PDA

View Full Version : Only two real candidates

Comiston Hibee
25-06-2011, 11:03 PM
JC just shades it for me over another returnee, Mogga

We don't want to risk another mediocre appointment

Only other possibility for me would be Strachan, bit he's a bit of a fanny.
All may think that they should be operating at a higher level but they wouldn't be.
Mogga needs to realise that Hibs are a better option that 'Boro.

:top marks:cgwa:agree::thumbsup:

SteveHFC
25-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Terry Butcher for me :agree:

Hakim Sar
25-06-2011, 11:28 PM
The John Collins nostalgia on this website is nothing short of baffling.

He was garbage.

WarringtonHibee
25-06-2011, 11:30 PM

He was garbage.

:agree:

Mibbes Aye
25-06-2011, 11:58 PM

He was garbage.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFcc4P_nvNo&feature=related)

and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EJn1mAukc&feature=related) as a nice wee side order and a reminder of what he wanted

Things didn't work out the way any of us would like but to call Collins garbage is ignorant I'm afraid.

snooky
26-06-2011, 12:02 AM

and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EJn1mAukc&feature=related) as a nice wee side order and a reminder of what he wanted

Things didn't work out the way any of us would like but to call Collins garbage is ignorant I'm afraid.

Didn't know Barca played in green & white - oops, wait a minute......

Brebners Bookie
26-06-2011, 12:10 AM
I wouldnt have thought either one of the 2 in the OP were candidates:confused:.

Strachan for me.

Springbank
26-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Strachan
Collins
Billy Davies
Mogga
Michael O'Neill
in that order, for me, in the internet world of MoneyNoObject etc

I agree with the guys defending Collins.
Next time anyone wins a cup final 5-1 (following a derby win en route, with 81% possession ie total domination) I'll look for the "Manager Out" headlines shall I???

RickyS
26-06-2011, 12:52 AM
I wouldnt have thought either one of the 2 in the OP were candidates:confused:.

Strachan for me.

would do for me, but i just canny see it

SmokieJoe
26-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Terry Butcher or Michael O'Neil, TB has great man management skills and has proved he can work to a low budget and still unearth gems, Adam Rooney as an example.

blairwallace
26-06-2011, 01:04 AM

anyone got a link to the second video which has commentary?

Cameron1875
26-06-2011, 01:23 AM
JC did have us playing good football and i think if anyone was going to turn the club around and have us as professional as possible then he would be the man.

However his transfer record can't be ignored.
Obrien
Morais
Antoine-Curier
Kerr
Nouboussie
Joneleit
Ghettusi (sp?) were never going to be good enough players.

He also talked about wanting naismith, robson etc but every hibs fan knows that asking us to pay 1 mill + for a player aint gonna happen with petrie or any chairman.

Nando™
26-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Mowbray can take a running jump. He got very lucky with the players we had coming through at the time he managed us, and his ineptitude was proven when he had mediocre players at Celtic and could do nothing to change things for them.

That allied with his disrespectful huddle at the end of his first game back at Easter Road. In my eyes, that day he became just another one of them.

snooky
26-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Mowbray can take a running jump. He got very lucky with the players we had coming through at the time he managed us, and his ineptitude was proven when he had mediocre players at Celtic and could do nothing to change things for them.

That allied with his disrespectful huddle at the end of his first game back at Easter Road. In my eyes, that day he became just another one of them.

rossi
26-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Does anyone really think Mowbray might leave Middlesborough (team he supported as a boy, much bigger crowds than us, etc, etc) to come back to Hibs?

Butcher for me.

Aldo
26-06-2011, 06:21 AM
MON for me and will try and gets odds on this today???:greengrin

stokesmessiah
26-06-2011, 06:30 AM
MON for me and will try and gets odds on this today???:greengrin

Tell us if/where you do...after your bet is placed obviously :greengrin

Aldo
26-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Tell us if/where you do...after your bet is placed obviously :greengrin

:greengrin

Will do. Not sure if I will get odds but heay nothing ventured!!

FWIW dont want Collins back But if Strachan is not available then I would gladly have MON as our next manager.

stokesmessiah
26-06-2011, 06:48 AM
:greengrin

Will do. Not sure if I will get odds but heay nothing ventured!!

FWIW dont want Collins back But if Strachan is not available then I would gladly have MON as our next manager.

Just had a wee shufty on one of the irish league forums and i noticed some ppl were saying that Shamrock rovers fans have been calling for his head!!??

Iain G
26-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Why the clamour for Michael O'Neill, what has he done, other than play for Hibs, to warrant our managers job?? :confused:

Aldo
26-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Just had a wee shufty on one of the irish league forums and i noticed some ppl were saying that Shamrock rovers fans have been calling for his head!!??

Sounds like some bah humbug from their fans as they know wot is coming. Did he not win the league etc so to diss and saying he is cack is sour grapes.

Lets face it do we think Strachan is going to take the job...dont think so and Jose is no available so that leaves MON top o the list IMHO.

stokesmessiah
26-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Sounds like some bah humbug from their fans as they know wot is coming. Did he not win the league etc so to diss and saying he is cack is sour grapes.

Lets face it do we think Strachan is going to take the job...dont think so and Jose is no available so that leaves MON top o the list IMHO.

It was not Shamrock fans it was other fans talking about it, in fairness they did also say that Shamrock had the most fickle fans however.

I wouldnt want Strachan in honesty as has been mentioned by a few ppl he doesnt do well with out money to burn. I do know he has been sounded out about the job in the past though, just before Mowbray was announced they were trying to get Strachan.

As for MON, i would agree he has worked on a tight budget and put together winning teams. My only concern is (and some of the more knowledgable posters may need to correct me here) looking at Shamrocks history is winning the league with them like getting 1st or 2nd with the OF?? Which apparently anyone can do, just look a the shaved monkey at Darkheid for reference???

Cropley10
26-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Now that Calderwood has failed it's time to go back to appointing ex-players as Manager. After MON we've got Danny Lennon to look forward to?

If MON gets the job it shows just how clueless this Board are, he wouldn't be getting quoted if he'd played for Hearts, rather than Hibs. Are they treating us like mugs? I don't want to hear another manager telling us about how excited he is at being back.

I think the facts are older more experienced managers aren't interested in the Hibs job, so we play the ex-player Manager game instead. Speaks volumes IMHO.

Kevvy1875
26-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Billy Davies? I know some don't like him but would do for me.

Jim Mcintyre...worth a punt?

John McGlynn:devil:

Tricla
26-06-2011, 07:36 AM

He was garbage.

I take it you guys weren't at the cup final?

down-the-slope
26-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Butcher was my shout before CC. However I get the impression he has a total free hand in running team affairs - not sure he would be prepared to fit into the coach only role ER works....and might only be prepared to do this at a much bigger club....

(in fact he may be hoping Ally is not so super at Ibrox and he then gets that gig)

JC aws very good - but its madness to think having walked away that the board would re-sign him

Gala Foxes
26-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Mowbray would'nt come - plus I will never forget the shambles of a lead up to that Hearts Semi which he oversaw - he really exposed himself big style talking down the game so much that we were beat before we got to Hampden

Billy Davies is a moaner - he makes Bobby Williamson sound positive

I would take Butcher, would also take J C if he was given a proper chance & backed by the board ( unlikely i know )

PaulSmith
26-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Why the clamour for Michael O'Neill, what has he done, other than play for Hibs, to warrant our managers job?? :confused:

It'll be good enough for our Board though, they're football knowledge is limited to what they talked about whilst on the Killie Edinburgh supporters night outs.

Not one of them has any credentials better than the average season ticket holder

HibeeMackenzie
26-06-2011, 08:06 AM
are there any bookies taking bets on our next manger?

offshorehibby
26-06-2011, 08:21 AM
MO'N could be a good prospect down side is his experience. Can we afford to take the risk. The safe option would be butcher. Strachan & Davies probably couldn't do the job without a big wad of cash & Davies would be off at the drop of a hat.
McIness must have something, he's been on the short list of a couple of jobs down south but again, if he dose a job in the first season he'll be off as well.

Ritchie
26-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Billy Davies for me

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Think we need someone that knows the league and knows what they are doing. Butcher would be a decent choice.

H18sry
26-06-2011, 09:35 AM
MO'N----Martin O'Neil :confused:

greenlex
26-06-2011, 09:37 AM
MO'N----Martin O'Neil :confused:
The Michael version.:greengrin

H18sry
26-06-2011, 09:44 AM
The Michael version.:greengrin

:na na: no **** sherlock :devil:

KeithTheHibby
26-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I very much doubt JC would return to the club.

He left under a cloud and I would imagine his relationship with RP is rather poor therefore it's a non-starter for me which is a shame as JC had the right philosophy of how to play the game.

When CC leaves I really have no idea who the club should appoint. I felt at the time bringing CC in was rather leftfield given the fact that he had never played / managed in Scotland, nor did he have any previous connection with Hibs.

It disappoints me that he is going to leave but the club will move on like it always does.

J-C
26-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Looks like RP will take the cheap option and go for Michael O'Neil, personally I'd like to see us going for a tried and tested manager. Butcher has proven himself with a small budget but we've been there before with Yogi, Billy Davies has proved himself down south but would he want to come back North. Mogga won't leave his beloved Middlesborough, JC probably won't want to work with RP seeing he didn't back him the first time around. Adams would be a decent choice but why did he go back to Ross co., McInnes has not yet proved himself and like Hibs finished just above us in the league, then we have Strachan. Strachan is a Hibby, forget he managed Celtic, he has to earn a living and who wouldn't manage Celtic given the oppertunity, they are still a pretty big club, he has proven success with little budget( Coventry and Southampton ) and at least he'd be worth listening to at after match interviews :greengrin

snooky
26-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Looks like RP will take the cheap option and go for Michael O'Neil, personally I'd like to see us going for a tried and tested manager. Butcher has proven himself with a small budget but we've been there before with Yogi, Billy Davies has proved himself down south but would he want to come back North. Mogga won't leave his beloved Middlesborough, JC probably won't want to work with RP seeing he didn't back him the first time around. Adams would be a decent choice but why did he go back to Ross co., McInnes has not yet proved himself and like Hibs finished just above us in the league, then we have Strachan. Strachan is a Hibby, forget he managed Celtic, he has to earn a living and who wouldn't manage Celtic given the oppertunity, they are still a pretty big club, he has proven success with little budget( Coventry and Southampton ) and at least he'd be worth listening to at after match interviews :greengrin

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember something from way back that suggested M O'N was not very popular in the dressing room.
:dunno:
That aside, he still wouldn't be one of my picks.

sahib
26-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Mowbray is still in a good job, with the team he supported and played for, there is no way he would come here. It is funny how we have gone out of most cups in about the first round in recent seasons and yet people moan about Mogga's two SEMI-FINAL set backs.

J-C
26-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember something from way back that suggested M O'N was not very popular in the dressing room.

That I couldn't say, I knew MO from a few years ago when his playing days were coming to an end, he was working p/t as a fund manager in the banking world, a pretty clever guy a bit like Pat nevin, he was always a decent pleasant guy in the gym and always up for a blether about football.

greenlex
26-06-2011, 10:15 AM
:na na: no **** sherlock :devil:
and here was me thinking you were stupid.:rolleyes:

hibiedude
26-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Terry Butcher would be great but I would have collins back in a heart beat provided Petrie kept his door shut and left the trouble makers for Collins to sort out.

sahib
26-06-2011, 10:27 AM
That I couldn't say, I knew MO from a few years ago when his playing days were coming to an end, he was working p/t as a fund manager in the banking world, a pretty clever guy a bit like Pat nevin, he was always a decent pleasant guy in the gym and always up for a blether about football.

I would give him the job based on those comments alone. He might have the experience from outside of football that would help him deal with the suits.

bingo70
26-06-2011, 10:37 AM

Would the cheap option not to be to go for someone that wouldn't require compensation?

RP clearly has his faults, his record in managerial appointments has been shocking, however the only reason he appoints the manager is because he thinks he'll be a good one, being the cheap option doesn't come into it.

FWIW O'neils record in mangement is really good is it not? So maybe he is actually just a good manager which is why he'd be Petries prefered option

Musselbound
26-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Does the OP think that either of the "only two real candidates" would be remotely interested? I don't - Gordon Strachan would be a more realistic proposition.

Here are some more realistic contenders:

Michael O'Neill
Terry Butcher
Derek McInnes
Jimmy Calderwood
Csaba Lazlo

TornadoHibby
26-06-2011, 10:47 AM

:top marks

Some people don't see the wood for the trees I'm afraid! :agree:

Hibhibhooray
26-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Ray Wilkins does nae have a gig at the moment, would nae mind him :agree:

hibeedonald
26-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Billy Davies? I know some don't like him but would do for me.

Jim Mcintyre...worth a punt?

John McGlynn:devil:

Jim McIntyre's not a bad shout, young and upcoming manager

Aldo
26-06-2011, 11:13 AM
FWIW I have been told by my local Turf accountants that I cannot have a bet on anyone becoming the next manager as the post is still already filled.

R'Albin
26-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Ray Wilkins does nae have a gig at the moment, would nae mind him :agree:

Well at least our players wouldn't dive into tackles:greengrin

The Voice Of Reason
26-06-2011, 11:30 AM

I will correct you ! :greengrin

I know a few players from back then, MON was well liked in the changing room :agree:

whiskyhibby
26-06-2011, 11:38 AM
FWIW I have been told by my local Turf accountants that I cannot have a bet on anyone becoming the next manager as the post is still already filled.

The only sensible comment on this otherwise BS post................

J-C
26-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Would the cheap option not to be to go for someone that wouldn't require compensation?

RP clearly has his faults, his record in managerial appointments has been shocking, however the only reason he appoints the manager is because he thinks he'll be a good one, being the cheap option doesn't come into it.

FWIW O'neils record in mangement is really good is it not? So maybe he is actually just a good manager which is why he'd be Petries prefered option

Nothing against MO but managing in managing Brechin and Shamrock isn't quite exhilerating stuff is it, I want a manager who's had experience at a decent level first, we made that mistake with Mixu, who went away and learnt from his mistakes.

Cheap option meaning paying peanuts for wages, can't imagine MO being on ££££'s at Shamrock.

bingo70
26-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Nothing against MO but managing in managing Brechin and Shamrock isn't quite exhilerating stuff is it, I want a manager who's had experience at a decent level first, we made that mistake with Mixu, who went away and learnt from his mistakes.

Cheap option meaning paying peanuts for wages, can't imagine MO being on ££££'s at Shamrock.

Do you mean like an experienced manager and coach from down south? Thats not exactly worked a treat with CC.

If we get someone experienced then that'll mean they've failed somewhere else at some point otherwise they would be at or on there way to a bigger club than us i'm afraid so they're as much of a gamble as a young and up and coming manager.

I don't know what i want, i loved O'Neill as a player and it appears he's done a good job wherever he's been but like you i do have reservations, i know there are people who say otherwise but IMO it's a big step up from the irish leagues to ours, in profile if nothing else so would be a test to see how he would deal with it, from what i remember of him as a personality though i think he seemed sensible enough to be able to deal with it.

In short though, i'm not really ersed, i just want it sorted out soon.

Lofarl
Steve Clark. Put your money on it :stirrer::na na:

wick hibby
BUTCHER :thumbsup::thumbsup: Lets hope calderwood makes up his mind soon our just go now :thumbsup:

ScottB
26-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Are people seriously expecting us to try and get Mowbray back?! I'll have some of what you're having!

Aside from the fact I think the green tinted glasses are used heavily when remembering St Tony's time with us, it aint ever going to happen.

JC was a missed opportunity in many ways, but his flaws are there to see in what he has done (or rather hasn't) since. It was always going to end in tears looking back in hindsight, though if we could get someone in that could successfully pull off his mission to instill fitness, discipline, fight and steel into the side, I would love that.

As to who we get, I have no idea. Can't say that Micheal O'Neil, a guy who lost out to CC and Yogi in the process would fill me full of hope. In all honesty I wouldn't object to an experienced, safe pair of hands for a season or two just to stabilise the club, be that Jimmy Calderwood or someone else.

truehibernian
26-06-2011, 11:59 AM
If Hibs went for Butcher then he can bring Hayes and Rooney with him.

I still think WGS would be keen on a 1-year rolling deal. A strong character who still has huge affection for Hibs, and probably one of the few managers around who even RP would be in awe of. It may change mindsets a little too. All Rod needs to do is ask I suppose.......

J-C
26-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Do you mean like an experienced manager and coach from down south? Thats not exactly worked a treat with CC.

If we get someone experienced then that'll mean they've failed somewhere else at some point otherwise they would be at or on there way to a bigger club than us i'm afraid so they're as much of a gamble as a young and up and coming manager.

I don't know what i want, i loved O'Neill as a player and it appears he's done a good job wherever he's been but like you i do have reservations, i know there are people who say otherwise but IMO it's a big step up from the irish leagues to ours, in profile if nothing else so would be a test to see how he would deal with it, from what i remember of him as a personality though i think he seemed sensible enough to be able to deal with it.

In short though, i'm not really ersed, i just want it sorted out soon.

Not bothered where they come from as long as they have experience working in a league similar or better than ours, remember there are differing factors for managers to lose their jobs, not always being sacked for being no good.

MO is a very clever guy and a very decent bloke, if he gets the gig I'll back him as that's what we have to do with whoever gets the job, the cause is all important and support is necessary.

Like you and many other, I'm just peed off again that we're going through this managerial speculation that we have every year at this time, we need to get it sorted.

snooky
26-06-2011, 12:03 PM
I will correct you ! :greengrin

I know a few players from back then, MON was well liked in the changing room :agree:

Thanks VOR :aok:
Apologies to M O'N :blushie:

NorthNorfolkHFC
26-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Terry Butcher for me :agree:

I agree, if it happened i would like Butcher, he definitely has the meat required to stand up to Rod!
:wink:

basehibby
26-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Now that Calderwood has failed it's time to go back to appointing ex-players as Manager. After MON we've got Danny Lennon to look forward to?

If MON gets the job it shows just how clueless this Board are, he wouldn't be getting quoted if he'd played for Hearts, rather than Hibs. Are they treating us like mugs? I don't want to hear another manager telling us about how excited he is at being back.

I think the facts are older more experienced managers aren't interested in the Hibs job, so we play the ex-player Manager game instead. Speaks volumes IMHO.

I think you're wrong to batter the board for appointing ex-players as manager - look around the leagues and you'll find it's commonplace accross football.

Of course, it shouldn't be THE prime motivator for appointing a manager, but neither should it be ignored as it does present certain advantages in:

affinity with the club and their fans
knowledge of history, expectations and culture of the club
increased willingness to consider it as an option - eg do you think Franc Sauzee (and I know he wasn't a success) would have considered the job of Hibs manager if he wasn't a former player?
As for MON, sure his status as a former Hibs player is part of the reason he gets linked with us - but it's also the fact of the success he's experienced with Shamrock Rovers as well as the small matter of him probably being in our price range.

TornadoHibby
26-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Well at least our players wouldn't dive into tackles:greengrin

Are you saying they would #stayontheirfeet!? :wink: :greengrin

silverhibee
26-06-2011, 12:54 PM
JC did have us playing good football and i think if anyone was going to turn the club around and have us as professional as possible then he would be the man.

However his transfer record can't be ignored.
Obrien
Morais
Antoine-Curier
Kerr
Nouboussie
Joneleit
Ghettusi (sp?) were never going to be good enough players.

He also talked about wanting naismith, robson etc but every hibs fan knows that asking us to pay 1 mill + for a player aint gonna happen with petrie or any chairman.

I thought Hibs made a bid for Naismith when he was at Killie.

Spike Mandela
26-06-2011, 01:14 PM

MON was player of the year at our supporters club one year and he was an absolute gent. HE took the time to work every table, had loads of time for everyone and had a brilliant sense of humour.

I find it hard to believe he was disliked in the changing room.:confused:

ScottB
26-06-2011, 01:17 PM

I believe we did yes, obviously there was no way that we could beat Rangers in the wage stakes.

Collins' signing policy was his weakest point, either going for utter huddies or targets that were totally unrealistic.

YehButNoBut
26-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I know it is probably a lot of pish but punter on Scotsman stating that

Petrie has agreed terms with Birmingham!
and Michael O'Neil will be announced Hibs gaffer tomorrow.

So Petrie is off to Birmingham then. :wink:

Silversand
26-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Well he is currently no. 2 to STF at the moment - he maybe knows he'll never be the no. 1 at Hibs.

Not sure about MON taking over from Petrie though - not sure what his Chief Exec Director experience is. :wink:

offshorehibby
26-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Well he is currently no. 2 to STF at the moment - he maybe knows he'll never be the no. 1 at Hibs.

Not sure about MON taking over from Petrie though - not sure what his Chief Exec Director experience is. :wink:

Did O'Neil not become an accountant or had a career in finance after retiring as a player.

Robinho08
26-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Butcher for me!

Strachan, no thanks, he hasn't proved anything. Why folk want him in, god only knows.

Franck Stanton
26-06-2011, 04:56 PM

God I hope this is true and not just a load o' keek. Michael O'Neil will be a success at Hibs, articulate in his dealings with the press, switched on tactically, knows a good player when he sees one and not afraid to stand up to Petrie. Be a fantastic appointment IMO

Removed
26-06-2011, 05:00 PM
God I hope this is true and not just a load o' keek. Michael O'Neil will be a success at Hibs, articulate in his dealings with the press, switched on tactically, knows a good player when he sees one and not afraid to stand up to Petrie. Be a fantastic appointment IMO

I really don't understand why any manager we have would have to stand up to RP. Do they not work as a team for the good of the club? What do they actually have to stand up for?

ancient hibee
26-06-2011, 05:00 PM
It has to be Collins and then we could have Tommy Craig back arranging new signings.

hibsbollah
26-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Im past caring to be honest. I like Butcher but I have no idea if he will be able to make a difference. A complete unknown might be best, just in terms of keeping expectations in check.

NAE NOOKIE
26-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Collins ? ... Not for me, jumped ship in a bloody huff after being told he couldnt have millions to spend. Its also out of the ordinary for players to go to the chairman about the manager, so obviously his man management skills are poor.

Mogga ? ... will never leave his dream job at Boro, unless Man Utd or Arsenal come calling.

Strachan ? ... Whenever he talks on the TV about the game he makes loads of sense and always seems to be able to suss out quickly whats going on in a game.
When he was in England his interviews were funny and witty.
For some reason at Celtic he turned into an utter tool and an arrogant wee bore. If we could get the pre Celtic Strachan I would be happy. Will never happen though.

O'Neill ? ... Not sure, it would be a bit of a shot in the dark really.

Butcher ? ... Could do a real job for us and probably the best of the realistic candidates.

Calderwood ? ... Either come out with a definate statement that you have no intention of leaving Hibs, or sod off to England and let us get sorted before the season starts. This speculation is doing Hibs no favours and your refusal to kill the rumours is not going to help our pre season.

Cropley10
26-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Wouldn't be anywhere near the job if he'd played for Hearts not Hibs. Manages a pub team and you think he'll stand up to RP, whatever that means. :faf:

Cropley10
26-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I think you're wrong to batter the board for appointing ex-players as manager - look around the leagues and you'll find it's commonplace accross football.

Of course, it shouldn't be THE prime motivator for appointing a manager, but neither should it be ignored as it does present certain advantages in:

affinity with the club and their fans
knowledge of history, expectations and culture of the club
increased willingness to consider it as an option - eg do you think Franc Sauzee (and I know he wasn't a success) would have considered the job of Hibs manager if he wasn't a former player?
As for MON, sure his status as a former Hibs player is part of the reason he gets linked with us - but it's also the fact of the success he's experienced with Shamrock Rovers as well as the small matter of him probably being in our price range.

Commonplace? It's not a bad idea, but to just KEEP doing it is. IMHO.

Shamrock Rovers? Glorified pub fitba.

Andy74
26-06-2011, 07:08 PM
If Caldwerwood goes Petrie should be following him.

FifeeHibee
26-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Too much is made of the managers in football. Money talks, not who's pulling the strings! Alex Ferguson could come to Easter Road, and yes he would probably help, but he (most likely) wouldn't win the league. CC's record is ok, but only just. There are some good players at ER, but look what they did at the end of the season!!

I hope that CC stays a bit longer, but if he goes, someone like O'Neill for me would be better than going back, though I liked what Collins stood for. Butcher presents another good option, but he's a bluenosed English leg breaker! Maybe just what we need!

The Falcon
26-06-2011, 07:35 PM

We made a few. We pulled out when his agent made it clear he wanted to go to Rangers. That and Rod had lost a lot of blood due to the nosebleeds given the sums involved.

The Falcon
26-06-2011, 07:36 PM

Farmer wants Petrie there.

Love the Green
26-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Guys have I missed something ?????????
Is the manager away? was only out and about today in Edinburgh you would think I had gone to the moon and missed the passing of another Hibs manager...why all this speculation?

"keep the faith"
:wink:

Holmesdale Hibs
26-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Why? If CC goes it will be because he has chosen to leave not because Petrie has sacked him.

If CC does leave then I'd be happy enough with Butcher, assuming we could get him. Don't know much about what MON has done as don't follow the northern Irish league.

What happened to Steve Clarke...

ScottB
26-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Shamrock Rovers? Glorified pub fitba.

And the SPL is the pinnacle of the footballing world?

West Upper
26-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Why? If CC goes it will be because he has chosen to leave not because Petrie has sacked him.

If CC does leave then I'd be happy enough with Butcher, assuming we could get him. Don't know much about what MON has done as don't follow the northern Irish league.

What happened to Steve Clarke...

He is now assistant manager at Liverpool.

basehibby
26-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Too much is made of the managers in football. Money talks, not who's pulling the strings! Alex Ferguson could come to Easter Road, and yes he would probably help, but he (most likely) wouldn't win the league. CC's record is ok, but only just. There are some good players at ER, but look what they did at the end of the season!!

I hope that CC stays a bit longer, but if he goes, someone like O'Neill for me would be better than going back, though I liked what Collins stood for. Butcher presents another good option, but he's a bluenosed English leg breaker! Maybe just what we need!

Cobblers! The manager is the single most important employee at any given football club - he makes the signings and builds the team as well as motivating them and telling them how to play - ie the difference between success and failure.

I'd say it's akin to a chef - give a cordon bleu master chef the same budget as a rank amatuer more at home with pot noodles - who will prepare the best meals that will have the punters coming back for more???

stoneyburn hibs
26-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I hope hibs release a statement tomorrow putting all this speculation to bed once and for all and its sorted one way or another, its starting to p*ss me off, and as for the terry butcher shouts, please no , ok he has done not too bad at ict , one good season at motherwell , but not much else , and his spell in australia was a disaster

HibsMax
26-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Butcher was my shout before CC. However I get the impression he has a total free hand in running team affairs - not sure he would be prepared to fit into the coach only role ER works....and might only be prepared to do this at a much bigger club....

(in fact he may be hoping Ally is not so super at Ibrox and he then gets that gig)

JC aws very good - but its madness to think having walked away that the board would re-sign him

Is that not what Notts Forest are contemplating with CC? only as an assistant this time around.

Any new manager will surely / hopefully know about his predecessors and what problems they faced (given that its common knowldwge on here) so I would hope they make all the right demands in their interview, or knock us back.

HibsMax
26-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Farmer wants Petrie there.

If that is true and if Petrie is as incompetent as people keep saying Then surely Sir Tom has to go as well? Not suggesting that happens, just taking the "sack the board" strategy to its logical conclusion.

Again, I am NOT suggesting this happen. Want to be clear about that. :)

The Falcon
26-06-2011, 09:34 PM
If that is true and if Petrie is as incompetent as people keep saying Then surely Sir Tom has to go as well? Not suggesting that happens, just taking the "sack the board" strategy to its logical conclusion.

I was just making the point that Petrie's job is not at risk. Nor should it be imo.

if he wants to look at his role within the club then that's up to him. But no one will be forcing him to do anything.

Removed
26-06-2011, 09:37 PM

How do you 'sack' the owner or force him to sell?

The Falcon
26-06-2011, 10:17 PM

You cant sack him but someone can come along and pay him what its worth then they can do what they like and appoint whoever they want.

The Falcon
26-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Is he not away yet? This was supposed to be done and dusted over a week ago now? Didnt take McLeish this long to quit Brum.

The speculation is fed by this forum and others like it. The press made the link with Forest then Birmingham.
Calderwood apparently has a release clause in his contract therefore has stated to the board from the outset that while he has signed a three year contract, he will leave if a better opportunity comes along.
So will I by the way, my boss knows that too.
There hasn't been an approach by either club to discuss Calderwood.

How much more can the board say?

"Yes he will leave at some point. No, don't know exactly when. Not sure at this time who will replace him when he does go. Unsure who will be in the squad when he does go.
We are fine, the internet has what appears to be an outbreak of hysterical assumptions being discussed as fact".

No one would believe it, there would be more wailing and beating of chests demanding answers that we really wanted.

matty_f
26-06-2011, 10:24 PM
The speculation is fed by this forum and others like it. The press made the link with Forest then Birmingham.
Calderwood apparently has a release clause in his contract therefore has stated to the board from the outset that while he has signed a three year contract, he will leave if a better opportunity comes along.
So will I by the way, my boss knows that too.
There hasn't been an approach by either club to discuss Calderwood.

How much more can the board say?

"Yes he will leave at some point. No, don't know exactly when. Not sure at this time who will replace him when he does go. Unsure who will be in the squad when he does go.
We are fine, the internet has what appears to be an outbreak of hysterical assumptions being discussed as fact".

No one would believe it, there would be more wailing and beating of chests demanding answers that we really wanted.
:top marks

Phil MaGlass
27-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Walter Smith is now at ER.

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Was it a fall?

HibsMax
27-06-2011, 02:08 PM

I have no idea. The only reason I brought it up is That I've seen many posts saying RP is the one at fault since he keeps making dodgy managerial appointments. On that basis, surely his boss is in jeopardy as Well?

I don't Want either to go.

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I have no idea. The only reason I brought it up is That I've seen many posts saying RP is the one at fault since he keeps making dodgy managerial appointments. On that basis, surely his boss is in jeopardy as Well?

I don't Want either to go.

Me neither, although we really have to be appointing better football managers. How they do this though has me beat?:confused:

Dr Jimmy
27-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Was it a fall?

:faf::faf:

Speedway
27-06-2011, 02:26 PM

The owner has been trying to leave for three years at least.

He can't find anyone that shares his benevolent view of the club that can also fund a loss making venture.

Cameron1875
27-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Absolute rubbish. A manager is the most important person at the club. Any manager that is having doubts about managing hibs and is looking for an escape route should sod off imo.

ancient hibee
27-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Me neither, although we really have to be appointing better football managers. How they do this though has me beat?:confused:
But surely we have appointed one in Calderwood who now has (allegedly)two big clubs after him.

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2011, 03:16 PM
But surely we have appointed one in Calderwood who now has (allegedly)two big clubs after him.

That might be your opinion, not mine.

sesoim
27-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Strachan
Collins
Billy Davies
Mogga
Michael O'Neill
in that order, for me, in the internet world of MoneyNoObject etc

I agree with the guys defending Collins.
Next time anyone wins a cup final 5-1 (following a derby win en route, with 81% possession ie total domination) I'll look for the "Manager Out" headlines shall I???

So one result makes Collins a great manager? Pity about most of his other results, signings, handling of players....

sesoim
27-06-2011, 05:04 PM

If only...

At least he wouldn't be here because he used to play for us a couple of decades ago before walking out...

or because he is a "young and up and coming manager"

Obviously there is no chance of us getting anyone anywhere near Smith's level (although I'm hoping he'll get the Scotland job again soon!), but he is more like the type of guy we should be looking at - a wealth of experience, a strong character and he knows how to organize a team and get the best out of them.

The young/cheap/unproven/naive/ex-"Hibbies" (take your pick) we've generally appointed under Petrie have lead to a gradual decline. He should step aside as well when the decision is made on the next appointment.

silverhibee
27-06-2011, 05:12 PM
If only...

At least he wouldn't be here because he used to play for us a couple of decades ago before walking out...

or because he is a "young and up and coming manager"

Obviously there is no chance of us getting anyone anywhere near Smith's level (although I'm hoping he'll get the Scotland job again soon!), but he is more like the type of guy we should be looking at - a wealth of experience, a strong character and he knows how to organize a team and get the best out of them.

The young/cheap/unproven/naive/ex-"Hibbies" (take your pick) we've generally appointed under Petrie have lead to a gradual decline. He should step aside as well when the decision is made on the next appointment.

jgl07
27-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Shamrock Rovers - Northern Irish? I think not.

1Eddie_Turnbull
27-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Derek Adams would definitely be considered by the board imo. Whether he would come back again so soon, and effectively shaft Ross County, is open to question but at least one decision maker at ER was impressed by him and, my guess is, probably wishes he'd been given the job in the first place.