PDA

View Full Version : Rooney set to sign (for Crawley Town)

frazeHFC
29-06-2011, 09:39 AM
League 2 side Crawley Town look to have won the race for Inverness striker Adam Rooney

Well i never saw this coming. I know Crawley have a rich owner but still a great capture for them, especially with talk Birmingham wanted him.

DC_Hibs
29-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Speculate to accummulate.

From Crawley site today:

Crawley Town Football Club are confident that a further new signing will be unveiled this morning.

Manager Steve Evans was locked in talks with the quality striker and his representatives until around midnight last night and the official website, www.crawleytownfc.com, can reveal that a deal was concluded with the player. Subject to a medical and documentation the player will become a Red this morning.

The players all return for the new season later today and of course we all wish them and the staff every success for the season ahead.

5000 stadium, record crowd c4,100 v Derby, normal crowds of around 1000-1500.
Their owner could teach Vlad a thing or two about spending beyond their means.

Surely Rooney would only go to play for them for an offer that was a good deal better than others on the table.

Andy74
29-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Well i never saw this coming. I know Crawley have a rich owner but still a great capture for them, especially with talk Birmingham wanted him.

Football is broken I'm afraid and I can't see the new finance rules making any differnce as there are so many ways round living beyond your means.

CallumLaidlaw
29-06-2011, 10:06 AM
total lack of ambition by Rooney if this is the case. Especially is Birmingham are interested. A move to Hibs, or staying at ICT is a bigger stage than Crawley town.
Purely money motivated rather than looking at the long term. Another good season at hibs/ICT would see bigger clubs interested. A good season at Brum could see him playing in the EPL.

hibs0666
29-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Football is broken I'm afraid and I can't see the new finance rules making any differnce as there are so many ways round living beyond your means.

The only way the finance rules will make any difference is if they are adopted with domestic competition also. Only outside intervention can do that - there are too many vested interests within the game that are quite happy to play fast and loose with the finances of football clubs.

Speedway
29-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Reminds me of the times when SPL sides were losing out on targets to 3rd Division Gretna.

How did that one work out again?

Billy Whizz
29-06-2011, 10:44 AM
total lack of ambition by Rooney if this is the case. Especially is Birmingham are interested. A move to Hibs, or staying at ICT is a bigger stage than Crawley town.
Purely money motivated rather than looking at the long term. Another good season at hibs/ICT would see bigger clubs interested. A good season at Brum could see him playing in the EPL.

Might change his mind I'd CC is appointed as Birmingham assistant?

Andy74
29-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Reminds me of the times when SPL sides were losing out on targets to 3rd Division Gretna.

How did that one work out again?

Dundee recently too.

lucky
29-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Money talks. If crawley offer £5k a week and Hibs £3k them its over a hundred grand a year. A 3 year deal gives him security. So whilst we all get on the high moral ground most of us would make a decision to financially safeguard our families

LancashireHibby
29-06-2011, 10:57 AM
More fool him for signing for that crook Evans.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Playing at a level well below his abililites, for more cash. If her scores a lot, he will be on Sky Sports Sunday morning programme every week. Could be a way up the leagues into the Championship maybe?
I can see Crawley Town crash and burn though and although I don't know a lot about them, something inside tells me that I would not be completely unhappy at this?
On the one hand, that manager bloke looks like a massive jigsaw puzzle piece, and the amount of times he managed to work in " Glasgow", when talking about their cup game with Sair Alex and Man Utd gave me the boak.
Similarly with Craig Brewster with his obnoxious comments about our game, completely glossing over the fact that it is what he has done here, that has given him the profile to do what he is doing now.

silverhibee
29-06-2011, 11:20 AM

Think he will sign for Birmingham City.

The_Exile
29-06-2011, 11:25 AM
They did sign a striker this morning but it wasn't Rooney.

basehibby
29-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Speculate to accummulate.

From Crawley site today:

Crawley Town Football Club are confident that a further new signing will be unveiled this morning.

Manager Steve Evans was locked in talks with the quality striker and his representatives until around midnight last night and the official website, www.crawleytownfc.com (http://www.crawleytownfc.com), can reveal that a deal was concluded with the player. Subject to a medical and documentation the player will become a Red this morning.

The players all return for the new season later today and of course we all wish them and the staff every success for the season ahead.

5000 stadium, record crowd c4,100 v Derby, normal crowds of around 1000-1500.
Their owner could teach Vlad a thing or two about spending beyond their means.

Surely Rooney would only go to play for them for an offer that was a good deal better than others on the table.

Well it's more fool Rooney IMO - he must surely be earning a decent wedge but it is without doubt a step backwards in terms of the football he'll be playing.

It's surprising enough he'd knock back a move to ER in favour of Crawley, but a move to Brum City and the Championship as well??? :crazy:

The_Exile
29-06-2011, 11:38 AM
"Crawley Town are delighted to confirm the capture of highly sought-after striker Tyrone Barnett for an undisclosed fee."

Not Rooney, although that's not to say he won't still sign for Crawley, but the striker they signed this morning is this guy.

Beefster
29-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Money talks. If crawley offer £5k a week and Hibs £3k them its over a hundred grand a year. A 3 year deal gives him security. So whilst we all get on the high moral ground most of us would make a decision to financially safeguard our families

I disagree. For a footballer, there is a balance to be found between playing at the highest level possible and getting as good a wage as possible. Rooney could have been playing in the Championship this season with Birmingham (if the rumours are to be believed). If he goes to Crawley, he's chosen money to the short-term, at least, detriment of his career.

The SPL is derided all the time but players make the move to the Premiership all the time (Connor Sammon being one of the latest). Rooney will never get a move from League Two to the Premiership.

Speedway
29-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Rooney's having a medical at BCFC apparently.

Andy74
29-06-2011, 12:46 PM
I disagree. For a footballer, there is a balance to be found between playing at the highest level possible and getting as good a wage as possible. Rooney could have been playing in the Championship this season with Birmingham (if the rumours are to be believed). If he goes to Crawley, he's chosen money to the short-term, at least, detriment of his career.

The SPL is derided all the time but players make the move to the Premiership all the time (Connor Sammon being one of the latest). Rooney will never get a move from League Two to the Premiership.

If Birmingham are actually interested he will get more there than Crawley anyway.

So Hughton, friends with CC and trying to get CC back suddenly has an interest in a player Hibs have been targetting since January but who we haven't been mentioned with lately.

How much of CC's genuine interest has been with hibs recently then?

Wheat Hound
29-06-2011, 12:50 PM
If Birmingham are actually interested he will get more there than Crawley anyway.

So Hughton, friends with CC and trying to get CC back suddenly has an interest in a player Hibs have been targetting since January but who we haven't been mentioned with lately.

Exactly. Something stinks. Our manager tapped up followed by our signing targets.

Hermit Crab
29-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Crawley will end up like Gretna. Bust. Because they are punching above their weight......... tick tock

LancashireHibby
29-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Must admit that it crossed my mind, although it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he was already on Brum's radar.

LancashireHibby
29-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Crawley will end up like Gretna. Bust. Because they are punching above their weight......... tick tock

They're not even punching, they're just chucking money all over the place. And at least Gretna managed it without a crook at the forefront.

Baldy Foghorn
29-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Begs the question, where Ivan Sproule and Gary O'Connor actually targets by CC, or did the Board force them both upon him?:devil:

Beefster
29-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Exactly. Something stinks. Our manager tapped up followed by our signing targets.

Hibs have been chasing him for 6 months and he still hadn't signed so the chances of him coming to Hibs were remote, if he hadn't already told Hibs that he wasn't signing with us.

ScottB
29-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Pretty sure he was linked with Brum prior to McLeish bailing on them actually.

Beefster
29-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Pretty sure he was linked with Brum prior to McLeish bailing on them actually.

That can't be right. Agent Calderwood has definitely been doing some undercover work for Birmingham by referring all the players that Hibs like the look of onto them.

weonlywon6-2
29-06-2011, 03:41 PM

what a crap decision to make.crawley town,wow !!!:rolleyes:

Cropley10
29-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Crawley are on the up, loads of cash to spend and in a League where he might well shine.

Alternatively he could have come to ER... no brainer, sadly.

Kaiser1962
29-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Apparently Crawley's spending would be 4th largest if they were in the SPL.

PeckythePenguin
29-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Rooney signs for Birmingham:
http://www.bcfc.com/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10412~2383798,00.html

Biggie
29-06-2011, 05:00 PM

well thank F for that....Crawley Town instead of hibs would have pretty hard to take...brum you can understand...

erin go bragh
29-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Good pay packet with them and a good chance to be in the premiership next season .
Cant compete with birmingham but im happy with o`connor instead of rooney tbh :wink:
ggtth