PDA

View Full Version : Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri to Man City

SteveHFC
03-07-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2010893/Manchester-City-set-finalise-27m-deal-Arsenal-duo-Samir-Nasri-Gael-Clichy.html

MountcastleHibs
03-07-2011, 11:12 PM
And with Fabregas looking increasingly like he's off, it's not looking good for any Arsenal chances of ending that hoodoo. Fantastic.

hfc rd
03-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Personally I just think both Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri are getting fed up at Arsenal's lack of silverware and rightly so that the both of them want to leave and it won't suprise if Cesc Fabregas joins them on heading towards the exit door. 7-8 years it has been since they last won a piece of silverware. Last season is a prime example of what you might call "Typical Gooners". They were pushing Manchester United all the way for the title but once again bottled it and started fading away and when they looked like finishing 1st/2nd, they ended up 4th and will now have to play a qualifier to get to the Champions League group stages. Another is the Carling Cup final. I certainly didn't think Birmingham were going to win this final and I really thought that Arsenal will going to end their trophy drought but I was to be proved wrong. Yes Arsenal didn't take their chances and Birmingham took advantage of that by scoring a late winner as once again that Arsenal defence showed how poor it can be and once again the search goes on for Arsenal's first piece of silverware in almost 7-8 years.

I just really can't see this Arsenal team finishing in the top 4 next season as Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool (under Dalgleish and if they manage to sign a few more players as they haven't really replced Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano) look much better.

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Arsenal will probably replace then with lesser players like they have for years and end up having 20m and a worse team.

They lost Cole and replaced him with a worse player in Clichy and will do the same again with Gibbs. I assume Ramsey will replace Fabregas when he eventualy leaves aswell and again they will be replacing World class with great potential which is not really woking for them right now.

Nasri can GTF though money grabbing bassa.

Sodje_18
03-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Personally I just think both Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri are getting fed up at Arsenal's lack of silverware and rightly so that the both of them want to leave and it won't suprise if Cesc Fabregas joins them on heading towards the exit door. 7-8 years it has been since they last won a piece of silverware. Last season is a prime example of what you might call "Typical Gooners". They were pushing Manchester United all the way for the title but once again bottled it and started fading away and when they looked like finishing 1st/2nd, they ended up 4th and will now have to play a qualifier to get to the Champions League group stages. Another is the Carling Cup final. I certainly didn't think Birmingham were going to win this final and I really thought that Arsenal will going to end their trophy drought but I was to be proved wrong. Yes Arsenal didn't take their chances and Birmingham took advantage of that by scoring a late winner as once again that Arsenal defence showed how poor it can be and once again the search goes on for Arsenal's first piece of silverware in almost 7-8 years.

I just really can't see this Arsenal team finishing in the top 4 next season as Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool (under Dalgleish and if they manage to sign a few more players as they haven't really replced Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano) look much better.
Been 6 years, they won the FA cup in 2005. Samir Nasri had a good half season and now everybody all of a sudden thinks he's god like, easily replaced IMO. Clichy on the other hand, very good player they've let go, they'll have to spend to replace, Baines possibly? Because Gibbs just isn't good enough.

hfc rd
04-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Been 6 years, they won the FA cup in 2005. Samir Nasri had a good half season and now everybody all of a sudden thinks he's god like, easily replaced IMO. Clichy on the other hand, very good player they've let go, they'll have to spend to replace, Baines possibly? Because Gibbs just isn't good enough.

Who will you replace him with? De Rossi? Sneijder? Neymar? Hazard? These guys are all quality players. I just can't see Arsenal going out and signing any of those quality players? Simply because they don't look like a team that can win trophies on a consistent basis and that is what those type of players want to do. Not play sexy football and keep the trophy room quiet. Most players want to win trophies in their footballing careers and either Man Utd or Chelsea or Man City look like teams in England that can do that. Man Utd, Chelsea (as they always and consistently challenge every year for the EPL and look likely of winning trophies because unlike Arsenal they don't bottle it on the big occassions) and Man City (simply by the mega money that the owner Khalddon Al-Mubarack is pumping into the club and they look like a team that are going to be challenging for trophies. Whenever they want to sign a player, they know money is not going to be a problem).

Dashing Bob S
04-07-2011, 01:27 AM

You missed out Spurs. Once again, they'll be stronger than Liverpool who won't finish top four.

hfc rd
04-07-2011, 01:38 AM
You missed out Spurs. Once again, they'll be stronger than Liverpool who won't finish top four.

Yeah Spurs will be strong but the big question about Spurs is can they hold on to their best players? Luka Modric and Gareth Bale have been linked with moves elsewhere and with Spurs having missed out on a CL place. A move to a CL team would probabaly interest the both them as I am sure a CL team would definitely be interested in taking these two players as they are quality.

Also Spurs need a new no.1 GK badly. The amount of points Gomes cost Spurs last season is just ridiculous. His mistakes in big games were just as bad as Zibby's. The guy is simply pish.

IWasThere2016
04-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Arsenal will probably replace then with lesser players like they have for years

Thankfully, RP will never do that with us :agree:

Postman
04-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Also Spurs need a new no.1 GK badly. The amount of points Gomes cost Spurs last season is just ridiculous. His mistakes in big games were just as bad as Zibby's. The guy is simply pish.[/QUOTE]

They signed Brad Friedel

Hakim Sar
04-07-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm an arsenal fan, and I'm quite happy to take some cash for clichy. Arsenal concede against the counter attack in bigger games and his defensive frailties are part of the root cause of this. Vermaelen could actually replace him and be a lot tougher and more responsible as a left back. That would be dependent on the signing of samba/cahill. A back four of sagna, Cahill, samba, Vermaelen looks for more productive than one including liabilities such as clichy koscielny and djourou.

Nasri has only recently really started to show how productive he can be. Would be a shame to see him go as I'm not sure Alvarez is any good. It's replacing world class with potential which has been folly the last couple of years.

Looks like Juan Mata is on the radar, although ambitious, he would suitably replace any departures.

easty
04-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm an arsenal fan, and I'm quite happy to take some cash for clichy. Arsenal concede against the counter attack in bigger games and his defensive frailties are part of the root cause of this. Vermaelen could actually replace him and be a lot tougher and more responsible as a left back. That would be dependent on the signing of samba/cahill. A back four of sagna, Cahill, samba, Vermaelen looks for more productive than one including liabilities such as clichy koscielny and djourou.

Nasri has only recently really started to show how productive he can be. Would be a shame to see him go as I'm not sure Alvarez is any good. It's replacing world class with potential which has been folly the last couple of years.

Looks like Juan Mata is on the radar, although ambitious, he would suitably replace any departures.

You'd move Arsenals best central defender to left back (and for me one of the best central defenders in the EPL)? And then sign 2 central defenders from elsewhere in the EPL....why? Because he can play there on Football Manager?

heretoday
04-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Arsenal should get rid of Wenger.

God knows how he's manageed to hang around so long. Hypnotism probably.

sambajustice
04-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Wenger isnt daft, he'll move on players he doesnt want or can get way over market value for. Adebayor, no one wants him now. Toure, not exactly set the heather alight. Years ago, sold Anelka for £22m then bought Henry for £10m.

Wenger knows what he's doing in terms of releasing players, only trouble is he needs to start buying a few decent players now!!

hibs4eve
04-07-2011, 09:57 AM
It's not looking good for them a replacement is this guy http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Arsenal-target-Wolves-striker-Kevin-Doyle-for-a-12million-move-to-the-Emirates-article755880.html

easty
04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
It's not looking good for them a replacement is this guy http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Arsenal-target-Wolves-striker-Kevin-Doyle-for-a-12million-move-to-the-Emirates-article755880.html

Rip off. That's almost as bad as Liverpool looking to sign Stewart Downing for £20m!

J-C
04-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Nasri has stated his preference to Man U, wages wouldn't be a problem there, depends if Arsenal want too much money and go for Man C's bid, if Nasri aint happy going to Man C then he could hold out for another year and go to Man U for nothing, not good business for Arsenal.

Fergus52
04-07-2011, 11:03 AM
You'd move Arsenals best central defender to left back (and for me one of the best central defenders in the EPL)? And then sign 2 central defenders from elsewhere in the EPL....why? Because he can play there on Football Manager?

He has played at left-back for belgium and often played there for ajax, however he is more effective at centre-back

H18sry
04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I hope all that these players that are signing for City, take cushions with them as with the size that there squad is going to be, there will be a lot of time spent sitting on the bench or in the stand's.

Sodje_18
04-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Who will you replace him with? De Rossi? Sneijder? Neymar? Hazard? These guys are all quality players. I just can't see Arsenal going out and signing any of those quality players? Simply because they don't look like a team that can win trophies on a consistent basis and that is what those type of players want to do. Not play sexy football and keep the trophy room quiet. Most players want to win trophies in their footballing careers and either Man Utd or Chelsea or Man City look like teams in England that can do that. Man Utd, Chelsea (as they always and consistently challenge every year for the EPL and look likely of winning trophies because unlike Arsenal they don't bottle it on the big occassions) and Man City (simply by the mega money that the owner Khalddon Al-Mubarack is pumping into the club and they look like a team that are going to be challenging for trophies. Whenever they want to sign a player, they know money is not going to be a problem).
By no means an Arsenal supporter, don't see the point in supporting an English team. Wenger will do his usual and buy some youngsters to replace them. I'm simply stating they will miss Clichy but I don't think Nasri is a huge loss given the players they already have in that position, Cesc leaving is their real worry.

Sodje_18
04-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Wenger isnt daft, he'll move on players he doesnt want or can get way over market value for. Adebayor, no one wants him now. Toure, not exactly set the heather alight. Years ago, sold Anelka for £22m then bought Henry for £10m.

Wenger knows what he's doing in terms of releasing players, only trouble is he needs to start buying a few decent players now!!
:top marks
I've always thought wenger was brilliant at judging a players ability, he know if they've just had a good season or if they are losing it, Spot on!

aberhibsfc
04-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Agree, but think he's been caught with his pants down regards Clichy and Nasri.

I thought Fab would have been away last summer but Arsenal resisted and Barcelona had publicised financial contraints meaning they couldn't make a irresistible offer. Not sure they will pile on the pesetas this year either, even though they'll have more than most and the board seem to have got behind Pep's helmanship for a further season. Arsenal are in a mighty quandry over Fab, he will not sign a new deal at the Emirates if there is the slightest possibility he'll get his move to the Noucamp. Doubt he's leave Arsenal for many clubs but his love for Barcelona will override any Arsenal loyalty. It'll be interesting to see how well Barca, Arsenal and Fab conduct this hot brick over the summer.

Clichy, as someone else pointed out was the poor man of Clichy/Cole, however despite his defensive frailities at the top of the football table, he has blossomed into one of the finest left wing backs in the game. Arsenal have mucked up regards his contractual situation.

Nasri was more accomplished than the usual players with 'potential' that Wenger has signed in recent seasons. He was a stand out in France and was destined to do well, in fact a level which would compliment and in some aspects in attack, dribbling, a midfield rival for Fabregas. He has continued to develop at the Emirates but his injury and fleeting appearances has made this a season to forget. I think he's seeing the pound signs before all else, if it was purely football I am not sure Man City would be the perfect move certainly the most profitable. Nasri smacks of someone about to bite the hand that feeds him and may employ tactics such as our KT to get his way, if he starts writing a column in the DR then he'll definately be away.

If these moves come to pass, Fab running down contract, Clichy contract run down and Nasri kicking up a stink, you can bet your bottom dollar that Van Persie will begin one of his 'Arsenal not matching his ambitions' also, Henry done this too and Van Persie hammered Arsenal for selling him then not replacing. I understand that the Arshavin deal was to placate this.

Unfortunately Wenger has spent so much time un-earthing potential and developing them he has forgotten about his 1st team. They have not improved when they should, they have a barrell load of players which should really be moved on to free space and funds for good experienced players to come in. I think this is going to be one of his hardest periods as an Arsenal manager and it's the closed season!

The Arsenal owners are now going to have to make funds available and if they have and Arsene isn't using them, questions have to be asked.

It must be quite depressing when their fans pay some of the highest season tickets prices in the EPL and the money isn't being spent to improve the 1st team. Especially maddening when the recent ex-board members waltzed away with 1/2 billion in profit by selling their stakes.

I can't comprehend why the owners at Man Utd and Arsenal make such a big deal trading millions to to acquire sizable shares in their clubs to then stop dead. I appreciate you can't go mad like Man City have, they have the money to burn or so it seems, but they should surely be investing in their asset to make it more commercially viable as a product and hopefully more successful as a club.

Hibs90
04-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Clichy has been pish for a while, even going forward. Losing Nasri is a big mistake though. Just wish Wenger would start spending since he apparently does have 'money availible'. :agree:

easty
04-07-2011, 01:04 PM
I can't comprehend why the owners at Man Utd and Arsenal make such a big deal trading millions to to acquire sizable shares in their clubs to then stop dead. I appreciate you can't go mad like Man City have, they have the money to burn or so it seems, but they should surely be investing in their asset to make it more commercially viable as a product and hopefully more successful as a club.

Man Utd? Are you sure, as the last time I looked they'd spent almost £40m this summer already...:confused:

Hakim Sar
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Bit of a strange reply. What's football manager got to do with it? Vermaelen has played left back a lot with Belgium.

easty
04-07-2011, 01:22 PM

:top marks
I've always thought wenger was brilliant at judging a players ability, he know if they've just had a good season or if they are losing it, Spot on!

It's easy to pick out individual transfers and say he's brilliant. What about Franny Jeffers, what about Richard Wright? Eduardo, Reyes, Koscielny, Arshavin....value for money? What about the goalkeepers he's picked?

How about the fact he sold Thierry Henry for around

easty
04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Bit of a strange reply. What's football manager got to do with it? Vermaelen has played left back a lot with Belgium.

Strange how? You'd advocate moving one of the best central defenders in the league to left-back, and then signing two more central defenders from the same league who aren't as good?

And clearly I wasn't being serious about Football Manager

lapsedhibee
04-07-2011, 01:26 PM
It's easy to pick out individual transfers and say he's brilliant. What about Franny Jeffers, what about Richard Wright? Eduardo, Reyes, Koscielny, Arshavin....value for money? What about the goalkeepers he's picked?

Arshavin's been complete pish lately (since about the time he helped in the Russia bid for WorldCup/Olympics/whatever), but before that he was very good indeed. Did you not see his four goals at Liverpuddle? :dunno:

easty
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Arshavin's been complete pish lately (since about the time he helped in the Russia bid for WorldCup/Olympics/whatever), but before that he was very good indeed. Did you not see his four goals at Liverpuddle? :dunno:

One swallow doesnt make a summer.....and against Liverpool, they're mince, that's about as much of an acheivement as beating Kevin Kyle in a beauty pageant.

Hakim Sar
04-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Strange how? You'd advocate moving one of the best central defenders in the league to left-back, and then signing two more central defenders from the same league who aren't as good?

And clearly I wasn't being serious about Football Manager

'could' move vermaelen. It's a credit to the boy that he's also brilliant in midfield. Gibbs might not be ready to give a full seasons worth yet and this is an idea to support him.

lapsedhibee
04-07-2011, 01:36 PM
One swallow doesnt make a summer.....and against Liverpool, they're mince, that's about as much of an acheivement as beating Kevin Kyle in a beauty pageant.

Just an example. Arshavin was class before this last season. Would quite like to know whether anything's happened to him, because he barely looks like a footballer at all now. Think Liverpool were top four at the time, but could be wrong.

Wotherspiniesta
04-07-2011, 02:09 PM

£12m for Kevin Doyle?

Some of the prices clubs are paying for average players is scary. £20m for Henderson? £18m for Jones? Scary.

hibee92
04-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Clichy official.

bod
04-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I hope all that these players that are signing for City, take cushions with them as with the size that there squad is going to be, there will be a lot of time spent sitting on the bench or in the stand's.

25 in their squad just like the other teams in the league they play in.
dont think there's a squad limit in the other 2 cups or the other league their in though

3pm
04-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Clichy official.

Shows you how crackers football has become. Ruined by cash.

hfc rd
04-07-2011, 08:30 PM
25 in their squad just like the other teams in the league they play in.
dont think there's a squad limit in the other 2 cups or the other league their in though

There is a squad registration in the EPL. The teams need to register a minimum of 25 players before the start of the season of the players that are going to be playing for their respective teams in the EPL and if you are not registered then you simply cannot play. If you are under 21 then you do not have to be registered and can play. There are two registration windows in a season. One in August and the other in February.

Sodje_18
04-07-2011, 10:13 PM

Arshavin was great first season and then had a poor second season, so can hardly call him a flop. Edurado was a great player but then he broke his leg. Reyes was outstanding for Arsenal, very classy player who wanted to return home to spain. I still think Konscielny will improve next season it was Squilacci I thought was gash. The keepers he has signed are crap because he refuses to spend more than 3 million on one, for a decent keeper these days it's 10 million+. Fair enough about Wright and Jeffers though, absolute gash.

hibee92
05-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Shows you how crackers football has become. Ruined by cash.

To be fair, although I agree that the whole City moneybags is ruining the game in some respects, Man City finished above Arsenal last season and won a trophy, Clichy was in his last year of his contract at Arsenal and only cost £7million. He, like many others, feel that Man City is the place to win medals. In this case I'm not surprised by the deal and it seems like a good move for both parties and Clichy himself.

SteveHFC
08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Arsenal and Manchester City agree £23m fee for Samir Nasri.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9533928.stm

Albion Hibs
09-07-2011, 12:24 AM
I think it is not bad business for arsenal. Clichy causes more problems than he solves and whist nasari was very good last year he has been at arsenal for a while and done nothing in the seasons before, I am sure once he has secured his contract and healthy pay day he will go back to being the nasari that arrived at arsenal.

Webber has a good a track record as anyone as being able to sell a player and replace, they don't need to sell so I am sure so they will only be doing it on there terms I am sure.