PDA

View Full Version : Deeko to China

SteveHFC
05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3679263/Chinese-and-a-pint-for-fed-up-Riordan.html

IT'S a long way to go for a pint.

Derek Riordan is prepared to travel 12,000 miles just to have a quiet beer.
The freed Hibs star has a reputation which goes before him in his home town of Edinburgh.
It's reached the stage that there's virtually nowhere the 28-year-old can go in the capital for a drink.
Riordan feels targeted and picked on when he's done nothing wrong.
That's why he's considering a life-changing move to the other side of the world.
Chinese outfit Shaanxi Chanba are ready to pay him a staggering £30,000-a-week to pull up his roots and quit Scotland.
Riordan said: "I think I do need to get out of Edinburgh.
"It's difficult for me there just to go out for a quite drink. I always gets hassled from people.
"Being a Hibs fan I get Hearts fans coming up to me.
"Coming from Edinburgh doesn't help. It's probably the same for Celtic and Rangers players when they go out in Glasgow, they probably get it hard. But for me I'm not allowed in nightclubs, basically.
"You still try and go into pubs or bars but they just give you an excuse and knock you back. There isn't anything you can do - and then I get the blame for it.
"I'm 28 and, like anybody at my age, I'd like to go out for a pint now and again.
"Whether you play football or do any other job, sometimes you want to go out at night for a few drinks.
"At the end of the day there are players who do a lot worse than me and don't get recognised for it.
"That's part of my thinking with this move. It would be great to go somewhere no one knows me.
"I could maybe then go out in the town or city and do what I want.
"Edinburgh is just a wee place - everybody knows everybody's business. This is something a bit different but I'm going to go out and have a look.
"I'm not looking forward to the journey to be honest, but I want to see what it's like.
"Maybe it will be hard in China, I don't know.
"I'll see what it's like over there but I just want to go somewhere and concentrate on my football.
"I can only try it and see what it's like.
"I had the chance to go to Moscow a few years ago and never did it. I chose Celtic. Now I have another chance to see somewhere else."
It's hard to imagine a lad like Riordan coping with life in China but this is where he's at.
Clubs in Scotland or England aren't lining up to make him an offer. He's a player with all the talent in the world but he'll forever be regarded as someone who should have done more with it.

He got his big move to Celtic in 2006 - but quickly fell out with Gordon Strachan and was ordered to train with the stiffs. Before he knew it he was back at Hibs. Riordan has scored goals throughout his career but he still stands accused of playing within himself.
He added: "Everyone thinks differently.
"People think I'm lazy but if you are scoring goals and you are creating quite a lot for your team-mates then I don't see what the problem is."
Riordan now has a decision to make. Jetting off to China yesterday, he's clearly willing to push the boundaries and see what the world has to offer.
He added: "It was hard leaving but in my mind I needed to go when my contract ran down.
"I've had enough of the SPL. It was an easy decision when you've become bored playing the same teams week in, week out."
It's that familiarity which could see Hibees boss Colin Calderwood quit Easter Road and return south to English football.
He's already refused to commit his future to the club - with Riordan insisting it'll be a huge blow if they lose him.
He insisted: "If he goes I think it'll be as big loss for Hibs.
"He's a brilliant guy and a brilliant manager."

silverhibee
05-07-2011, 11:44 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3679263/Chinese-and-a-pint-for-fed-up-Riordan.html

The freed Hibs star has a reputation which goes before him in his home town of Edinburgh.
It's reached the stage that there's virtually nowhere the 28-year-old can go in the capital for a drink.
That's why he's considering a life-changing move to the other side of the world.
Chinese outfit Shaanxi Chanba are ready to pay him a staggering £30,000-a-week to pull up his roots and quit Scotland.
"It's difficult for me there just to go out for a quite drink. I always gets hassled from people.
"Coming from Edinburgh doesn't help. It's probably the same for Celtic and Rangers players when they go out in Glasgow, they probably get it hard. But for me I'm not allowed in nightclubs, basically.
"You still try and go into pubs or bars but they just give you an excuse and knock you back. There isn't anything you can do - and then I get the blame for it.
"I'm 28 and, like anybody at my age, I'd like to go out for a pint now and again.
"Whether you play football or do any other job, sometimes you want to go out at night for a few drinks.
"At the end of the day there are players who do a lot worse than me and don't get recognised for it.
"That's part of my thinking with this move. It would be great to go somewhere no one knows me.
"Edinburgh is just a wee place - everybody knows everybody's business. This is something a bit different but I'm going to go out and have a look.
"I'm not looking forward to the journey to be honest, but I want to see what it's like.
"I'll see what it's like over there but I just want to go somewhere and concentrate on my football.
"I had the chance to go to Moscow a few years ago and never did it. I chose Celtic. Now I have another chance to see somewhere else."
It's hard to imagine a lad like Riordan coping with life in China but this is where he's at.
Clubs in Scotland or England aren't lining up to make him an offer. He's a player with all the talent in the world but he'll forever be regarded as someone who should have done more with it.

He got his big move to Celtic in 2006 - but quickly fell out with Gordon Strachan and was ordered to train with the stiffs. Before he knew it he was back at Hibs. Riordan has scored goals throughout his career but he still stands accused of playing within himself.
"People think I'm lazy but if you are scoring goals and you are creating quite a lot for your team-mates then I don't see what the problem is."
Riordan now has a decision to make. Jetting off to China yesterday, he's clearly willing to push the boundaries and see what the world has to offer.
He added: "It was hard leaving but in my mind I needed to go when my contract ran down.
"I've had enough of the SPL. It was an easy decision when you've become bored playing the same teams week in, week out."
It's that familiarity which could see Hibees boss Colin Calderwood quit Easter Road and return south to English football.
He's already refused to commit his future to the club - with Riordan insisting it'll be a huge blow if they lose him.

Thats a lot of money.

basehibby
06-07-2011, 12:30 AM

It's true Deeks gets it unfairly tight from bouncers etc - only the other day I heard a bar doorman talking to his mate about how he'd seen Deeks walking past and had wished he'd tried to get in just so's he could knock him back!!!

NB - predictably they were both Yams so presumably child molesters would have been welcomed with open arms!

Interesting to note Deeks' high words of praise for Calderwood by the way.

Removed
06-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Interesting to note Deeks' high words of praise for Calderwood by the way.

I noticed that as well. Extremely sensible to keep your options open for Forest or Brum should the Chinese deal fall through :wink:

silverhibee
06-07-2011, 12:40 AM
I noticed that as well. Extremely sensible to keep your options open for Forest or Brum should the Chinese deal fall through :wink:

:greengrin

cocteautwin
06-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Hope you come to China Deeks. I'll have to follow Shaanxi if you do sign for them. Not sure you'll find a decent pint in Xi'an though there are a few bars and if you're not married you'll rack up a basketball score of women :-)

Didn't Darren Jackson spend a few weeks playing in China and left because of the food?

I would have thought Beijing Guoan would be your team though - play in Green also and a couple of years ago they had white sleeves just like Hibs.

Good luck if you sign up!

HibeeMG
06-07-2011, 06:10 AM

"I'll see what it's like over there but I just want to go somewhere and concentrate on my football."

So which is it?

Is he going over so he can get into clubs or is he going over for the football?

I've got to say I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. I'm sure he could do a lot with the 30k a week.

Sodje_18
06-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Good luck to Deeko, feel sorry for his undeserved reputation. If I had the chance to move to China and get 30 grand a week I would jump at the offer :agree:

iwasthere1972
06-07-2011, 01:46 PM
£30K a week. Are they totally mad?

Wait until they discover that when he arrives he ain't Deco from Brazil but just plain Deeko from Edinburgh

KeithTheHibby
06-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Silly money but how can anyone turn it down. Modric is on 35k a week at Spurs, kinda puts it into context.

Wonder how much big Nishy was getting offered when he had the chance to go there??

Sodje_18
06-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Silly money but how can anyone turn it down. Modric is on 35k a week at Spurs, kinda puts it into context.

Wonder how much big Nishy was getting offered when he had the chance to go there??
10 grand a week IIRC.

snooky
06-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Good luck to Deeko, feel sorry for his undeserved reputation. If I had the chance to move to China and get 30 grand a week I would jump at the offer :agree:

Aye, you're too right .....:agree:

......and Deek, mind and pack a copy of the "Wee Red Book" :wink:

Jamesie
06-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Hope you come to China Deeks. I'll have to follow Shaanxi if you do sign for them. Not sure you'll find a decent pint in Xi'an though there are a few bars and if you're not married you'll rack up a basketball score of women :-)

Didn't Darren Jackson spend a few weeks playing in China and left because of the food?

I would have thought Beijing Guoan would be your team though - play in Green also and a couple of years ago they had white sleeves just like Hibs.

Good luck if you sign up!

Would recommend the Park Qin just inside the city walls - was three three weeks ago and had a great night :aok:

Jonnyboy
06-07-2011, 08:32 PM

Typical Sun with their spelling mistakes :greengrin

madabouthibs
06-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I read that (someone else's paper) and it sounds like he's more bothered about a pint at the weekend than his football career! :confused:
I remember Sproule used to just pop into the Volly for a "quiet" pint, his local.
Why can't Deeks just pop into his local too?

Jonnyboy
06-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I read that (someone else's paper) and it sounds like he's more bothered about a pint at the weekend than his football career! :confused:
I remember Sproule used to just pop into the Volly for a "quiet" pint, his local.
Why can't Deeks just pop into his local too?

Just the slant (no pun intended) the journo put on it

monktonharp
06-07-2011, 11:20 PM
It's true Deeks gets it unfairly tight from bouncers etc - only the other day I heard a bar doorman talking to his mate about how he'd seen Deeks walking past and had wished he'd tried to get in just so's he could knock him back!!!

NB - predictably they were both Yams so presumably child molesters would have been welcomed with open arms!

Interesting to note Deeks' high words of praise for Calderwood by the way.name that bar name that bouncer name the barsteward!:grr:

monktonharp
06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
So which is it?

Is he going over so he can get into clubs or is he going over for the football?

I've got to say I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. I'm sure he could do a lot with the 30k a week.of course he's only going to get into clubs,he disnae even like fitba' ya fud. the 30k disnae come intae it, despite the fact that him an' his wummin hi's a bairn. he'll be oot oan the pish maist nights and never score a goal.:rolleyes:

Iain G
07-07-2011, 01:04 AM
I do think Aussie or NZ would be best moves for him if he wants to try something different, speaks the lingo and the football would suit him and there are many many bars :-)