PDA

View Full Version : John Hughes

Spike Mandela
25-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Anybody listen to him on radio Scotland.......

He wouldn't have signed O'Connor or Sproule and given more backing from the board he would have challenged the OF apparently:confused:

Just read it on twitter.

The Voice Of Reason
25-06-2011, 03:19 PM

He wouldn't have signed O'Connorn or Sproule and given more backing from the board he would have challenged the OF apparently:confused:

Just read it on twitter.

Hughes signed De Graaf (headline signing) and Hart.......case closed.

Spike Mandela
25-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Also Chris Porter is aware of interest from Hibs but is keeping his options open according to Chris MacGlauchlin senior BBC reporter.

Prawn Sandwich
25-06-2011, 03:22 PM
...."..I just heard his ramble in the last 10 minutes of the programme and he was singing the praises of Stokes and he said he was a success at Hibs.

Given what I watched for the majority of last season ....... No ,I'm beginning to ramble too. :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
25-06-2011, 03:33 PM
The only way Yogi would challenge the OF is intellectually.

Dashing Bob S
25-06-2011, 03:38 PM

He wouldn't have signed O'Connor or Sproule and given more backing from the board he would have challenged the OF apparently:confused:

Just read it on twitter.

That's one of these meaningless cliches in Scottish football that failed managers of Hibs and Hearts trot out from time to time. I daresay that if STF cashed in his estimated £300m fortune and said 'there you go Bob, spend the lot on players and wages' i'd have a side capable of challenging the OF.

Brebners Bookie
25-06-2011, 03:39 PM
We love you yogi but keep shtoom

archiebald
25-06-2011, 03:44 PM
He (Hughes) never had a clue-now just wants to put a dig in every time he can

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Funny how his view of what he could have done for the club, is fabulous in hindsight. The now-sight that had to be used when he was in charge tells an affy different story. Challenge the OF? The same boy that looked on clueless while we were howked twice on a tattie field in Perth? Nah. Maybe no.

sahib
25-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Just read it on twitter.

Neither would Calderwood, I suspect. Brought in bid to shift season tickets.

Andy74
25-06-2011, 04:52 PM
That's one of these meaningless cliches in Scottish football that failed managers of Hibs and Hearts trot out from time to time. I daresay that if STF cashed in his estimated £300m fortune and said 'there you go Bob, spend the lot on players and wages' i'd have a side capable of challenging the OF.
Although as late as mid February we were challenging for second place having won at Parkhead.

Perhaps he was suggesting that if he'd been given some more leeway in January we could have continued a challenge?

Judas Iscariot
25-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Least he was committed to the cause..

Reaper
25-06-2011, 05:17 PM

Just read it on twitter.

But surely he knew he wouldn't be to that extent, that was part of the reason JC left, why Mowbray looked to pastures new, Why Judas errrr....became a Judas, why players turn Hibs down for ****ty teams who pay bigger wages?

I'm sorry the mans a buffoon and I've lost any respect I had left for him. He can sit there and say (in hindsight) all he wants BUT he knew the terms and conditions when he signed his contract (as he admitted) and I've no doubt he wud've known his likely budget. If he was so ****in competent why......

1. Is he still out of a Job?
2. Could he not pull us out a slump (as a good leader should be able to) when we were in it?

Apart from the above, words fail me! :confused:

Cracker
25-06-2011, 05:17 PM

The way he cracked on at times he should have been committed

Andy74
25-06-2011, 05:19 PM

And had seven months of results to point to at some stage. That some can be convinced that CC is any better after 6 bad months and 1 good one still puzzles me.

If Hughes had really been tactically clueless and had bullied the poor players a new manager should have been able to sort that instantly.

BEEJ
25-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Although as late as mid February we were challenging for second place having won at Parkhead.
We were 4th in the SPL, seven points adrift of Celtic in 2nd after 27 matches played. 'Challenging' is probably stretching things a bit.

Perhaps he was suggesting that if he'd been given some more leeway in January we could have continued a challenge?
Yogi was given resources in the January transfer window of 2010 and spent them on, not one, but two keepers. Plus Alan Gow who was an expensive flop.

And note that no player actually left the club during the January window of 2010. So he was allowed to increase the size of the squad by three players. Contrast CC's January window this year when he brought in 7 players with 5 players leaving.

So just how much extra resource is Yogi now claiming he needed at that point in the 2009/10 season? :confused:

I see his comments from earlier on this afternoon regarding what he would do differently are now featured on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13917136.stm

:rolleyes: I don't think he realises that he would have had little choice in whether or not to accept O'Connor and Sproule back into the fold.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2011, 06:58 PM
"It's easy to talk the talk but you need to prove it" - John Hughes 25 June 2011.

Yes, John, and that's why you were given your P45. Your soundbites became increasingly tiresome and weary and you did little to back up your proclamations.

Hibs man through and through and I'm gutted it didn't work out for him, but he can't go taking the moral high ground and feel he's particularly qualified to condemn the job a manager of Hibernian is doing given that he made a complete James Blunt of it.

Sas_The_Hibby
25-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Is this you throwing your hat in the ring, Bob? :wink:

If we're being upfront about it, I'm willing to turn things around for only £250 million! :greengrin

forthhibby
25-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Funny how his view of what he could have done for the club, is fabulous in hindsight. The now-sight that had to be used when he was in charge tells an affy different story. Challenge the OF? The same boy that looked on clueless while we were howked twice on a tattie field in Perth? Nah. Maybe no.

that's what also came to mind when i was listening to him and also his comment last january that calderwood should go with experience (kevin mcbride, etc) if we were to get out of relegation battle with hamilton and st mirren

sesoim
25-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Does anybody really care what John Hughes thinks about Hibs? He is a big thicky who fluked the job because Petrie knew he would be a popular appointment with a certain section of the support.

coco22
25-06-2011, 07:32 PM
hughes actually said that at his interview (or in any interview) you have to appear enthusiastic about things despite the fact that you don't necessarily agree with them, in order to get the job. you kent the crack john so dinnae moan about it now

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Interviewed folk ken with's gaun oan.

hibsbollah
25-06-2011, 08:55 PM
He's turning into a Hibs' Gary Mackay.
Please someone give him something useful to do with his time.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2011, 08:57 PM
He's turning into a Hibs' Gary Mackay.
Please someone give him something useful to do with his time.

A pair of underpants and a couple of pencils to stick up his nose.

That's no a dig at him by the way, I'm doing the exact same just now and I'm still not bored, despite starting at 2pm. :agree:

RickyS
25-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Does anybody really care what John Hughes thinks about Hibs? He is a big thicky who fluked the job because Petrie knew he would be a popular appointment with a certain section of the support.

out of order mate to be honest. which element of the support was it who were happy with the appointment?

Speedway
25-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Brilliant :top marks

hfc rd
25-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah Hughes, you could talk the talk but you couldn't walk the walk. All talk and no action. Yes we know it is a gamble on Ivan and Gazza but the thing these guys have is PASSION and we know that they will give their all for the team. That is something your players never seemed to have. The only two signings I thought were good were Miller(occasionally) and Stokes. The rest were mediocre/*****. Lets look at some of your signnigs made and some of the signings made after your sacking or players that hardly got a chance under your reign that were

Hart or Towell
Grounds or Booth
De Graff or Sproule
Rankin or Palsson
Gow or Galbraith
Trakys or Sodje
Duffy or O'Connor

I'm sure that most people would prefer most of the names on the right.

IWasThere2016
25-06-2011, 09:55 PM
"It's easy to talk the talk but you need to prove it" - John Hughes 25 June 2011.

Yes, John, and that's why you were given your P45. Your soundbites became increasingly tiresome and weary and you did little to back up your proclamations.

Hibs man through and through and I'm gutted it didn't work out for him, but he can't go taking the moral high ground and feel he's particularly qualified to condemn the job a manager of Hibernian is doing given that he made a complete James Blunt of it.

Yup - spot on! It wents tats up .. although if ye listen to Yogi ye'd never know!

IWasThere2016
25-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah Hughes, you could talk the talk but you couldn't walk the walk. All talk and no action. Yes we know it is a gamble on Ivan and Gazza but the thing these guys have is PASSION and we know that they will give their all for the team. That is something your players never seemed to have. The only two signings I thought were good were Miller(occasionally) and Stokes. The rest were mediocre/*****. Lets look at some of your signnigs made and some of the signings made after your sacking or players that hardly got a chance under your reign that were

Hart or Towell
Grounds or Booth
De Graff or Sproule
Rankin or Palsson
Gow or Galbraith
Trakys or Sodje
Duffy or O'Connor

Great post IMHO

bigstu
25-06-2011, 11:01 PM

well if he was then it didnt rub off on his players! I remember thinking as yogi was such a hibs man he'd have the players fired right up for the likes of derby matches but sadly that was not the case, some of our performances against that lot under yogi were the worst ive seen! And that wasnt down to ability, the lack of effort in these games was unreal.

hfc rd
25-06-2011, 11:09 PM
well if he was then it didnt rub off on his players! I remember thinking as yogi was such a hibs man he'd have the players fired right up for the likes of derby matches but sadly that was not the case, some of our performances against that lot under yogi were the worst ive seen! And that wasnt down to ability, the lack of effort in these games was unreal.

True. It's like the players were scared of them. That game at the PBS when we lost 2-1 was completely terrible from Hibs. They could so easily have f***** us that day had they taken those missed chances.

IWasThere2016
25-06-2011, 11:23 PM

:faf:

IWasThere2016
25-06-2011, 11:26 PM
I see his comments from earlier on this afternoon regarding what he would do differently are now featured on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13917136.stm

:rolleyes: I don't think he realises that he would have had little choice in whether or not to accept O'Connor and Sproule back into the fold.

Yup - in his ane wee world .. He still took some munters wi' him too :wink: and they still 'apologise' for him today :wink:

Holmesdale Hibs
26-06-2011, 05:02 AM
There were alot of people on here saying we shouldn't sign Sproule and GOC so don't have a problem with him saying this as well. He might be right but hopefully not.

The bit about challenging the OF is pash but despite him talking rubbish half the time I still find it difficult to dislike someone who talks so passionately about Hibs.

Aldo
26-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Thats his opinion TBH...but Hughes bought in (apart from Miller and Stokes) a pile of cack.

Would rather of had the players CC signed. his handling of the Stokes transfer...ie playing him at St Mirren when he knew he was being sold...bullying the younger players (allegedly Hanlon at St Mirren).

He can say wot he likes but he lost the dressing room and the respect of a lot of players and as a manager you just cant do that IMHO.

He had his crack at the job, got it wrong and was sacked/left by mutual consent.

A wee bit sour grapes in parts IMHO.

Iain G
26-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Its about time Yogi just shut up before making himself look more of a fool, he seems to be rent a quote at the moment on things relating to Hibs and seems to take no persuading to voice his criticism of the club.

The man failed at Hibs, he needs to get over that.

That he has failed to pick up any management job since he left Hibs which speaks volumes for other clubs views of his management capability.

Baldy Foghorn
26-06-2011, 09:14 AM
There were alot of people on here saying we shouldn't sign Sproule and GOC so don't have a problem with him saying this as well. He might be right but hopefully not.

The bit about challenging the OF is pash but despite him talking rubbish half the time I still find it difficult to dislike someone who talks so passionately about Hibs.

He might talk passionately about us, but where was the passion when we lost by 4 goals at St Johnstone and Hamilton......(My boys could not be faulted for effort, dinnae talk keek)

Steve-O
26-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Yogi's an idiot.

Phil D. Rolls
26-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Its about time Yogi just shut up before making himself look more of a fool, he seems to be rent a quote at the moment on things relating to Hibs and seems to take no persuading to voice his criticism of the club.

The man failed at Hibs, he needs to get over that.

That he has failed to pick up any management job since he left Hibs which speaks volumes for other clubs views of his management capability.

Fitba folk ken wits gaun oan. :agree: (I mean went on).

Iain G
26-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Fitba folk ken wits gaun oan. :agree: (I mean went on).

Aye, ah suppose ah dinny ***** anaw as ah live in yon rugby playin country noo, ya ken... :wink:

Heard he even got knocked back from being a stunt double for the new Banana Splits movie...

cad
26-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Neither would Calderwood, I suspect. Brought in bid to shift season tickets.

:agree:

Fans favs ,bums on seats , what you watch on the park ,
now thats a different story.
Yogi should just shut the f..k up had his chance blew it l

lucky
26-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Clearly still thinks he did well at Hibs. Fortunately the majority of the rest of us know different. His last game at Perth when we lost 2-0 and played awful and he never made a sub and stood at the side of the pitching looking lost summed it all up for me. He was totally Clueless. There are many on here who are equally passionate about Hibs but there is no way any of us should be the manager. It also shows what people in the game think about him 7 months on and still no work. Time to move on Yogi. You had your chance and blew it.

truehibernian
26-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Clearly still thinks he did well at Hibs. Fortunately the majority of the rest of us know different. His last game at Perth when we lost 2-0 and played awful and he never made a sub and stood at the side of the pitching looking lost summed it all up for me. He was totally Clueless. There are many on here who are equally passionate about Hibs but there is no way any of us should be the manager. It also shows what people in the game think about him 7 months on and still no work. Time to move on Yogi. You had your chance and blew it.

You missed out the bit where he hid in his dugout for the last 10 minutes and then quickly ran up the tunnel after hearing the 'Yogi get to ****' chants.........didn't have time for faceless fans, didn't have time for the large travelling support real ones either.......clueless idiot whose interview was so full of contradictions and hypocrisy it's not worth picking apart and analysing. Hibernian is a better place without him at the helm.

totalfootball
26-06-2011, 10:33 AM
You missed out the bit where he hid in his dugout for the last 10 minutes and then quickly ran up the tunnel after hearing the 'Yogi get to ****' chants.........didn't have time for faceless fans, didn't have time for the large travelling support real ones either.......clueless idiot whose interview was so full of contradictions and hypocrisy it's not worth picking apart and analysing. Hibernian is a better place without him at the helm.

The Hibs crowd were so pumped up for that game aswel,I remember before kick off it was a good atmosphere and we gave them a brilliant ovation at the end of the warm up etc! but the game itself was a non event and we were so poor. Typical Hibs though cos st johnstone were equally poor and instead of going away with a nil nil, we give awasy 2 sloppy goals! Its been the story of Hibs for many years now but tbh Yogi I dont see how things were gonna significantly improve with u at the helm, having said that they didnt with cc either..........

Keith_M
26-06-2011, 11:32 AM

You'll upset certain people on here with remarks like that (well one, at least).

Yogi had us finishing in fourth every year and, based mostly on the fact that Hibs appointed a numpty to replace him, was obviously an under appreciated managerial genius. The only reason he failed was becuase the Hibs fans were constantly on his back. He had planned all along for most of the players contracts to run out this summer, so he could rebuild (the fact he now claims he had little say in player contracts is neither here nor there, it was obviously his plan).

BEEJ
26-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Yogi had us finishing in fourth every year and, based mostly on the fact that Hibs appointed a numpty to replace him, was obviously an under appreciated managerial genius. The only reason he failed was becuase the Hibs fans were constantly on his back. He had planned all along for most of the players contracts to run out this summer, so he could rebuild (the fact he now claims he had little say in player contracts is neither here nor there, it was obviously his plan).
:agree: Good point!

Dinkydoo
26-06-2011, 12:38 PM
I wish Yogi would just shut it.

He's only making himself out to be a complete and utter fanny with his constant comments in the media about the team he was sacked from.

Get over it John.

LeithBoozy
26-06-2011, 12:50 PM
With loads of positions to fill he wasted wages bringing in goalies, you can only play one at a time. When Yogi was asked why, he said you had to get them when they were avalable?. He is a good Hibby, but IMHO I think we would have went down if he had stayed. :rolleyes:

Dunbar Hibee
26-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Yogi, please just shut up.

Winston Ingram
26-06-2011, 02:18 PM
The man is muppet. Why on earth is this guy getting so much air time? Last week he was interviewed by SSN re Villas-Boas appointment at Chelsea:confused:

He really should think before opening his trap. If 'hungry' players = equals De Graff, Hart, Dickoh, Duffy etc and he'd sign them over GOC and Ivan then it really sums him up.

As for backing from the board, he signed about 15 or 16 players and he was probably backed more than any manager in our history...and how he can't work out why he was emptied after going nearly a full calender year with just 4 wins is beyond staggering:rolleyes:

ScottB
26-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Hughes needs to get something new to do with his time.

His idiotic soundbites drove me up the wall towards the end, the constant 'Ah cannae fault the boys eh, they've been pure dead brilliant for me since ah got here n that' after we'd just been pumped by St Johnstone / St Mirren / Hearts / whoever was intolerable.

The fact that he hasn't gotten another job yet speaks volumes. The guy had a lucky run of results, hit the wall, had no plan B, no motivational skills and signed a lot of expensive dross. Personally reckon if he'd been left in charge all of last season we'd have gone down.

BEEJ
26-06-2011, 04:07 PM
As for backing from the board, he signed about 15 or 16 players and he was probably backed more than any manager in our history...and how he can't work out why he was emptied after going nearly a full calender year with just 4 wins is beyond staggering:rolleyes:
Think you need to check your stats.

'That' run began mid February 2010 and Yogi was emptied in September 2010.

Bostonhibby
26-06-2011, 05:01 PM

:agree: maybe meant to say that he should have been committed? thats how the ramblings towards the end came across. He lost the dressing room which was stuffed with mates or players whose rise to Hibs depended on him but he couldn't get them to produce any heart for him, his tactics on and just post the Dutch tour were baffling - no connection between what he seemed to be asking the players to do and their ability to do it.

I agree he is sadly morphing into our very own Gary Mackay and its a great shame as I felt he was a good player and captain for us.

Bostonhibby
26-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Hughes needs to get something new to do with his time.

His idiotic soundbites drove me up the wall towards the end, the constant 'Ah cannae fault the boys eh, they've been pure dead brilliant for me since ah got here n that' after we'd just been pumped by St Johnstone / St Mirren / Hearts / whoever was intolerable.

The fact that he hasn't gotten another job yet speaks volumes. The guy had a lucky run of results, hit the wall, had no plan B, no motivational skills and signed a lot of expensive dross. Personally reckon if he'd been left in charge all of last season we'd have gone down.

Agree, but was it no Fandabydozy?

Hibiza
27-06-2011, 03:24 PM
yogi, love you to bits but slagging of signings and brown nosing the huns, not good biz.:confused:

KiddA
27-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Hart or Towell
Grounds or Booth
De Graff or Sproule
Rankin or Palsson
Gow or Galbraith
Trakys or Sodje
Duffy or O'Connor

:top marks

Beefster
27-06-2011, 04:52 PM

Hart or Towell
Grounds or Booth
De Graff or Sproule
Rankin or Palsson
Gow or Galbraith
Trakys or Sodje
Duffy or O'Connor

Hughes didn't sign Rankin.

Yours etc,
A. Pedant

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Hughes didn't sign Rankin.

Yours etc,
A. Pedant

:agree: He's one of Petries.

Andy74
27-06-2011, 10:15 PM
And Hughes signed Galbraith did he not? And Stokes, Miller, McBride who all had good form that lasted longer than the likes of Palsson and Towell.

Kevvy1875
27-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Yogi needs to move on. I won't ridicule him as others have done as he is a Hibby at heart but he really needs to just think of his fellow Hibs fans before giving his opinions to the press.

sahib
27-06-2011, 11:39 PM
And Hughes signed Galbraith did he not? And Stokes, Miller, McBride who all had good form that lasted longer than the likes of Palsson and Towell.

I think Galbraith was signed before Yogi appeared.

hfc rd
28-06-2011, 12:07 AM
I think Galbraith was signed before Yogi appeared.

Some folk say that Mixu signed him on a pre-contract while others say that he was one of Yogi's first signings.

Don't know which one to believe? :dunno: