PDA

View Full Version : Is the face bovvered?

Hibbyradge
22-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Taking everything into account, loss of face, dour personality, disruption, possible cost implications, poor results last season, new signings etc etc, how troubled will you be if Colin Calderwood leaves to go to Forest?

iwasthere1972
22-06-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm not sitting on the fence and couldn't care less to be truthful.

leither17
22-06-2011, 02:39 PM
if he is going to go hope it is sooner rather than later if he is going to stay then fine

ElginHibbie
22-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I would be slightly bovvered, but as long as we got a good amount of compensation I would quickly get over it

Ernie Cobra
22-06-2011, 02:40 PM
face bovvered, no

Just Jimmy
22-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Not bothered in the slightest. The issue of why, behind the scenes is a problem, however it may well be that the board 'encourage' him to move on as it's an escape route for a guy who cost loads and so far, has been a bit of a flop.

On Calderwood himself; dour, unimpressive, never convincing of his desire or passion to manage the club and results wise, *****.

Over all better, cheaper options tbh.

HibsMax
22-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I would be a little bothered because I don't want us to be looking for yet another new manager.

Hibee Daz
22-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Very bovvered as our club needs stability and this aint gonnae happen with more managerial upheaval.
I hope all the rumours are utter tosh and CC assembles a good squad for the forthcoming season, thus allowing me too bin any lingering doubts that are causing me to stall on renewing my own/families season tickets!

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Not bovvered in the slightest.

Steve20
22-06-2011, 02:56 PM
I would be bothered, as how long would it then take us to appoint a manager? Then the new manager has to decide what positions he thinks the team needs and then decide on players he would like to bring in.

Would all this happen before the season starts four weeks on Sunday?

Pretty Boy
22-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I'd be bothered.

Hibs need staility, we need a manager with a full transfer window to work in and a chance to bring in his own players and install his own style and philosophy.

Changing a manager again midway through a transfer window leaves us with another transistional year or 2 whilst another guy gets 'his own players in', thats if we don't hound him out in that timescale!!

Forget the dour personality, Calderwood is employed as a football manager not a clown, and actually listen to what he says at times. He's a guy i like to listen to, he's articulate, honest about what he sees and seems to have a decent idea where he wants to take the team.

If we fund ourself looking for our 3rd manager in a year then yes i have to say i'd be extremely bovvered.

HibsMax
22-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I would be bothered, as how long would it then take us to appoint a manager? Then the new manager has to decide what positions he thinks the team needs and then decide on players he would like to bring in.

Would all this happen before the season starts four weeks on Sunday?

How long would any new manager be given? I feel that if results didn't go well he would be lucky to get until Christmas.

Why have a manager at all? The official site could just run a poll before every game and let the fans choose. After all, we're always in step. :wink:

JimBHibees
22-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I'd be bothered.

Hibs need staility, we need a manager with a full transfer window to work in and a chance to bring in his own players and install his own style and philosophy.

Changing a manager again midway through a transfer window leaves us with another transistional year or 2 whilst another guy gets 'his own players in', thats if we don't hound him out in that timescale!!

Forget the dour personality, Calderwood is employed as a football manager not a clown, and actually listen to what he says at times. He's a guy i like to listen to, he's articulate, honest about what he sees and seems to have a decent idea where he wants to take the team.

If we fund ourself looking for our 3rd manager in a year then yes i have to say i'd be extremely bovvered.

Completely agree this is exactly what we dont need, stability is required. CC is IMO a decent manager who will turn us round this season.

Andy74
22-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Couldn't care really. We do need stability but I didn't see a thing from the 7 months or so that he has had so far to make me think that this is the guy who has to provide it.

He has un unprecedented opportunity now to do things all his own way with his own set of players so he had better make the most of it if he does stay. No excuses now.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd be bothered.

Here's an idea way out from left field, the new man could just manage what he's inherited, and add whatever he can with the time left in the transfer window? I know its a radical way of thinking, but maybe it will catch on? :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Apart from the timing issue, wouldnae be any great loss.

I don't know about the face, but, I saw Hannibal Smith being interviewed in someones shed and he was fuming! There was the obligatory welding gear in the corner, so, he could probably fashion us a new manager from stuff lying about in the shed!

Steve20
22-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Here's an idea way out from left field, the new man could just manage what he's inherited, and add whatever he can with the time left in the transfer window? I know its a radical way of thinking, but maybe it will catch on? :wink:

Going with the squad he has inherited is not an option, as the squad at the moment is not good enough.

A new manager probably wouldn't know what positions he feels need filling, until hes had a chance to look at the squad himself. Unless he has been watching Hibs closely over the last couple of months which, depending on who the new mananger is, would be doubtful. By that time, we are already into the season.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Has that not bee the problem for too long at Hibs though.

Guys having to manage players who didn't fit in with what they were trying to do. Collins, Mixu, Hughes and now Calderwood have all had the problem to some extent and because of that we have been in almost permanent transition.

Obviously a manager has to manage what he has to an extent unless they are in a situation like Fergie or Wenger. An even more radical way of thinking might be to suggest we actually back a manager and stick by him allowing him time to build and develop his side.

Houchy
22-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I've gone for Wee bit bovvered as I can't be arsed going through any more "transitional seasons" but don't think he's going to bring us football that's easy on the eye and is going to be expensive in bills for my chiropractor to fix my craned neck from watching the ball be hoofed from end to end.:agree:

Houchy
22-06-2011, 03:31 PM
IF CC does go, we need to get in someone experienced (Davis or Strachan) and sign him up for 5 years telling the fans, "he's here for the 5 years, we're not going to sack him and he can't resign without paying a massive fee so just live with it and work with us.:agree:

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Guys having to manage players who didn't fit in with what they were trying to do. Collins, Mixu, Hughes and now Calderwood have all had the problem to some extent and because of that we have been in almost permanent transition.

Obviously a manager has to manage what he has to an extent unless they are in a situation like Fergie or Wenger. An even more radical way of thinking might be to suggest we actually back a manager and stick by him allowing him time to build and develop his side.

No there's an idea that might catch on, or maybe not? :wink:

Pretty Boy
22-06-2011, 03:33 PM
No there's an idea that might catch on, or maybe not? :wink:

I'd guess not if places like here and the bounce are anything to go by:wink:

Andy74
22-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Fans have proven that's not an option unless it's all rosy all of the time.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm all for stability and I don't like the fact that Hibs have had so many managers recently.

However, I just find CC a bit unconvincing. He steadied the ship ok last season but towards the end Hibs were really dreadful at a time when they should have been playing for their careers.

I think we should throw money at JJ. What a coup that would be! Mind you we could have had the greetin' face for nowt a couple of years ago! :devil:

I must have watched a different Hibs, he took over when we were 8th and steadied us into 10th?:rolleyes:

Hibercelona
22-06-2011, 04:09 PM
I'd be pretty pevved off if he left. Its the last thing we need, another passenger manager who was willing to take a step backwards because he didn't feel comfortable at Hibs.

We need stability. With stability comes consistency, with consistency comes results. We've had none of that for which seems like forever.

Big Frank
22-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I'd be abit bovvered. Mainly for Hibernian FC. The last thing we need is more upheaval.

For some unexplained reason, I actually think we have a decent manager, which I accept makes no sense as he's been pretty rank so far. However he must be judged on his own team.

I would lose all respect for him if he bumped Hibernian to be number 2 at forest... who have already sacked him.

If he walked we go for Terry Butcher on a long term deal.:agree:

scoopyboy
22-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I would be a little bothered because I don't want us to be looking for yet another new manager.

My concern as well.

Hibby D
22-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I'd be bothered.

I'd be very bothered for exactly the same reasons.

And because HFC would surely become a 'managerial laughing stock'; if it isn't already.

HibsMax
22-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I must have watched a different Hibs, he took over when we were 8th and steadied us into 10th?:rolleyes:

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is that under Yogi we could have been worse than 10th. It's difficult to try and defend finishing 10th, quite simply because it's indefensible, but I still think it's worth looking at the numbers. I did some research into Hibs results last year (just league) and if we persisted with Yogi, and if the pattern over the first 7 games was repeated throughout the season, then we would have gained a lot less points than the measly 37 that we did get.

Yogi lasted 7 games and got 5 points from them. That's an average of 0.7 points per game. Over a season of 38 games, that's about 27 points. 10 points less than we actually did finish on and 1 above last place. 11th place is hardly that much worse off than 10th so that doesn't actually sound that bad.

Of course, results and patterns don't repeat quite as conveniently as that but in the absence of actual data (because we're forecasting) it's about as good as we can get (without getting increasingly more scientific).

Yes, starting 8th and finishing 10th is not a great achievement. But it's better than being relegated and if you choose to trust the projections, sticking with Yogi would have resulted in us being closer to relegation. Of course, sticking with Yogi may have resulted in us in the Top Six but we don't know that.

I'm not trying to present these numbers as some sort of argument proving anything. If I took Calderwoods first 3 games in charge and projected forward, based on those numbers alone, Hibs wouldn't have gained a point under him. If I use the same yardstick with Calderwood as Yogi i.e., 7 games, here's what we get:
First 7 games under CC = 7 points
Average points per game = 1 point
Games played under CC = 30
Projected points under CC = 30 points
Points before CC joined = 5
Projected points at end of season = 5 + 30 = 35
Actual points at end of season = 37

As I said, none of this proves anything but it's interesting to look through. :)

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 05:13 PM
That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is that under Yogi we could have been worse than 10th. It's difficult to try and defend finishing 10th, quite simply because it's indefensible, but I still think it's worth looking at the numbers. I did some research into Hibs results last year (just league) and if we persisted with Yogi, and if the pattern over the first 7 games was repeated throughout the season, then we would have gained a lot less points than the measly 37 that we did get.

Yogi lasted 7 games and got 5 points from them. That's an average of 0.7 points per game. Over a season of 38 games, that's about 27 points. 10 points less than we actually did finish on and 1 above last place. 11th place is hardly that much worse off than 10th so that doesn't actually sound that bad.

Of course, results and patterns don't repeat quite as conveniently as that but in the absence of actual data (because we're forecasting) it's about as good as we can get (without getting increasingly more scientific).

Yes, starting 8th and finishing 10th is not a great achievement. But it's better than being relegated and if you choose to trust the projections, sticking with Yogi would have resulted in us being closer to relegation. Of course, sticking with Yogi may have resulted in us in the Top Six but we don't know that.

I'm not trying to present these numbers as some sort of argument proving anything. If I took Calderwoods first 3 games in charge and projected forward, based on those numbers alone, Hibs wouldn't have gained a point under him. If I use the same yardstick with Calderwood as Yogi i.e., 7 games, here's what we get:
First 7 games under CC = 7 points
Average points per game = 1 point
Games played under CC = 30
Projected points under CC = 30 points
Points before CC joined = 5
Projected points at end of season = 5 + 30 = 35
Actual points at end of season = 37

As I said, none of this proves anything but it's interesting to look through. :)

As apposed to actually watching hibs last season.

JohnScott
22-06-2011, 05:15 PM

A bit like Calderwood you mean? A man like Calderwood but not Calderwood? I said on here he would be gone within two years. now he might be off within a year. Yeh right lets no be bovvered! :wink:

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 05:21 PM
A bit like Calderwood you mean? A man like Calderwood but not Calderwood? I said on here he would be gone within two years. now he might be off within a year. Yeh right lets no be bovvered! :wink:

Jimmy?:devil:

Beefster
22-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Pie in the sky IMHO - although I'd love it to happen. Calderwood got about 3 weeks before folk were on his back (or harping back for the 'good' old days of Hughes).

basehibby
22-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I'd be bothered.

This pretty much hits it on the head for me - we need stability. OK Calderwood has not set the house on fire in his first 1/2 a season or so, but he achieved his prime objective in ensuring relegation was avoided - if we change manager again now we're back to square one again and it's another lottery as to whether the new man will be a success or not and another bedding in period and change of dressing room culture to be contended with.

So - about losing Calderwood himself I'd be slightly bothered - he's had a mediocre start in the job but has hardly been in the door long enough to pass judgement properly as to his overall capabilities.

About the situation in general of the managerial revolving door which has established itself at Hibs - we've already had Adams leaving recently to go back to the job that Hibs was supposed to be a step up from, so if Calderwood pulls off a similar move I will be wondering just WTF is going on and yes, I will be extremely ****ing Bova'd!

3pm
22-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Out.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 07:04 PM
This pretty much hits it on the head for me - we need stability. OK Calderwood has not set the house on fire in his first 1/2 a season or so, but he achieved his prime objective in ensuring relegation was avoided - if we change manager again now we're back to square one again and it's another lottery as to whether the new man will be a success or not and another bedding in period and change of dressing room culture to be contended with.

So - about losing Calderwood himself I'd be slightly bothered - he's had a mediocre start in the job but has hardly been in the door long enough to pass judgement properly as to his overall capabilities.

About the situation in general of the managerial revolving door which has established itself at Hibs - we've already had Adams leaving recently to go back to the job that Hibs was supposed to be a step up from, so if Calderwood pulls off a similar move I will be wondering just WTF is going on and yes, I will be extremely ****ing Bova'd!

NO NO NO NO NO, Thats just not right.:confused:

sleeping giant
22-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Very Bovvered.

NAE NOOKIE
22-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Dont want to see another manager oot the door after 5 minutes.

I dont know if CC can bring success to Hibs, but what I do worry about is the actual football. He doesnt seem to have been able to address the painfully slow movement of the ball which was the curse of Yogies team and does seem willing to find the answer to this by hoofing the ball over the top.

I have to say that up until now he hasnt exactly expired me, but I do think he should stick it out at least for next season to prove ( I hope ) that he can make Hibs a team worth watching and also successful.

HibsMax
22-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Dont want to see another manager oot the door after 5 minutes.

I dont know if CC can bring success to Hibs, but what I do worry about is the actual football. He doesnt seem to have been able to address the painfully slow movement of the ball which was the curse of Yogies team and does seem willing to find the answer to this by hoofing the ball over the top.

I have to say that up until now he hasnt exactly expired me, but I do think he should stick it out at least for next season to prove ( I hope ) that he can make Hibs a team worth watching and also successful.

I should hope not! First pre-season bust-ups. Now murderous managers!? Watch your back, mate. :wink: