PDA

View Full Version : Petries list!

Reaper
25-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Someone over on the Bounce has posted that CC is gone and Hibs are lining up Michael O'Neil as a replacement (Rumour)

I know that when Yogi got the Job CC was second on the list after interviews (Info from CC's brother) and O'Neil was 3rd. There were also 4 others interviewed at that time (don't know any names).

Is RP just keeping this list and going down ticking them off till he gets one right?? No offence to O'Neil but I'd be underwhelmed with his appointment, as I was with CC.

Dibben
25-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Someone over on the Bounce has posted that CC is gone and Hibs are lining up Michael O'Neil as a replacement (Rumour)

I know that when Yogi got the Job CC was second on the list after interviews (Info from CC's brother) and O'Neil was 3rd. There were also 4 others interviewed at that time (don't know any names).

Is RP just keeping this list and going down ticking them off till he gets one right?? No offence to O'Neil but I'd be underwhelmed with his appointment, as I was with CC.

His record with Shamrock appears to be very good - however, to some, this will always appear to be the cheap option!

IF he is our next manager, we need to get behind him and give him 2 or 3 years to get it right!!! :aok:

HibsMax
25-06-2011, 05:36 PM
His record with Shamrock appears to be very good - however, to some, this will always appear to be the cheap option!

IF he is our next manager, we need to get behind him and give him 2 or 3 years to get it right!!! :aok:

You mean "games", right? :wink:

Dibben
You mean "games", right? :wink:

Oops... my bad!!!

:greengrin

Westie1875

Not just that, he'd probably also be a yes man for RP to control, not what we need IMO.

Reaper
25-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Absolutely 100% agree. As I said I'd be slightly underwhelmed as I was with the Yogi n CC appointments (I'm an optimist when it comes to Hibs) but if the board see fit to appoint him he'll get my support.:aok:

Dibben
25-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Not just that, he'd probably also be a yes man for RP to control, not what we need IMO.

...and so it starts!!! :wink:

Westie1875
25-06-2011, 05:40 PM
...and so it starts!!! :wink:

I think we need an experienced manager who will stand up to RP and the board, things need to change with the way things are run IMO.

ionahibby
25-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Lets stay away from the ex players please,petrie needs to get someone in with a decent track record if cc leaves( and hope he doesn't) it's an ideal time to get someone in with a decent track record no cheap options. Being succesful with shamrock rovers is one thing its a totally different kettle of fish with hibs. The spl might not be the best football in the world but its far superior to the irish league.

RIP
25-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Hibs will go through one or two coaches a year until Rod leaves

Hibs supporters will continue to blame the monkey not the organ-grinder

Heids. Sand.

ionahibby
25-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Mark venus?

Reaper
25-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Mark venus?

Possibly mate. I'm sure he was linked with the job when Yogi go it.:confused:

EasterRoad4Ever
25-06-2011, 05:50 PM
I think we need an experienced manager who will stand up to RP and the board, things need to change with the way things are run IMO.

Can you imagine Petrie having to deal with a "proper" manager like Strachan ? No chance. He'll pick another weak-minded, un-demanding, yes man who he can shove around and who will be grateful for the few pennies RP throws at them once and while. As long as Petrie is in charge, we will never progress - mid-tabled mediocrity is Petrie's view of what is acceptable.

Brebners Bookie
25-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Strachan

HibsMax
25-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Heids. Sand.

Heid. Erse.

Sorry but it really bugs me when people use that "head in the sand" BS. Just because people don't share your opinion (and it is just opinion) doesn't automatically mean they are blind to what is going on. I know there will be people who support your "Heids. Sand." theory, obviously I'm not one of them. :thumbsup: I'm not saying that the blame doesn't lie at Petrie's door, I just don't know that for a fact.

Ernie Cobra
25-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Absolutely no chance of that, O'Neill is very heavily invlved with Shamrock, and i would be delighted at his appointment, as i said on another thread he was who i wanted before calderwoods appointment. has a great record, no nonsense approach, works the players hard and gets results. I would personally be delighted, but only if Pep Guardiola turns us down!

Franck Stanton
25-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Heids. Sand.

Unfortunately, [ for the club and supporters] I think there is a lot of truth in this statement. This present, [ and the recent pasts] is down to the wrong man being appointed by the board who need to take a long hard look at themselves.
As they say pay peanuts and you get monkeys, if the board want any degree of success at E/R then at least get a proven manager in, we as a club and god knows , a long-suffering support deserve that at the very least.
No matter who they do bring in [ should the innevitable happen and CC does jump ship]. the club and supporters need to give the new man 2 - 3 years at least. We definately need a big dose of stability.

The Falcon
25-06-2011, 05:58 PM

In what way?

Craig_in_Prague
25-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I've really warmed to the idea of Butcher.

Knows the league very well, has done very very well with ICT, get's the most out of his players, has his sides fit & organised, commands respect, etc.
Also, Hibs may be a club he sees as a good move to get himself a better name and maybe a shot at something down south. (I don't mean 9 months in the job, do crap and bugger off as a 2nd somewhere - I mean do a Mowbray, leave after 2-3 years of some success).

However, as others point out on other threads, Petrie now needs to be held accountable, we have this manager merry go round and other than Mowbray his appointments haven't went well at all.

Root cause anaylsis required at our club.

The Falcon
25-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Heids. Sand.

And when Rod leaves things will miraculously improve? Guranteed.

HibsMax
25-06-2011, 06:01 PM
You know, if we could get ONE name of a manager that would make everyone happy, then we can point the finger at the board for being so incompetent. But I don't recall that ever happening so there will always be some happy, some not-so-happy fans. Some want Strachan, others don't. Some want Butcher, some don't.

It's a little unfair for us to collectively point the finger when we cannot collectively point to a solution.

Niffy
25-06-2011, 06:03 PM
http://www.scotscoot.com/2011/NIFMIKE.JPG

Me and him when he was a braw player, with Jacksons lugs behind us.

--------
25-06-2011, 06:10 PM

Knows the league very well, has done very very well with ICT, get's the most out of his players, has his sides fit & organised, commands respect, etc.
Also, Hibs may be a club he sees as a good move to get himself a better name and maybe a shot at something down south. (I don't mean 9 months in the job, do crap and bugger off as a 2nd somewhere - I mean do a Mowbray, leave after 2-3 years of some success).

However, as others point out on other threads, Petrie now needs to be held accountable, we have this manager merry go round and other than Mowbray his appointments haven't went well at all.

:agree:

I'd be happy with Butcher for all the reasons you list, Craig.

And as you say, someone needs to be asking why we don't seem to be able to keep a team boss for more than a year and a few months at Hibs.

If you look for common factors over the last 5 managers' tenures.... :rolleyes:

The_Horde
25-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Bring back mixu

Westie1875
25-06-2011, 06:18 PM
In what way?

Make them change the way they run things by actually letting the manager have full control of his budget and letting him decide who his coaching team should be for starters.

Cropley10
25-06-2011, 06:21 PM

I'd be happy with Butcher for all the reasons you list, Craig.

And as you say, someone needs to be asking why we don't seem to be able to keep a team boss for more than a year and a few months at Hibs.

If you look for common factors over the last 5 managers' tenures.... :rolleyes:

Would Tel fancy working for the Tache?

BEEJ
25-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Would Tel fancy working for the Tache?
No.

The Tache is firmly in favour of a 10 team SPL. Tel is passionately against it.

:wink:

Cropley10
25-06-2011, 06:34 PM
You know, if we could get ONE name of a manager that would make everyone happy, then we can point the finger at the board for being so incompetent. But I don't recall that ever happening so there will always be some happy, some not-so-happy fans. Some want Strachan, others don't. Some want Butcher, some don't.

It's a little unfair for us to collectively point the finger when we cannot collectively point to a solution.

The choice of individual is irrelevant it would seem judging by the frequency with which we get through them.

RickyS
25-06-2011, 06:45 PM
;2840831']Bring back mixu

:thumbsup:

nickwhibs
25-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Yep Butcher is a good shout :agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Yep Butcher is a good shout :agree:

I think the steaks are too high.

Craig_in_Prague
25-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Load of mince.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Load of mince.

What's yer beef, pal?

Craig_in_Prague
25-06-2011, 07:21 PM
What's yer beef, pal?

Wouldn't mind getting hold of some chops.

nickwhibs
25-06-2011, 07:23 PM

As long as he doesn't get the chop too soon

gramskiwood
25-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Might get some decent pies :taxi

Gettin' Auld
25-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Butcher would be an offal choice!!

Mibbes Aye
25-06-2011, 07:35 PM

I suppose we need a vacancy first before we can ask whether Butcher could fillet :agree:

snooky
25-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Heids. Sand.

Kinda coming round to that way of thinking meself :cool2:

sesoim
25-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Butcher would know how to beef up our team. And he'd certainly give them a grilling if necessary. I think he'd be worth his pound in flesh, as long as he doesn't enter the job ham-fisted.

Some fans might be cut up at us appointing an ex-Ger, but I reckon they'd end up as happy as a butcher's dog.

bighairyfaeleith
25-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Is scott lindsay not the chief exec???

Does petrie still have that big a say in day to day issues?

Truth is very few people know and I'm pretty sure they don't post on here

Ryan69
25-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Nevio Scala

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevio_Scala

He threw his hat in the ring last time...Would certainly be an interesting choice!

Craig_in_Prague
25-06-2011, 07:43 PM
We'll need to be patient till he's weighed things up.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Butcher would know how to beef up our team. And he'd certainly give them a grilling if necessary. I think he'd be worth his pound in flesh, as long as he doesn't enter the job ham-fisted.

Some fans might be cut up at us appointing an ex-Ger, but I reckon they'd end up as happy as a butcher's dog.

Especially if he signed Connor Sammon and persuaded Bert Troutmann to come out of retirement.

Craig_in_Prague
25-06-2011, 07:45 PM

they'd get a roasting at times no doubt, just hope he doesn't make a pigs ear of it all.

Thomson
25-06-2011, 07:47 PM

:top marks

Ernie Cobra
25-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Especially if he signed Connor Sammon and persuaded Bert Troutmann to come out of retirement.

Have we employed Michael Fish to replace cc?

think thats on the o fish al site now is it?

sesoim
25-06-2011, 07:51 PM
:top marks

Thank you kind friend!

snooky
25-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Butcher would be an offal choice!!

Maybe, but at least he'd have them lazy sods playing for the Jersey!

sixtwo
25-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Bring back JC.

John Collins is the man.

Ryan69
25-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Bert Troutmann is a legend mate...Nothing would get past him! :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Seriously???

Butcher is a hun! A dirty loyalist Rangers, larkhall dwelling tramp.

I would never, ever attend a hibs match if he was our manager. I would give up!

I'll support whoever is manager of Hibs. On the proviso he's never bothered the Sex Offenders Register, of course.

heretoday
25-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Isn't Butcher a bit of a country gent now? He seems an ok bloke.

There isn't an obvious choice for Hibs boss. It's a worrying situation.

Are there no up-and-coming managers in the lower divisions?

hfc rd
25-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I would like either Gordon Strachan or Terry Butcher. Two very good managers. But then again I think everyone knows that Petrie will just go for Michael O'Neil from Shamrock Rovers. This guy is always linked with us whenever the Hibs job becomes available and it won't surprise me if he is appointed. But then again, I will give him just like every other ex-Hibs manager in the past and that is my full backing to get the team sorted and make us a success on the pitch.

bandylegs_jLeighton
25-06-2011, 08:28 PM
I do not know why everyone is so keen on Butcher.

As far as I can remember his managerial career prior to ICT has been pretty unsuccessful. I would not say his Motherwell or ICT teams have been particularly entertaining in their style of play. He has also just signed Tade whom has been described by the majority on here as an absolute donkey.

It is also worth noting that an element of our support would probably get on his back early doors if things were to go wrong given his Rangers connections.

I do not see any attraction other than the fact ICT have done well the last couple of years, which is largely down to the goals that Rooney has scored (a player Butcher inherited).

Not against him - just don't understand his apparent popularity.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I do not know why everyone is so keen on Butcher.

As far as I can remember his managerial career prior to ICT has been pretty unsuccessful. I would not say his Motherwell or ICT teams have been particularly entertaining in their style of play. He has also just signed Tade whom has been described by the majority on here as an absolute donkey.

It is also worth noting that an element of our support would probably get on his back early doors if things were to go wrong given his Rangers connections.

I do not see any attraction other than the fact ICT have done well the last couple of years, which is largely down to the goals that Rooney has scored (a player Butcher inherited).

Not against him - just don't understand his apparent popularity.

To be fair, Tade is pretty much the level ICT can go for so that's not really Butcher's fault.

Likewise, with Calderwood at Forest he could bring in Earnshaw whilst with us it was Sodje.

maturehibby
25-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Billy Reid for me .
When you see what he did for Hamilton by keeping them up operating on a shoe string and getting the best out of journeymen players .
He also uses them to the best of their ability

IWasThere2016
25-06-2011, 08:42 PM
RP is not going to select a senior manager who will challenge him - no chance.

The talk is Michael O'Neill - and I think this is on the money.

bandylegs_jLeighton
25-06-2011, 08:48 PM
To be fair, Tade is pretty much the level ICT can go for so that's not really Butcher's fault.

Likewise, with Calderwood at Forest he could bring in Earnshaw whilst with us it was Sodje.

Granted it is tough uncover good quality players prepared to come to Scotland on relatively small wages, but it has been done in the past, and can still be done now.

For example, although he seems to have been a loose cannon, the players that Jim Gannon brought in at Motherwell have gone on to show themselves to be decent acquisitions; Hateley, Humphrey etc.

Butcher has brought in Tade - whilst his predecessor at ITC brought in Rooney. No comparison there.

I would want any incoming manager to have an eye for a quality player to build a good quality, balanced squad. Afterall, his first task would be to sign 3-4 new players to supplement the current squad which simply is not good enough.

RickyS
25-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Granted it is tough uncover good quality players prepared to come to Scotland on relatively small wages, but it has been done in the past, and can still be done now.

For example, although he seems to have been a loose cannon, the players that Jim Gannon brought in at Motherwell have gone on to show themselves to be decent acquisitions; Hateley, Humphrey etc.

Butcher has brought in Tade - whilst his predecessor at ITC brought in Rooney. No comparison there.

I would want any incoming manager to have an eye for a quality player to build a good quality, balanced squad. Afterall, his first task would be to sign 3-4 new players to supplement the current squad which simply is not good enough.

it was Butcher who brought him in on loan initially from Stoke

chrisski33
25-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Billy Reid for me .
When you see what he did for Hamilton by keeping them up operating on a shoe string and getting the best out of journeymen players .
He also uses them to the best of their ability

No danger! Were hamilton not relegated this year??

bandylegs_jLeighton
25-06-2011, 09:06 PM
it was Butcher who brought him in on loan initially from Stoke

It wasn't. It was Craig Brewster.

RickyS
25-06-2011, 09:14 PM
It wasn't. It was Craig Brewster.

stand corrected mate:agree:

HibeeSince85
25-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Terry Butcher stands out if we are looking in Scotland, can't see Strachan taking the job and I'm not even sure I want him.

It's not my choice though but we have to bring someone in with experience and who wants to be here.

Didn't CC apply for the Hibs job a few times, showed how much he wanted this job, what the hell has happened to turn things so quick.

darwenhibby
25-06-2011, 10:52 PM
what about Ian Murray as manager with an experienced No 2?

Makes sense.

hfc rd
25-06-2011, 11:04 PM
what about Ian Murray as manager with an experienced No 2?

Makes sense.

Wouldn't mind something like this.

Manager - Gordon Strachan/Terry Butcher etc.
Assistant Manager - Ian Murray

Dibben
25-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Wouldn't mind something like this.

Manager - Gordon Strachan/Terry Butcher etc.
Assistant Manager - Ian Murray

I would be happy with IM getting a role within any new management structure, be it coach or AM. However, I woul think he is nowhere near ready being manager!!

hfc rd
25-06-2011, 11:35 PM
I would be happy with IM getting a role within any new management structure, be it coach or AM. However, I woul think he is nowhere near ready being manager!!

That's what I think as well.

AlbertK86
25-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Can you imagine Petrie having to deal with a &quot;proper&quot; manager like Strachan ? No chance. He'll pick another weak-minded, un-demanding, yes man who he can shove around and who will be grateful for the few pennies RP throws at them once and while. As long as Petrie is in charge, we will never progress - mid-tabled mediocrity is Petrie's view of what is acceptable.<br />o
<br />

Exactamundo

IF and it is a massive if CC leaves then my previous sentiments must re-emerge. Something stinks behind the scenes for a man who joined up to be his own man to suddenly want to be a number two. We all slag mad vlad but Rod is exactly the same. His way or know way. No money despite what i told you when you signed up. Difference ......rod just more sneaky and not as vocal as the mad one

snooky
25-06-2011, 11:54 PM
<br />o
<br />

Exactamundo

IF and it is a massive if CC leaves then my previous sentiments must re-emerge. Something stinks behind the scenes for a man who joined up to be his own man to suddenly want to be a number two. We all slag mad vlad but Rod is exactly the same. His way or know way. No money despite what i told you when you signed up. Difference ......rod just more sneaky and not as vocal as the mad one
Mr P gets off very lightly on here.
Spare the Rod and foil the riled. :wink:

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Hibs need an experienced manager/no2 if Calderwood leaves. This is becoming embarrassing how many managers we've had in the last 10 years, it's not a coincidence that Petrie has signed them. FFS we need a bit of stability, how can we expect players to stay for a few seasons when the managers change every 9 months or so.

RIP Bestie
26-06-2011, 12:40 AM

What a load of nonsense.
Alex McLeish was a great appointment and hasn't done too badly since leaving us.
JC won us our first piece of silverware in 17 years.
Blobby Williamson left Hibs for a better paid position and ended up managing at international level. He was not everyones cup of tea but he did get us to a cup final and he did blood the best crop of youngsters this club has produced in a long time
Colin Calderwood is being chased by not one but 2 clubs with serious aspirations of playing in the premiership within a year.
Eyebrows were raised at all of these appointments. It seems to me that when Mr Petrie takes the advise of the fans on who to appoint as a new manager it goes seriously Pete Tong. Let him pick our next manager if CC goes and you never know he could unearth another gem, tell him who you want and you get another Yogi.

gramskiwood
26-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Are you insane???

Craig_in_Prague
26-06-2011, 10:40 AM
What a load of nonsense.
Alex McLeish was a great appointment and hasn't done too badly since leaving us.
JC won us our first piece of silverware in 17 years.
Blobby Williamson left Hibs for a better paid position and ended up managing at international level. He was not everyones cup of tea but he did get us to a cup final and he did blood the best crop of youngsters this club has produced in a long time
Colin Calderwood is being chased by not one but 2 clubs with serious aspirations of playing in the premiership within a year.
Eyebrows were raised at all of these appointments. It seems to me that when Mr Petrie takes the advise of the fans on who to appoint as a new manager it goes seriously Pete Tong. Let him pick our next manager if CC goes and you never know he could unearth another gem, tell him who you want and you get another Yogi.

Aye ok Rod.

RIP
26-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Is scott lindsay not the chief exec???

Does petrie still have that big a say in day to day issues?

Truth is very few people know and I'm pretty sure they don't post on here

It's funny how we scrutinise so much of what comes out of the coach's mouth but seem to know so little about the people who run the football and non-football side of our club

Last year

Scott Lindsay - Chief Exec, day to day running, all aspects of the business apart from Football
Rod Petrie, Chairman and Director of Football Operations
Fife Hyland - Marketing and Communications Director

This year

Fife Hyland - Chief Exec, day to day running, all aspects of the business apart from Football
Rod Petrie, Chairman and
Scott Lindsay Director of Football Operations

In the Hibernian model - the Football Director:-

Sets the Football Budget
Appoints the Coaching Team
Conducts all player negotiations - new and existing
Manages all disciplinary matters

If you are a player or a coach you report to the Football Director

The first team coach only tells you how to train and play on a Saturday. It's a diminished role and well short of the Manager or Gaffer role of the old days. In my opinion, Collins, Mixu, Yogi all struggled with this and did a lot of talking to the Directors through the press, particularly when it came to the ability of the DOF to capture their primary targets or putting other players to them who weren't even on their list

I'm less sure how Colin has adjusted to the way it's done at Hibs but if his original intention was to 'be his own man' I would suggest that the first team coach role at Hibs might not satisfy that ambition

hhibs
26-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Heids. Sand.

Agreed, but till we find a new owner for the club..... we are stuck.Frankly I believe that a large number of the fans realize that but are powerless to do much about it....................except not spend their cash on the Hibernian product.

Hibbyradge
26-06-2011, 11:57 AM

What does this standing up to RP and the board look like?

What should the manager stand up to, exactly?

lucky
26-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Very few clubs allow the manager a free hand to run the club. Even fergie does not do the negotiations. FFS who in their right mind would allow ex footballers financial control of millions of pounds

Dibben
26-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Very few clubs allow the manager a free hand to run the club. Even fergie does not do the negotiations. FFS who in their right mind would allow ex footballers financial control of millions of pounds

Mind you, is MON not a qualified accountant or the like?

Not that that will make any difference... :greengrin