PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Riordan to Aberdeen?

SteveHFC
29-06-2011, 11:07 PM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=4&fid=27&sty=2&act=1&mid=2117078893

The_Todd
29-06-2011, 11:16 PM
I thought he'd made it clear he wanted out of the SPL so I'd be suprised if this happened.

stokesmessiah
29-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Just posted that on private board as well, its doing the rounds up here !!

Beefster
30-06-2011, 05:04 AM
I thought he'd made it clear he wanted out of the SPL so I'd be suprised if this happened.

Riordan might have just said that as a face-saving exercise in order to stop folk thinking that he was being 'let go' by Hibs. He said that he wanted to stay at Hibs before leaving twice so I wouldn't put too much faith in what is said.

KWJ
30-06-2011, 05:28 AM
says on that thread he was spotted leaving pittodrie....with Lewis Stevenson!

So pish or someone has mistaken Lewis for somebody else, maybe Deeks & Bieber are pals.

shagpile
30-06-2011, 06:42 AM

He made it clear he wanted out of the SPL , but maybe there has been a lack of suitors for Mr Riordan & Aberdeen may be his 'best 'offer.
keep your eyes peeled for a quick sale of kettles & toasters in order to pay for his 'big pay day'

Steve20
30-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Why are we not offering a contract to keep him? Surely, we can compete with Aberdeen when paying wages.

Andy74
30-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Why are we not offering a contract to keep him? Surely, we can compete with Aberdeen when paying wages.

Yes, if we wanted to of course we could.

smurf
30-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Yeah that superb Hibernian side that finished 10th in the SPL is far too good to not have a player of the standing of Derek Riordan.

"Aye but he was gash last season... Didnae try a leg... bad body language..." Blah blah blah...

He did by his standard have a poor season. Still though our top goalscorer....

Steve20
30-06-2011, 08:22 AM

I don't get why we wouldn't want to, though. A player that scores and creates goals for us.

Beefster
30-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah that superb Hibernian side that finished 10th in the SPL is far too good to not have a player of the standing of Derek Riordan.

"Aye but he was gash last season... Didnae try a leg... bad body language..." Blah blah blah...

He did by his standard have a poor season. Still though our top goalscorer....

In a season where he was the only striker who consistently played, I'd suggest that isn't the achievement it would normally be. When we got another striker in, Sodje scored more goals per game than Riordan.

smurf
30-06-2011, 08:47 AM
In a season where he was the only striker who consistently played, I'd suggest that isn't the achievement it would normally be. When we got another striker in, Sodje scored more goals per game than Riordan.

No doubts. I remember Keith Wright having a stinking season. I think Alan Shearer did one season... Rooney was poor most of last season...

Yeah a poorish season he must be finished.

If he went to Aberdeen he would score for fun as he always has.

Then we would get folk on here saying "He didn't do that for us..."

Couldn't make it up.

Beefster
30-06-2011, 09:11 AM
No doubts. I remember Keith Wright having a stinking season. I think Alan Shearer did one season... Rooney was poor most of last season...

Couldn't make it up.

It's not just about a poor season and anyone who thinks it is is letting emotion cloud their judgement (IMO). He's been below par in two of the three seasons since coming back from Celtic. His pace (or what he had) is gone, his demeanour on the pitch is pish, he's incapable of dragging the team up when we're pish and he doesn't act like a senior player. I would have liked him to stay on Hibs' terms because there is still the increasingly rare moment of genius but he's not worth the top wage at the club any longer.

We've been hearing stories of huge wages in the US, big wages in England, Turkey etc etc. Yet, he is strongly rumoured to be Aberdeen-bound. That says more about Riordan than it does Hibs.

Spike Mandela
30-06-2011, 09:29 AM
To lose our top goalscorer to one of our main rivals in the league would be folly of the highest order but entirely in keeping with the shambles that is Hibs pre season at the moment.

Stevie Reid
30-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Couldn't make it up.

I realise that you are obviously not comparing them as players but to compare the seasons that Riordan and Rooney had last season is way off the mark. How many goals did Riordan score in the second half of the season? Rooney scored THAT overhead kick to win the Manchester derby, scored a hat trick when Manchester United were 2-0 at West Ham, scored the penalty that won them the league at Blackburn, as well as scoring in the Champions League quarter final, semi final, and final.

Overall he scored 11 goals in 28 EPL games, 4 goals in 9 CL games, and 1 goal in 2 FA Cup matches. The relative impact that Riordan and Rooney had on their respective teams was like night and day, and Rooney was injured for quite a while at the start of the season.

Spike Mandela
30-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I realise that you are obviously not comparing them as players but to compare the seasons that Riordan and Rooney had last season is way off the mark. How many goals did Riordan score in the second half of the season? Rooney scored THAT overhead kick to win the Manchester derby, scored a hat trick when Manchester United were 2-0 at West Ham, scored the penalty that won them the league at Blackburn, as well as scoring in the Champions League quarter final, semi final, and final.

Overall he scored 11 goals in 28 EPL games, 4 goals in 9 CL games, and 1 goal in 2 FA Cup matches. The relative impact that Riordan and Rooney had on their respective teams was like night and day, and Rooney was injured for quite a while at the start of the season.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh think he means Adam Rooney!:confused:

Captain Trips
30-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I assume then seeing as DR did not perform well last season and arguably longer you must have major concerns over Garry Oconnor then who had an even worse season?

Stevie Reid
30-06-2011, 09:46 AM
ehhhhhhhhhhhh think he means Adam Rooney!:confused:

Adam Rooney that scored 20 goals in 41 games last year? I don't think he does mean Adam Rooney (he mentioned Alan Shearer in his original post too), but it's equally misguided if he does.

hibsmum
30-06-2011, 09:47 AM
He hasn't signed for us because of what he was offered, straight from Riordan himself, Saturday night in Lloyds bar.

Spike Mandela
30-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Adam Rooney that scored 20 goals in 41 games last year? I don't think he does mean Adam Roonwy, but it's equally misguided if he does.

Just reread it and I'm not sure myself now:greengrin

Adam Rooney did have a poor second half of the season in terms of goals

Captain Trips
30-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Adam Rooney that scored 20 goals in 41 games last year? I don't think he does mean Adam Rooney (he mentioned Alan Shearer in his original post too), but it's equally misguided if he does.

I thought it was Wayne he was talking about also.

Stevie Reid
30-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Just reread it and I'm not sure myself now:greengrin

Adam Rooney did have a poor second half of the season in terms of goals

50% scoring ratio for the season is good regardless!

Dashing Bob S
30-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if he was at ER next season on a short term contract. It seems nobody wants him and nobody wants to sign for us, so...

marinello59
30-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Couldn't make it up.

You just have. he hasn't signed for Aberdeen and you have imagined a whole scenario. Wishful thinking? :greengrin

Brown has denied any interest in the Aberdeen Evening Express.

Seveno
01-07-2011, 01:04 PM
According to the Scotsman this morning, his agent was trying to tout him to Aberdeen but Paw Broon declined.

Callum_62
01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
According to the Scotsman this morning, his agent was trying to tout him to Aberdeen but Paw Broon declined.

If that, an dthe above are true....our offer may not be so bad....

bigstu
01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
It would be a tradegy if he went to another spl club, especially aberdeen!

RickyS
01-07-2011, 01:26 PM
It would be a tradegy if he went to another spl club, especially aberdeen!

that would hurt bad

Golden Bear
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
He hasn't signed for us because of what he was offered, straight from Riordan himself, Saturday night in Lloyds bar.

"Performance related pay" --------- I wonder if DR and a few others have heard of that expression.

Expecting Rain
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Criticise Riordan if you must but please don`t compare him with Sodje.

Beefster
01-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Sodje's goalscoring last season For Hibs stands comparison with Riordan's. I didn't mention anything else.

Jim44
01-07-2011, 01:58 PM

I think his reputation is going before him. Clearly, he is willing to go to another SPL club, if his agent is actively touting him, but it looks as if he is 'personna non grata'. The Aberdeen fans were wetting themselves at the prospect of getting him, but Paw Broon has put his foot down. I can't believe that he hasn't had offers, well in excess of anything he could get at Er, so why is is he not fixed up yet?. The way things are going I can see the season starting wothout him finding a club. If he's got any pride he won't come back to us with his tail between his legs.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I'd like Riordan back at Hibs, although he'd have to improve on last seasons poor form.

Seveno
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM

On the basis of the performance since he came to Hibs, Sodje contributed much more to the team. He worked harder, supported his team mates more and scored more goals.

Expecting Rain
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
On the basis of the performance since he came to Hibs, Sodje contributed much more to the team. He worked harder, supported his team mates more and scored more goals.

I`d rather have Riordan playing for Hibs next season than Sodje, based on his overall contribution to Hibs rather than a poor season last term playing in a poor team. Messi would have struggled playing wide left with that lot!:wink:

Sunny1875
01-07-2011, 03:03 PM

why not compare him with Sodje ?

i think the comparison stands. two players playing for a team of the same quality, it's the comparison with Rooney that should be questioned.

if DR had players of the same quality around him as Rooney has he would not be at Hibs and would have fulfilled the potential we all know he had when he first broke into the Hibs team, Sadly he has not for whatever reasons not reached the height's he should have. Yes i would love to see an on form hard working DR at Easter road, but like many who where there last season he has been told the level that Hibs will pay and expect.

Leishy1995
01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
He should resign, he'll regret not leaving on a high note if he doesn't.

DH1875
01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I'll be proper Pd if he signs for another spl club. Who knows, maybe he waiting to see what happens with CC.

Seveno
01-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I`d rather have Riordan playing for Hibs next season than Sodje, based on his overall contribution to Hibs rather than a poor season last term playing in a poor team. Messi would have struggled playing wide left with that lot!:wink:

So was it his team-mates fault that he lost his pace and hit so many shots off target ?

sahib
01-07-2011, 09:24 PM
I am getting a wee bit concerned about Derek after reading this thread. I assumed he would get offered a good deal down South but it has all gone quite.
He can't afford to miss a pre-season at his age, I would have thought. Hope he gets something soon.

edwards
01-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Why would Riordan want to sign for Aberdeen rather than stay at Hibs.

Two Reasons maybe

1 Hibs offered him really crap money as a wage for next season

2 Maybe Strachan is on his way to Er and Riordan thought **** that I am off.

Riordan has really blew his chance of a better move by putting in some couldn't be bothered performances to the end of last season.

essexhibee
01-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Comparing sodje to Riordan is laughable.

NOLA
01-07-2011, 10:40 PM
why do we have a thread on an ex player? speaks volumes about this site lately, will he/wont he/maybe aye/maybe no as good a player Riordan was why is this still getting attention? IDC where he ends up cos it wont be in the green + white. FACT

YehButNoBut
05-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Looks like Deek may prefer Chinese according to the Sun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREED Hibernian star Derek Riordan is wanted by Chinese outfit Shaanxi Chanba.

The striker must decide by FRIDAY if he's interested in the shock deal. The ambitious China Super League side are scouring Europe for stars.
They made a bold bid to lure Nottingham Forest hitman Robert Earnshaw to the Far East.
But the Wales ace rejected their advances. Now Riordan has emerged as a late signing target before their transfer window shuts at the end of this week.
Chaanxi could be prepared to pay big money to get their man after missing out on No1 target Earnshaw.
Deek is up for grabs after deciding to quit at the end of the season.
He knows about the interest but could hold off for a move closer to home.
Meanwhile, Matt Thornhill last night urged Hibs boss Colin Calderwood to ignore the lure of a return to England.
He said: "He's not come in, got us in a meeting and said he's going. So hopefully he'll stay."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3677461/Deek-can-make-Chinese-fortune.html#ixzz1RDYIw3fd

Iain G
05-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Comparing sodje to Riordan is laughable.

Yeah one of them gives a damn about doing his best for Hibs, the other is off to China, or Houston, or somewhere.... :agree: