PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Trying To Sign Airey Regardless

Speedway
28-06-2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/06/28/hibernian-ready-to-make-move-for-phil-airey-72703-28954216/

silverhibee
28-06-2011, 12:41 PM
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/06/28/hibernian-ready-to-make-move-for-phil-airey-72703-28954216/

Thats a strange one. :wink:

500miles
28-06-2011, 01:02 PM
The fact is that we've lost so many players, that the board will continue to persue Calderwood's targets until a new man is in the door.
IF a new man is in the door....
It's all dragging on a bit.

kidster
28-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Perhaps Calderwood has no intention of going and he's using this 'opportunity' to put pressure on the board to bring home some of his targets... Good way for him to get what he wants, and if the board want Calderwood then going for his targets signal their intent for him to stay.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Perhaps Calderwood has no intention of going and he's using this 'opportunity' to put pressure on the board to bring home some of his targets... Good way for him to get what he wants, and if the board want Calderwood then going for his targets signal their intent for him to stay.

If he had no intention of leaving, dont you think he'd have put it to bed by now?

PeterboroHibee
28-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Bit weird to be looking to bring in a boy on loan when it appears the manager is off. Does sound like a decent prospect but if we have to get a new manager, would it not make more sense for him to be allowed to bring in his own players?

Wilson
28-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Bit weird to be looking to bring in a boy on loan when it appears the manager is off. Does sound like a decent prospect but if we have to get a new manager, would it not make more sense for him to be allowed to bring in his own players?

I imagine the amount of background work that has been put in, coupled with the finite length of a transfer window, might dictate that signings which are close to completion are made regardless.

In the case of a loan signing, and given the gaps in our squad, that may not be a bad thing.

Just how much time has a new manager got to assess our squad and source new players? Seeing as it took Calderwood much of the season to figure out what we all knew - that most of our squad needed punted - I would say more time than he is going to get...

cam75
28-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Good to see the coments of NUFC fans they rea
lly slate our game up here,better he went to Hartlepool,not every game in EPL is good,awash with money, over rated and over payed players.Give me Hibs V Ross county on a cold midweek night anytime.

JimBHibees
28-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a regurgitated story to me. Would imagine if Calderwood left it may change things. Some of the comments are quite funny a boy saying Airey should come round his back garden to have a kickabout with his young kids and it would be a better standard than SPL. Quite funny though given some of the junk the Toon have served up in recent years with a 50k support and massive Sky tv money glasshouses and all that.

magpie1892
28-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Good to see the coments of NUFC fans they rea
lly slate our game up here,better he went to Hartlepool,not every game in EPL is good,awash with money, over rated and over payed players.Give me Hibs V Ross county on a cold midweek night anytime.

I'm an NUFC season-ticket holder and I've been watching Hibs for 20+ years. I have to say that while there's a certain amount of ignorance about Scottish football the minute you step over the Border, I can tell you that the current standard of the SPL is as poor as I have seen it.

Personally I think ER would be perfect for Airey, so I'll disagree with my compatriots here, but what relevance your comments about the EPL have to this situation escapes me.

CallumLaidlaw
28-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Sounds like a regurgitated story to me. Would imagine if Calderwood left it may change things. Some of the comments are quite funny a boy saying Airey should come round his back garden to have a kickabout with his young kids and it would be a better standard than SPL. Quite funny though given some of the junk the Toon have served up in recent years with a 50k support and massive Sky tv money glasshouses and all that.

All they're doing is copying what their manager said about the Scottish game a few weeks ago.
I have watched some of the epl games ad they have been dreadful viewing.

Dibben
28-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Perhaps the new guy has given the go ahead to sign Airey?

KWJ
28-06-2011, 04:36 PM
It is a bit of a shame to see some of the comments about the SPL and it could impact on us getting loan players when that's the view. I do believe that Hibs, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Arabs, Aberdeen would be good moves for lads like Airey but if the people around them are saying otherwise it becomes tough.

Hype is important for a league and the EPL is best at it, the championship is also very good at it while the SPL simply can't find a way to stir any up whatsoever. Our league is still an embarrassment and it will continue to be until the SPL/SFA give us a reason to get excited about it and the Scottish fans start defending it and talking it up.

Never going to happen in a <16 team league though.

Caversham Green
28-06-2011, 04:36 PM
All the relevant quotes from the article:

HIBERNIAN are ready to pounce for Newcastle’s teenage hot-shot Phil Airey – but they will have to wait until the end of the Magpies’ pre-season programme.

Hibs’ Scottish Premier League campaign begins on July 23, but United will be on tour in the United States during this time and Pardew is keen to use the friendlies to experiment – with Airey set to feature.

It remains to be seen whether the potential departure of Calderwood to Birmingham as Chris Hughton’s new assistant would affect the Airey deal, but interest from the Edinburgh club was strong back in January.

In other words, the Calderwood situation will be resolved one way or the other long before any thought is given to bringing Airey in. The best that could be said is that options may be being kept open.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I imagine the amount of background work that has been put in, coupled with the finite length of a transfer window, might dictate that signings which are close to completion are made regardless.

In the case of a loan signing, and given the gaps in our squad, that may not be a bad thing.

Just how much time has a new manager got to assess our squad and source new players? Seeing as it took Calderwood much of the season to figure out what we all knew - that most of our squad needed punted - I would say more time than he is going to get...

Exactly, any decent manager could have seen some of them were never good enough, much quicker than clueless did. I mean Smith in goals, how many times did he have to watch him before he could tell he was bloody hopeless?