PDA

View Full Version : Jo Salter – Britain’s first female fighter pilot

Jack
01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I was at a conference the other week where Jo Salter was speaking about her life. As the first female fighter pilot her flying career included being a member of 617 squadron, the famous Dam Busters. A fascinating and amusing chat … from a schoolgirl ambition of being a hairdresser and working in one after school, to flying 25 ton fast jets – among the most powerful in the world.

Anyway I was on strike yesterday and picked up a CD of film theme tunes, it includes the Dam Busters and that had me thinking about Jo Salter at the conference. I’m now kicking myself for not asking if she sang the tune to herself as she went into battle! :greengrin

Do you think she did? How could you stop yourself??

Lucius Apuleius
02-07-2011, 07:40 AM
I was at a conference the other week where Jo Salter was speaking about her life. As the first female fighter pilot her flying career included being a member of 617 squadron, the famous Dam Busters. A fascinating and amusing chat … from a schoolgirl ambition of being a hairdresser and working in one after school, to flying 25 ton fast jets – among the most powerful in the world.

Anyway I was on strike yesterday and picked up a CD of film theme tunes, it includes the Dam Busters and that had me thinking about Jo Salter at the conference. I’m now kicking myself for not asking if she sang the tune to herself as she went into battle! :greengrin

Do you think she did? How could you stop yourself??

Old man was in Bomber Command during the war. Rear gunner on Lancasters and Stirlings. Think they were too busy ****ting themselves to hum tunes. :agree: As an aside though I took the chopper trip down the bottom of the Grand Canyon a few weeks ago. The chopper was playing James Bond music on take off. Found that rather amusing.