PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Adam to Liverpool

SteveHFC
06-07-2011, 08:38 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14051735.stm

Good Move for Him :agree:

frazeHFC
06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Fantastic for him. Glad Liverpool have signed him.

Barney McGrew
06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
An excellent move.

Fair play to him, he had the chance to stay with Rangers but instead decided to test himself elsewhere. Proof to all young scottish players that a move away from the OF can be very good for your career.

edwards
06-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Has been outstanding for Blackpool and deserves this move wish him all the best at Liverpool.

stokesmessiah
06-07-2011, 08:56 PM
An excellent move.

Fair play to him, he had the chance to stay with Rangers but instead decided to test himself elsewhere. Proof to all young scottish players that a move away from the OF can be very good for your career.

Was he not pretty much told he can go ?

essexhibee
06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Deserves it. Showed he can hack it in the EPL of which many were questioning whether he could. Pleased for him both from a personal and a scottish view. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

frazeHFC
06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Henderson, Adam, maybe Downing.....nice to see Liverpool willing to spend more to bring in British players, as they are much more costly than similar players from foreign countries.

Barney McGrew
06-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Was he not pretty much told he can go ?

IIRC he was on a long term deal, but took the option to at first go on loan to Blackpool and then sign permanently because he wasn't happy just to sit on the bench at Ibrox and get the odd game here and there.

blackpoolhibs
06-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I watched a fair bit of him last season, and it would not surprise me one bit if he's a bit part players at liverpool.

Blackpools best midfielder by a mile was Vaughn, and he's out of contract now, i saw the huns were interested a while back.

Charlie will need to get his fitness up a lot, he was a big fish in a small pond at Blackpool, at liverpool he will have a lot more competition, i hope he does it, if so Scotland will benefit from that.

frazeHFC
06-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I watched a fair bit of him last season, and it would not surprise me one bit if he's a bit part players at liverpool.

Charlie will need to get his fitness up a lot, he was a big fish in a small pond at Blackpool, at liverpool he will have a lot more competition, i hope he does it, if so Scotland will benefit from that.

I thought this too. Gerrard, Lucas and Meireles will not be punted to let Adam in, and then there is Henderson etc too.

heretoday
06-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Interesting move. Adam was Mr Blackpool last season - the hub of the team.

On the surface of it it's hardly conceivable that Liverpool would allow him that authority and I don't think he could come up to the fitness levels demanded by a top side either.

I think Kenny must have a plan. Maybees aye......

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Liverpool do their homework, as do Spurs who nearly signed him at the end of the last window. If he gets a long run in the Liverpool midfield he becomes a Scotland first pick.

hibee bouncer
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I thought this too. Gerrard, Lucas and Meireles will not be punted to let Adam in, and then there is Henderson etc too.

Pretty certain I read Meireles is about to be punted! Hope Adam does well though.

Dashing Bob S
06-07-2011, 09:53 PM
He used a bottom-ranking premiership club to get a move to a mid-ranking one. If he has a good season, United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs could be next.

heretoday
06-07-2011, 10:20 PM
He used a bottom-ranking premiership club to get a move to a mid-ranking one. If he has a good season, United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs could be next.

Now I am an Evertonian but I would not class even the Reds of today as mid-ranking. They are a top side and could challenge for the Prem.

Are you being a bit naughty?

Haymaker
06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Thought he was decent last season, not great and seemed to win most of his plaudits for free-kicks and penalties (and rightfully so, some of them were belters!). Can see him being used as a statistic player against those sides difficult to break down, his freekicks could break them.

Iain G
07-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Now I am an Evertonian but I would not class even the Reds of today as mid-ranking. They are a top side and could challenge for the Prem.

The KingKenny effect will wear off and they will be back to the mid table fumblings that are their true place in the EPL, especially when he brings in John Barnes as first team coach :-D

pacorosssco
07-07-2011, 07:03 AM

Blackpools best midfielder by a mile was Vaughn, and he's out of contract now, i saw the huns were interested a while back.

I agree . Ive not watched a huge amount of Blackpool games but I've seen 7 or 8 last season and seen him for Scotland. I dont get the hype. He is still slow and his fitness is questionable. He gets a lot of the ball at Blackpool but wastes it a huge amount of the time. He cant do this at Liverpool. Every pass must be complete and he cant have ten goes at the Hollywood pass. He has done nothing of note for Scotland for me. Ive nought against him and hope he does well but in recent times he is the most over hyped player ever.

Ive thought Barry Bannan has looked a better player on any occasion ive seen him.

Blackpool did they play together when Bannan was at Blackpool and if so who looked the better?

Woody1985
07-07-2011, 08:43 AM
He single handedly changed the game against Spain when he came on. That's how I recall it anyway.

Other than that, I didn't see a great deal of him last season but hope he does well.

J-C
07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
He admitted in an interview earlier in the year that at Rangers he had a bad diet and wasn't the best trainer, knew he was talented but didn't apply himself properly ( this sounding all too familiar ) until he moved south and then started to realise what being a pro footballer was all about, never looked back since, good luck to him as we need more top Scottish guys playing in the EPL.

Phil MaGlass
07-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Good luck the the guy, good news for Scotland and hopefully will be an inspiration for scottish kids.

Auckland Hibs
07-07-2011, 09:28 AM
IIRC he was on a long term deal, but took the option to at first go on loan to Blackpool and then sign permanently because he wasn't happy just to sit on the bench at Ibrox and get the odd game here and there.

What a great example to some of the other greedy players who choose to sit on the bench and collect their £5-£10k a week whilst their careers go down the pan :top marks

TBH I've only seen him play on SKY, but from what I've seen he has the ability to move up to the next level. I would imagine getting his fitness sorted and being surrounded by better players will help him progress - good luck to him, he took a chance in leaving Ibrox and it's clearly paid off with a big move.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2011, 09:29 AM
The KingKenny effect will wear off and they will be back to the mid table fumblings that are their true place in the EPL, especially when he brings in John Barnes as first team coach :-D

No I think you will find that 12 top four finishes out of nineteen seasons means that mid table isn't their true place in the EPL. However if they continue to sign the likes of Charlie Adam it may well be!

hibs4eve
07-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Are all these signings really going to get liverpool back in the top 4 by buying players off a teaM THat just got relegated i don't thinks so?

H18sry
07-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Where will Charlie Adams play? With Liverpool already having Gerrard, Henderson,Lucas,Meireles,Aquilani,Spearing and Poulsen vying for centre mid and wide player's Maxi, Kuyt,Cole and trying to sign Downing and Mata, I think Charlie boy will have to do with a seat on the bench :agree:

AlbertK86
07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I really hope this works out for Charlie as he has loads of natural ability.

He has done really well for Scotland since becoming Blackpool's 'main man'

The reason for this in my opinion is that he plays nearly every game and as such his fitness level has been upped since he was a 'bit part' player at Rangers.

it was similar to the situation when he went out on loan to St Mirren. Main man and got really fit as a result.

Unfortunately I cannot see him being first pick for Liverpool every week (vying with Gerrard and Henderson to name but two) and worry that he will lose that fitness level needed to make him a 'top player'

Hope for his and especially for a Scotland point of view he gets a game every week because if we could get him and Darren Fletcher in centre mid with any two/three of Dorrans, Morrison, Brown and Commons alongside him it would be the strongest midfield we have had for years.

Good luck Charlie.. even though you played for the Gers there is no doubting your talent

Phil MaGlass
07-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Where will Charlie Adams play? With Liverpool already having Gerrard, Henderson,Lucas,Meireles,Aquilani,Spearing and Poulsen vying for centre mid and wide player's Maxi, Kuyt,Cole and trying to sign Downing and Mata, I think Charlie boy will have to do with a seat on the bench :agree:

Love the avatar, sorry,
"I love, you love"
"cos yir only two love"

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
I really hope this works out for Charlie as he has loads of natural ability.

He has done really well for Scotland since becoming Blackpool's 'main man'

The reason for this in my opinion is that he plays nearly every game and as such his fitness level has been upped since he was a 'bit part' player at Rangers.

it was similar to the situation when he went out on loan to St Mirren. Main man and got really fit as a result.

Unfortunately I cannot see him being first pick for Liverpool every week (vying with Gerrard and Henderson to name but two) and worry that he will lose that fitness level needed to make him a 'top player'

Hope for his and especially for a Scotland point of view he gets a game every week because if we could get him and Darren Fletcher in centre mid with any two/three of Dorrans, Morrison, Brown and Commons alongside him it would be the strongest midfield we have had for years.

Good luck Charlie.. even though you played for the Gers there is no doubting your talent

As i said before, i have watched quite a bit of him last season. And believe me fitness is still very much a problem for him. He never tracks back, Blackpool actually set their side up to accomodate that. He was the quarter back if you like player for Blackpool, spraying the passes, and controlling the play.

He was good in the early part of the season, and scored a few and was instrumental in the way they played and won their games.

As the season wore on, he was misplacing passes, not scoring as much and generally not playing very well. In fact the fans were getting on his back.

Maybe that was down to him not getting his move in January, or the opposition shutting him down earlier?

I hope he can step up, as Scotland will benefit if he does.

3pm
07-07-2011, 11:54 AM
As i said before, i have watched quite a bit of him last season. And believe me fitness is still very much a problem for him. He never tracks back, Blackpool actually set their side up to accomodate that. He was the quarter back if you like player for Blackpool, spraying the passes, and controlling the play.

He was good in the early part of the season, and scored a few and was instrumental in the way they played and won their games.

As the season wore on, he was misplacing passes, not scoring as much and generally not playing very well. In fact the fans were getting on his back.

Maybe that was down to him not getting his move in January, or the opposition shutting him down earlier?

I hope he can step up, as Scotland will benefit if he does.

Agree with your earlier post about David Vaughan - he is a silky player. He'll get a decent EPL club no worries.

Charlie Adam changed in Jan - every pass was a 'showboat' pass. No point playing it 10 yards when you can play it 40 seemed to be his new way of thinking. Brilliant when it works, ridiculous when it doesn't....and the accuracy began to drop.

He had the cheek to stand in front of the SKY cameras and say 'It's not all about Charlie Adam'....pity he never believed it!

Still, good to see someone going for £6-7m to a top English team when Rangers didnae deem him good enough. :aok:

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Agree with your earlier post about David Vaughan - he is a silky player. He'll get a decent EPL club no worries.

Charlie Adam changed in Jan - every pass was a 'showboat' pass. No point playing it 10 yards when you can play it 40 seemed to be his new way of thinking. Brilliant when it works, ridiculous when it doesn't....and the accuracy began to drop.

He had the cheek to stand in front of the SKY cameras and say 'It's not all about Charlie Adam'....pity he never believed it!

Still, good to see someone going for £6-7m to a top English team when Rangers didnae deem him good enough. :aok:

signing for sunderland it seems. :agree:

J-C
07-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Lucas is a holding midfielder, Aquilani will never be back at Liverpool, Maxi Rodrigues will be on the move, Cole will also be away, Spearing/Henderson/Poulson are for the future and Gerrard is the wrong side of 30 and becoming injury prone.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Lucas is a holding midfielder, Aquilani will never be back at Liverpool, Maxi Rodrigues will be on the move, Cole will also be away, Spearing/Henderson/Poulson are for the future and Gerrard is the wrong side of 30 and becoming injury prone.

Poulson is 31 and certainly not good enough now or for the future!! :confused:

pacorosssco
07-07-2011, 04:15 PM

adam is over rated and probably wont get a game but lets the love in continue.

its all about hibs

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
adam is over rated and probably wont get a game but lets the love in continue.

its all about hibs

No it's about Adam's move to Liverpool, do try and keep up!

J-C
08-07-2011, 08:46 AM

Christ, didn't realise he was that old :rolleyes:, hadn't really heard of him till he signed last year, hence I thought he was younger, just checked his Wiki and he's been around Europe a fair bit.

Dashing Bob S
08-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

They've been out the top four for a couple of seasons now and I don't see them getting back in anytime soon.

Dalglish was a sentiment appointment, he doesn't have the stuff to be a top manager and isn't anywhere near Ferg/Weng/Arry/or the two Eyeties in stature.

healfyhibee
09-07-2011, 12:38 PM
He scored really well on the new Anfield index which Commoli is using to help pick players. As far as I can tell its quite a decent statistical package. Stats can really help fans with things like this because I have met a few folk mostly mancs that were saying that he was great before he was linked with Liverpool and then useless pish after (within hours in one case...Jambo like in its application I tell thee). Whatever ones bias is the fact is he attracted interest from spurs, villa and the mancs. Is that because he is totally mince?

I personally agree with a lot of what was said about fitness and showboat passes but if you look at the stats then that point of view doesn't quite add up.

I can't find the article where it took you through all the stats (It was on a Liverpool blog to be fair). I'll keep looking and see if I can find it.

18+5 = 23 - 19+3 = 22

http://www.anfieldindex.com/2907/charlie-adam-statistical-breakdown-season-201011.html