PDA

View Full Version : So - As it stands what is the strongest 11 from what we have seen so far

AlbertK86
09-07-2011, 08:28 PM
For me

Stack

Taggart
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Palsson
Thornhill (c)
No sure yet

GOC
Sodje

matty_f
09-07-2011, 08:33 PM
For me

Stack

Taggart
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Palsson
Thornhill (c)
Galbraith

GOC
Sheridan

Still has it's flaws, but is a decent enough side, IMHO.

AlbertK86
09-07-2011, 08:42 PM
yep still well flawed. Still need five shinings. RB CH LM and two strikers. Was best from what we have at present

matty_f
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
yep still well flawed. Still need five shinings. RB CH LM and two strikers. Was best from what we have at present

CC said in the Hibs TV interview after the game today that he's not looking at a centre-half, as we've got Murray and Stephens who can cover. I don't think a left sided midfielder will come in either, because we've got Stevenson and Galbraith that can play there.

If we sign Sheridan, we'll have him plus GO'C and Sodje, with Crawford looking like he will feature this season, so again I wouldn't be expecting much more to come there either.

Right back is a definite, not sure where else will be seen as an essential area to strengthen, as in midfield we'll have Wotherspoon, Sproule, and De Graaf who can play on the right, Thornhill, Horner, Stevenson, Murray, Palsson and Wotherspoon who can play centrally, as well as the left sided players already mentioned.

I suspect we might still see some movement out of the club from the existing squad, which would then determine which areas became a priority.

At The Edge
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't think we'll see a CH coming in, CC pretty much said as much in his Hibs telly interview, if Cilla signs then the only other signing i can see us making is a right back, as to me, thats our main weakness at the moment, Hart is gash.....although maybe Towell will come back?

The team Matty put up is probably what i'd go for as well when we face the lesser greens in 2 weeks time

Jonnyboy
09-07-2011, 08:51 PM
CC said in the Hibs TV interview after the game today that he's not looking at a centre-half, as we've got Murray and Stephens who can cover. I don't think a left sided midfielder will come in either, because we've got Stevenson and Galbraith that can play there.

If we sign Sheridan, we'll have him plus GO'C and Sodje, with Crawford looking like he will feature this season, so again I wouldn't be expecting much more to come there either.

Right back is a definite, not sure where else will be seen as an essential area to strengthen, as in midfield we'll have Wotherspoon, Sproule, and De Graaf who can play on the right, Thornhill, Horner, Stevenson, Murray, Palsson and Wotherspoon who can play centrally, as well as the left sided players already mentioned.

I suspect we might still see some movement out of the club from the existing squad, which would then determine which areas became a priority.

Who do you think might go Matty?

Cocaine&Caviar
09-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Stack

Wotherspoon
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Thornhill
Palsson
Galbraith

GOC
Sodje

matty_f
09-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Who do you think might go Matty?

I could see Hart and De Graaf going if we can get moves lined up. To be honest, aside from the keepers, they're about all that's left from Yogi's time bar Nid (in his testimonial year), Stevenson and Galbraith (both given new deals by CC).

Jonnyboy
09-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I could see Hart and De Graaf going if we can get moves lined up. To be honest, aside from the keepers, they're about all that's left from Yogi's time bar Nid (in his testimonial year), Stevenson and Galbraith (both given new deals by CC).

Defo as one of our younger posters might say :greengrin

AlbertK86
09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I could see Hart and De Graaf going if we can get moves lined up. To be honest, aside from the keepers, they're about all that's left from Yogi's time bar Nid (in his testimonial year), Stevenson and Galbraith (both given new deals by CC).<br />
<br />

Yep that would be good. Hart especially.... A bombscare

HibbiesandtheBaddies
09-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd like to see Scott Smith given a go as the holding midfielder. Good tackler and a better passer of the ball than Palsson.

Reminds me of a young Kevin Thomson.

PeterboroHibee
09-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Think the majority of the team is already settled, there are one or two though.

Think we need a new RB, would say thats a priority. Look at the impact Booth has on the team, good fullbacks are key! The young boy today looked decent but hes not ready to be thrown in as first choice RB imo, and Im really not a fan of Hart.

Can see Spoony getting played on the left of midfield, he linked up well with Booth when he came on, tucking in a little bit. Was able to drift about as well knowing Booth was there, getting in the box (nearly scored, was a little wide). He can also play in the centre of midfield meaing if the likes of Thornhill push forward he can fill in. Id like to see us bringing another proper left sided player in but with Galbraith already at the club and the likes of Stevenson, cant see it. Would rather we brought in a more creative presence in midfield if we are only looking to sign another couple of players.

Think theres still work to be done on the squad but Im pleased hes trying to bring through boys from the youth team. Theres a fair bit of versatility in the team as well, the players were switching about quite a lot today without having too many problems. Might not be an instant success but theres definitely potential!

California-Hibs
09-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Stack
Wotherspoon O'hanlon Hanlon Booth

Sproule Palsson Thornhill Galbraith

O'conner Sheridan

That, for me, is a very decent starting 11, that will DEFINATLY see us finishing higher up in the league in the up and coming season. That's not to say a few areas still can't be adjusted though. I've put Wotherspoon there because i feel he's the best right back we currently have. If we could make a new signing in that area with Wotherspoon coming on hungry off the bench in games, that would be ideal. A creative midfielder thrown in there also to replace Palsson, so that we have Thornhill doing the grafting and allowing the creative midfielder more freedom.

I definatly feel we are on to a good season ahead if we play that team (hoping that Sheridan signs) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
09-07-2011, 10:01 PM
From the players who currently have a contract at the club;

Stack

Hart
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Galbraith
Palsson
Thornhill
Sproule

O'Connor
Sodje

SUBS

Brown
Stephens
Stevenson
Scott
Wotherspoon
Murray
de Graaf

A bottom six side at the moment.

Haggis Hibby
09-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Stack

spoony
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Stevenson
Palsson
Thornhill

Sproule
O'Connor
Sodje

One sitting midfielder any one out the 3,, will let the fullbacks get forward... think thornhill, stevenson and booth have been the standouts in the games so far

patlowe
09-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Stack

Wotherspoon
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Thornhill
Palsson
Galbraith

GOC
Sodje

I'd go with this but I still think it's a pretty poor side.

Jamesie
09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
I'd go with this but I still think it's a pretty poor side.

One or two injuries in key areas and we're knackered. We don't have enough competition in the side for places too.

fife hfc
09-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I can only base my first eleven on what I saw today and how players played last season.

stack - the best gk we have.
Palsson - not convinced by him as DM and RB is a position he has played and we are weak in.
Booth
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Thornhill looked excellent today and others have seen improvement.
Stevenson best player on park for Hibs in first half and we need two players with energy and able to compete in the SPL
Sproule
Galbraith
Sodjie in team at start but would drop out if sheridan signed and O'Connor got fit
O'Connor if we signed Sheridan then he would drop out until his fitness improved. Once fit I would have O'Connor upfront with Sheridan if he signs.

To me though one or two positions still need improved it is the lack of depth in the squad that is the real problem. Looking at the players above that leaves us with the following eleven

Brown
Taggart Stephens Murray Smith
Wotherspoon De Graff Scott Welsh Horner
Crawford

not too strong a back up squad.

Speedway
09-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Stack

Maloney
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Palsson
Thornhill
Vaz Te

O'Connor
Airey

Subs:
Brown
Taggart
Murray
Stephens
EDG
Sheridan
Sodje

1987green
09-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Stephens should never be anywhere near the starting 11 hes a bomb scare

hibs0666
09-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Stephens should never be anywhere near the starting 11 hes a bomb scare

He's just a bairn.

stokesmessiah
09-07-2011, 11:22 PM
From the players who currently have a contract at the club;

Stack

Hart
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Galbraith
Palsson
Thornhill
Sproule

O'Connor
Sodje

SUBS

Brown
Stephens
Stevenson
Scott
Wotherspoon
Murray
de Graaf

A bottom six side at the moment.

IMHO i dont think thats too bad a team but we are missing quality in key areas. We look pretty good in the final 3rd but i think we really need steadier heads in defence. I also dont think Danny is the right option on the left, i just dont think he is quite ready for it. Sproule since he came back by all accounts seems to have developed his game but Galbraith for me is still a bit heedless chicken. Someone tasty out there pinging balls across the box and as just about everyone has said a new RB and we could be interesting.

One thing that has been mentioned a few times is that on paper the team would not look so bad but a couple of injuries/suspensions and we would be in trouble IMO.

SteveHFC
09-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Stack

Wotherspoon/New RB
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Thornhill
Palsson
Galbraith

O'Connor
Sheridan

BT58
09-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Brown
Taggart. Ohanlon. Hanlon. Booth

Palsson. Thornhill. Sproule

Occonnor Sheridan

Sodje
Palsson ( captain )

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Brown
Taggart. Ohanlon. Hanlon. Booth

Palsson. Thornhill. Sproule

Occonnor Sheridan

Sodje
Palsson ( captain )

gaun the Christmas tree formation :tree

Franck Stanton
10-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Really, really dont know why so many posters go for Hanlon in the back 3/starting line up. He was after all part of our defence last season which conceeded so many goals. Personally I wouldn't even have him as a sub. Just my opinion and I will stick to it. With that in mind my starting 22 from the personell we have at present would be :-

......................................Stack....... ..........................

Wotherspoon.........Pallson ...........O'Hanlon.............Booth

Ivan..................Thornhill............Scott.. ..............galbraith

Sheridan......................O'Connor

Not world beaqters , but enough in my opinion to get us a minimum of top 6.

California-Hibs
10-07-2011, 02:12 AM
He's just a bairn.

And??? Because he's young he can't be a bomb scare?!? Load of rubbish, the boy just simply isn't good enough and i agree, shouldn't be anywhere near a starting Hibs 11. We need to be looking at getting good QUALITY in and now just accepting the poor options we have available on the books.

The_Horde
10-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Stack

New RB Ohanlon Hanlon Booth

Sproule De Graaf (:thumbsup:) Palsson Thornhill Wotherspoon/Galbraith

GOC

SanFranHibs
10-07-2011, 02:59 AM
Livingston? :duck:

greenlex
10-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Even if Sheridan signs we still need another striker that will get goals in double figures numbers for the season. An injury or two up there could be a problem.

lucky
10-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Stack

Taggart
Palsson
O'Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Thornhill
Stevenson
Galbraith

O'Connor
Sodje

Not a great first 11 but enough to be mid table. Biggest problem is the squad is poor. Injuries will see Hibs field a very poor side. We need at least 5 players to bolster the squad. We also need a manager and assistant. The Tache will be loving all these vacancies.

matty_f
10-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Stack

Taggart
Palsson
O'Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Thornhill
Stevenson
Galbraith

O'Connor
Sodje

Not a great first 11 but enough to be mid table. Biggest problem is the squad is poor. Injuries will see Hibs field a very poor side. We need at least 5 players to bolster the squad. We also need a manager and assistant. The Tache will be loving all these vacancies.

We don't have a vacancy for a manager.:confused:

lucky
10-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Well we sure as hell dont have one who wants to be at Hibs.

lucky
10-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Interesting that not one person has picked Ian Murray in their starting 11. Last week he said he expects to start the season as captain. It seems even stranger now that he is getting a testimonial. Former fans favorite now not quoted by most.

Removed
10-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Interesting that not one person has picked Ian Murray in their starting 11. Last week he said he expects to start the season as captain. It seems even stranger now that he is getting a testimonial. Former fans favorite now not quoted by most.

Were you at the Livingston game?

matty_f
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Our most of the games last season...

Hibs90
10-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Brown

Spoony
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Palsson

Scott
Thornhill

Sproule
G'OC
Galbraith/Crawford ( who looks a very good prospect)

Removed
10-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Our most of the games last season...

:agree: sad but true

PeterboroHibee
10-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Its nothing to do with him or his history with Hibs though. He was an excellent player for Hibs but seems to really struggle through games now, not just for pace but for decision making; yesterday for example, giving players too much time and space on the ball, poor passing out from the back which gave East Fife possession.

TheBruce
10-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Let's be honest the names dont matter as long as they do the job on the park and it's pretty obvious from the friendlies so far that we haven't seen anything that we are likely to see first day of the season. Hopefully CC has said he wants to be hibs manager we will see a bit more focus throughout the club from the manager all the way through to the the playing staff! Also considering what what has been going on with CC I think the lads have done pretty well so far !

GGTTH

lucky
10-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Yes why? The point I was making is that not one Hibs fan on here has picked him in their starting 11

Removed
10-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Yes why? The point I was making is that not one Hibs fan on here has picked him in their starting 11

The answer should be obvious to you then if you were there. His arthritis problems hindering him far too much I reckon.

Comiston Hibee
10-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Really, really dont know why so many posters go for Hanlon in the back 3/starting line up. He was after all part of our defence last season which conceeded so many goals. Personally I wouldn't even have him as a sub. Just my opinion and I will stick to it. With that in mind my starting 22 from the personell we have at present would be :-

......................................Stack....... ..........................

Wotherspoon.........Pallson ...........O'Hanlon.............Booth

Ivan..................Thornhill............Scott.. ..............galbraith

Sheridan......................O'Connor

Not world beaqters , but enough in my opinion to get us a minimum of top 6.

best team suggested so far, but still 4 opr 5 players short from being definite European football, which is where we should be

500miles
10-07-2011, 08:08 PM
............................Stack
..Wotherspoon.O'Hanlon.Hanlon.Booth
...Sproule....Palsson.....Thornhill..Stevenson
...................O'Connor..Sheridan (if he signs)

R'Albin
10-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Speaking of vacancies is CC planning to get an assistant?

we are hibs
10-07-2011, 08:12 PM
stack
taggart/wotherspoon
o,hanlon
hanlon
booth
sproule
crawford
scott
galbraith
sheridan
sodje

subs :
brown
smith
de graff
o,conner
murray
stephans
thornhill
handling

need a right back, a striker and a center midfielder

Judas Iscariot
10-07-2011, 08:22 PM
As it stands we look pretty poor and I imagine it'll be another struggle of a season, more so now we have a manager that clearly doesn't want to be here..

The team lacks quality in key positions and can anyone seriously see RP sanctioning anymore signings until CC leaves & if he doesn't leave are we stuck with this lot?

I reckon we'll toil to get out of the bottom 4 unless 3 or 4 more players are brought in..

Anyway, just from the "signed" players, my pick would be..

Stack

Anyone other than Hart
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Palsson
Thornhill
Galbraith

GOC
Sodje

mim
10-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Stack

Wotherspoon O'Hanlon Hanlon Booth
Sproule Thornhill Palsson Sheridan
O'Connor Sodje

Stevenson, if Sheridan not signed.

Franck is God
12-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately my first viewing of the 'new' Hibs has had to wait until this coming Saturday but I would say our strongest 11 is.

Playing Palsson as a holder allows both full backs to bomb forward and I would want Galbraith and Sproule buzzing around O'Connor the whole match looking for flicks and one two's and despite only starting with one out & out forward if played correctly can be very attack minded.

Stack

Taggart---O'Hanlon---Hanlon---Booth

Palsson

Sproule---Wotherspoon---Thornhill---Galbraith

O'Connor

Subs

Stack/Brown
Stephens
Stevenson
Scott
Crawford
Sodje
Sheridan (hopefully)

RoscoHibby
12-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I'd go for.

Stack

Spoony O'Hanlon Hanlon Booth

Palsson thornhill stevenson

Sproule Galbraith

G'OC

Also, those putting the boot into Galbraith and including Sodje, obviously weren't at the Livingston game. Especially the big man, a know he got us a few at end of season and can be a bit of a handful, but really?? Boy is never a fitba player. should've had a hattrick, didn't trouble the goal once. And his 'shot' from van basten type angles, with 3 boys in the middle, was beyond infuriating. Backup at best, hope to god Sheridan signs.

soproni1
12-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately my first viewing of the 'new' Hibs has had to wait until this coming Saturday but I would say our strongest 11 is.

Playing Palsson as a holder allows both full backs to bomb forward and I would want Galbraith and Sproule buzzing around O'Connor the whole match looking for flicks and one two's and despite only starting with one out & out forward if played correctly can be very attack minded.

Stack

Taggart---O'Hanlon---Hanlon---Booth

Palsson

Sproule---Wotherspoon---Thornhill---Galbraith

O'Connor

Subs

Stack/Brown
Stephens
Stevenson
Scott
Crawford
Sodje

Sheridan (hopefully)

Will have my first viewing on saturday as well. I Like this outfit - think we could get what would feel like a new signing with spoony's energy further inside and further forward. Would love to sign Sheridan to give us the option of 4-4-2 with Sodje out just now. probably require a RB also but I would be happy to let Taggart have a good run in the team to begin the season should we fail to bring anyone in.