PDA

View Full Version : Gaffer or assistant?

RIP
30-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I wonder if on any of the current threads anyone has compared the role of manager at Hibs with the role of Assistant at an EPL-aspiring Championship Club?

How enjoyable is it to manage Hibernian FC? To understand this we need to consider the management structure at the club.

Fife Hyland is Chief Exec, covering the day to day running of all aspects of the business apart from Football. Rod Petrie, is Chairman and Scott Lindsay is Director of Football Operations.

My assumptions are that the Football Director (under the Chairman's guidance?) sets the football budget, appoints the coaching team, conducts all player negotiations - new and existing and manages all disciplinary matters

If you are a player or a coach (including Calderwood) you report to the Football Director. The first team coach tells the players how to train and play on a Saturday. It's a lesser role than in the old days when first team coaches were referred to as 'The Manager' or 'The Gaffer'.

In my opinion, many first team coaches might struggle with this culture. It's noticeable that manay do their talking to the Directors through the press, particularly when it comes to capturing their signing targets.

I'm less sure how Colin has adjusted to the way it's done at Hibs but if his original intention was to 'be his own man' I would suggest that the first team coach role at Hibs might not satisfy that ambition. Another factor might be the lack of forming his own coaching team. At least at Birmingham he would be back with Hughton in a working relationship he previously enjoyed.

All my conjecture of course but having changed jobs myself a number of times over the years, role responsibility, quality of line management, enjoyment, challenge and salary all play a big part in my decision

I'm not sure how many of those boxes 1st team coach at Hibs would tick over No2 at Birmingham - for any of us let alone Calderwood? Maybe it would only ever tick your boxes if you were a Hibby?

Cropley10
30-06-2011, 10:57 AM
That's a lot of people to run a £9m business.

And however you describe it's hardly proving to be successful - from what you suggest RP is at the top of the tree, everyone reports, ultimately, to him.

Mikey
30-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Scott Lindsay is Director of Football Operations.

You really need to stop making things up just to suit your agenda.

Scott's new title is Executive Director.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110418/club-update_2262950_2341639

Jack
30-06-2011, 11:10 AM
That's a lot of people to run a £9m business.

And however you describe it's hardly proving to be successful - from what you suggest RP is at the top of the tree, everyone reports, ultimately, to STF.

Fixed that for you. :greengrin

bobbyhibs1983
30-06-2011, 11:15 AM
This may sound stupid but can somone tell me what "Director of Football Operations" is?
is that the same as a director of football?

Imo i tend to think of a football club as like a chairman(or chairwoman) who is responsible for the overall club.Im sure there would be such roles as finace director whom handles the money sude,there would be like a marketing person, who markets things,Im sure they would be like ticket managers(dunno what the offical name would be for this?)who would handle tickets(and the ticket office?)

As for the footballing side i think the top of the tree should be the manager,whom would report to the chairperson.I reckon the manager would then appoint his own coaches, first team coach, reserve and fitness and under 21.17's coaches,

Or have i sorta missed things? though im sure I have.

Cropley10
30-06-2011, 11:19 AM
You really need to stop making things up just to suit your agenda.

Scott's new title is Executive Director.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110418/club-update_2262950_2341639

So, Executive Director of what...?

Danny_Hibee
30-06-2011, 11:25 AM
This may sound stupid but can somone tell me what "Director of Football Operations" is?
is that the same as a director of football?

Thankfully, despite what the OP says, we dont really need to know what a "Director of Football Operations" is as no such role exists at Hibs.

Jack
30-06-2011, 11:29 AM
So, Executive Director of what...?

Put simply;

Scott Lindsay – East Mains and everything there.

Fife Hyland – Easter Road and everything there.

Cropley10
30-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Put simply;

Fife Hyland – Easter Road and everything there.

:aok:

RIP
30-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Yup!

Sporting Success
Football Department
Transfers
Signings
Player Contracts
Coaching structure
Academy

football director with or without the capital letters

The topic of the post was role to role comparison for Calderwood but feel free to pick up on job titles if you think that's more important :greengrin

Wing Half
30-06-2011, 04:08 PM
I think John Blackley answers the question here:
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Birmingham-step-up-their-efforts.6793428.jp

Cropley10
30-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Yup!

Sporting Success
Football Department
Transfers
Signings
Player Contracts
Coaching structure
Academy

football director with or without the capital letters

The topic of the post was role to role comparison for Calderwood but feel free to pick up on job titles if you think that's more important :greengrin

I thought Mr Petrie did the bits in bold?

RIP
30-06-2011, 05:08 PM

He did up till the restructure at Easter - see link in Mikey's post. Scott is effectively running the football operation at East Mains as part of the new structure and strategy.

They've ticked the debt box, the infrastructure box and now Scott is tackling the 'football success' box.

That's what I read into the statement anyway

BEEJ
30-06-2011, 10:04 PM
He does ... until the new season starts - which is what the club announcement on 18 April stated.

This is RP's 'last hurrah', apparently.

He did up till the restructure at Easter - see link in Mikey's post. Scott is effectively running the football operation at East Mains as part of the new structure and strategy.
It all changes over when the new season starts - presumably with the first SPL match. But more likely to be at the end of this summer's transfer window.

Bad Martini
30-06-2011, 11:11 PM
The genius of Billy Shankly as ever has a quote to cover this and once again, the man was spot on:

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques". - Bill Shankly.

The man rarely got it wrong. He didnt get this one wrong.

..other than omitting the key phrase...

...ENDOF :agree:

basehibby
01-07-2011, 12:05 AM
The genius of Billy Shankly as ever has a quote to cover this and once again, the man was spot on:

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques". - Bill Shankly.

The man rarely got it wrong. He didnt get this one wrong.

..other than omitting the key phrase...

...ENDOF :agree:

:greengrin :top marks