PDA

View Full Version : Hibs eye Bollan as boss ..... Sun exclusive

Prawn Sandwich
29-06-2011, 02:29 AM
There now .......... Here's a new thread and headline to wake you up in the morning!

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3665676/Hibs-eye-Bollan-as-boss.html

KWJ
29-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thank you.

sven nil
29-06-2011, 02:52 AM
There now .......... Here's a new thread and headline to wake you up in the morning!

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3665676/Hibs-eye-Bollan-as-boss.html

yes it was posted on cc leaving thread a few hours back! I liked him as a player, bit played with the huns so that will rule him out.

KiddA
29-06-2011, 03:01 AM

:bitchy:

SkintHibby
29-06-2011, 04:55 AM
yes it was posted on cc leaving thread a few hours back! I liked him as a player, bit played with the huns so that will rule him out.

Why should being an ex Rangers player rule him out?:confused: (Not that I want him but I don't get your logic)

Iain G
29-06-2011, 04:59 AM
With Archie Lovell as his number 2??? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
29-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Why the negativity?

Do those of you who don't want him know anything about his style of football, man management ability or tactical awareness? :dunno:

stubru59
29-06-2011, 06:05 AM
The fact he's been touted in advance of a vacancy arising should be enough to ensure he doesn't get the job.

alfieboi75
29-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Well....it must be a matter of time for CC to head out the door, if Hibs are showing interest in Mr Bollan......

Personally, not an ideal candidate to the fact he does not have enough experience.

There are names Hibs should consider e.g. Denise Wise....Derek McInnes.......George Burnley........Gordon Strachan (a long shot) and Billy Davies...

If any of the above names does take the job, then I'll be a happy chappy:thumbsup:

hibbill2002
29-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Well....it must be a matter of time for CC to head out the door, if Hibs are showing interest in Mr Bollan......

Personally, not an ideal candidate to the fact he does not have enough experience.

There are names Hibs should consider e.g. Denise Wise....Derek McInnes.......George Burnley........Gordon Strachan (a long shot) and Billy Davies...

If any of the above names does take the job, then I'll be a happy chappy:thumbsup:
Ernies wife/daughter?:wink:

Mikey
29-06-2011, 06:55 AM
He has earned huge plaudits for the way he has steered the Almondvale club back up the leagues.

Except from Hibs fans who know absolutely nothing about him!

poolman
29-06-2011, 06:59 AM

As if The Tache is gonna let slip to the Sun that one :rolleyes:

Beefster
29-06-2011, 07:33 AM

He's at a club with vast resources in comparison to the clubs that they have been competing with.

Mixu got promotion at Cowdenbeath and a Finnish club into Europe. Hughes got Falkirk into the SPL, kept them there and reached a Scottish Cup Final. Both more successful and experienced than Bollan yet both couldn't translate that into success within the Hibs framework.

We've tried the 'up and coming' manager for most of the 2000's. It is a strategy that has failed pretty much comprehensively, aside from Mowbray. It's time to change the strategy (along with the recruitment process and method of running the football department).

smurf
29-06-2011, 07:36 AM

We know he's inexperienced.

Hibstrooper
29-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Here's my Livi mate's take on Bollan...

A huge majority of lower league fans will say that he's had the easiest job, biggest budget, "their mum could have done what he's done".

I disagree with that as he had to take a team ripped apart, full of uncertainty, pumped down 2 leagues and on the verge of liquidation and turn that all around. I think he's done a great job and in his time has made a couple of cracking signings.

I don't want to loose him as if he stayed it'd be the first time in about 10 years we'd have kept a manager for 3 seasons and that kind of stability is hard to get - Hibs know this all to well.

He's got a good team together and works well with the youngsters (over half our team are academy players) and with established pros (the likes of Fox, Deuchar, Hamill). Given that, he would perhaps be a good fit for hibs given your record for bringing players through.

This season will be a big challenge though as some now regard us as being "back where we belong" so can Bollan deal with the Hamiltons, Dundees and Falkirks?

The football is great considering the players we have. I think he does get the best from the players yeah, think of the pressure that has been on him from the board, livi fans and other clubs. For two seasons other teams have played their "cup finals" against us and always bring up the full time thing. He's kept the players focussed on just getting the job done. I think he's a good man manager for sure.

Hibernia Na Eir
29-06-2011, 08:16 AM

cant believe im sayin this but id rather have orange face calderwood than this guy! It wont be either though....

JustSimplyHibs
29-06-2011, 08:19 AM
The guy has a better track record than Michael O'Neil!!!!:aok:

heretoday
29-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Barry Smith of Dundee.

AndyM_1875
29-06-2011, 08:23 AM
cant believe im sayin this but id rather have orange face calderwood than this guy! It wont be either though....

Why?

Bollan is ready for the next step up. That might be with us, then again it might not.

As for the criticism that Permatan Jimmy gets, perhaps we forget his Aberdeen sides were never out of the top 6 and got into the group stages of the UEFA Cup. As well as his experience in Holland and his work with Dunfermline whom he took into the top 6. It's not a bad CV.

I have no idea what Hibs will do though.

marinello59
29-06-2011, 08:27 AM
We know he's inexperienced.

At SPL level.
He would be another gamble and I am not so sure that we are in a position to do that again. If/when a vacancy does occur I would rather see somebody who has a track record in the top division coming in.

Sylar
29-06-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure he'd be ready for the SPL yet.

He has done superbly well at Livingston and some of the football he's had them playing has been nothing short of brilliant!

I'm aware the level of opposition has been at a lesser quality than Livingston, but 3rd and 2nd division clubs can produce cup shocks when they raise their games, and every single club Livi faced in the last 2 seasons played "cup finals" against them.

He's not brought in any new players this season so it'll be a good test to see how they fare in the first division with the same resources they've had the past 2 years, whilst cantering through the leagues.

Maybe after a successful run in the first division with a similar style of football I'd say he was ready for the SPL, but I think he needs another season where he is first.

At The Edge
29-06-2011, 08:31 AM
I'll try and ask him when i'm out walking the dog :wink:, see the Livi team training quite alot on the new 3g pitch up by the Banktons in Livi.

RickyS
29-06-2011, 08:40 AM
He's at a club with vast resources in comparison to the clubs that they have been competing with.

Mixu got promotion at Cowdenbeath and a Finnish club into Europe. Hughes got Falkirk into the SPL, kept them there and reached a Scottish Cup Final. Both more successful and experienced than Bollan yet both couldn't translate that into success within the Hibs framework.

We've tried the 'up and coming' manager for most of the 2000's. It is a strategy that has failed pretty much comprehensively, aside from Mowbray. It's time to change the strategy (along with the recruitment process and method of running the football department).

i vote for you to be part of the recruitment process:top marks

ShanksSaidNo
29-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Here's my Livi mate's take on Bollan...
"He's a good manager for sure"

Is your mate Graeme Souness?

smurf
29-06-2011, 08:45 AM
At SPL level.
He would be another gamble and I am not so sure that we are in a position to do that again. If/when a vacancy does occur I would rather see somebody who has a track record in the top division coming in.

I wouldn't be against a younger guy like this coming in working alongside an 'aulder heid' in a completely new football management structure.

Wellbankhibby
29-06-2011, 08:46 AM
I know these posts are all about opinions but whats wrong with Aiming for the best.
We all have our own opinions who we would like as Manager but there is a lot of negativity regards who would be a suitable candidate for Hibs Boss. The Board are in place to represent Hibernian FC and all who Support our famous club and they are all in very privliged positions. If I was on the board i would want the best Manager we could. There is no problem Hibs aiming High and I will continue to urge the Board to try for Gordon Strachan. It does not matter that he was celtic he was a Hibs man long before he worked for them, he has experience and the personality to build confidence in our squad and he will attract better players to our club. If we fail with GS we should go for Terry Butcher never mind he played for the other side of the old firm that means nothing. For far to long we have been an easy team tobully on the park and on most occasions thats why we lost to Teams much worse than us, we are and have been simply to soft. Strachan or Butcher will not accept this and will bring a winning mentality to our Club. If a New Manager is to be Appointed lets Aim for the Best. I know everyone wont agree with my comments but lets all stick together and give our club 100% Support. :agree:

smurf
29-06-2011, 08:50 AM
I know these posts are all about opinions but whats wrong with Aiming for the best.
We all have our own opinions who we would like as Manager but there is a lot of negativity regards who would be a suitable candidate for Hibs Boss. The Board are in place to represent Hibernian FC and all who Support our famous club and they are all in very privliged positions. If I was on the board i would want the best Manager we could. There is no problem Hibs aiming High and I will continue to urge the Board to try for Gordon Strachan. It does not matter that he was celtic he was a Hibs man long before he worked for them, he has experience and the personality to build confidence in our squad and he will attract better players to our club. If we fail with GS we should go for Terry Butcher never mind he played for the other side of the old firm that means nothing. For far to long we have been an easy team tobully on the park and on most occasions thats why we lost to Teams much worse than us, we are and have been simply to soft. Strachan or Butcher will not accept this and will bring a winning mentality to our Club. If a New Manager is to be Appointed lets Aim for the Best. I know everyone wont agree with my comments but lets all stick together and give our club 100% Support. :agree:

Good post. We need a leader of men. A REAL Manager rather than an inexperienced coach.

In every respect our club needs LEADERSHIP.

Stevie Reid
29-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Sadly, I doubt we could appoint anyone who will not cause upset with about 50% of the posters on here.

Whoever the new guy is (if CC goes) will get my full support. Let's see what happens

basehibby
29-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm very dubious about this idea - OK he's been successful with Livi, but the real test starts this season for them now they're back in a league with similar resources accross the board.

I couldn't care less what teams he played for as a player - simply not an issue - but having already experienced the trials and tribulations of blooding rookie managers at SPL level a number of times over the last decade, I'm very nervous at the prospect of taking on yet another unknown quantity.

It would be a massive gamble - not one that's worth taking IMO.

frazeHFC
29-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Not taking a judgement on him as i have only heard of him, i know nothing of him in management terms.

And regarding Jimmy Calderwood i would be pleased if he got the job, although our SC drought would most likely continue. :greengrin

Golden Bear
29-06-2011, 09:37 AM

:confused:

Jeez we live in sad times.

Assuming that CC actually leaves, then I'd want the best candidate for the job regardless of his background.

Hibby Kay-Yay
29-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Can someone remind me just what Mowbray achieved at Hibs that made him such a success?

allezsauzee
29-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Can someone remind me just what Mowbray achieved at Hibs that made him such a success?
Fantastic football to watch and 3rd place...not good enough?

Golden Bear
29-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Fantastic football to watch and 3rd place...not good enough?

:agree:

Entertainment and value for money also spring to mind.

Prawn Sandwich
29-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Tony Mowbray
Games 108
Won 52 (48.15%)
Drawn 16 (14.81%)
Lost 40 (37.04%)
Goals Scored 191
Goals Lost 145

....... and some of the entertaining football I've seen Hibs play in over 40 years of watching them. On the other hand last season was by far the worse season I've ever watched. The figures below speak volumes.

Colin Calderwood
Games 32
Won 8 (25.00%)
Drawn 6 (18.75%)
Lost 18 (56.25%)
Goals Scored 31
Goals Lost 49

Hibby Kay-Yay
29-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I get the entertainment and Europe, managers since Mowbray have also qualified and had cup success. If Bollan sets his team up to play attractive football which has been confirmed by previous posters...why is he then being dismissed by people on here? Mowbray had no 1st team management experience.

Ray_
29-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I get the entertainment and Europe, managers since Mowbray have also qualified and had cup success. If Bollan sets his team up to play attractive football which has been confirmed by previous posters...why is he then being dismissed by people on here? Mowbray had no 1st team management experience.

It has also been posted that he was the sole success from a number of inexperienced appointments. As well the rightly mentioned entertainment, the feel good factor brought on by Mowbray's team was also very successful in persuading the fans to spend their cash on all aspects of Hibernian FC.

hibeedonald
29-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds OK to me, look at Paul Lambert after being at Livingston

Hibby D
29-06-2011, 10:51 AM

A stand out post :top marks

lucky
29-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I would not be happy with Bolland. GS or TB would be decent but I would go for Jimmy Calderwood

Phil MaGlass
29-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Bollan not really alot of experience at SPL level, cant understand why we would even be thinking of him, he manages a team that are full time against amateurs. Of course they are going to win more than they lose, not saying the guy isnt any good, just saying he doesnt have the right experience. Think someone at The Sun pulled a name out of the air.
As for Calderwood, do me a favour,my Aberdeen mate nearly peed himself last time there was talk of approaching him, Aberdeen fans couldnae wait to get rid of him, it would be another step back in my eyes.

one day maybe...
29-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Get Billy Reid or Butcher, experienced SPL managers who are working on lower budgets than what Hibs can offer. Butcher for me would take no sh*t and could be ideal for Hibs..

Stevie Reid
29-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Going for the best? It's worth remembering that Butcher's record outwith Caley is horrendous. He latterly was rightly praised for his time at Motherwell but they were only in the SPL that season as ICT's stadium did not meet the league requirements - Motherwell had finished bottom of the league.

I'm sure if that relegation had been seen through, many people's opinions would be different - Yogi got slated for nearly taking Falkirk down (after taking them up and making a relative success of things) Butcher has effectively relegated two established SPL teams.

I would support him if he were appointed but as I said before, there's not going to be anyone that more than 50% of the voices on here will support, sadly. I would be delighted with Strachan but even he has been derided by many on here, despite winning the SPL 3 times.

silverhibee
29-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Good post.

If wee are aiming for the best the board should give Walter Smith a phone and see if he would consider taking the Hibs job. :aok:

Jack
29-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Given I’ve never seen or heard of him since his playing days I hope not – is that a crap excuse for not wanting him? If he had been any good I, among many, wouldn’t be saying ‘where is he now?’, ‘what's he done?’.

More than ever we need someone strong to come in and take control; we need someone who will walk onto the training pitch for the first time and not need to introduce himself.

I was saying to a friend yesterday that in all my dealings with the Club they always refer to ‘the manager’. Is that because they cant keep up with who was there last week, who’s here this week, and if there's a change their statements will still make sense next week?

We need someone in who will bring stability.

I know folk have a wee s****** when I mention John Toshack but he’s an older guy who has been and done it all and been on the biggest stages in the world (sorry thats Tom Jones, nah its JT). If we could encourage him to come ‘home’ (family / mother??? in Mussey) and do a 2 or 3 year stint before he hangs the clip board, he probably doesn’t use, (as the ****s have done with laughing boy JJ) then IMO we could/would be in a much stronger place with a solid base for the future beyond JT.

I’ve said that we should use some of the compo to attract a ‘bigger’ manager. Would say an extra £100k pa attract some of the bigger names that have been bandied out?

FFS Hibs! Dae sumthin :agree:

Of course it wouldn’t be like the Sun has picked up on some really old news and Hibs were after Bollan as a #2????

3pm
29-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Ask Strachan. Worst you'll get is a 'No'.

Dinkydoo
29-06-2011, 11:49 AM
IMO, we need an experienced head in the managerial position if we are to ever get out of this bloody transitional period.

Not an ideal candidate for me but isn't the worst that has been suggested.

capitals_finest
29-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Wouldn't pay any attention to this story.

When has the media in general - never mind the Sun - had any idea about a hibs managerial appointment? Usually the board keep their cards close to their chest and like to surprise us...

hibeefan95
29-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Ask Strachan. Worst you'll get is a 'No'.

Would be a great appointment!

IWasThere2016
29-06-2011, 12:02 PM
The guy has a better track record than Michael O'Neil!!!!:aok:

And achieved more than Yogi in a shorter time frame - and arguably CC also - IMO

500miles
29-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Bollan has done good things at Livi. He's taken young players and given them a platform to express themselves, and got real, tangible success in the form of consecutive promotions.
It could have all went horribly wrong. There are guys in that Livi squad barely 20 years old, who will reach 100 appearances for the club in the coming season.

I know of young guys who were given the choice of 1 year deals at SPL teams, or 2 year deals at Livi. One such was a former Hibs youth, who went on trial with St. Johnstone, but was far more impressed with the ethos and training at Livingston.

And that's where any real, lasting success we have will come from. Young players playing good football.

If Gary Bollan was unveiled as Hibs manager tomorrow, it would be a risk - but one with real positive possiblities.

Beefster
29-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Sounds OK to me, look at Paul Lambert after being at Livingston

Ferguson was sacked by St Mirren. Let's get Gus McPherson in.

1987green
29-06-2011, 12:42 PM
As Hibs always go for the cheepest option Compensation would have to be paid for

Butcher
McGlynn
O,Neil

Bollan is not contracted to Livingston so it would cost Hibs nowt :rolleyes:

Beefster
29-06-2011, 12:45 PM
As Hibs always go for the cheepest option Compensation would have to be paid for

Butcher
McGlynn
O,Neil

Compensation (and lots of it apparently) was paid for Calderwood. It was paid for Hughes and Mixu too.

Oscar T Grouch
29-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Good post. We need a leader of men. A REAL Manager rather than an inexperienced coach.

In every respect our club needs LEADERSHIP.

Ambitious but I don't think Jose would be interested in the Hibs job smurf :greengrin

Speedway
29-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Ambitious but I don't think Jose would be interested in the Hibs job smurf :greengrin

Aye but Pep might be.

GloryGlory
29-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Butcher
McGlynn
O,Neil

Yeah, we're only prepared to pay chickenfeed. :greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
29-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Aye but Pep might be.

oops, im just up, leave me alone :wink: