PDA

View Full Version : Message to you Rod/Turmoil

Pages : [1] 2

RIP
06-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Seeing as it's the fashion to talk about unworkable legacies can you please examine yours? Gordon Waddell was taking recently about people starting to question your performance

It looks imminent that you will soon have your SIXTH first team coach in 60 months. Indeed, add assistants to that mix that's 10-12 coaches.

Worse still you have seen upwards of 100 players and coaches passing through the club since 2006 - this from a business with a state of the art training centre for youth development. Constant changes in playing style and supporters palmed off with your annual statement that we are merely "in transition" and the manager is "building his team"

If HFC were anything other than a football business you - the man responsible for this shambolic state of affairs would have fallen on your sword some time ago. But those who doubt you are simply dismissed as pursuing an anti-board agenda.

To those critics I say that I have absolutely no loyalty to any chairman or board, past, present or future. They are mere custodians. My loyalty is to Hibernian Football Club

If only Alan Sugar was a celebrity fan. He would simply say .........

Rodney - You are fired!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
This should be fun!

Northfield Hibby
06-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Seeing as it's the fashion to talk about unworkable legacies can you please examine yours? Gordon Waddell was taking recently about people starting to question your performance

It looks imminent that you will soon have your SIXTH first team coach in 60 months. Indeed, add assistants to that mix that's 10-12 coaches.

Worse still you have seen upwards of 100 players and coaches passing through the club since 2006 - this from a business with a state of the art training centre for youth development. Constant changes in playing style and supporters palmed off with your annual statement that we are merely "in transition" and the manager is "building his team"

If HFC were anything other than a football business you - the man responsible for this shambolic state of affairs would have fallen on your sword some time ago. But those who doubt you are simply dismissed as pursuing an anti-board agenda.

To those critics I say that I have absolutely no loyalty to any chairman or board, past, present or future. They are mere custodians. My loyalty is to Hibernian Football Club

Rodney - You are fired!!

Wonder if this gets moved!!!!:wink:

In saying that, I agree:thumbsup:

Gatecrasher
06-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Rodney - You are fired!!

since 2006 we have played in Europe won a cup and missed out on the top 6 only once, ok it hasn't all been good but that's no bad

HibsMax
06-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Does Rod read .net? Maybe you should have sent this in an e-mail to the club....if you want a response that is.

marinello59
06-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Is this an open letter then?:greengrin

Barney McGrew

Rodney - You are fired!!

If you're going to bring other people into a rant, maybe best not to mention a guy who hired seven managers in nine and half years and was universally loathed by Spurs fans during his tenure for openly admitting he treated them like a business and not a football club?

down the slope

Rodney - You are fired!!

Yesssssss, if only , better watch out or you will become one of the usual suspects like myself, it's the only way to be !.

heretoday
06-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Och you leave him alone!

greenlex
06-07-2011, 08:15 PM
How does this performance compare with other clubs? And how many were poached rather than sacked?

Northfield Hibby
06-07-2011, 08:16 PM
If you're going to bring other people into a rant, maybe best not to mention a guy who hired seven managers in nine and half years and was universally loathed by Spurs fans during his tenure for openly admitting he treated them like a business and not a football club?

Has Alan Sugar not got a tache as well?

Mikey
06-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Wonder if this gets moved!!!!:wink:

Why would it? Is there a similar thread to merge it with?

Northfield Hibby
06-07-2011, 08:17 PM

It's a bit like waiting for a 26, there will be another along in a minute!

Jack
06-07-2011, 08:17 PM

You mean Lord Alan of Sugar was a disciple of Rod? :greengrin

sixtwo
06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I might be in the minority here but I feel that this is slghtly harsh on Rod on this occassion.

If Rod was sacking CC, i would agree with you, but, this is an entirely different situation.

CC, Forest, birmingham, hughton and mclaren are all trying to take hibs for mugs. Rod is playing hard ball. If he gets £300K plus for the worst manager we have had since jim duffy, then he should be knighted!

Rod is protecting the club. He has no doubt identified a replacement. Make no mistake, CC is a clown, he has burnt his bridges with the majority of fans and has no future at this club.

snooky
06-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Just wondered ... if RP is a member of Hibsnet, what name is he posting under?

:tin hat::stirrer::timebomb::devil:

Disco Dave
06-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I might be in the minority here but I feel that this is slghtly harsh on Rod on this occassion.

If Rod was sacking CC, i would agree with you, but, this is an entirely different situation.

CC, Forest, birmingham, hughton and mclaren are all trying to take hibs for mugs. Rod is playing hard ball. If he gets £300K plus for the worst manager we have had since jim duffy, then he should be knighted!

Rod is protecting the club. He has no doubt identified a replacement. Make no mistake, CC is a clown, he has burnt his bridges with the majority of fans and has no future at this club.

He isn't protecting the club, he's took this opportunity to protect his own arse, I think he can't believe his luck that other clubs are wanting him and he's using this as perfect timing to make out that he hasn't appointed a dud.

Barney McGrew
06-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Yes, it's snooky :greengrin

lyonhibs
06-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Rodney - You are fired!!

wait a minute. Is this an open letter?

.Sean.
06-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Hopefully he does read it and realises we are sick of the moustachioud person taking us for a ride.

I've never really held an 'anti-Board' agenda but the board is the one constant of the last dozen years and it is them who have made shoddy appointment after shoddy appointment.

Rodders off you go and take the rest of these incumbents with you.

snooky
06-07-2011, 08:49 PM
:applause:

I demand compensation! :gun:

Disco Dave
06-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Looking at Rods infantile stats on his statement about Calderwood bringing in all his players at Christmas, he seems to have forgotten that that we got beaten over 180 minutes by a second division club, which was the lowest point of the season for me.

Jimmy Belter
06-07-2011, 08:54 PM
since 2006 we have played in Europe won a cup and missed out on the top 6 only once, ok it hasn't all been good but that's no bad

In the last 5 Seasons we have finished 6th 3 times , 9th last year & the highest
finish 4th & place in Europe..under Yogi.then we get rid him after 6 or 7 games..

sixtwo
06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Have I missed something here? Why is Rod getting told to GTF?

As I understand it, 2 english clubs are trying to take our worst manager in years. Rod is trying to get us cash as compensation to allow us to replace him.
I think there are too many Sunday Mail readers who have taken Gordon Waddells comments about Rod and suddenly believe rod is the villain in this farce.

Truth is Calderwood has shown no faith or loyalty to hibs.

Rod is showing other clubs that hibs are not going to just bend over when they want to come and shaft us for players or managers.

Well done Rod.

steakbake
06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Would gladly see the back of Rod and Calderwood. I doubt Rod is going anywhere though. We'll be having threads like this for seasons to come. He has a dreadful record.

snooky
06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Would gladly see the back of Rod and Calderwood. I doubt Rod is going anywhere though. We'll be having threads like this for seasons to come. He has a dreadful record.

Aye, one of Barry Manilow's I hear.

marinello59
06-07-2011, 09:01 PM

Angry mobs need a target. It doesn't have to be the right one.

ArabHibee
06-07-2011, 09:06 PM

:tin hat::stirrer::timebomb::devil:

Nah, it's no - it's Smurf!!!
:duck:

Big Frank
06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Looking at Rods infantile stats on his statement about Calderwood bringing in all his players at Christmas, he seems to have forgotten that that we got beaten over 180 minutes by a second division club, which was the lowest point of the season for me.

Infantile stats:coffee:

Read between the lines!

CC is gone. RP knows this. It would be remiss of him to paint CC in anything other than in the best light possible.

Because there is substantial monies at stake.

The Falcon
06-07-2011, 09:08 PM
STF put him there and STF keeps him there.

If you want him out then put up your cash to buy out STF and show us how it should be done.

I will be 100% behind you when you do it.

cad
06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
In the last 5 Seasons we have finished 6th 3 times , 9th last year & the highest
finish 4th & place in Europe..under Yogi.then we get rid him after 6 or 7 games..

Rodneys doing his best for Hibs ,anybody thinks hes not is way of the mark .

Whether Rodneys best is good enough thats another story , if Farmers happy thats it nowts going to change .

As for Yogis Euro jaunt
Moribor thats a name you wont forget .
Austrian training camp ,Nishy our star man ,did we really expect to do something with that team
Hibernian

01 Stack
02 Hart
04 Hogg
06 Murray
20 Hanlon
08 De Graaf
11 Rankin yellow card
17 McBride (Stokes 68)
24 David Wotherspoon (Danny Galbraith 77)
33 Miller
09 Nish (Riordan 68)
Substitutes

21 Smith,
05 Stephens,
15 Thicot,
16 Stevenson,
22 Danny Galbraith,
10 Riordan,
18 Stokes

HibsMax
06-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Hopefully he does read it and realises we are sick of the moustachioud person taking us for a ride.

I've never really held an 'anti-Board' agenda but the board is the one constant of the last dozen years and it is them who have made shoddy appointment after shoddy appointment.

Rodders off you go and take the rest of these incumbents with you.

I read this all the time but not all the appointments are shoddy. Why do some people refuse to even acknowledge that there were good appointments who upped and left us? How is that the board's fault? By all means give the board grief when they hire a dud but why group all appointments into the same basket when they are clearly not of the same ilk?

HibsMax
06-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Yes, the season was only 7 games old but if you think he was punted on JUST those games alone then I think you are mistaken.

And we finished 10th last year.

down the slope
06-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Rod brought in a manager who bought some players, Rod got rid of manager, rod brought in a manager who bought some players rod got rid of manager. Rod brought in a manager.......you know how it goes, don't you see the thread running through everything ?. As i keep on saying he is a disaster when it comes to choices regarding the footballing side of our club , there is something rotten at the core at ER from the players revolt his ten team league idea through to the fiasco which is happening right now , all done on his watch but never a mention from him how much all the failed managers cost us in compo , people you need to lighten up.

Gatecrasher
06-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Yogi was utter pish for us and I have no doubt we would have taken Hamilton all the way in the fight for relegation if he stayed, like I said though it wasn't all fun and games but not exactly bad either.

Jonnyboy
06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Rodneys doing his best for Hibs ,anybody thinks hes not is way of the mark .

Whether Rodneys best is good enough thats another story , if Farmers happy thats it nowts going to change .

As for Yogis Euro jaunt
Moribor thats a name you wont forget .
Austrian training camp ,Nishy our star man ,did we really expect to do something with that team
Hibernian

01 Stack
02 Hart
04 Hogg
06 Murray
20 Hanlon
08 De Graaf
11 Rankin yellow card
17 McBride (Stokes 68)
24 David Wotherspoon (Danny Galbraith 77)
33 Miller
09 Nish (Riordan 68)
Substitutes

21 Smith,
05 Stephens,
15 Thicot,
16 Stevenson,
22 Danny Galbraith,
10 Riordan,
18 Stokes

Indeed. Except it was Maribor :greengrin

Dalianwanda
06-07-2011, 09:29 PM

As I understand it, 2 english clubs are trying to take our worst manager in years. Rod is trying to get us cash as compensation to allow us to replace him.
I think there are too many Sunday Mail readers who have taken Gordon Waddells comments about Rod and suddenly believe rod is the villain in this farce.

Truth is Calderwood has shown no faith or loyalty to hibs.

Rod is showing other clubs that hibs are not going to just bend over when they want to come and shaft us for players or managers.

Well done Rod.

:agree:

sixtwo
06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Rod brought in a manager who bought some players, Rod got rid of manager, rod brought in a manager who bought some players rod got rid of manager. Rod brought in a manager.......you know how it goes, don't you see the thread running through everything ?. As i keep on saying he is a disaster when it comes to choices regarding the footballing side of our club , there is something rotten at the core at ER from the players revolt his ten team league idea through to the fiasco which is happening right now , all done on his watch but never a mention from him how much all the failed managers cost us in compo , people you need to lighten up.

I think you are confused. Rod is not getting rid of this manager, he is trying to make sure he does not go for nothing.

On the subject of recent managers who he has got rid off, who are they???

Mowbray outgrew us. Mixu had us playing **** football and i was quite glad to see the back of him. Yogi would have got us relegated if he was allowed to continue. He had lost it on a scale not seen since duffy in 1998. The only manager we have lost as a direct result of the board, imo, is John Collins.

cad
06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Indeed. Except it was Maribor :greengrin

Bugger your right :greengrin

HibsMax
06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
I think you are confused. Rod is not getting rid of this manager, he is trying to make sure he does not go for nothing.

Mowbray outgrew us. Mixu had us playing **** football and i was quite glad to see the back of him. Yogi would have got us relegated if he was allowed to continue. He had lost it on a scale not seen since duffy in 1998. The only manager we have lost as a direct result of the board, imo, is John Collins.

It could be argued (and probably will) that since the board appointed Mixu and Yogi in the first place, they are accountable. Hard to argue with that but I doubt they did it on purpose. Yes, those appointments turned out to be big mistakes but who among us is perfect and doesn't screw up? Hindsight....

To me the board would be in a much more unstable position if they hadn't hired any decent managers in the last 10 years but that clearly is not true. CC will be remembered for us finishing 10th but I don't think he was given a real opportunity....or didn't want to take it. Who knows, maybe he could take Hibs on to win the Scottish Cup....or maybe he could take us down to Division One. Nobody knows.

down the slope
06-07-2011, 09:44 PM

He got rid of Mr blobby and collins walked because of him, then there was Mixu and then there was Hughes , take your pick from that lot if you like , inspiring stuff eh ?.

HibsMax
06-07-2011, 09:45 PM
He got rid of Mr blobby and collins walked because of him, then there was Mixu and then there was Hughes , take your pick from that lot if you like , inspiring stuff eh ?.

If people are going to have a go at RP for being selective then surely we're no better when we ourselves only look at some of the facts?

Jonnyboy
06-07-2011, 09:45 PM

Ye cannae possibly think that was a bad thing!

The Falcon
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM

Why did Collins walk?

hibee bouncer
06-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Rod Petrie has been a legend at our club. I'm grateful for having him run our club than that tool across the city! He's managed the financial side of things to a degree where managers have had to work there backside off however a cracking stadium & training complex later...means we can start focussing on the players on the pitch!

Anyone who thinks RP is to blame for what is currently going on with CC needs their head testing! Wee reminder that CC wants to go, Petrie isn't forcing him out & clubs are after CC.....Petries fault how??

down the slope
06-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Rod Petrie has been a legend at our club. I'm grateful for having him run our club than that tool across the city! He's managed the financial side of things to a degree where managers have had to work there backside off however a cracking stadium & training complex later...means we can start focussing on the players on the pitch!

Anyone who thinks RP is to blame for what is currently going on with CC needs their head testing! Wee reminder that CC wants to go, Petrie isn't forcing him out & clubs are after CC.....Petries fault how??

A legend ????, no doubt he can manage the financial side of things but he knows the square root of F... all about football , here is a wee tester for you, take a look around the empty seats next season where the ST ticket holders used to be and maybe then you will see the light .

marinello59
06-07-2011, 09:57 PM

When it comes to appointing managers his record is poor. We have the benefit of hindsight though. Weren't some of his appointment acclaimed on here? And he should not have met the players behind JC's back, that was a major mistake.
BUT this particular situation is not off his making though. I think some people here actually believe he has done nothing of merit whilst in charge which is ridiculous.

( I am not so sure the 10 team SPL league was all his idea although it did have pluses as well as minuses for Hibs. I think we have already debated that one to death.:greengrin)

ALF TUPPER
06-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Totally agree :agree:

sixtwo
06-07-2011, 10:01 PM
A legend ????, no doubt he can manage the financial side of things but he knows the square root of F... all about football , here is a wee tester for you, take a look around the empty seats next season where the ST ticket holders used to be and maybe then you will see the light .

The empty seats in the best stadium in the league outside the old firm? The one completely redeveloped in recent years while reducing the debt from £20m?
:aok:

Not a hint of irony:greengrin

To blame Rod for this present situation is totally and utterly laughable!:faf:

7Hero
06-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Rodney - You are fired!!

Great post but unfortunately rodders and tom (ive got a knighthood btw !) are owners of the club and we are stuck with them..

wish we could fire them both, i ok great at saving a club and cutting costs, selling the best players but ***** at anything else.

marinello59
06-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Great post but unfortunately rodders and tom (ive got a knighthood btw !) are owners of the club and we are stuck with them..

wish we could fire them both, i ok great at saving a club and cutting costs, selling the best players but ***** at anything else.

:faf:

sixtwo
06-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Would you prefer a saviour from Eastern europe with a panchant for embarrassing the club at every oportunity?

Be careful what you wish for....

HibsMax
06-07-2011, 10:15 PM

If not for them saving the club you might be a :lolyam: by now. :wink:

WestEndHibee
06-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Mr Williamson was actually taken away from us believe it or not so there goes that segment of argument... and the mixu and hughes were believed by the majority to be a good appointment, but the times at which they left I believe the majority of us were calling out to Rod to get rid of them? Now I dont like where hibs are at the moment but there seems to be another constant here, other than the board, and thats us, THE FANS!

HibsMax
06-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Mr Williamson was actually taken away from us believe it or not so there goes that segment of argument... and the mixu and hughes were believed by the majority to be a good appointment, but the times at which they left I believe the majority of us were calling out to Rod to get rid of them? Now I dont like where hibs are at the moment but there seems to be another constant here, other than the board, and thats us, THE FANS!

Who are above scrutiny. Luckily for us we don't have to make any tough decisions like appointing managers. Imagine if Strachan did come to Hibs and it didn't work out? Going by the recent poll I think he would be a popular appointment. Fast forward 18 months. Hibs are in the doldrums. Daggers out for Strachan quickly followed by daggers out for the board for appointing another dud. I'll bet there would be at least one person who was 100% behind Strachan calling for the board to be sacked.

Of course this is all idle speculation. :wink:

brydekirk
06-07-2011, 10:24 PM

RIP
06-07-2011, 10:25 PM
If Rod was simply our accountant, then I'd give him a tick in the box

But I want to see a man running my team's business who

Has a low staff turnaround
Creates a loyal and motivated team of employees
Doesn't make annual losses with declining turnover
Produces a quality product worthy of our good name
Runs the business with dash and flair - not dour and dismal
Creates entertainment and spectacle in our core business

As a poker player he gets a big thumbs up. But he simply doesn't display the flair, people management, entrepreneurial skill, leadership and talent to take this business forward. It's time to step aside. Until he does we will continue to stutter and shrink as a brand and as a business

RIP
06-07-2011, 10:28 PM

Who's angry? Where's the mob? Who needs a target?

WestEndHibee
06-07-2011, 10:33 PM

As a poker player he gets a big thumbs up. But he simply doesn't display the flair, people management, entrepreneurial skill, leadership and talent to take this business forward. It's time to step aside. Until he does we will continue to stutter and shrink as a brand and as a business

Much more sensible than the "he can get to f***" approach. Especially creating a team that wants to be here. Although its hard to juggle all of these together. However, as an eternal optimist, i do believe its coming, slow as it may be. This next crop of young players seem incredibly promising and hopefully then can be persuaded to stay a bit longer than the last lot through higher wages etc. when these ones eventually move off hopefully the next line will stay even longer... couple this with a good manager who wants to stay longer and we have a winning formula!

WestEndHibee
06-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Who's angry? Where's the mob? Who needs a target?

The mobs on here, they're angry but you're right to ask "who needs a target?"... they have one.

Aubenas
06-07-2011, 10:36 PM

Oh good, that's sorted. All we need to decide is which of the dozen or so Football CEO's in Scotland with these attributes that we target to take over from him.:rolleyes:

Jimmy Belter
06-07-2011, 10:38 PM
QUOTE FROM ROD

" There's nothing to negotiate. They do not have permission to speak to the Hibernian manager. No club has permission to speak to the Hibernian manager

Is it time for Rod to go ?

After the 6th manager in as many years !

No Medium or long term plan in place on the football side !

No manager given a sufficient amount of time to build his own squad !

In the last 6 seasons only in the top 4th once ! (And we got rid off that manager)

Reading his quote that no club has permission to talk to the Hibs manager.

Then if indeed he does leave (CC) then Rod will have lied ........

and it is about time for Rod to fall on his sword!!!!

marinello59
06-07-2011, 10:42 PM
QUOTE FROM ROD

" There's nothing to negotiate. They do not have permission to speak to the Hibernian manager. No club has permission to speak to the Hibernian manager

In the last 6 seasons only in the top 4th once ! (And we got rid off that manager)

How do you work that one out? :confused:That was the situation at the time he made his statement.

brydekirk
06-07-2011, 10:44 PM
:bye:
QUOTE FROM ROD

BEEJ
06-07-2011, 10:46 PM
QUOTE FROM ROD

I'm convinced that you and Yogi are related in some way. :greengrin

No. Not true.

It means that on Tuesday when the statement was put up on the club website, no other club had been given permission by Hibs to speak to our manager.

This could very easily change, however, once another club meets Hibs valuation of CC. At that point it is very likely he will move on.

But that will not mean that RP lied in that statement.

new malkyhib
06-07-2011, 10:55 PM

I'm sorry, but who appointed the worst manager since...well since the last worst manager he appointed?

And on a related point, why make this statement regarding "the unworkable legacy of the last incumbent! via the club website? Why not have a press conference so he can be pressed on what he's saying/meaning?

Oh, I forgot, "the tache" doesn't like his authority questioned, does he?

new malkyhib
06-07-2011, 11:00 PM
STF put him there and STF keeps him there.

If you want him out then put up your cash to buy out STF and show us how it should be done.

I will be 100% behind you when you do it.

or e-mail STF and challenge him about the performance of HIS Board and get referred to ermmm... the Board? i'll be 100% behind you if you do that...

Ed De Gramo
06-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Open letter season on .net :not worth:not worth:greengrin

Rowdy Roddy Petrie is holding out for max compensation.....if we're gonna lose CC, then we are entitled to a decent payment....or would we want to see him leave for sweeties?

Not ideal but potentially some money for the new man to spend?

greenlex
06-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Ye cannae possibly think that was a bad thing!

and he got cash for him. ****ing Genius in my book.

greenlex
06-07-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm convinced that you and Yogi are related in some way

I actually think Jimmy Belter is Yogi the Saddler and have said so numerous times

sevenil
06-07-2011, 11:14 PM
RP is not perfect, but I have to stand up for the man. All the slavering on this thread comes once again, from UNREASONABLE expectations. The facts are that we are a club with limited resources and a similarly limited fanbase - like the rest of the SPL we are always going to struggle against the OF although there will be occasional shafts of glory, from one or other of the non OF in any decade.
Our position and lack of wealth means that we are trawling in the lower reaches for players, management and coaches.
Inevitably there are spells of very poor results which means a management change has to be made. If there are any flashes of success the player or coach who has brought this about, is swiftly headhunted to the west or down south. So there is never going to be any continuity, as there was in say the 1950's
To blame RP for this is daft - seems to me he is much better than the average SPL Chairman/CEO. Be careful what you wish for, we could be a lot worse off -look around the rest of the SPL.

Of course it wasn't always this way, but that's how it is in today's world.

Three cheers for STF and RP !

BEEJ
06-07-2011, 11:16 PM
I actually think Jimmy Belter is Yogi the Saddler and have said so numerous times
:hmmm:

new malkyhib
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
RP is not perfect, but I have to stand up for the man. All the slavering on this thread comes once again, from UNREASONABLE expectations. The facts are that we are a club with limited resources and a similarly limited fanbase - like the rest of the SPL we are always going to struggle against the OF although there will be occasional shafts of glory, from one or other of the non OF in any decade.
Our position and lack of wealth means that we are trawling in the lower reaches for players, management and coaches.
Inevitably there are spells of very poor results which means a management change has to be made. If there are any flashes of success the player or coach who has brought this about, is swiftly headhunted to the west or down south. So there is never going to be any continuity, as there was in say the 1950's
To blame RP for this is daft - seems to me he is much better than the average SPL Chairman/CEO. Be careful what you wish for, we could be a lot worse off -look around the rest of the SPL.

Of course it wasn't always this way, but that's how it is in today's world.

Three cheers for STF and RP !

Aye we could be "a lot worse off" - 11th or 12th in the league maybe?

3 cheers for mediocrity (i think that's called an "oxymoron".

greenlex
06-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Aye we could be "a lot worse off" - 11th or 12th in the league maybe?

3 cheers for mediocrity (i think that's called an "oxymoron".

Only if you take last season as a stat in isolation. Is that not what Petrie us being pulled up about?

Beefster
07-07-2011, 07:04 AM

I've been saying something similar about the entire Board for a while. You'll get nowhere on here with that view though.

Oh good, that's sorted. All we need to decide is which of the dozen or so Football CEO's in Scotland with these attributes that we target to take over from him.:rolleyes:

Rodders isn't the CEO. Either way, why would any CEO have to be taken from the limited gene pool of the SPL? What clubs did Lindsay or Hyland come from?

At the risk of being rude, your post might have been shorter if you can just posted "It can't be done, it can't be done".

The Falcon
07-07-2011, 07:14 AM
or e-mail STF and challenge him about the performance of HIS Board and get referred to ermmm... the Board? i'll be 100% behind you if you do that...

I was pointing out to those that feel very strongly that Rod should go the way that they can do it. They can do the job and its easy so crack on and I will be right behind them. If they buy out STF they can appoint a committee of the chosen from Hibs Net, or do the job themselves, and run the club the way they want and rather than bumping their gums about how terrible Rod is they can actually get rid of him, thats what they want after all, and then lead Hibs to unmitigated success after success.

You'd get my vote:wink:

Dr Jimmy
07-07-2011, 07:33 AM
I was pointing out to those that feel very strongly that Rod should go the way that they can do it. They can do the job and its easy so crack on and I will be right behind them. If they buy out STF they can appoint a committee of the chosen from Hibs Net, or do the job themselves, and run the club the way they want and rather than bumping their gums about how terrible Rod is they can actually get rid of him, thats what they want after all, and then lead Hibs to unmitigated success after success.

Your answer to every question or complaint appears to be "do it yourself then". Can you try a bit harder in future or just stop, please.
Que.......

The Falcon
07-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Your answer to every question or complaint appears to be "do it yourself then". Can you try a bit harder in future or just stop, please.
Que.......

So how else do you propose that the folk that are asking for Rod to go get what they want? Grind him down with complaint after complaint?

STF wants Rod in charge and until that changes, or Rod gets pissed off, it will stay that way. Its his money and his decision.

Ray_
07-07-2011, 07:40 AM

People spend thousands of pounds a year on their beloved Hibs, others have stopped spending their money on their preferred option, all because of the dire way we have been performing, in the main, since 2007 & according to you, its wrong to voice discontent, on a website aimed at discussing Hibs. :rolleyes:

Dr Jimmy
07-07-2011, 07:42 AM
So how else do you propose that the folk that are asking for Rod to go get what they want? Grind him down with complaint after complaint?

STF wants Rod in charge and until that changes, or Rod gets pissed off, it will stay that way. Its his money and his decision.

So according to you we have to stay quiet unless we are prepared to either buy the club or get a job on the board?
You really don't get what being a fan is do you.

The Falcon
07-07-2011, 07:45 AM
People spend thousands of pounds a year on their beloved Hibs, others have stopped spending their money on their preferred option, all because of the dire way we have been performing, in the main, since 2007 & according to you, its wrong to voice discontent, on a website aimed at discussing Hibs. :rolleyes:

Thats the difference right there.

CC, any of the coaching staff or any of the players its not really their "beloved Hibs". Its a job. Even those that are Hibs supporters will move at the drop of a hat to our competitors for a few dollars more. Just now its CC and when he goes it will be someone else.

Its a job to them similar to yours and mine. How many folk at your place of work feel the same kind of loyalty to their employers that we do to Hibs? Not many.

Ray_
07-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Thats the difference right there.

CC, any of the coaching staff or any of the players its not really their "beloved Hibs". Its a job. Even those that are Hibs supporters will move at the drop of a hat to our competitors for a few dollars more. Just now its CC and when he goes it will be someone else.

Its a job to them similar to yours and mine. How many folk at your place of work feel the same kind of loyalty to their employers that we do to Hibs? Not many.

So what's that got to do with people keeping their mouth shut [or keyboard silent], when they are not content with what is happening at their club?

The Falcon
07-07-2011, 07:51 AM
So according to you we have to stay quiet unless we are prepared to either buy the club or get a job on the board?
You really don't get what being a fan is do you.

No. But complaining wthout purpose or direction is pointless. Rod is going nowhere and I for one, there are others:greengrin, dont want him too. Could things be better? Of course they could be but they could also be worse, much worse.

McLeish, Sauzee, Wiilliamson, Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Yogi and CC.

3 poached (nearly) 1 ran down is contract and left, 1 won a cup and walked in a huff, and 3 sacked. That seems to be why Rod is getting it tight more than anything else at the moment.

The Falcon
07-07-2011, 07:54 AM
So what's that got to do with people keeping their mouth shut [or keyboard silent], when they are not content with what is happening at their club?

Its about getting real. If you feel strongly about something you offer something constructive or do something about it. I have explained how you can change it.

Or you could lie on your back with your legs in the air whinging like a girls blouse.

down the slope
07-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Its about getting real. If you feel strongly about something you offer something constructive or do something about it. I have explained how you can change it.

Or you could lie on your back with your legs in the air whinging like a girls blouse.

I will be constructive, Rod should go now and make way for someone else and i don't need someone else to explain it either. If you are happy with being a loser then fine but i want someone in charge of Hibs that will turn things round and make us a force in Scottish football again, with Rod the only way is down.

TrickyNicky
07-07-2011, 08:10 AM
No. But complaining wthout purpose or direction is pointless. Rod is going nowhere and I for one, there are others:greengrin, dont want him too. Could things be better? Of course they could be but they could also be worse, much worse.

3 poached (nearly) 1 ran down is contract and left, 1 won a cup and walked in a huff, and 3 sacked. That seems to be why Rod is getting it tight more than anything else at the moment.

I think it may be a bit harsh to jump to that conclusion.

For every go-getter type that only complains when they have a solution, there's plenty that are not.

For some, the whole process is cathartic, letting off a bit of steam with some like-minded fans and I suppose a few that are not.

Some I disagree with but rubbing their nose in it is a tad unfair in my book, no-ones getting too hurt and I think that forums amongst a Hibs family would be as good a place as any to have a good wee moan!

Ray_
07-07-2011, 08:18 AM

What? and if you dislike a Government policy, become Prime Minister. Unfortunately, not everybody who dislike's Government Policy is in a position to become Prime Minister, therefore, being polite, your explanation is fatally flawed.

Folk are not just "Or you could lie on your back with your legs in the air whinging like a girls blouse", are they? They are voting with their feet and wallets & that is a serious problem for Hibs, the board would be far more incompetent than is being made out on here, if the choose to ignore that sort of Whinging.

Part/Time Supporter
07-07-2011, 08:22 AM
What? and if you dislike a Government policy, become Prime Minister. Unfortunately, not everybody who dislike's Government Policy is in a position to become Prime Minister, therefore, being polite, your explanation is fatally flawed.

Folk are not just "Or you could lie on your back with your legs in the air whinging like a girls blouse", are they? They are voting with their feet and wallets & that is a serious problem for Hibs, the board would be far more incompetent than is being made out on here, if the choose to ignore that sort of Whinging.

Hibernian FC isn't a democracy. You don't have to become Prime Minister to get rid of (or prevent someone becoming) the Prime Minister (ask R Murdoch).

Ray_
07-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Hibernian FC isn't a democracy.

No, its a business & like any business, it needs to maximise its custom.

WestEndHibee
07-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I will be constructive, Rod should go now and make way for someone else and i don't need someone else to explain it either. If you are happy with being a loser then fine but i want someone in charge of Hibs that will turn things round and make us a force in Scottish football again, with Rod the only way is down.

When will you be constructive?

Ray_
07-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Hibernian FC isn't a democracy. You don't have to become Prime Minister to get rid of (or prevent someone becoming) the Prime Minister (ask R Murdoch).

Despite what his editor thought, thankfully people can see past page three & not believe everything that rag writes. It was also very notable that "The Sun" switched alliances when labour became unpopular with the electorate.

Siralbertkidd
07-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Totally fed up with the Rod/BOD bashing on here.

Simple question - is there another Board in the SPL you would rather have in place of ours?

I dont think so.

Everybody seems to want everybody at Hibs to GTF, but dont say what is to be put in their place, and how it is to be realistically funded.

I am happy with Rod, I am happy to give Calderwood more time, I am happy to have a Season Ticket and a Club that will get better results.

portyfelly
07-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Stop your messing around
Better think of your future
Time you straighten right out
Creating problems in town

or am I missing the jist of this:duck::duck:

smurf
07-07-2011, 08:44 AM
A few folk like to suggest i have some personal issue with Rodders. I don't. I believe he always acts in what he believes and sees as the best interests of our football club. I've no issue with that. I compare that to Romanov (ok different as he's the actual owner but IMHO Rodders and Sir Tom are two peas in a pod when it comes to leadership and direction at ER) with the Yams and i see huge fundamental differences. And i most certainly don't envy their position.:wink:

My 'issues' with Rodders and the board is that i feel they need to concentrate more on the actual 'Football Team'. Not signing players :wink: or selecting the team :greengrin of course.... I think the strategy is to focus too hard on the actual 'Football club' believing that there will be a natural positive knock on effect... Whereas i believe that if the focus was more on the 'Football Team' then there would be much more positive knock on effect on the 'Football Club' by getting that right. Proof is the 2005-2006 & 2006-2007 seasons.

What i mean by that is more leadership from the board into performance and results on the 'Football club' side. Which would mean that their remuneration would be rewarded by the results in this area also and not just the overall club.

There has to be more leadership than just once a year reminding us of the importance of buying season tickets and being tough negotiators when any of our footballing staff are wanted elsewhere.

Lucius Apuleius
07-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Difference to me between wanting a new PM and a new football club director is this. I am pretty sure those who want a new PM will quite happily say who they would rather have. It has been asked many times over the past few days/weeks/months/years (delete as appropriate) who people would prefer to take RP's place. Do not recall seeing many nominees. STF owns Hibs, RP is next biggest share holder. If he gets rid of RP, or RP walks, who do you think will come in? Someone else who will answer to STF. Same old same old. Now, I personally am not advocating STF walks away, far from it, the man in charge has done an absolutely sterling job so far of bringing things under control finance wise whilst building the infrastructure. Now is the time, I believe when money will be spent on the pitch.

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Of course there's more than one way to interpret those appointments and their departures - but however you do it we may well be looking at 6th manager in 5 years - however you care to explain that it's too many.

If anything this inevitably looks bad on Rod, on Hibs and potentially our ability to recruit new managers, as, whether correct or not, it suggests something is wrong behind the scenes... or Rod aint got great judgment...

GreenPJ
07-07-2011, 08:57 AM

What does that mean? Forget Rod just now, the football world in Scotland and the rest of the world has changed beyond all recognition. Whether we like it or not we will never be able to compete with Celtic and Rangers in the current climate unless we had an oil barren with millions to waste. Even going back to the real glory days of the 50's we never dominated Scottish football like the Old Firm have for the last 25 years.

We are a club that barely manages to get 10/11K home fans coming through the gates on a regular basis. The poor product on offer is the excuse but when we were playing well and challenging for the 'coveted' position of 3rd place or getting to later stages in the cups we still have a limited growth in numbers through the gate and I believe that if we were getting 3rd place regularly and getting to cup finals we would still struggle to get beyond a regular attendance of 15/16K home fans on a regular basis. We just don't have the sphere of influence we would like to think we have.

Petrie has made mistakes (and some big ones), however, the current position we find ourselves in is not of his making. Yes he appointed Calderwood along with the rest of the board and at that time have no doubt they carried out as much due dilligence as they could in terms of Calderwood's plans, home life etc. I also believe that Calderwood felt that he could make a difference and could manage the long distance relationship issues with the family.

Sadly its not panned out like that and two clubs/people with strong emotional attachments to Calderwood have in the same close season had opportunities arise that would appeal to Calderwood. If Davies had never been sacked and McLeish had never moved would we be in this position I don't think so. We are and whilst I personally would have been happy for him to stay the fan base in general is not and so it is an untenable position.

marinello59
07-07-2011, 09:01 AM
A few folk like to suggest i have some personal issue with Rodders. I don't. I believe he always acts in what he believes and sees as the best interests of our football club. I've no issue with that. I compare that to Romanov (ok different as he's the actual owner but IMHO Rodders and Sir Tom are two peas in a pod when it comes to leadership and direction at ER) with the Yams and i see huge fundamental differences. And i most certainly don't envy their position.:wink:

My 'issues' with Rodders and the board is that i feel they need to concentrate more on the actual 'Football Team'. Not signing players :wink: or selecting the team :greengrin of course.... I think the strategy is to focus too hard on the actual 'Football club' believing that there will be a natural positive knock on effect... Whereas i believe that if the focus was more on the 'Football Team' then there would be much more positive knock on effect on the 'Football Club' by getting that right. Proof is the 2005-2006 & 2006-2007 seasons.

What i mean by that is more leadership from the board into performance and results on the 'Football club' side. Which would mean that their remuneration would be rewarded by the results in this area also and not just the overall club.

There has to be more leadership than just once a year reminding us of the importance of buying season tickets and being tough negotiators when any of our footballing staff are wanted elsewhere.

Don't you think that there were already signs that a change in emphasis was occurring? The infrastructure is now in place which really does give us the edge over other clubs. Where else would the board focus their efforts now?
You ask for leadership? Spending money on a training centre and a stadium fit for the 21st century whilst many fans were demanding short term fixes looks like strong leadership to me. We will reap the benefits of that expenditure for generations to come and despite the current detour we have had to go on due to the situation with our manager, I reckon we are in a pretty strong position overall.

Phil MaGlass
07-07-2011, 09:14 AM
I must say going through 5-6 managers in as many years does absolutely nothing for the confidence/morale of the fans or players and it gives er5es like the yams ammo to batter us with. Rod has to take a big portion of the blame for that, maybe it is time for him to move on. Maybe its time for another person with new ideas to motivate and challenge the next board/team/manager. Problem, i see, is that its all gone stale at Hibs.
We cant afford to keep going through the amount of managers we have been.
We need to sign a manager with a proven track record and pay the big bucks for him , we cant and I repeat CANT afford many more mistakes cos the fans are already talking by not buying ST,s, after years of signing a multitude of players like DVZ, mediocre fitba, getting humped by lower league teams, going through countless managers, enough is enough.

Disco Dave
07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
The numbers have been falling year upon year and I think they will continue to fall until Rod steps aside. Easter Road was like a morgue most of last season.

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 09:57 AM
The numbers have been falling year upon year and I think they will continue to fall until Rod steps aside. Easter Road was like a morgue most of last season.

As a result of a fairly crazy manager and player recruitment strategy. We have signed and released some utter dross in the past few years and sold anyone worth anything.

Just when we were all led to believe the squad would be rebuilt (with quality not quantity?)- within budget constraints of course - this happens. Ivan, Garry, O'Hanlon and............ Oh yeah, Edwin de Graff is back as is Michael Hart.

greenlex
07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Don't you think that there were already signs that a change in emphasis was occurring? The infrastructure is now in place which really does give us the edge over other clubs. Where else would the board focus their efforts now?
You ask for leadership? Spending money on a training centre and a stadium fit for the 21st century whilst many fans were demanding short term fixes looks like strong leadership to me. We will reap the benefits of that expenditure for generations to come and despite the current detour we have had to go on due to the situation with our manager, I reckon we are in a pretty strong position overall.

Saved me a bit of typing there.

Gatecrasher
07-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Thats total BS, people will come back when then football improves whether Rod is at ER or not

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Thats total BS, people will come back when then football improves whether Rod is at ER or not

:agree: Fans will return if there's a winning team on the park. We cant fault what he's done with the finaces at the club. Although it is Petries job to appoint the manager who's job it is to make that happen. I'd prefer someone else was doing that bit, who though i dont know?

Kaiser1962
07-07-2011, 11:35 AM
No, its a business & like any business, it needs to maximise its custom.

And as a business it is owned by its shareholders. The bigger the shareholding the bigger the stake and the bigger the say in the running of the company.

While there are a number of shareholders in Hibs there are only two with a shareholding of any significance. In order to instigate change, particularly at Board level which is what is suggested, you need to acquire, or get support from, the neccessary shareholding/shareholders.

Ray_
07-07-2011, 12:07 PM
And as a business it is owned by its shareholders. The bigger the shareholding the bigger the stake and the bigger the say in the running of the company.

While there are a number of shareholders in Hibs there are only two with a shareholding of any significance. In order to instigate change, particularly at Board level which is what is suggested, you need to acquire, or get support from, the neccessary shareholding/shareholders.

Of course it is all down to two people, the performance of one & the decision making of the other. If the business keeps on becoming less and less attractive for the customers, the only principle shareholder, for the sake of the business, needs to make a decision regarding the person he put in to run it.

If he doesn't make that decision & the decline continuous and therefore so the need to downsize, this will affect the support far more than it would STF, as the cash spent on the bricks & mortar would have more than safeguarded his investment.

Disclaimer:
I am not by any means suggesting that STF motives in running Hibs are anything other than honourable.

Kaiser1962
07-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Of course it is all down to two people, the performance of one & the decision making of the other. If the business keeps on becoming less and less attractive for the customers, the only principle shareholder, for the sake of the business, needs to make a decision regarding the person he put in to run it.

If he doesn't make that decision & the decline continuous and therefore so the need to downsize, this will affect the support far more than it would STF, as the cash spent on the bricks & mortar would have more than safeguarded his investment.

Disclaimer:
I am not by any means suggesting that STF motives in running Hibs are anything other than honourable.

I know your not.

The debate is how to take the business forward and there are a number of views on how to do that. At the end of the day its STF's cash and his decision on what he is, or is not, prepared to risk.

While I would not remove Rod as I think he is excellent for Hibs I would maybe look at how we appoint managers and try to broaden the process a bit by using others in the club, or with links to the club, more in the process.

That said I dont see how we overcome the issue of retaining the sevices of a manger when he's offered wages and budget's far in excess of what he can realistically be offered while at Hibs.

While those conditions may not apply in CC's case the issue at the moment appears to be geography which is equally insurmountable.

basehibby
07-07-2011, 01:06 PM

:top marksThis is a great post which puts a lot of arguments to bed IMO. RP has made mistakes along the way but to point to a lack of leadership is BS. My view is that while he started off as basically an accountant he has become more and more of a football man as the years have gone by and now posesses knowledge and experience which is invaluable to the club.
I'm not saying he's perfect and all things to all men, but he remains an asset to the club and should not be rushed out the door.

Kaiser1962
07-07-2011, 01:18 PM

We are embarked on a longer term plan here and I, for one, have been waiting a while for world domination. I can see where we're going and can wait a wee bit longer.

down the slope
07-07-2011, 01:28 PM
:top marksThis is a great post which puts a lot of arguments to bed IMO. RP has made mistakes along the way but to point to a lack of leadership is BS. My view is that while he started off as basically an accountant he has become more and more of a football man as the years have gone by and now posesses knowledge and experience which is invaluable to the club.
I'm not saying he's perfect and all things to all men, but he remains an asset to the club and should not be rushed out the door.

football man, you must be havin a laugh ?, i think it's more of the Rod Petrie gravy train that we're witnessing.

GreenPJ
07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
football man, you must be havin a laugh ?, i think it's more of the Rod Petrie gravy train that we're witnessing.

Who or what type of character would you want as chairman?

down the slope
07-07-2011, 02:03 PM

An ex player who has retained an interest in football would do nicely. We have an accountant picking football managers !.

Kaiser1962
07-07-2011, 02:06 PM
An ex player who has retained an interest in football would do nicely. We have an accountant picking football managers !.

And we're back to Pat Nevin :greengrin

I'll get ma coat..................

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Scott Lindsay or Fife Hyland...

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Can you think of anyone who would want to put themself in that position? I appreciate Quinn has done it at Sunderland but we do not have any multi millionaire ex players with a desire to take the reins at a club where you are not appreciated.

Would an ex player have the financial and business acumen to drive a club forward?
Rod and the board have driven down our debt while delivering a fantastic stadium and training facilities. Facilities that are the envy of every scottish club outside the old firm.

I firmly believe some fans are looking for a scapegoat and on this occassion they are completely wrong to target Rod and the Board. I'm totally stunned at this. If I didn't know better I would think this thread has been visited by a few yam invaders. They can only wish they had a sensible board like ours and would love to see our fans turn against our board. They know that would be a very stupid and dangerous thing to do.

In my honest opinion, this time next week we will have a new manager. We will have targetted a couple of decent signings and we will be feeling optomistic about the start of the season.

Once a new manager and a couple of players are in place the feel good factor will return. Attendances for the first few games will be decent and it will be up to the players and manager - and most importantly the FANS to ensure they remain decent!

GGTTH

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Can you think of anyone who would want to put themself in that position? I appreciate Quinn has done it at Sunderland but we do not have any multi millionaire ex players with a desire to take the reins at a club where you are not appreciated.

Would an ex player have the financial and business acumen to drive a club forward?
Rod and the board have driven down our debt while delivering a fantastic stadium and training facilities. Facilities that are the envy of every scottish club outside the old firm.

I firmly believe some fans are looking for a scapegoat and on this occassion they are completely wrong to target Rod and the Board. I'm totally stunned at this. If I didn't know better I would think this thread has been visited by a few yam invaders. They can only wish they had a sensible board like ours and would love to see our fans turn against our board. They know that would be a very stupid and dangerous thing to do.

In my honest opinion, this time next week we will have a new manager. We will have targetted a couple of decent signings and we will be feeling optomistic about the start of the season.

Once a new manager and a couple of players are in place the feel good factor will return. Attendances for the first few games will be decent and it will be up to the players and manager - and most importantly the FANS to ensure they remain decent!

GGTTH

Some people would love Rod to continue ad infinitum.

He's in a very tricky spot right now - very little quality on the pitch, no-one left to sell, dwindling attendances, declining ST sales, declining income, increasing debt and a half empty stadium.

I find it ironic that certain folk on here are shouted down any time they point this out and/or point to the one constant factor. I find it amusing that you're 'totally stunned' especially if you read the first para above again. I'm totally stunned that people think everything's great.

Hibs sold a car-park and a golden generation to pay off a ton of debt, building a training facility and finishing a stadium at the expense of the team. None of that was rocket science - the job ahead is far, far harder than the job that's been done.

down the slope
07-07-2011, 03:27 PM

GGTTH

Great , why was this not done years ago ? , was the last few years just a practice go ?,

Stevie Reid
07-07-2011, 03:45 PM

He's in a very tricky spot right now - very little quality on the pitch, no-one left to sell, dwindling attendances, declining ST sales, declining income, increasing debt and a half empty stadium.

I find it ironic that certain folk on here are shouted down any time they point this out and/or point to the one constant factor. I find it amusing that you're 'totally stunned' especially if you read the first para above again. I'm totally stunned that people think everything's great.

Hibs sold a car-park and a golden generation to pay off a ton of debt, building a training facility and finishing a stadium at the expense of the team. None of that was rocket science - the job ahead is far, far harder than the job that's been done.

What makes you think it's more difficult? Whether you agree with whether the board were right to do it or not, we were in £17M worth of debt in 2003, and now have comparitively little debt, as well as the stand and the training facility, which cost about £8M all in. We did manage to win a trophy, finish as high as 3rd and 4th (twice), and qualified for Europe twice in that time too.

We have just had our first bottom 6 finish since 2003/04, the difference this time is that we aren't saddled with the huge debt and there's no more infrastructure to spend money on. So why is the job harder than the one that's been done? Why would being in a stronger footing off the park make things more difficult?

HibsMax
07-07-2011, 03:50 PM

1. out of his control unless you're implying that the way he does business drives employees away?
2. nice to have but you cannot force people to be motivated. the best you can do is give them an environment to work in that they enjoy working in. the rest is up to each individual.
3. why did you give him a tick in the accountant box then?
4. agree with this point but part of that is the responsibility of the manager. we've got the tools at our disposal.
5. i don't care how dour he is, hardly an important factor when it comes to doing the best job he can.
6. is this not the same as point 4?

basehibby
07-07-2011, 03:56 PM

:agree: Things are at a turning point and I'd say it's high time the accountant's hat was put to one side in favour of some expenditure aimed specifically at bringing back the feelgood factor to ER.
I think perhaps a start was made to this in the shape of Ivan and GOC making welcome returns to ER. But of course the other X factor is having the right manager in place.
Whether Rod and the rest of the board have been making a good fist of this crucial aspect of their role is rightly up for debate. I think we'll have to wait for the latest chapter in the Hibees soap opera to be concluded to get a proper handle on it.

The Falcon
07-07-2011, 04:03 PM
What makes you think it's more difficult? Whether you agree with whether the board were right to do it or not, we were in £17M worth of debt in 2003, and now have comparitively little debt, as well as the stand and the training facility, which cost about £8M all in. We did manage to win a trophy, finish as high as 3rd and 4th (twice), and qualified for Europe twice in that time too.

We have just had our first bottom 6 finish since 2003/04, the difference this time is that we aren't saddled with the huge debt and there's no more infrastructure to spend money on. So why is the job harder than the one that's been done? Why would being in a stronger footing off the park make things more difficult?

Had we no idea where the money went then people would be right to query this, but thats not the case.

The Falcon
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Things are at a turning point and I'd say it's high time the accountant's hat was put to one side in favour of some expenditure aimed specifically at bringing back the feelgood factor to ER.

When you say that we should spend more money you will not get many dissenters but, in the cold light of day, someone has to pay.

Where's this expenditure going to come from?

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 04:37 PM

The job ahead is not far harder. It has been made more complicated because our manager has lost interest and been distracted by other offers.

For me, the hard work has been done. The easy bit will be to replace calderwood and invest in the team.

A good manager will add 2-3 players to this team and will get the best out of the young players (booth, hanlon, witherspoon) at the club.

Then we may become a victim of our success once more when these players move on to progress their careers.....and you can come on and moan again and blame rod:greengrin

The truth is we are a mediocre team in a poor league. The best we can hope for is the occassional 3rd place, the odd final and a league cup trophy every decade or so. Anything else is a bonus but not worth bankrupting the club for.

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 05:14 PM

How? As far as I am aware, most if not all other SPL clubs stadiums are complete and I do not know of any others that are struggling with training facilities, yeah we have better training facilities but it is up to the manager to put good players in it. So I do not see how our completed stadium gives us a an edge over other SPL teams whom also have completed stadia. East Mains is a great facility but that will only reap benefits if we have signed and scouted good players.

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 05:15 PM

I was meaning what people do in business is sell x and buy y - we sold land and we sold players. We paid our debts and spent it on buildings. I think that was - ultimately - the correct thing to do and it has been done well. But I don't think any of that is very hard to do.

What is a lot harder is to do - or is at least appearing harder to do - is reap the dividend from all this infrastructure. It's not easy appointing managers or finding players, to rebuild a team, to create something on the park, that realises the point of being Hibernian FC.

The job ahead is not far harder. It has been made more complicated because our manager has lost interest and been distracted by other offers.

For me, the hard work has been done. The easy bit will be to replace calderwood and invest in the team.

A good manager will add 2-3 players to this team and will get the best out of the young players (booth, hanlon, witherspoon) at the club.

Then we may become a victim of our success once more when these players move on to progress their careers.....and you can come on and moan again and blame rod:greengrin

The truth is we are a mediocre team in a poor league. The best we can hope for is the occassional 3rd place, the odd final and a league cup trophy every decade or so. Anything else is a bonus but not worth bankrupting the club for.

Buying decent players, motivating and developing players, getting results, performances and ultimately success in some form is hard, much harder than selling and buying (players and buildings).

Why is it easy to replace Calderwood? Hibs looks like a revolving door right now, 5 managers in 60 months, I think I read. It's obviously not easy, as we've been going through managers quicker than anyone else in this league recently.

I haven't suggested we bankrupt the club, you said that, not me. I said the hard work is ahead and that it isn't a question of buying 2 or 3 players.

The legacy of all the management upheaval is that we're left with very little quality in this team and have wasted money on utter dross. This has resulted in dwindling income, rising debt, poor attendances and so on. I don't think 2 or 3 players and a new manager are suddenly going to change that.

This is the hard part: arresting the slide and building the business, the Club and the team back up. It's very hard and looking at the Board you wonder how they're going to do it - because in my eyes I don't think they know how to.

Out of interest which Clubs do you think are bigger than us and/or should finish higher than us - ex the OF??

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 05:19 PM
How? As far as I am aware, most if not all other SPL clubs stadiums are complete and I do not know of any others that are struggling with training facilities, yeah we have better training facilities but it is up to the manager to put good players in it. So I do not see how our completed stadium gives us a an edge over other SPL teams whom also have completed stadia. East Mains is a great facility but that will only reap benefits if we have signed and scouted good players.

You could argue that EM hasn't made a blind scrap of difference. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a training facility - of course we should - but its yet to give us an edge.

sevenil
07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
All this reluctant Manager stuff has been a pain, and still it goes on.........but what we've again been reminded of is the distorted view that all fans have toward their own team, and it's place in the universe. In that sense we can be right up there and as delusional as the fans at Liverpool and Newcastle.

In our case the Chairman gets all the flak because it turns out that various Managers fail to make a fist of it for a variety of reasons.
There seems to be an expectation that we should be led by a sort of Steve Jobs of the Football world, successful, innovative, combined with Fergie's flair for continual success over decades. Such a person would be unlikely to be a Hibs Fan, who does it for the love......so we have to offer the best salary, working conditions and talent to work with. Taking these aspects together we'd probably like to think we offer the third most attractive job in Scotland. But in a UK sense where are we? - probably somewhere between 30th and 50th......

That's why the Managers we are able to attract have their flaws and limitations (as we have seen over recent years) and it doesn't work out. So we go for the next one and hope for the best, or maybe a Hibee who'll take the drop in wages to 'follow the dream'.

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 05:23 PM
You could argue that EM hasn't made a blind scrap of difference. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a training facility - of course we should - but its yet to give us an edge.

I was and still think EM was OTT but thats another debate, EM will not make good players, hiring the right scouts will. I am not saying that we are not better off with our infrastructure now we certainly are

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
All this reluctant Manager stuff has been a pain, and still it goes on.........but what we've again been reminded of is the distorted view that all fans have toward their own team, and it's place in the universe. In that sense we can be right up there and as delusional as the fans at Liverpool and Newcastle.

In our case the Chairman gets all the flak because it turns out that various Managers fail to make a fist of it for a variety of reasons.
There seems to be an expectation that we should be led by a sort of Steve Jobs of the Football world, successful, innovative, combined with Fergie's flair for continual success over decades. Such a person would be unlikely to be a Hibs Fan, who does it for the love......so we have to offer the best salary, working conditions and talent to work with. Taking these aspects together we'd probably like to think we offer the third most attractive job in Scotland. But in a UK sense where are we? - probably somewhere between 30th and 50th......

That's why the Managers we are able to attract have their flaws and limitations (as we have seen over recent years) and it doesn't work out. So we go for the next one and hope for the best, or maybe a Hibee who'll take the drop in wages to 'follow the dream'.

I don't think too many of us have a distorted view, rather we want to see some light at the end of the tunnel, to know that there are better times ahead, to be optimistic and hopeful.

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Our club is in turmoil, how on earth does it recover? If he goes, we have 2 weeks to get it right on the park. If he stays, there will be resentment after every defeat.

We are a shambles with barely enough decent players to put 11 players out, there's no signs we are in for or about to sign anyone, is there any surprise?

What a bloody shambles.:grr:

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Our club is in turmoil, how on earth does it recover? If he goes, we have 2 weeks to get it right on the park. If he stays, there will be resentment after every defeat.

We are a shambles with barely enough decent players to put 11 players out, there's no signs we are in for or about to sign anyone, is there any surprise?

Indeed, problems all over the place at ER, he cant stay how can he spend money when RP knows he wanted/wants to go. Hibs again manage to make a cock of it and IMO it started again the day CC arrived.

hibs0666
07-07-2011, 05:53 PM

Merge. :wink:

Saorsa
07-07-2011, 05:53 PM

What a bloody shambles.:grr:Disnae surprise me

The only thing that surprises me is that I keep handing over hundreds of ££££'s in April before I see what sort of farce is going tae unfold in June or July.

The Voice Of Reason
07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Shambles, mess, debacle, farrago.......call it what you will.

Manager who doesen't want to be here
No assistant
Poor squad
De Graaf back in the fold

Depressing stuff.

Wouldn't be the biggest surprise if we were in another relegation dogfight this season. :boo hoo:

frazeHFC
07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I just don't get why the club is posponing his departure, as he is certain to leave. Well money obviously.....

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Turmoil??

We have been put in a bad situation by a perrick of a manager.

I doubt things have come to a halt tho. I'm sure the board will have identified their new man and there will be a swift change.

The new man is probably identifying new targets as we speak / type

AlbertK86
07-07-2011, 05:57 PM

Correct

Pity our esteemed leader RP doesn't share your (and nearly every other Hibby's) sentiments.

Playing side doesn't appear to bother him. Doesn't seem worried about stability on the park, never mind getting a settled team in place for the start of the season !!

For weeks now thousands of us have been checking the forums and other websites hoping to hear that our ship has been steadied one way or another and that we could continue to build a squad that was quite rightly stripped in the close season. Not too much to expect if you ask me.

Now is the time for ROD to show real leadership. Set a deeadline for payment of a realistic compensation and tell all parties including CC that if that deadline is not met then CC stays put.

If he then walks so be it. No danger the money would be re-invested in the team anyway. Never is. We'll end up with a cheap option.

ROD prove me wrong ... please

AlbertK86
07-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Turmoil??

I doubt things have come to a halt tho. I'm sure the board will have identified their new man and there will be a swift change.

No trying to be funny but it has dragged on for weeks already !!!!!!!!!!

Do hope you are right about the new man but no holding ma breath

stubru59
07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
CC's still here, the News of the World isn't, and Riordon's on a slow boat to China.

Where will it all end?

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Turmoil??

Right so the current situation is all Calderwood's fault... got that.

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 06:13 PM
I was meaning what people do in business is sell x and buy y - we sold land and we sold players. We paid our debts and spent it on buildings. I think that was - ultimately - the correct thing to do and it has been done well. But I don't think any of that is very hard to do.

What is a lot harder is to do - or is at least appearing harder to do - is reap the dividend from all this infrastructure. It's not easy appointing managers or finding players, to rebuild a team, to create something on the park, that realises the point of being Hibernian FC.

Buying decent players, motivating and developing players, getting results, performances and ultimately success in some form is hard, much harder than selling and buying (players and buildings).

Why is it easy to replace Calderwood? Hibs looks like a revolving door right now, 5 managers in 60 months, I think I read. It's obviously not easy, as we've been going through managers quicker than anyone else in this league recently.

I haven't suggested we bankrupt the club, you said that, not me. I said the hard work is ahead and that it isn't a question of buying 2 or 3 players.

The legacy of all the management upheaval is that we're left with very little quality in this team and have wasted money on utter dross. This has resulted in dwindling income, rising debt, poor attendances and so on. I don't think 2 or 3 players and a new manager are suddenly going to change that.

This is the hard part: arresting the slide and building the business, the Club and the team back up. It's very hard and looking at the Board you wonder how they're going to do it - because in my eyes I don't think they know how to.

Out of interest which Clubs do you think are bigger than us and/or should finish higher than us - ex the OF??

I'll answer your direct question first.

Hearts, Aberdeen and DUFC are on a parity with us in terms of size. I never said other clubs were bigger than us.

Those clubs have not addressed their debt in the same way as us and have not got the same facilities as us.

You could argue in hearts case, they have followed the model you are keen to take and that would be to invest heavily (or gamble) on the field and neglect matters off the field. They now have a very worrying future ahead.

Why is it easy to replace Calderwood? Because he has failed as a manager here, he wants to leave and there are hundreds of managers on the dole or with other clubs that would love a job at hibs.

I think a few people (*not you directly but some) are at risk of becoming hysterical.

We have all the foundations in place to build this club.

I believe that Rod and the board have been stabbed in the back by CC. I think they were willing to put his woeful performance last year aside and give him time to get things right.

WhileTheChief..
07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
The team is certainly in turmoil just now but i think the club is in a generally good state.

This could actually be a huge blessing in disguise. We get shot of CC and receive money at the same time - money that can be used to get a better replacement than the previous incumbents.

Deep down RP probably can't believe his luck. Worst manager ever and we get paid by someone for taking him off our hands. Not only that, he's started a bidding war to get him out the door. You gotta hand it him, the man is a genius!

We will only be in turmoil if CC is still the manager come the start of the season.

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Hearts, Aberdeen and DUFC are on a parity with us in terms of size. I never said other clubs were bigger than us.

Those clubs have not addressed their debt in the same way as us and have not got the same facilities as us.

You could argue in hearts case, they have followed the model you are keen to take and that would be to invest heavily (or gamble) on the field and neglect matters off the field. They now have a very worrying future ahead.

Why is it easy to replace Calderwood? Because he has failed as a manager here, he wants to leave and there are hundreds of managers on the dole or with other clubs that would love a job at hibs.

I think a few people (*not you directly but some) are at risk of becoming hysterical.

I believe that Rod and the board have been stabbed in the back by CC. I think they were willing to put his woeful performance last year aside and give him time to get things right.

Actually following the Hearts model only works if you have someone prepared to throw away a lot of money. We don't and I have never suggested we do squander anything.

I'm trying to say that as well intentioned as the Board are, the hard part of running a football club is ahead of us.

smurf
07-07-2011, 06:21 PM

And all after a shambolic last season. This close season should have been all about ensuring no repetition this coming season. And with two weeks to kick off the reality is we are in a worse position.

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Actually following the Hearts model only works if you have someone prepared to throw away a lot of money. We don't and I have never suggested we do squander anything.

I'm trying to say that as well intentioned as the Board are, the hard part of running a football club is ahead of us.

And I am arguing that the hard part is ensuring the club survives during the most difficult of financial periods. Even before the economic melttdown of 2008 football clubs were in a very challenging position. Several clubs entered administration, some more than once. During this period, Rod and the board made some difficult choices. Some choices like wage caps for example were roindly criticised by fans who wanted to see us spend fortunes on players.
Rod identified that the wages to turnover level was too high and it was vital to correct this for the club to be sustainable. This, alligned with disposing of assets allowed the club to return to profitablility and to reduce the debt. This blueprint was highlighted as the way forward for other Scottish clubs that were crippled by debts.

I agree, we ae in a difficult position now but FFS it is not half as bad as people are making out.

We have a manager who wants away. He will go, we will move on and in a few weeks we'll be wondering what the fuss was about.

MrSmith
07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I just don't know what to think anymore?? The club is in complete disarray!

I don't know who is at fault or how it came about but we have no team, no preseason, an absent manager, an accountant and finally, a set of fans who are way past disgruntled and voting with their closed wallet.

You know, there is a lot statements on this forum about fans wanting instant success, demanding success, doom and gloomers, anti-board and short sighted glory hunters! It makes me laugh! Most fans I know are deeply concerned at the direction we are being taken by the current incumbents/custodians! Remember, most fans here have supported the team through some of the darkest periods of recent history and supported the board when debt reduction was required! Demanding instant success?? Get a grip!

Right now we have a soft non competing team, a marvelous stadium and training center - how great! Like the idea of the stadium and training center but hate the idea of a non competing team... That is just *****. It needs to be addressed, along with the manger, right now before matters get worse and season tickets fail, from what I've heard, to reach the 5K mark.

Turmoil eh?? How many adjectives or expletives for that matter, can we find to describe the state of our club at the moment... Read on Rod, it is firmly in your hands!

one day maybe...
07-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Good post :top marks

Hibs do have good foundations to build on, to move onwards & upwards in the near future, because we recognised the way football was going.
What HFC cannot or simply must not do is gamble with the future of the club by throwing money at players to solve the problem.
CC obviously wants to move so he can work somewhere closer to his family or to a club that is financially better off than Hibs are, those are the breaks I am afraid. IMO get him moved on quickly and get a man in here that has decent credentials & wants to work for Hibernian FC.
We should be a top 4 club, developing young players and growing stronger with every season, but this takes time and as fans we can only be patient for so long, sometimes we need something to believe in, so come on Rod get it sorted asap.

basehibby
07-07-2011, 06:37 PM
When you say that we should spend more money you will not get many dissenters but, in the cold light of day, someone has to pay.

Where's this expenditure going to come from?

Now you're putting the accountant hat back on you see :greengrin

I know there's been a lot of good work done over the years in terms of keeping the club on an even keel financially. However, with all the infrastructure in place and our support somewhat weary of belt tightening I believe that things are in need of a good nudge in the right direction in order to return that essential feelgood factor, put the bums on the shiny new seats and get things moving forward.

I know that will involve an element of risk but also feel that there's a risk in inaction as well - a risk that increasing disillusionment will lead to falling attendances and the undoing of much of the good financial work already done.

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 06:53 PM
The team is certainly in turmoil just now but i think the club is in a generally good state.

This could actually be a huge blessing in disguise. We get shot of CC and receive money at the same time - money that can be used to get a better replacement than the previous incumbents.

Deep down RP probably can't believe his luck. Worst manager ever and we get paid by someone for taking him off our hands. Not only that, he's started a bidding war to get him out the door. You gotta hand it him, the man is a genius!

We will only be in turmoil if CC is still the manager come the start of the season.

He'd be a genius if he'd engineered this situation :wink: in reality Mr P is no doubt heading back in to the market to find himself another manager.

My understanding is that Petrie himself sought out Caldo second time around after he'd mutually consented Yogi... and paid compo to NUFC to get him.

basehibby
07-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Simply not true - of our closest (in theory) rivals, Aberdeen are desparately seeking a move out of their aging stadium in order to help with their debts and even then have their begging bowl out to their council asking for help - The Yams as we all know live in an asbestos ridden hell hole which is long overdue for condemnation and which they are desparately kidding themselves that they can afford to replace. Last I knew they were finaly coming round to the idea that flats glorious flats is the only way out of their predicament without doubling their already ridiculous level of debt.
At Hibs meanwhile we still reside in our spiritual home although it is now a state of the art UEFA compliant stadium - all this while keeping the club's debts within reasonable levels. It may be slow in coming but we DO now have an edge on our competitors. It's a matter of time before they have to spend on their stadia whereas we have already bitten the bullet and sorted it out.

basehibby
07-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Correct

Pity our esteemed leader RP doesn't share your (and nearly every other Hibby's) sentiments.

Playing side doesn't appear to bother him. Doesn't seem worried about stability on the park, never mind getting a settled team in place for the start of the season !!

For weeks now thousands of us have been checking the forums and other websites hoping to hear that our ship has been steadied one way or another and that we could continue to build a squad that was quite rightly stripped in the close season. Not too much to expect if you ask me.

Now is the time for ROD to show real leadership. Set a deeadline for payment of a realistic compensation and tell all parties including CC that if that deadline is not met then CC stays put.

If he then walks so be it. No danger the money would be re-invested in the team anyway. Never is. We'll end up with a cheap option.

ROD prove me wrong ... please

:agree: This would seem a reasonable proposition to me

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 07:08 PM

Hearts have a ramshackle stadium unfit for european football. they will have to spend money on new facilities. They hire training facilities that they share with sweaty students. They are thinking short term.

Aberdeen have noticed they have a need for a new stadium. They will have to divert money from the team for this.

DUFC have a shoddy stadium and will no doubt have to look at this in the near future.

We have done the hard work on that side. We are in a position to grow:aok:

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2011, 07:10 PM
:agree: This would seem a reasonable proposition to me

Aye perhaps 10 days ago, but not now. I dont believe he can stay, he will get slaughtered right after the first defeat, and rightly so, he's brought this on himself.

basehibby
07-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Aye perhaps 10 days ago, but not now. I dont believe he can stay, he will get slaughtered right after the first defeat, and rightly so, he's brought this on himself.

Don't agree (apart from the minority who would have doubtless slaughtered him anyway, regardless of speculation).
Do agree that if he doesn't get off to a decent start then the majority of fans will have a shorter fuse than they would have had - but 1st defeat??? Nah! Fans will look at performance/opposition etc and if the team looks better than last term then it'll be acknowledged.

I do reckon that this needs to be brought to a conclusion ASAP though, and that's why I'd plump for the deadline option as outlined above.

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Don't agree (apart from the minority who would have doubtless slaughtered him anyway, regardless of speculation).
Do agree that if he doesn't get off to a decent start then the majority of fans will have a shorter fuse than they would have had - but 1st defeat??? Nah! Fans will look at performance/opposition etc and if the team looks better than last term then it'll be acknowledged.

I do reckon that this needs to be brought to a conclusion ASAP though, and that's why I'd plump for the deadline option as outlined above.

I disagree it would be a minority, i think there's a much bigger percentage of the support who wont give him a chance, not that i believe he deserves one.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-07-2011, 07:33 PM

We are embarked on a longer term plan here and I, for one, have been waiting a while for world domination. I can see where we're going and can wait a wee bit longer.

Will Scottish football of any decent level still exist when we reach the end of the rainbow?

Now that the infrastructure is in place I can't really see any significant increase in spending on "the team" happening anytime soon.

Kaiser1962
07-07-2011, 07:44 PM

There have been 5 managers in the last sixty months but that does not include the whole of the Mowbray tenure which began on 24th May 2004. Between that date and this there have been Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Yogi and CC.

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Simply not true - of our closest (in theory) rivals, Aberdeen are desparately seeking a move out of their aging stadium in order to help with their debts and even then have their begging bowl out to their council asking for help - The Yams as we all know live in an asbestos ridden hell hole which is long overdue for condemnation and which they are desparately kidding themselves that they can afford to replace. Last I knew they were finaly coming round to the idea that flats glorious flats is the only way out of their predicament without doubling their already ridiculous level of debt.
At Hibs meanwhile we still reside in our spiritual home although it is now a state of the art UEFA compliant stadium - all this while keeping the club's debts within reasonable levels. It may be slow in coming but we DO now have an edge on our competitors. It's a matter of time before they have to spend on their stadia whereas we have already bitten the bullet and sorted it out.

2 clubs? Aberdeen however much begging do not need to spend on stadium, all other clubs do not need to do anything in the near and possibly distant future.

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Hearts have a ramshackle stadium unfit for european football. they will have to spend money on new facilities. They hire training facilities that they share with sweaty students. They are thinking short term.

Aberdeen have noticed they have a need for a new stadium. They will have to divert money from the team for this.

DUFC have a shoddy stadium and will no doubt have to look at this in the near future.

We have done the hard work on that side. We are in a position to grow:aok:

In your opinion, again as I stated in other reply Aberdeen do not need to speng money on stadium through choice. How do we know that in 5yrs time problems don't develope with our building work?

The bottom line is most and basically all SPL clubs do not need to spend money on anything other than reducing debts same as us.

matty_f
07-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Hibs are not in turmoil, there might be hysteria on here making a lot of people think we are, but at the club the people that are important to the team's preparation are going about their business as they should be.

Nobody at the club is getting their knickers in a twist about it, they're clearly relaxed about the situation, let's face it they should be - it's been going on for 3 weeks now.

The main thing that is frustrating people at Hibs is the hysteria surrounding what's going on. All the thumping of chests and sending emails and letters is doing nothing other than taking up time that could be better spent helping get the team ready.

Kaiser1962
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Will Scottish football of any decent level still exist when we reach the end of the rainbow?

Now that the infrastructure is in place I can't really see any significant increase in spending on "the team" happening anytime soon.

Thats the big question and I dont know. I am not sure scottish fitba can remain as it is. Rangers are losing out on signing targets to championship teams and Celtic are struggling to sign EPL reserves/unwanted players even on loan. Its going to get worse before it gets better.

I do think we have taken the right path though.

Kaiser1962
07-07-2011, 07:59 PM
2 clubs? Aberdeen however much begging do not need to spend on stadium, all other clubs do not need to do anything in the near and possibly distant future.

So why are they doing it? Debt?

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 08:04 PM

I do not know, the point is do they have to spend money on stadium? I think not.

No matter how good or bad it is, their stadium is all seated and that is all that is required, if Aberdeen wish to move to help debts thats fine, at this moment we are discussing that as our stadium is complete we have an adavantage, I am pointing out so is everyone elses.

Spike Mandela
07-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Disnae surprise me

The only thing that surprises me is that I keep handing over hundreds of ££££'s in April before I see what sort of farce is going tae unfold in June or July.

Hibs are not in turmoil, there might be hysteria on here making a lot of people think we are, but at the club the people that are important to the team's preparation are going about their business as they should be.

Nobody at the club is getting their knickers in a twist about it, they're clearly relaxed about the situation, let's face it they should be - it's been going on for 3 weeks now.

The main thing that is frustrating people at Hibs is the hysteria surrounding what's going on. All the thumping of chests and sending emails and letters is doing nothing other than taking up time that could be better spent helping get the team ready.

Day to day training and preparation for pre season games may be plodding along as normal but surely you can't seriously believe that our manager is carrying out his duties in scouting and securing future players for this club and the season ahead when he doesn't know where he is going to be this season.

Our glorious leaders may be relaxed but the loss of our manager so close to the start of the new season and the inevitable transition period of a new manager into the fold will surely lead to rushed signings before close of window.

If as I fear we make a poor start to the SPL season the relaxed facade may well drop and the knickers may well and truly get twisted.

one day maybe...
07-07-2011, 08:08 PM

They are doing it because their stadium will soon be unfit to hold Uefa cup ties due to new stadium criteria, should they ever qualify again. Meaning either developing the current stadium to conform to these requirements or round trips to either Dundee or Inverness to play European ties. they seem to have chosen to build a new stadium rather than invest money into Pittodrie.

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Day to day training and preparation for pre season games may be plodding along as normal but surely you can't seriously believe that our manager is carrying out his duties in scouting and securing future players for this club and the season ahead when he doesn't know where he is going to be this season.

Our glorious leaders may be relaxed but the loss of our manager so close to the start of the new season and the inevitable transition period of a new manager into the fold will surely lead to rushed signings before close of window.

If as I fear we make a poor start to the SPL season the relaxed facade may well drop and the knickers may well and truly get twisted.

Indeed, if CC feels he cant ask for funds due to situation and RP feels that if CC asked for some funds and he is unsure if to give any then the situation is a shambles, I believe the lack of any more transfers shows this. IMO without proof or evidence I believe both parties are not looking to transfer in anyone due to massive uncertanty so it is far from business as usual.

Kaiser1962
07-07-2011, 08:15 PM
They are doing it because their stadium will soon be unfit to hold Uefa cup ties due to new stadium criteria, should they ever qualify again. Meaning either developing the current stadium to conform to these requirements or round trips to either Dundee or Inverness to play European ties. they seem to have chosen to build a new stadium rather than invest money into Pittodrie.

I suspect there may be a difference between what is "compliant" and what is perceived to be "complete"

Saorsa
07-07-2011, 08:17 PM

The main thing that is frustrating people at Hibs is the hysteria surrounding what's going on. All the thumping of chests and sending emails and letters is doing nothing other than taking up time that could be better spent helping get the team ready.Aye, nothing tae see here, everything is fine, has been for years :rolleyes: We've been through mair managers and staff in 5 years than a McDonalds restaurant that's been open for twice as long.

You'll excuse me if I'm pissed of after throwing away hundreds of pounds on dross year on year and having done so again only for it tae look like it's happening again.

matty_f
07-07-2011, 08:23 PM

The training's not just plodding along, the team were at an army camp for training today, where the players had a great, if tiring, day.

Aye, nothing tae see here, everything is fine, has been for years :rolleyes: We've been through mair managers and staff in 5 years than a McDonalds restaurant that's been open for twice as long.

You'll excuse me if I'm pissed of after throwing away hundreds of pounds on dross year on year and it's looking like happening again

Who said everything's fine? There's a point that's between perfect and turmoil. A few vocal and persistent folk on here are determined to convince the rest of us that everything's awful at the club without having any idea of what is actually going on there.

Say it enough and it's true...

MrSmith
07-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Spike Mandela...
Our glorious leaders may be relaxed but the loss of our manager so close to the start of the new season and the inevitable transition period of a new manager into the fold will surely lead to rushed signings before close of window

And there in lies RP's plan to get the cheap of the cheapest signings...

Someone on here, near the end of the season, reckoned we wouldn't sign the players required until the window was closing. A new manager in place last thing anybody??

3pm
07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Who said everything's fine? There's a point that's between perfect and turmoil. A few vocal and persistent folk on here are determined to convince the rest of us that everything's awful at the club without having any idea of what is actually going on there.

Say it enough and it's true...

Who are these people?

The Falcon
07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
And there in lies RP's plan to get the cheap of the cheapest signings...

Someone on here, near the end of the season, reckoned we wouldn't sign the players required until the window was closing. A new manager in place last thing anybody??

Soooo..........this is all part of a cunning plan engineered by the Rodster as a means of saving money?

What a devious bar steward to come up with this and get everybody to play along. Stunning.

Badge
07-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Business as it should be - Does that include getting in badly needed new signings to strengthen a poor squad?
Clearly relaxed about the situation - We have a manager who doesn't want to be here. What's there to be relaxed about that?
Season Ticket sales - How many have we sold. From comments made on here an awful lot of people haven't renewed. I don't think I'd be too relaxed about that.

Spike Mandela
07-07-2011, 08:47 PM
The training's not just plodding along, the team were at an army camp for training today, where the players had a great, if tiring, day.

Seriously are you saying CC is carrying out his full duties in preparing for the future prospects of the team because they had an away day at an army camp?

Clearly with his current predicament all potential signings are in limbo and he will likely be on the phone more to agents at Forest and Birmingham than to agents of prospective players.

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Seriously are you saying CC is carrying out his full duties in preparing for the future prospects of the team because they had an away day at an army camp?

Clearly with his current predicament all potential signings are in limbo and he will likely be on the phone more to agents at Forest and Birmingham than to agents of prospective players.

100% believe that, I do not think for 1min he is doing his job correctly in regards to future players, and/or Rod will give him the tools now.

Shambles is correct.

marinello59
07-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Actually they do. As part of the debt restructuring they did several years back they had to agree to move out of Pittodrie within a set time period. The place is so decrepit it costs them thousands year in maintenance fees, an unsustainable financial situation. Space constraints means redeveloping their existing ground is not an option. As things stand they have zero funding in place for their new stadium.

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Actually they do. As part of the debt restructuring they did several years back they had to agree to move out of Pittodrie within a set time period. The place is so decrepit it costs them thousands year in maintenance fees, an unsustainable financial situation. Space constraints means redeveloping their existing ground is not an option. As things stand they have zero funding in place for their new stadium.

Ok and the other clubs?

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Ok and the other clubs?

Hearts predicament is noted above. Aberdeens position has been cleared. That is two out of three. The third is DUFC who have just lost Conway, bauban, gomis and others to reduce wages. They are actively trying to sell Goodwillie to bring in much needed funds to the club.

down the slope
07-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Coblers !, are you seriously saying that team preparation is being hindered as someone maybe even CC is answering e mails, nae wonder he wants to leave !.

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Hearts predicament is noted above. Aberdeens position has been cleared. That is two out of three. The third is DUFC who have just lost Conway, bauban, gomis and others to reduce wages. They are actively trying to sell Goodwillie to bring in much needed funds to the club.

And we have lost top scorer. What DUFC have done we will do also, the talk was infrastructure and most clubs have it in place.

matty_f
07-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Coblers !, are you seriously saying that team preparation is being hindered as someone maybe even CC is answering e mails, nae wonder he wants to leave !.

No, I'm saying that everyone getting their knickers in a twist about this is counter-productive. It's created a hysteria here where folk are posting open letters, or showing us emails that are getting sent to the board. I don't know how much time the board spend on replying to the emails, but I know they do reply to them, and I know that time could be better spent - do you disagree with that?

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 09:38 PM
And we have lost top scorer. What DUFC have done we will do also, the talk was infrastructure and most clubs have it in place.

They are making these sacrifices to deal with their debts. They have debts without the benefits of a sound infrastrucure that we have. The argument is that we have done the hardwork and put in place the infrastructure whilst others have not. We have done the hard work - imo.

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 09:45 PM
They are making these sacrifices to deal with their debts. They have debts without the benefits of a sound infrastrucure that we have. The argument is that we have done the hardwork and put in place the infrastructure whilst others have not. We have done the hard work - imo.

DUFC did the hard work a few years ago as did all the other teams with complete stadiums now like us they go about servicing the debt in the exact same way we do selling players etc. I do not see what DUFC need tp spend money on or Motherwell other than what we also spend it on, debts.

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 09:47 PM
DUFC did the hard work a few years ago as did all the other teams with complete stadiums now like us they go about servicing the debt in the exact same way we do selling players etc. I do not see what DUFC need tp spend money on or Motherwell other than what we also spend it on, debts.
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin

Did you really want to bring motherwell into a debate about fiscal prudance and responsibility? That is laughable. Do you fancy throwing in Gretna aswell?:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 09:52 PM
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin

Did you really want to bring motherwell into a debate about fiscal prudance and responsibility? That is laughable. Do you fancy throwing in Gretna aswell?:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Errr, what was the intital point? Infrastucture was it not? The fact we have just finished a stadium was mentioned that gives us an edge, I have pointed out that Motherwell and Dundee Utd also have finished stadiums therefore infrastucture is in place same as ours. How they go about servicing the debt is another factor. I never once stated that Mwell ran club well, I stated they are in a position same as us on debt servicing as are DUFC.

IWasThere2016
07-07-2011, 09:55 PM

With a trading loss of £2m p.a. and we've no cash...

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Errr, what was the intital point? Infrastucture was it not? The fact we have just finished a stadium was mentioned that gives us an edge, I have pointed out that Motherwell and Dundee Utd also have finished stadiums therefore infrastucture is in place same as ours. How they go about servicing the debt is another factor. I never once stated that Mwell ran club well, I stated they are in a position same as us on debt servicing as are DUFC.

There is a difference between having a stadium fit for the future and fit for purpose (which we have) and a ramshackle hut which is compliant and will do for now -which DUFC and Motherwell have.

This is where i believe we have done the hard work and are in a position to grow, whereas the others mentioned (hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell,and DUFC) will have to at somepoint in the near future, invest in their stadium and training facilities if they wish to grow.

I can see you have strong views. They are completely wrong in my opinion but I can see you are intent on defending them, we should perhaps agree to disagree:aok:

Captain Trips
07-07-2011, 10:05 PM
There is a difference bbetween having a stadium fit for the future and fit for the future (which we have) and a ramshackle hut which is compliant and will do for now -which DUFC and Motherwell have.

This is where i believe we have done the hard work and are in a position to grow, whereas the others mentioned (hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell,and DUFC) will have to at somepoint in the near future, invest in their stadium and training facilities if they wish to grow.

I can see you have strong views. They are completely wrong in my opinion but I can see you are intent on defending them, we should perhaps agree to disagree:aok:

We can as it is pure speculation that these clubs will spend, as it stands IMO they are in same position as us in as far as reducing debt.

down the slope
07-07-2011, 10:13 PM

Who's fault's that then ?.

sixtwo
07-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Who's fault's that then ?.

Armchair fans who claim to be hibees but never go to games?

matty_f
07-07-2011, 10:18 PM

:tee hee:

GreenPJ
07-07-2011, 10:18 PM
We can as it is pure speculation that these clubs will spend, as it stands IMO they are in same position as us in as far as reducing debt.

With the new stadium we already know that we would be used for Scottish U21 games and potentially more likely to be used for semi's if required that other clubs, therefore the ability to generate more income due to a modern and complete stadium has to be recognised as a difference.

down the slope
07-07-2011, 10:19 PM

I wondered when it would get round to being the fans fault ?,

Saorsa
07-07-2011, 10:29 PM
With the new stadium we already know that we would be used for Scottish U21 games and potentially more likely to be used for semi's if required that other clubs, therefore the ability to generate more income due to a modern and complete stadium has to be recognised as a difference.and it might even be filled for some of those games as well but it'll likely be the only times. It's too bad the team that plays there most weeks has been allowed tae become so poor that they can hardly half fill it a lot of the time.

RIP
07-07-2011, 10:42 PM

Rodney - You are fired!!

Firstly Admins - why add the word Turmoil?

There is absolutely NO point in folk continuously reminding us that we have infrastructure. The Training Centre was 2007 and the Stand 14 months ago. Wonderful achievements but past history now.

Why we still need 3 accountants to run this football club is a question I can't answer and I've never seen any of us able to justify this position. It simply is not the board structure we need to take the football club forward. We need a Finance Director, a Chief Exec with terrific business acumen and a Football Director to design an implement a strategic direction for the football operation.

To put an Accountant (SL) in charge of the Football Operation is in my opinion - madness. He's a bright, very personable fellow who I have a lot of time for. But how is he remotely qualified to hold down that position - can anyone else help us out here - I'm baffled

Hibernian Football Club is not just about accountancy and infrastrucure. Our core business is football and until we get that area of our business in better order our crowds, income and balance sheet will go South. We urgently need entrepreneurial skill, vision and strategy at Easter Road. I am 100% convinced that we cannot rely on RP and SL to run the Football side of the business with the same acumen they attended to the Finance side. The past 4 years of constant player and coach churn make that abundantly clear. They try to get away with blaming successive coaches and ensuring silence with confidentialty clauses. Now it's time they took responsibility and were held to account.

Keep the CEO and one finance director. Add a football director (I'd vote Collins) and a good entertainment promoter. We need a board refresh and this is not an open letter. It's Sir Tom that needs to address these questions so I maybe need to chap his door :greengrin

IWasThere2016
07-07-2011, 10:59 PM

There is absolutely NO point in folk continuously reminding us that we have infrastructure. The Training Centre was 2007 and the Stand 14 months ago. Wonderful achievements but past history now.

Why we still need 3 accountants to run this football club is a question I can't answer and I've never seen any of us able to justify this position. It simply is not the board structure we need to take the football club forward. We need a Finance Director, a Chief Exec with terrific business acumen and a Football Director to design an implement a strategic direction for the football operation.

To put an Accountant (SL) in charge of the Football Operation is in my opinion - madness. He's a bright, very personable fellow who I have a lot of time for. But how is he remotely qualified to hold down that position - can anyone else help us out here - I'm baffled

Hibernian Football Club is not just about accountancy and infrastrucure. Our core business is football and until we get that area of our business in better order our crowds, income and balance sheet will go South. We urgently need entrepreneurial skill, vision and strategy at Easter Road. I am 100% convinced that we cannot rely on RP and SL to run the Football side of the business with the same acumen they attended to the Finance side. The past 4 years of constant player and coach churn make that abundantly clear. They try to get away with blaming successive coaches and ensuring silence with confidentialty clauses. Now it's time they took responsibility and were held to account.

Keep the CEO and one finance director. Add a football director (I'd vote Collins) and a good entertainment promoter. We need a board refresh and this is not an open letter. It's Sir Tom that needs to address these questions so I maybe need to chap his door :greengrin

We don't need 3 accountants - there is no justification for this.

SL does not challenge RP .. All the criteria RP needed for SL's promotion.

Regardless, its the fans' fault that we trade at a level of unsustainable losses, and have no cash as we invested in an unnecessary expansion of the capacity of ER :wink:

matty_f
07-07-2011, 11:04 PM

'Turmoil' added to reflect Blackpool's thread being merged into this one, I believe.

matty_f
07-07-2011, 11:08 PM
We don't need 3 accountants - there is no justification for this.

SL does not challenge RP .. All the criteria RP needed for SL's promotion.

Regardless, its the fans' fault that we trade at a level of unsustainable losses, and have no cash as we invested in an unnecessary expansion of the capacity of ER :wink:

Didn't the club operate at a profit in the last financial year? :dunno:

Sir David Gray
07-07-2011, 11:09 PM
No, I'm saying that everyone getting their knickers in a twist about this is counter-productive. It's created a hysteria here where folk are posting open letters, or showing us emails that are getting sent to the board. I don't know how much time the board spend on replying to the emails, but I know they do reply to them, and I know that time could be better spent - do you disagree with that?

It's a well run company's duty to respond to concerns or complaints from their customers. I agree that Hibs do generally respond to, if not all, then most of the correspondence that they receive from supporters and in my experience, this is generally done in a prompt manner. Lots of companies reply to hundreds of e-mails and letters every day, without it affecting the day-to-day running of the business.

I have never been in touch with the club to complain about lack of signings, poor performances or asking for clarification about a manager's position. However a lot of people clearly are worried and anxious about this situation, so much so that they feel it is important to convey those feelings to the club.

Although I have no intention of actually doing likewise, I feel that things have got to the stage now at the club that this must be resolved, one way or another, within the next few days. The board cannot allow this shambolic situation to continue into the new season and either Calderwood wants to stay at Hibs or he doesn't.

Last season was absolutely horrendous for the club and, apart from the season when we were relegated, it was the single worst season that I have ever witnessed as a Hibs fan in my lifetime. It was unacceptable on so many levels that it's difficult to know where to begin.

The club simply cannot allow this coming season to be a continuation of where we finished off last season and yet, if we have a manager who, deep down, does not really want to be here (and let's be honest here, he doesn't) and who is not 100% committed to the club because his heart is really in Birmingham or Nottingham then I don't see how we can possibly hope to have any improvement on last year.

Over the past three weeks, ever since this story broke linking Calderwood to Nottingham Forest, does anyone honestly think that the Hibs board would have allowed Calderwood to make any further signings? In addition to that, what agent worth his salt would encourage his client to sign for a club that has a manager with such a high profile question mark hanging over him with regards to his immediate future?

We have potentially missed out on several signings in recent weeks and this is getting into the crucial part of the year when players start to become available after their contracts expire and we are now just two weeks away from the start of the new season. This is made even worse by the fact that our squad is nowhere near (or should be nowhere near) finished being assembled for next season.

This whole sorry state of affairs is a complete and utter mess and it needs sorted out now, not next week or next month but now.

matty_f
07-07-2011, 11:16 PM
It's a well run company's duty to respond to concerns or complaints from their customers. I agree that Hibs do generally respond to, if not all, then most of the correspondence that they receive from supporters and in my experience, this is generally done in a prompt manner. Lots of companies reply to hundreds of e-mails and letters every day, without it affecting the day-to-day running of the business.

I have never been in touch with the club to complain about lack of signings, poor performances or asking for clarification about a manager's position. However a lot of people clearly are worried and anxious about this situation, so much so that they feel it is important to convey those feelings to the club.

Although I have no intention of actually doing likewise, I feel that things have got to the stage now at the club that this must be resolved, one way or another, within the next few days. The board cannot allow this shambolic situation to continue into the new season and either Calderwood wants to stay at Hibs or he doesn't.

Last season was absolutely horrendous for the club and, apart from the season when we were relegated, it was the single worst season that I have ever witnessed as a Hibs fan in my lifetime. It was unacceptable on so many levels that it's difficult to know where to begin.

The club simply cannot allow this coming season to be a continuation of where we finished off last season and yet, if we have a manager who, deep down, does not really want to be here (and let's be honest here, he doesn't) and who is not 100% committed to the club because his heart is really in Birmingham or Nottingham then I don't see how we can possibly hope to have any improvement on last year.

Over the past three weeks, ever since this story broke linking Calderwood to Nottingham Forest, does anyone honestly think that the Hibs board would have allowed Calderwood to make any further signings? In addition to that, what agent worth his salt would encourage his client to sign for a club that has a manager with such a high profile question mark hanging over him with regards to his immediate future?

We have potentially missed out on several signings in recent weeks and this is getting into the crucial part of the year when players start to become available after their contracts expire and we are now just two weeks away from the start of the new season. This is made even worse by the fact that our squad is nowhere near (or should be nowhere near) finished being assembled for next season.

This whole sorry state of affairs is a complete and utter mess and it needs sorted out now, not next week or next month but now.

It's unlikely that it will be sorted out now, most of the folk involved will likely be in bed.

basehibby
08-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Ok and the other clubs?

I only mentioned two - The Yams and the Sheep - the 2 clubs closest to Hibs in turnover/stature/aspirations etc and both of them have loads of work to do on their stadia and debt management (even the Yams can surely only "lend themselves" so many millions without disappearing up their own rectum).

The OF are on a different financial level although we know the huns have severe debt/tax dodging problems.

As for the rest, Killie, Dundee Utd, St Mirren and St Johnstone are probably in alright nick stadium wise although all with significantly less capacity and facilities and hence earning potential. Not altogether sure about the rest TBH.

Take your point that there's no massive advantage in an immediate sense but these are long term investments which will yield benefits over decades rather than just a couple of years.

Beefster
08-07-2011, 06:11 AM

All the evidence that I've heard (from players, officials, fans etc) suggests that, in the meantime, Hibs continue to prepare for the forthcoming season. I haven't even heard anything concrete that signings are being affected.

So what is the evidence that while this saga drags on that things at Hibs are in limbo? Not unfounded rumours, not "I presume", not "well, it must be affecting..." - hard evidence.

I want it sorted and I think Calderwood might be better going but the hysteria on here is like a bunch of wee lassies having a tea party only to realise that a nasty boy has put slugs in the tea cups.

Kaiser1962
08-07-2011, 07:08 AM

They will have to spend at some point or they're ability to compete will be compromised. There is a trade off there but that is their choice. The Yams could choose not to spend but they will end up playing Euro matches elsewhere. Alternatively all the clubs could do what St.Mirren did, or St.Johnstone before them, and Aberdeen appear to doing, and do a deal whereby someone else pays for the stadium, or the deal is good enough to cover the cost of the build and clear their debts. Although St.Johnstone did that they are now heavily into Geoff Brown.

Of the clubs mentioned Hearts, Aberdeen and DUFC are currently in existence only due to the goodwill, and guarantees, of their owner. Milne, like Farmer, is more than capable of meeting any costs incurred by the Football Club personally but steadfastly refuses to do so. Rightly so IMO. Thomson's dad treated United like a spoiled child and now young Thomson (I am becoming an admirer of his) is in charge things are changing. He wants his families money back and will structure the club accordingly. Again IMO Utd and Dundee will be stadium sharing before the decade is out. Yams are a total basket case. MWell are only still here because of the grace of John Boyle. He sanctioned the silly money spending but paid for it personally. Lots of people lost out here but none more so, financially at least, than Boyle.

Of the clubs in Scotland only the OF and Hibs have fully future proof stadia and are owners of our own training and development facilities. Most of the big clubs in England, and elsewhere, have similar set up's.

number 27
08-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Who are these people?

They never seem to answer you on this one do they?

Doesn't stop the baseless allegations though.

marinello59
08-07-2011, 07:43 AM

It's you. :greengrin

matty_f
08-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Who are they?

Fwiw, I think the people know who they are. Posting names doesn't serve any purpose.

number 27
08-07-2011, 07:51 AM
It's you. :greengrin

Dammit, I've been rumbled :greengrin

Spike Mandela
08-07-2011, 07:56 AM
All the evidence that I've heard (from players, officials, fans etc) suggests that, in the meantime, Hibs continue to prepare for the forthcoming season. I haven't even heard anything concrete that signings are being affected.

So what is the evidence that while this saga drags on that things at Hibs are in limbo? Not unfounded rumours, not "I presume", not "well, it must be affecting..." - hard evidence.

I want it sorted and I think Calderwood might be better going but the hysteria on here is like a bunch of wee lassies having a tea party only to realise that a nasty boy has put slugs in the tea cups.

What hysteria. Are you honstly suggesting that while CC swithers over where he wants to be that the board are still actively chasing his signing targets?

You don't need evidence to realise how unlikely and foolish that would be.

number 27
08-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Who are they?

Fwiw, I think the people know who they are. Posting names doesn't serve any purpose.

I disagree, it seems that it is acceptable to suggest that some people who take a critical line to club issues are either "anti-hibs" or else simply stupid.

These are strong accusations that ,IMO, only have any value if you are prepared to back them up.

Mikey
08-07-2011, 07:59 AM

There's a thread on the PM board about a player that we've got on trial right now. That doesn't suggest that everything's in limbo.

bawheid
08-07-2011, 08:00 AM
What hysteria.

Are you serious??

marinello59
08-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I disagree, it seems that it is acceptable to suggest that some people who take a critical line to club issues are either "anti-hibs" or else simply stupid.

These are strong accusations that ,IMO, only have any value if you are prepared to back them up.

Should those who are accused en masse of stupidity as they naively bury their heads in the sand also be named individually then?
Singling out individual posters would only personalise the conversation. How would that help?

Spike Mandela
08-07-2011, 08:06 AM
There's a thread on the PM board about a player that we've got on trial right now. That doesn't suggest that everything's in limbo.

Trialists come and go at all clubs in pre season, who knows how long this has been arranged.

do you honestly want or believe that we will be signing players for a manager that could leave any day. Do you know any manager coming in that wouldn't want to sign his own players.:confused:

If we sign a player or two in the current situation I would suggest that is evidence things are carrying on as normal but I think a few people are starting to sound as delusional as our friends from across the city in regards to this matter.

Spike Mandela
08-07-2011, 08:08 AM

Are you serious??

Sorry, meant in regards to my own post.:greengrin

Yes I have noticed the occassional hissy fit:wink:

number 27
08-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Should those who are accused en masse of stupidity as they naively bury their heads in the sand also be named individually then?
Singling out individual posters would only personalise the conversation. How would that help?

It would help to raise the quality of debate ,IMO, if posters refrained from making wild accusations about anyone who raises an opposing opinion. All we end up with is the same old slanging match.

I agree it goes both ways but I honestly do feel that "anti-board" posters are instantly shouted down without any real attempt to engage in genuine debate. I also feel that the accusation of deliberately trying to undermine the club is a serious one that should be backed up if challenged.

IWasThere2016
08-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Didn't the club operate at a profit in the last financial year? :dunno:

The clue was in 'trade', and yes we made a profit after player sales. We will need ongoign player sales forever uness the fans base grows/cost base is reduced significantly.

matty_f
08-07-2011, 08:26 AM
It would help to raise the quality of debate ,IMO, if posters refrained from making wild accusations about anyone who raises an opposing opinion. All we end up with is the same old slanging match.

I agree it goes both ways but I honestly do feel that "anti-board" posters are instantly shouted down without any real attempt to engage in genuine debate. I also feel that the accusation of deliberately trying to undermine the club is a serious one that should be backed up if challenged.

To be honest, I feel I've backed up arguments against 'anti-board' posts to the point where I'm actually boring myself with them.

The shouting down goes two ways though, with folk being labelled as naiive, head-in-the-sand etc.

matty_f
08-07-2011, 08:27 AM
The clue was in 'trade', and yes we made a profit after player sales. We will need ongoign player sales forever uness the fans base grows/cost base is reduced significantly.

Do you expect us to all of a sudden stop selling players and become the only team in world football to do so?

IWasThere2016
08-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Do you expect us to all of a sudden stop selling players and become the only team in world football to do so?

No - absolutely not. We will always sell players - despite the Board's nonsense soundbite that we do not need to sell.

The issues are the quality of the replacements, and tell me where is the foreseeable £2m per annum coming for the next 2-3 years say?

bawheid
08-07-2011, 08:41 AM
No - absolutely not. We will always sell players - despite the Board's nonsense soundbite that we do not need to sell.

The issues are the quality of the replacements, and tell me where is the foreseeable £2m per annum coming for the next 2-3 years say?

It'll come from the 3rd place finish, record merchandise sales due to our appearance in two national cup finals, followed up by 15,000 season tickets sold on the back of a historic Scottish Cup win.

marinello59
08-07-2011, 08:47 AM

The only conclusion to be drawn from that comment is that you are only seeing one side of the debate, There are plenty of well argued posts giving opposing opinions. And there is also plenty of cr@p on both sides....a lot of it from me. :greengrin
Anyway............back to the ''Rod is great, oh no he isn't'' stuff. :thumbsup:

Beefster
08-07-2011, 08:49 AM
What hysteria. Are you honstly suggesting that while CC swithers over where he wants to be that the board are still actively chasing his signing targets?

You don't need evidence to realise how unlikely and foolish that would be.

I think we do need evidence when folk are making bold, baseless claims and using those claims as a baseball bat to attack the manager and club.

So what you're saying is that you have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes? You have no idea what Calderwood and Rodders have spoken about, you have no idea if we are still looking at players and you have no idea if the pre-season training has been affected.

In the meantime, the folk who do know - the officials, the staff and the players are saying things are going on as expected.

Im glad we clarified that.

IWasThere2016
08-07-2011, 08:52 AM
It'll come from the 3rd place finish, record merchandise sales due to our appearance in two national cup finals, followed up by 15,000 season tickets sold on the back of a historic Scottish Cup win.

Aye bound to happen now you've said it :thumbsup:

matty_f
08-07-2011, 09:12 AM
I think we do need evidence when folk are making bold, baseless claims and using those claims as a baseball bat to attack the manager and club.

So what you're saying is that you have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes? You have no idea what Calderwood and Rodders have spoken about, you have no idea if we are still looking at players and you have no idea if the pre-season training has been affected.

In the meantime, the folk who do know - the officials, the staff and the players are saying things are going on as expected.

That's exactly the point I've been trying to make.:agree:

Stevie Reid
08-07-2011, 09:22 AM

In The Herald on 3 Jan 2010, Scott Linsday said the following: -

“What we’ve got right at this moment in time is a little bit of a cash cushion that’s been generated by the way the club’s been run. And we shouldn’t underestimate the benefit of that. Five years of consecutive profit has generated ‘positive’ cash and it’s been spent in a number of ways.

“Some of it has gone towards recruiting players – including paying transfer fees – some of it was spent reducing our debt and a big chunk of it was spent on building and paying for the training centre. After all the expenditure mentioned, we still had that small cash cushion and it’s probably allowed us to tweak how things have been running rather than take a machete to what we’re doing."

I'm sure I've heard RP refer to this cash cushion before as well, though I suppose it's perfectly possible that it may have gone by now with the stand being built and the extensive palyer recruitment in January this year.

However, no matter how we achieved it, may made a profit again last year. Some posters (not just Cropley10) are claiming that the board deserve little credit for our financial position as selling players is easy, you have alluded (in your more recent posts in this thread) to the fact that we're going to struggle in the future because we have no assets worth selling.

I've heard people claim on here many times in the past that there was nothing left to sell, but we've always sold players for good money on a regular basis.

Spike Mandela
08-07-2011, 09:26 AM

I have always stated that pre season training will be carrying on as normal, what else can they do?

however I think any reasonable person will understand that the board will not be chasing signing targets of a manager who has not declared he is guaranteed to be here at the start of the season. I notice you haven't clarified if you believe this to be the case.

Disco Dave
08-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Petrie to stay or go? :greengrin

Stevie Reid
08-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Stay.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-07-2011, 09:45 AM
GTF!

Beefster
08-07-2011, 09:49 AM
The club needs fresh thinking. He's sorted the over-spending that he authorised and left us an infrastructure legacy to be proud of. Now is the ideal time to go.

He won't though.

Cropley10
08-07-2011, 09:50 AM
In The Herald on 3 Jan 2010, Scott Linsday said the following: -

“What we’ve got right at this moment in time is a little bit of a cash cushion that’s been generated by the way the club’s been run. And we shouldn’t underestimate the benefit of that. Five years of consecutive profit has generated ‘positive’ cash and it’s been spent in a number of ways.

“Some of it has gone towards recruiting players – including paying transfer fees – some of it was spent reducing our debt and a big chunk of it was spent on building and paying for the training centre. After all the expenditure mentioned, we still had that small cash cushion and it’s probably allowed us to tweak how things have been running rather than take a machete to what we’re doing."

I'm sure I've heard RP refer to this cash cushion before as well, though I suppose it's perfectly possible that it may have gone by now with the stand being built and the extensive palyer recruitment in January this year.

However, no matter how we achieved it, may made a profit again last year. Some posters (not just Cropley10) are claiming that the board deserve little credit for our financial position as selling players is easy, you have alluded (in your more recent posts in this thread) to the fact that we're going to struggle in the future because we have no assets worth selling.

I've heard people claim on here many times in the past that there was nothing left to sell, but we've always sold players for good money on a regular basis.

Please can you provide a link where I say the board deserve little credit for our financial position:aok:

But what I did write on page 6 was "what people do in business is sell x and buy y - we sold land and we sold players. We paid our debts and spent it on buildings. I think that was - ultimately - the correct thing to do and it has been done well. But I don't think any of that is very hard to do"

Baker9
08-07-2011, 09:52 AM

If we address the problem in a purely business sense our logical action would be:

Appoint a football director who will not be bullied by Petrie.

Put Petrie out to graze – he has done his job and done it very well, that job being to give Hibs a long term platform on which to develop. We do not need someone with his skills now. We have directors who are capable of looking after the purse strings on an ongoing basis. I would not object to a small statue of Petrie at the ground (next to a bigger one of Sir Tom). Thank you, thank you to both of you. We need someone who will drive the club to its next stage.

Our prospective customer base is in Edinburgh and maybe 20 miles around it. There are enough Hibs fans plus potential Hibs fans to fill our stadium if they could be attracted to it.

Our key competitor has been run into the ground and perhaps will never recover. This is a massive opportunity for us. Edinburgh is full of people not born in Edinburgh but living here permanently. They have not been brought up to support either team. If they could associate with a team they could fill a stadium.

Hearts, with some justification claim to be the big team. All they are is a local team with a romantic name that means nothing to people outside or inside Edinburgh unless they are born Hearts supporters.

Edinburgh needs and can support only one team. An Edinburgh team with superb infrastructure could expect to be a contender for a British League as a respectable option to the old firm. Edinburgh is the Capital of Scotland. It would attract that latent fan base and visitors to Edinburgh would at least be able to identify the Edinburgh team. Edinburgh is a fabulous brand.

This would need a change of team name to Edinburgh Hibs. If we are to have a viable future it lies in being the establishment team in Edinburgh, the big team. We have to look to the future and not cling to the past.

Phil MaGlass
08-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Although I have previously said he should go, I now dont think he should, the guy has alot of knowledge of the club, maybe step aside and let a new guy take over, guys with his knowledge are difficult to come by i would think?
Maybe the poll should give another option of stay at Hibs but step aside?

Expecting Rain
08-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Rod Petrie should stay, his managerial appointments apart from Sauzee [ bad timing] have been realistic in the context of Hibs, he`s backed them all but excluding Mowbray they`ve let him down, as well as some of the players, he`s not responsibile for the tapping of Calderwood and is handling the situation well, in my opinion.

Lucius Apuleius
08-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Stay. FACT. END OF.

basehibby
08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
........... The Yams could choose not to spend but they will end up playing Euro matches elsewhere. .........
Of the clubs in Scotland only the OF and Hibs have fully future proof stadia and are owners of our own training and development facilities. Most of the big clubs in England, and elsewhere, have similar set up's.

....not to mention the outright humiliation of the "big team" playing in their wee-er stadium. Make no mistake - it pains the Yams immensely to see us wee-teamers enjoying our state of the art 20,000 seater venue while they continue to slum it in their condemned asbestos bus shelter :hahaha::sofa:

RIP
08-07-2011, 10:06 AM
New Chairman - Scott Lindsay
CEO - Fife Hyland
Same Finance, Ops Directors
New HR Director who can have a positive impact on recruitment, performance management, culture, quality
New Marketing and Comms Manager - a real sports entrepreneur who can put spectacle and flair into matchdays
New Football Director - a brainy former pro with badges who will develop strategies for coach recruitment, squad building, youth development, fitness, lifestyle, motivation. We have two former managers who could be candidates for this role. One is Tony Mowbray and the other is John Collins. Both had problems with their management careers particularly tactics but I think would be ideal for a football director role

basehibby
08-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Trialists come and go at all clubs in pre season, who knows how long this has been arranged.

do you honestly want or believe that we will be signing players for a manager that could leave any day. Do you know any manager coming in that wouldn't want to sign his own players.:confused:

If we sign a player or two in the current situation I would suggest that is evidence things are carrying on as normal but I think a few people are starting to sound as delusional as our friends from across the city in regards to this matter.

Clutching at straws smiley required no?

Not suggesting that current situ is ideal but who do you suppose invited said player for trial and intends to run the rule over him then?

Beefster
08-07-2011, 10:14 AM
I have always stated that pre season training will be carrying on as normal, what else can they do?

however I think any reasonable person will understand that the board will not be chasing signing targets of a manager who has not declared he is guaranteed to be here at the start of the season. I notice you haven't clarified if you believe this to be the case.

"I think" and "will understand" yet you continue to use 'definite' words like "will not" rather than "will probably not". As I've said Petrie will more than likely have a very good idea of whether Calderwood wants to go or not.

I haven't clarified anything because I don't know what is happening behind the scenes other than the statements made by the club. Don't believe any of the nonsense that you read on here. If folk genuinely had any idea what was going on, Calderwood would be long gone and O'Neill, no, Strachan, no, Irvine, no, Bollan, no, Collins would have been appointed by now.

basehibby
08-07-2011, 10:15 AM

A nonsense soundbite or a carefully considered media release for the consumption of prospective buyers as well as us supporters?

MrSmith
08-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Don't think this is quite his time yet however, I change in direction and attitude from him would not go amiss! We do need to be prudent and pragmatic but not to the extent we are at the moment.

There is other ways for Hibs to be sustainable, it just requires a little out-the-box thinking and a flexible approach that includes the fans, local community and business.

smurf
08-07-2011, 10:24 AM
The Football Club is losing £2 Million a year.

The Football Team finished TENTH in the SPL with early departures in all cup competition.

And we go through Managers more than Romanov does at the Yams.

Season ticket numbers are falling. Only the hardcore are renewing.

We are a shambles. Utter incompetence with no answers or leadership. This pre season should have been about addressing what went wrong last season. We haven't and we won't. Depressingly we will yet again struggle next season. It's a yes from me.

jdships
08-07-2011, 10:30 AM
It's a STAY for me
Given the enormity of the financial problems we had he has certainly "led us out of the wilderness " ,
Let's now give the man the chance to move the club upward and onward :agree:
:flag:

hibsbollah
08-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Its none of my business.

cwilliamson85
08-07-2011, 10:33 AM
STAY!

If Tache was to leave who wouldd take his place?

Stevie Reid
08-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Please can you provide a link where I say the board deserve little credit for our financial position:aok:

But what I did write on page 6 was "what people do in business is sell x and buy y - we sold land and we sold players. We paid our debts and spent it on buildings. I think that was - ultimately - the correct thing to do and it has been done well. But I don't think any of that is very hard to do"

Forgive me, though I was also referring to other posters who had stated more clearly that they believe that the board don't deserve praise for their achievements.

FWIW, saying that someone does something well but then saying that it isn't hard to do, is pretty faint praise in my book! :greengrin

But I appreciate much of what you're saying, despite disagreeing on a few points.

Stevie Reid
08-07-2011, 10:35 AM
A nonsense soundbite or a carefully considered media release for the consumption of prospective buyers as well as us supporters?

Correct. I've said this before, look at the money that Dundee Utd have got for their top players in the last few years when they've made it clear that they need to sell, and look at what we've reaped from our stand point.

bawheid
08-07-2011, 10:36 AM
We are a shambles.

If you keep saying it enough, it might even come true!!

jdships
08-07-2011, 10:37 AM
If you keep saying it enough, it might even come true!!

:thumbsup::agree::greengrin

Stevie Reid
08-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Rod Petrie should stay, his managerial appointments apart from Sauzee [ bad timing] have been realistic in the context of Hibs, he`s backed them all but excluding Mowbray they`ve let him down, as well as some of the players, he`s not responsibile for the tapping of Calderwood and is handling the situation well, in my opinion.

Completely agree, and as well as backing every manager as much as possible, he has managed to get excellent money in for players (some of whom even came back for free).

I, and I don't think I'm alone here, find it much easier to envisage how much worse things could be without Rod in charge, as opposed to how much better they might get with some else at the helm.