PDA

View Full Version : Deluded Old Firm

HibeeMG
23-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I've not noticed anyone picking up on this nugget:

LINK (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_7000248,00.html)

"We have spoken about bringing in five or six new players and that is probably the required amount.

"With Scottish clubs the price always seems to go up when they are dealing with Rangers or Celtic. But we are not going to overpay. We won't be pushovers to deal with."

Whyte was referring to Dundee United striker David Goodwillie, who is a target of Gers although a fee has yet to be agreed with his current club.

"I would say that price is too steep but I'm sure there are conversations to be had," said Whyte.

"It's a learning curve as I've never run a club before but dealing with transfers is not a lot different from other business deals."

Do they not realise that selling to a rival club means there is an added premium to pay?

easty
23-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Do they not realise that selling to a rival club means there is an added premium to pay?

Goodwillie might well be a fud but he's certainly worth the £2m they've been quoted. If he played for us I'd be dissapointed to get only £2m for him. On the pitch he's quality.

Dibben
23-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Perhaps they should try buying from England... if you want to see inflated prices... that's the place to go!!

Jack
23-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Scotland's Shame, pillaging the rest of Scottish football for a good while now, are just doing what they’ve always done to pillage a wee bit more – business as usual.

As for Goodwillie, I’m surprised that even the SS are enquiring and offering money. Taking this erse from a relative backwater, where he has already accumulated a string of violence related charges and convictions; has another outstanding and adding to that another one of a sexual nature, and tipping him into the white hot hatred of the OF scene in Glasgow amazes me.

His value is nowt and if he moved to Glasgow he’d be in more bother quicker than a judge can bring down his gavel and say guilty.

BoltonHibee
23-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Bolton are also interested in him, Coyle has been tracking him for some while. It was reported in the local press down here yesterday.

So Rangers are not the only club that are looking at him, hopefully that bumps his value up even more!

Sylar
23-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Perhaps they should try buying from England... if you want to see inflated prices... that's the place to go!!

There was an article somewhere the other day quoting Craig Levein (I think), where he was slamming English clubs for trying to rip off Scottish clubs by bidding lower-than-equivalent amounts for Scottish players.

It's a false economy and Scottish clubs do suffer as a result, as our clubs don't get the acceptable value for their top players and can't afford to browse the English market as often the asking price is far in excess of the quality of the player. Very much a one-way conveyor belt.

It makes perfect sense that other clubs in the SPL will demand an acceptable amount of money for their star players. It's not a case of the non-OF clubs trying to "rip off" the Old Firm - some of the offers clubs would receive from down south are nothing short of derisory, because the English clubs don't want to pay the going valued rate. These players would also then return to play against their former employers and the liklihood being, influence games against them. Part and parcel of the game, but if it's going to happen, then best to make sure you at least get your valuation of said player.

lucky
23-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Ironic, this is the same numpty that tried to get Shotgun Wallace for £300k from the dafties at the PBS. The Old firm always believe they have aright to all Scottish players on the cheap. RP stopped the rot and Thompson is continuing it. I wont include the mad one as he is likely to capitulate.

Hibercelona
23-06-2011, 02:21 PM
They're saying that they won't be paying what they think is over the odd's for a player.

But personally, I think they're just skint and the cracks are beginning to show.