PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst transfer deals Hibs have ever done

R'Albin
28-06-2011, 10:00 PM
In your time of watching Hibs, what has been the best and worst transfer deals Hibs have done? For example-

One of the best- Selling Scott Brown for 4.4 million

One of the worst- Paying 300k for O'Brien

What's everyone else's?

hfc rd
28-06-2011, 10:02 PM
In your time of watching Hibs, what has been the best and worst transfer deals Hibs have done? For example-

One of the worst- 300k for O'Brien

What's everyone else's?

Probably the same as yours.

Jonnyboy
28-06-2011, 10:03 PM

What's everyone else's?

One of the best was buying Arthur Duncan from Partick Thistle for £35k and one of the worst was signing Joe Ward from Aston Villa as part of the deal that took Des Bremner south

Mon Dieu4
28-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Best for me is Ivan for £5k that hattrick was priceless :not worth

Don Giovanni
28-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Was Le God not a bosman signing?

Classy bit o' business.

Diclonius
28-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Best: Signing Smith from Dundee North End surely?

Worst: Mowbray giving Zibi a new contract shortly before he single handedly surrendered a 2-0 lead against Hearts at ER.

Bishop Hibee
28-06-2011, 10:18 PM
£50,000 for Gordon Durie was a steal. Unfortunately so was the £300,000 Chelsea paid us for him 1 year later.

tooley
28-06-2011, 10:19 PM

What's everyone else's?

Hertardo the Tank

lyonhibs
28-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Hertardo the Tank

Best or worst?:greengrin
In my lifetime best = Sauzee or Sproule.
Worst = every single penny we spent on wages for Simon Brown, Zibi and Malkowski. Letting O'Connor go just b4 the SC Semi Final was none too clever either

johnbc70
28-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Scott Brown - £4.4M

O'Brien was a massive let down.

Franck Stanton
28-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Best [in recent years] Sauzee and Latapy
Worst - long list, will cut it down to - Zibby, O'Brien, Harte,

snooky
28-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Best : Alex Edwards for a poke of sweeties
Worst : Alan O'Brien (by a country mile -thanks TC :asshole:)

MountcastleHibs
28-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Best or worst?:greengrin
In my lifetime best = Sauzee or Sproule.
Worst = every single penny we spent on wages for Simon Brown, Zibi and Malkowski. Letting O'Connor go just b4 the SC Semi Final was none too clever either

Zibi and Malkowski? That might explain a whole lot about him.

For me, best: Sproule (at 5k - total and utter steal, and pretty risk free at the time)

Worst (and we'be had plenty of shockers recently): Alan o'Brien

Aubenas
28-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Quite a few good ones, as already mentioned. Worst was bringing Graham Fyffe and Ally Scott from Rangers. Oh dear me!:confused:

sambajustice
28-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Was there not a situation with souness when a boy pretending to be george weah phoned up and recommended a player. Souness signed the guy without watching him and the boy was hopeless?? LOL!

As for Hibs, Best-Latapy
Worst-derek anderson!

Mon Dieu4
28-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Was there not a situation with souness when a boy pretending to be george weah phoned up and recommended a player. Souness signed the guy without watching him and the boy was hopeless?? LOL!

As for Hibs, Best-Latapy
Worst-derek anderson!

Said he was Weah's cousin, Souness signed him then put him on as a sub then had to sub the sub if I recall correctly :faf:

Springbank
28-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Best signing in recent years - youth coach John Park. Handled players unbelievably well, brought through Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, Derek Riordan,Garry O'Connor, Fletcher etc

Worst deal - letting John Park go to Celtc, we turned off the tap

malcky
28-06-2011, 10:54 PM

What's everyone else's?

Andy Goram best andy watson not so good

smurf
28-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Worst Mark Caughey.

malcky
28-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Andy Goram best andy watson not so good

Who was harte

Jones28
28-06-2011, 10:57 PM
best has to be sproule, worst either aob or letting o'connor go before the cup semi

jbwhibs70
28-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Keith wright for me,working with his brother in pipecoaters ,one of the first to hear the news .sailed through rest of shift

malcky
28-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Worst Mark Caughey.

he was bad

snooky
28-06-2011, 11:01 PM
best has to be sproule, worst either aob or letting o'connor go before the cup semi

In Rod we trust. :ostrich:

vein
28-06-2011, 11:28 PM

As for Hibs, Best-Latapy
Worst-derek anderson!

I thought Derek Anderson did quite well for us.

MCC Hibs
28-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Best deal ever.....getting £300,000 off the ****bos for Brian hamilton and his sweaty sticky-up hair!!!

stu in nottingham
28-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Up there with the worst deals: J-O-E H-A-R-P-E-R :wink:

Billy McKirdy
29-06-2011, 02:10 AM
Worst Mark Caughey.

I mind at the time that Alex Miller thought so highly of him that he flew to Albequerque in New Mexico, where the Northern Ireland World Cup Squad were at an acclimatisation camp before Mexico 86 to sign the said "Superstar" Mark Caughey :na na:, on the face of it, a World Cup star like Caughey was (according to the Evening News) a big thing for a club like Hibs :greengrin, I dont iirc him ever having a good game for us :confused:

KWJ
29-06-2011, 02:47 AM
In my time

Best - Latapy.

Worst - Agathe's short term deal :boo hoo:

confused
29-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Worst Mark Caughey. "could'nt kick hens oot a close "
Best ?? Faither Joe McBride, ? Juke Box ? Naw it's got to be Arthur Duncan we got him for 10/- ,and he was here for ???????????????? i think he might be still under the main stand in a room !

Pete
29-06-2011, 04:56 AM
Best signing in recent years - youth coach John Park. Handled players unbelievably well, brought through Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, Derek Riordan,Garry O'Connor, Fletcher etc

Have to agree. Still annoys me.

Gala Foxes
29-06-2011, 05:05 AM
in the mid 80's we sold Gordon Durie to Chelsea and then announced that we had bought the new Famous Five :

(1) Mark Caughey - a dud
(2) Billy Kirkwood - a guy who never got out of 1st gear let alone second
(3) Willie Irvine (the 2nd) - scored on his debut then I don't think ever again
(4) Stuart Beedie - only impact was taking that tackle from Souness
(5) George McCluskey - the only one of the 5 that turned out to be a good signing

Lucius Apuleius
29-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Erich Schaedler the best (7k IIRC). The worst? So so many.

Hibs On Tour
29-06-2011, 06:48 AM

100%. Whit he said! :agree: :top marks

Allant1981
29-06-2011, 06:54 AM
The best deal i have seen at ER has to be getting sauzee in, doubt i will ever see someone so good play for hibs again, worst deal for me has to be signing simon brown, the guy was utter garbage

Joy Zipper
29-06-2011, 07:24 AM
in the mid 80's we sold Gordon Durie to Chelsea and then announced that we had bought the new Famous Five :

(1) Mark Caughey - a dud
(5) George McCluskey - the only one of the 5 that turned out to be a good signing

Ahhhh, Beastie McCluskey - a cult hero if ever there was one ! :aok:

Ray_
29-06-2011, 07:35 AM

What about Jim Blair Stu? Cost more than half the money we got for the immensely talented Peter Cormack, IMHO the worst piece of business Hibs have ever done. Pre-Petrie of course:wink:

Sooo many good ones, Wee Mickey for 12k, Alan Gordon the same, Arthur Duncan costing a third of what we got for Marinello, Shades 7k. But I think the biggest impact had to be Joe McBride, the hibs support rocked by Stein's defection to Rankers, eight goals in three games matched Stein's start at Hunbox, for a tenth of the cost.

brog
29-06-2011, 08:15 AM
What about Jim Blair Stu? Cost more than half the money we got for the immensely talented Peter Cormack, IMHO the worst piece of business Hibs have ever done. Pre-Petrie of course:wink:

Sooo many good ones, Wee Mickey for 12k, Alan Gordon the same, Arthur Duncan costing a third of what we got for Marinello, Shades 7k. But I think the biggest impact had to be Joe McBride, the hibs support rocked by Stein's defection to Rankers, eight goals in three games matched Stein's start at Hunbox, for a tenth of the cost.

You just pre-empted me Ray. I was thinking about the Tornadoes & how many were bought. In addition to those above I think we signed Herriott on a free & paid £20-30K for Jim Black. With the possible exception of Black, (I still believe we would have won the league with a top class CH), those are amongst the best ever signings for Hibs & if memory serves me correct Shades & Arthur were bought by Willie Mac.
PS, I agree entirely about Jim Blair though I still think fondly of his 2 goals in a 3-2 win over Huns & his part in Willie Johnston getting sent off in that game, mind you that wasn't too hard.:greengrin

jdships
29-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Sammy Baird
Almost single handedly saved Hibs from relegation

" His Rangers career, during which he scored 52 goals in 179 appearances, came to an end in October 1960 when he was sold to Hibs for £5,000. Signed to replace Bobby Johnstone, one of the "Famous Five" forward line who had left Hibs for the second time, Baird proved a stabilising influence on the Easter Road side who were facing a relegation battle when he joined them. Baird helped them climb the table and was part of the side which famously defeated Barcelona 7-6 on aggregate in the European Fairs Cup before losing in a play-off to Roma in the semi-finals."

Died: 21 April, 2010, in Bangor, Northern Ireland, aged 79.

Maybe not the worst but certainly the biggest disappointment was O'Brien

Stevie Reid
29-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Thankfully there are many contenders for best in my time but I would also go for Ivan - his impact and sell on value after a £5K transfer was excellent.

Worst? Again, many contenders, I think most of Jim Duffy's signings were right up there, not just the quality of player but the fees paid for them. Worst of all I would say would be selling McAllister for £25K and then buying Paul Tosh to replace him at £200K. Was also very hard to see Mickey Weir being freed, only to watch him run the show at Ibrox as Motherwell beat Rangers 2-0 at Ibrox to delay the 9 in a row celebrations and effectively condemn us to the relegation play off.

CallumLaidlaw
29-06-2011, 09:03 AM
As far as transfer "deals" -

Doubling our money on de la cruz in 12 months was very well done.

Worst - losing agathe for £50k after signing him on a very short term contract

khib70
29-06-2011, 09:10 AM
:agree:By a country mile.

Congratulations, sir, you beat both me and Doddie to that one!:greengrin

frazeHFC
29-06-2011, 09:11 AM

What's everyone else's?

Seriously - £300k ???

By far the worst is O'Brien then.

Ivan was a steal at just £5k.

I also agree with the John Park one. We should have offered high wages to make him stay, higher than any player at the club.

ginger_rice
29-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Quite a few good ones, as already mentioned. Worst was bringing Graham Fyffe and Ally Scott from Rangers. Oh dear me!:confused:

I'd go along with that one and IIRC as a swap for Ian Munro too so bad business both ways.

Kojock
29-06-2011, 09:14 AM

Thats the one I would go for not only did we get theses two we gave them Ian Munro as part of the deal. :confused:

One of the best deals although at the time I was totally gutted was Pat Stanton going to Darkheid and us getting Jackie MacNamara in exchange. Pat was coming to the end of his career and only had a couple of years left while Jackie Mac turned out be superb for us.

R'Albin
29-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Seriously - £300k ???

Well that was what was reported on here anyway.

Kojock
29-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I'd go along with that one and IIRC as a swap for Ian Munro too so bad business both ways.

Snap GR - As for mentioning Yohan Cruyff in your signature, I remember the Hibs fans used to chant Yohan, Yohan, Yohan FYFFE. I think they might have been ripping the pash. :wink:

Luna Landing
29-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Best - Alex Edwards - best player never to play for Scotland

Worst - David Elliot ; I heard Alex Totten drove him to Easter Road to make sure he didnt change his mind 100K plus Crunchie - unbelievable

allezsauzee
29-06-2011, 04:42 PM

(1) Mark Caughey - a dud
Disagree slightly...I thought all 5 were utter pash

macca70
29-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Worst - Ray Wilkins

I'm sure that to this day he's still not moved out that centre circle!!

Having seen the disasters we have had between the sticks in recent years, I suppose you would have to say Rough, Goram and Leighton were all decent signings.

Jonnyboy
29-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I mind at the time that Alex Miller thought so highly of him that he flew to Albequerque in New Mexico, where the Northern Ireland World Cup Squad were at an acclimatisation camp before Mexico 86 to sign the said "Superstar" Mark Caughey :na na:, on the face of it, a World Cup star like Caughey was (according to the Evening News) a big thing for a club like Hibs :greengrin, I dont iirc him ever having a good game for us :confused:

It was Kenny Waugh that flew to the States, not Miller. Apparently Lexo was denied a visa on the grounds that he was a greetin faced bassa :greengrin

Iggy Pope
29-06-2011, 08:39 PM
£25K (I think) for the footballing god that was Alistair MacLeod is among the best for me. Sublime......

http://video.stv.tv/bc/sport-football-20081202-motherwell-hibs-1978/

Bobby Hutchison figures prominently here too and he might be amongst the worst as I seem to recall it involved Shades going to Dundee in the deal. Ridiculous......

stanton_4
29-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Best - Franck. Inspired signing at just the right time. I doubt we'll ever be able to sign a player of that quality and experience again.
Worst - Mark Caughy. Less said the better.

Bostonhibby
29-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Was scratching my heid for the worst then you reminded me of this, and both at the same time! I think Ian Munro went the other way as part of this "deal" and he was Hibs class.

Worst out for me was Jimmy O'Rourke, the timing of it and him coming back and scoring against us when he did, never will understand how we came to let him go.

Stonewall
29-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Yup.

snooky
29-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Was scratching my heid for the worst then you reminded me of this, and both at the same time! I think Ian Munro went the other way as part of this "deal" and he was Hibs class.

Worst out for me was Jimmy O'Rourke, the timing of it and him coming back and scoring against us when he did, never will understand how we came to let him go.

I'm still hurting over Rocky's departure.
Disgraceful.

heidtheba
29-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Thankfully there are many contenders for best in my time but I would also go for Ivan - his impact and sell on value after a £5K transfer was excellent.

Worst? Again, many contenders, I think most of Jim Duffy's signings were right up there, not just the quality of player but the fees paid for them. Worst of all I would say would be selling McAllister for £25K and then buying Paul Tosh to replace him at £200K. Was also very hard to see Mickey Weir being freed, only to watch him run the show at Ibrox as Motherwell beat Rangers 2-0 at Ibrox to delay the 9 in a row celebrations and effectively condemn us to the relegation play off.

This!
Perhaps not selling Michael O'Neill for 1.6 mil to Coventry then him going for peanuts the following year.

Lavetty also maybe - did okish but wasn't worth the hype

hibbysam
29-06-2011, 10:34 PM

People have been blinded by this methinks!

Park had nothing to do with these players "coming through" thats what the coaches are for.. Park has taken so much credit for other's work its actually unbelievable.. and "we turned off the tap" i give you hanlon booth wotherspoon and now the likes of handling smith welsh etc breaking through!

WindyMiller
29-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Best ; Joe baker from Armadale for pennies and 102 goals in 117 league games, plus 4 in one game against the best Hertz team ever, to put them oot the Cup.:top marks

Worst ; Joe Harper , £100,000 (at '70's prices :faint:) for a fat, lardy *******!

FRANTECH
30-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Best ; Joe baker from Armadale for pennies and 102 goals in 117 league games, plus 4 in one game against the best Hertz team ever, to put them oot the Cup.:top marks

Worst ; Joe Harper , £100,000 (at '70's prices :faint:) for a fat, lardy *******!

David Murphy, cost nothing was superb for us & thought enough about the club to sign a new deal to ensure we obtained a transfer fee ( million +) as a thanks for getting his career back on track.

erin go bragh
30-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Disagree slightly...I thought all 5 were utter pash
beastie boy pish ? behave yoursel , the guy was brilliant, but slower than a week in the jail, but could keep the ball for fun :agree: also had a mental bus that followed him everywhere .
ggtth

DH1875
01-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I thought Derek Anderson did quite well for us.

Think you must be thinking about Daniel Andersson cause there's no chance anyone can think Derek Anderson was good. To be fair though we've not half signed some crap over the years. Can anyone remember how much we paid for Konde? Don't think it was as much as O'Brien but sure it was up there. Anyone singed on a free doesn't count when we're spending thousands on the likes of these duds.

As for the best. You can't beat Sauzee. A first divison club and on a free transfer :thumbsup:. Ivan might only have been £5k but it was £5k more :greengrin.

jdships
01-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Think you must be thinking about Daniel Andersson cause there's no chance anyone can think Derek Anderson was good. To be fair though we've not half signed some crap over the years. Can anyone remember how much we paid for Konde? Don't think it was as much as O'Brien but sure it was up there. Anyone singed on a free doesn't count when we're spending thousands on the likes of these duds.

As for the best. You can't beat Sauzee. A first divison club and on a free transfer :thumbsup:. Ivan might only have been £5k but it was £5k more :greengrin.

Do you honestly think that Sauzee came to ER for nothing ?
At the time his signing on fee being quoted was over £70000.
Still up there in the top ten signings at ER in the past 50 years
There is no such thing as a "free lunch" as far as signing players on a Bosman/Free Transfer is concerned :greengrin

:flag:
Every player gets a signing on fee and always has done .

vein
01-07-2011, 08:02 PM

No I'm quite sure I'm thinking of Derek Anderson that played right back for us :wink:

He done a job for us, no way would I say he was amongst our worst ever signings, especially when reading through some of the names on this thread!

Callum_62
01-07-2011, 08:25 PM
No I'm quite sure I'm thinking of Derek Anderson that played right back for us :wink:

He done a job for us, no way would I say he was amongst our worst ever signings, especially when reading through some of the names on this thread!

That was Derek Collins.....Derek Anderson was a centre half...

keep the faith
01-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Best - Darren Jackson for me. He cost 400k but we got 5 years, over 50 goals and he single handedly kept us in the SPL his last year. Away fans hated him, he netted a few screamers, played for Scotland and we got 1.25M when he left. Now thats a good signing!

Worst - OBrien. His cost to the club (signing on fee/wages medical treatment) to actual contribution (one cross) ratio was utterly outrageous. Worst signing ever by miles and miles.

vein
01-07-2011, 10:20 PM
That was Derek Collins.....Derek Anderson was a centre half...

:doh:

What a fud I am!

marleyhib
01-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Best deal ever.....getting £300,000 off the ****bos for Brian hamilton and his sweaty sticky-up hair!!!

Have to agree, I never got that at all - he was total mince for us and for them

marleyhib
01-07-2011, 11:16 PM
The good - Pat McGinlay, loved him - Keith, Mixu, Murph, Ivan, Russell, Franck, Darren Jackson, John O'Neill and I always thought Murdo McLeoad was a good signing

I can't bring myself to think of the bad there have been many but Ray Wilkins and Konte both still give me nightmares.

weecounty hibby
02-07-2011, 10:29 AM
£25K (I think) for the footballing god that was Alistair MacLeod is among the best for me. Sublime......

http://video.stv.tv/bc/sport-football-20081202-motherwell-hibs-1978/

Bobby Hutchison figures prominently here too and he might be amongst the worst as I seem to recall it involved Shades going to Dundee in the deal. Ridiculous......
:agree: Ally Macleod was a genius and almost 100 goals for Hibs too, a real hero of mine.

As an aside how good does that strip look compared to the monstrosity we have now?

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Best - Darren Jackson for me. He cost 400k but we got 5 years, over 50 goals and he single handedly kept us in the SPL his last year. Away fans hated him, he netted a few screamers, played for Scotland and we got 1.25M when he left. Now thats a good signing!

Worst - OBrien. His cost to the club (signing on fee/wages medical treatment) to actual contribution (one cross) ratio was utterly outrageous. Worst signing ever by miles and miles.

Come on, how dare you forget the way he tracked back and tackled that gretna player? :wink:

Holmesdale Hibs
02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
We did ok from De la Cruz - signed for 700k (although GJP said it was alot less), he was alright and we got £2M for him. Obviously Ivan for 5k and David Murphy for free are bargains.

Worst - Alan O'Brian and Hurtado. Thank **** Bobby Mann is not on this list.

ballengeich
03-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Best :- One of Lex's first signings was Graham Mitchell. £35,000 iirc and gave us 10 years of good service including the League Cup win. Great value and 100% effort every game.

Worst :- A tie between the group Jim Duffy brought in and the group John Collins bought.

Winston Ingram
03-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Really - not exactly a stream of kids coming off the production line at Celtic since he went there has there:aok:

Winston Ingram
03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Best :- One of Lex's first signings was Graham Mitchell. £35,000 iirc and gave us 10 years of good service including the League Cup win. Great value and 100% effort every game.

Worst :- A tie between the group Jim Duffy brought in and the group John Collins bought.

...and Jocky Scott. Rab Shannon, Davie Elliott, Jamie McQuilken:taxi

fat freddy
03-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Lee Power...or as his mum called him when he pished on the toilet seat...Pee Lower

Winston Ingram
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM

What's everyone else's?

...after add-ons I'm pretty sure it was £5.5m:agree:

I still think if he went to the Prem he'd have been phenomenal. Wasted his career playing for those manky *******s

Cletus
03-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Two shockers:

Allowing Gordon Smith to leave

Mark McGraw

Septimus
05-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Willie Ormond must have been one of our better buys.

On the negative front Cooper (from St.Mirren?) was a big disappointment to me but the one that hurt most was when Tommy Younger left.