PDA

View Full Version : What was Yogi's unworkable legacy?

Spike Mandela
06-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Was it the fact so many players were out of contract:confused:

Or is it something else............

Iain G
06-07-2011, 01:47 AM

That he was a slavering failure of a Hibs manager who couldn't motivate the bunch of waster he signed to turn our misfortune around and had us plummeting towards relegation. :agree:

Bayern Bru
06-07-2011, 02:35 AM
Signing Alan Gow.
Repeatedly playing John Rankin.
Thinking Chris Hogg was a right back.
Signing Graeme Smith.
Losing the dressing room.
Talking (the same) nonsense repeatedly.
Signing Patrick Cregg.
Signing David Stephens but not playing him.

zlatan
06-07-2011, 02:58 AM
The goalkeeping school
The lack of plan b (not the singer)
The complete dismissal of fans concerns
Ross County at home
Ross County away

WellingtonHibby
06-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Pipe down guys - Fitba Peepul ken whit he wiz daein, likes...

I think its a less than oblique reference to his kamikaze approach to signings, including 400 goalkeepers, nae defenders and a complete disregard to methodical and tactical approaches to games that left us at the foot of a piss poor table...

Dashing Bob S
06-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Yes, he really squandered the family jewels we had accumulated under the startlingly successful tenure of Collins and Mixu.

All three of them made bad mistakes, but all suffered to an extent of having little to work with as the Mowbray team was sold off in other to build the new stand and training ground. The exciting young players were replaced, largely, by prima donas and wasters who thought they were better than they were.

Now, the theory is, is that all money raised should be spent on players in terms of wages and transfer fees.

However, we still seem too about as, or less, competitive in this area as the Dundee United's and Motherwell's of this world.

Yogi, like Collins and Mixu, had his flaws. But all three have, to some extent, been whipping boys for the board's strategy which meant that the playing side of things would transitional as the infrastructure would be put first.

Now we're waiting for a decent manager, bringing through good young players, backed by an adventurous board making the odd inspired quality signing.

So when's that happening, Rod?

sahib
06-07-2011, 07:10 AM
That he was a slavering failure of a Hibs manager who couldn't motivate the bunch of waster he signed to turn our misfortune around and had us plummeting towards relegation. :agree:

They have nearly all done that at some stage.

sahib
06-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Yes, he really squandered the family jewels we had accumulated under the startlingly successful tenure of Collins and Mixu.

All three of them made bad mistakes, but all suffered to an extent of having little to work with as the Mowbray team was sold off in other to build the new stand and training ground. The exciting young players were replaced, largely, by prima donas and wasters who thought they were better than they were.

Now, the theory is, is that all money raised should be spent on players in terms of wages and transfer fees.

However, we still seem too about as, or less, competitive in this area as the Dundee United's and Motherwell's of this world.

Yogi, like Collins and Mixu, had his flaws. But all three have, to some extent, been whipping boys for the board's strategy which meant that the playing side of things would transitional as the infrastructure would be put first.

Now we're waiting for a decent manager, bringing through good young players, backed by an adventurous board making the odd inspired quality signing.

The situation in a nutshell.:agree:

J-C
06-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Yogi.......

Barracked youngsters and destroyed their confidence

Brought in too many poor players

Playing people out of position when all could see it was wrong

Never realising his mistakes and doing nothing about it

Having a top class strike force but continually thinking playing DR at left midfield would work

Allowing players to do as they wish and not punish them, Stokes etc hence causing a dressing room unrest and players not wanting to play for him

Allowing so many players contracts to run down all at once

LancsHibs
06-07-2011, 07:23 AM
The goalkeeping school
Ross County at home
Ross County away

The same could be said of Calderwood, just incert Ayr United in place of Ross County:rolleyes:
Not defending Yogi as he was a poor manager but on reflection I found Petrie's remarks about the 'previous incumbant'(who you appointed sir!!) a little dissapointing:confused: He praises CC's record from February to the split but the rest of it was rank rotten!!! What about after the split or before Christmas!!!!!! Also didnt Yogi have a good spell at the start of the previous season????
Sorry Rod, I know your comments were aimed at prospective suiters and you are trying to get the best deal for Hibs but it has to be said both JH and CC were crap appointments made by you!! I for one will not be sorry to see the back of this joker and hope to God the next one is much much better.

TrickyNicky
06-07-2011, 07:41 AM

I thought the comment was unnecessary and someone in his office should have tried to advise him against making it.

It appeared to me as a personal attack on JH and not the forum to do so.

Yogi made many mistakes but he was manager when Hibs got their last European spot and he served the club well as a player in my opinion.

Saorsa
06-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Signing Alan Gow.
Repeatedly playing John Rankin.
Thinking Chris Hogg was a right back.
Signing Graeme Smith.
Losing the dressing room.
Talking (the same) nonsense repeatedly.
Signing Patrick Cregg.
Signing David Stephens but not playing him.

The goalkeeping school
Ross County at home
Ross County awaySigning Hart and DeGraaf, still here and still taking a good wage (by Hibs standards) out of the club.

bingo70
06-07-2011, 07:50 AM
I think the comment on what CC took over when justifying the lack of success he had last season was entirely relevant and considering Yogi hasn't been shy in his comments about hibs i don't see why we should be walking on egg shells trying not to hurt his feelings.

I think what he was referring to was the size of the squad full of absolute dross that wasn't getting played, the goalkeeping school and the panic signing of Trakys showed a complete lack of respect to the fact we are a club that has to work on a limited budget but is trying to support the manager as much as possible. Then there is the rumours of Yogi not having a great relationship with the players, has been said he was a bit of a bully to the younger guys, now i don't know if that was true or if it was just his style some people struggled to deal with but i would say the squad took over was completely demoralised and CC had a tough job picking them up.

Beefster
06-07-2011, 07:53 AM
I thought the comment was unnecessary and someone in his office should have tried to advise him against making it.

It appeared to me as a personal attack on JH and not the forum to do so.

Yogi made many mistakes but he was manager when Hibs got their last European spot and he served the club well as a player in my opinion.

We only know the legacy that he left on the pitch (and that was bad enough). If he left a mess behind the scenes too and is now taking random pops at the club, I think the club is right to fire a warning at him. It was effectively saying, IMO, "quieten down or we'll say more".

TrickyNicky
06-07-2011, 08:06 AM
We only know the legacy that he left on the pitch (and that was bad enough). If he left a mess behind the scenes too and is now taking random pops at the club, I think the club is right to fire a warning at him. It was effectively saying, IMO, "quieten down or we'll say more".

I don't disagree with anything above, I too thought he was an idiot at times but Rod did give him the managers job and I thought he may have sanctioned Yogi's potential signings, Yogi also implied that it was his idea to run out the contracts of those he felt were not worthwhile keeping. ( may be more rubbish )

I just thought that it was out of character and not the forum to make a pop at JH.

hibsbollah
06-07-2011, 08:10 AM
I see the 'unworkable legacy of the previous incumbent' has made it to the Metro back page. The squad was deep but poor, we're going to have it shallower but better-
thats the cut of Rods jib.

Iain G
06-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't disagree with anything above, I too thought he was an idiot at times but Rod did give him the managers job and I thought he may have sanctioned Yogi's potential signings, Yogi also implied that it was his idea to run out the contracts of those he felt were not worthwhile keeping. ( may be more rubbish )

I just thought that it was out of character and not the forum to make a pop at JH.

What do you mean by sanction though, are you suggesting RP vetted the players that Yogi wanted to sign and approved or disapproved of them? That's not his role, he's not Mad Vlad!

Petrie has often stated that his job is to support the manager as much as possible. Manager identifies players and Rod and the board try to provide the funds to help the manager build the squad he wan't to sign the players that he, the manager has identified.

RP should not be responsible for Paddy Cregg or Michael Hart or whoever the manager of the time identified as players he wanted. :agree:

Saorsa
06-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I see the 'unworkable legacy of the previous incumbent' has made it to the Metro back page. The squad was deep but poor, we're going to have it shallower but better-
thats the cut of Rods jib.Well it's certainly shallower - unfortunately we've no signed enough new players tae make it better and at this rate.....

AlbertK86
06-07-2011, 09:20 AM
If ROD felt so strongly about the previous incumbent why did he let him spiral out of control...

ROD sacked him when he felt the pressure was beginning to mount on himself and he was about to get pelters at the AGM... easy way out for him and all about self preservation.

Now instead of slagging Yogi he should have had this mess sorted out before now as it has dragged on for weeks. This statement is a fortnight too late in my opinion.

ROD do what you are paid to do ... get it sorted ASAP.

Certainly sounds as if CCs heart is down south with his family from Real Radio interview.

If this is the case then that will not change. Would have liked him to stay as I believe he was on the verge of building a decent team. A few more astute signings would have seen us in a decent position.

However time to move on a get prepared for the new season

ROD do what you are paid to do ... get it sorted ASAP

joe breezy
06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
I wasn't a Yogi fan but signings such as Stokes and Miller at least showed ambition

Speedway
06-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I wasn't a Yogi fan but signings such as Stokes and Miller at least showed ambition

By the board who makes the signings?

TrickyNicky
06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
What do you mean by sanction though, are you suggesting RP vetted the players that Yogi wanted to sign and approved or disapproved of them? That's not his role, he's not Mad Vlad!

Petrie has often stated that his job is to support the manager as much as possible. Manager identifies players and Rod and the board try to provide the funds to help the manager build the squad he wan't to sign the players that he, the manager has identified.

RP should not be responsible for Paddy Cregg or Michael Hart or whoever the manager of the time identified as players he wanted. :agree:

No, I'm not suggesting that he vetted them at all.

The Falcon
06-07-2011, 11:38 AM

He's not replied has he?

3pm
06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
The unworkable legacy was his mouth.

Iain G
06-07-2011, 11:41 AM
No, I'm not suggesting that he vetted them at all.

Good as he shouldn't be second guessing HIS manager on football decisions :agree:

Iain G
06-07-2011, 11:43 AM
The unworkable legacy was his mouth.

Actually I think it was the manual gearbox Subaru the club bought him as a company car, apparantely Yogi only has an Automatic driving license so found it completly unworkable... :wink:

Keith_M
06-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't think Petrie should have got involved in what is purely a personal slanging match. Neither of them can really claim to have made nos mistakes during their repective roles so I'd rather not here them complain.

Petrie could have said something like:
"I'm dissapointed to hear of the comments by a former employee but feel it does the club no good to get involved in a slanging match, so will be making no further comment".

3pm
06-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Actually I think it was the manual gearbox Subaru the club bought him as a company car, apparantely Yogi only has an Automatic driving license so found it completly unworkable... :wink:

Car folk ken what's goan oan! :grr::grr:

LeithBoozy
06-07-2011, 12:05 PM
When an away goal means so much in Europe, I am still recovering from Yogi leaving Stokes and Deek on the bench?. I know real football fans knew what he was doing, I just wish to f$*k they would tell me. :rolleyes:

superfurryhibby
06-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Well said Bob, whilst Yogi clearly had flaws I feel he has been overly scapegoated for his tenure. Fourth place and Europe wasn't a bad record, compared to the record of many Hibs managers of the past thirty years.

Rod should have kept quiet and showed a bit more dignity. Maybe now that the subject was raised he could elaborate on the role of the board in this unworkable legacy. Whilst he's at it he could also explain the appalling track record for managerial appointees during his own tenure as Chief Exec, maybe saying more on his own role in the players undermining of Collins or perhaps detailing why his research whilst appointing Calderwood seems to have once again let the club down?

Shame that football's code of Omerta is so prevalent. I feel deep down that we, the ordinary fans, know so little about what really goes on at our clubs.

sahib
06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
By the board who makes the signings?

So the good signings were by the boards and the bad signings were Yogi's? I see. Still, what bloody idiot signed Yogi then?

vla_di_vla
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
:top marks

Well said Bob, whilst Yogi clearly had flaws I feel he has been overly scapegoated for his tenure. Fourth place and Europe wasn't a bad record, compared to the record of many Hibs managers of the past thirty years.

Rod should have kept quiet and showed a bit more dignity. Maybe now that the subject was raised he could elaborate on the role of the board in this unworkable legacy. Whilst he's at it he could also explain the appalling track record for managerial appointees during his own tenure as Chief Exec, maybe saying more on his own role in the players undermining of Collins or perhaps detailing why his research whilst appointing Calderwood seems to have once again let the club down?

Shame that football's code of Omerta is so prevalent. I feel deep down that we, the ordinary fans, know so little about what really goes on at our clubs.

Mibbes Aye
06-07-2011, 12:30 PM
What was Yogi's unworkable legacy?

Did he want the club to launch a range of branded inflatable dartboards, for going camping and the like?

Speedway
06-07-2011, 12:34 PM
So the good signings were by the boardsand the bad signings were Yogi's? I see. Still, what bloody idiot signed Yogi then?

Jocky Scott.

Did he want the club to launch a range of branded inflatable dartboards, for going camping and the like?

Velcro darts could be the answer to that being a summertime must have item.

sambajustice
06-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Car folk ken what's goan oan! :grr::grr:

I've just pished in my pants!!! :faf:

IWasThere2016
06-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Conversely, the WORST home record ever. More than a bad record. Which will have the profound and lasting impression in our history. Answer - his failings.

Rod should have kept quiet and showed a bit more dignity.

Conversely, Yogi could have shut up long ago. However, dignity and John Hughes were/are never going to be familiar with one another.

Cannae believe I am defending RP :greengrin

Northfield Hibby
06-07-2011, 01:10 PM

Excellently put.:agree:

People tend to forget that the managers before Yogi also left dross!

Collins era in particular, yet there are Hibbys on here that would love to see him back.

The Falcon
06-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Conversely, the WORST home record ever. More than a bad record. Which will have the profound and lasting impression in our history. Answer - his failings.

Conversely, Yogi could have shut up long ago. However, dignity and John Hughes were/are never going to be familiar with one another.

Cannae believe I am defending RP :greengrin

It must be the hot spell:greengrin

IberianHibernian
06-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Petrie`s comments about Yogi were what you`d expect of someone after too many drinks on a fan messageboard and certainly not what a club representative should be posting on the official site . A lot of the folk backing Petrie`s comments are those who had no time for Yogi even before he joined us . Any potential manager of Hibs would surely have big doubts about joining us after reading Petrie`s contribution especially knowing how many managers we`ve had in recent years . We must have the worst squad since Petrie arrived at ER so any deflection from talking about team will suit him .

Jimmy Belter
06-07-2011, 09:26 PM

So Failure is getting us 4th & a spot in Europe in his 1st season.

Highest place for the club in the last 6 years.

Brought in players like Stokes & Miller

Was moved on after i think 6 games,when a couple of wins and we would been back in top 5.

Top goal scorer sold (under his feet) a few days before the transfer window

Some players he brough in were not top drawn but most were short term loan deals.......(Till must of the dross there contract expired and were moved on)

Leaving the new manager with a chance to bring in all his own players (and not short term loan deals ) & a massive profit with the sale of Stokes, Fletcher & jones.................. & at least his style of football was played in the correct manner.

TrickyNicky
06-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Good as he shouldn't be second guessing HIS manager on football decisions :agree:

How does the process work between Rod and a manager in regards to signing players.

Does he open dialogue with his manager in regards to the potential signings, does he ask him any questions at all or does he just tell him how much money he has to spend and then hand that over to the respective parties ?

The Falcon
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Petrie`s comments about Yogi were what you`d expect of someone after too many drinks on a fan messageboard and certainly not what a club representative should be posting on the official site . A lot of the folk backing Petrie`s comments are those who had no time for Yogi even before he joined us . Any potential manager of Hibs would surely have big doubts about joining us after reading Petrie`s contribution especially knowing how many managers we`ve had in recent years . We must have the worst squad since Petrie arrived at ER so any deflection from talking about team will suit him .

What about Yogi's comments since he left? Never mind that what about some of Yogi's utterances when he was here?

Folk on this board pretty much welcomed Yogi but some of the stuff he came out with, and some of the stuff that came out of EM was unbelievable.

HibsMax
06-07-2011, 10:06 PM
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

BEEJ
06-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Petrie`s comments about Yogi were what you`d expect of someone after too many drinks on a fan messageboard and certainly not what a club representative should be posting on the official site.
They were certainly not of the usual Hibs corporate house-style which is invariably more measured and dignified on the PR front.

A lot of the folk backing Petrie`s comments are those who had no time for Yogi even before he joined us . Any potential manager of Hibs would surely have big doubts about joining us after reading Petrie`s contribution especially knowing how many managers we`ve had in recent years . We must have the worst squad since Petrie arrived at ER so any deflection from talking about team will suit him .
I think it's interesting that we can argue the backside off a topic on here almost until eternity, with neither side knowing the true position.

But then when the club comes out and makes an official statement which (unusually) casts a particular light over that subject, large numbers of us get a bit Puritan about it.

It's like we hate to have a particular topic of debate finally laid to rest. :greengrin

Jack
07-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Tactical, and in fact in every other way, plan A.

No plan B.

He wouldn't listen to anyone that plan A wasn't working.

Which is a shame because i'm sure there was more than me willing Yogi to succeed.

Iain G
07-07-2011, 12:53 AM

Was moved on after i think 6 games,when a couple of wins and we would been back in top 5.

Some players he brough in were not top drawn but most were short term loan deals.......(Till must of the dross there contract expired and were moved on)

Leaving the new manager with a chance to bring in all his own players (and not short term loan deals ) & a massive profit with the sale of Stokes, Fletcher & jones.................. & at least his style of football was played in the correct manner.

And yet despite all this brilliance he had got us to odds on favourites for relegation....

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
And yet despite all this brilliance he had got us to odds on favourites for relegation....

No he hadn't?

--------
07-07-2011, 11:55 AM

I wouldn't want Hughes back, Bob, but to suggest that the present problems at ER are all down to him is grossly inaccurate, as you say.

I'm not convinced that either Collins or Mixu or Hughes was the right choice at the time they were appointed. But I'm saying this with the benefit of hindsight; I could see good reasons for each of these appointments at the time. Just goes to show I'm not ever as clever as I think I am...

Whether any one of those three would have succeeded with better support from the board - and I'm not just talking about money here - is obviously a huge question. But I think that the question answers itself - they would have.

The sentence I've put in bold in bold sums up in a nutshell the way Hibs should be run - a medium-sized club with a potentially decent fan-base and a more than adequate infrastructure needs a bit of imaginative leadership. If we had what you describe there, we'd be the club we ought to be.

The younger players who played on Tuesday evening showed a lot of enthusiasm and no little talent. There is a future in the development of these players and others like them. Routine signings can, post-Bosman, provide a settled backbone to the team. But we need a competent manager who's committed to the club, and a board who once in a while will back that manager's judgement and go for someone a wee bit special.

The Falcon
07-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Whether any one of those three would have succeeded with better support from the board - and I'm not just talking about money here - is obviously a huge question. But I think that the question answers itself - they would have.

So what are you talking about if not money? Since you are so definite they would have been successful had the board supported them. All three.

Cropley10
07-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Great post Bob, :agree:

This is what we were told is/was the strategy, the plan, what we had to look forward to after ER was finished.

Some people think it's not hard to make a successful team - evidently it is, or it is appearing that way at Easter Road.

Jimmy Belter
08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Great post Bob, :agree:

This is what we were told is/was the strategy, the plan, what we had to look forward to after ER was finished.

Some people think it's not hard to make a successful team - evidently it is, or it is appearing that way at Easter Road.

Agree with both points above..,

It does take time to build your own squad and get your own ideas over, Is 3 season unrealistic....?

We have new managers comming in every season or so,with this going on then this is never going to happen.

We have produced some talented players over the years had a few good seasons out off them then moved them on for a profit which is fine, but if you are not going to compete with Hearts with paying the same wages to get better players then it will take time to mix hopefully some home grow talent with experiaced players brought in.

If you look outside Rangers, Celtic & Hearts then Dundee United have done well the last 3/4 years (thou they are in debt, they payed good wages too)but have had a managment team in place for over 4 seasons.

Why have we had a new manager every season ?

The chairman does not give much out to the press..............then when he does issues a club statement (it was embarrassing to read).

Looking back to JC time when it was reported that he ha a meeting with some players behind the managers back (shocking).

What is success at hibs?

greenlex
08-07-2011, 09:05 PM

It does take time to build your own squad and get your own ideas over, Is 3 season unrealistic....?

We have new managers comming in every season or so,with this going on then this is never going to happen.

We have produced some talented players over the years had a few good seasons out off them then moved them on for a profit which is fine, but if you are not going to compete with Hearts with paying the same wages to get better players then it will take time to mix hopefully some home grow talent with experiaced players brought in.
Does paying more in wages make the better players understand what you are getting across John?

Why have we had a new manager every season ? They have either been sacked because they are pish or they have been poached by bigger clubs

The chairman does not give much out to the press..............then when he does issues a club statement (it was embarrassing to read). I actually thought it was spot on and to the point and not embarrasing in the slightest.

Looking back to JC time when it was reported that he ha a meeting with some players behind the managers back (shocking). If the manager wont listen or engage in reciprical conversation listening to players gripes etc then as the next in line in the management stakes he really had no choice.

What is success at hibs? Tough one. Consistent top four/five with decent cup runs and all that that brings I guess but fans have unrealistic short term expectations for a club our size and turnover. IMO .

Bostonhibby
08-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Been lost in the translation I feel, I think it was his uninteligible liturgy that Rod was on about. You can hear it whenever he is passing comment on events at ER recently.

Litterachur folk Ken what I am on aboot :wink:

son of haggart
08-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm a bit bamboozled by the responses on this thread (maybe this is something to do with the quantity of Ringwood's 'Old Thumper' ale I have consumed)

Only a couple of posters have answered the question as to what the 'unworkable legacy' was. Legacy is something which follows on from your departure and surely what Petrie meant was therefore relating to something which soured the period after Hughes left rather than simply that he didn't manage well which led to the sacking.

That would suggest he was talking about a) player signings which left you with unshiftable dross or b) a malaise in the dressing room which left the position of the next manager very difficult or c0 a combination of the above.

I find it hard to believe it was the whole short term contracts everybody leaving at once thing as surely Petrie would have the call on that?

Phil D. Rolls
09-07-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm a bit bamboozled by the responses on this thread (maybe this is something to do with the quantity of Ringwood's 'Old Thumper' ale I have consumed)

Only a couple of posters have answered the question as to what the 'unworkable legacy' was. Legacy is something which follows on from your departure and surely what Petrie meant was therefore relating to something which soured the period after Hughes left rather than simply that he didn't manage well which led to the sacking.

That would suggest he was talking about a) player signings which left you with unshiftable dross or b) a malaise in the dressing room which left the position of the next manager very difficult or c0 a combination of the above.

I find it hard to believe it was the whole short term contracts everybody leaving at once thing as surely Petrie would have the call on that?

I think you are right. Yogi's time, from where I am sitting, seems to have been chaotic. You just have to think about the number of times he contradicted himself, to see that communication was not his strongest point.

If he was a mystery when he was talking to the fans and press, there is every chance he was the same with the players. Whether it was on discipline, tactics or contracts, I get the impression that he tried to be all things to all people.

He appeared to me to be a guy who loved to be popular. Unfortunately this is very hard to do and be a good manager. It seems to me his legacy was a confused, suspicious and demotivated football club.

I do think it is strange that a guy with so many contacts in the game has found it hard to get a job. It could be that it was well known in football circles that he was well out of his depth.

Arch Stanton
09-07-2011, 08:59 AM

Personally I think it was none of the above. In my view he left a group of players that did not have the ability to function as a team.

I reckon the term "unworkable legacy" is Rod's way of dismissing the notion that any new manager could have come in and start getting results - a view which also annoys me when it gets trumpeted on here.

Even if CC ends up leaving I can't think of anyone better to be rebuilding the squad. He clearly knows what he is doing and it is no surprise that he is so well regarded in the English game.

BEEJ
09-07-2011, 09:03 AM

:agree: Thanks for bringing the thread back on track.

All three issues that you've mentioned are factors in Yogi's legacy. For example, you have to ask why Booth (who was one of the few successes at Hibs in season 2010/11) had to be put out for a second stint on loan last year until the January 2011 transfer window. Jonathan Grounds at LB could hardly be seen as an inspiring interim arrangement.

And that leads neatly into Yogi's transfer dealings during the two windows of 2010 - 10 players brought in and 6 departing. Players arriving were:

Alan Gow
Mark Brown
Graeme Smith
Valdas Trakys
Jonathan Grounds
Francis Dickoh
Darryl Duffy
Michael Hart
David Stephens
Edwin de Graaf

Not a terrific roll-call when you think about it. Only four remain, one of whom is young and still learning and two who have yet to prove that they can now handle the game at SPL level.

I think you are right. Yogi's time, from where I am sitting, seems to have been chaotic. You just have to think about the number of times he contradicted himself, to see that communication was not his strongest point.

He appeared to me to be a guy who loved to be popular. Unfortunately this is very hard to do and be a good manager. It seems to me his legacy was a confused, suspicious and demotivated football club.
:agree: :top marks

Jimmy Belter
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
greenlex

http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/misc/quote_icon.png

Does paying more in wages make the better players understand what you are getting across John?

No idea what your talking about ? But yes better players can understand the game better.

Why have we had a new manager every season ? They have either been sacked because they are pish or they have been poached by bigger clubs.

Was Minux Piss ? Done great job at Killey ?

Was JC sacked or poached ?

The chairman does not give much out to the press..............then when he does issues a club statement (it was embarrassing to read). I actually thought it was spot on and to the point and not embarrasing in the slightest.

Ha you thought it was to the point. fair enough

CC had a great record at Forrest ? he was sacked.
the football under big colin is poor ? long ball.

His talk up his stats at Hibs etc...have been very very poor

So no club has permission to talk to CC(he is the hibs manager and staying here), then we here CC talking sounds like he can`t get away quick enough ?

Too slag own previous managers ?
When he`s the chairman it is very poor & i found it laughable..

Looking back to JC time when it was reported that he ha a meeting with some players behind the managers back (shocking). If the manager wont listen or engage in reciprical conversation listening to players gripes etc then as the next in line in the management stakes he really had no choice.

To be honest i do not know the facts, so what were the players gripes that they had to go behind the managers back, like the chairman ?
(no chairman sound be meeting players behind the managers back)

What is success at hibs? Tough one. Consistent top four/five with decent cup runs and all that that brings I guess but fans have unrealistic short term expectations for a club our size and turnover. IMO

So top 4 trill gets you the sack ?

The point if we had a manager in the door for 2,3 or 4 years then that would that be better for the club, statillty, time for the manager to put his mark on to things.

HibsMax
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Results under Yogi were awful. How much more time at the helm would you have given him based on that 4th-place finish? 1 year? 2 years? One decent finish is only going to take you so far but then you need to start delivering again.

The point if we had a manager in the door for 2,3 or 4 years then that would that be better for the club, statillty, time for the manager to put his mark on to things.
Agreed and that is where things get difficult. Do we have the stomach to keep a manager in position when results go against us? Do we allow him time to fail as well as succeed or do we punt ASAP? It's a tough call to make but I don't think there were any signs that things were going to get better with him in charge.

greenlex
09-07-2011, 05:03 PM

No top 4 probably let you keep your job for another month or so. If results/performances picked up you might still be there.
Results from around the last Feb of your tenure were terrible and included Hibs worst run ever. You fluked 4th place if you are being honest and thats the only reason you started the next season. I think the board probably owed you it. Hibs we going in the wrong direction with you in the managers seat and that is why you were dispensed with not for getting 4th place. Calderwood came in to do a root and branch revamp of team matters and IMO he has only just started that rebuild after getting rid of the legacy you and others left. I hope he stays to finish the job but if someone else has to do it then so be it.
Hopefully Calderwod will be here for three or four years but the problem is as with every successful Hibs manager or player for that matter they will be off to bigger and better things. Its our place in the order of things at the moment.

Andy74
09-07-2011, 05:17 PM
No top 4 probably let you keep your job for another month or so. If results/performances picked up you might still be there.
Results from around the last Feb of your tenure were terrible and included Hibs worst run ever. You fluked 4th place if you are being honest and thats the only reason you started the next season. I think the board probably owed you it. Hibs we going in the wrong direction with you in the managers seat and that is why you were dispensed with not for getting 4th place. Calderwood came in to do a root and branch revamp of team matters and IMO he has only just started that rebuild after getting rid of the legacy you and others left. I hope he stays to finish the job but if someone else has to do it then so be it.
Hopefully Calderwod will be here for three or four years but the problem is as with every successful Hibs manager or player for that matter they will be off to bigger and better things. Its our place in the order of things at the moment.

If we are really suggesting that having six months or so of excellent results and then three of bad ones should get a Hibs manager the sack then we will never achieve anything.

Though it's pretty clear it was a personality thing with Hughes as the amount of leeway people are giving CC after his run and the excuses he is being allowed is very telling.

HibsMax
09-07-2011, 05:24 PM
If we are really suggesting that having six months or so of excellent results and then three of bad ones should get a Hibs manager the sack then we will never achieve anything.

Though it's pretty clear it was a personality thing with Hughes as the amount of leeway people are giving CC after his run and the excuses he is being allowed is very telling.

I'm personally giving CC leeway because, bet you can finish my sentence for me.....

because he's not been afforded the same opportunities to build the squad as Yogi had - the rebuild is still in-progress. I've been pretty encouraged by his signings and if CS is the latest addition, I'll be happier still.

greenlex
09-07-2011, 05:25 PM

Not suggesting that is the only reason Andy. Was merely replying to the 4th place scenario. I could add his media skills his signings and performances even when winning could have, and probably did, contribute to his downfall. Add in his alleged man management skills or alleged bullying then the decision would have been all the easier, for want of a better term, to make. So yes his personality probably contributed and IMO rightly so.

stantonhibby
09-07-2011, 05:28 PM

absolute nonsense - so you are saying it was nothing to do with

the worst run of home results in our history
5-1 v St Johnstone
Ahead 3 times vs Ross Co and still going out
the 6-6 debacle
Riordan and Stokes both on the bench against Maribor
the big summer signings of De Graaf & Hart

at the end of the day he got sacked for the same reason most managers get sacked - results

BEEJ
09-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Think you'll find that from mid-February until he left that would be at least four months of bad results. :tsk tsk:

This barren period of Yogi's seems to get shorter every time someone mentions it!

:wink:

Andy74
09-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Think you'll find that from mid-February until he left that would be at least four months of bad results. :tsk tsk:

This barren period of Yogi's seems to get shorter every time someone mentions it!

:wink:
That was in reply to what was said about how he should have gone at the end of the season.

I find it amusing people are sticking to that and still supporting CC!

Kato
09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
absolute nonsense - so you are saying it was nothing to do with

the worst run of home results in our history
5-1 v St Johnstone
Ahead 3 times vs Ross Co and still going out
the 6-6 debacle
Riordan and Stokes both on the bench against Maribor
the big summer signings of De Graaf & Hart

at the end of the day he got sacked for the same reason most managers get sacked - results

You forgot to mention how much of a balloon he was.

Arch Stanton
09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
That was in reply to what was said about how he should have gone at the end of the season.

I find it amusing people are sticking to that and still supporting CC!

I wanted Hughes gone long before the end of the season - when it had become apparent to me that he was a buffoon.

The reason I want CC to stay is because it is apparent he knows what he is doing.

Now, if we do it your way and judge a manager solely on the basis of having had a successful run at any point during a 3-year tenure the your right, Hughes would still be in a job. In fact any incompetent would be guaranteed lifetime employment at Hibs, lets face it.

Andy74
09-07-2011, 07:32 PM
I wanted Hughes gone long before the end of the season - when it had become apparent to me that he was a buffoon.

The reason I want CC to stay is because it is apparent he knows what he is doing.

Now, if we do it your way and judge a manager solely on the basis of having had a successful run at any point during a 3-year tenure the your right, Hughes would still be in a job. In fact any incompetent would be guaranteed lifetime employment at Hibs, lets face it.
That wasnt the case though was it?

He got the job and took us on a six month superb run then three months of a terrible run.

People seemed to want him gone during the three month bad run.

CC had four months bad, one month good then another three months terrible.

I'm struggling to spot the bit where CC has been able to convince people he knows what he is doing. People who wanted the previous guy away after less than three months bad results. Which only followed six months of superb results.

It's not really rational. Other than people going out their way to find excuses for CC to attempt to show they were right over Hughes.

greenlex
09-07-2011, 07:42 PM

He got the job and took us on a six month superb run then three months of a terrible run.

I'm struggling to spot the bit where CC has been able to convince people he knows what he is doing. People who wanted the previous guy away after less than three months bad results. Which only followed six months of superb results.

It's not really rational. Other than people going out their way to find excuses for CC to attempt to show they were right over Hughes.

The rationale Andy is CC was working with the dross he inherited from JH.
He should be given time to mould his own team as we all know there was a lot of dross on the books. Hughes inherited some of it but signed a lot of it.
Calderwoods signings look like they can do a job. He also looks like he is giving some of the better youth players more of a chance than Hughes did.
Hughes was taking us nowhere.

Wheat Hound
09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Interesting to note according to the fishy site that Rod met Yogi through the week to "clear the air."

hibsbollah
09-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Not to mention a plum.

HibsMax
09-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm struggling to spot the bit where CC has been able to convince people he knows what he is doing.
His signings look decent. The players like him. The results in February. The results after February are very perplexing but there are ways that this can be explained....if you want to listen to them but many people don't because it's just excuses after all.

With respect to me, that's crap. I'm not going out of my way to find anything. I have no desire to prove anything about Yogi. He's history.

What's not really rational? Giving a guy an honest chance? I feel like we keep on going over the same ground again and again. CC's signings thusfar seem to have been pretty decent. He seems to be well on the road to rebuilding a better team (stage one complete, stage two in-progress). The players like him. Now obviously you don't think he deserves a chance. Fair enough. I do because we cannot keep going through managers at this rate and CC seems to be doing a decent job. "Based on what?", you may ask. On his signings. On the feedback coming out of the club from players. The fact that two Championship sides want his services (I know they want him as an assistant but even then, they obviously know something about the man and value whatever contribution he can make - unlike us).

Arch Stanton
09-07-2011, 07:58 PM

I'm assuming you meant to reply to some other post because none of this relates to what I said.

However, could you just tell me - how many months of bad results did that 4th spot buy Hughes in your book? Or are we talking years here?

How many competitions was he allowed to bomb out of?

And just where was he going to get another Stokes from to rescue him from his feeble attempts at building a team?

LeithBoozy
09-07-2011, 07:59 PM
You can also add that CC has not at any time during his bad run, tryed to convince us we were playing like Brazil and Holland. :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
09-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Interesting to note according to the fishy site that Rod met Yogi through the week to "clear the air."

Just read that.

I don't really know how Petrie can say that the statement he made with regards to Hughes' "unworkable legacy" was not intended as any criticism of him. :confused:

It was clearly a personal dig at John Hughes.

I thought that comment was unnecessary within the context of the statement that was made that day but if Petrie's going to say things like that, he should at least stand by them.

I actually won't defend Hughes as he did deserve to be sacked by the end of his time in charge but I didn't think there was any need for Petrie to say what he did.

matty_f
09-07-2011, 08:05 PM

Andy, IMHO the difference between CC and Yogi in terms of how long the fans have afforded them, is that Yogi had time and money to shape the squad and made a noel hunt of it. He persisted with poor players and while he was clear that he saw no future for some of them at Hibs (hence letting so many contracts run down), he did not appear to have an eye for the player that we thought he did.

Gow, Trakys, Smith, De Graaf, Hart, Cregg, Grounds were all flops. You could include Duffy as well, if you were being unkind as I think had he avoided injury he might had done something, but as it was he never really kicked a ball for us.

CC came in and started clearing out. Players who we could all see weren't good enough were given a chance, then moved on. CC's 6 signings stopped the rot and secured SPL status. None of the signings so far look out of place in the SPL.

We had a month off in March, which destroyed any momentum we had, and by the time we were back in action top 6 was an unlikely 'dream' and relegation a near impossibility. CC tried other options, less concerned with results than assessing and building the team.

CC has taken a methodical and careful approach with building the team. For all his faults through the last few weeks with how the situation around his future has been handled, I genuinely think he has what it takes to take this Hibernian team and build it to one that's capable of consistently competing.

I could never have had that confidence in Yogi.

Arch Stanton
09-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Just read that.

I don't really know how Petrie can say that the statement he made with regards to Hughes' "unworkable legacy" was not intended as any criticism of him. :confused:

It was clearly a personal dig at John Hughes.

I thought that comment was unnecessary within the context of the statement that was made that day but if Petrie's going to say things like that, he should at least stand by them.

I actually won't defend Hughes as he did deserve to be sacked by the end of his time in charge but I didn't think there was any need for Petrie to say what he did.

RP thought a lot of Hughes and backed him to the hilt for as long as he could - in that sense it is as much RP's legacy - no real point in either of them continuing to chuck bricks over the wall.

Bostonhibby
09-07-2011, 09:18 PM
The rationale Andy is CC was working with the dross he inherited from JH.
He should be given time to mould his own team as we all know there was a lot of dross on the books. Hughes inherited some of it but signed a lot of it.
Calderwoods signings look like they can do a job. He also looks like he is giving some of the better youth players more of a chance than Hughes did.
Hughes was taking us nowhere.

Kaiser1962
09-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Your persistence in defence of Yogi is truly admirable. I'm not sure he deserves it but more power to you.

Hiber-nation
09-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Funny I just had a thought that Yogi Hughes could come back and be a good manager for Hibs.

Let's face it. That's what we're all thinking.

Really? I've yet to meet a Hibs fan who thinks that.

BEEJ
09-07-2011, 11:32 PM

I can understand why people would criticise CC for his tenure as manager at ER. With a record like his he's open season to receive pelters for all kinds of reasons.

What I will never understand is the inclination of a few persistently to link CC's time with that of Hughes who preceded him - as if the fact that CC has been poor somehow means we should have stuck with Yogi for another couple of seasons, whatever the outcome. Or that somehow the only reason Hughes was sacked was an ingrained bias and hatred against him from the majority of the Hibs support. :confused: Just bizarre!

Ten months on it smacks of a somewhat sick obsession with the man.

Jimmy Belter
10-07-2011, 07:11 PM

I find your comments funny

To come on to a football forum and call a respected manager in the game a buffoon
only shows yourself up.

On your 2nd point on CC apparently knows what he`s doing ? On what evidence ?

Do not even understand your 3rd point ?
It not about a good run in 3 seasons, it`s about giving a manager, any manager time to build his own squad & team (this takes time)

Have we had 5 managers in 6 seasons & only in the top 4th once in 6 seasons.

Arch Stanton
10-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I find your comments funny

To come on to a football forum and call a respected manager in the game a buffoon
only shows yourself up.

Now, that's what I call funny!!

On your 2nd point on CC apparently knows what he`s doing ? On what evidence ?

On how he took the time to evaluate the squad rather than just field the safest looking starting eleven and only focus on short term results.

On who subsequently was let go and who was brought in to the squad - especially over the New Year when not much is available.

On his tactical ability and team selection and use of subs.

Do not even understand your 3rd point ?
It not about a good run in 3 seasons, it`s about giving a manager, any manager time to build his own squad & team (this takes time)

Have we had 5 managers in 6 seasons & only in the top 4th once in 6 seasons.

Which is my point - it can't just be about giving a manager time (and the 3 seasons has been mentioned on here as a reasonable time frame).

In the extreme case, a rubbish manager can take a club down three divisions in 3 seasons. In my view, time is all very well but if a manager comes close to getting us relegated then it is time to call a halt.

And while RP has obviously been poor at picking managers that is still no reason for sticking with a duff one.

And I've already asked this question, and perhaps you can answer it, just how many months of bad results did Hughes 4th spot buy him?

Bostonhibby
10-07-2011, 07:53 PM

:greengrin Right up there with the Montgolfiers recently. He has been that good

PaulSmith
11-07-2011, 04:00 AM
I wonder why Hughes was forced to sign a confidentially clause?

The Falcon
11-07-2011, 07:18 AM

Was he? "Forced" that is. Makes it sound like something he was unwilling to do but had to. I have a "confidentiality" clause in my contract as well but I wasnt forced to sign anything.

Yogi's must be pretty limited given the amount of mouthing off he's been doing.

sahib
11-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Was he? "Forced" that is. Makes it sound like something he was unwilling to do but had to. I have a "confidentiality" clause in my contract as well but I wasnt forced to sign anything.

Would you have got the job if you had not signed it?

The Falcon
11-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Would you have got the job if you had not signed it?

No I wouldnt. But it was my choice to sign it. I knew what I was doing and the information I would be working with. But nobody "forced" me to do anything.

Kaiser1962
11-07-2011, 07:52 AM

I dont think its only Hibs that do this Paul. Its normal practice as far as I know. And as the other guy pointed out I would be surprised if he was forced to do anything. He is an adult.

spike220
11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Yogi's unworkable legacy was simply the fact he was sacked. It was unworkable for him from that point forward :agree: and it was legacy in that he wasnt going to be reinstated.:agree:

Put this all together and you get: Yogi's unworkable legacy.:greengrin

Jack
11-07-2011, 08:57 AM
There is little doubt in my mind that if Yogi had still been at the helm it would have been us that swapped places with Dunfermline. The only reason I was certain we wouldn’t be relegated was that I knew the Club would see the same abyss and act before it was too late.

You make your own luck in football and we certainly made enough in Yogis early run, only 2 defeats in the first 16 games but from then on we were relegation form; 22 points from following 22 games in the remainder of that season. The early part of the this season was worse; 5 points from 6 games continued that rot and was demonstration that that change was needed. There was absolutely no evidence to suggest that form was going to change.

Don’t even mention cup runs!

sahib
11-07-2011, 12:05 PM
No I wouldnt. But it was my choice to sign it. I knew what I was doing and the information I would be working with. But nobody "forced" me to do anything.

Yeah right.

Speedway
11-07-2011, 12:35 PM

No, brought in Stokes and got a phone call from Miller offering himself. No players 'like' Stokes and Miller followed in his time at the club.

After dressing room fights, pre season friendly fights and oh yeah, training ground fights.

With his approval and sanction.

Nope, Cregg, McBride, Dickoh, EDG, Hart, Smith, Trakys et al were not loan deals.

Again, prior to his sacking I saw the worst football from a Hibs side since Duffy.

When it takes a Yam (and I mean that in the spirit of love & friendship and intense and bitter hatred and rivalry) to be the voice of reason and analyse the statement properly, you can see what an agenda the posters of this site now have.

One made you feel like he has the answers, the other made you feel like getting rid of him was the answer.

Not to mention a plum.

or a trumpet.

The Falcon
11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah right.

Yes, actually it is right. I could have easily said this is unacceptable so therefore the jobs not for me so I signed it and fully intend to honour it.

Do you think no other club operates these clauses? Get real.

BEEJ
11-07-2011, 03:10 PM

I do too; and most football managers will have in their contracts a standard clause to that effect.

But I believe that the non-disclosure contract agreement that is drawn up between a club and manager when there is a premature parting of the ways is a different animal altogether, much more detailed and robust.

As for Yogi blithely ignoring it, what else would you expect? :greengrin

Baker9
11-07-2011, 03:51 PM

:top marks Spot on. When I first read RP's statement I though I'd wandered on to Kickback and caught another of Vlad's drunken rants. I wonder just what the club's reputation is amongst players and managers at other clubs and does that matter?

Speedway
11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Vlad's drunken rants don't seem to hurt their final league position do they?

IWasThere2016
11-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Well said Speeders, and Jack :agree: