PDA

View Full Version : Maribor

Gala Foxes
12-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I see Maribor won 2-0 at home in the 1st Leg of the Champions League qualifier tonight.

Can't believe it's a year since we were over there singing in the square.

Their "Ultras" website Viole Maribor is still worth a visit for some of the crowd clips

down-the-slope
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
yup but we still still should have beaten such an unknown eastern European team :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
I remember they were totally in control against us...excellent possession football that made us look ridiculous.

It was also De Graaf's best game for us. More evidence that the Dutch dynamo can raise his game against champions league opponents.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Magic trip - Ljubljana, Zagreb, Maribor, Ljubljana. Made up for the pish game, the fact the rain was nearly as bad as it was here on Friday afternoon just passed didnae help!
Got back late on the Sat night, managed to make Carlisle the next day which was also a cheery wee trip!

wazoo1875
12-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Magic trip - Ljubljana, Zagreb, Maribor, Ljubljana. Made up for the pish game, the fact the rain was nearly as bad as it was here on Friday afternoon just passed didnae help!
Got back late on the Sat night, managed to make Carlisle the next day which was also a cheery wee trip!

Brilliant trip, that rain was unreal walking back into town after the game. Had to get a taxi back to ljubljana for an early flight £100 :-(

SteveHFC
12-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Best away trip following Hibs. The rain after the game was unbelievable.

I was pretty pissed :greengrin

In the car from Munich Airport to Maribor was a good laugh.

Sodje_18
12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Brilliant footballing side, way ahead of us and still played with such urgency. I still think they would trump any other spl side :agree:

IWasThere2016
12-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Brilliant footballing side, way ahead of us and still played with such urgency. I still think they would trump any other spl side :agree:

Yup - but they were invited onto us by us sitting too deep with C. Teflon Nish upfront.

Hibby D
12-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Up there with the best away trips - I don't think I've laughed as much ever....

Great memories

R'Albin
12-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Yup - but they were invited onto us by us sitting too deep with C. Teflon Nish upfront.

:agree:

Oh and I still to this day wonder how that fence at the front of the stand survived the weight of about 50 angered football fans:greengrin

Cabbage1875
12-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Best trip ever. Shame another one doesnt look like it's in the offing any time soon.

Anyone remember that mad woman in the square with the paintings :not worth

R'Albin
12-07-2011, 11:09 PM

:agree: :hilarious: Charles and Camilla or something?

wazoo1875
12-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Great memories

Cracking photo Diane, that was a good laugh getting pished ootside C&A's. My flags in the bag waiting for the next trip, all we need is 60 points to get one next summer!

Hibby D
12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Best trip ever. Shame another one doesnt look like it's in the offing any time soon.

She fancied the pants off Blackpool :greengrin

Gala Foxes
13-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Ah - the drive from Munich to Maribor, the autobahn in the pissing rain, and the hunt to find our mountain top hotel at the end of the chair lift overlooking Maribor.

Great trip

I also remember trying to explain to two Maribor cops who Irvine Welsh was as they were puzzled why so many photos were getting taken. I got there on that one then they asked who Kano was !!

The square was superb

Kojock
13-07-2011, 07:54 AM

She fancied the pants off Blackpool :greengrin

From where I was standing it looked the other way about....:agree:

Hibby D
13-07-2011, 07:55 AM
From where I was standing it looked the other way about....:agree:

Well he did disappear over to the Barber's for a haircut right enough :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2011, 10:59 AM
We still keep in touch. :wink:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=102652853124964&set=a.102652506458332.1565.100001407490485&type=1&theater

squire
13-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Standing in the rain storm after the game I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Me and my mates stayed one more night in Maribor and ended up at some nightclub way up in the hills. It was one of the most crazy nights ever! The drive back to Munich wasn't pretty

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Standing in the rain storm after the game I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Me and my mates stayed one more night in Maribor and ended up at some nightclub way up in the hills. It was one of the most crazy nights ever! The drive back to Munich wasn't pretty

I cant remember who it was i was talking to in a bar after the game, but he told me they booked this hotel off the net and they knew it was a bit out the way. When they arrived at the hotel, it was by plane, road and then at the end a cable car. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Ah - the drive from Munich to Maribor, the autobahn in the pissing rain, and the hunt to find our mountain top hotel at the end of the chair lift overlooking Maribor.

Great trip

I also remember trying to explain to two Maribor cops who Irvine Welsh was as they were puzzled why so many photos were getting taken. I got there on that one then they asked who Kano was !!

The square was superb

I cant remember who it was i was talking to in a bar after the game, but he told me they booked this hotel off the net and they knew it was a bit out the way. When they arrived at the hotel, it was by plane, road and then at the end a cable car. :greengrin

Might have been one of your crowd? I had been drinking a little. :greengrin

BonnieFitbaTeam
13-07-2011, 12:23 PM

We were there too. We weren't exactly sure where the hotel was either but when the wee bird in the tourist information office said, "Get off the bus at the very last stop........and then get on the cable-car" we just about shat ourselves :greengrin

Were you the madmen who miraculously found the place by car at about 2 in the morning ?

Bobby's Cinema
13-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Flew to Budapest, 8hour train journey across here :greengrin
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8869035.stm

Another one soon please Hibbys :aok:

Baldy Foghorn
13-07-2011, 03:29 PM

We were there too. We weren't exactly sure where the hotel was either but when the wee bird in the tourist information office said, "Get off the bus at the very last stop........and then get on the cable-car" we just about shat ourselves :greengrin

Were you the madmen who miraculously found the place by car at about 2 in the morning ?

Gala Foxes and myself were two of the said madmen, Five of us in the car driven by big Frank Dougan in the pitch black halfway up a mountain....Scary moments indeed........

Casey1875
13-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Brilliant trip, that rain was unreal walking back into town after the game. Had to get a taxi back to ljubljana for an early flight £100 :-(
Dont start me with maribor taxis! 3hours to get back then missing the flight home and having to stay an extra day. All this after my jubelani got nicked by the police! Still an amazing trip, wish we were doing it again soon.

wazoo1875
13-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Dont start me with maribor taxis! 3hours to get back then missing the flight home and having to stay an extra day. All this after my jubelani got nicked by the police! Still an amazing trip, wish we were doing it again soon.
Well worth the extra day mate, brilliant trip. I'd go back there in a minute!

Kojock
13-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Vignette

Bloody 120 Euro fine in Austria.... GRRRRRR.:rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
13-07-2011, 06:46 PM
It was memorable to say the least. Flight from Edin to Heathrow, Heathrow to Budapest. Hired a car with 3 other guys, drove to Maribor that seemed to take forever. Stayed 2 nights and had a screem. The square was the amazing. Got blootered on the local brew Lasko or something which was a great beer. Needless to say the game was right off. Nice picture in the program of the home game of my flag draped over the big fence in Maribor. Ended up in a pizza place after the game which was in the middle of a forest after a dodgy taxi journey, couldnt find a boozer open late either!!!:confused:

All in all a great trip with plenty cigarettes and alcohol :greengrin

The day before we left one of our intended patrons discovered his passport was out of date with no time to renew he couldnt go. GUTTED he was!!!!

SRHibs
13-07-2011, 07:11 PM
We could've done a lot better against Maribor when we played them IMO, but Yogi got the tactics all wrong.

We should have been set-up to attack from the off. A side that had been letting in barrel-loads of goals isn't one that should be set-up to invite pressure. There was no way we were going to be able to withstand their attacks over the 90 minutes. With Stokes and Riordan at our disposal, attack most certainly would've been the best form of defence. But no, Yogi felt the best plan was to stick Nish up top on his own with our 2 star players on the bench. :rolleyes:

HibbyAndy
13-07-2011, 07:28 PM
We could've done a lot better against Maribor when we played them IMO, but Yogi got the tactics all wrong.

We should have been set-up to attack from the off. A side that had been letting in barrel-loads of goals isn't one that should be set-up to invite pressure. There was no way we were going to be able to withstand their attacks over the 90 minutes. With Stokes and Riordan at our disposal, attack most certainly would've been the best form of defence. But no, Yogi felt the best plan was to stick Nish up top on his own with our 2 star players on the bench. :rolleyes:

3-0 down from the 1st leg and we need goals so he starts with Stokes and Riordan on the bench for the return at Easter rd :rolleyes:

But thats another story, That previous incumbent is well gone.

Gala Foxes
13-07-2011, 08:02 PM

we certainly were - did we not meet you at breakfast in the morning?

hotel was like the one in The Shining

BonnieFitbaTeam
13-07-2011, 08:22 PM
we certainly were - did we not meet you at breakfast in the morning?

hotel was like the one in The Shining

I'm sure we did, aye.

I think there was more to do in the hotel in The Shining !

ronaldo7
13-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Vignette

Bloody 120 Euro fine in Austria.... GRRRRRR.:rolleyes:

And you tipped all of us to remember and get one:aok:

Gala Foxes
13-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm sure we did, aye.

I think there was more to do in the hotel in The Shining !

Jack Nicholson kept the bar open longer in The Shining Hotel & I never heard anyone snoring as much as my room-mate

ronaldo7
13-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Great memories

Just follow the car in front...............Aye ok.

It's the wrong car.................and then trying to find your Hotel at 4am in Maribor..................Nightmare:greengrin

down-the-slope
13-07-2011, 09:09 PM
nice thing about this thread is the humor and good memories...and little to do with football.....

really its all real hibbies need the odd Euro adventure / and or cup run...and our cup runneth over.....

Look at the Dnipro appeal.....more important than football itself....:not worth

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2011, 09:20 PM
nice thing about this thread is the humor and good memories...and little to do with football....

Couldnae agree more, 2nd only to the Dnipro/Kiev trip for enjoying myself!
Unfortunately the matches failed to contribute much of the fun!

Boris
13-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Gala Foxes and myself were two of the said madmen, Five of us in the car driven by big Frank Dougan in the pitch black halfway up a mountain....Scary moments indeed........

Would have been even scarier if we'd been landed with the Fiat Punto with the ski rack he booked in the first place........:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
13-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Would have been even scarier if we'd been landed with the Fiat Punto with the ski rack he booked in the first place........:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

That does not even bear thinking about............:wink:

Hibby D
13-07-2011, 10:34 PM
nice thing about this thread is the humor and good memories...and little to do with football.....

really its all real hibbies need the odd Euro adventure / and or cup run...and our cup runneth over.....

Look at the Dnipro appeal.....more important than football itself....:not worth

That sums it up for me too :agree:

Maybe next year........... :I'm waiti

:cup:

Gala Foxes
14-07-2011, 04:53 AM

Nothing could be scarier than that slip road from the right heading back to Munich through Austria on the Friday & the van that suddenly appeared - I still remember Boris going "Frank, Frank, Frank, FRANK !"

Brilliant trip and brilliant patter

green.oracle
14-07-2011, 12:48 PM

That was Bonnyfitbateam and myself. Great trip, great memories, pity about the team.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The last cable car departs the bottom of the slope at 8pm during the summer. We had to hitch a free lift in the staff cable car at 10pm to go into town. Then get a taxi back which was a 45 minute journey from the centre of maribor up the mountains. Big up to Frank for finding it at 3am in the morning after driving from Munich!!

Unlike another poster, we found maribor taxis fine. The driver (Sasha)who took us home on Wednesday night, gave us his phone number and he came and picked us up early Friday morning. Boy was brand new.:flag::flag:

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2011, 12:51 PM
That was Bonnyfitbateam and myself. Great trip, great memories, pity about the team.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The last cable car departs the bottom of the slope at 8pm during the summer. We had to hitch a free lift in the staff cable car at 10pm to go into town. Then get a taxi back which was a 45 minute journey from the centre of maribor up the mountains. Big up to Frank for finding it at 3am in the morning after driving from Munich!!

Unlike another poster, we found maribor taxis fine. The driver (Sasha)who took us home on Wednesday night, gave us his phone number and he came and picked us up early Friday morning. Boy was brand new.:flag::flag:

:thumbsup: Yip great trip, how far was your hotel from the square? Ours was a bit out too, but only looked about a 5 minute walk on the map. :greengrin

Kojock
14-07-2011, 02:05 PM
:thumbsup: Yip great trip, how far was your hotel from the square? Ours was a bit out too, but only looked about a 5 minute walk on the map. :greengrin

Our hotel was about a five minute taxi ride from Maribor center.

We were struggling to find a drinking hole after the game then we met up with Lix who took us to a Pizza Restaurant where we stayed till it closed about half midnight. We decided to get a taxi back to the hotel and as we were walking to the rank we heard music coming from a cellar bar. It would have been rude not to visit so we went in for a swift half. 4am and several large cocktails later we staggered out and got a taxi back. After a few hours sleep we went for breakfast then had to go back to bed for an hour. The drive back from Maribor to Munich was not the best journey I have ever done. :faf::faf:

Great trip tho, as was Lithuania, Sweden, Dnipro, Latvia, Belgium, Bolton, Blackpool, Carlisle & Blackburn

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2011, 02:13 PM

We couldnt find a drinking hole after the game then we met up with Lix and we went to a Pizza Restaurant where we stayed till it closed about half midnight. We decided to get a taxi back to the hotel and when walking to the rank we heard music coming from a cellar bar. It would have been rude not to visit so we went in for a swift half. 4am and several large cocktails later we staggered out and got a taxi back. After a few hours sleep we went for breakfast then had to go back to be for an hour. The drive back from Maribor to Munich was not the best journey I have ever done. :faf::faf:

I was in that pizza place with Lix too, they came in 20 minutes aafter we arrived. I dont remember you being there??:greengrin:greengrin. We went back to Hibbyradges hotel and had a wee drink there. Yip the car journey back to Munich was a bit queezy.

We stopped off at a service station for some food, and Dave had a bowl of soup and found money in it. :faf: Not enough for a vignette though. :wink:

Kojock
14-07-2011, 02:29 PM
I was in that pizza place with Lix too, they came in 20 minutes aafter we arrived. I dont remember you being there??:greengrin:greengrin. We went back to Hibbyradges hotel and had a wee drink there. Yip the car journey back to Munich was a bit queezy.

We stopped off at a service station for some food, and Dave had a bowl of soup and found money in it. :faf: Not enough for a vignette though. :wink:

I can understand how you didnt see me there as I only sat beside you for a while talking to you :wink:

On the way out we stayed the night in Munich. We decided to play it safe and only have a couple of half pint shandies before retiring to bed for a good nights sleep as we had a long journey to Maribor the next day.

Unfortunately that plan went out the window after the first beer and again we staggered to bed at 4am.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I can understand how you didnt see me there as I only sat beside you for a while talking to you :wink:

On the way out we stayed the night in Munich. We decided to play it safe and only have a couple of half pint shandies before retiring to bed for a good nights sleep as we had a long journey to Maribor the next day.

Unfortunately that plan went out the window after the first beer and again we staggered to bed at 4am.

Cant remember that at all. :faf: Nice pizza though. :greengrin

epperstonehibby
14-07-2011, 03:35 PM
BH
I can confirm you were sitting beside hot shot hamish in that pizza house as i was proping him up.i was the lad who told you our 4-5-1 system was flawed.

Not the soberist trip ever,they cocktails were huge.

BonnieFitbaTeam
14-07-2011, 03:44 PM

I can't believe you can remember his bleedin' name. You truly are the green oracle :wink:

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2011, 04:09 PM
BH
I can confirm you were sitting beside hot shot hamish in that pizza house as i was proping him up.i was the lad who told you our 4-5-1 system was flawed.

I knew i was pissed when i went to the game, but thought i'd sobered up a wee bit by the time we tucked into our pizza. I really dont remember any of that???:greengrin

BS44
14-07-2011, 04:17 PM

We were struggling to find a drinking hole after the game then we met up with Lix who took us to a Pizza Restaurant where we stayed till it closed about half midnight. We decided to get a taxi back to the hotel and as we were walking to the rank we heard music coming from a cellar bar. It would have been rude not to visit so we went in for a swift half. 4am and several large cocktails later we staggered out and got a taxi back. After a few hours sleep we went for breakfast then had to go back to bed for an hour. The drive back from Maribor to Munich was not the best journey I have ever done. :faf::faf:

Great trip tho, as was Lithuania, Sweden, Dnipro, Latvia, Belgium, Bolton, Blackpool, Carlisle & Blackburn

Was that the cellar bar with the disco?

I came out of a pub at closing time and on the opposite side of the lane about 20 police in their riot gear were all huddled together trying to shelter from the rain under a shop canopy. I would have laughed but they all looked peeved off.

Kojock
14-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Was that the cellar bar with the disco?

I came out of a pub at closing time and on the opposite side of the lane about 20 police in their riot gear were all huddled together trying to shelter from the rain under a shop canopy. I would have laughed but they all looked peeved off.

Dont know if there was a disco, there was certainly loud music. The Maribor Ultras were in there and I got speaking to one of them who was built like the proverbial brick *****house. Never felt more relieved when he told me we were ok and they only wanted to fight with like minded groups. :worried::panic:

Lix
14-07-2011, 05:36 PM
BH

I can confirm that I was there.

Actually - everyone seems to have confirmed that already :greengrin

I have some good photos somewhere to prove it ... will go look em out.

BH you were holding tight to the ball you'd cunningly smuggled out of the ground if I remember correctly...

Great trip, rubbish weather, good times :top marks

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I can confirm that I was there.

Actually - everyone seems to have confirmed that already :greengrin

I have some good photos somewhere to prove it ... will go look em out.

BH you were holding tight to the ball you'd cunningly smuggled out of the ground if I remember correctly...

Great trip, rubbish weather, good times :top marks

Hibbyradge has that now. :greengrin

Gala Foxes
14-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I think all of us must have eaten in that Pizza restaurant off the square - if not just to get away from the raving artist woman

Alex Trager
14-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah it was a quality trip, budapest maribor and then ljubljana even managed to get onto the tele