PDA

View Full Version : IF CC Walks Out On The Club (Merged Threads)

Speedway
28-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Who is your prefered option as the new manager and why?

bawheid
28-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Gordon Strachan.

Edinburgh boy.
Knows the club.
Knows the league.
High profile.
Contacts in England.
Most successful Celtic manager since Stein.

As a candidate he's head and shoulders above the rest IMO. Which probably means we'd have no chance of getting him!

Gatecrasher
28-06-2011, 08:56 AM
i dont think Gordon Strachan or Steve Clarke are realistic targets. I think Terry Butcher will do a good job as he is used to working under a budget has done quite well at each Scottish club he has been at and has a good knowledge of the Scottish Leagues.

smurf
28-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Gordon Strachan.

After Celtc i'm not much of a fan of his as a person.

However, IMHO since GJP left we've not had 'leadership' at ER. We need someone with a bit of presence to walk into ER/EM. And he's got that.

It would be an appointment that would signal 'Intent' from the boardroom.

For him i think we are perfect for where he is in his career.

After what happened to him at Boro i'm not so sure any Championship side with Premiership aspirations will touch him.

In the Premiership his value has been diminished also.

The Scottish national job is safe with Harry Potter.

Abroad? Possibly...

Why Hibs? He is an Edinburgh boy. A schoolboy Hibby. But it wouldn't be an emotional appointment for him...

It would be the perfect vehicle for him to rebuild his reputation and stock. Should he get us where we realistically should be (competing 3rd - 4th) with Cup runs then it would not be impossible for him to use us as the vehicle back into English football.

If that were to happen then great as he was obviously successful with us.

Spike Mandela
28-06-2011, 08:57 AM
None of the obvious as listed in the poll:yawn:

Hopefully the Hibs recruitment process can come up with something 'outside the box'.

R'Albin
28-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I would like Billy Davies, although I highly doubt he would come.

Phil MaGlass
28-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Gordon strachan
Walter Smith
John Collins?

drumatic44
28-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Got to be Strachan,
1) got a house in Edinburgh
2) hibby all his life , but never got the chance to play for us.
3) might fancy the ultimate challenge, winning the Scottish Cup for Hibs.
4) Older head could bring on a young 'un to take over from him when he evetually gets the Scotland job.

Steve20
28-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Got to be Strachan,
1) got a house in Edinburgh
2) hibby all his life , but never got the chance to play for us.

I'm not against Strachan, but those two are not reasons why he should get offered the job.

Benny Brazil
28-06-2011, 09:05 AM
I voted other - the only one in the list who I would like is Clarke but there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that he will leave Liverpool to come here.
The rest of the list is very uninspiring.

Jocky Scott?? Jeez are things that bad or was that one tongue in cheek.

So who would I want - to be honest I don't know.
And am getting to the point where I couldn't care who it is - as long as we get someone who is going to commit to the club, get the team playing a decent level of football and someone who isn't going to jump ship after 9-12months.

Speedway
28-06-2011, 09:10 AM
None of the obvious as listed in the poll:yawn:

Hopefully the Hibs recruitment process can come up with something 'outside the box'.

Jim Gannon is straight out of leftfield.

offshorehibby
28-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I've went with Steve Clarke although i think this is just fantasy as i think wage and budget would be a factor.

I've always been against Strachan because apart from celtic he's been a bit of a disaster at a couple of clubs. Although i'm sure i read somewhere he's not keen on taking on a big gig down south. Maybe with his father passing away recently he might fancy the Hibs job keeps him close to Edinburgh. Don't know if he will be able to work in the bargain basement/Bosmin market.

Then there's the O'Neil/McInnes/McParland options. O'Neil & McInnes both up & coming managers although McInnes could be off down south at the drop of a hat.
McParland, a dark horse, very good coaching experience, from the Edinburgh area and a Hibby.

Wilson
28-06-2011, 09:22 AM
It is hard to see past Bobby Williamson.

I don't want him as manager - I was just pointing out that fact.

Beefster
28-06-2011, 09:23 AM
The type of manager we need is outside the budget and ambition that Hibs have IMHO, I'm afraid.

If Calderwood leaves, we'll more than likely end up with someone who applied when Mixu or Hughes left.

heretoday
28-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Barry Smith of Dundee.

He has just signed a new contract but that doesn't mean anything does it?

Speedway
28-06-2011, 09:24 AM
If you were Strachan, having done what you've done - why on earth would you take the Hibs job?

It would be like completing Grand Theft Auto on the XBox 360 and then being asked to play nothing but Grand Prix 1 on the Spectrum 48k.

bingo70
28-06-2011, 09:26 AM
The type of manager we need is outside the budget and ambition that Hibs have IMHO, I'm afraid.

If Calderwood leaves, we'll more than likely end up with someone who applied when Mixu or Hughes left.

Why?

All the best managers have to start somewhere, imo we just need to find one on the way up not one thats on their way down or stalling time until their pension comes through

Velma Dinkley
28-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Dave Jones, Billy Davies or Gordon Strachan. Or someone out of leftfield like Neil Barnes or Paul Daley.

Beefster
28-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Why?

All the best managers have to start somewhere, imo we just need to find one on the way up not one thats on their way down or stalling time until their pension comes through

The time has come when we need a proven leader and someone with the balls and power to change the footballing side of the club. These generally aren't guys who are inexperienced.

I don't believe that Hibs have either the budget to pay one of these types or the desire to have someone take charge and change the way the footballing side runs.

Speedway
28-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Dave Jones, Billy Davies or Gordon Strachan. Or someone out of leftfield like Neil Barnes or Paul Daley.

Knowing Hibs, we'll probably end up with John Barnes or Arthur Daley.

cabbageandribs1875
28-06-2011, 09:33 AM
gogs strachan, come on down

Godsahibby
28-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Anyone but Jimmy Calderwood!

johnrebus
28-06-2011, 10:07 AM
If you were Strachan, having done what you've done - why on earth would you take the Hibs job?

It would be like completing Grand Theft Auto on the XBox 360 and then being asked to play nothing but Grand Prix 1 on the Spectrum 48k.

Nice to see you have such a high opinion of our club.

:whistle:

yekimevol
28-06-2011, 10:14 AM
davies- he has a good record, he took preston to the playoff twice, got derby promoted and took nottingham forrest to the playoffs twice. sounds like a good track record to me.

Spike Mandela
28-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Jim Gannon is straight out of leftfield.

So was Mowbray.

Andy74
28-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Being a Hibs fan would be the only thing. A bit like why O'Connor would come here for a bit, couldn't see him being tempted by Motherwell or Inverness.

Phil MaGlass
28-06-2011, 11:11 AM

Simple, the challenge, they dont come more challenging than the Scottish Cup or Hibs do they. If you really want to prove a point ,make a name,get noticed you should be working at teams like Hibs.

Hibstrooper
28-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Derek McInness
+ Took St Johnstone from 1st to SPL
+ Turned them into an established SPL club from a Yo Yo club
+ Challenges for top 6 with a small team
+ Probably would make top 6 if they had more strikers
+ Knows the league inside out

- Already on the radar of Championship clubs down south so we'd probably be looking again in a couple of seasons

Franck is God
28-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I chose JC although I don't think Calderwood will leave, if he has an ambition to be a manager in the Premiership then leaving a number 1 job in the SPL for a number 2 job in the Championship is a backward step career wise.

One good season with Hibs and he could walk into a top Chamionship club as a manager next summer, two good seasons and he might be on a few shortlists for a Prem job.

bawheid
28-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Derek McInness

- Already on the radar of Championship clubs down south so we'd probably be looking again in a couple of seasons

Hmmm. Replace "St Johnstone" with "Falkirk" and who does that sound like...?

basehibby
28-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I've opted for Strachan - reasons:

Experienced manager at clubs larger than Hibs and leagues bigger than the SPL
Has shown he can handle pressure while at the Smellies
Well respected within the game
contacts in Scotland, England and elsewhere
Hibby - knows what the club is about
Out of a job and might actually swing for it - this would not necessarily be the case so it's an opportunity that might not come up again.

Hibstrooper
28-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Alex Totten :agree: :greengrin

SRHibs
28-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Hmm, not sure about that. Falkirk were in a relegation dogfight with Yogi most of the time, weren't the?

bawheid
28-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Hmm, not sure about that. Falkirk were in a relegation dogfight with Yogi most of the time, weren't the?

In his final season, yeah. Prior to that they were a comfortable SPL side pushing for top six, much like St Johnstone.

Stevie Reid
28-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Under Yogi in the SPL Falkirk finished 10th, 7th, 7th and 10th. The year we won the League Cup Falkirk actually finished with more points than us.

Just because things didn't work out for Yogi with us, it doesn't mean he wasn't a good manager for Falkirk.

Speedway
28-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Nice to see you have such a high opinion of our club.

:whistle:

True though.

Derek McInness

I was just about to remark....

But the 'Heid beat me to it.

Hibstrooper
28-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I was just about to remark....

But the 'Heid beat me to it.

It doesn't mean that he would be just like Hughes though. He would still be my pick from a limited and unexciting list.

3pm
28-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Being a Hibs fan would be the only thing. A bit like why O'Connor would come here for a bit, couldn't see him being tempted by Motherwell or Inverness.

Maybe. I certainly think it's worth putting the question to him though.

Like everyone, he'll like money but I am nou sure it's his sole motivation (see waiving the cash at Boro and Gibson singing his praises). He said when he took the Boro job he was after a challenge and could have went for something more lucrative had he wanted to...

...you won't get more of a challenge than Hibs at this time. While I wouldn't be a fan of it, I am sure the Hibs gig would allow him to carry out TV work, probably part time, as well.

What's the worst that can happen?! He says no.

Andy74
28-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Under Yogi in the SPL Falkirk finished 10th, 7th, 7th and 10th. The year we won the League Cup Falkirk actually finished with more points than us.

Just because things didn't work out for Yogi with us, it doesn't mean he wasn't a good manager for Falkirk.

As well as 4th with Hibs in his only full season.

Sure he didn't turn things around when we started to fall away but there isn't half some extreme nonsense talked about Hughes.

Worst home record ever gets brought out, yes, playing with the East Terrace gone, Stack, McBride and Zemmama injured and Bamba coming back from the ANC with his head full of mince.

We also had, before Bamba going to Africa, our best defensive record in decades, Riordan getting 15 or so goals from left midfield and Stokes amongst the top scorers in the SPL, and for the first half of the season McBride, Miller and Zemmama playing some great stuff in midfield.

Not that any of that seems to be good enough these days but if it's not then don't hold your breath because we are currently a long way from even being able to match the rubbish that people seemed to think they were watching with Hughes.

Joe
28-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Billy Reid. Couldn't have done better with Hamilton than he did. Took a team with gates smaller than Ross County to 7th in the SPL and did it, especially in the first divison playing good football.

Stevie Reid
28-06-2011, 12:23 PM
As well as 4th with Hibs in his only full season.

Sure he didn't turn things around when we started to fall away but there isn't half some extreme nonsense talked about Hughes.

Worst home record ever gets brought out, yes, playing with the East Terrace gone, Stack, McBride and Zemmama injured and Bamba coming back from the ANC with his head full of mince.

We also had, before Bamba going to Africa, our best defensive record in decades, Riordan getting 15 or so goals from left midfield and Stokes amongst the top scorers in the SPL, and for the first half of the season McBride, Miller and Zemmama playing some great stuff in midfield.

Not that any of that seems to be good enough these days but if it's not then don't hold your breath because we are currently a long way from even being able to match the rubbish that people seemed to think they were watching with Hughes.

Judging by the comments made on the other threads about Collins and Alex Miller, who both carried out the rare act of winning us a trophy, managers who have achieved tangible success with Hibs are not even well regarded.

I wouldn't want Miller, JC or Hughes back as manager as they all had their faults and have served their time, but it's hugely unjust that many do not give them the credit that they deserve for their achievements, whilst hammering them for their failures. A bit of balance would be nice.

sahib
28-06-2011, 12:31 PM

That's really not fair. They are individuals, any similarity in their CVs is meaningless.

Speedway
28-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Strachan easily in the lead despite being a tracksuit manager :bitchy:

silverhibee
28-06-2011, 12:55 PM

His local golf club is rife with rumours he will be the new man. :wink: :aok:

Speedway
28-06-2011, 01:00 PM

No chance of re-signing Deek if he is!!

SteveHFC
28-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Butcher :agree:

allezsauzee
28-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Bobby Williamson

silverhibee
28-06-2011, 01:31 PM
No chance of re-signing Deek if he is!!

They are having a wee round just now. :greengrin :faf:

J-C
28-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Forget all the crap when he was at Celtic, I heard he hated the weegie press and all the nonsense that goes with the OF management, he loved winding them up no end, good Hibby with bags of experience.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Forget all the crap when he was at Celtic, I heard he hated the weegie press and all the nonsense that goes with the OF management, he loved winding them up no end, good Hibby with bags of experience.

Not too keen on Derek though. :wink:

Geo_1875
28-06-2011, 03:03 PM
If CC leaved I think the only option is to let Rod Petrie take control of the footballing side of the club. He must be desperate to prove that the last 3-4 managers he appointed just weren't up to the job. After all they all said they were happy with the budget and were given the opportunity to bring in their own players. And each achieved the square root of sod all. It's the natural next step Rod. Step in there and prove it can be done. A decent league position and a cup final (we don't even have to win it). Finish 3rd or 4th playing decent football and they'll be queuing up for the job next time you advertise.

J-C
28-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Not too keen on Derek though. :wink:

Well Derek did make it easy for WGS to shaft him after he allegedly shafted someone close to WGS, also knew his family from Pilton. :wink:

greenginger
28-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Strachan sounded in last weeks Scotsman piece that he had put the slippers on and was looking for a quiet life with the family. Did'nt sound like he was looking for a new challenge at all.

Billy Davies would get the players playing all right and I could live with the fact he's a wee hun who would be off to Govan at the drop of a sash.
The problem is I heard he was nearly boxing with the Notts Forest Board because he was'nt getting his own way.
We would be having another new manager thread before the clocks change !

Butcher maybe, M. O'neil don't know enough about his manager abilities.

John Collins without Tommy Craig and not picking any new signings would just about get my vote :greengrin

Beefster
28-06-2011, 03:56 PM
If CC leaved I think the only option is to let Rod Petrie take control of the footballing side of the club. He must be desperate to prove that the last 3-4 managers he appointed just weren't up to the job. After all they all said they were happy with the budget and were given the opportunity to bring in their own players. And each achieved the square root of sod all. It's the natural next step Rod. Step in there and prove it can be done. A decent league position and a cup final (we don't even have to win it). Finish 3rd or 4th playing decent football and they'll be queuing up for the job next time you advertise.

The only manager who will come out and say, in public, that he's unhappy with the budget is a manager who is about to or has resigned. Like Collins.

Anyone hoping to keep their job will make their views known to the Board but it won't necessarily change anything. I'm sure the Board spend a lot of time explaining the finances to the manager to get his buy-in too.

HibsMax
28-06-2011, 04:47 PM
No matter who we have as manager next season, including CC, there will be an element of the support who are not happy.

The most popular choice is Strachan and he can't even muster up the support of half of the fans.

If we take the top two picks, Strachan and Butcher, we still only get up to about 65%.

The board keep appointing the wrong man time and time again yet we can't even get half of the support (those who voted) to agree on one name. This picking a manager mallarky is obviously a piece of cake. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 04:52 PM
No matter who we have as manager next season, including CC, there will be an element of the support who are not happy.

The most popular choice is Strachan and he can't even muster up the support of half of the fans.

If we take the top two picks, Strachan and Butcher, we still only get up to about 65%.

The board keep appointing the wrong man time and time again yet we can't even get half of the support (those who voted) to agree on one name. This picking a manager mallarky is obviously a piece of cake. :wink:

The current one has done nothing to galvanise the support, and imo has lost the support. He cant carry on no matter what happens now.

erin go bragh
28-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Id be delighted if it was strachan and would be happy to see john collins back with a director of football helping him find players and showing him how to man manage players as i think that were jc achillies , cause he certainly knew how to change a game with his tactics unlike the last three !
ggtth

BT58
28-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I personally think that the majority of hibs fans would love Gordon Strachan at ER
However i think that he would be looking to spend cash,, cash we aint got
I opted for Davies,, but in hindsight, he would want cash to spend too
If RP where to bring in either men, i think we would see a huge upturn in season ticket sales
Its a catch 22 for the board
Would love to see either GS/BD build a team to ram it right up rantic
we can all dream
Bt

HibsMax
28-06-2011, 05:32 PM
The current one has done nothing to galvanise the support, and imo has lost the support. He cant carry on no matter what happens now.

I'm still going back and forth on this in my head. I am totally undecided and because of that I've decided to stop posting on any of those really annoying long threads where one minute we hear he IS staying and the next he IS leaving (or already left).

I didn't like his interview either but I am not totally convinced that what he said means he's not happy and he wants to leave. It could be interpreted that way but it could also just mean that if someone came in with an offer he would have to look at it. I could say the same about my current situation and I'm not unhappy with where I work and I am not looking to leave. If Google came along and offered me something then I would be a total idiot to not even consider it.

His comments were silly and did little more than unsettle the fans and for that I think he's a tube.

All I know at this stage is there are so many posts from various sources all conflicting with one another.....there's no point in getting worked about it any more. I'm just going to bide my time and see what happens.

DH1875
28-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Wouldn't worry about it. Honestly can't believe so many people even think we have a chance of him turning up as our next manager.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm still going back and forth on this in my head. I am totally undecided and because of that I've decided to stop posting on any of those really annoying long threads where one minute we hear he IS staying and the next he IS leaving (or already left).

I didn't like his interview either but I am not totally convinced that what he said means he's not happy and he wants to leave. It could be interpreted that way but it could also just mean that if someone came in with an offer he would have to look at it. I could say the same about my current situation and I'm not unhappy with where I work and I am not looking to leave. If Google came along and offered me something then I would be a total idiot to not even consider it.

His comments were silly and did little more than unsettle the fans and for that I think he's a tube.

All I know at this stage is there are so many posts from various sources all conflicting with one another.....there's no point in getting worked about it any more. I'm just going to bide my time and see what happens.

If he wanted to stay, he could stop all of this in one minute. The silence if deafening.

If he wants to hedge his bets, what does that tell any prospective signing he might be after never mind those on the terraces he wants support from?

He cant stay, a lame duck as someone else posted.

The_Todd
28-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I'd love JC to come back, but I doubt very much he would. SPL players aren't ever likely to see eye-to-eye with him on fitness and discipline.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 06:16 PM
I'd love JC to come back, but I doubt very much he would. SPL players aren't ever likely to see eye-to-eye with him on fitness and discipline.

And yet he brought O'Brien Noubussie (sp) Maka Antoine curier who had not played in the SPL, and it wouldnt have mattered how fit they were imo.

matty_f
28-06-2011, 06:18 PM
If we could get him, Strachan would be a great appointment, IMHO.

I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea while he was at Celtc, but I think that had a lot to do with the intensity of the media pressure of managing one of the OF.

His record as a manager in the SPL is probably second only to Walter Smith's (or if there are others, there won't be much in it).

I do not think he'd come to Hibs, though. Hard to see what's in if for him, but I think he's someone of sufficient stature in the game to be able to get respect from the word 'go' from the players.

matty_f
28-06-2011, 06:19 PM
And yet he brought O'Brien Noubussie (sp) Maka Antoine curier who had not played in the SPL, and it wouldnt have mattered how fit they were imo.

Collins made poorer signings than any manager we've had since Duffy, IMHO.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Collins made poorer signings than any manager we've had since Duffy, IMHO.

:agree: but they were fit.:greengrin

Sergey
28-06-2011, 06:23 PM
:agree: but they were fit.:greengrin

Even so, that's no excuse for Thompson to be emailing pictures of his tadger to them!

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Even so, that's no excuse for Thompson to be emailing pictures of his tadger to them!

:tee hee:

HibsMax
28-06-2011, 06:35 PM
If he wanted to stay, he could stop all of this in one minute. The silence if deafening.
I'm not sure that he could, although I did believe that myself not so long ago. In the short-term he might be able to appease the fans but then if he did leave, what then? Another liar. At one point I wanted him to categorically state that he was staying at Hibs but as has already been pointed out, previous managers have done that and left.....what brownie points did that earn them? He's still at Hibs and as far as we know he's happy in his job. That's all he can really do. Maybe that's his statement? Even if he did make another statement, who would believe him and give him their backing?

Before we tar and feather the guy, ask yourself this. How many managers would reject offers without even considering the offer? The problem as I see it is he opened his mouth and said what many others might think but keep to themselves. The question I have is, why did CC make that comment? Did he say it because he wants the whole world to know that he's unhappy at Hibs and is currently inviting offers? Or is he just a tit who said the wrong thing at the wrong time? To me there's a difference between weighing up your options and inviting offers.

In an ideal world we would have a manager at Hibs who wants to be there and is not interested in working anywhere else. The reality of the situation is that we are so far down the pecking order that there are few managers (of Hibs quality) who that actually applies to. Are there any? Which manager fits these requirements:
1. Hibs quality
2. Would not leave if a better offer came along

I want CC to stay but only if he WANTS to, not because his other options have dried up. If Hibs are all he has left then I would rather he left.

I'm not so naive as to think there is no way that CC will be off any day now. Of course that's a very real possibility. But so far, unless I've missed something, all he's said is that if something was to materialise he would have to weigh up his options (and I truly believe that comment applies to most people - they just don't stand up and say it in front of the world).

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure that he could, although I did believe that myself not so long ago. In the short-term he might be able to appease the fans but then if he did leave, what then? Another liar. At one point I wanted him to categorically state that he was staying at Hibs but as has already been pointed out, previous managers have done that and left.....what brownie points did that earn them? He's still at Hibs and as far as we know he's happy in his job. That's all he can really do. Maybe that's his statement? Even if he did make another statement, who would believe him and give him their backing?

Saying nothing is not the best thing imo, this unrest wont go away? It needs stopping now, what good is all this uncertainty doing?

matty_f
28-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Saying nothing is not the best thing imo, this unrest wont go away? It needs stopping now, what good is all this uncertainty doing?

Potentially it's only the support that's uncertain though. We don't know at this point what the script is, but I would suggest that those that need to know, do.

Having an uncertain support in the short term is probably something the club are prepared to take while things get sorted out one way or the other.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Potentially it's only the support that's uncertain though. We don't know at this point what the script is, but I would suggest that those that need to know, do.

Having an uncertain support in the short term is probably something the club are prepared to take while things get sorted out one way or the other.

Uncertainty during the close season Matty, with season ticket holders dropping is not ideal. In fact its the last thing we need imo. The news coming out of easter road should be all positive, they should be doing everything possible to try and get as many new fans through the doors.

This is doing none of that, in fact probably pissing more folk off and having the opposite effect.

A lame duck imo, i dont think he can recover from this if he decides to ignore the sweeties. As soon as results go south, we all know what will happen.

HibsMax
28-06-2011, 06:56 PM

The damage has been done, the fans have already turned against him. I don't know if I include myself in that number because quite honestly, my opinion changes from one moment to the next. The reason for that is that I don't want to make assumptions about what is going on inside his head.

I would welcome a "I'm here to stay" type message but I'm not sure how much mileage that would gain him. Some would believe him, others would not. If he stays some will say it's because the other offers fell through.

Albion Hibs
28-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Agreed mate, quite why some are saying this has something to do with your opinion of the club I do not know. There is little to no chance that Strachan will come to Hibs, I dont think being a hibs fan or a challange can be factors (despite managers like to use those buzz phrases to get the fans excited). I would think he could make considerably more money down south before he would look at a Hibs offer.

In any event I still dont think that CC will go, alas I have not voted for any future manager.

HibsMax
28-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Agreed mate, quite why some are saying this has something to do with your opinion of the club I do not know. There is little to no chance that Strachan will come to Hibs, I dont think being a hibs fan or a challange can be factors (despite managers like to use those buzz phrases to get the fans excited). I would think he could make considerably more money down south before he would look at a Hibs offer.

In any event I still dont think that CC will go, alas I have not voted for any future manager.

Not everyone is motivated by money. Some people, once they've achieved some / all of their goals will do things that they couldn't afford to do earlier in their lives. Some even volunteer. Not saying that happens in the football world by the way but it does happen.

Nothing wrong with Spectrum games. :wink: Some of the games I remember playing might have had crap graphics but they made up for it in gameplay. Sorry, just trying to get this thread moved to the Video Game forum. :)

hfc rd
28-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Strachan or Butcher.

SmokieJoe
28-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I didn't vote because i can only select one option, WGS is a great shout, although things were going pear shaped at 'boro, he amicabaly left them with his reputation and head held high, the chairman said so in an interview after WGS's departure, strachan refused to take any of the compo involved, saying "its not about the money for me" Rod would like that i'm sure,

TB, a great man manager spots tallent and has worked with a low budget before at a few clubs.

MON, just won the league with shamrock rovers, you dont win titles unless you get shed loads of dough to do it with unless you are a very good manager.

SC, possibly the most experienced assistant manager out there at the moment, has worked with many names at Chelski, but would he want the poisoned chalice?
He might, but him not taken a managers job before now leads me to think he is comfortable playing second fiddle.

Any of these would do me, I couldn't stand the thought of BD being atER in the croud, never mind in the home duggout.

Cameron1875
28-06-2011, 09:07 PM
A No to terry butcher. He is best of managing small bottom 6 clubs like motherwell and caley. Strachan would improve hibs but not sure if i could stand his personality, bit of a **** at celtic but pressure does do strange things to people.

Don Giovanni
29-06-2011, 11:11 AM
How about Gus Poyet or Lee Clark?

Haven't seen either mentioned but both have a record of playing good football, achieving relative success. Both are young with plenty football experience (if limited managerial experience) and come across well in the media.

That said I fully expect our board to target someone much lower profile...

darwenhibby
29-06-2011, 11:22 AM
How about Gus Poyet or Lee Clark?

Haven't seen either mentioned but both have a record of playing good football, achieving relative success. Both are young with plenty football experience (if limited managerial experience) and come across well in the media.

That said I fully expect our board to target someone much lower profile...

Both on better packages and more money to spend in the kitty than Hibs will give them, I'm afraid.

Betty Boop
29-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Sammy Lee ? Just left Liverpool according to Five Live.

Don Giovanni
29-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Both on better packages and more money to spend in the kitty than Hibs will give them, I'm afraid.

Your probably right, unfortunately.

Although we did pay compensation for CC & I suspect he was on a good package with Newcastle.

It would be nice to see Hibs be ambitious in thier targets though.

darwenhibby
29-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Sammy Lee ? Just left Liverpool according to Five Live.

Hope your not suggesting Sammy Lee.:worried:

GloryGlory
29-06-2011, 12:11 PM
A No to terry butcher. He is best of managing small bottom 6 clubs like motherwell and caley. Strachan would improve hibs but not sure if i could stand his personality, bit of a **** at celtic but pressure does do strange things to people.

:agree: Don't understand the groundswell for Terry Butcher, TBH. He has a very ordinary CV as a manager. What did he achieve exactly at Coventry, Sunderland, Sydney and Brentford? I think he is a mid table SPL manager at best.

BTW, not sure about Strachan either - for one thing, his ego would not fit through the door of the manager's office at ER.

Speedway
29-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Clarke has just been given Lee's job at Liverpool, so we can take him out of the mix.

HibsMax
29-06-2011, 02:31 PM
:agree: Don't understand the groundswell for Terry Butcher, TBH. He has a very ordinary CV as a manager. What did he achieve exactly at Coventry, Sunderland, Sydney and Brentford? I think he is a mid table SPL manager at best.

BTW, not sure about Strachan either - for one thing, his ego would not fit through the door of the manager's office at ER.

I've heard a lot of negative things about Strachan and all of it justifiable.

BUT, surely if he was to come to a club like Hibs he would have to manage his expectations accordingly? He would surely know that he wouldn't have millions to spend? He would surely know exactly what his relationship would be like with the board? I imagine that would be his first 10 questions! Maybe we need someone like him to come to Hibs to expose the board for what they really are? Or prove otherwise?

bawheid
29-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Re: Strachan and his ego.

Any manager that goes to Sellick always ends up looking a bit mental. Martin O'Neill was a lucid, thoughtful and sensible pundit at Euro 2000. He pitched up at Parkhead and turned into a raving lunatic.

Mowbray lost the plot during his time as manager there. Huddles on the pitch at ER? Refusing to look at replays of his players diving? Come on Tony, that wasn't you.

Strachan was the same. It must be quite hard dealing with the same moron weegie journalists asking the same moron weegie questions day after day. I'd probably start taking the piss out of them too.

Strachan for me. Not that he'd come...

MWHIBBIES
29-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Wouldn't mind Phil Parkinson.

eastmainsmsh
29-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Ian Mcparland

R'Albin
29-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Re: Strachan and his ego.

Any manager that goes to Sellick always ends up looking a bit mental. Martin O'Neill was a lucid, thoughtful and sensible pundit at Euro 2000. He pitched up at Parkhead and turned into a raving lunatic.

Mowbray lost the plot during his time as manager there. Huddles on the pitch at ER? Refusing to look at replays of his players diving? Come on Tony, that wasn't you.

Strachan was the same. It must be quite hard dealing with the same moron weegie journalists asking the same moron weegie questions day after day. I'd probably start taking the piss out of them too.

Strachan for me. Not that he'd come...

Very true:agree:

stokesmessiah
29-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Sammy Lee ?

hibsboy90
29-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Alan Irvine maybe, currently out of work and Scottish.

sunshine1875
29-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Anyone but Jimmy Calderwood!

None quoted - my preference would be Jimmy Calderwood. Time for some stability at the club.

Westie1875
29-06-2011, 08:37 PM
We need experience, not the time for a gamble IMO.

bingo70
29-06-2011, 08:37 PM
None quoted - my preference would be Jimmy Calderwood. Time for some stability at the club.

You'll get slated for that, personally i don't want him but it annoys me the stick he gets. He's got a better record than Levien who everyone was so keen to cream themselves over before he joined Scotland but i think his image counts against him a lot when all he should really be judged on his managerial ability.

bingo70
29-06-2011, 08:39 PM
We need experience, not the time for a gamble IMO.

Any experienced manager we could get would have failed somewhere before so i don't see how they'd be less of a gamble than a young manager that's only been successfull.

(i made this point in a thread the other day that was duly ignored :greengrin)

sunshine1875
29-06-2011, 08:49 PM
You'll get slated for that, personally i don't want him but it annoys me the stick he gets. He's got a better record than Levien who everyone was so keen to cream themselves over before he joined Scotland but i think his image counts against him a lot when all he should really be judged on his managerial ability.

Probably, but I am sick of trying out the next new thing whether it be a Collins, Mixu or CC. We need someone with experience this time around to steady the boat! We cannot go on another cycle of young unproven (at this level) manager, who will be either 'Tom Kite' or very good but then jumps ship the next time a better offer comes along. Time for an old head, IMO.

Westie1875
29-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Any experienced manager we could get would have failed somewhere before so i don't see how they'd be less of a gamble than a young manager that's only been successfull.

(i made this point in a thread the other day that was duly ignored :greengrin)

My reason for thinking we need experience is that they'd likely be stronger in dealing with the board, and also with any trouble makers (we've had our fair share :greengrin ). I see someone suggesting Jimmy Calderwood, wouldn't be the worst appointment in the world given his previous spl experience, tin hat firmly on!

Dibben
29-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Alan Irvine maybe, currently out of work and Scottish.

:hmmm:

I seem to recall he done a decent job at PNE and was unlucky to be sacked (albeit was a poor run that ended with him being sacked!).

TheBruce
30-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately there is no such thing as loyalty in football anymore, so who do we all want to replace him? Is there even any viable candidates at the moment ?

SteveHFC
30-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Terry Butcher

Spike Mandela
30-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Who cares? No point getting attached, they ain't gonna be around long.:rolleyes:

Zazu62
30-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Strachan

Andy74
30-06-2011, 09:29 PM
No idea this time. Billy Davies, is he free?

As mentioned earlier after Sauzee and maybe Collins probably no one I'd be passionate about supporting.

R'Albin
30-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Strachan, Davies or Butcher.

If we could get one of those three I would be delighted:agree:

Andy74
30-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Strachan

Aye, I think that would get me interested.

Removed
30-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Where is that new manager poll thread when you need it. Someone did start one.

TheBruce
30-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Funny nut looking at all the suggestions so far they are a better solution than what we currently have ! Some passion in the dug out would be a start !

BoltonHibee
30-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Do we really need one?

down the slope
30-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Butcher but he has probably got to much to say for himself so that would never do for balloon boaby !.

Hamish
30-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Just promote Stevenson and Evans. Stevenson was interested in the job before CC was appointed.

Removed
30-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Unfortunately there is no such thing as loyalty in football anymore, so who do we all want to replace him? Is there even any viable candidates at the moment ?

Here you go (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?212502-IF-CC-Walks-Out-On-The-Club)

nribs
30-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Matty Jack :thumbsup::not worth

mr ganjaa
30-06-2011, 09:45 PM
first time poster, long time reader of hibs net. if cc does leave, i would personally love to see michael o'neil in as manager with keith wright brought in as assistant manager. michael o'neil because he is a bright young manager who likes his teams to play attractive football and he will have good knowledge of the irish market, which has showed over the years to have some hidden gems. keith wright because he is passionate about the club and he could be our, dare i say it, gary locke. i know gary locke is an utter c***, but you always hear of him pumping the players up before big games. i think keith could be the guy to inject that bit of passion into the team before games and he would also command the respect from the players.

chrisski33
30-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Petrie for the managers job! Lol

Removed
30-06-2011, 09:46 PM
first time poster, long time reader of hibs net. if cc does leave, i would personally love to see michael o'neil in as manager with keith wright brought in as assistant manager. michael o'neil because he is a bright young manager who likes his teams to play attractive football and he will have good knowledge of the irish market, which has showed over the years to have some hidden gems. keith wright because he is passionate about the club and he could be our, dare i say it, gary locke. i know gary locke is an utter c***, but you always hear of him pumping the players up before big games. i think keith could be the guy to inject that bit of passion into the team before games and he would also command the respect from the players.

You were doing so well..........................

LTYF

thekaratekid
30-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Terry Butcher

nribs
30-06-2011, 09:48 PM

:rolleyes:

erin go bragh
30-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Someone who has a passion for hibs and wants to play football the proper way, ie score more goals than the other team , strachan ,collins , o`neil [hopefully as they are hibs through and through they will tell all others to do one when they try and poach them ,untill we win the scottish cup at least :greengrin
ggtth

hibeeleicester
30-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Murray as player manager :agree:

Lmc2105
30-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Strachan, Davies or Butcher.

If we could get one of those three I would be delighted:agree:

Agreed mate .. they would be my 3 Choices

Captain Trips
30-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Strachan might actually stay for a full contract if not sacked as not going anywhere else in scotland and might fancy seeing if he can build us, needs to be somebody who has hada few years in game imo.

Removed
30-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Why do we need yet another thread :rolleyes:

Here is the poll

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?212502-IF-CC-Walks-Out-On-The-Club

Removed
30-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Bump :wink:

BroxburnHibee
30-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Why do we need yet another thread :rolleyes:

Here is the poll