PDA

View Full Version : Matt Thornhill

Hfc_Since1875
06-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Minus his free kick effort which was terrible!

Thought he had a great game when he came on!!!
Great touch and through balls for booth!

Very excited about him next season :thumbsup:

Aldo
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
HFC we keep this boy fit and along with Pallsson in the middle of the field then we should be okay in CM.

Like Thornhill as for me has a very good all round game.

Fingers crossed a good signing and I am sure he will be committed to the cause. :devil:

Ed De Gramo
06-07-2011, 05:11 PM

HFC we keep this boy fit and along with Pallsson in the middle of the field then we should be okay in CM.

Like Thornhill as for me has a very good all round game.

Fingers crossed a good signing and I am sure he will be committed to the cause. :devil:

Matt will be a big player for us if he can stay fit this coming season :agree:

He impressed me in few games he played last season and also gave the midfield an extra dimension last night.

Franck is God
06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I thought last season that our better form coincided with his improving fitness and tailed off when he got injured against Aberdeen.

His eye for a pass is excellent and more importantly he knows when to play it first time to move it quickly or just keep possession and wait for the right opportunity, he was a big miss for the last half dozen games.

Baldy Foghorn
06-07-2011, 09:33 PM

:agree:

Judas Iscariot
06-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Was impressed with him last night :agree:

Looks like a classy player :aok:

seven nowt
06-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Most consistant player on the team. One of our better players. I for one have never seen him have a bad game.

Lofarl
06-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Times have changed. Most people on here were slating him last year, for reasons unknown to me. I've always thought he was a decent player for us.

Removed
06-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Times have changed. Most people on here were slating him last year, for reasons unknown to me. I've always thought he was a decent player for us.

He didn't exactly play much before he got injured did he. I really can't remember much about him and I didn't miss many games. Was impressed with him in the Livi game when he came on though.

GreenPJ
07-07-2011, 07:56 AM
He didn't exactly play much before he got injured did he. I really can't remember much about him and I didn't miss many games. Was impressed with him in the Livi game when he came on though.

Since when has that ever been a reason to stop people from making snap decisions on a player.

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2011, 08:01 AM
He looked from the brief glimpse we got last season a player who was comfortable on the ball, and could tackle and pick a pass.

All of them should be looking good against teams like livingston.

matty_f
07-07-2011, 08:26 AM
He looked from the brief glimpse we got last season a player who was comfortable on the ball, and could tackle and pick a pass.

All of them should be looking good against teams like livingston.

When he got injured our form dropped again at the end of last season. I think there is a lot of potential there (and yes, they should all look good against a team like Livingston:agree:).

IWasThere2016
07-07-2011, 08:41 AM
When he got injured our form dropped again at the end of last season. I think there is a lot of potential there (and yes, they should all look good against a team like Livingston:agree:).

Save Michael Hart :wink: Did Ed the Donkey play?

Stevie Reid
07-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Thought the amount we missed him in our last 5 games highlighted how good he had been for us after an inauspicious first few appearances - seems to have the attributes and attitude to flourish in the SPL.

superfurryhibby
07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Whilst I hope Matt turns out to be a good signing for us I saw very little in the games he played last season. Early days. Here's hoping a good pre season gets him of to the start he needs.

Cocaine&Caviar
07-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Thought the amount we missed him in our last 5 games highlighted how good he had been for us after an inauspicious first few appearances - seems to have the attributes and attitude to flourish in the SPL.

Im still a little curious as to what his main attributes were, I have to admit I was closely watching Booth, Sodje and Palsson in the games after January, so I am unsure as to wht type of player he is. Box to box? Playmaker? Ball winner?

Stevie Reid
07-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Im still a little curious as to what his main attributes were, I have to admit I was closely watching Booth, Sodje and Palsson in the games after January, so I am unsure as to wht type of player he is. Box to box? Playmaker? Ball winner?

Firstly he seems a battler with a good attitude, which is something that we all know we have lacked. Maybe box to box would be the best description, in that he put in an equal amount of work defensively and going forward. Good energy levels and didn't shirk any challenges from what I saw, and I liked the fact that he couldn't wait to play for us and was playing whilst carrying an injury.

I couldn't say I noticed a great range of passing, but he showed some nice wee touches, such as the one to set up Deeks for the chance late on in the 2-2 derby. Seemed to be decent in the air too, and CC reckoned he would be good for a few goals when he signed him. I don't think he has a great deal of finesse about him but at the same time, he seems more cultured than Martin Scott.

All IMO of course!

patlowe
07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Didn't see much to get excited about whatsoever last season but completely willing to give the guy time to win me over.

soproni1
07-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Firstly he seems a battler with a good attitude, which is something that we all know we have lacked. Maybe box to box would be the best description, in that he put in an equal amount of work defensively and going forward. Good energy levels and didn't shirk any challenges from what I saw, and I liked the fact that he couldn't wait to play for us and was playing whilst carrying an injury.

I couldn't say I noticed a great range of passing, but he showed some nice wee touches, such as the one to set up Deeks for the chance late on in the 2-2 derby. Seemed to be decent in the air too, and CC reckoned he would be good for a few goals when he signed him. I don't think he has a great deal of finesse about him but at the same time, he seems more cultured than Martin Scott.

All IMO of course!

Pretty decent assessment IMO

Think he's got quite similar attributes to Palsson, but Palsson defends better and Thornhill attacks better - both seem to have enough quality to provide us with a few highs this season

Thought he was good in the last derby

R'Albin
07-07-2011, 02:20 PM

All IMO of course!

I don't see the point in having him, we already have a box to box midfielder:greengrin

500miles
07-07-2011, 05:12 PM
He showed some nice touches, but games passed him by last season, and he seemed to be a step behind play most of the time. Too late to make challanges, didn't win much of the ball. All a bit Brian Kerr.

Hopefully with a full preseason he finds that sharpness that he was missing last season, and makes use of the vision he obviously possesses. Seems to be able to unlock defenses with a single touch of the ball.

frazeHFC
07-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I liked him last season and we fell apart as soon as he got injured, the very next game. He was excellant on Tuesday.

hibsbollah
07-07-2011, 07:43 PM
The question is, does he put in the required unseen work?

Andy74
07-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Naw. He didn't do enough last year to have been the difference between our good form and bad form.

Graham Stack has more of a shout for being the one whos appearances matched our brief form.

renato
07-07-2011, 08:01 PM

All IMO of course!

Would agree with this. From the limited time we've seen him he also seems to have an air of authority and maturity about him......he immediately dictated the play when he came on the park on Tuesday and acted very much like a guy in his mid to late 20's and certainly not a 22 year old.

I also think we've got someone in the midfield who (finally) can time a run into the box and be a goal threat. Been a while since we had one of those. Fingers crossed he lives up to expectation this season - we're gonna need him.

ozzie
07-07-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't see the point in having him, we already have a box to box midfielder:greengrin

talking off which has degraff apeared pre season? if not any idea why not?

hibsbollah
07-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Like every great midfielder, he's unseen.

frazeHFC
07-07-2011, 09:17 PM

He was sitting along from me in the Hibs end on Tuesday.

Stevie Reid
08-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Naw. He didn't do enough last year to have been the difference between our good form and bad form.

Graham Stack has more of a shout for being the one whos appearances matched our brief form.

I'm not claiming he was the difference between our good and bad form, I'm saying that his absence was noticable in our woeful finish to the season.

Speedway
08-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Like every great midfielder, he's unseen.

I've never seen it from that angle.

Andy74
08-07-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm not claiming he was the difference between our good and bad form, I'm saying that his absence was noticable in our woeful finish to the season.

What's the difference in what you are saying?

For me his absence wasn't noticeable because he had hardly done anything for us even in our good run.

If his absence thereafter was noticeable then you are surely suggesting that his absence had something to do with our bad run.

I think it's co-incidence and that his absence was not noticeable at all.

Stevie Reid
08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
What's the difference in what you are saying?

For me his absence wasn't noticeable because he had hardly done anything for us even in our good run.

If his absence thereafter was noticeable then you are surely suggesting that his absence had something to do with our bad run.

I think it's co-incidence and that his absence was not noticeable at all.

I don't really feel that I need to clarify my point again, but yes, I am saying and have been saying all along that his absence had something to do with our bad form - when I made that point initially you stated "Naw. He didn't do enough last year to have been the difference between our good form and bad form." But that was never my point and I clarified that with "I'm not claiming he was the difference between our good and bad form, I'm saying that his absence was noticable in our woeful finish to the season".

Between our run of 5 wins in a row (in which he only started two games anyway), and our awful 1 point out of 18 end to the season (where he was injured), we played 4 games and took 6 points, he started in all the games that we took points from. From what I saw and heard of him in those games, I believe that we missed his contribution in the final 6 matches and may well have gained more points with him in the side (though that is purely conjecture, I certainly don't believe that we could possibly have been any worse). I am NOT stating that he was the difference between our best form and our worst form.

I don't mind that you don't agree regarding Thornhill's importance, but I would rather that you could see the point that I was making.

IWasThere2016
08-07-2011, 02:41 PM
And yet Alan O'Brien was a player :wink: :greengrin

GreenCastle
10-07-2011, 02:08 PM
So Thornhill came on yesterday and changed the game scoring 2 goals...and setting up the 3rd..

edwards
10-07-2011, 03:13 PM
And yet Alan O'Brien was a player :wink: :greengrin

Ye better get back to the chemist for more meds, we have never really given Thornhill a chance yet, thought he looked quite good in the derby game at ER then ended up injured.
Lets see how he can adapt this season. All the best for the coming season Matt. :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
10-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Ye better get back to the chemist for more meds, we have never really given Thornhill a chance yet, thought he looked quite good in the derby game at ER then ended up injured.
Lets see how he can adapt this season. All the best for the coming season Matt. :thumbsup:

I rate Thornhill :wink:

Its #74 who rates AOB. If you do your homework, Andy's XI includes Maka, Hart, EDG and AOB - 'ably' managed by Yogi of course :greengrin

mon the cabbage
11-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I think he is one of the best players we have. I feel comfortable when the balls at his feet. He can play a great pass and score goals. he is only about 22-23 i think.

I would like to see him a bit stronger in tackle. He is the glue of the team. we fell apart at the end of last season without him.

hibsbollah
11-07-2011, 09:09 AM
I rate Thornhill :wink:

Its #74 who rates AOB. If you do your homework, Andy's XI includes Maka, Hart, EDG and AOB - 'ably' managed by Yogi of course :greengrin

Andy's continuinal championing of alan o'brien week after week was great WUM reading. Its only recently I realised he was being serious....

Judas Iscariot
11-07-2011, 09:12 AM
I think he is one of the best players we have. I feel comfortable when the balls at his feet. He can play a great pass and score goals. he is only about 22-23 i think.

I would like to see him a bit stronger in tackle. He is the glue of the team. we fell apart at the end of last season without him.

When were we glued together?

mon the cabbage
11-07-2011, 09:20 AM
When were we glued together?

before thornhill was injured. we had an unbeaten run.

Andy74
11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't really feel that I need to clarify my point again, but yes, I am saying and have been saying all along that his absence had something to do with our bad form - when I made that point initially you stated "Naw. He didn't do enough last year to have been the difference between our good form and bad form." But that was never my point and I clarified that with "I'm not claiming he was the difference between our good and bad form, I'm saying that his absence was noticable in our woeful finish to the season".

Between our run of 5 wins in a row (in which he only started two games anyway), and our awful 1 point out of 18 end to the season (where he was injured), we played 4 games and took 6 points, he started in all the games that we took points from. From what I saw and heard of him in those games, I believe that we missed his contribution in the final 6 matches and may well have gained more points with him in the side (though that is purely conjecture, I certainly don't believe that we could possibly have been any worse). I am NOT stating that he was the difference between our best form and our worst form.

I don't mind that you don't agree regarding Thornhill's importance, but I would rather that you could see the point that I was making.

I don't see it, I'm sorry, you are either saying that Thornhill missing was one of the reasons behind our poor form at the end of the season or not.

Saying his being missing was noticeable is just the same thing.

I think he now looks a cracking player and will be vital to us this season given what's around him, but he did very little in his games for us last year. for that reason I don't think you can say his being missing was noticeable.

Expecting Rain
11-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Did nothing in the games i saw last season but those who have seen him in the pre-season friendlies seem to be excited, i hope he does the business next season as we need as many good players as we can get.

IWasThere2016
11-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Did nothing in the games i saw last season but those who have seen him in the pre-season friendlies seem to be excited, i hope he does the business next season as we need as many good players as we can get.

He is noticably lighter/leaner .. he wasn't fully fit last season. FACT.

Expecting Rain
11-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Sounds promising.

Speedway
11-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Source?