes it sound like it's been done on a regular basis.
New pitch the same time as the new east stand. Relaid at the end of the season which was only a couple of months ago hence the agnst about it bedding in. Why would it have been done twice in two months with no games?

the happy hibee
15-07-2011, 12:39 PM
New pitch the same time as the new east stand. Relaid at the end of the season which was only a couple of months ago hence the agnst about it bedding in. Why would it have been done twice in two months with no games?
its not been relaid its just been seeded and top dressed!

alfie
15-07-2011, 12:44 PM
its not been relaid its just been seeded and top dressed!

The big question is: have they put more 'top dressing' at one end compared to the other?

surreyhibbie
15-07-2011, 12:49 PM
the pitch wasnt re turfed it was topdressed with top soil and then it was reseeded! the reason the new pitch struggled last year was with it being a young pitch it suffered badly with how harsh a winter it was! it should be a lot better this year and should be a good surface for the whole season! fingers crossed :thumbsup:

sounds more like your son than you, Eddie....:wink:

Sodje_18
15-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Jesus that looks like a paddi field :greengrin

:faf::top marks

greenlex
15-07-2011, 01:58 PM
its not been relaid its just been seeded and top dressed! :rolleyes:

speedy_gonzales
15-07-2011, 02:15 PM
The problem may be due to having 4 uber stands now, so less sunlight is getting to the pitch.
Saying that, it wouldn't be the first time I've been supplied with bad grass in Leith. :greengrin
According to a greenkeeper mate, the bigger issue is lack of wind due to the
shelter from the elements the stands give.
Regardless how well the substrate of the pitch drains water, the grass actually wicks water back to the surface. If there is insufficient ventilation the damp air starts to rot the grass. This is detected by a sulphur based smell just under the surface of the soil.

lapsedhibee
15-07-2011, 05:58 PM
According to a greenkeeper mate, the bigger issue is lack of wind due to the
shelter from the elements the stands give.
Regardless how well the substrate of the pitch drains water, the grass actually wicks water back to the surface. If there is insufficient ventilation the damp air starts to rot the grass. This is detected by a sulphur based smell just under the surface of the soil.

The stadium won't be complete until we have a retractable roof. :agree:

R'Albin
15-07-2011, 06:01 PM

:faf:

R'Albin
15-07-2011, 10:34 PM
1 - 1

Thornhill?:wink:

blairwallace
16-07-2011, 05:35 PM
found this picture that shows some of the pitch

http://yfrog.com/kir5bcj

spike220
17-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I dont know why the club doesnt include more information in the pitch throughout the season. We hear a lot about players and injuries and how they are progressing. I'd be really keen to know the the groundsmen are doing to the pitch and the difficulties they have have and so on... Am I just being a boring so and so, or would anybody else be interested in this?

GGTTH

Bobo
17-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Here's an article on BBC Sport about the postponement that shows a picture of the pitch (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14172808.stm).

Sean1875
17-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Here's an article on BBC Sport about the postponement that shows a picture of the pitch (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14172808.stm).
Is the genuinely a picture of the ER pitch or just a standard photo they fire out for every article regarding a waterlogged pitch? Could be wrong but sure ive seen it before!

seanshow
17-07-2011, 11:43 AM
imo the pitch will still have the same problems as the last 2 years, It starts of perfect for a few months and then instead of being allowed to rest it is over trained on by the team, come the Winter it is already f**ed.

Unless the club buy/hire the Light growing systems like the infirm, it's always going to be the same............or keep off the grass :greengrin and stick to it

Saorsa
17-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Here's an article on BBC Sport about the postponement that shows a picture of the pitch (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14172808.stm).If that's the state of it now, what will it be like efter a few games :bitchy: Have we cut back on pitch maintenance as well as the team we are puting on it.

we are hibs
17-07-2011, 03:17 PM
does any one think that the game vs celtic is in serious doubt i do

Baldy Foghorn
17-07-2011, 03:24 PM
does any one think that the game vs celtic is in serious doubt i do

Not at the moment, but it would need to continue to be horrendous rain throughout the week and through next weekend for any doubt to occur.... Sure all would be done to ensure the fixture is fulfilled given the tv money etc....

oconnors_strip
17-07-2011, 03:56 PM
there was footage of people trying to clear the pitch of water on ssn last night, it looked very bad, the ball wasnt rolling more than 3 feet. i just hope hibs have people working on the pitch 24/7 this week to have it looking good for sunday!

Beefster
17-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Not at the moment, but it would need to continue to be horrendous rain throughout the week and through next weekend for any doubt to occur.... Sure all would be done to ensure the fixture is fulfilled given the tv money etc....

Rain is forecast for every day except Thursday and Friday. Hopefully, a bit of respite on those days will let them sort it out.

A bit worrying that there are questions about the pitch before we've even hosted a game on it though.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Was there a burst water pipe or not? I hope not, as i'd imagine that would have very serious reprocussions for us during the season.

Nando™
17-07-2011, 04:32 PM
One thing I have never seen is the use of a big sheet akin those used at Wimbledon when it rains.

Could these/have these covers ever been used in the lead-up to a game if heavy rainfall is forecast?