PDA

View Full Version : Hun suing Hibs for £1 million

hibs0666
09-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Desperado (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Football-hopeful-to-sue-Hibs.6798895.jp)

Mark79
09-07-2011, 11:29 PM
What a right trumpet. Good luck with that one.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
09-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Desperado (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Football-hopeful-to-sue-Hibs.6798895.jp)

How can anyone determine what his future earnings would have been?

For me, Currie was one of the best of the 19s in that team, a grafter with a sweet left foot and he's playing for Berwick Rangers now.

Tell the hun cant to bolt.

chrisski33
09-07-2011, 11:37 PM
He won't win! Remember he's dealing with petrie!

matty_f
09-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't think the boy's got much hope, to be honest. Surely Rangers would have had him insured for stuff like this.

I would seriously doubt that there would be sufficient evidence to make a strong case as well.

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2011, 11:44 PM
There is precedence, isn't there? Ex-Hibee Jim Brown?

iwasthere1972
09-07-2011, 11:48 PM
He recovered enough to play again for Rangers Under 19's so maybe the reason that he left was he wasn't good enough. There's no guarantees that he would have made it big in football even if he did play for Scotland at youth level.

Bring it on.

Hibby D
09-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Out of interest - if he did win the case where would the dosh come from? Would the club be insured for something like this? :dunno:

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Out of interest - if he did win the case where would the dosh come from? Would the club be insured for something like this? :dunno:

I'm thinking some kind of Public Liability insurance, D.... like if you walk into a pub (as if!), and something falls on top of you... etc etc.

Wotherspiniesta
10-07-2011, 12:00 AM
£1m? :hilarious

Give the wee scaff £1 and tell him to put on a lucky dip.

iwasthere1972
10-07-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm thinking some kind of Public Liability insurance, D.... like if you walk into a pub (as if!), and something falls on top of you... etc etc.

That happened to me once in the Western Bar. :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
10-07-2011, 12:06 AM
That happened to me once in the Western Bar. :greengrin

That would be Pubic Liability...:greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-07-2011, 12:08 AM

:greengrin

Hibby D
10-07-2011, 12:09 AM

:sick::sick:

iwasthere1972
10-07-2011, 12:12 AM

iwasthere1972
10-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Suprised this has made the paper.

The player Currie/Hibs can defend with Volenti non fit injuria this is where McShea knew the risks of playing football with full knowledge of the facts and accepted the risk of injury by playing in the game. Even though Currie owes McShea a duty of Care the chain of causation has been broken by McShea voluntarily undertaking the risk by playing football which is a contact sport and anyone who knows about football knows that injuries similar to this happen all the time. If McShea can prove intentional conduct where someone deliberately hits someone or deliberately causes harm. The above defence may not apply if it was proved to be a malicious act.
So personally I don't think he stands a chance of winning this.

So he doesn't have a leg to stand on then. Good.

one day maybe...
10-07-2011, 12:33 AM
So he doesn't have a leg to stand on then. Good.

Sorry I should have looked at the case in more depth. There is a precedence with the case of Condon V Basi 1985.. it would come down to how the judge saw it and the factual evidence available.
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/1985/12.html

Although this is the law in England & Wales.. Scots law may be different on this but I doubt it..

Albion Hibs
10-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Good luck. Surely the player is liable for these actions. I am sure if this was the case the game in all quarters of the world would be in ruins as there is probably 101 joeys that claim they could have made a career from the game "if only this did not happen"....etc etc.

In any event Rod should just perhaps nip through to Ibrox for the next away game, he looks like one of the guys that asked me for a quid last time I parked through there. I am sure they could settle at a fiver which should be enough for a "half bottle of wine" as they like to call it!

CB_NO3
10-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Does this lad have a twitter account?. Am sure after a few threats he may stop this claim:wink:

cam75
10-07-2011, 01:32 AM
http://www.caughtoffside.com/2008/08/11/ex-manchester-united-youth-awarded-45m-for-career-ending-tackle/

Was he good enough to play at a higher level?

Free phone No win No Fee here i think:bye::bye::bye:

hibee92
10-07-2011, 02:54 AM
if he wins this case i'll personally double his compensation. what a clown :bye:

blairwallace
10-07-2011, 03:08 AM
football is a game where injuries happen, surely theres something in a players contract where if the player gets injured the club isn't liable?

Haymaker
10-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Wow, now you cant tackle anyone incase everyone get sued... jesus ****ing christ

Hamish
10-07-2011, 06:05 AM
This one stood out on our city friends forum

No chance of sucess. We've seen several examples at the senior level of Hibs players trying to maim Hearts players and none of that ended up in court. Nor should it.

Just bad luck I'm afraid.

franco
10-07-2011, 06:09 AM
£1m? :hilarious

Give the wee scaff £1 and tell him to put on a lucky dip.

Agreed mate what a chancer :agree:

Wheat Hound
10-07-2011, 07:07 AM
This one stood out on our city friends forum

No chance of sucess. We've seen several examples at the senior level of Hibs players trying to maim Hearts players and none of that ended up in court. Nor should it.

Just bad luck I'm afraid.

But Neil Berry, Pasquale Bruno and Mafia MacKay just slipped when they accidentally stamped/knee-capped/studded our players?

Bostonhibby
10-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Sorry I should have looked at the case in more depth. There is a precedence with the case of Condon V Basi 1985.. it would come down to how the judge saw it and the factual evidence available.
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/1985/12.html

Although this is the law in England & Wales.. Scots law may be different on this but I doubt it..

If a claimant can prove it was deliberate and reckless they have a chance against the player and maybe the club, a judge will have to decide if the tackle was so reckless as to be beyond what is normally the most extreme challenge that could be regarded as part and parcel of the game.

Even then theres a debate about whether any insurance policy would operate to cover a deliberatly carries out act since they are intended to cover unintended outcomes of negligent acts - if its deliberately intended to maim / end careers or the outcome is what the tackler meant arguably no cover.

That would leave your man here up against Rod/the club - good luck wi that one. Rods legendary willingness to part with £1m aside the club may not be vicariously liable for the act of their then employee and then its back to the player.............

grunt
10-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Will an U19 match against Rangers in 2008 have been filmed?

lapsedhibee
10-07-2011, 08:13 AM

"Stupid weegie" isn't exactly headline news but what struck me there was the standard of journalism.

Currie was immediately sent off for the tackle and, despite being a man down, Rangers went on to win the game 5-1

A Hibs player was sent off yet Rangers were a man down? Bring back NOTW.

Kaiser1962
10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Proving intent is practically impossible under any circumstances let alone during a competetive match. The likelihood in most cases like this is the tackle is just a poor one. There will be the occassional one that isnt (Roy Keane, Souness on Beastie) but these are extremely rare.

I feel for the guy but there is a massive difference between potential and achievement. The Huns have previous (Durrant against Simpson) while convienently forgetting assaults carried out by their own players.

How many players at that level make it the first team, or beyond? Precious few in reality.

If a claimant can prove it was deliberate and reckless they have a chance against the player and maybe the club, a judge will have to decide if the tackle was so reckless as to be beyond what is normally the most extreme challenge that could be regarded as part and parcel of the game.

Even then theres a debate about whether any insurance policy would operate to cover a deliberatly carries out act since they are intended to cover unintended outcomes of negligent acts - if its deliberately intended to maim / end careers or the outcome is what the tackler meant arguably no cover.

That would leave your man here up against Rod/the club - good luck wi that one. Rods legendary willingness to part with £1m aside the club may not be vicariously liable for the act of their then employee and then its back to the player.............

lucky
10-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Hibs will be covered for this. It will be the insurance company that defends this action. If he is asking for £1m its likely he will settled for a few thousand. The insurance company will then decide if its cheaper to settle out of court or have big legal fees. 90% of personal injuries cases never reach court.

Matty_Jack04
10-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Great peace of journalism my favourite part is this

Currie was immediately sent off for the tackle and, despite being a man down, Rangers went on to win the game 5-1.

The_Sauz
10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
The lad was never going to make the grade, plus he is a bit of a piss head and like to play the flute :agree:

Hamish
10-07-2011, 09:24 AM
But Neil Berry, Pasquale Bruno and Mafia MacKay just slipped when they accidentally stamped/knee-capped/studded our players?

:agree: amongst others.

LeithBoozy
10-07-2011, 09:49 AM
The worst tackle I have seen lately, was Boyd's forearm smash on wee zemmama. Sorry I forgot, it was only obstruction. :confused:

JohnScott
10-07-2011, 10:02 AM
He won't win! Remember he's dealing with petrie!

Oh please! The same Petrie that involved Yogi in a matter that was not of his making, the same Petrie that met with Yogi days later "for a coffee". Then makes the meeting public by the official website.
The two most annoying things in modern football? The phrase "anyone who knows the game" and gullible football fans.

Antifa Hibs
10-07-2011, 10:14 AM
The wee Hun **** can GTF.

He's noo got a leg to stand on :duck:

Dunbar Hibee
10-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I'd happily break his leg again. Wee hun ****.

CropleyWasGod
10-07-2011, 11:20 AM

:bitchy:

Dunbar Hibee
10-07-2011, 01:10 PM
:bitchy:

Not agree then, no? :wink:

Kato
10-07-2011, 01:10 PM

John Robertson on Danny Lennon was the worst tackle I ever saw, marginally worse than Drew "Disappointed" Busby on Arthur Duncan. In fact if people decided to sue Busby there'd be a queue a mile long - total animal.

Sir David Gray
10-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Surely if the tackle was bad enough, he should be looking to sue Lee Currie and not Hibs? :confused:

There is a precedent of players suing other players over dangerous tackles which have ended their careers and whilst I obviously have no idea about the severity of this particular tackle, if this guy thinks it was bad enough then he should seek damages from Currie and not Hibs.

The only thing I would question is why has it taken him 3 years to decide to take this action?

oconnors_strip
10-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Will an U19 match against Rangers in 2008 have been filmed?

im sure this game was filmed for rangers tv

remember the game well, the huns were the ones who were being dirty little b*******! lee was playing his usual tough tackling game.

Ed De Gramo
10-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh please! The same Petrie that involved Yogi in a matter that was not of his making, the same Petrie that met with Yogi days later "for a coffee". Then makes the meeting public by the official website.
The two most annoying things in modern football? The phrase "anyone who knows the game" and gullible football fans.

gie a rest eh :rolleyes:

truehibernian
10-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Surely if the tackle was bad enough, he should be looking to sue Lee Currie and not Hibs? :confused:

There is a precedent of players suing other players over dangerous tackles which have ended their careers and whilst I obviously have no idea about the severity of this particular tackle, if this guy thinks it was bad enough then he should seek damages from Currie and not Hibs.

The only thing I would question is why has it taken him 3 years to decide to take this action?

Sadly it is the litigious times we live in these days.

If I were Hibs my defence would be looking at the Rangers player's medical records pre injury and post injury, the treatment he received at the time (club doctors/trainers initial treatment on the pitch, conveyance to hospital, subsequent hospital treatment and aftercare by host club), did he play after the injury and to what level, the Ranger's player injury record, Lee's club record at Hibs, his disciplinary record on and off the field of play, the conduct of coaches at the game (were Hibs players encouraged to tackle unfairly), conduct of the players during game and during season, etc etc................and as you rightly state the time it has taken for papers to be lodged (if indeed they have been)...............all in all, my money would be on Hibs to defend this action with some ease :coffee:

Mon Dieu4
10-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Great idea, Im gonna sue Hibs for £1m too they have caused me more pain, suffering and loss of wages than that Hun :thumbsup:

The_Sauz
10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Found this:
So the season starts with only six players on their final year at this level, with Craig McShea still recovering from the
broken leg he suffered at the end of last season.

So in fact he had only one year left on his U19 contract when it happened.
If he was released on medical grounds, then he might have stood a chance on a claim , but he was released after his contract expired, as he was deemed.......mince :agree:

Gettin' Auld
10-07-2011, 02:55 PM
We could always hire Donald Findlay QC to defend us in court.

WindyMiller
10-07-2011, 03:16 PM

He would probably do that if Lee had made it and landed a high paying job.
Unfortunately for Lee he's never going to be a millionaire at Berwick.

frazeHFC
10-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Haha! :greengrin

Speedway
10-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Knowing Rod, this will be settled out of court with Hibs receiving £6m in compo for even daring to sue, Rangers having to play a friendly against the vatican select XI and a knighthood for Rod.

--------
10-07-2011, 06:55 PM
The reason he didn't make it into the Rangers first team was because it was his right leg that was broken. When he came back after the injury he could only use that foot for standing on, so he was exclusively kicking with his left foot....

So Rangers simply had to release him....

I'll get ma coat. :devil:

Sodje_18
10-07-2011, 07:10 PM
The worst tackle I have seen lately, was Boyd's forearm smash on wee zemmama. Sorry I forgot, it was only obstruction. :confused:
And Jelavic sticking the nut in Hanlon and only getting a yellow card, everyone hates them? Aye clearly the SFA don't :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
10-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Great idea, Im gonna sue Hibs for £1m too they have caused me more pain, suffering and loss of wages than that Hun :thumbsup:

:greengrin mental anguish, harder to disprove and you can get a psychiatrist to say anything as long as you look the part, you are half way there when you lie down on the couch and tell them you are a Hibby.

aberhibsfc
11-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Hair of the Dog.