PDA

View Full Version : John Rankin not a fan of CC.

silverhibee
01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
In todays DR John Rankin has a few choice words to say on how he was treated by CC when he was at the club, said CC treated some of the players badly after telling them not to bother coming back to training and his man management was poor, he told JR he was ready for the scrap heap. :greengrin

I would put a link up but i am clueless when it comes to computers, if anyone cares to post a link, cheers. :thumbsup:

CallumLaidlaw
01-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Ex player has sour grapes that he was binned. Surprise surprise.

Mikey
01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
In todays DR John Rankin has a few choice words to say on how he was treated by CC when he was at the club, said CC treated some of the players badly after telling them not to bother coming back to training and his man management was poor, he told JR he was ready for the scrap heap. :greengrin

I would put a link up but i am clueless when it comes to computers, if anyone cares to post a link, cheers. :thumbsup:

Isn't that what a lot of fans had been saying about him for months!

WindyMiller
01-07-2011, 10:35 AM
One of very few quotes in the story

"I have nothing bad to say about Calderwood as it was his decision but it could've been handled a lot better."

Hardly earth-shattering.
"Daily Record with story that shows Hibs in bad light" shocker!

khib70
01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Khib70 not a fan of John Rankin:na na::taxi

basehibby
01-07-2011, 10:39 AM
One of very few quotes in the story

"I have nothing bad to say about Calderwood as it was his decision but it could've been handled a lot better."

Hardly earth-shattering.
"Daily Record with story that shows Hibs in bad light" shocker!

:agree: :shocked:

They really are a pathetic pish stained smelly weedgie rag

Cabbage East
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
DAILY ******.

Enough said.

JimBHibees
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
DR jaked hack, "So John do you think the way you finished at Hibs could have been handled better".

JR - Probably but dont you want to talk about my new team United.

Phone slams down

Headline - Rankin slates Hibs and Calderwood. :greengrin

scott7_0(Prague)
01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Fill yur boots.

Dundee United new boy John Rankin lifts the lid on his Hibs hell

Jul 1 2011

JOHN RANKIN insists he's learned a lot about man management from Colin Calderwood - unfortunately for the Hibs gaffer he insists it's all about how NOT to treat players.

The 28-year-old midfielder left Leith last month but his days at Easter Road were numbered long before that after being axed from the first-team squad in March.

Rankin, now at Dundee United, was initially frozen out of Calderwood's squad and then eventually told to stay away from training altogether.

The final insult for the former Inverness star was when a Hibs coach hinted he was set for the scrapheap by advising him to try his best to stay in full-time football rather than look for a part-time contract.

Those months under Calderwood soured Rankin's three-year stint with the capital club and he insists he won't forget it when he takes to the dugout as a boss.

The Bellshill boy has his heart set on going into management when his playing days are over and he won't be looking for tips from his former gaffer.

Rankin said: "I want to go down the coaching route when I finish playing and I am sure when I become a football manager I will make decisions about players.

"I've learned there are ways to go about things and ways not to do things. "The Hibs situation with myself and Calderwood and a few other players was an example of how not to do things but I'll store that experience and learn from it.

"Near the end of last season myself, Colin Nish and a few others were told not to report for training as our contracts were not going to be renewed.

"I wasn't really involved in a Hibs squad from February on.

"One of the coaching staff even said I should try and stay full-time and not go part-time.

"That was disrespectful after the three years service I had given the club. "It hurt badly and really dented my confidence at the time because anybody will tell you I'm a decent person and I work my b***s off everyday. "I am not a bad egg and it came as a bit of a shock. It was just a strange situation.

"I had to try and be the better man and go into training and keep myself buzzing.

"It was hard to do that when I was told I did not have a future at the club. "I have nothing bad to say about Calderwood as it was his decision but it could've been handled a lot better."

Rankin has a brighter outlook going into the new campaign, with United ready to have a crack at the Europa League. Arabs take on Poles Slask Wroclaw on July 14 and Rankin can't wait to get started.

He said: "I have come to a great club and I am looking forward to the Europa League. Its been a short pre-season but I am sure we'll be ready for Slask Wroclaw."

GreenCastle
01-07-2011, 11:03 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/What-I-learnt-at-Hibs.6794085.jp

Although Rankin wasn't the greatest of players at the club - he was the type of player at least looked like he always tried I believe.

Will be interesting to see how he does at Utd - as Hibs have a history of former players coming back to haunt them and score against us.

Was it any co-incidence that since he told certain players not to come to training from February that form was shocking towards the end of the season ?

Sums up the club right now sadly - stories like this coming out.

JimBHibees
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Sounds like he is being a bit of a drama queen. A coach says he should stay playing full time instead of part time and he gets all sensitive and hurt.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2011, 11:09 AM
It looks like it could be a great start to next season, no Rankin AND no Calderwood. Things are looking much better.

lyonhibs
01-07-2011, 11:12 AM
"on his Hibs hell"??!!!

Where, in what lifetime and in which solar system does Rankin intimate that his time at Hibs was even remotely "hellish"

If a Daily Record journo told me that water was wet I wouldn't believe them!!!

GloryGlory
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/What-I-learnt-at-Hibs.6794085.jp

Although Rankin wasn't the greatest of players at the club - he was the type of player at least looked like he always tried I believe.

Will be interesting to see how he does at Utd - as Hibs have a history of former players coming back to haunt them and score against us.

Was it any co-incidence that since he told certain players not to come to training from February that form was shocking towards the end of the season ?

Sums up the club right now sadly - stories like this coming out.

On the other hand, you could take the view that CC's thinking was sound - if the players weren't part of the longer term plan, why have them at training with the players who were in the plans, with the possibility for disruption and disaffection?

BoltonHibee
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
It looks like it could be a great start to next season, no Rankin AND no Calderwood. Things are looking much better.

I know Rankin has gone, I must have missed the news about Calderwood going....

You have never really given him a chance really have you?

GreenCastle
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
On the other hand, you could take the view that CC's thinking was sound - if the players weren't part of the longer term plan, why have them at training with the players who were in the plans, with the possibility for disruption and disaffection?

Agreed - before Christmas I was on here thinking we would get relegated until he brought in fresh players - more hungry and better quality than we had.

However we can't argue our form at the end of the season was shocking but that could be talked about in several ways.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
:boo hoo:Will be interesting to see the first eleven that Rankin picks when he becomes a manager. " So John, talk us through your line up today". Well Brian, I have had to go with a first eleven of 22 players, because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by dropping them.
Bottom line is, that he done it week in week out, not only would he have played every week last year, he would have been offered a new deal.

Arch Stanton
01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Sounds like he is being a bit of a drama queen. A coach says he should stay playing full time instead of part time and he gets all sensitive and hurt.

Part time footballers will be delighted to learn that they are on the scrapheap - nice one John.

Franck is God
01-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Like every player at ER when Calderwood arrived he was given every chance to stake a claim for a new deal and was proved simply not good enough.

No real loss for Hibs as far as I'm concerned and he is not the first employee to be put on 'gardening' leave when no longer required. He got a head start to find a new club while still picking up his wages every week, not bad treatment in my book.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2011, 12:09 PM
I know Rankin has gone, I must have missed the news about Calderwood going....

You have never really given him a chance really have you?

:na na:

AlbertK86
01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Rankin needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

A classic example of someone with an unrealistic high opinion of himself

Thinks because he played as a youth at Man U that he's the man

Sorry John you were piss poor at Easter Road.... initially fooled most managers by running about a lot but at least CC spotted you were not up to the task.

Reality ....

Always out of position - lost count of amount of times he left us exposed
Always tries the world cup pass (and fails) when even his short passing was woeful
Bottles big tackles and throws himself into tackles he has no chance of winning - resulting with team left with man on his arse as opposition breaks forward
CC if you go at least you got rid of this clown for us so I salute you

JR - Dry yer eyes ya wee poser

dangermouse
01-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Khib70 not a fan of John Rankin:na na::taxi

Loving your avatar. If only...

KiddA
01-07-2011, 03:48 PM

John Rankin was one of the wage thieves at Hibs and CC was right to punt him, so what if he told him to not come back. If I was in a job and my boss told me not to come back with pay I would not care. Rankin was truly awful at Hibs and I am glad he is gone.

Ed De Gramo
01-07-2011, 06:38 PM
They way the club treated him towards the end of last season was nothing short of a disgrace.

Daily Ranger making the story sound worse than it really is though

Westie1875
01-07-2011, 07:01 PM
They way the club treated him towards the end of last season was nothing short of a disgrace.

Daily Ranger making the story sound worse than it really is though

In what way? CC thought he wasn't good enough so he allowed him to leave early to have more time to focus on finding a new club (while still being paid), how is that a disgrace? :confused:

Saorsa
01-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Daily Ranger making the story sound worse than it really is thoughHe was telt he was nae longer required (and I dinnae blame them), what's disgraceful about that?

ancient hibee
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
He didn't like going into training because he didn't feel part of the squad.CC told him to stay away-he didn't like that either.Tube.He was a player totally lacking in composure and ran around a lot.I always assumed he was one of the players that CC described as"not realising that tackling was part of the game".

The_Todd
01-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I know he wasn't everyones idea of a "Hibs class player" but throwing around terms like "wage thief" is a bit much. He wasn't our best of players, but it's not as if he ever hid.

He's not even said too much wrong in the interview, but some people just can't wait to give the guy pelters just because they can. Jeez-oh.

RickyS
01-07-2011, 07:33 PM
In what way? CC thought he wasn't good enough so he allowed him to leave early to have more time to focus on finding a new club (while still being paid), how is that a disgrace? :confused:

i would say thats very reasonable, full pay while say on your ass! did Petrie know?

hibsmum
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Heard CC is very much a players manager!

(((Fergus)))
01-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Rather have Rankin here than that comatose * calderwood

edwards
01-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Rankin ran about like a heedles chicken and his goal tally from the centre of midfield was atrocious. Another poor player who joined the endless queue of poor players at ER last season.
That was one good thing CC done binned half that sheeeiiiite.

Beefster
02-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Rather have Rankin here than that comatose * calderwood

Yet another criticism of something other than his managerial style. Why don't you move onto his shoes next? Until he wears tan brogues, which are de rigueur these days, I won't take to him.

Most of the folk, including players who have been binned by him, can't say a bad word about him. That says a hundred times more than some fatuous insults thrown by some randoms on the internet.

Dunbar Hibee
02-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Piss aff Rankin.

marinello59
02-07-2011, 09:12 AM
John Rankin was one of the wage thieves at Hibs and CC was right to punt him, so what if he told him to not come back. If I was in a job and my boss told me not to come back with pay I would not care. Rankin was truly awful at Hibs and I am glad he is gone.

Wage thief? He accepted a position that he was offered and always gave 100%. You can argue about his ability or lack of it but to suggest he didn't do his best to earn his money is ludicrous.

Gala Foxes
03-07-2011, 09:37 AM
given his modest contribution to Hibs in the 2/3 years he was here his thoughts do not even merit consideration - when the going got tough he consistently was posted missing. A totally underwhelming Hibs "career"

matty_f
03-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Wage thief? He accepted a position that he was offered and always gave 100%. You can argue about his ability or lack of it but to suggest he didn't do his best to earn his money is ludicrous.

:agree: As poor a player as I think Rankin is, I would never have criticised him for a lack of application or for having a poor attitude.

KiddA
03-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Are you sure about that? the games I watched Rankin in last season you are lucky if he touched the ball 4 or 5 times in some matches. Rankin done a lot of hiding in games last year as far as I am concerned hence why I think he is a wage thief. Always used to spout so much crap in the papers too about turning the form around. After reading his comments in the record he is a true big time Charlie and very bitter.

Removed
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
:agree: As poor a player as I think Rankin is, I would never have criticised him for a lack of application or for having a poor attitude.

:agree: he doesn't have a real man's dog though

sesoim
04-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Yet another criticism of something other than his managerial style. Why don't you move onto his shoes next? Until he wears tan brogues, which are de rigueur these days, I won't take to him.

Most of the folk, including players who have been binned by him, can't say a bad word about him. That says a hundred times more than some fatuous insults thrown by some randoms on the internet.

I totally disagree. The right personality is vital for being a good manager and CC clearly acts strangely. He might have a brilliant footballing brain for all I know but if he doesn't come across the right way then he wont get the best out of his players.

I think his future lies as an able assistant to a more animated, straight forward manager.

sahib
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM

People expect an awful lot from managers these days. :rolleyes:
What do his TV interviews matter?

Beefster
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I totally disagree. The right personality is vital for being a good manager and CC clearly acts strangely. He might have a brilliant footballing brain for all I know but if he doesn't come across the right way then he wont get the best out of his players.

I think his future lies as an able assistant to a more animated, straight forward manager.

Acts strangely where? You're judging his interactions with players on press interviews?

You can disagree with me all you want all you want but I'm just stating a fact. Very few, if any, folk who have worked directly with him (or even spoken to him) have anything bad to say about him. As I said, that says far more than a few posters on here who have never been near the guy but don't like the way he interacts with the press.