PDA

View Full Version : Can Calderwood stay?

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2011, 06:28 AM
yes or no?

hibsbollah
25-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Yes.

stokesmessiah
25-06-2011, 06:30 AM
yes or no?

No he can do one now.

If he did stay now and we get poor results in what are 3 tricky opening matches can you imagine what things will be like ???

7Hero
25-06-2011, 06:42 AM
wonder what would be important for the board though, hold out for a bigger price or let him go now and get more time to get somebody in..

i wonder ?

John_the_angus_hibby
25-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Yes

Sent from another universe!

Ernie Cobra
25-06-2011, 06:45 AM
no thank you, wasnt overly impressed when he was appointed, even less so with last seasons performances and finish. After his comments i am raging, he was ran out of Forrest FFS, so what exactly has this bloke achieved to earn his johnny big baws status? I wanted Michael Oneill at the time, and notice now that he hasn't signed a new contract with Shamrock :wink:

Strachan will not come to easter road because he probably thinks he can get better, and will get a bigger club, Butcher Yes id have him, but not before Oneill who has done a magnificent job at Shamrock. (dirty hoops wearing bassas that they are):greengrin

jdships
25-06-2011, 07:09 AM
In a word NO
His credibility is in tatters and his commitment to HFC is seriously in doubt.
If he stays he will be " damned if he does and damned if he doesn't "

The Club is bigger than the individual IMO.

:flag:

Andy74
25-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Hearts have just done him a huge favour.

Beefster
25-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Yes but I don't think he should now.

shagpile
25-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Hearts have just done him a huge favour.

They haven't given him Thomsons ISP addy have they?

alfieboi75
25-06-2011, 07:21 AM
After reading articles about him, being unsure, rather he went and the quicker he goes, the better.

Cheerio Calderwood:bye:

Forgot to add.....Petrie - you can go.....make it quick!!!

WindyMiller
25-06-2011, 07:28 AM
In a word NO
His credibility is in tatters and his commitment to HFC is seriously in doubt.
If he stays he will be " damned if he does and damned if he doesn't "

The Club is bigger than the individual IMO.

:flag:

This is the point JD. A couple of bad results or another player "burst-up" and we'll be calling for his removal.
Still 3 weeks of pre-season and 2 months of the window to go.
Time to go.

Jim44
25-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Can Calderwood stay?

No way. I hope Petrie is getting somebody lined up and that we don't let it drag on till too near the start of the season. I hope he uses the 'found' money to give the new manager a budget to bring in a few more players.

matty_f
25-06-2011, 07:42 AM
I'd have said yes up until watching the interview with him on the bbc yesterday. I think it's clear that his thoughts and ambitions lie elsewhere and no matter what the reasons for that (family, happiness at Hibs, money, whatever) he will always have that question mark over his head now as to whether or not he is committed to Hibs, and that is a situation that simply cannot be allowed.

Let him leave, make sure we're compensated, and get a replacement in sharpish. That's the best solution all round, IMHO.

Aldo
25-06-2011, 07:52 AM
I am a fan of CC however as after his recent interviews its clear his mind is not totally on the job and therefore its a

NO

from me. I think his mind is made up TBH and we should be given the courtesy of an answer from him soonest. Just my opinion anyway.

Oranje39
25-06-2011, 08:01 AM
After watching the interview on the BBC website, I think it has to be a resounding NO! He is basically saying someone come and get me out of here! He doesn't want to be here but doesn't want to walk away or wait to be sacked further down the line.

Before seeing the interview, I was very much wanting him to stay for the long term.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Not as naive to believe that our job is the be-all and end-all in the football world and that we all move on to different things, but a manager is more than a hired hand, at WHATEVER level. The public face, the motivator, the man with the vision and the drive. Calderwood seems to be failing in all those basic requirements and would appear to be looking at the next job, without even beginning on the one he has now. He is making it difficult for himself.

WhileTheChief..
25-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Interview with CC in the Scotsman today.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Calderwood-is-torn-as-Forest.6790947.jp

Sounds like he is taking a day or 2 to consider offers. I'll be amazed iif he's still here on Tuesday. He should go now.

marinello59
25-06-2011, 08:36 AM
He should go and I reckon he will go.

snooky
25-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Interview with CC in the Scotsman today.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Calderwood-is-torn-as-Forest.6790947.jp

Sounds like he is taking a day or 2 to consider offers. I'll be amazed iif he's still here on Tuesday. He should go now.

If that's the way you're thinking Mr C, let me help you with your decision ....
:bye:

Franck is God
25-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Its easy to be critical of Calderwood right now but the facts haven't changed since the beginning of the week. Neither Brimingham or Forest have approached Hibs to request permission to speak to our manager or agreed any kind of compensation package so realistically what is he meant to say other than he is currently Hibs manager looking forward to the new season. The majority of his career has been spent in England and clearly he has ambitions to work in the Premiership again.

Bearing in mind that Birmingham are currently taking legal action against Villa for how they lost their own manager will I imagine be doing things 100% by the book if they want Calderwood.

McLaren has been completely out of order mentioning CC publicly before any contact has been made with Hibs and I would hope that we are considering legal action ourselves for a very public piece of tapping up.

I personally hope he does stay, I think he now has a young, hungry, talented squad and with the additions of Sproule, O'Connor & O'Hanlon he has a good opportunity to take us forward. It has taken him only 6 months to achieve this and at times it's been hard to watch but now he's almost finished and I'd be disappointed if he walked away without even seeing his team play.

However if he does go he leaves us with a much better squad than we had when he arrived and for that I will be grateful for his work and the next man will have an easier job as a result.

offshorehibby
25-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Right, it's a tricky one this. I hope CC and his Misses think long and hard over the weekend and decide that Hibernian is the place to be for the next couple of years. We need stability and continuity at management level.

If he decides to leave he needs to get out now.

The board i hope are up to speed and prepared for this we need the 'right' man in straight away.

Down side about a good up and coming manager coming in is if he's any good he could be away after a year or so.

Please, please not Strachan apart from celtic, he's been a disaster everywhere.

nomad
25-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Having just watched the BBC interview and read the Scotsman he should go now. He obviously has no commitment to Hibernian FC Why let him spend more money on players that a new manager may not want.

Bye Bye CC

Keith_M
25-06-2011, 09:07 AM
The club has to say to him...

"Make up your mind by Monday and if you haven't decided to stay for definite, then just go."

stoneyburn hibs
25-06-2011, 09:12 AM
can someone please put a link up of the bbc interview last night, or even let me know what was said, missed it

ballengeich
25-06-2011, 09:15 AM
I think he can stay. At least he's being honest about weighing up his options. Would people be happier if he came out with McLeish's "I'll be here as long as you want me"?

If he does stay it'll show he prefers being Hibs manager to the other available jobs.

Saorsa
25-06-2011, 09:15 AM
yes or no?Not IMO. It seems quite clear tae me now that he's no commited tae Hibs and he'd only be here if he couldnae get away for other reasons.

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2011, 09:28 AM
My only addition to this is a personal opinion that if CC were to leave it would set us back a year as any incoming manager would want his own team while trying to get the best out of the team he has inherited.
So for that reason I hope he stays for this campaign.

I dont think he can possibly stay, he does not want to be at the club. The board know this, the players know it and the fans know it.

Even if he did stay, we'd all be wondering when he would next want to leave, and any respect he had from the same folk has gone.

He will do more damage staying than leaving imo.

Jay
25-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Nope he has lots our trust and respect - he was on dodgy ground before this. Many of us wanted him to go and I think the rest of us were willing to give him time but were never 100% convinced he was the man for the job anyway.

brydekirk
25-06-2011, 09:39 AM
just go colin, the sooner the better :bye:

Betty Boop
25-06-2011, 09:39 AM
No. I think his interview showed a lack of respect for the fans, and what kind of message does it send out to the players, when he is unwilling to commit to his future at the Club.

coco22
25-06-2011, 09:42 AM
got to go now. appreciate his honesty but can never regain the support and backing. have been gutted in the past when other managers have left but am not overly bothered if we lose him. it will set us back in terms of post-yogi rebuilding but whoever comes in must have impact, more than CC did upon arrival

500miles
25-06-2011, 09:51 AM
If he gets an offer from a club which will improve the quality of life he and his family have, or the time they can spend together, he would be negligent if he discarded such an oppertunity without giving it due consideration.

This is no grounds for those who were already critical of CC to stick the boot in.

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2011, 09:56 AM
If he gets an offer from a club which will improve the quality of life he and his family have, or the time they can spend together, he would be negligent if he discarded such an oppertunity without giving it due consideration.

This is no grounds for those who were already critical of CC to stick the boot in.

He left a very poorly paid job at Newcastle to up his wages 5 fold at hibs. 9 months later, after a less than glorious term in charge, the least we can expect is a bit of loyalty?

He was excited by the challenge he said, maybe he's just a little more excited by the money imo.

Dirkster23
25-06-2011, 10:03 AM
He left a very poorly paid job at Newcastle to up his wages 5 fold at hibs. 9 months later, after a less than glorious term in charge, the least we can expect is a bit of loyalty?

He was excited by the challenge he said, maybe he's just a little more excited by the money imo.

Seriously? what wages do you think he was on at Newcastle BH?

Loyalty is a thing of the past in football i'm afraid. The opportunity to earn more money and work with better players is always going to lure managers/players down south.

BEEJ
25-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I think he has to move on now. He's not at ease in this job and is looking to move.

But for our club the timing couldn't be worse. :bitchy:

persevere1875
25-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Cant see him going to Birmingham now, considering Houghton is talking to the ex Bristol manager, I would have thought that put the lid on that one, bearing in mind they talk to each other all the time I'd have thought if Houghton really believed they'd be reunited, he wouldnt be looking elswhere.

As for Forrest, IMO he's going to knock them back, the guys right to take the time to consider things, he's right to go home this weekend and talk to his family because ultimately they will be affected by any decision he makes, and for what its worth, I personally think he's right to have been so honest in his interview. Would we rather be sitting here listening to another manager spouting his love for the club just to bugger of elswhere at the drop of a hat or would we rather have a manager who at least has some honesty.

On another note, who's to say CC doesnt know exactly what he's doing, look at it this way, if Calderwood confessed his undying love for the club, says he's going nowhere etc, where does that leave him when he's negotiating with Petrie over budgets ? Who's to say he isnt beefing up his own negotiating position, who's to say he's not saying to Petrie and the board, ok ive got offers, IF i stay, i need your full backing to rebuild this team my way and that includes loosening the purse strings, if thats not on the cards and you wont give me the tools I need to do my job, then Im off.

One things for sure, its going to be an intereting few days down Easter Rd way .

BEEJ
25-06-2011, 10:37 AM
On another note, who's to say CC doesnt know exactly what he's doing, look at it this way, if Calderwood confessed his undying love for the club, says he's going nowhere etc, where does that leave him when he's negotiating with Petrie over budgets ?

Who's to say he isnt beefing up his own negotiating position, who's to say he's not saying to Petrie and the board, ok ive got offers, IF i stay, i need your full backing to rebuild this team my way and that includes loosening the purse strings, if thats not on the cards and you wont give me the tools I need to do my job, then Im off.

That's always a possibility.

That CC would have to resort to such tactics in the first place would be disturbing.

persevere1875
25-06-2011, 10:44 AM
That's always a possibility.

That CC would have to resort to such tactics in the first place would be disturbing.

Is it really that disturbing a thought though ?? havent we heard rumours of ex managers claiming they were frustrated in attempts to bring in what they felt they required ?

Maybe CC's just cuter than the rest, lets be fair, IF he stays he has to be succesful to get to the next level in his career path, he has to win things with Hibs and ideally he'll want to be the first manager in a long time to at least split the ugly sisters, if not he's just another half decent manager in what some percieve to be a lower than championship level league.

bandylegs_jLeighton
25-06-2011, 11:03 AM
In my eyes he can stay.

At least he is being honest in admitting that he is considering his options. Better than the line trotted out by 90% of managers when surrounded by such rumours; confessing their love for the club and how they are here for the long run, only to jump ship the following week. That is the easy route to take.

It's obvious there is a firm offer on the table from elsewhere. If he remains Hibernian manager it is because he wants to be here more.

CmoantheHibs
25-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I think most managers would consider other job offers.Its just unusual that someone is so open and honest about it and I find this an admirable quality.I also think he is showing us supporters a lot of respect by being so upfront with us.
Personally I hope he has a long hard think about it over the weekend and decides to finish the job that he has started here although his honesty appears to have done him no favours with many supporters.

Craig_in_Prague
25-06-2011, 11:38 AM
He came here to be # 1 again, has done absolutely nothing, appears he'll happily jump to be # 2 again elsewhere if it comes to something... and haven done nowt of note at Hibs.
Well cheerio then Colin, thanks for nothing and I'm afraid to say maybe Andy74 has been right all along, if we'd stuck with Hughes and gave him longer, who's to say he wouldn't have improved us and that we'd finally have had stability at the club.

God knows, but when the hell are the board going to appoint someone, have a joint plan and then **** execute.

The board need to look at themselves here, they appointed CC.

Sorry state of affairs, at our "Football Club"

silverhibee
25-06-2011, 11:43 AM
wonder what would be important for the board though, hold out for a bigger price or let him go now and get more time to get somebody in..

i wonder ?

The board should be pretty worried to about the backlash from the Hibs fans, how they have not acted since that interview from the BBC beggars belief, get him out on gardening leave and have him no where near the club where he is doing a lot of damage just being around the place, CC has had his chance over the last couple of days to show that he is committed to the Hibs job, he has not done that at all.
Time for CC to go. And possibly Rod Petrie and Scott Lindsay, how quiet have they been over this carry on, not a peep from them, poor show.
Who are the faceless wonders now.

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2011, 11:52 AM
The board should be pretty worried to about the backlash from the Hibs fans, how they have not acted since that interview from the BBC beggars belief, get him out on gardening leave and have him no where near the club where he is doing a lot of damage just being around the place, CC has had his chance over the last couple of days to show that he is committed to the Hibs job, he has not done that at all.
Time for CC to go. And possibly Rod Petrie and Scott Lindsay, how quiet have they been over this carry on, not a peep from them, poor show.
Who are the faceless wonders now.

Spot on, i'd imagine they are trying to work out the compensation package as we speak, but he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the team ever again.

iwasthere1972
25-06-2011, 11:56 AM
No. The quicker he is gone the better.

Arch Stanton
25-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm afraid I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Dirkster23
25-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Spot on, i'd imagine they are trying to work out the compensation package as we speak, but he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the team ever again.

I think that's the key to it BH, his position is untenable but we can't do anything until the compensation is worked out. Hopefully moves are being made to get a replacement in asap to minimize the disruption to the team. It's going to be a crucial couple of weeks.

3pm
25-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Get him to f###.

He should have been torpedoed for the fitba, never mind this.

smurf
25-06-2011, 12:06 PM
We had a lame duck manager last pre-season and had a poor season as a result and we simply can't afford to do so again. His lack of respect was incredible in his press conference yesterday. Is he thick?

3pm
25-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I'd question if he's ever wanted to be here. And Petrie's in for a fright as well when C-Day comes.

Do we actually have a footballing strategy or is it simply about making sure we, as a business, don't rack up debt?

Franck Stanton
25-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I am a fan of CC however as after his recent interviews its clear his mind is not totally on the job and therefore its a

NO

from me. I think his mind is made up TBH and we should be given the courtesy of an answer from him soonest. Just my opinion anyway.

My opinion also, how can CC ask players to be totally committed to the club when he isn't ? Time for him to man up, give his decision asap and if he chooses to go, then so-be it, to be honest I will not loose any sleep over it, get Michael O'Neil in, good young manager who appears to know what he is all about and hungry for success. Just do it now so new guy has time to assess the current squads deficiences and get his players in to build a team/squad for the up-coming season.

hibsbollah
25-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Me neither.

Mark79
25-06-2011, 12:41 PM
No way back after that for me. What a c***.

If he isn't happy then he should just leave. Instead he comes out with an interview expressing his interest in becoming someones no2.

Guys a tool. He has obviously discovered he doesnt know how to get us playing well again. He must have had an idea on the finances that we work with when he signed on?

Petrie plays a big part in all this too as he is the clown that appoints them.

Rant over but this interview really annoys me. If neither Notts Forrest or Birmingham appoint him then where does that leave us?

RickyS
25-06-2011, 12:47 PM
wonder what Yogi makes of all this?
he is on radio scotland from 2pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_scotland

Arch Stanton
25-06-2011, 12:56 PM
I think that's the key to it BH, his position is untenable but we can't do anything until the compensation is worked out. Hopefully moves are being made to get a replacement in asap to minimize the disruption to the team. It's going to be a crucial couple of weeks.

I've been scratching my head trying to think of what CC could have said to give you warm feelings about his tenure at Hibs and which I would have believed.

It's just not coming to me though - maybe you could help?

brisbanehibs
25-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Being overseas and not attending games I don't feel I have a right to comment but watching the BBC interview with Calderwood today was, I felt, insulting to anyone who supports our club.

Irrespective of any family/personal circumstances, Calderwood sat in front of the cameras yesterday and said "I am not 100% committed to this club". To do so at the beginning of a new season and at a time when we've been to hell and back with a succession of "players" who have quite clearly lacked ANY commitment to playing for the club adds insult to injury.

Some might say he was just being honest in his interview but watching the interview again now all I saw was someone playing games with the media and treating our support with complete disrespect. If only someone in the press pack had the balls to ask direct questions and not give up until he gave a proper answer to the big question which is "staying or going Colin?" and then to hammer him when he quite clearly couldn't give a direct answer.

If we had the money I would sack him now, there might even be enough for him to be dismissed without compensation in my view after that interview. Wish it wasn't like this as we need stability and he could have delivered given time.

I think the fact that Terry Butcher is getting a few mentions is interesting, especially given his background at Rangers. Think he might just be perfect for us and, settled in Scotland and with a point to prove at a decent sized club he might just stick around for 2-3 years. If Strachan hadn't supported us as a boy we wouldn't even be mentioning him for the role. Fingers crossed he's too expensive for us.......

Beefster
25-06-2011, 01:18 PM
My opinion also, how can CC ask players to be totally committed to the club when he isn't ? Time for him to man up, give his decision asap and if he chooses to go, then so-be it, to be honest I will not loose any sleep over it, get Michael O'Neil in, good young manager who appears to know what he is all about and hungry for success. Just do it now so new guy has time to assess the current squads deficiences and get his players in to build a team/squad for the up-coming season.

Michael O'Neill is another potential Mixu and Hughes as far as I'm concerned. If he hadn't played for us, very few people, if any, would be mentioning him.

hibiedude
25-06-2011, 01:32 PM
The Panel on Radio Scotland seem to think the only reason Calderwood is still at our club is Petrie is playing hardball regarding compensation- it dose appear Calderwood wants to leave Hibs.

No lose as far as I’m concerned.

matty_f
25-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Having given this some thought, I actually think if cc turned down forest and birmingham to stay at hibs, then actually he's probably going to have demonstrated that he has committed himself to the role.

I think, like anyone else cc is entitled to see what is being offered. He's in an unusual situation where two new managers seek his services. That won't be the case very often. It is unlikely that many other managers see him as assistant manager when there are so many other options available to them.

I understand his coyness in the interviews- I don't think he was trying to be smart, I think he's trying to be diplomatic. He's being about as honest as he can be. I don't think he's made up his mind and doesn't want to be in a position where he says one thing but does another.

IMHO, he could very easily stay and be committed to the job. I know that contradicts what I said earlier in the thread, but I tried to look at it from another angle and I changed my mind!

The Voice Of Reason
25-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Just watched the BBC Interview, dreadfully uninspiring stuff from Calderwood.

What a mess :fuming:

iwasthere1972
25-06-2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLgdcGEqgcw :agree:

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2011, 01:44 PM
calderwood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C18au9FSxU

Greentinted
25-06-2011, 01:47 PM
He can stay, of course, but it does seem as if he's no longer as committed as he once appeared to be. Personally, like a few others, I've no been convinced of Calderwood, nothing tangible just a gut feeling.
He's never really felt like a Hibs boss to me if that makes any sense.

The Voice Of Reason
25-06-2011, 01:48 PM
calderwood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C18au9FSxU

:faf:

Sums up my thoughts ! :agree:

gramskiwood
25-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Having given this some thought, I actually think if cc turned down forest and birmingham to stay at hibs, then actually he's probably going to have demonstrated that he has committed himself to the role.

I think, like anyone else cc is entitled to see what is being offered. He's in an unusual situation where two new managers seek his services. That won't be the case very often. It is unlikely that many other managers see him as assistant manager when there are so many other options available to them.

I understand his coyness in the interviews- I don't think he was trying to be smart, I think he's trying to be diplomatic. He's being about as honest as he can be. I don't think he's made up his mind and doesn't want to be in a position where he says one thing but does another.

IMHO, he could very easily stay and be committed to the job. I know that contradicts what I said earlier in the thread, but I tried to look at it from another angle and I changed my mind!

I'm starting to think that way myself, we'll just have to wait and see.

Dirkster23
25-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I've been scratching my head trying to think of what CC could have said to give you warm feelings about his tenure at Hibs and which I would have believed.

It's just not coming to me though - maybe you could help?

I'm sure it'll come if you think long enough :wink:

Keith_M
25-06-2011, 02:00 PM

We've just had a dreadful season and are supposed to be building to improve for next season. We need a manager who's mind is fully on the job and, in fact, we need to know if he's actually going to be here come the start of the season. He needs to be concentrating on getting the team ready and new faces in so we actually are prepared.

The reality is that we have a manager who may or may not be out the door soon. He won't say he's staying and he's as good as admitted he's considering offers elsewhere.

That doesn't bother you at all?

persevere1875
25-06-2011, 02:14 PM

I think the initial reaction is to think here we go again, thats why I took my time in posting, going through it again, I think he's just boxing clever and thats not a bad thing, I do believe though if he comes out next week and says he's commited to Hibs, we need to get of the guys back and let him get on with it regardless of opinions, sad to say there's all too many people seem to be desperate for him to fail just so they can say told you so .

DH1875
25-06-2011, 02:42 PM
He should never have got the job in the first place. Even if the offers were to fall through we should still show him the door. There's not a chance he's committed to us.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2011, 02:52 PM
There is nothing wrong with showing ambition, either as an everyday bloke on the street or as a player or manager.

But publicly lifting up your skirt like a cheap whore to any passing manager seeking a sidekick is wrong and gives a bad impression to our fans, our board, our playing staff and potential recruits.

If the manager isn't committed to the club, why should the players be? And given that we have lamented the complete lack of application and commitment from the players (the majority who have now left), it sets a dangerous precedent for the new batch to follow.

Get the compo, let him go and bring in Gordon Strachan within the next 3 days.

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2011, 03:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with showing ambition, either as an everyday bloke on the street or as a player or manager.

But publicly lifting up your skirt like a cheap whore to any passing manager seeking a sidekick is wrong and gives a bad impression to our fans, our board, our playing staff and potential recruits.

If the manager isn't committed to the club, why should the players be? And given that we have lamented the complete lack of application and commitment from the players (the majority who have now left), it sets a dangerous precedent for the new batch to follow.

straight to the point and 100% spot on. :top marks

snooky
25-06-2011, 03:11 PM

Love the analogy, PH :top marks

sahib
25-06-2011, 03:52 PM
yes or no?

If he remains as Hibs manager then he will stay . If he takes another job he will, almost definitely, have to go. I hope that clears things up :wink:

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2011, 03:56 PM
If he remains as Hibs manager then he will stay . If he takes another job he will, almost definitely, have to go. I hope that clears things up :wink:

Yip that should just about make it crystal clear for everyone. :greengrin

Arch Stanton
25-06-2011, 04:36 PM
We've just had a dreadful season and are supposed to be building to improve for next season. We need a manager who's mind is fully on the job and, in fact, we need to know if he's actually going to be here come the start of the season. He needs to be concentrating on getting the team ready and new faces in so we actually are prepared.

The reality is that we have a manager who may or may not be out the door soon. He won't say he's staying and he's as good as admitted he's considering offers elsewhere.

That doesn't bother you at all?

I don't have a problem with him giving interviews to the press, which is the only thing he can actually be accused of doing. I doubt he spent more time dealing with job offers than he did checking his credit card statement - all this waffle about fully concentrating on the job is just part of the hysterical silliness that is permeating this thread.

If we are really determined to get a manager who won't be bothered with job offers then maybe John Hughes is indeed the manager we deserve.

Craig_in_Prague
25-06-2011, 05:22 PM
FFS,

He came here to be the manger, the gaffer....... numero Uno.

Now, he's thankful / thrilled / excited......whatever, about going back to a club he was hated, and as number TWO.........or to Birmingham, now in the championship and as assistant to whom he left not so long ago, where they were at a bigger club and in the premier league.

I'm sorry, but that interview has shown me this man has gotta go and pronto.

I understand Hibs are and always will be a stepping stone, for both players and managers. However to me, his obvious excitement to bugger off after just a short time (which has been abysmal), to be a number 2 again, is down right a slap in the puss to the club and I can't imagine the Tache being too happy about this.... Any additional 'support' to him will be little i'd imagine, probably means the cheque book has been put back in the safe to gather dust.
Why he couldn't say he's grateful to be at Hibs as manager and knows he needs to turn the team/club around and is determined to do so, I just can't really believe it.

Cheerio CC, thanks for the miserable, nervous interviews, rank rotten football and shut the door on your way out ! :bye:

HibsMax
25-06-2011, 05:42 PM
YES - if he had said that he wouldn't rule out a move down south AFTER his contract at Hibs was up. I have no issue with the guy setting his sights elsewhere as long as it doesn't interfere with his current job.

NO - because he basically said that even though no offer had been made, if one came in he would have to review it which means rather than focusing on Hibs, he's waiting on a phone call.

I really, really, really wanted this appointment to work. Not because I love CC but because Hibs need to jam the revolving door.

I don't want him to leave and Hibs get no compensation though. If any other team really wants him, they have to pay. And CC can't complain about anything since he signed the contract thus agreeing to those terms.

EDIT : Actually, just thought of another scenario, one that may have been mentioned and I just missed.....

YES - if Calderwood is extended an offer by one or both of the English clubs and he knocks them back, choosing instead to stay at Hibs and finish what he started. If that happened, he would get my support again.

Bob Box Fish
25-06-2011, 05:53 PM
If he's going he should go ASAP. Worse case scenario is leaving after signing more players and the new guy not getting to bring in his own men.

On another note were Sproule and Gary O his choices? Or was it Petrie pushing them to please the fans / sell season tickets?

Dibben
25-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I do think that he has set his stall out and wants to leave, so, he should go now! No point dragging this on - unless we don't get offered a decent level of compensation!!

Will give the new man as much time as possible to shape the team to his way!!

HibsMax
25-06-2011, 06:03 PM
If he's going he should go ASAP. Worse case scenario is leaving after signing more players and the new guy not getting to bring in his own men.

On another note were Sproule and Gary O his choices? Or was it Petrie pushing them to please the fans / sell season tickets?

That answer depends on whether you're head is in the sand or if you're a realist. :wink:.

Personally speaking, I don't know.

EasterRoad4Ever
25-06-2011, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=Craig_in_Prague;2840749]FFS,

He came here to be the manger, the gaffer....... numero Uno.

Now, he's thankful / thrilled / excited......whatever, about going back to a club he was hated, and as number TWO.........or to Birmingham, now in the championship and as assistant to whom he left not so long ago, where they were at a bigger club and in the premier league.

I'm sorry, but that interview has shown me this man has gotta go and pronto.

I understand Hibs are and always will be a stepping stone, for both players and managers. However to me, his obvious excitement to bugger off after just a short time (which has been abysmal), to be a number 2 again, is down right a slap in the puss to the club and I can't imagine the Tache being too happy about this.... Any additional 'support' to him will be little i'd imagine, probably means the cheque book has been put back in the safe to gather dust.
Why he couldn't say he's grateful to be at Hibs as manager and knows he needs to turn the team/club around and is determined to do so, I just can't really believe it.

Cheerio CC, thanks for the miserable, nervous interviews, rank rotten football and shut the door on your way out ! :bye:[/QUOTE

IMHO this says al lot about the man and his appetite for the fight as a manager. He has had an horrendous 9 months as a No 1 in the SPL and clearly is relishing the chance to get shot of the pressure and the job. He's crap in front of the cameras and fails to inspire with his tactics and team selections. He must be our most uninspiring manager since Miller.

Very few Hibs fans will shed any tears over CC leaving, and that says a lot too. Calderwood's position at ER is probably untenable now, so the quiker he goes the better for all concerned. Petrie has to be looking for a replacement now, not waiting until CC buggers off in 2 or 3 weeks time. If we can actually get a bit of cash for CC then thats a bonus, as he's been worth very little to us so far.

WhileTheChief..
25-06-2011, 06:42 PM

In GOCs interview he pretty much confirmed that it was Petrie who signed him. He wanted to come back up and told his agent to call Rod to see if something could be worked out.

Also said that the off the field problems were behind him and that he'd leave his lawyer to sort them out.

Pretty good interview, he came across really well.

It was on the radio after the stuff about CC.

Dashing Bob S
25-06-2011, 11:56 PM
He migh have been easier on the ear than the heart-on-the sleeve ranter Yogi was (especially in his last six months) but some people are too easily conned. CC's record is every bit as poor as the worse days of Hughes. He seemed (and still does) out of his depth.

A **** manager is a **** manager whether he sounds like an accountant or a brickie.

The sooner he goes to watch reserve games and take coaching sessions with under 19's somewhere, the better.

snooky
26-06-2011, 12:05 AM
He migh have been easier on the ear than the heart-on-the sleeve ranter Yogi was (especially in his last six months) but some people are too easily conned. CC's record is every bit as poor as the worse days of Hughes. He seemed (and still does) out of his depth.

A **** manager is a **** manager whether he sounds like an accountant or a brickie.

The sooner he goes to watch reserve games and take coaching sessions with under 19's somewhere, the better.

I've heard it all now. CC a 4 star manager? FFS, Bob are you on the gin again? :wink:

Ed De Gramo
26-06-2011, 12:20 AM
A bit poor that individuals are calling him names that rhyme with hunt etc....

Thought we had class...no?

As for CC himself, if he doesn't want to be here...then its best for all parties involved that we go our separate ways.

As for Yogi slating the GOC and Sproule signings....:rolleyes: I bet any money that he would have killed for those signings last season.

Sour grapes once again from JH

Iain G
26-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Can we afford to change managers at this stage of pre-season, a month before the season starts? The last thing we need as a club and support just now is to have a new man come in and start again, whatever your opinion of Calderwood, he has evaluated the team and has his plans in place for this year, and has signings he is still chasing to strengthen the team.

IMHO changing manager now would be extremely damaging to Hibs for the upcoming season. :(

matty_f
26-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Can we afford to change managers at this stage of pre-season, a month before the season starts? The last thing we need as a club and support just now is to have a new man come in and start again, whatever your opinion of Calderwood, he has evaluated the team and has his plans in place for this year, and has signings he is still chasing to strengthen the team.

IMHO changing manager now would be extremely damaging to Hibs for the upcoming season. :(

IMHO, we're not going to have much choice about the last part of your post, but I agree with you entirely.

This has been really poorly timed for Hibs, I just hope the Board are well down the road towards getting CC's replacement in, should the rumours of him having left already be true.

Brooster
26-06-2011, 06:58 AM
I will not be bothered one little bit when he leaves.........either this week or next.

Iain G
26-06-2011, 06:58 AM
IMHO, we're not going to have much choice about the last part of your post, but I agree with you entirely.

This has been really poorly timed for Hibs, I just hope the Board are well down the road towards getting CC's replacement in, should the rumours of him having left already be true.

I kinda understand CC and the way he is playing this and would have no problems with him staying on, him leaving now will cause more damage to the club this season than having a few maybe a bit annoyed with him in the short term.

I fear another disapointing "transitional" season for us if he goes now, kinda depressing thought really!

James70
26-06-2011, 07:08 AM
I think he is being either very smart or very stupid. My opinion is that no other club is wanting to have to pay hefty compensation to Hibs for an assistant manager so he is making statements which he hopes will lead to RP sacking him.

When he openly admits that he tells every potential new signing that he may or may not be around much longer I feel he wants to provoke Hibs into a reaction. The question is can Hibs afford to sack him or can they afford to keep losing out on potential new signings by keeping him in the short term at least.

Other clubs would not tolerate a manager mucking them about like this. Why did Hibs appoint him if he had no intention of moving his family to Edinburgh, surely that was a tell tale sign he was not here for the long term. Whatever the background to his appointment the fact is that we have yet again appointed the wrong man for the job and we are more than likely going to have to start from scratch rebuilding a team for yet another new manager.

Septimus
26-06-2011, 07:14 AM
The job at Easter Road is presumably not very attractive to someone who wants to progress his own career. Sheer lack of money sees to that.

We now have a dithering prevaricating exhibition from a man who clearly cannot make up his own mind about his own career never mind guiding twenty or so individuals into moulding an ambitious team.

Maybe we set our sights too high and should be looking for someone with a career on the downward trajectory rather than someone who wants to improve himself. Strachan could be a good bet and surely money is not high on his list of needs.

Iain G
26-06-2011, 07:24 AM
The job at Easter Road is presumably not very attractive to someone who wants to progress his own career. Sheer lack of money sees to that.

We now have a dithering prevaricating exhibition from a man who clearly cannot make up his own mind about his own career never mind guiding twenty or so individuals into moulding an ambitious team.

Maybe we set our sights too high and should be looking for someone with a career on the downward trajectory rather than someone who wants to improve himself. Strachan could be a good bet and surely money is not high on his list of needs.

I doubt the three signings we have made already are particularly cheap on wages, the myth of Hibs having no money for wages is surely put to bed a bit now?? And I think the Hibs job allows a manager to prove themselves as a coach, motivator, tactical and working on a budget, Mogga made a success of it and went on to bigger clubs for example.

And we should continue to strive for a manager who wants to prove and advance themselves at Hibs, we should strive to be ambitious as a club. :agree:

Cropley10
26-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I doubt the three signings we have made already are particularly cheap on wages, the myth of Hibs having no money for wages is surely put to bed a bit now?? And I think the Hibs job allows a manager to prove themselves as a coach, motivator, tactical and working on a budget, Mogga made a success of it and went on to bigger clubs for example.

And we should continue to strive for a manager who wants to prove and advance themselves at Hibs, we should strive to be ambitious as a club. :agree:

Mogga left 5 years ago. Collins has not been back in football since, Mixu took a year then had relative success with Killie, Yogi's oot a work an aw.

More a managerial graveyard than some hothouse environment for developing your career, surely? And now we're set to appoint yet another ex-player as Manager. A guy who's managed a glorified pub team! :grrr:

matty_f
26-06-2011, 07:48 AM

What I'd love is to get a manager who saw the budget constraints of an SPL club as a challenge to their manageriall skills. Someone who saw that as something to overcome, not something to use as an excuse.

There has to be managers out there who see the potential at Hibs. Why can't we get a manager in who has genuine ambition to win the league and has a belief in their abilities to the extent where they think they can do it on a much lesser budget. It's not always the richest clubs that win the titles.

I don't think CC is moving for the money, from what I've heard it's very much a personal/family reason that he's moving for. I can understand that - family comes before work every time, but if it was essential that the board got CC's appointment right, it is even more so for his successor, should he leave.

Arch Stanton
26-06-2011, 08:02 AM
What I'd love is to get a manager who saw the budget constraints of an SPL club as a challenge to their manageriall skills. Someone who saw that as something to overcome, not something to use as an excuse.

There has to be managers out there who see the potential at Hibs. Why can't we get a manager in who has genuine ambition to win the league and has a belief in their abilities to the extent where they think they can do it on a much lesser budget. It's not always the richest clubs that win the titles.

I don't think CC is moving for the money, from what I've heard it's very much a personal/family reason that he's moving for. I can understand that - family comes before work every time, but if it was essential that the board got CC's appointment right, it is even more so for his successor, should he leave.

Totally agree.

Managers come to Hibs, having been successful at smaller clubs, and seem to think, Oh good, I'm managing a big club now and don't need to worry about tight budgets. If they had stuck to what they were good at they would have done a lot better.

Iain G
26-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Mogga left 5 years ago. Collins has not been back in football since, Mixu took a year then had relative success with Killie, Yogi's oot a work an aw.

More a managerial graveyard than some hothouse environment for developing your career, surely? And now we're set to appoint yet another ex-player as Manager. A guy who's managed a glorified pub team! :grrr:

So come to Hibs, do a good job and get it right and get a move to a bigger team, get it wrong and you end up out of the game for a while... :greengrin

spike220
26-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Yes CC may well stay for the season yet whether we want it or not.

GGTTH

stevej
27-06-2011, 06:12 AM
What a crap situation

A manager who wants away and the club need to find the balance of not just letting him walk but also not having to keep him because Forest and Birmingham dont want to pay compensation to get him

Hard enough to be a successful manager when your heart is 100% in the job

This could actually end up costing Hibs money because I honestly believe if he stays with his heart not in the job Hibs will end up having to sack him and paying up his contract early in the season

Hibs need to get any kind of compensation they can quickly and move on