PDA

View Full Version : SPL Manager & Players Of The Month Awards 2000-01 To 2010-11

THFC6061
07-07-2011, 05:40 AM
The Scottish Premier League introduced Manager & Player of the Month Awards at the start of the 2000-01 season and added the Young Player of the Month Award the season after.

Since their introduction, 99 Manager & Player of the Month Awards have been won, together with 90 Young Player of the Month Awards.

Alex McLeish and Martin O'Neill head the Managers list with 9 awards each, while Barry Ferguson has won the Player of the Month award 4 times.

Derek Riordan won the Young Player of the Month award 6 times.

Overall, 17 of the 18 clubs which have participated in the Scottish Premier League have won at least one monthly award, the exception being Gretna.

Hibernian's managers have been honoured 10 times, with a Hibs footballer winning the Player of the Month award 5 times.

The award for Young Player of the Month has gone to Hibernian 17 times - a SPL record, giving an overall tally of 32 monthly awards.

Scottish Premier League Manager, Player & Young Player of the Month Awards (http://www.myfootballfacts.com/SPL_Manager_and_Player_of_the_Month_Awards.html)

Moulin Yarns
07-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Just for comparison, the big team got a total of 29 monthly awards.

CallumLaidlaw
07-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Mixu is 1 of 3 to win the player & manager award (along with Neil Lennon & Craig Brewster)

Wilson
07-07-2011, 07:36 AM

I blame the mafia.

nonshinyfinish
07-07-2011, 08:18 AM
I blame the mafia.

I blame Gary MacKay.

patlowe
07-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Interesting stats, and the number of young player awards garnered is a nice thing to see. Playing devil's advocate here however, I think hibs were the darlings of the Scottish game and media for a period in the mid noughties, and reckon that's probably got something to do with our decent haul of awards.

Cabbage East
07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
I blame Gary MacKay.

I think he's part of the mafia these days.

nonshinyfinish
07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
I think he's part of the mafia these days.

He would certainly make an excellent horse's head.

Wilson
07-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Interesting stats, and the number of young player awards garnered is a nice thing to see. Playing devil's advocate here however, I think hibs were the darlings of the Scottish game and media for a period in the mid noughties, and reckon that's probably got something to do with our decent haul of awards.

Perhaps we were media darlings because we had the quality that would bring us these awards rather than the other way around.

We have no quality now and the media don't give two hoots about us. Think about it.

These are the awards we did get as well. We have missed out on many more when we felt well placed to attain them. We have underachieved as usual - the hibs way.

tanfield
07-07-2011, 10:04 AM
The Scottish Premier League introduced Manager & Player of the Month Awards at the start of the 2000-01 season and added the Young Player of the Month Award the season after.

Since their introduction, 99 Manager & Player of the Month Awards have been won, together with 90 Young Player of the Month Awards.

Alex McLeish and Martin O'Neill head the Managers list with 9 awards each, while Barry Ferguson has won the Player of the Month award 4 times.

Derek Riordan won the Young Player of the Month award 6 times.

Overall, 17 of the 18 clubs which have participated in the Scottish Premier League have won at least one monthly award, the exception being Gretna.

Hibernian's managers have been honoured 10 times, with a Hibs footballer winning the Player of the Month award 5 times.

The award for Young Player of the Month has gone to Hibernian 17 times - a SPL record, giving an overall tally of 32 monthly awards.

Scottish Premier League Manager, Player & Young Player of the Month Awards (http://www.myfootballfacts.com/SPL_Manager_and_Player_of_the_Month_Awards.html)

I was lucky enough to present 4 of the awards:thumbsup:

AlbertK86
07-07-2011, 10:26 AM
He would certainly make an excellent horse's head.<br />
<br />

He's a horse's arse that's for sure

patlowe
07-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Perhaps we were media darlings because we had the quality that would bring us these awards rather than the other way around.

We have no quality now and the media don't give two hoots about us. Think about it.

These are the awards we did get as well. We have missed out on many more when we felt well placed to attain them. We have underachieved as usual - the hibs way.

I'm not really trying to put down the guys that won those awards, we did have quality but I just think other clubs would look at hibs sitting there in third and wonder why it doesn't really correspond to the club's record over the past ten years. If I was a Motherwell or Aberdeen, or even a Hamilton or Falkirk fan, I'd argue that the young players there should've been recognised more over the years. Also, I'd say we fell out of favour with the media and wider footballing establishment when we stopped playing the game and tried to stand up to the OF.

Anyway, I'm arguing about awards that in the grand scheme of things are just irrelevant corporate nonsense, I just think the stats are interesting.

THFC6061
08-07-2011, 03:55 PM

I had a funny feeling you chaps might enjoy that stat!

:wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
08-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I blame Gary MacKay.

Wee Airdrie Jambo agrees :agree: