PDA

View Full Version : When has a club successfully managed to keep their coveted manager?

Hibbyradge
30-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Have there been occasions when a manager who was wanted elsewhere, and wanted to go, stayed to see out his contract?

Beefster
30-06-2011, 06:44 AM
I'm sure that there will be examples but it won't have ended particularly well, long-term.

I don't see the point of trying to keep, or persuade, a manager if their gut reaction is to go. I wouldn't even be particularly difficult about compensation - as long as we get the money paid to Newcastle back, fine.

Stevie Reid
30-06-2011, 08:45 AM
He didn't see out his contract as he went to WBA shortly after, but Hibs allowed Mowbray to speak to Ipswich when we obviously wanted to keep him, and he turned them down.

This more than anything makes me think that permission has been refused to Birmingham soley on the grounds of compensation. I think the board know that keeping CC will only mean more trouble in the long term.

Beefster
30-06-2011, 08:47 AM
He didn't see out his contract as he went to WBA shortly after, but Hibs allowed Mowbray to speak to Ipswich when we obviously wanted to keep him, and he turned them down.

This more than anything makes me think that permission has been refused to Birmingham soley on the grounds of compensation. I think the board know that keeping CC will only mean more trouble in the long term.

I don't think that Mowbray ever spoke to Ipswich, officially at least, other than to say 'no thanks'.

LancashireHibby
30-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Have there been occasions when a manager who was wanted elsewhere, and wanted to go, stayed to see out his contract?

Roberto Martinez when he chose to turn down Aston Villa the other week to stay at Wigan.

Stevie Reid
30-06-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't think that Mowbray ever spoke to Ipswich, officially at least, other than to say 'no thanks'.

Says here that David Sheepshanks really tried to sell the club to him and that he spent two days thinking about it: -

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Gut-reaction-means-Mowbray-stays.2777073.jp

Beefster
30-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Says here that David Sheepshanks really tried to sell the club to him and that he spent two days thinking about it: -

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Gut-reaction-means-Mowbray-stays.2777073.jp

My mistake. I was always under the impression that he had just said no.

Stevie Reid
30-06-2011, 09:25 AM
My mistake. I was always under the impression that he had just said no.

I remember being delighed when he stayed as I thought that once permission had been granted that that would be it. Wasn't long before he was off though.

SkintHibby
30-06-2011, 03:13 PM
CC is not 'coveted' here so what's your point caller?:wink:

Hibbyradge
30-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I can't think of a club ever successfully beating off interest in their manager from another club.

If the manager doesn't want to go, that's a different matter.

I can't imagine Birmingham not being able to meet our legal compensation entitlement, but business is business so we'll see who blinks first.

Sir David Gray
30-06-2011, 06:54 PM
In January the then Bournemouth manager, Eddie Howe, who had been approached by several bigger clubs to become their manager came out and announced that he was staying with Bournemouth after careful consideration.

Three days later, he left Bournemouth and joined Burnley.

yekimevol
30-06-2011, 07:08 PM
tony mowbray chose to remain at hibs when ipswich came knocking.
He said that, he was not interested about the money and that he would not take a side step in his career. That he would only leave when a side with the potential to get into the premiership came along.

it happend to be a a few months later but i was happy enough with it

Hibbyradge
30-06-2011, 07:48 PM
tony mowbray chose to remain at hibs when ipswich came knocking.
He said that, he was not interested about the money and that he would not take a side step in his career. That he would only leave when a side with the potential to get into the premiership came along.

it happend to be a a few months later but i was happy enough with it

Exactly.

It's always the individual manager who rejects the move, not the club.

There have been no examples of when a manager who wanted to go, was made to stay by the club.

If CC wants to leave, he'll leave. If he stays, it's because he wants to stay.

1two
30-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Does anyone honestly think that houghton hasn't spoke to Calderwood prior to him then getting Brum to contact Hibs?

Or forest for that matter?

Hibbyradge
30-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Does anyone honestly think that houghton hasn't spoke to Calderwood prior to him then getting Brum to contact Hibs?

Or forest for that matter?

This is surreal.

Houghton's wants Brum to contact Forest?

Whatever next?

Hibernia Na Eir
30-06-2011, 08:22 PM
no matter the club, money ALWAYS talks.....