PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Alex Miller..

smurf
26-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Obviously not as Manager...

However much he was unpopular as Manager with a lot of us I certainly would never really question the success of much of his signings.

If we are looking to appoint yet another pretty inexperienced younger guy I would like it to be a continental style set up with him as first team coach with a boardroom based director of football.

Alex Miller would be perfect for the role and just maybe we can get away from non football people in the boardroom suggesting and indeed signing players.

Beefster
26-06-2011, 12:05 PM
You might be right in that we need a buffer between the manager and the Board. I'm not sure Miller is the man for the job though and, considering the way the club is set up, it would make Lindsay effectively redundant so is never going to happen.

Too many senior folk at the club have a vested interested in maintaining the status quo.

Aubenas
26-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Interesting idea, especially given Miller's successful scouting role at Anfield. Lex gets a bad press for his time at Hibs. He may have been personally dour but the signings of Crunchie, O'Neil & Jackson suggest he was looking to play football. I suspect he did what our last few managers have signally failed to do: get a team to play to its strengths

snooky
26-06-2011, 12:15 PM
You might be right in that we need a buffer between the manager and the Board. I'm not sure Miller is the man for the job though and, considering the way the club is set up, it would make Lindsay effectively redundant so is never going to happen.

Too many senior folk at the club have a vested interested in maintaining the status quo.

FFS, when did we start sponsering Rock Bands?
Nae wonder there's nae money for players. :crazy:

smurf
26-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Indeed.

As others are highlighting here there something isn't working within the current structure from boardroom down to the changing room. Managers have left and alluded to their position being a weakened one without the real power and remit to do what they felt was necessary.

Our 'Manager' is really just our First Team Coach.

That being the case - and i'm not so sure it can't be a structure that can actually work - i feel it's more a question of the personnel not being suitable as they are not best qualified.

I'm convinced that certain board members are excercising much more input on things than we are aware of. Not at all saying that they are picking the team but there is most certainly evidence to suggest that there is input in recruitment.

As i've said if this is the structure we are going to have i would much prefer to have someone who actually has the knowledge and experience to carry out the role.

snooky
26-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Indeed.

As others are highlighting here there something isn't working within the current structure from boardroom down to the changing room. Managers have left and alluded to their position being a weakened one without the real power and remit to do what they felt was necessary.

That being the case - and i'm not so sure it can't be a structure that can actually work - i feel it's more a question of the personnel not being suitable as they are not best qualified.

I'm convinced that certain board members are excercising much more input on things than we are aware of. Not at all saying that they are picking the team but there is most certainly evidence to suggest that there is input in recruitment.

As i've said if this is the structure we are going to have i would much prefer to have someone who actually has the knowledge and experience to carry out the role.

Could do with a beans spiller right now (not Gramo BTW) just so we could get some idea WTF is really "going on behind the Green Door" (for Frankie Vaughan fans)

Stevie Reid
26-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Always appreciate the job that Miller did for us and his signing record was indeed excellent. Would have been interesting to see what he could've done with the Sky money if he was still managing us when the SPL started.

He managed to attract Craig Hignett to Aberdeen, who was an excellent signing, and it was really unfortunate for Miller that he didn't settle up there. In saying that, giving Dundee Utd cash plus Bily Dodds for Robbie Winters was the worst bif of transfer business he ever did.

Spike Mandela
26-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Some major revisionism going on here. Miller created 1 decent exciting team in ten years culminating in the 91 league cup win. For years prior to that team we reflected his boring, dour, pragmatic, 0-0 snorefest style.

Following this logic Mixu, Yogi et al should have been given 10 years to build a team as well.

heretoday
26-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Some major revisionism going on here. Miller created 1 decent exciting team in ten years culminating in the 91 league cup win. For years prior to that team we reflected his boring, dour, pragmatic, 0-0 snorefest style.

Following this logic Mixu, Yogi et al should have been given 10 years to build a team as well.

That's right. Managers don't get the time now. Miller would have been sacked today long before he won the Skol Cup. Sir Alex Fergie is also a case in point.

Spike Mandela
26-06-2011, 04:05 PM
That's right. Managers don't get the time now. Miller would have been sacked today long before he won the Skol Cup. Sir Alex Fergie is also a case in point.

We really were a dreadful team for the first six years under Miller heretoday you must remember that(if you are old enough):greengrin

i'm all for given people time to build a team but Miller's reign must be looked at over the whole 10 years not just the two years we got a good team.

Aubenas
26-06-2011, 04:10 PM
True, some of Lex's football was hard to take but he had heehaw resources and did what he had to to keep us midtable.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-06-2011, 04:18 PM
For those of us that can remember Bertie Äuld's time in charge, AM's football was expansive in comparison. He was brought like a steady the ship appointment, but steady as she goes was all we got, save for a few real gems ( Videoton away being my favourite Hibs game ever).

Matty_Jack04
26-06-2011, 04:37 PM
How was millers derby record?

Thread closed

HibbyAndy
26-06-2011, 04:52 PM

Thread closed

The same as Scott Crabbe's.

KeithTheHibby
26-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Thread closed

It was pish however is that what it's all about??

Miller left, the same season we were almost relegated, the season after we were.
People are too quick to forget that fact.

sesoim
27-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Alex Miller's signings WERE generally good. But bear in mind he spent over £4M on fairly expensive signings like signing Goram, Houchen, Archibald, Hamilton, McAllister, O'Neill, McGinley (back from Celtic), Paul Wright, Keith Wright, Jackson, Cameron, Welsh, McGraw and MacLeod. A few of these players were costly flops.

Bearing in mind his lesser signings probably cost another million, that would probably be like a manager getting £10 to £12M in today's SPL, which would be interesting!

sesoim
27-06-2011, 05:35 PM
It was pish however is that what it's all about??

Miller left, the same season we were almost relegated, the season after we were.
People are too quick to forget that fact.

The main reason we got relegated was because Duffy was an awful manager. The fact that he was awful doesn't make Alex Miller good. It just means the guys in charge of Hibs at the time weren't much better at appointing managers than they are now.

smurf
27-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Thread closed

Nobody is suggesting his return where he would be taking us into any derby though.

Matty_Jack04
27-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Nobody is suggesting his return where he would be taking us into any derby though.

He was hounded and hated out of hibs when he was here, somehow ended up at Liverpool and has failed in japan? And Sweden since why should he even be considered for any sort of a role at hibs now?

DarlingtonHibee
27-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Indeed.

And the evidence is ???

marinello59
27-06-2011, 07:04 PM
And the evidence is ???

People saying it often enough on here.

Removed
27-06-2011, 07:07 PM
People saying it often enough on here.

Denial doesn't make it untrue though. Only those involved know the facts. The rest of us are ill-informed either way.

heretoday
27-06-2011, 07:10 PM
We really were a dreadful team for the first six years under Miller heretoday you must remember that(if you are old enough):greengrin

i'm all for given people time to build a team but Miller's reign must be looked at over the whole 10 years not just the two years we got a good team.

I know, I know. I'm just stating a fact. He would have been sacked. And yes his reign was a total bore.

And yes, I do remember it - for I am old.

marinello59
27-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Denial doesn't make it untrue though. Only those involved know the facts. The rest of us are ill-informed either way.

I think you mean uninformed.

Removed
27-06-2011, 07:13 PM
I think you mean uninformed.

Aye, that as well :greengrin

smurf
27-06-2011, 07:31 PM

And the evidence is ???

John Rankin.

greenbelly
28-06-2011, 02:27 AM
I have no desire to see Lexo make a return to ER.

As with all the hibees who had to endure those years of boring fitbaw, he has nothing to get me excited about (his Skol Cup win very nearly excused the preceding years of dross, but not quite).

But I do recall at the time of his appointment, that there was a bit of a grumbling from the faithful just cos he wasn't an ex player of ours, think he was the first non player to manage us in X amount of years.

How times change, when now we appear happy to offer it to any ex player who seems keen.

Would be great to have the same manager for just a few years for a change - as for who - sorry, no idea.

lucky
28-06-2011, 06:26 AM
I have no desire to see Lexo make a return to ER.

As with all the hibees who had to endure those years of boring fitbaw, he has nothing to get me excited about (his Skol Cup win very nearly excused the preceding years of dross, but not quite).

But I do recall at the time of his appointment, that there was a bit of a grumbling from the faithful just cos he wasn't an ex player of ours, think he was the first non player to manage us in X amount of years.

How times change, when now we appear happy to offer it to any ex player who seems keen.

Would be great to have the same manager for just a few years for a change - as for who - sorry, no idea.

The Skol cup win is my best day ever as a Hibs fan. So yes he is excused. FFS JC is lauded for winning the same cup with Mogga's team. So Miller deserves credit and some abuse. But he is one 3 cup winning managers in the last 40 years so he is due some respect. Yes I would have him back.

southern hibby
28-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Did we not get to the final a few seasons later and get beat of the Huns at Darkheid. Can't remember if Miller was our manager that day or not?

If he was then 2 finals in his reign as manager. However I too am old enough and can remember watching some real bad football. But correct me if i'm wrong have we not been watching some drose for a while now, with the odd 1 or 2 game exception.

GGTTH.

Beefster
28-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Did we not get to the final a few seasons later and get beat of the Huns at Darkheid. Can't remember if Miller was our manager that day or not?

If he was then 2 finals in his reign as manager. However I too am old enough and can remember watching some real bad football. But correct me if i'm wrong have we not been watching some drose for a while now, with the odd 1 or 2 game exception.

GGTTH.

He was. McCoist scored that flukey overhead kick to win it.

Lucius Apuleius
28-06-2011, 07:56 AM
He was. McCoist scored that flukey overhead kick to win it.

Dangerous play if ever I saw it!!!!:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
28-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Obviously not as Manager...

However much he was unpopular as Manager with a lot of us I certainly would never really question the success of much of his signings.

If we are looking to appoint yet another pretty inexperienced younger guy I would like it to be a continental style set up with him as first team coach with a boardroom based director of football.

Alex Miller would be perfect for the role and just maybe we can get away from non football people in the boardroom suggesting and indeed signing players.

OK Yogi, take off the disguise we know it's you. :greengrin

smurf
28-06-2011, 08:34 AM
As i said in the OP i have no desire to see him back as 'Manager'. I was delighted to see the back of him in 1996.:greengrin

However, as i stated i think we need to change our structure (or get the right personnel for our current structure) and a 'football man' in the boardroom with responsibility for recruitment would IMHO be a positive change.

Miller 1986-1990 was a pretty depressing era. It would be like CC for four years...

However, 1991-1995 we had four very good years. And we were a right good side to watch. He built a very good team.

Stevie Reid
28-06-2011, 09:10 AM
As i said in the OP i have no desire to see him back as 'Manager'. I was delighted to see the back of him in 1996.:greengrin

However, as i stated i think we need to change our structure (or get the right personnel for our current structure) and a 'football man' in the boardroom with responsibility for recruitment would IMHO be a positive change.

Miller 1986-1990 was a pretty depressing era. It would be like CC for four years...

However, 1991-1995 we had four very good years. And we were a right good side to watch. He built a very good team.

He certainly did Smurf. I have to end up writing this on every Miller thread but he managed Hibs mostly in the pre-Bosman era and when there were just 2 (or latterly 3) substitutes making for much smaller matchday squads.

This meant that free transfers were incredibly rare, and there were no wholesale changes every close season, with 5-6 players going out and coming in - he had to build a team gradually as he went on, adding only one or two every year with the same number going out, culminating in 2 excellent teams, the 1991 Skol Cup Final and the 1993 side that finished 3rd, split the Old Firm, missed 2nd place by a point, and lost as few games as Champions Rangers who were in the middle of 9 in a row.

If the first few years were boring, it was because we were crap and the only way to improve was to make us hard to beat, which he certainly did - but the gradual building of the team meant more and more exciting players coming in, and any team that includes Wright, Jackson, McAllister, O'Neill and McGinlay in it was certainly not boring. Would he have lasted 4 years in the current climate? Probably not. But could we have been in a far worse situation had someone else managed us during the Mercer take over bid? Absolutely.

To win a trophy so soon after we faced oblivion was a remarkable achievement, and the lack of appreciation for that ranks alongside those who make derogatory comments about JC as one the most perplexing things about the Hibs support. Yes Lexo was dour and many folk disliked him for that (but then many hated Yogi for being a "character" too), and the derby record was shocking but I don't think history has judged Miller fairly.

He managed us for ten years and we were in a far stronger position when he left than we he arrived. His record as a manager in his own right since he left Hibs is certainly hard to defend, but I will always appreciate the job that he did for us.

Col L
28-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Alex Miller's signings WERE generally good. But bear in mind he spent over £4M on fairly expensive signings like signing Goram, Houchen, Archibald, Hamilton, McAllister, O'Neill, McGinley (back from Celtic), Paul Wright, Keith Wright, Jackson, Cameron, Welsh, McGraw and MacLeod. A few of these players were costly flops.

Bearing in mind his lesser signings probably cost another million, that would probably be like a manager getting £10 to £12M in today's SPL, which would be interesting!

As another poster pointed there is some serious revisionism going on here. To misquote Monty Python Life of Brian, LEXO IS NOT THE MESSIAH!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, for a period he had limited resources, but as the quote above rightly points out at times he had relatively big resources to bring in some big-name players - Archibald, Keith Wright, Ooh-aah Darren Jacksonah etc.

He did have a good 'eye' for a player, and you can't fault some of the guys he brought to the club. All there wer plenty of other duds too - (Neil Cooper, Mark Fulton, Dave Beaumont quickly spring to mind) At the same time, while has capable of bringing some good entertainers in, further down the line, he managed to alienate quiet a few of them with his general negativity.

All Hibbies should be grateful to Miller for delivering the Skol Cup in 1991, and he deserves his place in history, but his record was seriously mediocre.

PLD 453, WON 158, DREW 140, LOST 155

and that was mainly down to good cup runs, his Scottish League record was:

PLD 385, WON 119 DREW 131 LOST 135

To sum up, big reality check needed. Miller was Mr Average. Been there, done that, defo don't want to do it again!!!!

DarlingtonHibee
28-06-2011, 03:10 PM
John Rankin.

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

smurf
28-06-2011, 03:19 PM
:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

That's fair comment on him.