PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Who's Next (If CC Goes)

Pages : [1] 2 3

totalfootball
24-06-2011, 06:14 PM
As far as Im concerned calderwood refusing to rule out leaving, leaves us looking for a new manager! Regardless of who he moves to, forest or brum, his failure to commit to Hibs means he is not 100% commited to the club and we need someone who is!
So who would we like to see replace him? I might be jumping the gun slightly because he is officially still our manager but by next Tuesday Id expect him to be away!
I bet Derek Adams is kicking himself now........ so who do you think we should target as a replacement? Personally as much as I hate to say it, Terry Butcher would do a good job as would someone like chris coleman or dare I say even Gordon strachan?
Thoughts please..........

PeterboroHibee
24-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Butcher would be a good appointment, been a success at ICT and always comes across well in interviews imo. How much would it take in compensation though and would he necessarily want to come here?

Badge
24-06-2011, 06:21 PM
As far as Im concerned calderwood refusing to rule out leaving, leaves us looking for a new manager! Regardless of who he moves to, forest or brum, his failure to commit to Hibs means he is not 100% commited to the club and we need someone who is!
So who would we like to see replace him? I might be jumping the gun slightly because he is officially still our manager but by next Tuesday Id expect him to be away!
I bet Derek Adams is kicking himself now........ so who do you think we should target as a replacement? Personally as much as I hate to say it, Terry Butcher would do a good job as would someone like chris coleman or dare I say even Gordon strachan?
Thoughts please..........
Think Coleman got a job in Cyprus or Greece

totalfootball
24-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Butcher would be a good appointment, been a success at ICT and always comes across well in interviews imo. How much would it take in compensation though and would he necessarily want to come here?

Surely Butcher would fancy coming to Hibs, bigger club than any1 else hes managed!! Surely to God!!!!!!

Brebners Bookie
24-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Agreed. CC isnt committed to a job he is being payed handsomely for. Always backed him but really hope he leaves now.

Gordon Strachan would be my choice every time. would be delighted to see him come in.

What a day!

EdinICT23
24-06-2011, 07:07 PM
As an ICT reading this, I can assure you if you made an approach Terry Butcher would come in a heartbeat. I know for a fact he applied for Motherwell job when Craig Brown left. He would do a good job for you, just leave us with Malpas please!

Oh and TB has a year left on his contract.

R'Albin
24-06-2011, 07:10 PM
As an ICT reading this, I can assure you if you made an approach Terry Butcher would come in a heartbeat. I know for a fact he applied for Motherwell job when Craig Brown left. He would do a good job for you, just leave us with Malpas please!

:thumbsup: Would love to have TB!

Barney McGrew
24-06-2011, 07:12 PM

You've got nothing to worry about

EdinICT23
24-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Malpas is the coach out of the 2, if you want TB you will need a decent no2 lined up. He has struggled at clubs without MM.

R'Albin
24-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Malpas is the coach out of the 2, if you want TB you will need a decent no2 lined up. He has struggled at clubs without MM.

Do you think Malpas would go with him?

EdinICT23
24-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Probably, to be honest.

wick hibby
24-06-2011, 07:21 PM
T b :thumbsup::thumbsup:

totalfootball
24-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah Butcher would defo be my choice the more I think about it!
We defo cant go on with cc at the helm if hes not fully commited, he's done nothing to merit us trying to persuade him staying so let him go. But ffs lets get this sorted out pronto, massively important season ahead!

Reaper
24-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Terry Butcher would be okay but I was wondering if we could have a dig at the likes of Alan Curbishley?? He's been out of the game so long now (or is that due to an ongoing industrial thing with West Ham?)

I think the likely candidates will be

Terry Butcher
Jim McIntyre
+ a host of current No.2's down south.

Hibernia Na Eir
24-06-2011, 07:52 PM

big dirty hun. No thanks!

Yuillsy
24-06-2011, 07:52 PM
If CC goes which is looking increasingly and we brought in Terry Butcher would we have a decent shot at bringing Adam Rooney to ER?

Whatever happens CC has lost all my support!!!

R'Albin
24-06-2011, 07:53 PM
If CC goes which is looking increasingly and we brought in Terry Butcher would we have a decent shot at bringing Adam Rooney to ER?

:pray:

S.sct
24-06-2011, 08:41 PM
CC has always been a poor communicator but tonights interview on TV was (for me) naive at best. I would agree that this guy appears less than committed and hopefully will go early next week. I have never been fully convinced by him and never did enjoy his style of play. Maybe this is a blessing. The signings made thus far (close season) are OK at best and apart from O'Hanlan you have to wonder who has been pulling the strings (Ivan and GOC).
The suggestion of Butcher as an appointment is not a bad one IMO. Apart from the hun thing (which we really need to get over) he and Malpas have done very well at ICT and seem to, at least have the ability to inject passion into the players.
I don't think we need to be conserned about compo as we will receive more for the departure of CC (I guess, due to longer contract).
Dont mess us about Colin, If you are going go now.
GGTTH

JohnScott
24-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Haven't seen CC's tv interview but I guess by the comments he didn't sound fully focused on the Hibees.

However IF he does bugger off I for one would be delighted to see Terry Butcher take over. I have no doubt whatsoever he'd be delighted to get the job. Mind you I thought Calderwood was too! Hey ho.:deal:

hfc rd
24-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I would love it if we got the ex Forest manager Billy Davies in. Won promotion to the EPL with Derby and got Forest into the Championship play-offs 2 seasons in a row. But having said that I think he will be holding out for a move to another Championship side as I don't think he will like the financial restraints in the SPL outside the OF.

So for me I would be very happy if we got Terry Butcher in. He has done a brilliant job at Inverness on a very limited budget and has the experience and contacts from down south. I would bring this guy in promto.

hfc rd
24-06-2011, 10:13 PM

I think we hopefully would. Rooney has worked under Terry Butcher before and he knows that Butcher is capable of getting the best out of him.

bingo70
24-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Who was the brazilian boy that was linked with us before calderwood got the job, he was a coach at Porto but i can't remember his name :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
24-06-2011, 10:29 PM
If Strachan wanted the job, i'd be happy with him. You can say he was always going to win things at celtic, but he did take them further in europe than Martin O'Neil did with much less money.

They beat Man U, and wont the league was it 3 times under him? Yes he talks sheite, but he's proved he's a winner. I'm fed up with all the nicey nicey ones we get, lets get someone in who will annoy the **** out of folk, lets start being a little nasty for a change.

lucky
24-06-2011, 10:37 PM
RP would never go for TB. Terry is to strong a character for Rodders. It will be another no mark. But CC had made hibs unstable. Who is going to sign for a club whose manager wants away in the mean time x

hfc rd
24-06-2011, 10:42 PM
If Strachan wanted the job, i'd be happy with him. You can say he was always going to win things at celtic, but he did take them further in europe than Martin O'Neil did with much less money.

They beat Man U, and wont the league was it 3 times under him? Yes he talks sheite, but he's proved he's a winner. I'm fed up with all the nicey nicey ones we get, lets get someone in who will annoy the **** out of folk, lets start being a little nasty for a change.

Pretty much agree with you there. Forgot about Strachan. I think Strachan would be a very good appointment. He achieved a lot at smeltic but the fans never liked him and were desperate for him to be punted and Mogga to be brought in and we all know what happened there?

Yes he does sometimes talk pish but I don't give a f*** about that. He is a very good manager and someone who achieved a lot at smeltic but it's just that stupid smeltic fans drove him out.

Dibben
24-06-2011, 10:46 PM

Pretty much agree with you there. Forgot about Strachan. I think Strachan would be a very good appointment. He achieved a lot at smeltic but the fans never liked him and were desperate for him to be punted and Mogga to be brought in and we all know what happened there?

Yes he does sometimes talk pish but I don't give a f*** about that. He is a very good manager and someone who achieved a lot at smeltic but it's just that stupid smeltic fans drove him out.

:agree:

I'd be happy with him!!!

keep the faith
24-06-2011, 10:47 PM
If cc is going to go we need to get our act together and announce a replacement right away. no more long searches. put any comp we get for calderwood into securing butcher or mcinnes.

please not Billy Davies. Horrible man who talks about himself in the third person ffs!

hfc rd
24-06-2011, 10:55 PM
If cc is going to go we need to get our act together and announce a replacement right away. no more long searches. put any comp we get for calderwood into securing butcher or mcinnes.

please not Billy Davies. Horrible man who talks about himself in the third person ffs!

Agree with the bit in bold. No time for 3-4 weeks of serching. The new season starts basically in a month and in that time, we need the new gaffer in straight away for him to stamp his authority in the team and make sure that it is ready for the new season. No time for 3-4 weeks of searching for a new manager as that will not only just distract and annoy us fans but more importantly the players as well when they should be concentrating for the smeltic match not getting needless distractions from the media about the possible next Hibs manager.

Bad Martini
24-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Strachan was odious and typicallly smeltic managerial material. It goes with the territory.

The thing aboot the wee guy is twofold:

1) He hates losing
2) He hates losing

...and he gives a ****. That is the difference. I didny like his ***** and constant moaning at sellick fc.

However, the blessed saint tony of mowbray who could do no wrong on here done far worse in my eyes THEN took over at sellick then talked up his team and talked us down and moaned. Goes wi the job.

I'd find worse candidates than Gordon Strachan.

He doesny like losing. And gives a ****. And that, helps.

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-06-2011, 11:55 PM

Who gives a flying fleck he once played for the Huns, get a life. Alex Ferguson once played for them, would you rule him out if he said he'd manage Hibs.

I think Butcher would be a good manager. Knows our game inside out and is a good motivator.

Bad Martini
24-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Who gives a flying fleck he once played for the Huns, get a life. Alex Ferguson once played for them, would you rule him out if he said he'd manage Hibs.

Aye ... hes managed the dirty man ure AND he's hunnish.

Bichrist, is he no just the antichrist :agree:

I'd take the local village idiot over THAT village idiot. :greengrin

GGTTH. WALK ON.

ENDOF

SmokieJoe
25-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Surely Butcher would fancy coming to Hibs, bigger club than any1 else hes managed!! Surely to God!!!!!!

Regardless of club size or where he has managed, The picture still sticks in my mind of him in the '86 world cup, bloodied bandages 'n all, he'd deffo sort out the wheat from the chaff at ER.

new malkyhib
25-06-2011, 12:13 AM

I think Butcher would be a good manager. Knows our game inside out and is a good motivator.

Correct. Anybody up for a year's unbeaten run away from home?

Bad Martini
25-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Regardless of club size or where he has managed, The picture still sticks in my mind of him in the '86 world cup, bloodied bandages 'n all, he'd deffo sort out the wheat from the chaff at ER.

Indeed. As would the 5ft nothing wee bam from pennywell. :greengrin (and he'd take even less **** and gave everything for the shirt he played in)

Removed
25-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Indeed. As would the 5ft nothing wee bam from pennywell. :greengrin (and he'd take even less **** and gave everything for the shirt he played in)

Would be happy with either but if I had to choose I'd take Strachan over Butcher every day of the week.

AFKA5814_Hibs
25-06-2011, 12:23 AM

Realistically Hibs are more likely to get Butcher than Strachan. I'd have no problem with Strachan as next Hibs manager but lets be honest, it's not likely, Butcher is.

Liberal Hibby
25-06-2011, 12:37 AM
I think you heard a different interview from me then. Can't this simply be added to the other chicken licken threads admins?

totalfootball
25-06-2011, 09:49 AM
I think you heard a different interview from me then. Can't this simply be added to the other chicken licken threads admins?

Well the interview I heard was cc refusing to commit his long term future to Hibs and not ruling out leaving for a "exciting challenge" Its a known fact both Birmingham and forest want him so I'd be very suprised if he knocked them both back to stay with us! Time to go cc, we need a manager fully committed to HIBS!!!!!

NAE NOOKIE
25-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Well the interview I heard was cc refusing to commit his long term future to Hibs and not ruling out leaving for a "exciting challenge" Its a known fact both Birmingham and forest want him so I'd be very suprised if he knocked them both back to stay with us! Time to go cc, we need a manager fully committed to HIBS!!!!!

:top marks

Thats what I heard too. If you dont want to stay at Hibs and are seriously considering taking a 2nd fiddle job elsewhere then sod off as soon as you can Colin, so that we can get someone in who is prepared to put his heart into the job.

:taxi

MountcastleHibs
25-06-2011, 09:59 AM
For me the first person Petrie should be asking for any possible managerial vacancy is Gordon Strachan. He's managed at the highest level, got Southampton to an FA Cup final, led Celtic to three consecutive SPL titles and took them further in Europe than Martin O'Neill did whilst not having as big a budget. He can only say no.

I think you'd also have to ask Billy Davies. Yes he slavers p**h, but he has promoted Derby, and consistently got Nottingham Forest to the play offs in the Championship. Again, he can only say no.

After that, there's the usual share of SPL/Scottish league managers such as Terry Butcher, Derek McInnes and John McGlynn.

3pm
25-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd never want Butcher. Strachan might at least bring a bit of professionalism to things.

Franck Stanton
25-06-2011, 12:32 PM

Behave, he played for them but doesn't support them - he even fell out with them over the bigotry issues they have. Would take him as manager and be thankful for it.

Rossco1875
25-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I would go for strachan he would take no sh*t from anyone :thumbsup: is he a hibs fan does anyone know ?

lucky
25-06-2011, 12:48 PM
It will be some no mark from the lower leagues. Rodders has tried a big name in CC and has been burnt. More mediocrity for us.

Harpandcastle
25-06-2011, 12:48 PM
For me the first person Petrie should be asking for any possible managerial vacancy is Gordon Strachan. He's managed at the highest level, got Southampton to an FA Cup final, led Celtic to three consecutive SPL titles and took them further in Europe than Martin O'Neill did whilst not having as big a budget. He can only say no.

I think you'd also have to ask Billy Davies. Yes he slavers p**h, but he has promoted Derby, and consistently got Nottingham Forest to the play offs in the Championship. Again, he can only say no.

After that, there's the usual share of SPL/Scottish league managers such as Terry Butcher, Derek McInnes and John McGlynn.

Steady on ffs

offshorehibby
25-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Strachan's been pish at most of the clubs he's managed. Plus he's never had to struggle with a small budget and would struggle big time finding players within our means.

DH1875
25-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Does Butcher live in Inverness or does he still live in Bridge of Weir? Bet he'd take the job just to cut out the commute.

MountcastleHibs
25-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Steady on ffs

Why not? He's done absolute wonders with Raith Rovers. He'd be a better appointment than Michael O'Neill imo.

Or is it just because he used to be on the backroom staff at the yams?

Hal Jordan
25-06-2011, 03:31 PM
If Wee Ginger Baws comes in, there's only one logical choice for his assistant...

http://shop.sportsworldcards.com/ekmps/shops/sportsworld/images/hibernian-joe-tortolano-418-panini-football-90-football-trading-sticker-28164-p.jpg
:thumbsup:

cad
25-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I would go for strachan he would take no sh*t from anyone :thumbsup: is he a hibs fan does anyone know ?

Butcher / Malpas or Gordon Strachan would be ideal for Hibs at the minute.
I would be delighted with either , whether Rod gives it the OK is anyones guess , hes not exactly hit the heights with his appointments so maybe these guys could come into the frame .

In Strachans case I would think hes done all he wants to do in football hes been about a bit ,maybe he would be the one guy who would stick around for more than 3 -4 years even if he did manage to turn us around and get us a bit off success playing football along the way.
As for being a fan ,I think he is
Im sure Strachans dad stopped him signing for Hibs years ago what for I cant remember.

Crab apple
25-06-2011, 04:06 PM
IF Calderwood goes then I'd like to see Strachan, Butcher or Michael O'Neil. I don't think Rodders likes experienced, opinionated and big personality types and so that might rule out Strachan and Butcher, even if they were interested. O'Neil as a player certainly was his own man but might be more palatable to Rodders. He was/is reasonably successful at Brechin and Shamrock.

Big Frank
25-06-2011, 04:08 PM
If CC goes thats a bit of a mare tbh. I actually think he'll be a success in the new season.....if he goes then there is only butcher for me:agree:

With butcher in charge Hibernian would not be a soft team and he would instill some passion for the famous jersey. His Hibernian teams would give 100% every game imo, and thats a good starting point for me.

If CC is not 100% committed to this fabulous club he should GTF right now, not drag it out....

derek0762
25-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Eh Muirhoose actually :greengrin

Fife-Hibee
25-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Muirhouse grove :greengrin

nic81
25-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Derek McInnes

The_Todd
25-06-2011, 05:41 PM

So? What has this to do with anything? Pretty sad you'd turn him down on those grounds.

Franck Stanton
25-06-2011, 05:45 PM

As a boy Strachan was a Hibs supporter, Chapter 8 of his book is titled " My Beloved Hibs".
Was at one time about to sign for us, [ still a youngster] and was being spoken to with his dad by Turnbull and everything going well until Strachans dad asked about travelling expences for his son. Turnbull in his off-hand manner said there would be none and an argument developed very quickly, resulted in Mr Strachan Snr, [ a life-long Hibby] telling Turnbull to get out of his house and as long as he was manager his son would never sign for Hibs. Gordon shortly afterwards signed for Dundee and thereafter Aberdeen . The rest as they say is history.

yekimevol
25-06-2011, 05:52 PM
what next ...

caldo stays and we win the cup !!!

:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

spike220
28-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Would John Collins come back, like or not he is probably the pick of bunch imho. Forget Strachan that is not in realms of posibility. O'Neil would be a big punt. Collins is the pick of the bunch but would he return? :confused:

GGTTH

Saorsa
28-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Would John Collins come back, like or not he is probably the pick of bunch imho. Forget Strachan that is not in realms of posibility. O'Neil would be a big punt. Collins is the pick of the bunch but would he return? :confused:

GGTTHUnder the present leadership? Nae chance.

spike220
28-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Under the present leadership? Nae chance.

That is what I thought! The reasons he left would still be valid. But this may be right time for him given the infrastructure is now in place. I would love to see him back (5-1!), but just cant work out how anyone could make that happen.

GGTTH

smurf
28-06-2011, 08:42 AM
More chance of Strachan than Collins i'd say...

WindyMiller
28-06-2011, 08:42 AM
His management career has moved on leaps and bounds since he left us right enough.

:rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
28-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Under the present leadership? Nae chance.

capitals_finest
28-06-2011, 08:48 AM

GGTTH

Only one man can answer that, he isn't doing much at the moment but it all depends on how he feels about working with the board again.

I d welcome him back in a second. OK his signings were poor first time round but coupled with the right number 2 he is one of the few managers that we can get a hold of that will actually bring this club some success IMO.

Jones28
28-06-2011, 08:48 AM
His management career has moved on leaps and bounds since he left us right enough.

Probably getting paid more doing the occasional pundit job for channel 5 than he would get at Hibs :duck:

Would love to see JC back at Hibs though:agree::flag:

spike220
28-06-2011, 08:49 AM
More chance of Strachan than Collins i'd say...

I just cant see Strachen in the role (even if we could afford him). Collins has not done much since he left hibs I think he put a hell of a lot of effort into the club when he was here and was a bit heart-broken the way it turned out.

My pick is still Collins

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2BI8Xdlw-fsR94ki8vFzCTuQ2u-YN-JtVzt05cAEYnptC11WU

:not worth

GGTTH

Hibs Class
28-06-2011, 08:51 AM
I'd like to see JC back but would hope he wouldn't bring Tommy Craig with him.

MyJo
28-06-2011, 08:51 AM
I think Petrie even entertaining the thought of a players delegation meeting with him to complain behind the managers back was highly damaging to the relationship between the boardroom and Collins and downright disrespectful to the man and JC strikes me as a man with too much self-respect to allow himself to be treated like that.

Personally, i would be more than happy to see JC back at the helm with Stevenson as his assistant/first team coach and some form of director of football to help him identify decent signings.

FaeLeith
28-06-2011, 08:55 AM
I would love Collins to come back. I'll never forget the league cup win :flag:

spike220
28-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Collins achived a lot in the time he managed us. Plus he also has hibs in his blood I suspect. Could imagine what GOC could do with a bit of JC conditioning and fitness work. We would also be a very hard team to beat agian -something I am looking forward too.

The man for Missionhttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSuG_7NBore0nqFAbBdZNKgcOQ6XHen ooDTCYHLpO0HlzR3fJ3 Possible!

GGTTH

Beefster
28-06-2011, 09:03 AM
How many of the players that Collins signed were moved on for a profit? Keenan? O'Brien? Kerr? Maka? Noubissie? Antoine-Curier?

That's why Collins shouldn't be Hibs manager again.

Phil MaGlass
28-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Dont see why Strachan wouldnt come to Hibs?

drumatic44
28-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Can't see it myself, after the last episode when the board didn't back him up.
Here's a long shot, been mentioned on other threads but how about Alex Miller ,director of football, with Michael O'Neil brought on under him to eventually take over, older head, young gun, type of combo.

spike220
28-06-2011, 09:11 AM
How many of the players that Collins signed were moved on for a profit? Keenan? O'Brien? Kerr? Maka? Noubissie? Antoine-Curier?

Thats right I almost forgot the reason we exsist, to buy players and make a profit selling them on, since we are a selling club!!! I think Hibs could one day challenge for the SPL, but to do that we need a team not a business plan.

GGTTH

marinello59
28-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Dont see why Strachan wouldnt come to Hibs?

Wages.

lucky
Collins no way. He just is not cut out to be a manager. The CIS cup win was great but not one of those players were his signings. Who could forget aberdeen away with Kevin McCann at center half.

Beefster
Thats right I almost forgot the reason we exsist, to make a buy players and make a profit selling them on, since we are a selling club!!! I think Hibs could one day challenge for the SPL, but to do that we need a team not a business plan.

GGTTH

Aye, I'm a long-term advocate of ignoring the team as long as the books are okay.....

My point was he signed terrible players. Selling them on is a consequence of improving the team for a club like Hibs. Collins utterly failed to improve the team.

I'll ask again in a different way. Did he sign any players that improved the team?

Elephant Stone
28-06-2011, 09:17 AM

:agree: People seem to have pretty short memories. Collins' signings were bloody revolting.

Speedway
28-06-2011, 09:17 AM

Keenan was signed by Mixu.

However, walking out on the club, signing duds to replace the team he inherited, ventriloquist press conferences are all reasons why JC shouldn't come back.

Beefster
28-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Keenan was signed by Mixu.

However, walking out on the club, signing duds to replace the team he inherited, ventriloquist press conferences are all reasons why JC shouldn't come back.

My mistake. Collins wasn't as bad at signing players as I thought!

spike220
28-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Aye, I'm a long-term advocate of ignoring the team as long as the books are okay.....

My point was he signed terrible players. Selling them on is a consequence of improving the team for a club like Hibs. Collins utterly failed to improve the team.

I'll ask again in a different way. Did he sign any players that improved the team?

I agree in as much that I dont think signings is his gifting, but he really seems to have a bit of drive about him. Signings are dark art at the best of times and he would benefit from a good number two with a good eye for talent, but the guy was great for us while it lasted and maybe he would of got more out of some of his signings if he stuck around.

GGTTH

Hakim Sar
28-06-2011, 09:33 AM
I would be very alarmed if he was appointed again. Appreciate the cup win but he is pure rank rotten as a manager and I don't want him anywhere near being our manager again.

Again.... I am baffled by the Collins nostalgia on the board. He was mince, signed mince players, and was always found wanting when up against it.

No thanks

yekimevol
28-06-2011, 10:10 AM
if collins comes back my season tic is gone !!!!!

why

he won a cup yeh, but look at the cup run he avoided the old firm, then had to go to extra time to beat a first division side.
he had a chance to go to the scottish cup final but could not defeat dunfermline, they got relegated that season he played them three times in two weeks and never beat them once
after the cis we went on a 13 game run without a win. and with the best squad in a very long time he finished 6th in the league !
look at his signings obrien (he was the highest paid player at the club at one point), kerr, gathuessi, morais, donaldson and noubissie. even after they left us only donaldson has played well.
a big part of managing these days is man-management dealing with people and the egos. the anitcs that collins got up to even if you dont believe them is not the way to deal with a squad.
take out the big names, ur browns, tk, whitty, murphys and such. as they were going to be leaving anyway. there would have still been a good squad there, ivan (who i know he pushed out), stewart, boozy, zouma, killen (who wanted more than a one year deal and he would have stayed). that would have been a really good nucleus of a squad to bulid around.

needless to say i don’t want him as manager and if I’ve probablysaid things that aggravated some people and i apologise.

spike220
28-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I would be very alarmed if he was appointed again. Appreciate the cup win but he is pure rank rotten as a manager and I don't want him anywhere near being our manager again.

Again.... I am baffled by the Collins nostalgia on the board. He was mince, signed mince players, and was always found wanting when up against it.

No thanks

Nostalgia is just another word for Glory.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzfyol6ZAs31FUzfBH4GQt2G12wH5dw Hh3zl-ggezAlbAAZehLjJwIFybFuw

More nostalgia like this, yes please.

GGTTH

Cropley10
28-06-2011, 10:22 AM

No thanks

Collins wanted the players to change their outlook and improve their professionalism. They basically refused.

Yogi - for all his faults - was fond of saying, 'hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard'.

What seems to be wrong is 'attitude'. JC and Yogi both saw this.

Sure JC had his pocket picked the first time he had a Clubs money to spend. Who knows but maybe this gave RP a heart-attack and he's been more hands on ever since.

What JC has is a different approach to being a player and it's difficult to argue with his point of view IMHO.

spike220
28-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Collins wanted the players to change their outlook and improve their professionalism. They basically refused.

Yogi - for all his faults - was fond of saying, 'hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard'.

What seems to be wrong is 'attitude'. JC and Yogi both saw this.

Sure JC had his pocket picked the first time he had a Clubs money to spend. Who knows but maybe this gave RP a heart-attack and he's been more hands on ever since.

What JC has is a different approach to being a player and it's difficult to argue with his point of view IMHO.

:agree::agree::agree:

Stevie Reid
28-06-2011, 10:35 AM

No thanks

I don't want JC back but I am constantly stunned at how many people speak ill of a manager who won us a trophy, and in such spectacular style. JC turned out not to be the right man for Hibs and yes, his signings were almost universally poor - but he was not "mince".

Some of the performances under Collins were unforgettable Motherwell away 6-1, Hearts at home in the League Cup, the final itself, and the away game at Ibrox when we won 1-0 to go top of the league after winning 7 of our first 9 games. It wasn't to last but JC deserves a shed load more respect than many on here give him.

FWIW, 3 times in his full season in charge we were two goals down to teams at ER and in each case came back - to win against Gretna (4-2), and draw against Aberdeen (3-3) and Dundee Utd (2-2), so not always found wanting when we were up against it. We also came back from 2 goals down at Tynie - who knows what may have happened had Deano not been sent off.

Stevie Reid
28-06-2011, 10:37 AM
if collins comes back my season tic is gone !!!!!

why

he won a cup yeh, but look at the cup run he avoided the old firm, then had to go to extra time to beat a first division side
We played Hearts off the park at ER and beat a team that finished above us in the SPL 5-1 in front of 40,000 Hibbies at Hampden. We have won a handful of trophies in our history and that final was one of our proudest moments - why belittle our success?

KeithTheHibby
28-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Since when is that a managers remit???

Collins never had the best record in the transfer market however look at the budget he had. Mixu, Yogi and Calderwood have all had much more money to spend than JC did yet if you compare league positions / success I would bet that Collins record was better.
There is also the small matter of the League Cup..

Collins was also manager when the club were flogging any asset that a bid came in for, no wonder he left as he was not backed by the board.

Anyway JC won't come back so long as Petrie is still in charge.

Beefster
28-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Collins never had the best record in the transfer market however look at the budget he had. Mixu, Yogi and Calderwood have all had much more money to spend than JC did yet if you compare league positions / success I would bet that Collins record was better.

Collins was also manager when the club were flogging any asset that a bid came in for, no wonder he left as he was not backed by the board.

Read my subsequent post. My point was that improving the team is the manager's remit. Collins failed in that.

As for budget, Collins blew his transfer budget on O'Brien and Maka. Either way, I would be very, very surprised if any of Mixu, Hughes or Calderwood spent in transfer fees what Collins did.

It was Collins' decision to sell Thomson when he did, he promised Brown a move in the summer and sold Sproule. I'm not sure who else was sold during his spell.

Andy74
28-06-2011, 10:55 AM

Collins had a great budget, more than Mowbray ever had but much as I spent some time defending them the money we paid out for Mak and O'Brien in particular, was not successfully spent.

KeithTheHibby
28-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Collins gets pillored for signing the likes of AOB and Maka however at the time who could argue that these guys had serious potential??

Ok over the piece both were crap however that is hardly JC's fault!

Mixu and Hughes both bought rubbish too and it was only after JC left did we see some serious loosening of the purse strings i.e. Murray, Riordan, Nish, Rankin, Stokes, Hart and Miller - half of these guys have been utter dross and the rest mediocre at best.

JC may have had some say in WHEN certain players were going to be sold ala Thomson and Brown however they would have been sold eventually by the board.

Mowbray has been by far the best of the recent 5 managers without a doubt however this conversation is not about him returning, it's about JC.

spike220
28-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Collins gets pillored for signing the likes of AOB and Maka however at the time who could argue that these guys had serious potential??

Mixu and Hughes both bought rubbish too and it was only after JC left did we see some serious loosening of the purse strings i.e. Murray, Riordan, Nish, Rankin, Stokes, Hart and Miller - half of these guys have been utter dross and the rest mediocre at best.

JC may have had some say in WHEN certain players were going to be sold ala Thomson and Brown however they would have been sold eventually by the board.

Mowbray has been by far the best of the recent 5 managers without a doubt however this conversation is not about him returning, it's about JC.

Well said Keith

The Modfather
28-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Collins no way. He just is not cut out to be a manager. The CIS cup win was great but not one of those players were his signings. Who could forget aberdeen away with Kevin McCann at center half.

And to counter that, who could forget The Murph in DM marking Brown out of the game against the Green Rangers at Easter Road.

He wasn't afraid to try innovative things, another example (possibly in that 3-3 game against Aberdeen where we came from 2 goals behind) where he played Thomson as a sweeper, to great affect.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat, although I'd have bent over backwards to keep him in the first place.

The players helped to out Collins, what a bunch of "professional athletes" they turned out to be.

I don't see anyone defending his signings, and neither they should, but lets not forget the context in which they transpired. Having to replace quality with peanuts.

Who thinks we would have finished as we did and limp along for months last season with Collins in charge? At the very least last season we would have been fit and organised, which would have been a dramatic improvement in itself.

Get him back, let him work with Hanlon, Booth, Wotherspoon, Palsson and O'Connor and build a team around them.

Please come back John :not worth

Ps I am neither John Collins, nor the founding member of his fan club :greengrin

Makalambay
28-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Bring back the saviour, JC.

Beefster
28-06-2011, 12:03 PM

So when we sign a dud, whose fault is it? Just one of them things? Or does the buck stop ultimately with the man who goes to the Chairman and says "get him signed please"? The odd dud is fine - it happens. Can you tell me a Collins signing who improved the team?

Ah right. So he did sell those players but, seeing as they would have been sold eventually anyway, it wasn't really him selling them? Got it.

Andy74
28-06-2011, 12:05 PM
And to counter that, who could forget The Murph in DM marking Brown out of the game against the Green Rangers at Easter Road.

He wasn't afraid to try innovative things, another example (possibly in that 3-3 game against Aberdeen where we came from 2 goals behind) where he played Thomson as a sweeper, to great affect.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat, although I'd have bent over backwards to keep him in the first place.

The players helped to out Collins, what a bunch of "professional athletes" they turned out to be.

I don't see anyone defending his signings, and neither they should, but lets not forget the context in which they transpired. Having to replace quality with peanuts.

Who thinks we would have finished as we did and limp along for months last season with Collins in charge? At the very least last season we would have been fit and organised, which would have been a dramatic improvement in itself.

Get him back, let him work with Hanlon, Booth, Wotherspoon, Palsson and O'Connor and build a team around them.

Please come back John :not worth

Ps I am neither John Collins, nor the founding member of his fan club :greengrin

Thats exactly what we did with Collins in charge.

Hakim Sar
28-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I understand your point StevieReid but i attributed the Aberdeen and Dundee Utd draws to Benji coming back from injury/ramadan/morocco when he changed the games. I certainly didn't see that as a masterstroke by Collins.

I used to see Collins standing there on the touchline looking empty turning to Tommy Craig for help because he just didn't know how to change things.

I felt let down by the ventriloquist press conference and how he signed too many duff players. We had an awright squad back them but the rot started when Collins got his own players in.

Stevie Reid
28-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I understand your point StevieReid but i attributed the Aberdeen and Dundee Utd draws to Benji coming back from injury/ramadan/morocco when he changed the games. I certainly didn't see that as a masterstroke by Collins.

I used to see Collins standing there on the touchline looking empty turning to Tommy Craig for help because he just didn't know how to change things.

I felt let down by the ventriloquist press conference and how he signed too many duff players. We had an awright squad back them but the rot started when Collins got his own players in.

I agree with nearly all that you have said there, but I still think that JC deserves credit for the comebacks. He was never afraid to use his subs (3 on at HT against Gretna) and very much looked at football as a squad game (though I think that that was ultimately not a good thing as he tinkered with the line up too much, setting out ony to counter the opposition, and not necessarily playing to our strenths).

Jamesie
28-06-2011, 12:28 PM

:top marks

Brown and Thomson wanted out, it was obvious. Maka, don't forget, will be playing in the Premiership next season.

I would have JC back in an instant.

KeithTheHibby
28-06-2011, 12:38 PM
So when we sign a dud, whose fault is it? Just one of them things? Or does the buck stop ultimately with the man who goes to the Chairman and says "get him signed please"? The odd dud is fine - it happens. Can you tell me a Collins signing who improved the team?

Ah right. So he did sell those players but, seeing as they would have been sold eventually anyway, it wasn't really him selling them? Got it.

JC's record in the transfer was poor, that is not in question.

Over the piece was he more successful that Mixu or Hughes when it came to success on the park with all those duds playing? No.

Your second point is rubbish. Hibs have been a selling club for as long as I can remember and you know fine well that the board are the ones that ultimately decide whether a player is sold or not. Are you trying to tell me that JC wanted to sell, KT, Brown and Sproule? And that Mowbray wanted to sell GoC? And that Mixu wanted to sell Murph and Whittaker? And that Hughes wanted to sell Stokes?

Have a word...

LancashireHibby
28-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Why do we always look to ex-players and ex-managers to return to ER? If CC goes then bring in someone fresh with fresh ideas. I know that was supposed to happen with CC, but I think Butcher has more than proven himself now (if indeed he wanted to leave ICT).

The Modfather
28-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Thats exactly what we did with Collins in charge.

So what's the consistent aspect accross 3 seperate managers (Collins, Hughes and Calderwood)?

It was proven that those who wanted to prosper did so(Stevenson, McCann etc) those who didn't have gone through the motions with 3 seperate managers.

I still believe most of our current problems stem from the players winning the power struggle against Collins.

Baldy Foghorn
28-06-2011, 01:12 PM
So what's the consistent aspect accross 3 seperate managers (Collins, Hughes and Calderwood)?

It was proven that those who wanted to prosper did so(Stevenson, McCann etc) those who didn't have gone through the motions with 3 seperate managers.

I still believe most of our current problems stem from the players winning the power struggle against Collins.

:agree::agree:

Speedway
28-06-2011, 01:17 PM
John Hughes, Mixu Paataleinen, John Collins, Tony Mowbray, Bobby Williamson, Franck Sauzee, Alex McLeish, Jim Duffy, Jocky Scott, Alex Miller, Pat Stanton, John Blackley, Pat Stanton, John Blackley, Pat Stanton, John Blackley and Bertie Old would all have taken us down if we'd have let them.

CC was brought in to save us from that - job done.

Wouldn't want any of them back.

Beefster
28-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Over the piece was he more successful that Mixu or Hughes when it came to success on the park with all those duds playing? No.

Your second point is rubbish. Hibs have been a selling club for as long as I can remember and you know fine well that the board are the ones that ultimately decide whether a player is sold or not. Are you trying to tell me that JC wanted to sell, KT, Brown and Sproule? And that Mowbray wanted to sell GoC? And that Mixu wanted to sell Murph and Whittaker? And that Hughes wanted to sell Stokes?

Have a word...

Collins was more successful in that he won a cup with a team in which he hadn't signed a single player, yes. I'll always be thankful for that cup win but, considering that there wasn't a single one of his signings in it, it's not evidence that he got success with those duds.

You're trying to twist my points about him selling players in order to make it into another argument. You said that Hibs were flogging every player under the sun but it was entirely Collins' decision to sell Thomson five months early, it was Collins' decision to sell Sproule (because he had 'Sproule on a motorbike' coming in) and, as you say, Brown would have been impossible to hold onto.

Collins also tried to attract players with the temptation of "One good season and I'll get you a move to the OF" so it's not like he was against selling players as a principle.

Wellbankhibby
28-06-2011, 01:27 PM

GGTTH

I would be happy for john collins to return but that wont happen Rod woudnt give him the money to strenghthen the team thats one of the reasons he walked out. Another reason was the disgraceful behaviour of our players at the time going behind his back,even worse rod not supporting the manager at the time. gordon strachan is by far the best man for the job and Hibs should do everything possible to appoint him, failing this terry butcher is my second choice. :flag:

Peevemor
28-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I would be happy for john collins to return but that wont happen Rod woudnt give him the money to strenghthen the team thats one of the reasons he walked out.

He got plenty money and wasted almost every penny.

Another reason was the disgraceful behaviour of our players at the time going behind his back,even worse rod not supporting the manager at the time.

RP had no choice but to meet the players, but he backed JC.

gordon strachan is by far the best man for the job and Hibs should do everything possible to appoint him, failing this terry butcher is my second choice. :flag:

Strachan - we'll see (maybe). Butcher - no thanks.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 01:59 PM

Spot on, he *****ed every penny he spent, did we recieve any money from any the players he brought to the club? Are any of them playing now at a better standard?

A great day at Hampden, and he deserves every credit for it, along with the previous manager who'd assembled most of them.

Again 100% spot on, the players approached Petrie after trying to approach Collins. Petrie heard what they had to say, but backed Collins. Collins fell out with the club because he couldnt sign £1m players, he's since gone on to do nothing of any significance since he left, very much like every player he signed.

Managers are supposed to come to clubs and improve the club, that certainly was not the case with him.

Andy74
28-06-2011, 02:03 PM

That can't really be right though as we hardly have a player left from then.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 02:06 PM
That can't really be right though as we hardly have a player left from then.

We still have Stevenson and McCann.:greengrin

Andy74
28-06-2011, 02:08 PM

So that's it, we've found the root of all our problems. Burn them.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Maka, don't forget, will be playing in the Premiership next season.

Wouldnae be surprised if he gets empty before the EPL Season starts

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Maka, don't forget, will be playing in the Premiership next season.

Wouldnae be surprised if he gets emptied before the EPL Season starts

poolman
28-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Aye, and JC played him at centre half against The Sheep :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Wouldnae be surprised if he gets empty before the EPL Season starts

Was listening to talksport on sunday, and they had some journo on from south wales talking about what they need for next season. He said the first thing they seriously need is a keeper now that De Vries has left for wolves (i think he said)? He certainly did not think Maka was capable of stepping up.

bighairyfaeleith
28-06-2011, 02:24 PM

Strachan - we'll see (maybe). Butcher - no thanks.

:agree: apart from being an english hun, he got sacked from a managers job in oz for not being good enough, i mean jesus thats bad!!

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2011, 02:26 PM
:agree: apart from being an english hun, he got sacked from a managers job in oz for not being good enough, i mean jesus thats bad!!

Butchers early career was pretty bad, although recently he'd done much better.

Kaiser1962
28-06-2011, 02:43 PM

What did they win?

BEEJ
28-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Actually, it's more likely that RP was less hands-on from the date of JC's departure until more recently.

The poor PR in the aftermath of JC's resignation coupled with the appointment of SL as CEO a few weeks later, seemed to bring about a rethink in this area.

It was good while it lasted. :rolleyes:

I don't want JC back but I am constantly stunned at how many people speak ill of a manager who won us a trophy, and in such spectacular style. JC turned out not to be the right man for Hibs and yes, his signings were almost universally poor - but he was not "mince".
:agree: He was tactically shrewd and was probably our best manager for many years 'in the dugout' during the 90 minutes of a match.

His work and fitness ethic was admirable and the club should still be pursuing it.

However, JC's man-management skills would have stirred up a riot in a monastery. And he seemed unable to bring players of quality to the club. His sense of self-belief was such that he thought he could turn journeymen players and complete duds into cup winners.

Two fundamental flaws in the preferred club manager profile, unfortunately.

:agree: JC's contribution to the valuation of those players for sale was invaluable. I doubt we'd have got as much for Brown and Thomson without his input.

All the more ironic then that the player budget he was given was so small relative to the money that was coming into the club at the time from transfer fees.

sahib
28-06-2011, 03:06 PM
I didn't think Collin's was very good at Hibs. His ideals were fine but his team couldn't play out from the back ,as he wanted them to, especially after the better players were sold. The attacking football of the Mowbray period gave way to an ineffective, tedious style, after initially looking like he was going to take it on to a new level as witnessed by the thumping of Motherwell.
If I thought John had gone away and re-assesed his time here and understood the barriers between where the team is and where he would want it to be and had a strategy to overcome them, then I would be happy enough to see him back.
He is still a guy with limited managerial experience, though. Maybe he should have gone away and taken an assistant's job for a few years after he finished with Charleroi.

basehibby
28-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I'd be very very surprised to see JC back in the Hibees hotseat.

1) HE walked of his own choice first time round and I just couldn't see him putting himself forward while the same people are ruling the roost - matter of principal and all that surely!
2) Even if he did put himself forward I reckon Petrie et al would take a hell of a lot of convincing to give him the job given that he walked out on them previously.

Because of the above, the talk of Collins in the role seems more pie in the sky than any of the others as far as I can see.

CRAZYHIBBY
28-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I really dont see the fascination with john collins:confused:........i think some folk on here have some sort of weird man crush on him:greengrin................If CC blooms goes then id be happy to see Strachan or maybe even butcher. We should be looking to the future not a mediocre past.:agree:

s.a.m
28-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Have a word...

John Collins gave an interview to a Belgian paper (that was copied on here, as I remember) in which he said that he had recommended to the Board that it was the right time to sell their young talented players. He felt that having instigated the bringing in of this money, he should have been entitled to spend a proportion of it. His beef with the Board was not that the players were sold, but that he didn't get the money he wanted from the proceeds.

If he had spent the time between leaving Charleroi (can't remember exactly what he said after that one, but IIRC it was something along the lines of them not being able to offer him the sort of financial backing that he was going to need to put in motion his vision for the club) and now, learning his trade, we might have had an idea how / if he was progressing as a manager. As it is, he's no more experienced (as far as I know) than when he left us. It doesn't look like he's that keen on a career in football management, or he would have been doing something about it.

sambajustice
28-06-2011, 04:13 PM
JC would make a far far better youth coach, coaching 13's-18's. Drilling in the right habits, diets, football mentality etc so that by the time they are first team players they are already fit, strong and can play football. You can't teach guys in their mid twenties and thirty's to suddenly start playing football a completely different way if they've never done it before! Which is what I thought he tried to do at Hibs.

Can we not get collins and Sauzee to run youth development at Hibs?? I'm sure we'd start seeing amazing results in 5 years!! :-D:-D

The Hurricane
28-06-2011, 08:22 PM
John Collins gave an interview to a Belgian paper (that was copied on here, as I remember) in which he said that he had recommended to the Board that it was the right time to sell their young talented players. He felt that having instigated the bringing in of this money, he should have been entitled to spend a proportion of it. His beef with the Board was not that the players were sold, but that he didn't get the money he wanted from the proceeds.

If he had spent the time between leaving Charleroi (can't remember exactly what he said after that one, but IIRC it was something along the lines of them not being able to offer him the sort of financial backing that he was going to need to put in motion his vision for the club) and now, learning his trade, we might have had an idea how / if he was progressing as a manager. As it is, he's no more experienced (as far as I know) than when he left us. It doesn't look like he's that keen on a career in football management, or he would have been doing something about it.
Well known in football circles he will never get another job as manager after his arrogance and poor man management at Hibs. Disliked by everyone at E R for his attitude to staff and players

R'Albin
28-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Can we not get collins and Sauzee to run youth development at Hibs?? I'm sure we'd start seeing amazing results in 5 years!! :-D:-D

That would be epic:thumbsup:

AlbertK86
28-06-2011, 08:31 PM
JC would make a far far better youth coach, coaching 13's-18's. Drilling in the right habits, diets, football mentality etc so that by the time they are first team players they are already fit, strong and can play football. You can't teach guys in their mid twenties and thirty's to suddenly start playing football a completely different way if they've never done it before! Which is what I thought he tried to do at Hibs. <br />
<br />
Can we not get collins and Sauzee to run youth development at Hibs?? I'm sure we'd start seeing amazing results in 5 years!! :-D:-D<br />
<br />
I'm pretty sure he is doing some youth development for the SFA just now. There is no way he will be back at hibs whilst Rod still their. I would certainly not be back he i was him until we had a board that matched his ambition

snooky
28-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I really dont see the fascination with john collins:confused:........i think some folk on here have some sort of weird man crush on him:greengrin................If CC blooms goes then id be happy to see Strachan or maybe even butcher. We should be looking to the future not a mediocre past.:agree:

Aye, & remember JC's ventroloquist, Tommy (Alan O'Brien) Craig?
Oh dear. :rolleyes:

hfc rd
28-06-2011, 08:42 PM
I really don't know about JC. Yes he is an ex-hibs player and manager and under his reign the team looked so fit and played some very nice football. But then again he resigned because he felt the funds made available to him where not enough for him to go out and attract good players. He wanted to sign players like Jamie Smith from Aberdeen, Steven Hammell from Motherwell and Steven Naismith from Kilmarnock (at that time) but obviously the board didn't sanction those moves because we couldn't compete financially with the teams that were interested in those players and had to settle for players like Alain O'Brien, Filipe Morais etc. Here we are 4 years later and it still seems that the transfer and wage budget is quite similar to the budget JC had to operate with. The new manager isn't exactly going to have £500K - £1M to spend on players. Maybe just on one player but not on 3-4 players. I can't remember the last time we signed a player with that sort of money. Think Stokes was the last one that we spent that sort of money on but as you may know. That was two seasons ago.

R'Albin
28-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Aye, & remember JC's ventroloquist, Tommy (Alan O'Brien) Craig?
Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Has anybody got a link to that interview(the video of it)?

spike220
29-06-2011, 02:56 AM
I really don't know about JC. Yes he is an ex-hibs player and manager and under his reign the team looked so fit and played some very nice football. But then again he resigned because he felt the funds made available to him where not enough for him to go out and attract good players. He wanted to sign players like Jamie Smith from Aberdeen, Steven Hammell from Motherwell and Steven Naismith from Kilmarnock (at that time) but obviously the board didn't sanction those moves because we couldn't compete financially with the teams that were interested in those players and had to settle for players like Alain O'Brien, Filipe Morais etc. Here we are 4 years later and it still seems that the transfer and wage budget is quite similar to the budget JC had to operate with. The new manager isn't exactly going to have £500K - £1M to spend on players. Maybe just on one player but not on 3-4 players. I can't remember the last time we signed a player with that sort of money. Think Stokes was the last one that we spent that sort of money on but as you may know. That was two seasons ago.

They might have a few quid to play with if RP drives a hard bargin with Birmingham!

GGTTH

spike220
29-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Perhaps you are the natural left-footer here? The thought seemed to have entered your mind far quicker than anyone elses!!!

Colins would bring on our youngsters and get the most of GOC, his cornerstones would be fitness and competition for places on the starting XI.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ5judZX8wfFN701ERiJs9Blh6N2Bzd bxmLaM9ER3mcenLZwUq1Q

GGTTH

yekimevol
29-06-2011, 09:39 AM
[/LIST]We played Hearts off the park at ER and beat a team that finished above us in the SPL 5-1 in front of 40,000 Hibbies at Hampden. We have won a handful of trophies in our history and that final was one of our proudest moments - why belittle our success?

you have got me on the hearts one. but i believe that your are proving my point with the kille one. they had a worse squad than us that season by along shot. The squad we had that season should have finished 4th no questions asked ! But they finished 6th under collins.

Stevie Reid
29-06-2011, 12:03 PM
you have got me on the hearts one. but i believe that your are proving my point with the kille one. they had a worse squad than us that season by along shot. The squad we had that season should have finished 4th no questions asked ! But they finished 6th under collins.

I'm not proving your point, I'm wholeheartedly disagreeing with you being so dismissive of a 5-1 victory in a national cup final. Maybe Killie did have a worse squad but they had a very good manager. In any case, who do you think finished the season happier? Killie fans for a 5th place finish, or us in 6th and with a trophy? hearts finished 4th that season, do you think they were happier than us?

As I said, I wouldn't have Collins back as he had many flaws - but let's not deny a Hibs legend the recognition that the cup win entitles him to.

spike220
29-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm not proving your point, I'm wholeheartedly disagreeing with you being so dismissive of a 5-1 victory in a national cup final. Maybe Killie did have a worse squad but they had a very good manager. In any case, who do you think finished the season happier? Killie fans for a 5th place finish, or us in 6th and with a trophy?

As I said, I wouldn't have Collins back as he had many flaws - but let's not deny a Hibs legend the recognition that the cup win entitles him to.

I agree with the fact that JC is Hibs legend. 5-1 naebody can take that away ever, one of proudest moments in decades. And I have to lissten people greeting about 5th or 6th place, I couldnae care less. But 5-1, what a result!!

John Colins Hibs Legend!!!
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb18jMQABhR1_WDRIwquHdtiA7IxZ1D 6KK4Ekx6LGSDZ-puKpaMA

Come back home John.

Please.

GGTTH

Baldy Foghorn
29-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm not proving your point, I'm wholeheartedly disagreeing with you being so dismissive of a 5-1 victory in a national cup final. Maybe Killie did have a worse squad but they had a very good manager. In any case, who do you think finished the season happier? Killie fans for a 5th place finish, or us in 6th and with a trophy? hearts finished 4th that season, do you think they were happier than us?

Billy Whizz
29-06-2011, 02:13 PM
My view is I think he would make a great 1st Team coach. Maybe someone will take him on in this role sometime!

lucky
29-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Can't see it happening and don't want him. We can't keep looking backwards if we are to go forward.

harpo
29-06-2011, 03:45 PM
If the custodians of our club are doing their job correctly they should at least be making enquiries about Gus Poyet.

Voted the best manager in the English lower leagues, he loves to play attractive, expansive football and has done one hell of a great jobe with Brighton and Hove Albion, plus i'm sure his contract expired at the end of the season.

Over to you Petrie!

Kaiser1962
29-06-2011, 03:47 PM
How would we feel when he moved to Celtic?

Perhaps you are the natural left-footer here? The thought seemed to have entered your mind far quicker than anyone elses!!!

Colins would bring on our youngsters and get the most of GOC, his cornerstones would be fitness and competition for places on the starting XI.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ5judZX8wfFN701ERiJs9Blh6N2Bzd bxmLaM9ER3mcenLZwUq1Q

GGTTH

Stevie Reid
29-06-2011, 03:48 PM
If the custodians of our club are doing their job correctly they should at least be making enquiries about Gus Poyet.

Voted the best manager in the English lower leagues, he loves to play attractive, expansive football and has done one hell of a great jobe with Brighton and Hove Albion, plus i'm sure his contract expired at the end of the season.

Over to you Petrie!

Has just got Brighton promoted to the 5th richest league in the world, where he will be able to attract players with transfer fees and salaries that are way out of our reach. Brighton have a new stadium to move into also.

No way he would come.

Benny Brazil
29-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Has just got Brighton promoted to the 5th richest league in the world, where he will be able to attract players with transfer fees and salaries that are way out of our reach. Brighton have a new stadium to move into also.

No way he would come.

Agreed - he's destined for the EPL soon I would think.

pacorosssco
29-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Over to you Petrie!

Great shout mate but cash could be a stumbling block as ever.

DC_Hibs
29-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Over to you Petrie!

Harpo indeed................

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Some people really need to re-evaluate what size of a club we actually are in the grand scheme of things.

hibee92
29-06-2011, 04:00 PM
nooooooooooooo danger he'd come to us.

pacorosssco
29-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Some people really need to re-evaluate what size of a club we actually are in the grand scheme of things.

It depends on how you look at it?.

Brighton have little history and not won very much if at all(sorry cant be arsed checking). Championship a tough league where many big teams struggle and there is still a big disparity in wages from top to the bottom of the league.

Time is a funny thing. Ten years ago it was a no contest that the Hibs job was the bigger. Now it is debatable in regards to prestige but its no contest financially with Brighton no doubt with Championship money having more resources .

We too have a new stadium and historically have a better chance of filling it with a good team than Brighton in addition to having a realistic chance of trophy's/European footy every year.

Not as cut and dry as some think. England is higher profile but what if Poyet is good and can put together a good team at Hibs over a two/three year period bringing crowds back and success.

Who to say the championship isnt due a collapse Old Firm style of resources in the near future?

Id like Poyet as manager. Best shout offered so far. If you dont ask........

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-06-2011, 04:17 PM
If its a case of who we'd like, why not ask the Barca manager?!!

Leicester Fan
29-06-2011, 04:23 PM
He probably the best young manager in Britain atm. I don't blame anyone for hoping for him but I doubt he'd move north except maybe for the Old Firm.

Cropley10
29-06-2011, 04:24 PM

Never mind the revolving door to the manager's office. :agree:

pacorosssco
29-06-2011, 04:27 PM
If its a case of who we'd like, why not ask the Barca manager?!!

I didnt say we and I dont speak on behalf of all Hibs fans.

Poyet is a good shout. A manager I would be happy with. If we can get him is another question .

Johnny_Leith
29-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Brighton have little history and not won very much if at all(sorry cant be arsed checking). Championship a tough league where many big teams struggle and there is still a big disparity in wages from top to the bottom of the league.

Time is a funny thing. Ten years ago it was a no contest that the Hibs job was the bigger. Now it is debatable in regards to prestige but its no contest financially with Brighton no doubt with Championship money having more resources .

We too have a new stadium and historically have a better chance of filling it with a good team than Brighton in addition to having a realistic chance of trophy's/European footy every year.

Not as cut and dry as some think. England is higher profile but what if Poyet is good and can put together a good team at Hibs over a two/three year period bringing crowds back and success.

Who to say the championship isnt due a collapse Old Firm style of resources in the near future?

Sure I read somewhere that Brighton have sold out their season ticket allocation of 16,000!

Springbank
29-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Over to you Petrie!

i like the way you think, a bit more positivity - every challenge is an opportunity

so, apologies for the facetious comment to follow, but going on from the part in bold, most Hibs managers are known as being useless Jobbies, rather than doing one helluva Jobe here :-)

booooooo, I know, I know

I do like the ambitious way you think and fwiw I totally agree - if you don't ask you'll never know.

I hope WGS and Billy Davies get a phonecall at least, that's all I'm saying

allezsauzee
29-06-2011, 04:38 PM
He probably the best young manager in Britain atm. I don't blame anyone for hoping for him but I doubt he'd move north except maybe for the Old Firm.

Better than Gary Bollan? :greengrin

.Sean.
29-06-2011, 04:45 PM

No way he would come.
Which looks immense, btw :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-06-2011, 04:48 PM
I didnt say we and I dont speak on behalf of all Hibs fans.

Poyet is a good shout. A manager I would be happy with. If we can get him is another question .

Poyet IS a good shout. Theres a massive list of managers that would be a good shout out there, lets be realistic though eh.

CRAZYHIBBY
29-06-2011, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=spike220;2844318]Perhaps you are the natural left-footer here? The thought seemed to have entered your mind far quicker than anyone elses!!!

Oooooohh looks like i hit a nerve:greengrin

Jones28
29-06-2011, 04:56 PM
When you compare the Championship and the SPL it's, imo, fairly clear cut who the winner is.

For quality, attendances and amount of money being thrown around the Championship is a clear winner. Unfortunatly having history and hosting 2 of the most competative derbys in world football isn't enough to attract the likes of Gus Poyet to Easter Road.

As previously mentioned, we are, in the grand scheme of british football, a small team, as are all other Scottish teams outwith the Old Firm.

We'll get there i think, certainly we will be the third force in Scotland within the next 3 years. Even this season i think we can finish third, provided that when CC finally announces he's leaving we bring in a new manager who can work with the current squad, only adding a few more players to it, as opposed to having to do another complete overhaul.

Had he not become a coach at Chelsea i would have loved to see Roberto De Matteo at ER. Now the choices for replacement are thin on the ground, with Terry Butcher and Derek Mccinnes the only choices i would like to see within the SPL, Gordon Strachan, Jonny Collins and maybe someone like Alan Shearer from outwith

1Eddie_Turnbull
29-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Congratulations! One of the most ill-informed posts I've read but, tbf, you couldn't be arsed!

RIP
29-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Edinburgh is north of the Watford gap

Unless you are a Geordie that might as well be on the moon

Unless there is a precedent I'm missing that is

pacorosssco
29-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Congratulations! One of the most ill-informed posts I've read but, tbf, you couldn't be arsed!

ok then . ill informed regarding this years season ticket sales. please tell me what major trophies Brighton have won. the rest is up to debate

welcome to hibs net youll be right at home here

LancashireHibby
29-06-2011, 05:44 PM
ok then . ill informed regarding this years season ticket sales. please tell me what major trophies Brighton have won. the rest is up to debate

welcome to hibs net youll be right at home here

What major trophies have WE won? Brighton have got a huge fanbase who simply haven't been able to get their hands on tickets for the past 10 years. We aren't even close to being in the same financial league as them.

pacorosssco
29-06-2011, 06:05 PM
What major trophies have WE won? Brighton have got a huge fanbase who simply haven't been able to get their hands on tickets for the past 10 years. We aren't even close to being in the same financial league as them.

Compared to Brighton we have won 9 major trophies against there 0. Sorry Hibs are obviously a wee team and shouldn't dare to think we are bigger than a team that almost went out of the football league not that long ago .

Hibs dont have a huge fanbase and dont have a new stadium and I should just accept the mediocrity that is being served up.

harpo
29-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Harpo indeed................

Good informative, constructive answer.................erse!

lucky
29-06-2011, 06:29 PM
FFS our manager is leaving to become a number two in the championship so why would he leave a managers post to come to the back water of the SPL. Some of the names being touted are laughable. Get real guys Hibs are a middle of league SPL team who sometimes finish 3/4. The SPL is not rated in England so no up coming manager is going to leave the the championship to come here

harpo
29-06-2011, 06:35 PM

You make alot of good points mate, but maybe on hindsight i'm being a bit to ambitious and we should just shut up and put up with mid table mediocrity season after season, like alot of hibs.net posters seem to be happy with.

LancashireHibby
29-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Compared to Brighton we have won 9 major trophies against there 0. Sorry Hibs are obviously a wee team and shouldn't dare to think we are bigger than a team that almost went out of the football league not that long ago .

Hibs dont have a huge fanbase and dont have a new stadium and I should just accept the mediocrity that is being served up.

All won from a much smaller pool of competition. Let's not forget that our manager is likely to be leaving to be an assistant at a Championship club, so why would a highly rated manager who seems to be heading for the EPL choose to come in the opposite direction?!

As intimated earlier in the thread, the SPL barely even registers once you get above mid-table League One.

I don't accept mediocrity either, but we have to be a little more realistic with our targets.

harpo
29-06-2011, 06:56 PM
All won from a much smaller pool of competition. Let's not forget that our manager is likely to be leaving to be an assistant at a Championship club, so why would a highly rated manager who seems to be heading for the EPL choose to come in the opposite direction?!

As intimated earlier in the thread, the SPL barely even registers once you get above mid-table League One.

I don't accept mediocrity either, but we have to be a little more realistic with our targets.

I agree with what you say and with hindsight I guess there is no chance we would get Gus Poyet, however I feel you should also be a bit more realistic about how big a club Hibs are, with a rich history that a club like Brighton could never achieve. I'm willing to give you a history lesson if you want one.

Hamish
29-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Even if he was interested, which I am extremely sceptical about, when Harry gets the call from the FA re the England job, high up on the list for the Spurs job would probably be Gustavo Poyet, so the current pantomime would be repeated

LancashireHibby
29-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I agree with what you say and with hindsight I guess there is no chance we would get Gus Poyet, however I feel you should also be a bit more realistic about how big a club Hibs are, with a rich history that a club like Brighton could never achieve. I'm willing to give you a history lesson if you want one.

For a young manager, I'm not sure how much history would play a part when coming to the SPL pretty much takes you away from the radar for any EPL jobs.

1Eddie_Turnbull
29-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Gus Poyet would have to be insane to leave Brighton to come to Hibs. As far as I'm aware he's not. It will never happen regardless of the fact that history shows more trophies won etc. I would think that stat is completely irrelevant in comparison to more obvious, more important factors.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Haven't read the response to the OP as I'm bursting on a pish and I'm going outside for a smoke but there's no way in hell we'll be able to attract big Gustavo to Easter Road, he's on his way up on the managerial ladder.

heretoday
29-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Brighton are moving into a brand new stadium at Falmer next season after having been promoted.

There is absolutely no chance Poyet would even consider coming north at the moment.

Jimmy Calderwood might be keen. That's the calibre of manager we're looking at in reality.

tamig
29-06-2011, 09:49 PM

No way he would come.

Absolutely. Why on earth would he even contemplate a move to the SPL? Exciting times ahead for Brighton. Some people really need to get a grip of reality around here :rolleyes:

IberianHibernian
29-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I`m one of many who believe English football at all levels is greatly overhyped and find it depressing to read that any manager or player " would have to be mad " to come to us and this coming from Hibs fans . A lot of the comments come from Hibs fans who live in England , others from Hibs fans whose views are based on Sky Sports hysteria all aimed at boosting viewing figures . Of course money matters for prospective managers and players and above all their agents but I`d like to think ( but doubt very much ) someone in our club really does make a big effort to attract top players / managers - do they know about training ground , stadium , Edinburgh being a supposedly good place to live , financial restrictions on OF and problems of other SPL competitors , that players like Sauzee and Latapy have played for us recently , that a high % of SPL clubs qualiy for Europe , ..... ?
Thread started with mention of Poyet - unrealistic probably but we are desperately needing a boost ( for fans and general profile of club ) . If CC leaves ( and even if he doesn`t now , we should always be looking for our next manager ) we shouldn`t limit our search to lower reaches of English football . What about Brian Kerr (Faroes , ex Ireland ) , Antonio Calderon ( Ex Raith and with a lot of experience with clubs with good youth systems in Spain ) , Victor Muñoz ( ex St Mirren player - as a manager would be expensive but possibly a very good investment if our club are prepared to push the boat out ) ,... and there are many more possibilities IF our club are prepared to really make an effort to push on . The Sauzee appointment as manager and subsequent departure was a huge letdown for fans who thought we were going to move onto a higher platform and since then there has been nothing to suggest we`re aiming at anything higher than odd 3rd finish in SPL and crowds for survival - nothing to lift profile of club at all .

Gala Foxes
29-06-2011, 10:18 PM
yeah - thats going to happen, leave a club with 18,000 season ticket holders in the championship

hibee92
29-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Which looks immense, btw :agree:

i agree :agree: they customise the away end to suit the visitors, genius :agree:

spike220
29-06-2011, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=spike220;2844318]Perhaps you are the natural left-footer here? The thought seemed to have entered your mind far quicker than anyone elses!!!

Oooooohh looks like i hit a nerve:greengrin

So that is the best you got to offer.....Dont employ JC because you think he is good looking! Taxi for Crazyhibby please.

Beefster
30-06-2011, 05:25 AM
So that is the best you got to offer.....Dont employ JC because you think he is good looking! Taxi for Crazyhibby please.

To be fair, you've been given plenty of reasons why Collins shouldn't/won't become manager again. You've given one reason why he should.

Stevie Reid
30-06-2011, 09:11 AM
You make alot of good points mate, but maybe on hindsight i'm being a bit to ambitious and we should just shut up and put up with mid table mediocrity season after season, like alot of hibs.net posters seem to be happy with.

'Accepting mediocrity' has got to be right up there with 'showing ambition' as the most infuriating recurring phrase on Hibs.net - in what way are others accepting mediocrity and how does one avoid it?

I have renewed yet again next season, is that a mistake, I am now accepting mediocrity? I don't think so - supporting a football team requires significant investment both financially and emotionally, something I am prepared to do regardless of who is playing out on the park and stood in the dug out. I want nothing but the best for Hibs but I, like many others, just happen to have a realistic idea of who/what the best we can attract is.

This is far from an uber fan statement, I just get angered by the constant implication that certain Hibs supporters are accepting mediocrity when we are in fact, accepting realism. Do I like it when Hibs finish in mid table? Not really. Do I accept it? Yes - cos what else am I gonna do, walk away and stop supporting them? Hardly. Whilst mid table mediocrity would actually have been preferable to the 3rd bottom distaster that was last season, how many Hibs fans do you know that say at the start of the season that they hope that we'll finish in mid table?

Naming a pie in the sky target as a manager doesn't mean anything other than you don't appreciate how appealing the Championship is to a manager, especially to one who has just been promoted from League One. Likewise, people who believe that he wouldn't leave Brighton to come to Hibs are not belittling the club we love, we are just aware that trying to attract someone to manage us with less quality on offer and a fraction of the budgets available to spend on wages/transfers is not an appealing prospect for a manager at the start of his career in England.

brog
30-06-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't think the OP was being realistic but does he really need to be slaughtered on here? It's all about opinions, ill informed or not & I despair at times why people rush to criticise well intended posts.
FWIW I've lived in England for over 30 years, have family affiliations with Brighton who are a very big club but I agree with the poster who states English football, & the Championship in particular, is very overrated. Maybe it's because my nearest club is Crystal Palace, strangely they're Brighton's main rivals, but I've seen more dire games there than I care to think about. Last season's epic vs PNE made me long for the halcyon days of Stuart Turnbull & Benny Brazil! :greengrin

harpo
30-06-2011, 10:57 AM
'Accepting mediocrity' has got to be right up there with 'showing ambition' as the most infuriating recurring phrase on Hibs.net - in what way are others accepting mediocrity and how does one avoid it?

I have renewed yet again next season, is that a mistake, I am now accepting mediocrity? I don't think so - supporting a football team requires significant investment both financially and emotionally, something I am prepared to do regardless of who is playing out on the park and stood in the dug out. I want nothing but the best for Hibs but I, like many others, just happen to have a realistic idea of who/what the best we can attract is.

This is far from an uber fan statement, I just get angered by the constant implication that certain Hibs supporters are accepting mediocrity when we are in fact, accepting realism. Do I like it when Hibs finish in mid table? Not really. Do I accept it? Yes - cos what else am I gonna do, walk away and stop supporting them? Hardly. Whilst mid table mediocrity would actually have been preferable to the 3rd bottom distaster that was last season, how many Hibs fans do you know that say at the start of the season that they hope that we'll finish in mid table?

Naming a pie in the sky target as a manager doesn't mean anything other than you don't appreciate how appealing the Championship is to a manager, especially to one who has just been promoted from League One. Likewise, people who believe that he wouldn't leave Brighton to come to Hibs are not belittling the club we love, we are just aware that trying to attract someone to manage us with less quality on offer and a fraction of the budgets available to spend on wages/transfers is not an appealing prospect for a manager at the start of his career in England.

Having read your reply I admit that I may be a little too ambitious with my expectations for Hibernian, however I would much rather have too much ambition than little or no ambition at all which seems to be your case.

With your outlook for Hibernian we would never have been the footballing pioneers that we were in the 1950's under the chairmanship of the great Harry swan who saw Hibernian as a footballing giant, and of course in the 1970's we had the great Tom Hart another chairman with similar ambitions.

Without ambition Hibernian would never had signed an up and coming manager like Jock Stein or had the audacity to sign one of the most famous players of all George Best. Even more recently we showed ambition by signing the likes of Sauzee and Latapy.

If being realistic means little or no ambition, then in my mind that's simply not good enough for my beloved Hibernian and thankfully Harry Swan and Tom Hart must have felt the same.

Stevie Reid
30-06-2011, 11:01 AM

Having read your reply I admit that I may be a little too ambitious with my expectations for Hibernian, however I would much rather have too much ambition than little or no ambition at all which seems to be your case.

With your outlook for Hibernian we would never have been the footballing pioneers that we were in the 1950's under the chairmanship of the great Harry swan who saw Hibernian as a footballing giant, and of course in the 1970's we had the great Tom Hart another chairman with similar ambitions.

Without ambition Hibernian would never had signed an up and coming manager like Jock Stein or had the audacity to sign one of the most famous players of all George Best. Even more recently we showed ambition by signing the likes of Sauzee and Latapy.

If being realistic means little or no ambition, then in my mind that's simply not good enough for my beloved Hibernian and thankfully Harry Swan and Tom Hart must have felt the same.

Being realistic does not mean little or no ambition, and there's nothing in my post that alludes to that. Your response is just as infuriating as your previous post that I quoted, infering that I don't want good things to happen to Hibs, despite the fact that that is ridiculous and have said nothing of the sort.

I find your statements about "my outlook for Hibernian" to be pious in the extreme - I want the best for Hibs, same as you do, I'm just more realistic about who we can attract to help us achieve fulfilling our potential. I find it highly amusing that you naming Gus Poyet as a managerial target somehow equates to you being a more worthy Hibs supporter than me. If I say that think we should try to sign Craig Mackail-Smith, am I more worthy, or just naming a target as unrealistic as yours?

jgl07
30-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Over to you Petrie!

And people call the Yams deluded!

Bad Martini
01-07-2011, 12:04 AM

Muirhouse grove :greengrin

:not worth ... enter the stalkers :greengrin

OK, ah shall rephrase.

"Strachan from North Edinburgh would in fact, given the names mooted (includin huns :rolleyes:) not be a bad choice...."

How does that dae for ye's :thumbsup::thumbsup:

HibbingtonHibs
01-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Folk better prepare themselves for much worse than has been mentioned so far. Petrie would not relish the prospect of telling Butcher or Strachan that theres no transfer budget.

Butcher would be excellent, but he's not going to come here on Petrie's terms.

I'm betting on the one season wonder from league 2 or Scottish first div, or some ex hibby (o'Neill). petrie has an M.O. And neither Butcher nor Strachan fit that bill.

harpo
01-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Being realistic does not mean little or no ambition, and there's nothing in my post that alludes to that. Your response is just as infuriating as your previous post that I quoted, infering that I don't want good things to happen to Hibs, despite the fact that that is ridiculous and have said nothing of the sort.

I find your statements about "my outlook for Hibernian" to be pious in the extreme - I want the best for Hibs, same as you do, I'm just more realistic about who we can attract to help us achieve fulfilling our potential. I find it highly amusing that you naming Gus Poyet as a managerial target somehow equates to you being a more worthy Hibs supporter than me. If I say that think we should try to sign Craig Mackail-Smith, am I more worthy, or just naming a target as unrealistic as yours?

Think you need to chill as you have completely ignored the points in my previous post and chosen to invent what I said.

Show me where I implied that I was a more worthy Hibs supporter than you?

You mentioned Craig Mackail-Smith and it got me thinking about his Scotland teammate Steven Naismith who I feel is a better player. John Collins wanted to bring Naismith to Hibs about 4 yrs ago but it fell through.

Do you feel Collins was being 'unrealistic' with his signing targets or was he 'deluded' or was he just being ambitious?

Lucius Apuleius
01-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Folk better prepare themselves for much worse than has been mentioned so far. Petrie would not relish the prospect of telling Butcher or Strachan that theres no transfer budget.

I'm betting on the one season wonder from league 2 or Scottish first div, or some ex hibby (o'Neill). petrie has an M.O. And neither Butcher nor Strachan fit that bill.

Please expand on above and explain what his MO is? I am confused.

Peevemor
01-07-2011, 05:54 AM

Transfer budgets don't really exist any more, everything comes under the total available each year for player salaries, transfers, signing on fees , etc. Hibs have increased this every year for the past 4/5 years (though I don't know about the season just finished). The sooner people realise this and stop posting pish, the better.

Why? What's he done that's so great and what are Petrie's terms?

Septimus
01-07-2011, 06:09 AM
There seems to be a theme in the thread above demanding a manager who will kick ass. Last one to do that was JC and he got no backing from Petrie. In fact the opposite as Petrie appeared to undermine his position.

The players that Hibs now employ are surely not going out week after week deliberately underperforming so kick ass is not what they need.

Someone who can organise, cajole, prepare, encourage and who has a tactical knowledge of the game would be just the man. And a passion for winning might be quite a good quality too.

Kaiser1962
01-07-2011, 07:13 AM
There seems to be a theme in the thread above demanding a manager who will kick ass. Last one to do that was JC and he got no backing from Petrie. In fact the opposite as Petrie appeared to undermine his position.

JC was as disliked a figure as it was possible to be. Speak to players and they'll tell you and the fact he is still unemployed speaks volumes. JC could be a very good manager as he has excellent ideas but his people skills are as low as his ego is high.

What did Petrie actually do to undermine him? If all your workmates went to your boss's boss with a complaint and were told to ferk off what would your next step be?

spike220
01-07-2011, 07:32 AM
To be fair, you've been given plenty of reasons why Collins shouldn't/won't become manager again. You've given one reason why he should.

To be fair, if you read the thread I gave more than one reason. 1. 5-1 in one of our finest moments as a club. 2. the conditioning of the players. 3. getting the best out of GOC.

I didn’t even need to mention his outrageously good looks....:greengrin

At this moment I'd take him back in a flash, he'd do us proud and knock this current lot into shape. I think the only thing missing is a good no. 2 with a good eye for talent.

GGTTH

Stevie Reid
01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Think you need to chill as you have completely ignored the points in my previous post and chosen to invent what I said.

Show me where I implied that I was a more worthy Hibs supporter than you?

You mentioned Craig Mackail-Smith and it got me thinking about his Scotland teammate Steven Naismith who I feel is a better player. John Collins wanted to bring Naismith to Hibs about 4 yrs ago but it fell through.

Do you feel Collins was being 'unrealistic' with his signing targets or was he 'deluded' or was he just being ambitious?

Given that Naismith signed for Rangers for £1.9M, that question answers itself. Incidentally, I didn't use the word deluded in any of my posts.

I haven't ignored the points in your previous post, I addressed them directly - you stated that with "my outlook for Hibernian" we wouldn't have achieved some of the great things the club has achieved, which isn't true. Ironically it seems that you didn't read my previous posts as your reply is about how I have little no ambitions for Hibs, which simply isn't true and was never what I have stated at any point throughout this thread.

You want evidence of where you implied that you were a more worthy Hibs supporter than me, just read your whole post again - though your statement that my (fabricated) lack of ambition for Hibs is "in your mind simply not good enough for your beloved Hibernian" is a particular highlight.

Cropley10
01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
JC was as disliked a figure as it was possible to be. Speak to players and they'll tell you and the fact he is still unemployed speaks volumes. JC could be a very good manager as he has excellent ideas but his people skills are as low as his ego is high.

What did Petrie actually do to undermine him? If all your workmates went to your boss's boss with a complaint and were told to ferk off what would your next step be?

I know people who played with him who wouldn't agree, but hey it's suit your agenda.

I think you'll find rather than being unemployed he's actually retired, based on what he earned from the game.

Collins' players went to Petrie because they weren't happy with being told to work hard(er) They should have been shown the door. I'd say it was Petrie's ego that took over there. We've never been the same since...

Betty Boop
01-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Well known in football circles he will never get another job as manager after his arrogance and poor man management at Hibs. Disliked by everyone at E R for his attitude to staff and players

Everyone ? I don't think that is the case.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2011, 09:35 AM

How many players are still at the club now that were there when that apparently happened?

Dr Jimmy
01-07-2011, 09:44 AM
How many players are still at the club now that were there when that apparently happened?

The players may have changed, but the culture hasn't.

Septimus
I would have JC present at the interview.

GloryGlory
I know people who played with him who wouldn't agree, but hey it's suit your agenda.

I think you'll find rather than being unemployed he's actually retired, based on what he earned from the game.

Collins' players went to Petrie because they weren't happy with being told to work hard(er) They should have been shown the door. I'd say it was Petrie's ego that took over there. We've never been the same since...

Maybe JC's people skills could have been improved - his football management demands were, IMO, spot on. He wanted full time professional players to actually work and act like full time professional players and to maximise both their physical and mental fitness and their talents as footballers. I don't remember his team running out of steam after 65-70 minutes in every game. I've seen that happen all too often with Mixu's and Hughes's teams.

IMO, there were (and in some cases continue to be) far too many players at Hibs who were happy to take a full time salary but treated the job like a paid hobby.

Delboy4
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
I would honestly love John Collins as manager with Frank Sauzee as his assistant.

JC could whip the team into being fit and playing nice football again with FS equally showing the players how to pass a ball...FS would also bring some French players to the team - WHAT A PARTNERSHIP..!
:flag:

Get it sorted Petrie, eat humble pie.
Season books would be flying out the office.

Dibben
01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I would honestly love John Collins as manager with Frank Sauzee as his assistant.

JC could whip the team into being fit and playing nice football again with FS equally showing the players how to pass a ball...FS would also bring some French players to the team - WHAT A PARTNERSHIP..!

Now that would be good!

TowerHibs
01-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I've heard that Michael o'neill has resigned at Shamrock and will be named hibs gaffer on Monday

Source is a player at another SPL club

Benny Brazil
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I've heard that Michael o'neill has resigned at Shamrock and will be named hibs gaffer on Monday

Who knows all about the goings on in the Hibs boardroom??
Rod will be furious:rolleyes:

EasterRoad4Ever
01-07-2011, 11:08 AM

That would be No 4 or 5 on Petrie's orginal candidate list of 2007. If he wasn't good enough for the job then (but some distance) what's changed ?

Would most definitely smack of yet another undemanding, unambitious, subserviant, YES MAN and puppet to Petrie.

IMHO the ONLY way we are going to break out of the cycle of malaise and revolving managers is to have a change at the top, and that starts with Petrie. Surely he has had to have a look at his abysmal record of appointing underperforming managers and think "maybe I'm just crap at this" and step aside. Or is it his outstanding record with abysmal managers ? :wink:

harpo
01-07-2011, 11:28 AM
]QUOTE=Stevie Reid;2846474]Given that Naismith signed for Rangers for £1.9M, that question answers itself. Incidentally, I didn't use the word deluded in any of my posts.

I haven't ignored the points in your previous post, I addressed them directly - you stated that with "my outlook for Hibernian" we wouldn't have achieved some of the great things the club has achieved, which isn't true. Ironically it seems that you didn't read my previous posts as your reply is about how I have little no ambitions for Hibs, which simply isn't true and was never what I have stated at any point throughout this thread.

You want evidence of where you implied that you were a more worthy Hibs supporter than me, just read your whole post again - though your statement that my (fabricated) lack of ambition for Hibs is "in your mind simply not good enough for your beloved Hibernian" is a particular highlight.[/QUOTE]

Given we had just received £4.4m for Scott Brown alone,then no, that doesn't answer my question.

I feel we wouldn't have the poor standards we have at ER just now, if we had backed John Collins and his ambitions for Hibernian.

You have chosen to ignore the points I made about Stein, Best, Sauzee and latapy which clearly shows the ambition Hibernian have had in the past. You also ignored my points about Harry Swan and Tom Hart in the fact that they knew no limits as to where they wanted Hibernian to be, yet people are aggressive in their comments to me because I mentioned someone like Gus Poyet.

Stevie Reid
01-07-2011, 11:44 AM
]QUOTE=Stevie Reid;2846474]Given that Naismith signed for Rangers for £1.9M, that question answers itself. Incidentally, I didn't use the word deluded in any of my posts.[/B]

You want evidence of where you implied that you were a more worthy Hibs supporter than me, just read your whole post again - though your statement that my (fabricated) lack of ambition for Hibs is "in your mind simply not good enough for your beloved Hibernian" is a particular highlight.

Given we had just received £4.4m for Scott Brown alone,then no, that doesn't answer my question.

I feel we wouldn't have the poor standards we have at ER just now, if we had backed John Collins and his ambitions for Hibernian.

You have chosen to ignore the points I made about Stein, Best, Sauzee and latapy which clearly shows the ambition Hibernian have had in the past. You also ignored my points about Harry Swan and Tom Hart in the fact that they knew no limits as to where they wanted Hibernian to be, yet people are aggressive in their comments to me because I mentioned someone like Gus Poyet.

Of course it answers your question - even if Hibs were to somehow offer £1.9M for Naismith (and match the wages on offer at Ibrox), do you seriously think he would've chosen us instead of Rangers?

I ignored the points about Stein, Best and Sauzee & Latapy as they have no bearing on your statement that the board would be remiss not to enquire about Poyet. Whilst there is obviously a certain level of ambition in the acquisition of those you named, the key difference is that all of them were available and/or wanted to come to Hibs - Poyet is the exact opposite, he is very much unavailable and wouldn't have the slightest interest in coming to Hibs.

Your points about Swan and Hart are irrelevant, football is completely different now to what it was then, as is Hibs' strength and status as a football club in the context of Scottish football. We now have an owner who wants the club run the way Petrie is doing it - we still have considerable ambitions, but there are very obvious limits on the expenditure that will be permitted in trying to achieve them.

In conclusion, I have the same lofty ambitions for Hibs as you do, I just happen to know when someone is a completely outwith our reach.

JohnScott
01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
FFS our manager is leaving to become a number two in the championship so why would he leave a managers post to come to the back water of the SPL. Some of the names being touted are laughable. Get real guys Hibs are a middle of league SPL team who sometimes finish 3/4. The SPL is not rated in England so no up coming manager is going to leave the the championship to come here

Yeah your right the SPL is total pish so lets roll over and die you effing depressing git! I said Calderwood would be gone within 2 years and I'm right. So we'll go out and get another relatively inexperienced manager and good or bad, he'll be gone within 2 years. That's the real joke at the moment at Hibs, not the fans daring to look for someone experienced or high profile. You've got a right cheek using the word "laughable" to describe some of the fans choices as I doubt if you've had a good laugh ever. I bet you come back with "your the joke" or some other pathetic response. CRYING OUT LOUD LETS SHOW SOME AMBITION!

Hibee Daz
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Who is the player?

Speedway
01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Looking more and more like Michael O'Neill but no word on him resigning yet.

JimBHibees
01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
You can be sure Rod wont be wanting any news of Hibs having lined up a replacement if he is trying to screw an extra 50p from Brum or Forest.

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 12:53 PM
1. Who would actually want the job at Hibs?
2. Who would be accepted by the majority of the fans?
3. Who would be good enough for us but not good enough for anyone else?
4. Who would come to Hibs and never think of leaving us for a better offer?

Anyone think of ONE name that answers all of those questions?

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Not one name? Interesting.

Cropley10
01-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Another nail in Petrie's coffin, if true.

A pub league manager who wouldn't have a chance of even being quoted if he'd played for Hearts.

It's like Groundhog Day.

Cropley10
01-07-2011, 03:03 PM

With the amount of variables you put in there the answer is none, there isn't a name.

Which you then answer in your own reply to this post. Strange.

Elephant Stone
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM

If you want the first three criteria satisfied then the 4th is never really going to happen. If we're to get a good manager he will no doubt aspire to bigger things, which isn't a massive problem if he hangs around for a while. No decent manager is really going to want to stay at Hibs the rest of his career.

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
With the amount of variables you put in there the answer is none, there isn't a name.

I missed out the question mark but I think you understood my point just fine.

In case you didn't though.

The point is CC is being hounded out because he has the audacity to consider options that might be better for him. IMO, most / all managerial candidates that would be of Hibs Class would do the exact same thing. The difference is they might choose their words better at a press conference. So if we're going to hound out CC, let's get started on the next guy too because you can be sure that if a better opportunity comes along, he'll be off as well.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
If you want the first three criteria satisfied then the 4th is never really going to happen. If we're to get a good manager he will no doubt aspire to bigger things, which isn't a massive problem if he hangs around for a while. No decent manager is really going to want to stay at Hibs the rest of his career.

You'd have thought that was the case, yet here we have apparently 2 clubs battling over a manager who's been average to poor all through his managerial career. Even the crap ones are in demand at Hibs, we even got payed for Blobby leaving.:confused::confused::confused:

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Thank you for getting my point. We're too damned picky and have ideas well above our station I think.

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 03:12 PM
You'd have thought that was the case, yet here we have apparently 2 clubs battling over a manager who's been average to poor all through his managerial career. Even the crap ones are in demand at Hibs, we even got payed for Blobby leaving.:confused::confused::confused:

Really? No promotions or anything like that then?

heretoday
01-07-2011, 03:12 PM
In olden days Tom Hart would pull a rabbit out of the hat and announce that Kevin Keegan or Gordon Strachan was the new Hibs boss and that Patrick Viera was to play on a game-by-game basis.

I always fantasise when I'm depressed.

Cropley10
01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I missed out the question mark but I think you understood my point just fine.

In case you didn't though.

The point is CC is being hounded out because he has the audacity to consider options that might be better for him. IMO, most / all managerial candidates that would be of Hibs Class would do the exact same thing. The difference is they might choose their words better at a press conference. So if we're going to hound out CC, let's get started on the next guy too because you can be sure that if a better opportunity comes along, he'll be off as well.

Nobody is hounding anyone. Calderwood wants to leave and not because of anything that's written on here that's for certain.

He's well paid at Hibs, far, far better paid than he was NUFC. He wants to leave Hibs not for an opportunity but to get away from a job he doesn't enjoy doing.

I'm sure you get my point.

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Nobody is hounding anyone. Calderwood wants to leave and not because of anything that's written on here that's for certain.

I am talking about what is happening on these message boards. If you don't classify the posts of some as "hounding out" then we have a different understanding of that that means. I'm not talking about staging rallies, sending hate mail to Hibs, etc. I'm talking about within the four virtual wall of .net.

He's well paid at Hibs, far, far better paid than he was NUFC. He wants to leave Hibs not for an opportunity but to get away from a job he doesn't enjoy doing.
Source?

I'm sure you get my point.
I wouldn't be.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Really? No promotions or anything like that then?

You know he has, we all know he has. How long did it take him to get northampton up? 3 times, then twice with Forrest, a huge club in league 1. As i said an average to poor manager.

EasterRoad4Ever
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Strachan measures up, if he feels that he has done all he wants at the upper level of football management ?

Cropley10
01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I am talking about what is happening on these message boards. If you don't classify the posts of some as "hounding out" then we have a different understanding of that that means. I'm not talking about staging rallies, sending hate mail to Hibs, etc. I'm talking about within the four virtual wall of .net.

Source?

I wouldn't be.

Oh yes a few people with too much time on their hands are expending too much energy telling him to go via a message board. If that's your definition of 'hounding' crack on.

Im not revealing any sources, no-one does. But the money side a friend and ex team-mate of CC, the leaving part a recognised journalist who works beside a very good friend of mine. :aok:

Cropley10
01-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Strachan measures up, if he feels that he has done all he wants at the upper level of football management ?

I'd love us to have WGS in charge. But I think a lot of folk don't like his post-match interviews and wouldn't want him, so that rules him out I think. :wink:

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 03:36 PM
You know he has, we all know he has. How long did it take him to get northampton up? 3 times, then twice with Forrest, a huge club in league 1. As i said an average to poor manager.

I have to disagree because average / poor managers don't get their team promoted at all IMO.

Consider 4 leagues with 20 teams i.e. 80 teams. Teams can only be promoted from 3 of those leagues. Let's say 3 teams a year are promoted i.e., 9 teams. Every year 9 managers achieve promotion, out of 80. That puts them in the top 11.25% of managers. Not exactly what I would call average or poor.

EDIT : on further thought, it's impossible for promotion to be in the remit of an average manager, otherwise most average teams would be getting promoted and that clearly doesn't happen.

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 03:38 PM

A lot of people would like Strachan but some fear he would use us a stepping stone to get back into the game and be off if a good offer came in. I don't know if that is true or not but IF it was true, he would not pass all the requirements.

heretoday
01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
For what it's worth, Strachan's record as a manager in Scotland is first-class. The media thing is a problem but I wouldn't mind if he was galvanising Hibs.

Won't happen.

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh yes a few people with too much time on their hands are expending too much energy telling him to go via a message board. If that's your definition of 'hounding' crack on.

We can argue over semantics all day long. The fact remains, there are plenty of people on here who want him out. Was that worded more favourably for you?

Im not revealing any sources, no-one does. But the money side a friend and ex team-mate of CC, the leaving part a recognised journalist who works beside a very good friend of mine. :aok:

So without revealing your source, which I didn't expect you to do, you're telling me that you know for a fact that CC is unhappy working at Hibs?

Cropley10
01-07-2011, 04:16 PM
We can argue over semantics all day long. The fact remains, there are plenty of people on here who want him out. Was that worded more favourably for you?

So without revealing your source, which I didn't expect you to do, you're telling me that you know for a fact that CC is unhappy working at Hibs?

I know the last part for a fact, yes.

HibsMax
01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
I know the last part for a fact, yes.

Interesting. Do you know why? Do you think that when this is all done and dusted it will ever become public?

Hibiza
01-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Sean O'Driscoll. Doncster Rovers.

edwards
01-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Would like to see Strachan at Er but can't see that happening. surely the only choice is Terry Butcher would probably take the job without question.
Just give him a call Rod. :aok:

LancashireHibby
01-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Would like to see Strachan at Er but can't see that happening. surely the only choice is Terry Butcher would probably take the job without question.
Just give him a call Rod. :aok:

Thanks for your input, Terry :wink:

spike220
02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Oh yes!!!!!

Yes, yes, yes!

Did I say yes....

GGTTH

delbert
02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Sorry for mixing my metaphors here, but we have a club here which not only needs a huge shot in the arm, but also a good kick up the arse from top to bottom, and I have to say thats why I would love to see Strachan take over, the place would have a buzz about it, and I think that appointment would do wonders for morale at Easter Road. There is a general malaise about the whole place just now, have you ever seen so many threads or comments before on here with life long supporters saying they can't be arsed, or just have'nt bothered renewing for the coming season?

I see the threads about O'Neill and Bollan plus a few others, have they really been tested anywhere significant, do either of these guys remotely get anybody excited, not me I'm afraid, although if one of them comes in, they will have my full backing. However, we have a club which at the moment appears to be a rudderless ship, and the one thing I do know is that Calderwood has lost all credibility and respect over the last week as far as I am concerned, I will be at Berwick today and if he is in the dugout I will be bitterly disappointed, he has no repect for the club or anyone else as far as I am concerned and he should be punted if he does'nt have the dignity to do the right thing and walk, because hanging around taking wages at Easter Road whilst waiting to see which English club will pay most for him just is'nt on. Somebody mentioned Tom Hart in an earlier thread, he might have been as mad as a box of frogs, but if a manager had treated Hibs like this, not only would Hart have sacked him,, he would have thrown him down the stairs and out on his arse personally!

leadership is what is required at Easter Road this season, and you need a big personality with proven managerial qualities to do that, Strachan for me at this moment, fingers crossed - GGTTH

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
In terms of European football, the only two managers who cannot honestly say that they wouldn't interested in another job are the men employed by Man Utd and Barca. Manager's nowadays need to be media savvy and play the off-field game as well as the on-field game. For all the hoo-hah about fans pushing CC out of the club, it was him that announced that it might not take too much of a push.

moredun
02-07-2011, 10:09 AM

I despair, i really do

HibsMax
02-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I despair, i really do

Pity you've gone because I would love to know why you're despairing. I guess some people just don't like tough questions, but that's no reason to actually ask them in the first place.

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Pity you've gone because I would love to know why you're despairing. I guess some people just don't like tough questions, but that's no reason to actually ask them in the first place.

I'd imagine he was despairing at the questions? There are no managers out there who fit that list, but when we do get one, we should be demanding 100% commitment, and as much as you like to play devils advocate, thats clearly not the case.

HibsMax
02-07-2011, 02:31 PM
I'd imagine he was despairing at the questions? There are no managers out there who fit that list, but when we do get one, we should be demanding 100% commitment, and as much as you like to play devils advocate, thats clearly not the case.

Exactly my point. But it would seem that is exactly the list of requirements that some fans are looking for.

As for 100% commitment, I don't doubt that he is being pulled in many different directions. Doesn't mean he's not still doing the best job he can until he inevitable leaves.

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Exactly my point. But it would seem that is exactly the list of requirements that some fans are looking for.

As for 100% commitment, I don't doubt that he is being pulled in many different directions. Doesn't mean he's not still doing the best job he can until he inevitable leaves.

And thats my point, he maybe doing the best job he can, but his best is not Hibs best by any means.

HibsMax
02-07-2011, 02:44 PM
And thats my point, he maybe doing the best job he can, but his best is not Hibs best by any means.

There is no doubt that this whole shambles will be affecting the team. My biggest concern is the impact it has on us being able to make more additions. We need a manager more than NF or BC needs an assistant so, as was said somewhere else, they can afford to take their time and I have no doubt they will try to use that against Hibs (to pay less compensation). But we have one thing in our favour, there are two teams interested in him so they can't play around too much, not if the REALLY want him. I'm not sure how much money RP is waiting on. Maybe he will reject any offer? Dunno. There has to be a line in the sand where we pounce. It would make no sense to me if this was to drag on for a month only for us to get 25 grand more, there has to be a big prize at the end of the wait. We all want this over and done with as quickly as possible but if we do manage to screw a few hundred grand out of one of these teams, and if that money is used to get either higher profile manager or new player, then I think the damage being done now can be reversed. But time is against us.

CapitalHibs
02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
There is no doubt that this whole shambles will be affecting the team. My biggest concern is the impact it has on us being able to make more additions. We need a manager more than NF or BC needs an assistant so, as was said somewhere else, they can afford to take their time and I have no doubt they will try to use that against Hibs (to pay less compensation). But we have one thing in our favour, there are two teams interested in him so they can't play around too much, not if the REALLY want him. I'm not sure how much money RP is waiting on. Maybe he will reject any offer? Dunno. There has to be a line in the sand where we pounce. It would make no sense to me if this was to drag on for a month only for us to get 25 grand more, there has to be a big prize at the end of the wait. We all want this over and done with as quickly as possible but if we do manage to screw a few hundred grand out of one of these teams, and if that money is used to get either higher profile manager or new player, then I think the damage being done now can be reversed. But time is against us.

Can't think of any precedent scenario happening in football, but I don't think it means that any damage will be terminal or lead to automatic relegation. This situation has to resolve sooner than later and I would be extremely surprised if Petrie had not lined up a couple of options. and made a lot of preparation for any outcome, behind the scenes. We've made three great signings and yes, we definetly need a few more but I'm still feeling very positive about the season ahead.

weecounty hibby
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Can't be bothered reading the whole thread but in reply to the OPs question I wouldtake Strachan in a heartbeat. We all hated him at Celtic for the way he answered questions etc. But I'm sure we would love him if he was the boss at ER. Takes no **** and is a winner, something we have sadly lacked at the helm for a number of years. He hates to lose and was part of winning sides everywhere he played and managed. If he was interested he is the standout candidate.

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Can't think of any precedent scenario happening in football, but I don't think it means that any damage will be terminal or lead to automatic relegation. This situation has to resolve sooner than later and I would be extremely surprised if Petrie had not lined up a couple of options. and made a lot of preparation for any outcome, behind the scenes. We've made three great signings and yes, we definetly need a few more but I'm still feeling very positive about the season ahead.

Very much a premature prediction imo. Garry could be a very good addition, if he's over his injuries and off field troubles. Sproule again could be good, was never the best when younger, but did get us off our feet at times. and O'Hanlon i'd guess under 1% of us have actually seen him play?

The squad imo is very week just now, and any delay in getting players could be giving us a huge problem in recruiting the right players?

CapitalHibs
02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Can't be bothered reading the whole thread but in reply to the OPs question I wouldtake Strachan in a heartbeat. We all hated him at Celtic for the way he answered questions etc. But I'm sure we would love him if he was the boss at ER. Takes no **** and is a winner, something we have sadly lacked at the helm for a number of years. He hates to lose and was part of winning sides everywhere he played and managed. If he was interested he is the standout candidate.

Well, for what it's worth - (no source/private conversation)- although it was a good few years ago - I can confirm that the words or similar - I'd love to manage Hibs at some point - were spoken about when asked, at that time:aok: