PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Who's Next (If CC Goes)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

CapitalHibs
02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Very much a premature prediction imo. Garry could be a very good addition, if he's over his injuries and off field troubles. Sproule again could be good, was never the best when younger, but did get us off our feet at times. and O'Hanlon i'd guess under 1% of us have actually seen him play?

The squad imo is very week just now, and any delay in getting players could be giving us a huge problem in recruiting the right players?

So, do you think the jambos have done better, for instance?

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
So, do you think the jambos have done better, for instance?

Better, not sure. They have brought to their club recent proven players, who have been doing well recently. To be honest i'm not concerned about them, just what we do?

I Love Lamp
02-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Personally, I'd prefer one of the SPL 'usual suspects' (Jimmy Caldwerwood, Butcher, Billy Reid) because, uninspiring as they may be, they probably stand the best chance of providing stability for a few years as opposed to another gamble who we could end up having to mutually consent and pay compo to within eighteen months. Nobody can be sure that we might not have had to do that in Calderwood's case, had the current farce not happened.

To me, Michael O'Neill would be another similar gamble. That said, if the job becomes vacant and he gets it, he should be given every goodwill and support from all the fans.

Beefster
03-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Personally, I'd prefer one of the SPL 'usual suspects' (Jimmy Caldwerwood, Butcher, Billy Reid) because, uninspiring as they may be, they probably stand the best chance of providing stability for a few years as opposed to another gamble who we could end up having to mutually consent and pay compo to within eighteen months. Nobody can be sure that we might not have had to do that in Calderwood's case, had the current farce not happened.

To me, Michael O'Neill would be another similar gamble. That said, if the job becomes vacant and he gets it, he should be given every goodwill and support from all the fans.

Hughes and Williamson were our most recent appointments from within the SPL 'usual suspects'. I think that I'd lose all interest if we appointed another manager like that. Jimmy Calderwood or Billy Reid in particular would kill me.

I agree about O'Neill though. If he's appointed then the Board are seemingly incapable of changing their thinking.

YehButNoBut
03-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Scotsman seem to be indicating that the next man should be O'Neill on page 2 of this article.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His next step ought to be a call to Dublin.

Michael O'Neill, left, has often been touted as a future SPL manager, given the fact he did so well in his spell at Brechin, not to mention at Shamrock Rovers where he's been for the last few years. O'Neill has done superbly at Rovers, winning the league title last season and taking them to the FAI Cup final where they were beaten only on penalties. He has assembled a fine squad that play nice football.

A year ago, Rovers played Juventus in the Europa League. They lost the tie 3-0 on aggregate but the score masks some of the great stuff they produced in those games. Indeed, in Italy, they only lost 1-0 to a sensational free-kick from Alessandro Del Piero. There is no doubting O'Neill's ability as a manager. What there is, at present, is an uncertainty as to whether he wants to remain at Rovers for much longer.

His refusal thus far to sign a new contract is causing some friction among the fans in Tallaght. That, and the fact that his assistant manager has just walked out after his relationship with O'Neill took a wrong turn. On top of that there is a racism allegation hanging over a Rovers player and a cooling in the one-time hero-worship O'Neill enjoyed from the supporters. They feel that Rovers are by far and away the most talented side in the League of Ireland and are not taking too kindly to them being in second place in the league, albeit only two points behind St Patrick's Athletic with fully 16 games left in the season.

Once this charade with Calderwood has reached its conclusion then Petrie could do a lot worse than make O'Neill an offer. The quicker there's an end to the Calderwood era - if eight months can possibly constitute an era - then so much the better. Clearly, psychologically if not yet physically, he has moved on from Easter Road. When he leaves for good you'd hope that he would do so rather sheepishly.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Tom-English-39When-Colin-Calderwood.6795048.jp?articlepage=1

Prawn Sandwich
03-07-2011, 06:32 AM

Tom English in the Scotland on Sunday today. Particular interesting reading about Michael O'Neill. Who cares about CC now anyway?
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39When-Colin-Calderwood.6795048.jp

The Falcon
03-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Hughes and Williamson were our most recent appointments from within the SPL 'usual suspects'. I think that I'd lose all interest if we appointed another manager like that. Jimmy Calderwood or Billy Reid in particular would kill me.

I agree about O'Neill though. If he's appointed then the Board are seemingly incapable of changing their thinking.

Tangoman's record at Aberdeen was quite good. Certainly far superior to that of his successors. Would he inspire me then no. Would we be safe with him then probably.

I dont know what sort of appointment would indicate a "change of thinking". Strachan maybe? Even if he would come to Hibs, and even if he took a huge wage cut to do so, I think his relationship with all and sundry would be fractious to say the least, particularly with the fans when the expectations are heaped upon him. Plus he would need money and his wage, even at half what Celtic or Boro paid him, would swallow about 15% of our total income. And then is his record outside Celtic actually any good?

So who would indicate a change of thinking? Nevio Scala?

Beefster
03-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Tangoman's record at Aberdeen was quite good. Certainly far superior to that of his successors. Would he inspire me then no. Would we be safe with him then probably.

I dont know what sort of appointment would indicate a "change of thinking". Strachan maybe? Even if he would come to Hibs, and even if he took a huge wage cut to do so, I think his relationship with all and sundry would be fractious to say the least, particularly with the fans when the expectations are heaped upon him. Plus he would need money and his wage, even at half what Celtic or Boro paid him, would swallow about 15% of our total income. And then is his record outside Celtic actually any good?

Any one with experience way beyond the normal candidates that we consider and the personality to control the footballing side of the club. We'd also need to give him the resources and power to run things the way that he wants - as long as he is meeting realistic performance targets.

It may cost them a wee bit more than they'd normally pay for a manager and it may mean that they have to concede a wee bit more control than they are used to and comfortable with. Something needs to change though and we've tried changing the manager often enough so need to look at the other factors now.

Cropley10
03-07-2011, 07:06 AM

Strachan would definitely indicate a change of thinking. He's said he'd love to be Hibs manager 'one day', must be independently wealthy enough to understand our wage limitations and the fact he won't have bundles of cash to spend on players.

As for fractious relationships? What because he can be a bit of smart-erse in pressers? :rolleyes:

Anyway it won't happen due to his age and the fact that he'd need to exercise far greater control over the football team than would be available to him at ER/EM.

The Falcon
03-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Any one with experience way beyond the normal candidates that we consider and the personality to control the footballing side of the club. We'd also need to give him the resources and power to run things the way that he wants - as long as he is meeting realistic performance targets.

It may cost them a wee bit more than they'd normally pay for a manager and it may mean that they have to concede a wee bit more control than they are used to and comfortable with. Something needs to change though and we've tried changing the manager often enough so need to look at the other factors now.

Do you have a name in mind that would give an idea what direction, and what type of person, you think we should be taking? Foreign or domestic?

This particular manager has been tapped up and appears to be sought after by two clubs, incredible as that may seem, that can offer more of everything than Hibs. That, to me, is the underlying issue and I dont see how it can be changed i that we are now operating in a very different market than we ever have, a market in which Rangers and Celtic are less attractive, and have less spending power, than mediocre English teams. That reality does note bode well for Hibs.

If he next guy does well the same thing will happen although it would appear they dont even have to do well now!

Cropley10
03-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Do you have a name in mind that would give an idea what direction, and what type of person, you think we should be taking? Foreign or domestic?

This particular manager has been tapped up and appears to be sought after by two clubs, incredible as that may seem, that can offer more of everything than Hibs. That, to me, is the underlying issue and I dont see how it can be changed i that we are now operating in a very different market than we ever have, a market in which Rangers and Celtic are less attractive, and have less spending bower, than mediocre English teams. That reality does note bode well for Hibs.

If he next guy does well the same thing will happen although it would appear they dont even have to do well now!

Or maybe Caldo wants to be an ex-employee of Hibs because he'd rather move on than stay. Neither job is a step up and I understand he is well paid by us.

The Falcon
03-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Strachan would definitely indicate a change of thinking. He's said he'd love to be Hibs manager 'one day', must be independently wealthy enough to understand our wage limitations and the fact he won't have bundles of cash to spend on players.

As for fractious relationships? What because he can be a bit of smart-erse in pressers? :rolleyes:

Anyway it won't happen due to his age and the fact that he'd need to exercise far greater control over the football team than would be available to him at ER/EM.

Just in press conferences? The guy can be a smart arse in any company. I dont personally have a problem with that but I suspect a large portion of our support will, particularly when they are telling him where he went wrong in his latest defeat.

What is this "greater control" over the football team? Someone else does the negotiating but thats not uncommon. Celtic certainly operate a very similar system to Hibs in that respect although he will be working with a lot less quality and will have far more defeats than he did there. That would be the test. IMO of course.

Who do you think would be a good appointment? Assuming CC is gone of course and I know you're not really a fan of Michael O'Neil.

The Falcon
03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Or maybe Caldo wants to be an ex-employee of Hibs because he'd rather move on than stay. Neither job is a step up and I understand he is well paid by us.

No argument from me on that one, it looks like he wants to go although it's more about what he's not said than what he has said. He knows why he wants to go but I thought he was widely regarded as the "cheap option" when he signed? Is that not the case?

Cropley10
03-07-2011, 07:28 AM
No argument from me on that one, it looks like he wants to go although it's more about what he's not said than what he has said. He knows why he wants to go but I thought he was widely regarded as the "cheap option" when he signed? Is that not the case?

Cheap option? Well we paid comp to get him and then apparent have also paid him well too. Will he tell all about his day-to-day in the role, I don't know but I doubt it.

Cropley10
03-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Just in press conferences? The guy can be a smart arse in any company. I dont personally have a problem with that but I suspect a large portion of our support will, particularly when they are telling him where he went wrong in his latest defeat.

What is this "greater control" over the football team? Someone else does the negotiating but thats not uncommon. Celtic certainly operate a very similar system to Hibs in that respect although he will be working with a lot less quality and will have far more defeats than he did there. That would be the test. IMO of course.

Who do you think would be a good appointment? Assuming CC is gone of course and I know you're not really a fan of Michael O'Neil.

I've not met him so can't comment on him personally. I think a larger section of our support would like to see him try.

As for control - discipline, hierarchy, who's in charge that sort of thing, the contract negotiations needn't be his duty. But if he didn't want to wear a black suit, white shirt and club tie, but preferred a track suit on match days.

Beefster
03-07-2011, 07:35 AM

This particular manager has been tapped up and appears to be sought after by two clubs, incredible as that may seem, that can offer more of everything than Hibs. That, to me, is the underlying issue and I dont see how it can be changed i that we are now operating in a very different market than we ever have, a market in which Rangers and Celtic are less attractive, and have less spending power, than mediocre English teams. That reality does note bode well for Hibs.

I hate this 'give us a name' argument. I think I've detailed, in fair detail recently, the direction that I think the footballing side of the club should be taking though.

However, nope, I haven't carried out or appointed someone to carry out an extensive recruitment selection process. I'm fairly sure that's what the Board does (and part of the reason why they are paid so well).

I am available to carry the process out though. Paid of course.

The Falcon
03-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Cheap option? Well we paid comp to get him and then apparent have also paid him well too. Will he tell all about his day-to-day in the role, I don't know but I doubt it.

It may well be there's nothing to tell other than this leagues crap and he didnt realise how crap it was until he came here. He is popular with the players (other than John Rankin) and they seem to enjoy the training which is not always the case. He has not criticised the club or it's structure in any way and, contrary to some folks opinion, he is not a "yes" man.

I feel sure we will speculate and reach polar opposite conclusions as we usually do :greengrin

The Falcon
03-07-2011, 07:40 AM
I hate this 'give us a name' argument. I think I've detailed, in fair detail recently, the direction that I think the footballing side of the club should be taking though.

However, nope, I haven't carried out or appointed someone to carry out an extensive recruitment selection process. I'm fairly sure that's what the Board does (and part of the reason why they are paid so well).

I am available to carry the process out though. Paid of course.

You have said this and I wasnt having a pop, seriously. I am just trying to get an idea the type of person you think we should be going for. Clearly not Michael O'Neil.

Cropley10
03-07-2011, 07:48 AM
It may well be there's nothing to tell other than this leagues crap and he didnt realise how crap it was until he came here. He is popular with the players (other than John Rankin) and they seem to enjoy the training which is not always the case. He has not criticised the club or it's structure in any way and, contrary to some folks opinion, he is not a "yes" man.

I feel sure we will speculate and reach polar opposite conclusions as we usually do :greengrin

Completely agree on that last sentence :agree: :greengrin:

Beefster
03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
You have said this and I wasnt having a pop, seriously. I am just trying to get an idea the type of person you think we should be going for. Clearly not Michael O'Neil.

I fear O'Neill is another Mixu in the making. As has been suggested elsewhere, I don't even think he'd be mentioned as a contender if he wasn't an ex-player.

Kaiser1962
03-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I fear O'Neill is another Mixu in the making. As has been suggested elsewhere, I don't even think he'd be mentioned as a contender if he wasn't an ex-player.

Thats probably my fear but he appears to have done well in Ireland and only lost 3-0 on aggregate to Juventus, according to Tom English anyway, so I would imagine he knows how to set up a team.

Its not an exact science as Mowbray at Celtic, amongst others, has proven.

smurf
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I really hope its not Michael...

We need an experienced guy. Would love that wee rascal Strachan but if we can't tempt him a Sturrock or Butcher...

LancashireHibby
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
As for control - discipline, hierarchy, who's in charge that sort of thing

Only one man springs to mind when reading that phrase!

I Love Lamp
03-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe Reid/Jimmy Calderwood aren't the best examples, though I would argue both might be worth consideration, my point is that the next appointment must be about stability. Strachan/O'Neill (the former, while a top boss, does not know what it's like to be managing AGAINST the OF) are gambles who, in my view, are not necessarily best placed to provide that.

Williamson provided that kind of stability and, while inspiring no-one, probs had more to do with laying the groundwork for the subsequent relative success than anyone would like to admit. To be honest, if his personality wasn't so rank, I think people would remember him more fondly. STABILITY should be the word on everyone's lips.

eastmainsmsh
03-07-2011, 12:45 PM
It is a catch 22 ...with petrie and boards budget even Jose Mourinho couldnt improve things imo ....since Mowbrays departure every manager has had his hands tied ..Yogis start was impressive then the sudden fall ?? was it boardroom interfence?? ....Players unhappy ??? ...If CC goes then the next manager needs backing big time ....Its great having a great stadium ...Top drawer training complex but we need a Board backing the Manager who can build a team to produce on the park :flag:

HibsMax
03-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I hate this 'give us a name' argument.

It's a valid question though. If nobody can come with an answer, or if we can't collectively agree on one name, then that just shows how insanely difficult appointing a manager is.

Beefster
03-07-2011, 02:27 PM
It's a valid question though. If nobody can come with an answer, or if we can't collectively agree on one name, then that just shows how insanely difficult appointing a manager is.

As I said elsewhere though, the club have the resources and contacts to do the job properly. We don't. The club just haven't used them since Mowbray IMO.

Petrie's Tache
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I really hope its not Michael...

We need an experienced guy. Would love that wee rascal Strachan but if we can't tempt him a Sturrock or Butcher...

Luggy would not be a bad shout, as he done well with Southend last year considering they only had one signed player when he took over.

Hibiza
03-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Sean O'Driscoll (Doncaster Rovers).

RickyS
03-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Sean O'Driscoll (Doncaster Rovers).

would he leave Rovers for the Hibs job? i don't think he would

The Falcon
03-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Maybe Reid/Jimmy Calderwood aren't the best examples, though I would argue both might be worth consideration, my point is that the next appointment must be about stability. Strachan/O'Neill (the former, while a top boss, does not know what it's like to be managing AGAINST the OF) are gambles who, in my view, are not necessarily best placed to provide that.

Williamson provided that kind of stability and, while inspiring no-one, probs had more to do with laying the groundwork for the subsequent relative success than anyone would like to admit. To be honest, if his personality wasn't so rank, I think people would remember him more fondly. STABILITY should be the word on everyone's lips.

Spot on.

scoopyboy
03-07-2011, 04:17 PM
It is a catch 22 ...with petrie and boards budget even Jose Mourinho couldnt improve things imo ....since Mowbrays departure every manager has had his hands tied ..Yogis start was impressive then the sudden fall ?? was it boardroom interfence?? ....Players unhappy ??? ...If CC goes then the next manager needs backing big time ....Its great having a great stadium ...Top drawer training complex but we need a Board backing the Manager who can build a team to produce on the park :flag:

so with probably the fourth highest budget in the SPL you don't think a great manager could do better than tenth?

Sorry but I think that is nonsense.

HibsMax
03-07-2011, 04:30 PM
As I said elsewhere though, the club have the resources and contacts to do the job properly. We don't. The club just haven't used them since Mowbray IMO.

Agreed but you can't find something that is not there to begin with. Maybe we're setting out sights too high?

GreenCastle
03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
So will the new manager bring in his own assistant also as CC never brought one in correct ?

HibsMax
03-07-2011, 04:41 PM
So will the new manager bring in his own assistant also as CC never brought one in correct ?

Maybe CC wants to be the assistant once we get relegated next season? It's like he's playing Snakes and Ladders but the board is upside down.

GreenCastle
03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Butcher, McInnes or Michael O'Neill - I think would all do a decent job :agree:

Ernie Cobra
03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
It IS without doubt Michael Oneill. Wonder if he'll bring Twiggy with him

Dibben
03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
It IS without doubt Michael Oneill. Wonder if he'll bring Twiggy with him

I have my doubts... especially as CC is still here! :confused:

Ah well, he's bound to leave tomorrow, as those in the know have been saying its happening for the last 10 days...

:devil:

Speedway
03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Perhaps we could keep CC by offering him the chance to be assistant to himself at Hibs?

eastmainsmsh
03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
so with probably the fourth highest budget in the SPL you don't think a great manager could do better than tenth?

Sorry but I think that is nonsense.

My post was just way im feeling about things at moment pissed off ...bit ott hands up ...its all well being a great manager but with regards to constant changes in management and players moving its no wonder we were tenth last year stabillity needed as you say scoopy we have prob fourth highest budget but can we get someone to use it and produce :confused:

scoopyboy
03-07-2011, 06:21 PM
My post was just way im feeling about things at moment pissed off ...bit ott hands up ...its all well being a great manager but with regards to constant changes in management and players moving its no wonder we were tenth last year stabillity needed as you say scoopy we have prob fourth highest budget but can we get someone to use it and produce :confused:

I share your frustration, probably why I replied to be honest.

I'm not sure who I blame anymore, I don't know what is for the best either.

I feel CC is past the point of no return, at first I wanted him to stay but the way things have panned out in the last week I feel he has to go. Even if he was to stay I'm sure me and the vast majority of us would simply feel it would only be until the next offer cropped up. There is a bit of me feels sympathy for him however as I do feel it is family orientated, there is another bit of me would have liked to see how far he could have taken us.

Petrie / Board I am also unsure about. I think they realise what is going on and a manager I'm sure is being lined up behind the scenes. Petrie will be trying to get as much compo as poss. I feel we need stability and it is essential for us to improve as a club but how long do you give a manager if he is gash, he might never get it right. Five in five years could easily become 6 in 6.

I generally know what I want but at the moment I can't really say I do.

Ernie Cobra
03-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I have my doubts... especially as CC is still here! :confused:

Ah well, he's bound to leave tomorrow, as those in the know have been saying its happening for the last 10 days...

:devil:

I know i know, all the goss on here for the last week or so is doing my nut in, but, He has bumped his assistant (who is going back when Oneill leaves, confirmed by shamrock rvs board) He stalled his contract around 3 weeks ago (having been contacted by Hibs, any extension to his contract would have meant a bigger payoff, and we know how we love spending money)

Anyway a mate of mine works for Shamrock and that is the news from there, what we really need is a statement from Someone within Hibs, perhaps Tam could take a break from ironing the strips and issue a statement.

GreenCastle
03-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I know i know, all the goss on here for the last week or so is doing my nut in, but, He has bumped his assistant (who is going back when Oneill leaves, confirmed by shamrock rvs board) He stalled his contract around 3 weeks ago (having been contacted by Hibs, any extension to his contract would have meant a bigger payoff, and we know how we love spending money)

Anyway a mate of mine works for Shamrock and that is the news from there, what we really need is a statement from Someone within Hibs, perhaps Tam could take a break from ironing the strips and issue a statement.

If MON does manage Hibs do you think he will do a god job ?

I think he seems like he would be around for a few seasons - something which we need :agree:

Ernie Cobra
03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
If MON does manage Hibs do you think he will do a god job ?

I think he seems like he would be around for a few seasons - something which we need :agree:

I think he would, hes a very organised and determined type of bloke, would really love to see an older head come in with him, a bit of a disciplinarian is what is needed to sort the dressing room. MON sets his teams out very well and would stay around as you suggested, and we really need someone at the helm for 3/4 seasons

At The Edge
03-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Could this mean Steve Clarke is back in the frame? :wink:

Liverpool name ex Hammer Keen as first team coach
Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14008210.stm)

GreenCastle
03-07-2011, 08:23 PM
I think he would, hes a very organised and determined type of bloke, would really love to see an older head come in with him, a bit of a disciplinarian is what is needed to sort the dressing room. MON sets his teams out very well and would stay around as you suggested, and we really need someone at the helm for 3/4 seasons

I agree - the disciplinarian part I agree with - the last we had was Collins though and the players didn't like the high standards he was trying to set and went behind his back to the board to complain :bitchy:

AndersonGGTTH
04-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Not O'Neil.. PLEASE not infact!

Strachans,JC? and Billy Davies:rolleyes:?

TBH i would prefer GS , thats just my opinion though and doubt he would come..

GGTTH!:flag:

Cropley10
04-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Perhaps we could keep CC by offering him the chance to be assistant to himself at Hibs?

He is at the moment anyway, isn't he?:wink::confused:

Cropley10
04-07-2011, 09:30 AM
For those calling for MON - and after reading Tom English's piece in the SoS - would he be getting mentioned if he'd played for Hertz and not us?

His credentials seem to be; only lost 3 nil to Juventus, does well in a very cr@p league, er, played for Hibs and is quite young.

Stevie Reid
04-07-2011, 09:32 AM
I will fully support whoever is our next manager, but I have to say that Michael O'Neill would get me more excited than Sturrock or Butcher (though I would put Sturrock far higher up my list than Butcher FWIW).

Strachan would probably be the closest appointment we could get to someone who would unite the support, and I would be very happy if he were to come in. Chasing Billy Davies would probably be the most ambitious move we could make but I couldn't see him managing in Scotland outwith the OF having been a manager in the Championship for so long.

Beefster
04-07-2011, 09:32 AM
For those calling for MON - and after reading Tom English's piece in the SoS - would he be getting mentioned if he'd played for Hertz and not us?

His credentials seem to be; only lost 3 nil to Juventus, does well in a very cr@p league, er, played for Hibs and is quite young.

There are strong parallels with Mixu, pre-Hibs. Good spell at a lower league Scottish club, took a foreign club into Europe, ex-player etc etc.

There is nothing to suggest that we should be desperate to get O'Neill over any other promising young manager in the game.

GreenPJ
04-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I will fully support whoever is our next manager, but I have to say that Michael O'Neill would get me more excited than Sturrock or Butcher (though I would put Sturrock far higher up my list than Butcher FWIW).

Strachan would probably be the closest appointment we could get to someone who would unite the support, and I would be very happy if he were to come in. Chasing Billy Davies would probably be the most ambitious move we could make but I couldn't see him managing in Scotland outwith the OF having been a manager in the Championship for so long.

My concern about Sturrock would be the health side of things. Billy Davies is a good manager but ultimately would walk at the first 'bigger' opportunity. I don't see Butcher leaving Inverness to be honest. Think he is happy with his lot up there, enjoys a good work/life balance etc.

I would love to think that Strachan could be persuaded to come for 3 years and sort things out and put in place a production line again through the youth system but sadly I don't see it.

blackpoolhibs
04-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Hibs need a shot in the arm, i dont know many Hibs fans who are that excited about the up coming season. Strachan would give us a boost, he'd probably do a good job, had a great record at celtic and would be my choice.

Can we afford him, doubtful? The club needs galvanising, the fans need to feel excited again, as i said Strachan out of all the names mentioned would probably get most of us excited, not all but most of us.

At the end of the day though, its all about getting the right man, none of the others mentioned get me that excited, but could do a good job. :pray:

Stevie Reid
04-07-2011, 09:52 AM
My concern about Sturrock would be the health side of things. Billy Davies is a good manager but ultimately would walk at the first 'bigger' opportunity. I don't see Butcher leaving Inverness to be honest. Think he is happy with his lot up there, enjoys a good work/life balance etc.

I would love to think that Strachan could be persuaded to come for 3 years and sort things out and put in place a production line again through the youth system but sadly I don't see it.

I would be amazed if Butcher turned down the chance to be Hibs manager, if it were offered to him.

smurf
04-07-2011, 09:56 AM
At least if it was known we had made a serious attempt to get WGS...

Cropley10
04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
There are strong parallels with Mixu, pre-Hibs. Good spell at a lower league Scottish club, took a foreign club into Europe, ex-player etc etc.

There is nothing to suggest that we should be desperate to get O'Neill over any other promising young manager in the game.

I agree, this is what makes the Tom English piece a bit more worrying....IMHO.

Cropley10
04-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Hibs need a shot in the arm, i dont know many Hibs fans who are that excited about the up coming season. Strachan would give us a boost, he'd probably do a good job, had a great record at celtic and would be my choice.

Can we afford him, doubtful? The club needs galvanising, the fans need to feel excited again, as i said Strachan out of all the names mentioned would probably get most of us excited, not all but most of us.

At the end of the day though, its all about getting the right man, none of the others mentioned get me that excited, but could do a good job. :pray:

We could pay him a lot more than he's earning right now:wink:

I'd love to think that he'd come and stay here for a while, before 'moving upstairs'...

mr mojo risin
04-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Get Billy Davies, every club he's been at he has done really well (play offs/ promotions). We need a manager with experience, no rookies. This has to be sorted asap. Season starts in 3 weeks

blackpoolhibs
04-07-2011, 10:11 AM
We could pay him a lot more than he's earning right now:wink:

I'd love to think that he'd come and stay here for a while, before 'moving upstairs'...

yip i know he's not earning at the moment. :wink: I have no idea if he'd want the job on our pay, or if he wants another job in England?

IWasThere2016
04-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Agreed. We could give him some shares :dunno:

archiebald
04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Has Derek Adams been mentioned

Cropley10
04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Agreed. We could give him some shares :dunno:

That's a great idea. We need to think creatively about how we attract a different sort of candidate.

IWasThere2016
04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
That's a great idea. We need to think creatively about how we attract a different sort of candidate.

The problem might be STF and RP .. will they dilute their ownership?

The former might .. for the greater good

Stevie Reid
04-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I find it highly amusing that you naming Gus Poyet as a managerial target somehow equates to you being a more worthy Hibs supporter than me. If I say that think we should try to sign Craig Mackail-Smith, am I more worthy, or just naming a target as unrealistic as yours?

Bizarre twist of fate: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13991715.stm

Lucius Apuleius
04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Anyone tell me of any managers currently at SPL clubs that have been there for three yearsn(or more)?

GreenCastle
04-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Anyone tell me of any managers currently at SPL clubs that have been there for three yearsn(or more)?

Manager Club Appointed

Derek McInnes St. Johnstone 27 November 2007

Jim McIntyre Dunfermline Athletic 3 January 2008

Terry Butcher Inverness Caledonian Thistle 27 January 2009

Peter Houston Dundee United 23 December 2009

Jim Jefferies Heart of Midlothian 29 January 2010

Neil Lennon Celtic 25 March 2010

Danny Lennon St Mirren 7 June 2010

Colin Calderwood Hibernian 18 October 2010

Craig Brown Aberdeen 10 December 2010

Stuart McCall Motherwell 30 December 2010

Ally McCoist Rangers June 2011

Kenny Shiels Kilmarnock 15 June 2011

I don't think the issue is being there for 3 years or more - the issue is more to do with how many changes of manager over the last 5-10 years.

There was a time the yams were going through managers every week but at the same time they had Mad Vlad running the club and still winning trophies.

From that list the teams with longer staying managers have built sides which compete well in the league - Rangers and McCoist should really be higher as Walter Smith was there - so it's nearly top 6 / bottom 6 split.

Lucius Apuleius
04-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Manager Club Appointed

Derek McInnes St. Johnstone 27 November 2007

Jim McIntyre Dunfermline Athletic 3 January 2008

Terry Butcher Inverness Caledonian Thistle 27 January 2009

Peter Houston Dundee United 23 December 2009

Jim Jefferies Heart of Midlothian 29 January 2010

Neil Lennon Celtic 25 March 2010

Danny Lennon St Mirren 7 June 2010

Colin Calderwood Hibernian 18 October 2010

Craig Brown Aberdeen 10 December 2010

Stuart McCall Motherwell 30 December 2010

Ally McCoist Rangers June 2011

Kenny Shiels Kilmarnock 15 June 2011

I don't think the issue is being there for 3 years or more - the issue is more to do with how many changes of manager over the last 5-10 years.

There was a time the yams were going through managers every week but at the same time they had Mad Vlad running the club and still winning trophies.

From that list the teams with longer staying managers have built sides which compete well in the league - Rangers and McCoist should really be higher as Walter Smith was there - so it's nearly top 6 / bottom 6 split.

Interesting. Reason I was asking and far too busy to try and find out was for that very reason. It was said earlier we needed a manager to give us stability for the next three years and it got me wondering. I don't think the statistics actually back up your statement NJ, only Sy Johnstone and the Pars with a manager that long kind of indicates to me managerial stability matters not a whit.

jgl07
04-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Trophies?

I can only recall one.

GreenCastle
04-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Trophies?

I can only recall one.

What would you give for Hibs to win the Scottish Cup though :brickwall

GreenCastle
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Interesting. Reason I was asking and far too busy to try and find out was for that very reason. It was said earlier we needed a manager to give us stability for the next three years and it got me wondering. I don't think the statistics actually back up your statement NJ, only Sy Johnstone and the Pars with a manager that long kind of indicates to me managerial stability matters not a whit.

ICT have had Butcher a few years and he has managed to shape his own team - Hibs haven't won up there and he constantly gives the Old Firm tough games up there.

Saints - McInnes - must have a very small budget however has put together a reasonable team - players like Morris and Duberry would have done a job in our team.

Dundee Utd had Harry Potter then he left passing onto Houston - they have done well over the last few seasons with a Scottish Cup win also.

JJ is back at the yams and he knows the set up there - they know him - stability to a degree - except you have a mad man running the club. Can't see JJ leaving anytime soon unless he gets pushed by Mad Vlad.

McCoist and Lennon know Rangers and Celtic inside out and the others....well this will be a big season for them to see how they mould their own teams - CC included if he stays around..

Cropley10
04-07-2011, 05:57 PM

Houston at the Arabs succeeded Potter and won a Cup - plenty of stability there, in fact the perfect proof.

McCoist succeeding Walter is another case of minimum upheaval - obviously yet to take the team.

It's maybe not the case of how long you stay but who you are succeeded by and then how long you stay...

weecounty hibby
04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I think Strachan ticks all the boxes. As I have said previously a born winner, strict, knows the game inside out, contacts all over UK. Also I think he would be here for a number of years. No one in Scotland to tempt him, Celtic, been there, Rangers, no chance. So down to England then, doubt it as I think it would need to be one of the upper championship clubs or a premiership club to tempt him away and he would have to be doing a fantastic job for us for any of them to be even slightly interested.

graemegyle
04-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Hibs new manager will be Alan Irvine, Petrie has been working on this for the past week hence the delay in letting CC leave to go to Notts Forest as well as trying to get the maximum compo by delaying it as long as possible.

I believe Irvine`s appointment will be announced on Wednesday after they get the match with Livi out of the way.

CC will not be at the game tomorrow night.

Hibtastic
04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
If that's true then I'd be very happy!!

Hibs new manager will be Alan Irvine, Petrie has been working on this for the past week hence the delay in letting CC leave to go to Notts Forest as well as trying to get the maximum compo by delaying it as long as possible.

I believe Irvine`s appointment will be announced on Wednesday after they get the match with Livi out of the way.

hibee1994
04-07-2011, 07:07 PM
whats the source might i ask?

Speedway
04-07-2011, 07:08 PM
What would you give for Hibs to win the Scottish Cup though :brickwall

Not much, we'd be sure to pick the holes in it.

- Played hoofball throughout
- Missed too many chances to put the game beyond doubt
- Can't believe we paraded the trophy at half time during a derby defeat
- I suppose we'll have to wait another 116 years to win this thing again
- How long before this side gets broken up by that Lindsay, lining his own pockets.

etc.

hibsbollah
04-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Fine. Lets just get on with it.

Alfred E Newman
04-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Nothing in his CV to get excited about. As far as his managerial career goes he is a loser.

sixtwo
04-07-2011, 07:12 PM
:thumbsup:That would be a win / win for us. A better manager and money for the ***** one!

Zondervan
04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Oh God, please no.

Hibtastic
04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I watched his Preston team play wolves off the park at molineux a couple of years ago. They were well organised. Only just missed out on promotion.

Dibben
04-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I have to confess to not remembering much about his style of play at Preston, but I do remember thinking he was hard done by when he was sacked!!

Would be happy with this...

graemegyle
04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
whats the source might i ask?

It was from someone that knows Alan Irvine.

Scorrie
04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
He was a good coach at Everton. Moyes rated him pretty highly. Did an OK job at Preston from what I remember. Interesting choice

hibee1994
04-07-2011, 07:21 PM
It would definately contradict Thornhill's story in the evening news today.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-star-Thornhill-urges-Calderwood.6795548.jp

Although he does say Calderwood is keeping his cards close to chest.

Cropley10
04-07-2011, 07:22 PM
It was from someone that knows Alan Irvine.

Who will be thrilled that you're repeating this on here :greengrin

smurf
04-07-2011, 07:22 PM
More a respected 'coach' than Manager?

hibsbollah
04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Was he the sheff weds dude?

PatHead
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Did he not get Sheffield Wednesday relegated or was he unlucky with injuries etc?

stubru59
04-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Was he not the manager of PNE when we played them a couple of seasons back?
If memory serves, they gave us a good going over?

DH1875
04-07-2011, 07:26 PM
I herd at the weekend he was in the running but thought nothing in it. Can't say I remember much about him as a manager.

down the slope
04-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Will this run to 102 pages ?, what will we talk about if it's all over ?.

smurf
04-07-2011, 07:27 PM

He was. I mind.

NthCarolinaHibs
04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Will this run to 102 pages ?, what will we talk about if it's all over ?.If he'll make it to Christmas or no :greengrin

Mark79
04-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Will this run to 102 pages ?, what will we talk about if it's all over ?.

We can just start the "get him out" thread the day after he is appointed.

Maybe admins could make it a sticky?

Removed
04-07-2011, 07:29 PM

And I can go now :grr:

Removed
04-07-2011, 07:31 PM
We can just start the "get him tae **** out" thread the day after he is appointed.

Fixed that for you :agree:

hibee1994
04-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Did he not get Sheffield Wednesday relegated or was he unlucky with injuries etc?

Apparantly he got them relegated and then, after a takeover freed up funds for him in the transfer window, he still left the club in the 12th in league 1.

Mark79
04-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Fixed that for you :agree:

I was going to say that but it's before the watershed.

Cropley10
04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Apparantly he got them relegated and then, after a takeover freed up funds for him in the transfer window, he still left the club in the 12th in league 1.

Irvine was appointed manager of Sheffield Wednesday on 8 January 2010. Wednesday got off to a good start under Irvine, winning games against Barnsley, Blackpool and Peterborough United. Irvine was named Championship Manager of the month for January 2010. This form was not sustained, however, as on the last day of the season Wednesday needed a home win against Crystal Palace to avoid relegation. The match ended in a 2–2 draw, relegating Wednesday to Football League One.

Dibben
04-07-2011, 07:38 PM
According to Wiki, he has a 40% win rate at both clubs that he managed.

blackpoolhibs
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
If this is true its not that inspiring.:dunno:

ionahibby
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM

If thats the case and we hear nothing from the club in the morning about the sitution and we get to the livi game to find out he isn't in the dugout serious questions need to be asked about why the club once again are keeping us in the dark!

Then again you could be talking pish :greengrin

Andy74
04-07-2011, 07:42 PM
It would definately contradict Thornhill's story in the evening news today.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-star-Thornhill-urges-Calderwood.6795548.jp
Although he does say Calderwood is keeping his cards close to chest.

Thornhill knows nowt, just saying he wants CC to stay which is natural for anyone who gets on with the current boss.

lapsedhibee
04-07-2011, 07:45 PM
We can just start the "get him out" thread the day after he is appointed.

Why the ******** ***** **** are we waiting till the day after? I want him gone NOW! He's had long enough to prove himself! Shown no passion whatsoever for the Hibs! :grr: :taxi:

H18sry
04-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I spoke to a geezer in the boozer before the Scotland game v Holland in Amsterdam a couple of years back, and he was a very good mate of AI, and he said that Petrie has twice in the past tried to get AI in at Hibs :agree:

sevenil
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
If he turns out to be the one for the hotseat, I'll be delighted. Frankly he's a much higher level candidate than I expected RP to be able to get in the circumstances.
He was with Moyes at Everton and as I recall has made a good impression everywhere he's been since. Seems to have some integrity about him - what a change from the last man.

Www1875hfc
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Irvine was appointed manager of Sheffield Wednesday on 8 January 2010. Wednesday got off to a good start under Irvine, winning games against Barnsley, Blackpool and Peterborough United. Irvine was named Championship Manager of the month for January 2010. This form was not sustained, however, as on the last day of the season Wednesday needed a home win against Crystal Palace to avoid relegation. The match ended in a 2–2 draw, relegating Wednesday to Football League One.

Wee clip here from that game,plus some fans comments on him taking over at Wednesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9LpktcMqhw

Andy74
04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Did Irvine empty Michael Hart at PNE?

Love the Green
04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I watched his Preston team play wolves off the park at molineux a couple of years ago. They were well organised. Only just missed out on promotion.

Anf after that they did what?
So how is he he unemployed now?

"keep the faith"

J-C
04-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Coaching career
Irvine returned to Goodison Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodison_Park) 18 years after leaving as a player to join the coaching staff. He was also formerly academy director at Blackburn Rovers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Rovers) and Newcastle United (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_United_F.C.), where he was credited with bringing through players such as Steven Taylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Taylor_(footballer)) and Peter Ramage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ramage).
Irvine took over as manager of Preston North End (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_North_End_F.C.) on 20 November 2007 with Preston in a relegation battle.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Irvine_(footballer_born_1958)#cite_note-1) He guided Preston to a respectable 15th place in the 2007–08 season. In his first full season in charge, Irvine led Preston to the play-offs when on a dramatic final day of the season, after Preston clinched the final play-off spot thanks to goals from Jon Parkin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Parkin) and Sean St. Ledger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_St._Ledger). After that he was named the Championship Manager of the Month for April.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Irvine_(footballer_born_1958)#cite_note-2) Preston lost their play-off semi-final to Sheffield United (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_United_F.C.) 2–1 on aggregate.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Irvine_(footballer_born_1958)#cite_note-3) He was sacked on 29 December 2009 after Preston suffered a poor run of results where the team only won once in 10 games.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Irvine_(footballer_born_1958)#cite_note-Preston_sack_boss_Alan_Irvine_after_run_of_poor_re sults-4) His departure from Preston caused outrage from fans.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]
Irvine was appointed manager of Sheffield Wednesday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C.) on 8 January 2010.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Irvine_(footballer_born_1958)#cite_note-Irvine_appointed_Wednesday_boss-5) Wednesday got off to a good start under Irvine, winning games against Barnsley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnsley_F.C.), Blackpool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackpool_F.C.) and Peterborough United (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_United). Irvine was named Championship Manager of the month for January 2010. This form was not sustained, however, as on the last day of the season Wednesday needed a home win against Crystal Palace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_F.C.) to avoid relegation. The match ended in a 2–2 draw, relegating Wednesday to Football League One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_One).
Wednesday then had severe financial issues, with the club appearing in court twice over winding up orders. Following the successful takeover by Milan Mandaric (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Mandaric) at the end of 2010, Irvine was allowed transfer funds to revamp his squad. Despite making several new signings, the team continued to have consistently poor results. On 3 February 2011, Wednesday sacked Irvine with the side lying 12th in League One.[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Irvine_(footballer_born_1958)#cite_note-6)

Craig_in_Prague
04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Maybe he'll come up to Hibs and the SPL as the 'freshness' of it will be appealing...........

Oh wait a minute.

Doesn't have family down south does he :devil:

In all seriousness i think this sounds like would be an OK appointment, and one which could turn out pretty well.

007 Mickey Weir
04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Actually sounds interesting. If true I hope it happens quickly so we can all move on.

Maybe more chance of Mark Reynolds coming to us???

Oh and Rob Jones..................

stubru59
04-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Did Irvine empty Michael Hart at PNE?

Nope. Hart managed to get a run when the next guy (Ferguson, I think) took over. He subsequently lost his place and in time we were landed with him.

Hibstrooper
04-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Would rather Irvine than O'Neill

Andy74
04-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Nope. Hart managed to get a run when the next guy (Ferguson, I think) took over. He subsequently lost his place and in time we were landed with him.

At least I think he was going out the picture with him!

Kaiser1962
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Who will be thrilled that you're repeating this on here :greengrin

Not half as chuffed as Rod will be :greengrin

If true that is :whistle:

hfc rd
04-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I would take this guy over the likes of Bollan and McGlynn who have been mentioned as the next gaffer.

Remember seeing Alan Irvine's Preston team beating Hibs at ER in what was Yogi's first home game as manager of Hibs. His Preston team certainly played some nice football that day.

Overall like I said, I would be very happy with this appointment. The only thing is the sooner it gets done the better as I simply can't be a**** waiting and searching 3-4 weeks for a new gaffer since the Celtic game is only just under 3 weeks away now and a new gaffer needs to be appointed now and not later.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-07-2011, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't be to annoyed to see a decent manager get the job that we don't need to pay for providing that he gets the CC compo added straight into the budget that is already there for next year. If we need to go and poach another manager that is under contract, the compo money will be in one hand and out the other.

Andy74
04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Seems to be one of these guys that sounds good/ is rated but has never actually done anything?

RickyS
04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Would rather Irvine than O'Neill

why? (just interested)

hibs0666
04-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Irvine had Preston playing way above their station, and Callum Davidson reckons that Irvine was the best manager he ever worked with.

The guy performed a minor miracle in keeping Preston up in his first season before getting Preston to the play-offs the following year. Even when he was emptied by Preston they were only 8 points off a play-off position. I guess they paid the ultimate penalty for not backing a decent manager when they got relegated.

abgreen
04-07-2011, 08:25 PM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00422/father-Ted_280_422484a.jpg

LancashireHibby
04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I'd be quite pleased if we appointed Irvine - his win ratio is affected by some VERY trying circumstances at Sheffield Wednesday but he did very well at PNE and they've never really recovered since sacking him.

DaveF
04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Seems to be one of these guys that sounds good/ is rated but has never actually done anything?

When have we tempted in a manager that has "done anything?"

Hibstrooper
04-07-2011, 08:33 PM
why? (just interested)

I was speaking to my bro in law who was over from Ireland and he didn't give O'Neill a glowing reference. By all accounts it's a direct style of football he likes too which I don't think is as good to watch.

I also believe Irvine will have built up a better network from his time down south and I think that is quite important

Beefster
04-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Anf after that they did what?
So how is he he unemployed now?

"keep the faith"

Hughes and Mixu were in employment prior to being appointed.

CallumLaidlaw
04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
My best mate is a toffee and reckons he would be a great appointment for us.

I would be pleased If it was him.

Plus

Alan Irvines green and White army fits better than Michael o neill :greengrin

Andy74
04-07-2011, 08:39 PM
My best mate is a toffee and reckons he would be a great appointment for us.

I would be pleased If it was him.

Plus

Mike O'Neil fits just fine.

BT58
04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Was he the manager of preston when we got gubbed 3-0 in a preseason friendly
at ER a few seasons back????

stantonhibby
04-07-2011, 08:45 PM

there's a shock

and your choice would be ?

RickyS
04-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I was speaking to my bro in law who was over from Ireland and he didn't give O'Neill a glowing reference. By all accounts it's a direct style of football he likes too which I don't think is as good to watch.

I also believe Irvine will have built up a better network from his time down south and I think that is quite important

:aok:

nonshinyfinish
04-07-2011, 08:48 PM

Sold. :agree:

HH81
04-07-2011, 08:51 PM
there's a shock

Himself, clearly. :)

Hibtastic
04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Don't think we could get many with better experience and player knowledge.

sunshine1875
04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Not what football Rumours says:duck:

This page was last updated: 21:23:47 GMT+1

04 Jul 2011 21:09:07
Derek McInnes favourite to succeed CC

Speedway
04-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Hmmmm....experienced, rated highly in the game, won more than he's lost at both clubs he's managed despite being severely hampered by budgie constraints and has both played and coached at a higher level than Hibs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Irvine_(footballer_born_1958)

Never played for either side of the OF either......

this can't be right.

GreenCastle
04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
So Hibs currently have 2 managers and no assistant managers :wink:

:wink:

Having seen some of IR's interviews I like the way he carries himself and comes across as someone who would stay around for a few seasons and try and build something at the club.

He is used to working with no money and would play more attractive football than CC.

Hibbyradge
04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I heard a glowing report from a football scout about Michael O'Neill today.

It's all about opinions though.

snooky
04-07-2011, 09:08 PM

.. but 40% would still be an improvement on our last few managers. :wink:

weststandhibby
04-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Hmmmm....experienced, rated highly in the game, won more than he's lost at both clubs he's managed despite being severely hampered by budgies constraints and has both played and coached at a higher level than Hibs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Irvine_(footballer_born_1958)

Never played for either side of the OF either......

this can't be right.

Whats BUDGIE got to do with this. is he not in the middle east at the moment???

Speedway
04-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Davidson's comments make for encouraging reading here.

This is, in prospect, a very shrewd move by Rod.

Could Uncle Roderick be about to pull it off under pressure once again?

RickyS
04-07-2011, 09:15 PM

not as easy as it sounds:greengrin

Dan Sarf
04-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Big strong team if I remember right. Which, of course, I may not. I seem to recall we were doing quite well in the first half - then fell apart after a few team changes and then they steam rollered us.

snooky
04-07-2011, 09:17 PM

He's getting more like Del Boy, by the minute.
Luvvly jubbly.

edwards
04-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Nope sorry not my idea of a decent manager not got a winning mentality and his record with Wednesday was hardly glowing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/sheffield-wednesday-sack-manager-alan-irvine-2202987.html

Terry Butcher Please

YehButNoBut
04-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Thought Irvine would have been a good appt last October instead of CC.

Would do a good job for us IMO.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?194341-Of-the-current-favourites-who-do-you-want&p=2598563&highlight=#post2598563

Alfred E Newman
04-07-2011, 09:18 PM

That is why it might be true. :worried:

Speedway
04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Like any .netter worth his giro, I've found the flaw.

Alan Irvine....defo a trackie manager. Ergo, not Hibs class.

Lmc2105
04-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Would love for this to come through as i think that he would be exactly the appointment that we need.:agree:

Speedway
04-07-2011, 09:22 PM
not as easy as it sounds:greengrin

Well if he does, it looks like many on here will lap it up.

Andy74
04-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Don't think we could get many with better experience and player knowledge.

Has he not only been a manager for 4 yrs or so?

Stevie Reid
04-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Well if he does, it looks like many on here will lap it up.

And why not? People have been waiting for Rodders to splash out on a new manager for a long, long time.

Would be happy with Irvine or O'Neill. Would be fully supportive of any appointment though, and anyone's a risk.

Speedway
04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Has he not only been a manager for 4 yrs or so?

That's a lot longer than others who have been managers for a significantly lesser amount of time.

hibs0666
04-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Like any .netter worth his giro, I've found the flaw.

Alan Irvine....defo a trackie manager. Ergo, not Hibs class.

Whilst he is not one of us, I hear he is a peg power-seller.

Jonnyboy
04-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Nope sorry not my idea of a decent manager not got a winning mentality and his record with Wednesday was hardly glowing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/sheffield-wednesday-sack-manager-alan-irvine-2202987.html

Terry Butcher Please

He's done now't of any great import either though :confused:

matty_f
04-07-2011, 09:29 PM
And why not? People have been waiting for Rodders to splash out on a new manager for a long, long time.

Would be happy with Irvine or O'Neill. Would be fully supportive of any appointment though, and anyone's a risk.

:agree: Agree with the bit in bold. Was a bit underwhelmed at the prospect of O'Neill, but I've asked some folk I know who know about football in Ireland and they were all very positive about him.

As for Irvine, I think he's the kind of manager Hibs need right now, and if he does come he is getting us at a great time. We're told there's budget for more players, CC has shifted a load of underperformers and replaced them with good signings, so he starts from a much stronger position than CC did, IMHO.

Jonnyboy
04-07-2011, 09:31 PM
:agree: Agree with the bit in bold. Was a bit underwhelmed at the prospect of O'Neill, but I've asked some folk I know who know about football in Ireland and they were all very positive about him.

As for Irvine, I think he's the kind of manager Hibs need right now, and if he does come he is getting us at a great time. We're told there's budget for more players, CC has shifted a load of underperformers and replaced them with good signings, so he starts from a much stronger position than CC did, IMHO.

:agree: I like the sound of Irvine being the man. Sadly, whoever it is will please some and not others

Mikey
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
:agree: I like the sound of Irvine being the man. Sadly, whoever it is will please some and not others

And they won't tire from letting us know about it.

son of haggart
04-07-2011, 09:40 PM

He looks like a decent choice - seems to have been a bit unlucky at both his last clubs re timing of departure.

Not sure I agree with your last sentence though - your team at the moment needs strengthening badly IMHO
Think he would do well if he gets the money for a couple of decent players

Jonnyboy
04-07-2011, 09:41 PM
He looks like a decent choice - seems to have been a bit unlucky at both his last clubs re timing of departure.

Not sure I agree with your last sentence though - your team at the moment needs strengthening badly IMHO
Think he would do well if he gets the money for a couple of decent players

On the contrary it needs strengthening well :wink:

son of haggart
04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
On the contrary it needs strengthening well :wink:

Depends which side of the town you look at it from :wink:

However I stand corrected, grammatically speaking

Jonnyboy
04-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Depends which side of the town you look at it from :wink:

However I stand corrected, grammatically speaking

:greengrin

Sir David Gray
04-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd be willing to give whoever it is a chance to succeed but I'm afraid I no longer have any faith in our current board to appoint the right manager.

This will be our sixth manager in the last five years and the last four can hardly be described as a success.

Just getting really sick of this managerial merry-go-round that is happening every year or so now.

And to think we used to mock Hearts for their high turnover of managers under Romanov.

Hibs On Tour
04-07-2011, 10:18 PM
To be honest, out of MON and AI I'd take Irvine for the reason of him *not* having been a Hibs player in the past. Has managed at a higher level than MON too.

But in the final analysis, perhaps it should come down to who is prepared to display some ****ing committment to the club, given that our current manager is obviously displaying so little! :fuming:

IWasThere2016
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Irvine will do very nicely :agree:

3pm
04-07-2011, 10:29 PM
This is complete rubbish.

If you check the Calderwood to Forest thread at 6.30pm there is a deleted post from me. Having a laugh (or being a tit if you prefer), I posted Irvine's name and I still can't explain why I done that.

90 mins later, his name is being banded about in a separate thread. Total pish.

HibeeSince85
04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
I dunno, whoever gets the job I'll support them all the way untill they start acting like Calderwood is the now.

He seems like he might be more useful as an assistant(not at Hibs, in general), which is ironic as we have a manager on his way to being an assistant, I'd prefer O'Neil out the two.

Strachan or Butcher for me but if we can steal a gem from out of the list that's going about I'd he equally as happy, just get it done quick, this is worse than being managerless, it's just sitting in limbo!

sevenil
04-07-2011, 10:36 PM

Terry Butcher Please

Not got a winning mentality??? after what we've just had?
Sometimes I despair about opinions aired on this board. Clueless about our place in the food chain. In case you've not understood, we're not likely to see Mourinho, Ferguson, or Villas Boas coming to be interviewed by Rodders

GreenCastle
04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Sometimes I despair about opinions aired on this board. Clueless about our place in the food chain. In case you've not understood, we're not likely to see Mourinho, Ferguson, or Villas Boas coming to be interviewed by Rodders

Franck Stanton
04-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I'd be willing to give whoever it is a chance to succeed but I'm afraid I no longer have any faith in our current board to appoint the right manager.

This will be our sixth manager in the last five years and the last four can hardly be described as a success.

Just getting really sick of this managerial merry-go-round that is happening every year or so now.

And to think we used to mock Hearts for their high turnover of managers under Romanov.

Well said FH, - Michael O'Neil, Gordon Strachan, Gary Bolan, Alan Irvine, FFS I dont care if they appoint KING F'N KONG, - JUST DO IT NOW.

lEXO
04-07-2011, 11:58 PM

:top marks

cam75
05-07-2011, 12:32 AM
would we take to him?seem 2 rember he done quite well at his last club up here?just a thought!

CapitalHibs
05-07-2011, 12:41 AM
George Burnley?:greengrin

Who dat????

blairwallace
05-07-2011, 12:44 AM
is this robin galloway for the wind up?

NOLA
05-07-2011, 01:14 AM

name me an inspiring manager who would want this job? cos the good ones are taken already, wages on offer/spl football, its not a plum draw, bring back lexo:wink:

givescotlandfreedom
05-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Are you back on the sauce, George?

Lucius Apuleius
05-07-2011, 05:11 AM
AI? Artificial Intelligence, hmm, maybe not the brightest.

Would prefer him to either Strachan or O'Neill. Having said that I would fancy Levein before these two.

EasterRoad4Ever
05-07-2011, 05:14 AM

Agree 100%.

Tricla
05-07-2011, 06:13 AM
AI? Artificial Intelligence, hmm, maybe not the brightest.

Would prefer him to either Strachan or O'Neill. Having said that I would fancy Levein before these two.

:asshole:

Hibbyradge
05-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Don't mock the OP. His spelling may not have been a faux pas.

Maybe the board have decided that all future Hibs managers must have a town or place in their name e.g. Alan Irvine, George Burnley.

Although tenuous, I think Colin Calderwood started this trend.

IWasThere2016
05-07-2011, 06:23 AM

It has started already. He's no inspiring or got enough experience. Why don't we just bring back Yogi? :wink: :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
05-07-2011, 06:28 AM
:asshole:

Me or Levein?

Lucius Apuleius
05-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Don't mock the OP. His spelling may not have been a faux pas.

Maybe the board have decided that all future Hibs managers must have a town or place in their name e.g. Alan Irvine, George Burnley.

Although tenuous, I think Colin Calderwood started this trend.

:confused:Never heard of a town called Weegingerprick.:greengrin

Mikey
05-07-2011, 07:14 AM
This is complete rubbish.

If you check the Calderwood to Forest thread at 6.30pm there is a deleted post from me. Having a laugh (or being a tit if you prefer), I posted Irvine's name and I still can't explain why I done that.

90 mins later, his name is being banded about in a separate thread. Total pish.

Really?

Did you post it on the admin board 3 days ago as well?

Kaiser1962
05-07-2011, 07:26 AM

I think that including managers that have moved of their own accord (i.e. been poached) is a bit unfair. Assuming CC goes that will two off the last five that you mention.

JimBHibees
05-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Irvine will do very nicely :agree:

I agree would be an excellent appointment if true. Good reputation in the game, experienced at an excellent level and his contacts will be very good.

AlbertK86
05-07-2011, 07:39 AM
would we take to him?seem 2 rember he done quite well at his last club up here?just a thought!

George Burley

Yep

if only to noise the Yams up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though I would certainly consider him. He proved he could manage in the SPL and think he might be more than delighted to come back and haunt the MAD VLAD.

With the proper backing he could do a good job in our Mickey Mouse league. Plays football the right way. Cannae deny he had the YAMS flying and playing good football. Took attention away from the Mad Vlad and paid the ultimate price.

Scotland - at least he tried to attack unlike Potter but just didn't have the personnel and certainly never got any breaks.

For me the idea is getting better and better the more I consider it

Beefster
05-07-2011, 07:46 AM
George Burley

Yep

if only to noise the Yams up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though I would certainly consider him. He proved he could manage in the SPL and think he might be more than delighted to come back and haunt the MAD VLAD.

With the proper backing he could do a good job in our Mickey Mouse league. Plays football the right way. Cannae deny he had the YAMS flying and playing good football. Took attention away from the Mad Vlad and paid the ultimate price.

Scotland - at least he tried to attack unlike Potter but just didn't have the personnel and certainly never got any breaks.

For me the idea is getting better and better the more I consider it

To a certain extent, Burley's success at them was down to the level of backing that he had while there. I'm sure that they signed the likes of Bednar, Skacel, Fyssas, Tall and that Lithuanian punter who was at Porto (or somewhere similar).

The job becomes much easier when you can sign better players than everyone else on the never-never.

AlbertK86
05-07-2011, 07:56 AM
To a certain extent, Burley's success at them was down to the level of backing that he had while there. I'm sure that they signed the likes of Bednar, Skacel, Fyssas, Tall and that Lithuanian punter who was at Porto (or somewhere similar).

The job becomes much easier when you can sign better players than everyone else on the never-never.

Beefster

Totally agree that's what I meant when I said 'with the proper backing' he could be a success.

Is now the time with the Stadium and Training Complex complete to show some real ambition on the pitch.... With the current board and financial restraints in the country in general I doubt it ....but would love for them to prove me wrong

Saying that the standard in SPL is way below what it was when he was at the Yams and I don't think it would take too much to mould a team to be best of the rest outside the OF. Hearts got there last season with a very mediocre squad

Aldo
05-07-2011, 07:59 AM
For me Irvine would be an excellent appointment. I really did think this would of been done and dusted last week and a new manager would be in place however there must of been a wee spanner in the works.

Irvine has worked under one to the best managers in Britain in Moyes and lets face it his Everton teams have punched well above their weights IMHO on a very limited budget (For EPL standards anyway).

I want this saga over but would think that Irvine (given a chance) may prove to be a very shrewd move by RP. Who cares about experience remember the day when we paraded TM as manager...and look what he did for us.

If what we are hearing is correct CC will be away the day and a new man in the Hotseat tomorrow and hopefully a few more players through the door ASAP.

Kaiser1962
05-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I agree would be an excellent appointment if true. Good reputation in the game, experienced at an excellent level and his contacts will be very good.

:agree:

Probably the best (realistic!) candidate I have heard mentioned so far.

Aldo
05-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Beefster

Totally agree that's what I meant when I said 'with the proper backing' he could be a success.

Is now the time with the Stadium and Training Complex complete to show some real ambition on the pitch.... With the current board and financial restraints in the country in general I doubt it ....but would love for them to prove me wrong

Saying that the standard in SPL is way below what it was when he was at the Yams and I don't think it would take too much to mould a team to be best of the rest outside the OF. Hearts got there last season with a very mediocre squad

Lets face it the Yams had a far superior team than anyone outside the OF and they have made a number of signings to bolster what they already have.

If they want to bring in players on the never never then so be it. We are a laughing stock at the moment and all I am asking for is stability. Was CC taking us in the right direction...who knows. We went on a good run and got out of the mire but lets face it the players themselves let the club down near the end of the season with another dreadful run.

When we do appoint another manager he needs time but we all know that there are folk on hear that will want rid after a number of bad results.

6 managers in 5 years is poor IMHO and I personally think RP and the board have been let down by CC on this occasion and its v important that they get the next appointment right.

If it is Irvine I am sure he would of built up a good network of scouts etc and you never know if he has been offered the job maybe just maybe he has been working with Rodders and the board on bringing folk in ASAP.

Beefster
05-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Is Irvine any good at interviews? If not, he's going to have a lot of folk wanting him sacked by the end of the first day.

I hear that he's never worn white socks with dress shoes so that's a start.

Beefster
05-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Lets face it the Yams had a far superior team than anyone outside the OF and they have made a number of signings to bolster what they already have.

If they want to bring in players on the never never then so be it. We are a laughing stock at the moment and all I am asking for is stability. Was CC taking us in the right direction...who knows. We went on a good run and got out of the mire but lets face it the players themselves let the club down near the end of the season with another dreadful run.

When we do appoint another manager he needs time but we all know that there are folk on hear that will want rid after a number of bad results.

6 managers in 5 years is poor IMHO and I personally think RP and the board have been let down by CC on this occasion and its v important that they get the next appointment right.

If it is Irvine I am sure he would of built up a good network of scouts etc and you never know if he has been offered the job maybe just maybe he has been working with Rodders and the board on bringing folk in ASAP.

Totally agree. He'll need two seasons for his ideas to come to fruition (just like Calderwood would have needed). He'll get three months.

Stevie Reid
05-07-2011, 08:26 AM

If we don't count trophy winning managers as a success then we might as well give up. JC definitely had his flaws, but I can't believe how many people on this board act as a 5-1 League Cup Final win never happened.

Stevie Reid
05-07-2011, 08:27 AM

This has always been the concern for me - no danger that we'll be able to appoint a manager who won't have people on his back from day one.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Whatever their credentials or experience, any manager that reports " interest" or "enthusiasm", to come to ER is already more qualified and suitable than our current manager.:rolleyes:

Kaiser1962
05-07-2011, 08:31 AM
If we don't count trophy winning managers as a success then we might as well give up. JC definitely had his flaws, but I can't believe how many people on this board act as a 5-1 League Cup Final win never happened.

Very fair point. So thats 2 poached (maybe) and one cup winning manager out the last five.

I now expect this thread to take a dramatic turn along the lines that the board did not do enough to keep these "successful" managers at ER and should resign en masse as a consequence.

California-Hibs
05-07-2011, 08:35 AM
So is this really happening then, or is it just another one of those rumours that one poster comes on and shares, lots of people comment on it/get excited by the idea, and then nothing comes of it.

This saga has dragged on for way too long for my liking. I REALLY hope this one is true, and that Calderwood will be away at the end of the day and Alan Irvine can come in tomorrow and quickly get to work in bringing success and the feel good factor back to our club. Going by what ive read on here about him and a few other bits and peices of research that ive come accross, this guy would do nicely for me as manager! :agree:

smurf
05-07-2011, 08:39 AM
This has always been the concern for me - no danger that we'll be able to appoint a manager who won't have people on his back from day one.

Then not really different from any other club so why do we persist on running ourselves down?

Stevie Reid
05-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Then not really different from any other club so why do we persist on running ourselves down?

I don't insist on running Hibs down, in fact quite the opposite - I spend a great deal of time on this board trying to get people to give credit to Hibs where it's due (including on this thread).

I honestly don't know whether we are the same as every other club with regards to fans' reactions to appointed managers (though I would certainly imagine that we are not alone). It doesn't mean that it's not counterproductive though, no matter how many other clubs are just as bad.

MontrealHibs
05-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Shout for new manager?

Removed
05-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Shout for new manager?

Has he ever grabbed Petrie by the throat?

Hibby D
05-07-2011, 09:05 AM

blackpoolhibs
05-07-2011, 09:27 AM
there's a shock

I'd like Strachan, he'd give the whole club a boost, god we need one. Will Irvine if this is true?

bingo70
05-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I'd like Strachan, he'd give the whole club a boost, god we need one. Will Irvine if this is true?

If we play well and win some games at the start of the season he would.

I don't think we need to get a big name or someone with loads of experience, for his faults i think CC has laid the foundations to build on by getting rid of a lot of the dross and leaving a small but relatively decent squad that the new manager can add to.

My concern with someone like Strachan thats worked with a big budget before is that i think it'd be a matter of time till he fell out with the board and we would be back to square one.

blackpoolhibs
05-07-2011, 09:40 AM
If we play well and win some games at the start of the season he would.

I don't think we need to get a big name or someone with loads of experience, for his faults i think CC has laid the foundations to build on by getting rid of a lot of the dross and leaving a small but relatively decent squad that the new manager can add to.

My concern with someone like Strachan thats worked with a big budget before is that i think it'd be a matter of time till he fell out with the board and we would be back to square one.

You could be right about Strachan, although he did compete well in europe with a much less budget than his competitors. He did manage to set his team up well enough to beat man united.

If it is Irvine, a few wins at the start will boost the club, and the fans will come back, Strachan would do that before a ball was kicked imo.

I suppose its more important we get the right man though, whoever that is.

Aldo
05-07-2011, 09:48 AM

TBH BH it doesnt matter who we bring in there will be doubters and doom and gloomers on here moaning and whinging about this and that.

We need this resolved and ASAP. As I posted on the PM board whose to say that the new man hasnt already targetted folk and RP and the board are doing their bit and trying to bring them in.

We defo a boost and hopefully we will get one (or maybe 2 or 3) this week. :greengrin

chrisski33
05-07-2011, 09:56 AM
It is my understanding that cc will be at the game tomorrow and that irvine wont be announced as manager tomorrow.morning or this week either.

Beefster
05-07-2011, 10:06 AM
It is my understanding that cc will be at the game tomorrow and that irvine wont be announced as manager tomorrow.morning or this week either.

I think that's fairly obvious after this morning's statement.

Aldo
05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I think that's fairly obvious after this morning's statement.

I really dont see what has changed apart from the statement Beefs.

We still have a manager that is unhappy and his family is still down south, with 2 teams down south apparantly after his services.

I am really fed up with this.

IWasThere2016
05-07-2011, 10:22 AM
[/B]

We still have a manager that is unhappy and his family is still down south, with 2 teams down south apparantly after his services.

Al - I see it as no more than RP seeking to make it publicly very clear that he wants to retain CC (whether he actually does is another matter), and it is put up or shut up time to both Forest and Brum!

I think the statement is overdue but it is the right message and it is delivered in the right manner IMO!

.Sean.
05-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Really?

What's the admin board?

SouthMoroccoStu
05-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Or at all? :confused:

Aldo
05-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Al - I see it as no more than RP seeking to make it publicly very clear that he wants to retain CC (whether he actually does is another matter), and it is put up or shut up time to both Forest and Brum!

I think the statement is overdue but it is the right message and it is delivered in the right manner IMO!

TQM

RP has laid his cards firmly on the table and as rightly mentioned its up to them to put their money where their mouths are. (in a manner of speaking) This statement however should of been out last week. Agree that it is the right message but a smokescreen..RP has to be seen to back CC as he hired him but deep down knows he will get what he wants in the end...hard cash, which I hasten to add will hopefully be given to the new man for more new faces (which we also need)

Did I say that I am totally and utterly fed up with this. Instead of talking about new players and the new season ahead its about more unrest at ER.

Removed
05-07-2011, 10:56 AM
What's the admin board?

Where they talk about admin stuff :agree:

Bet you have your own thread :wink:

.Sean.
05-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Where they talk about admin stuff :agree:

Bet you have your own thread :wink:
Why would I have my own thread?

Beefster
05-07-2011, 11:29 AM
[/B]

You may be right (but might not be).

Either way, Rodders isn't going to release that statement if he was planning on releasing Calderwood and appointing Irvine any time soon. It would make the statement look like lies and destroy a lot of Rodders credibility.

--------
05-07-2011, 11:29 AM

But I'd say that the trigger for this statement was the quote in the Nottingham Post today from McClaren - IMO that statement gives Rod grounds for a formal complaint against McClaren, the agent, and Forest for tapping up our manager, just the thing he needed to up the ante.

Now Rod may be now sick of the whole business, and even content to see Calderwood go, but Hibs paid £150,000 comp when Calderwood came here, and Rod wants THAT back and a bit more.

It's a wise man who holds his fire until he sees the whites of their eyes. And Rod's a wise man.

And I DO think that neither Forest, not Brum, nor McClaren, nor Calderwood, nor their agent had the faintest clue what sort of a guy they were dealing with when they started this nonsense.

3pm
05-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Really?

No, I need to keep the tenner...

James70
05-07-2011, 12:50 PM
According to one poster on Newsnow (albeit a Yam who claims to have a reliable source within ER and has been proved correct in the past) Hibs have already had preliminary discussions with a previous manager about returning to the club.

We can obviously rule out Yogi, Mowbray and Mixu are in current employment, I'm not sure about the position with Lexo and Mr Blobby which leaves JC who I doubt would want to come back.

Not good news IF this is true.

Sodje_18
05-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Shout for new manager?

Even though this thread in meant to be a joke, **** right off :greengrin

Gettin' Auld
05-07-2011, 01:36 PM
According to one poster on Newsnow (albeit a Yam who claims to have a reliable source within ER and has been proved correct in the past) Hibs have already had preliminary discussions with a previous manager about returning to the club.

We can obviously rule out Yogi, Mowbray and Mixu are in current employment, I'm not sure about the position with Lexo and Mr Blobby which leaves JC who I doubt would want to come back.

Derek Adams?

If assistant managers count?

stubru59
05-07-2011, 01:58 PM

The only candidate worth considering has recently and sadly passed away.

sesoim
05-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Sacked twice from his only two management jobs. Yeah, he'd fit right in with the standard of appointments Petrie has made. If we appoint him then we might as well give up.

sesoim
05-07-2011, 02:14 PM
If he turns out to be the one for the hotseat, I'll be delighted. Frankly he's a much higher level candidate than I expected RP to be able to get in the circumstances.
He was with Moyes at Everton and as I recall has made a good impression everywhere he's been since. Seems to have some integrity about him - what a change from the last man.

Sacked twice, helped take two teams down to Division One. What he did as an assistant is irrelevant because he is NOT the guy in charge.

I'm amazed people are getting excited about Irvine and yet most people here would happilly slag off Jimmy Calderwood who hasn't done a bad job anywhere. If Petrie thinks the same way as most Hibs fans no wonder we've made so many bad appointments over the years.

erin go bragh
05-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Aye, imagine bringing back a manager who gave us a 5 star cup final win and put out the ****bos 78% on the way to lifting that cup :rolleyes:
ggtth

hibsbollah
05-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Aye, imagine bringing back a manager who gave us a 5 star cup final win and put out the ****bos 78% on the way to lifting that cup :rolleyes:
ggtth

It was actually 81% possession but your point is good anyway ;-)

sesoim
05-07-2011, 02:24 PM

You are making out that the longer you keep a manager at a club, the more successful it will be. But surely it's more of a case of the better a manager is, the longer the club will want to keep him?

If you persevere with the wrong manager, your patience wont pay off. You'll get relegated.

sesoim
05-07-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd take him as player-assitant manager in a flash. He'd solve two problems in one go. I couldn't give a s*** who he has played for.

Cropley10
05-07-2011, 02:33 PM

You must be talking about Hammy1874, the perennial EEN roaster.

He's simply picked up on what's been debated on here IMHO and regurgitates it as FACT.

No way would JC return unless he was able to have more say - something I think has frustrated one or two managers in the past. Were he to return, I think he'd do a great job, and it would show the Board have listened and understood.

Won't happen though.

Speedway
05-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Derek Adams?

If assistant managers count?

Tommy Craig it is then.

Beefster
05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Sacked twice from his only two management jobs. Yeah, he'd fit right in with the standard of appointments Petrie has made. If we appoint him then we might as well give up.

You still hankering after Jimmy Calderwood? I doubt we could get him with all the clubs that are clamouring for his signature.

What do you mean that he's not worked since leaving Kilmarnock over a year ago.....?

Speedway
05-07-2011, 03:40 PM
You still hankering after Jimmy Calderwood? I doubt we could get him with all the clubs that are clamouring for his signature.

What do you mean that he's not worked since leaving Kilmarnock over a year ago.....?

He got the Ross County job in the face of stiff competition did he no?

marinello59
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Apart from his wee spell at Ross County where he lost out on the permanent job to some chap called Adams.

Beefster
05-07-2011, 03:55 PM
He got the Ross County job in the face of stiff competition did he no?

Apart from his wee spell at Ross County where he lost out on the permanent job to some chap called Adams.

That'll teach me to keep abreast of the goings on of lower league football in Scotland!

He's still a huddy...

SmokieJoe
05-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I'd take him as player-assitant manager in a flash. He'd solve two problems in one go. I couldn't give a s*** who he has played for.

Imagine him as assistant manager, how much would our young defenders learn from him, a priceless education from a seasoned pro.

greenlex
05-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Does the fact that CC was not only at the game but in the dugout calling the shots render the rest of your post cowpatt?

jgl07
06-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Surely Butcher would fancy coming to Hibs, bigger club than any1 else hes managed!! Surely to God!!!!!!

Bigger than Sunderland?

Yes that would be right!

NOLA
06-07-2011, 12:44 AM
looks like cc will be our manager for the forseeable future, no point in discussing alternatives until he is away, given rods stance, its cc we trust.:wink:

Removed
06-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Surely Butcher would fancy coming to Hibs, bigger club than any1 else hes managed!! Surely to God!!!!!!

Bigger than Sunderland?

Yes that would be right!

:agree: Or Coventry.

Think some folk have an over inflated view of ourselves in the football pecking order.

Hamish
06-07-2011, 07:40 AM
What time today is the press conference to unveil Irvine as the new manager?

SouthMoroccoStu
06-07-2011, 08:36 AM

:wink:

Thief
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Shamrock Rovers appoint Jim Magilton as Michael O'Neil's number 2.
Bit high profile to be a no. 2? oh wait minute.....

DH1875
06-07-2011, 05:56 PM
:agree: Or Coventry.

Think some folk have an over inflated view of ourselves in the football pecking order.

There's no chance Coventry are a bigger club than us :tsk tsk:.

Well :dunno:.

Removed
06-07-2011, 06:00 PM

Any idea what their highest transfer fee paid is compared to us? What size of crowds are they getting these days?

snooky
06-07-2011, 06:17 PM
:.

Naebody's saying a word. :wink:

Hamish
06-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Coventry are a bigger club than Hibs.

There are clubs in League 1 in England that are bigger than us. Sad maybe but true.

Removed
06-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Naebody's saying a word. :wink: