PDA

View Full Version : Sodje Misses Start Of The Season

Chuck Rhoades
11-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Surely a couple of strikers must now be signed?

IanM
11-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Surely a couple of strikers must now be signed?

very vague! why? when? how? who? what? :na na:

YehButNoBut
11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Below from the Scotsman, think that getting Sheridan tied up is vital now

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-striker-Sodje-to-miss.6799526.jp

Sodje will miss the visit of Celtic, Hibs' opening game of the new season, a week on Sunday but he could also be sidelined for longer, leaving Calderwood with a headache with only Garry O'Connor and 19-year-old David Crawford up-front, an area which he'd already admitted was short in numbers.

However, Calderwood could make a move for former Celtic hitman Cillian Sheridan who played the second 45 minutes of Saturday's 3-1 win against East Fife as a trialist, scoring Hibs' third goal after Matt Thornhill had struck twice. The 6ft 5in Republic of Ireland forward is currently with Bulgarian outfit CSKA Sofia having signed a three-year deal last summer, but that move has turned sour and he's seeking a new club.

Sheridan has already turned out for Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers in the United States' MLS, but Calderwood appears hopeful he can add the 22-year-old to his squad in Edinburgh.

He said: "I thought he did all right although he's obviously short of real fitness. He's travelled pretty much all round the world, he's been in America, back to Bulgaria and now he is here. I think his club are willing to do something with his contract and we have the luxury of having him over to see him train. We know pretty much everything there is but if you can get that opportunity, I think we should take it. What we have to do is sell the place to him."

H18sry
11-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Evening news txt says knee injury rules out ER striker :wink:

Jim44
11-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Below from the Scotsman, think that getting Sheridan tied up is vital now

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-striker-Sodje-to-miss.6799526.jp

Sodje will miss the visit of Celtic, Hibs' opening game of the new season, a week on Sunday but he could also be sidelined for longer, leaving Calderwood with a headache with only Garry O'Connor and 19-year-old David Crawford up-front, an area which he'd already admitted was short in numbers.

However, Calderwood could make a move for former Celtic hitman Cillian Sheridan who played the second 45 minutes of Saturday's 3-1 win against East Fife as a trialist, scoring Hibs' third goal after Matt Thornhill had struck twice. The 6ft 5in Republic of Ireland forward is currently with Bulgarian outfit CSKA Sofia having signed a three-year deal last summer, but that move has turned sour and he's seeking a new club.

Sheridan has already turned out for Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers in the United States' MLS, but Calderwood appears hopeful he can add the 22-year-old to his squad in Edinburgh.

He said: "I thought he did all right although he's obviously short of real fitness. He's travelled pretty much all round the world, he's been in America, back to Bulgaria and now he is here. I think his club are willing to do something with his contract and we have the luxury of having him over to see him train. We know pretty much everything there is but if you can get that opportunity, I think we should take it. What we have to do is sell the place to him."

He'll not get much change out of a tenner, the state we're in just now. :greengrin Seriously, 'tho, I'm sure I read that he was keen to get back here and that it was more a case of him selling himself.

Spike Mandela
11-07-2011, 12:05 PM
:faf: This pre season gets better and better. We really get to see the benefit of a smaller squad now :faf:

Cocaine&Caviar
11-07-2011, 12:13 PM
There's always the option of one up top (GOC) and two wingers now we have Ivan on the right, and Galbraith could do a job on the left, pretty pacey wide players.

With Thornhill, Palsson and one other in the middle, hopefully a new creative midfielder

Jamesie
11-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Rod will be going mental - Sheridan will no doubt have just upped his wage demands in response to this news :greengrin

Speedway
11-07-2011, 12:19 PM
There's always the option of one up top (GOC) and two wingers now we have Ivan on the right, and Galbraith could do a job on the left, pretty pacey wide players.

With Thornhill, Palsson and one other in the middle, hopefully a new creative midfielder

The one up top has had major injury problems and so with no GOC or AS, we'll have to play EDG up front, to see if he can avoid sticking him in nets to find out what his best position is.

truehibernian
11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
The pre-season games I have seen so far have seen Hibs playing all their football on the deck, with not a sign of the long ball game. Pace on each flank and using width of the pitch is paying footballing dividends IMHO. Big Sodje will be a miss because of his strength and workrate, but the silver lining is that it will give young David Crawford some valuable game time hopefully.......I think he is a great prospect.

Incidentally, the 19's kick off their Norway tournament today at 5pm I think. Good luck to the young guns.

Cocaine&Caviar
11-07-2011, 12:23 PM
The one up top has had major injury problems and so with no GOC or AS, we'll have to play EDG up front, to see if he can avoid sticking him in nets to find out what his best position is.

I wasnt suggesting we don't sign anyone else, bit maybe that just Sheridan might do it.

Beefster
11-07-2011, 12:43 PM
:faf: This pre season gets better and better. We really get to see the benefit of a smaller squad now :faf:

Aye, we should have kept a big squad of journeymen. It worked so well for the last couple of years.

Spike Mandela
11-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Aye, we should have kept a big squad of journeymen. It worked so well for the last couple of years.

Not what I meant. A small squad by defintion requires us to largely avoid many injuries during season. Already this pre season has put paid to Welsh and Sodje for start of season.

Speedway
11-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Ultimately I think that the more players that we have on the books of limited ability, the less room there will be in the budget for players of a greater ability.

Saorsa
11-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Aye, we should have kept a big squad of journeymen. It worked so well for the last couple of years.You're right it didnae work but we've punted about 17 and signed only 3 replacements with less than 2 weeks 'til the new season starts. That's not a small squad we currently have, it's a ridiculous squad :bitchy:

Beefster
11-07-2011, 02:26 PM
You're right it didnae work but we've punted about 17 and signed only 3 replacements with less than 2 weeks 'til the new season starts. That's not a small squad we currently have, it's a ridiculous squad :bitchy:

And who have we lost that was playing regularly and so there might be a case that we need to replace them? Riordan, Miller, Towell, Dickoh and maybe Vaz Te by my reckoning. There may be more but there's still about 7 weeks of the window left.

We've brought three in and have Galbraith (although if he's as crap as before...) and Thornhill fit.

I was/am expecting more this summer but I won't be hysterical about it until the window closes.

hibsbollah
11-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Sproule could well be a front man this season, which would be no bad thing IMO.

SaulGoodman
11-07-2011, 02:59 PM
It'a always better to miss the start of the season, than to miss the end of the season :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Pre-season showings have GOC quite a bit short of match fitness. No cat-calling or slagging, just a plain fact. To get up to speed, there is a chance that he could leave all his fight in the gym. Asking him to give us 90 mins from the get-go would be a major risk, so it is a truer statement that we have no fit strikers at the moment.

basehibby
11-07-2011, 04:09 PM
This is a bit of a blow as big Sodje was on top form at the end of last season (one of the few bright spots overall).

This certainly ups the ante for getting at least one other striker in before we play the smellies.

KWJ
11-07-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm going to miss Akpo in the first game, hope he's back to his best pronto.

AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO AKPO

frazeHFC
11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Great, more fantastic news. We need players now.

If we sign nobody before the Celtic match i am going to go insane. Carstairs here i come.

hfc rd
11-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Think signing Sheridan and another striker (Airey/Porter or someone else) is vital now.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Think signing Sheridan and another striker (Airey/Porter or someone else) is vital now.

defo, get Shers signed up Rodders:greengrin

ManBearPig
12-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Although sheridan clearly has some attributes both he and GOC are lacking match fitness severely and both very similar style target men we need another striker badly! I agree with comment above that we will see Ivan play both as a winger and striker a lot this season.

Kaiser1962
12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Sproule could well be a front man this season, which would be no bad thing IMO.

Playing just off the last defender would give the other team something to think about right enough especialy if Thornhill hits through balls like he's showed he can.

Fergus52
12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Although sheridan clearly has some attributes both he and GOC are lacking match fitness severely and both very similar style target men we need another striker badly! I agree with comment above that we will see Ivan play both as a winger and striker a lot this season.

just cause sheridan is 6'5 does not mean he is a target-man, neither of them are in the way they play anyway

YehButNoBut
12-07-2011, 11:09 AM
defo, get Shers signed up Rodders:greengrin

:agree: Hope this is not delayed until the CC situation is cleared up as he may end up elsewhere.