PDA

View Full Version : 10 days till the season starts

Ozyhibby
14-07-2011, 04:25 PM
With only 10 days till we play Celtic, is there anyone else just a little bit concerned that we have only signed three players?
Given that we knew the level of rebuilding required with the amount of departures I'm begining to think we are not going to be any better this season than last.
Am I worrying for no good reason or are we going to be Rubbish again this season?

Diclonius
14-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Pretty ****ing harrowing tbh.

We've had a decent pre season thus far results wise but our squad is nowhere good enough and we have no idea where our manager is going despite being warned at least a month ago.

If we don't have at least 2 more in and either a committed CC or new manager, the forthcoming season will be a nightmare.

allezsauzee
14-07-2011, 04:36 PM
The season might start in 10 days time but the transfer window is open until the end of August and I suspect a few players will be keeping their options open so it may well be difficult to get them all in as soon as we'd like. I think we've still got a bit of firepower left in the transfer market unlike Fat Jim who has probably spent his wad.

marinello59
14-07-2011, 04:40 PM
The transfer window doesn't shut until the end of August. We won't be the only team doing deals right up to the deadline, any available (and worthwhile) players will be keeping their options open to see if they can get something more financially rewarding down South.
Yes, we need new players in but it isn't yet time to start dismissing the season yet.

RIP
14-07-2011, 05:10 PM
In 2011 we have already signed

Scott
Pallson
Thornhill
Sodje
Sproule
O'Hanlon
O'Connor
Sheridan is also a possibility

That's nearly an entire team of first team outfield players!! I'm working on the assumption our support doesn't expect us to sign a fourth goalie - we have Stack, Brown and Antell :rolleyes:

We already have youth in Hanlon, Booth and Wotherspoon as first team regulars. Galbraith, Stephens and Stevenson are on the fringes. We are aiming to bring through Taggart, Crawford, Smith, Horner and others. We have Murray as Captain and Hart as cover

That's 2 teams worth of players and I've probably missed some including loanees!!!

Are we now, Hibs Supporters, increasingly responsible for the biggest squad churn in the SPL over the past 5 years - through our constant clamour for more and more signings?

Madness :bitchy:

Spike Mandela
14-07-2011, 05:19 PM
In 2011 we have already signed

Scott
Pallson
Thornhill
Sodje
Sproule
O'Hanlon
O'Connor
Sheridan is also a possibility

That's nearly an entire team of first team outfield players!! I'm working on the assumption our support doesn't expect us to sign a fourth goalie - we have Stack, Brown and Antell :rolleyes:

We already have youth in Hanlon, Booth and Wotherspoon as first team regulars. Galbraith, Stephens and Stevenson are on the fringes. We are aiming to bring through Taggart, Crawford, Smith, Horner and others. We have Murray as Captain and Hart as cover

That's 2 teams worth of players and I've probably missed some including loanees!!!

Are we now, Hibs Supporters, increasingly responsible for the biggest squad churn in the SPL over the past 5 years - through our constant clamour for more and more signings?

Madness :bitchy:

No we're not mad we just want a good team.

We were very far from a good team last season and 3 signings ain't going to improve us sufficiently for this season IMO.

sahib
14-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Pretty ****ing harrowing tbh.

We've had a decent pre season thus far results wise but our squad is nowhere good enough and we have no idea where our manager is going despite being warned at least a month ago.

If we don't have at least 2 more in and either a committed CC or new manager, the forthcoming season will be a nightmare.

Why worry? The chance of signing a really good player with our resources is very low. Let's try and progress our under19s instead.

Mikey
14-07-2011, 05:25 PM
is there anyone else just a little bit concerned

That's the funniest thing I've seen on here for a long time :greengrin

Ozyhibby
14-07-2011, 05:30 PM
That's the funniest thing I've seen on here for a long time :greengrin

Fair Point.

Mikey
14-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Fair Point.

:greengrin

EasterRoad4Ever
14-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Yes, of course. 2 or 3 injuries and we'll fall apart. I predict, like every season for the last 40 seasons, we'll start of OK'ish competing with most SPL sides other than the OF and the Yams. Once the nights start to draw in (lat September) we'll start to struggle with injuries and bobbly pitches and by Nov regularly struggling to win any games against more physical sides and those that want it more (ie everyone else).

If Hibs offered part season tickets for say the first 2 months of the season, they'd sell plenty. After that.....

Sir David Gray
14-07-2011, 06:29 PM
No agent worth their salt will be advising their clients to go to Hibs whilst this ongoing, and very public, saga with Calderwood has yet to meet a conclusion.

To answer your question though, yes I am a bit concerned about the quality within our squad. I don't believe that it is anywhere near good enough, or strong enough, for where we should be aiming to be and this season will be a struggle if we don't improve on what we have.

GreenPJ
14-07-2011, 06:37 PM
No agent worth their salt will be advising their clients to go to Hibs whilst this ongoing, and very public, saga with Calderwood has yet to meet a conclusion.

To answer your question though, yes I am a bit concerned about the quality within our squad. I don't believe that it is anywhere near good enough, or strong enough, for where we should be aiming to be and this season will be a struggle if we don't improve on what we have.

With the best will in the world a player and agent are bothered by money. Managers change all the time, if they get offered a good deal they will take it.

KWJ
14-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Dundee Utd are one of our main rivals and they're season has already started however they had to start Jon Daly at centre half!

Not just us who is struggling for players.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2011, 06:46 PM
With the best will in the world a player and agent are bothered by money. Managers change all the time, if they get offered a good deal they will take it.

I know that if a player signs for 2 years, they won't necessarily expect the manager who's signed them, to be there for those 2 years but with the way things stand right now at Hibs, Calderwood could sign a player and within a week, he could be off down south and then the new manager comes in and doesn't fancy them.

I know that, putting loyalties aside for one moment, if I had offers from Hibs and a couple of other clubs whose management situation seemed to be a bit more settled, I would sign for the club whose manager's immediate future was not called into question.

Lago
14-07-2011, 06:54 PM
With only 10 days till we play Celtic, is there anyone else just a little bit concerned that we have only signed three players?
Given that we knew the level of rebuilding required with the amount of departures I'm begining to think we are not going to be any better this season than last.
Am I worrying for no good reason or are we going to be Rubbish again this season?
No your not I would be of the opinion that as a club Hibs are totally unprepared for the season to come.

marinello59
14-07-2011, 07:09 PM
No your not I would be of the opinion that as a club Hibs are totally unprepared for the season to come.

Totally unprepared? Have you been to any of the pre-season games then?

R'Albin
14-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Haven't been to see the pre season games yet but I think an rb and another two strikers and we are ready for the new season, although as another poster pointed out we are going to struggle to entice players to come to us with this whole Calderwood saga.

PeterboroHibee
14-07-2011, 08:33 PM
We are totally unprepared for the new season imo. The signings so far have been decent, and a lot of the dross from last year has been moved on, but we are still going to be relying heavily on youngsters, quite a few who have barely played for the club.

Dont get me wrong, Im happy we seem to have a lot of young guys coming through, but they are going to make mistakes. Hanlon looks by far our most accomplished defender, but hes only 21, he is going to make silly errors. We still need more experience at the back! And the effect Booth has on the team shows what a good fullback can do, yet the RB position still hasnt been sorted.

We also need additions up front as a suspension/injury or two and we are going to have no proper strikers.

zlatan
14-07-2011, 09:45 PM
This will be my first league game since the midweek 2-2 draw against Aberdeen when in the Yogi season. I only went to that because I'd been drinking in Glasgow all day and made a last minute decision at Queen Street when going home.

I'm sure it'll be fun.

iwasthere1972
14-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I would rather that Hibs do not make any further signings until CC has said that he is definitely going nowhere regardless of any compensation offer from Brum/Notts Forest or has been shoved in a :taxi by Rodders and :bye: goodbye and good riddance.

bigstu
14-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Im very concerned at our lack of transfer activity!

greenlex
14-07-2011, 10:27 PM
One striker required and that would do it. We would manage.

iwasthere1972
14-07-2011, 10:35 PM
One striker required and that would do it. We would manage.

Aye we might have to. :wink:

Saorsa
14-07-2011, 10:36 PM
One striker required and that would do it. We would manage.Manage what? 10th again? :bitchy:

brydekirk
14-07-2011, 11:02 PM
:agree:
We are totally unprepared for the new season imo. The signings so far have been decent, and a lot of the dross from last year has been moved on, but we are still going to be relying heavily on youngsters, quite a few who have barely played for the club.

Dont get me wrong, Im happy we seem to have a lot of young guys coming through, but they are going to make mistakes. Hanlon looks by far our most accomplished defender, but hes only 21, he is going to make silly errors. We still need more experience at the back! And the effect Booth has on the team shows what a good fullback can do, yet the RB position still hasnt been sorted.

We also need additions up front as a suspension/injury or two and we are going to have no proper strikers.

HibsMax
15-07-2011, 12:44 AM

Hands-up smilie. I'm concerned about the lack of signings but my never-ending optimism and positivity will carry me onwards as always.

I think we will be better than last season but I can't point you to any reason that might convince you to share my opinion (that said, if anyone wants a bet that Hibs will finish 10th or worse, I'll be interested in that action - in case it is not clear, I fully expect Hibs to finish much higher than we did last season). I just have a good feeling. I think we have guys that can create opportunities and guys that will pounce on them. What worries me is the depth of the squad. But there's still time to build on what we have.

Matty_Jack04
15-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Is anyone actually excited for the start of the SPL season? I can't seem to shake last year at all and not just from a hibs point of view I was sick to the back teeth of it all... Refs, Lennon, Celtic,Lennon blah blah ****in blah add the fact we where awful and I wish there was another month or two before we started again

:rolleyes:

Saorsa
15-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Is anyone actually excited for the start of the SPL season? I can't seem to shake last year at all and not just from a hibs point of view I was sick to the back teeth of it all... Refs, Lennon, Celtic,Lennon blah blah ****in blah add the fact we where awful and I wish there was another month or two before we started again

:rolleyes:I've never been less interested in the start of a new season than I am about this one. Good job for Petrie he got my money in April because he wouldnae be getting it now.

RIP
15-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Maybe it's just auld age but I hanker after the time when we bred our own, made the odd signing and got behind the players on the park and gave them 100% backing

It's almost like, in recent seasons, like we are constantly disatisfied with the guys who are currentlywearing the green - somehow believing that the next guy we sign will make us miraculously better

How we create a team spirit with fans like that I don't know. How can you play your heart our for a support that makes it clear it wants you out and the next guy in? Particularly to the 7 or 8 guys who we recently signed and are yet to play a full season for us

It's time we started giving more backing to the players we have imo

The Falcon
15-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Hands-up smilie. I'm concerned about the lack of signings but my never-ending optimism and positivity will carry me onwards as always.

:not worth

Carrick Hibs
15-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Maybe it's just auld age but I hanker after the time when we bred our own, made the odd signing and got behind the players on the park and gave them 100% backing

It's almost like, in recent seasons, like we are constantly disatisfied with the guys who are currentlywearing the green - somehow believing that the next guy we sign will make us miraculously better

How we create a team spirit with fans like that I don't know. How can you play your heart our for a support that makes it clear it wants you out and the next guy in? Particularly to the 7 or 8 guys who we recently signed and are yet to play a full season for us

when was the last time we had a player that looked like he was playing his heart out for us?? Sproule during his first spell, maybe Boozy but IMO we've had loads of chancers and wage theives turn up in the last few years and thats more of a problem for me.

The_Exile
15-07-2011, 09:07 AM
when was the last time we had a player that looked like he was playing his heart out for us?? Sproule during his first spell, maybe Boozy but IMO we've had loads of chancers and wage theives turn up in the last few years and thats more of a problem for me.

Just because a payer doesn't look like he's playing his heart out doesn't make them a wage thief, I doubt anyone over the past few seasons "didn't care", I'd like to think as soon as anyone steps out onto a football pitch they want to win, whether that be the world cup final or a sunday league game.

To get back on topic, I'm not worried for the start of the season, think our 1st 11 is actually very strong, if we get injuries/suspensions, that's when we'll struggle as the 2nd string is fairly thin on the ground. :agree:

matty_f
15-07-2011, 07:50 PM

IMHO, that's the problem that comes with turning over managers at the rate we have been, and why it's crucial that we hold on to CC if we can.

The last few seasons have had us turn over a huge amount of players, with very few of them 'connecting' with the fans. We haven't had a settled starting 11 for years, not even a first pick goalie!

CC's vision of a smaller, tighter squad would help with that. We need to get to know the team again. The boo-boy targets are gone, CC has brought in practically a new side with a good mix of young players in there. We should see the team spirit, fight and quality come through to the point where we start to rebuild that emotional attachment to the players and the team.

We need to feel positive about them and feel we're getting something back, and unless we get some stability in the playing staff and management, we'll struggle to get that.

Happier times are ahead if CC stays, IMHO.:agree:

R'Albin
15-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Happier times are ahead if CC stays, IMHO.:agree:

:agree: Yeah, which is why I was so annoyed when I thought he was leaving, he has created a good side now IMO we just need to sign up Sheridan, Agogo and an RB.

I don't normally look at things in this respect but when you look at the other spl sides.

Killie I think will struggle this season without Mixu, they have also lost Eremenko, Sammon and Taouil and probably won't be as strong.

United as well, they have lost Goodwillie(probably), Conway, Buaben and Gomis and replaced them so far with Rankin and Flood, who IMO aren't as good.

Motherwell- Comparing their squad and our ours looks stronger IMO and I can't see Mccall doing that well with them.

Yams- Although I think they have mde a few decent signings, you never know what could happen when Vlad is in charge and they are losing Skacel and Wallace(probably) and someone else who I can't remember, possibly Zaliukas so I think they are about the same strength they were last season but as I said, anything could happen with Vlad at the helm.

The sheep- I think they will be a decent side next year, but I watched their friendly against Vale and they won 2-0 but tbh didn't look good at all, their keeper looked extremely dodgy!

Tbh comparing ourselves to these teams we are actually doing quite well at the moment although our squad is far too thin, so a few injuries and we could be in trouble. Still I am quite positive about next year and I think it will be lot better than the last. Although ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN!:wink:

HibsMax
15-07-2011, 08:41 PM

:rolleyes:

I'm pumped for this season. I really want to see how we perform after all this speculation.

CapitalHibs
15-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Probably a lot of kike but a thread on the Bounce says we're in talks with Nacho Novo:confused: