PDA

View Full Version : The olympics

heretoday
26-06-2011, 04:09 PM
I say football has no place in the Olympic games.

Neither does golf, cricket, rugby or tennis. All these sports get enough worldwide coverage all year round.

I forgot horse racing.

down-the-slope
26-06-2011, 04:33 PM
:agree:

unless its U23 / non-pro development end of things...not same old same old

NAE NOOKIE
26-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I kind of look at it from the other direction.

Every sport should be included in the olympics. Why is there archery and shooting, but not darts or snooker which take just as much skill.

I really dont care much about Olympic football though.

Ryan69
26-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I dont think it has a place either.

What you aim for(if its your goal) is to reach the olympics

Its about individual performance...thats how I feel!

Someone that comes on the pitch once for 1 minute to waste time....Is NOT an Olympian!

Hibs Class
26-06-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't think football has a place in the Olympics either, primarily because a gold medal in Olympic football would not be the pinnacle of a footballer's career, whereas it is for athletes, swimmers, etc. But then for the purist the Olympic ideal has long been lost with the advent of professionalism - the likes of Eric Liddell are long gone and the Olympics have long lost their meaning.

FifeeHibee
26-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Football deserves as much of a place as other sports. The question is about the amateur status of players. Given that the barrier is now open, then pro footballers will play.

The problem is that Scotland is not recognised as an Olympic nation. Over to you the Scottish people!

Hibs Class
26-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Football deserves as much of a place as other sports. The question is about the amateur status of players. Given that the barrier is now open, then pro footballers will play.

The problem is that Scotland is not recognised as an Olympic nation. Over to you the Scottish people!

Your second para shouldn't be a problem - most Scots are happy to be part of a British Olympic team, just look at the likes of Chris Hoy, Liz McColgan, David Wilkie, Alan Wells and Dick McTaggart. The situation with a Scotland v UK team at football is pretty much unique to the UK, but I don't think that Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Holland etc. should have any more appetite for Olympic football than us. If countries cannot field their best squads as they do at the World Cup then Olympic football would be a sub standard competition and shouldn't proceed.

basehibby
26-06-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't think football has a place in the Olympics either, primarily because a gold medal in Olympic football would not be the pinnacle of a footballer's career, whereas it is for athletes, swimmers, etc. But then for the purist the Olympic ideal has long been lost with the advent of professionalism - the likes of Eric Liddell are long gone and the Olympics have long lost their meaning.

:agree: That's it for me - the WC is the pinnacle for football, followed by the likes of the European Championships and the Champions League. The Olympics don't even come close for football which (along with the likes of tennis) makes it superfluous and just a sideshow to the main event rather than really adding anything.

ekhibee
26-06-2011, 08:44 PM
just out of curiosity, why don't the home nations have individual teams instead of Team GB? They have individual teams in the Commonwealth Games, why not the Olympics? And I take it if Scotland voted for independence we would not be in Team GB then?

aberhibsfc
27-06-2011, 02:49 PM
They might as well chuck in F1, Darts & Snooker.

Hibercelona
27-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I've always admired the sheer determination and commitment of Athletes in the Olympics and have often wondered if football would follow the same type of professionalism if included in the Olympic Games. Just a thought.

SkintHibby
27-06-2011, 03:03 PM
The Olympics has no place in sport.

Hate it with a passion - ruined by cheats, druggies and dodgy dealings.:agree:

Hibercelona
27-06-2011, 03:06 PM
The Olympics has no place in sport.

Hate it with a passion - ruined by cheats, druggies and dodgy dealings.:agree:

I don't think thats entirely fair. I'd say less of that go's on at the Olympics than what go's on under FIFA.

delbert
27-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Can't believe I have overcome my apathy to actually post on this subject, but frankly I could'nt give a toss about the Olympic Games, rigged, corrupt, bankrupt years ago of the moral standards it was meant to promote, a cheats drug fest with medals handed out at the end for those who can outsmart the dope testers, waste of time, money and effort by those who actually choose to compete clean, you know the ones I mean, the losers !!