PDA

View Full Version : Where will we finish in the league this season?

spike220
11-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Where will we finish in the league this season? I know it's too early to say, but that is what makes it more fun.

I will stick my neck out here, top six defo, 2nd place overall!

GGTTH

DrSpaceMonkey
11-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Champions :-)

Manxhibs
11-07-2011, 08:31 AM
4th but we are going to win the holy grail! :thumbsup::flag:

mr mojo risin
11-07-2011, 08:31 AM
4th place

smurf
11-07-2011, 08:40 AM
As things stand we are bottom six. Based on last season and the squad.

A manager who wants to be here. Along with a quality right back, midfielder and goalscoring poacher could change that to be up there challenging the Yams for third.

Cropley10
11-07-2011, 08:43 AM
6th.

mon the cabbage
11-07-2011, 08:48 AM
4th place

:agree: said that at the end of last season. I just had a feeling that we would.

sambajustice
11-07-2011, 08:55 AM
10th

Sherlock Jones
11-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Champions :-)

:thumbsup:

But... 3rd :wink:

Judas Iscariot
11-07-2011, 09:02 AM
10th again

hibee81
11-07-2011, 09:12 AM
5th in SPL

Semi Final defeat by Ross county in the holy grail

League cup winners against celtic. 1-0

Sylar
11-07-2011, 09:24 AM
8th and out of both cups by the QF stage :agree:

Wilson
11-07-2011, 09:29 AM

7th.

Malthibby
11-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Third & the SC is in the bag this year. I can feel it in me water..again.
GG

matty_f
11-07-2011, 10:01 AM
16th, and even then we'll be lucky.

Seriously, I don't think 4th is too unrealistic, and if we can get a couple of cup runs i'd be happy with it.

Spike Mandela
11-07-2011, 10:05 AM
10th last season. This year.........

Smaller squad, GOC for Riordan, O'Hanlon for Dickoh, pace and width added in Sproule, various positions still weak ie RB, other teams not weakened significantly and an unsettled manager.

At this curent time no evidence to sugest any better than 10th this year.

So I'll say 3rd:greengrin

R'Albin
11-07-2011, 10:12 AM
4th as long as Calderwood stays :agree:

Ringothedog
11-07-2011, 10:16 AM
My prediction is, depending on results, that we will finish between 1st and 12th.

FromTheCapital
11-07-2011, 10:27 AM
3rd, just infront of Hearts.

Think we'll win the CIS Cup...
But get beat in the Scottish Cup Semi's - By Dunfermline...

Jim44
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
7th. - We'll get off to a bad start at home against Celtic, thanks to the mess CC has created, then ICT away (never win there) and never really recover. If we're in the bottom 3 at Christmas, CC will be on his bike and a recovery will take us to 7th. However, if Petrie stops playing harball and we get a new manager in the next few days, we might hover around 6th place and then who knows.

matty_f
11-07-2011, 10:53 AM
7th. - We'll get off to a bad start at home against Celtic, thanks to the mess CC has created, then ICT away (never win there) and never really recover. If we're in the bottom 3 at Christmas, CC will be on his bike and a recovery will take us to 7th. However, if Petrie stops playing harball and we get a new manager in the next few days, we might hover around 6th place and then who knows.

The defeat against celtc will be thanks to the mess that cc created, and nothing to do with the fact that they generally beat us, and most of the rest of the spl, thanks to having vastly superior spending power and therefore better players.

Hainan Hibs
11-07-2011, 10:54 AM
9th

Once it's clear Calderwood will send us down as he does not give a monkeys about the job we will get someone in who will keep us up, however they might actually be able to win a game in the bottom 6 so we will finish 1 place higher than last season.

allezsauzee
11-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Depends on how long Der Hun persists with McCoist. If they stand by him until christmas we'll get 2nd. If they press the panic button early enough then 3rd.

Jim44
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
The defeat against celtc will be thanks to the mess that cc created, and nothing to do with the fact that they generally beat us, and most of the rest of the spl, thanks to having vastly superior spending power and therefore better players.

Correct, but I always I always have a sneaking fancy for an upset in this fixture. This season, no chance for the reason given.

.Sean.
11-07-2011, 11:16 AM
5th or 6th.

Expecting Rain
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I think we`ll struggle around the bottom four, we`ve a poor squad, another period of transition looms ahead, the potential emergence of Booth, Hanlon and Wotherspoon gives us a bit of hope but we are sadly lacking in other areas, a fit Gary O`Connor will be crucial, hope i`m way wrong.:flag:

marinello59
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Correct, but I always I always have a sneaking fancy for an upset in this fixture. This season, no chance for the reason given.

I actually fancy us to win against Celtic on the opening day. I see no signs of the players being upset by the situation.

Where will we finish? No idea.

hibee92
11-07-2011, 11:21 AM
7th.

knocked out the scottish by aberdeen.
knocked out the league cup by rangers.

sunshine1875
11-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Very difficult to call.:hmmm:

I think that there are three teams in the league that are better than than us and I would have included Dundee Utd, but not sure with them as they have lost some good servants to them.

The rest are no better or worse than Hibs. So going by that somewhere between 4th/5th or 12th.

Below is a link to other teams signings. Some unknowns (to me) in there!!!!!

Youl Mawene, defender (Panserraikos), Isaac Osbourne (Coventry), Paul Heffernan, forward (Sheffield Wednesday), Patrick Ada, defender (Crewe); Daniel Racchi, midfielder (York City), Zdenek Kroca, defender (Luton), Danny Buijs, midfielder (Den Haag) and Nicky Law, midfielder (Rotherham)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9510636.stm

Dinkydoo
11-07-2011, 11:29 AM
5th - An average start to the season, drop in form resulting in a bad run in November and December, results begin to pick up January time and a half decent run until the end of the season.

Out the SC before the QF stage and out the League Cup at the QF or SF stage.

Gatecrasher
11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
top 6 with a trip to Hampden, SF or F i dont know

3pm
11-07-2011, 11:51 AM
It'll depend on who stays fit - particularly Stack and O'Connor.

I'll have a guess at 8th.

Keith_M
11-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Somewhere between 8th and 10th.

basehibby
11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
I'll take a stab and say fifth - serious improvement on last year but not enough to break into the Euro places.

That's based on some encouraging signings made so far and the belief that there will be more to come.

R'Albin
11-07-2011, 12:34 PM
It'll depend on who stays fit - particularly Stack and O'Connor.

:agree:

Saorsa
11-07-2011, 01:09 PM
8th at best with this squad as it is.

HibsMax
11-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Can you add a poll and make it public so we can keep coming back to it and reminding people of what they said? :devil:

I think we'll finish top six but if you want something more specific, hmmmm, 4th.

SRHibs
11-07-2011, 01:30 PM
6th or 7th.

HibbyAndy
11-07-2011, 01:38 PM
9th.

YehButNoBut
11-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Probably just make it to 6th, and the last 8 of one of the cups.

Hopefully proved wrong and we do better but not hopeful at the moment. :flag:

The Voice Of Reason
11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Bottom 6 - 7th at best.

Jamesie
11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
9th - 12th.

basehibby
11-07-2011, 03:42 PM
This is about the most wildly varying prediction thread I've ever seen - anything from 2nd to 11th in there - thankfully noone seems to think we'll be relegated - but wot no champions

HibsMax
11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I think we need to have a big kitty. Everyone guesses where we will finish. Everyone who is correct splits the pot. :)

Andy74
11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Someone will need to explain to me how all this adds up.

Hughes a distant memory along with the likes of Nish, Rankin, Hogg, Miller, McBride and Dickoh. Stokes and Bamba no longer around to cause trouble.

A manager who most people seem to rate who has also been able to sign ten of his own players now.

Why on earth would we be expecting any less that 4th or 5th place?

Sherlock Jones
11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
This is about the most wildly varying prediction thread I've ever seen - anything from 2nd to 11th in there - thankfully noone seems to think we'll be relegated - but wot no champions

2nd post :greengrin

Arch Stanton
11-07-2011, 04:09 PM

Hughes a distant memory along with the likes of Nish, Rankin, Hogg, Miller, McBride and Dickoh. Stokes and Bamba no longer around to cause trouble.

A manager who most people seem to rate who has also been able to sign ten of his own players now.

I don't know about the "we" but I'm expecting us to be challenging for 4th. :agree:

BTW Stokes and Bamba's contribution on the field more than made up for any 'trouble' they caused - assuming they did cause trouble that is.

Northfield Hibby
11-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Present squad bottom six!

Sheridan could be a good signing, with hopefully another 2 or 3 coming in, if we do that then good chance of top six, then anything can happen.

Some good youngsters coming through but they need a few more experienced players to help them.

half.time.draw.
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Present squad bottom six!

Sheridan could be a good signing, with hopefully another 2 or 3 coming in, if we do that then good chance of top six, then anything can happen.

Some good youngsters coming through but they need a few more experienced players to help them.

We would be lucky to make 8th with the present squad, now add 3 or 4 decent players and 4th at least would be realistic.

edwards
11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Although we have slightly improved the squad and unless we actually sign Sheridan and get a right back for the start of the season and a manager that is up for the job, I can't see us doing any better than 6th

Sammy7nil
11-07-2011, 05:16 PM

CC HAS DONE NOTHING TO PROVE HIMSELF AS A SOLID HIBS MANAGER.
We were as poor if not worse than we were under Mr Bear, none of "his" signings look significantly better than we had before. I expect we will have a very inconsistent season and top 6 will be difficult to achieve with this uninspiring manager and squad.

At The Edge
11-07-2011, 05:26 PM
optimistic from me :agree:

I reckon between 4 and 6, more towards 4th...i hope :wink:
think the team as in first 11, will gel together quite nicely very soon, stick in a decent right back as well and bobs yer auntie

:flag:

get it right up ye all the doom and gloomers :na na:

DH1875
11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
The way things stand there's no chance of a top 6 finish which IMO isn't good enough. Still with a bit of luck we could do well in the cups and if we were to win the SC I wouldn't give a toss where we finish.

Sir David Gray
11-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Based on current circumstances, i.e. manager situation and current squad, we'll finish somewhere between 7th and 10th.

Four or five good signings and a manager who commits his immediate future to the club and we could be looking at 4th.

SanFranHibs
11-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Seems about the most we can expect realistically, even if just for the time it might take for this team to gel.

But I will be happy to be proved too pessimistic.

:flag:

matty_f
11-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Totally agree Andy. My expectations of the side this season are much higher than looking at any position in the bottom 6. I think CC has bought well, and his signings all have the potential to improve on last year's team.

I don't read too much into the post-split results of last season, there were encouraging signs in those matches and we should, in theory, reap some kind of benefit from CC's experimenting over that period.

I think we'll see a much more settled starting 11 from back to front, that we'll see the emergence of 2-4 talented young players, that we'll play a better style of football than under Yogi, and that we'll compete in the top half of the table for the majority of the season.

I don't know about the "we" but I'm expecting us to be challenging for 4th. :agree:

BTW Stokes and Bamba's contribution on the field more than made up for any 'trouble' they caused - assuming they did cause trouble that is.

That is my expectation as well.

hfc rd
11-07-2011, 08:34 PM
With the current squad we have, I think it will unfortunately be bottom six about 7th - 9th.

However with a couple more additions like Sheridan, a new RB, a new creative midfielder and striker, we should hopefully have a top six team that will hopefully challenge for Europe and the domestic cups.

essexhibee
11-07-2011, 08:41 PM
9th.

Niffy
11-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Current squad & hassle.... 8th.

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I actually fancy us to win against Celtic on the opening day. I see no signs of the players being upset by the situation.

Where will we finish? No idea.

Hmmm, last time we beat Celtic on first game of the season we were relegated. Current first team would be bottom 6, but hopefully more players to come in and improve on that.

jamieross
11-07-2011, 08:54 PM
After last season I'd be ecstatic with top 6

The Hurricane
11-07-2011, 08:54 PM
definite bottom six as it stands 5 reasons for this MURRAY, STEVENSON, DE GRAFF, GALBRAITH AND THE WORST OF THE LOT HART hate to include Murray in with that lot but I think his injuries and legs have caught up with him. Hope things change and I am proved wrong though.:boo hoo:

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
If we end up best of the rest that will be progress. Don't fancy Killie much this season but I expect a better showing from Pa Broon's lot and they could swap places.

BSEJVT
11-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Can see absolutely no reason for such optimism given the state of the clubs finances, squad and uncertainty re the managers position at present.

But I suppose that's football supporters for you.

Right now I would bite your hand off for a worry free 10th

R'Albin
11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Ca
n see absolutely no reason for such optimism given the state of the clubs finances, squad and uncertainty re the managers position at present.

Whats wrong with the clubs finances?

matty_f
11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Can see absolutely no reason for such optimism given the state of the clubs finances, squad and uncertainty re the managers position at present.

That's a startling but pretty clear indication of just how bad things were last season. I have to say that by about the second week in April I had pretty much seen enough and just wanted the season over.

That said, Sproule, O'Connor, O'Hanlon, and the emergence of some of the younger players has sparked the interest and optimism back into life, and I'm looking forward to the new season.

We could definitely have done without the whole CC farce, that hasn't helped things but by the same token I don't think it's detracted on the players' preparations for the new season. I think CC will remain in charge, and I think that is a good thing because ultimately, I think he's a good manager and will do well at Hibs.

BSEJVT
11-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Whats wrong with the clubs finances?

Even in good years we were losing £2m excluding player sales.

Last Year was a bad one with little sales and large expenditure

Season ticket sales will be down around 20% this year and playing and non playing budgets are being cut hard.

This will impact heavily on quality on the park, so I wouldnt bet hard on many more signings

BSEJVT
11-07-2011, 09:17 PM
That's a startling but pretty clear indication of just how bad things were last season. I have to say that by about the second week in April I had pretty much seen enough and just wanted the season over.

That said, Sproule, O'Connor, O'Hanlon, and the emergence of some of the younger players has sparked the interest and optimism back into life, and I'm looking forward to the new season.

We could definitely have done without the whole CC farce, that hasn't helped things but by the same token I don't think it's detracted on the players' preparations for the new season. I think CC will remain in charge, and I think that is a good thing because ultimately, I think he's a good manager and will do well at Hibs.

For one of the few times in my life I would be delighted to proved wildly wrong, I just cant see it!

Craig_in_Prague
11-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I think around 8th, assuming no decent players are signed from now.

With the season kicking off next week, with no RB, short in CH and CF areas, no creative AM, managers heart not in it, etc......I can see nothing but a tough and crappy season.

I suppose, we can say just the usual for Hibs. :rolleyes:

R'Albin
11-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Even in good years we were losing £2m excluding player sales.

Last Year was a bad one with little sales and large expenditure

Season ticket sales will be down around 20% this year and playing and non playing budgets are being cut hard.

This will impact heavily on quality on the park, so I wouldnt bet hard on many more signings

I don't really get finances, I only sort of get the basics. But we have been making a profit since 2004 am I right in saying? And at the moment we have a few sellable assets (booth and hanlon possiblly more to come) so I wouldnt say that we are in a bad position financially.

As I say though I have a very basic knowledge of finance.

ekhibee
11-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I think we will be bottom 6, but exactly where I don't know. I like Thornhill, unlike a lot of people last season on here who thought he wasn't that great, but I don't know about either O'Connor or Sproule. But then again, I have a different interpretation of the word 'unrealistic' than some others on here. They think that it is unrealistic to finish 2nd, split the OF etc, I think it is unrealistic to pay players 4k and expect them to be anything other than mediocre, and don't insult me by telling me this club can't afford to buy more or pay more, I really just don't believe it. But no doubt I am in a minority.

Removed
11-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Can you add a poll and make it public so we can keep coming back to it and reminding people of what they said? :devil:

I think we'll finish top six but if you want something more specific, hmmmm, 4th.

Are you really sure you want a poll :wink:

brydekirk
11-07-2011, 10:40 PM
definite bottom six as it stands 5 reasons for this MURRAY, STEVENSON, DE GRAFF, GALBRAITH AND THE WORST OF THE LOT HART hate to include Murray in with that lot but I think his injuries and legs have caught up with him. Hope things change and I am proved wrong though.:boo hoo:

brydekirk
11-07-2011, 10:50 PM
I'll take a stab and say fifth - serious improvement on last year but not enough to break into the Euro places.

That's based on some encouraging signings made so far and the belief that there will be more to come.

Septimus
12-07-2011, 05:30 AM
A couple of places above the Jams would suit me fine.

spike220
12-07-2011, 05:47 AM
A good team should be more than the sum of the parts. We haave good enough players to win the SPL if they play together well and work for each other. Talent will never beat hardwork and teamwork.

GGTTH

spike220
12-07-2011, 05:54 AM

Done, now let the fun begin!

GGTTH

R'Albin
12-07-2011, 06:39 AM

So you agree we are going to finish bottom 6 and fifth? :wink:

blackpoolhibs
12-07-2011, 07:55 AM
I dont believe we will finish anywhere near a european place with this squad.

bingo70
12-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I dont believe we will finish anywhere near a european place with this squad.

I would agree that right now we're not good enough for a european place as it stands but i don't think we're that far away from it.

IMO we need another forward or two, a right back (not richie towell) and a creative midfielder then we'd have a pretty decent squad.

What i am pleased about though is that i don't think we've got too many bombscares in the squad that are likely to play so IMO the foundations are there for a decent season, we just need to stop fannying about with this managerial nonsense and get on with it.

CalgaryHibs
12-07-2011, 11:46 AM
No higher than 8th

Brebners Bookie
12-07-2011, 06:16 PM

Dinnae be silly

Arch Stanton
12-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I must confess to being a bit bewildered.

Hibs perennial problem is that teams with less money to spend out-perform us.

However, the conclusion reached by a lot of fans is that the less we spend the worse we will be!

Certainly JH would have subscribed to that view given his exclusion of youth in favour of experience. Something of an "unworkable legacy" if you ask me. :greengrin

I would reckon that if we get Sheridan and ANOther then that will be it. Maybe not the strongest squad in the league but a deal stronger than most.

spike220
15-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Not many people willing to take a punt so far. I'd have thought there would be a few more votes given the huge level of expertise and advice offered by so many to the board and CC!

GGTTH

hailhail22
15-07-2011, 07:30 AM
ive put 6th, think we will be good enough for top 6 but our team wont be consistant enough to be putting up a proper challenge for europe.

Steve20
15-07-2011, 08:06 AM
We are clearly in need of another 3 or 4 signings, but I have giving up hope of that happening.

9th or 10th.

Franck is God
15-07-2011, 01:05 PM
I think we will be in contention for 3rd but will finish 4th probably a few points of Hearts. I'd be happy if our points total got over 50.

I've said in other threads that the current squad reminds me of the one we had when Mowbray arrived, we had talented young players that had a few first team games under their belt and just needed one or two more players to bring it all together.

spike220
21-07-2011, 10:49 AM
looks like 4th or 5th is winning the poll heading into the season so far.

heres hoping we do well anyways.

GGTTH

Spike Mandela
21-07-2011, 10:56 AM
looks like 4th or 5th is winning the poll heading into the season so far.

heres hoping we do well anyways.

GGTTH

Not in the poll I started yesterday mr namesake! 8th position well out in front on mine.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?213845-Hibs-league-position