PDA

View Full Version : Team GB/Britain United (merged)

1987kev
21-06-2011, 02:29 PM
On ssn the Gb have agreed to have a a football team for 2012 . I thought sfa were not going for it. Wonder if any our players will get in maybe hanlon.

cwilliamson85
21-06-2011, 02:46 PM
GK - Joe Hart
RB - Glen Johnson
CB - John Terry
CB - Gary Cahill
LB - A. Cole
RM - Ashley Young
CM - Jack Wilshere
CM - Charlie Adam
LM - Gareth Bale
FW - Wayne Rooney
FW - ??

8 English
1 Scot
1 Welsh
1 ??

This is if there are no restrictions on age etc.

Dan Sarf
21-06-2011, 02:48 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm

Footballers from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England will be available for selection for Team GB at the 2012 Olympics.

There has been opposition to all-British teams competing in London from every home nation apart from England.

But the British Olympic Association said an "historic agreement" has now been reached.

"It has been a long, six-year journey to get to this point," said BOA chief executive Andy Hunt.

The thin end of the wedge?

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2011, 02:50 PM
GK - Joe Hart
RB - Glen Johnson
CB - John Terry
CB - Gary Cahill
LB - A. Cole
RM - Ashley Young
CM - Jack Wilshere
CM - Charlie Adam
LM - Gareth Bale
FW - Wayne Rooney
FW - ??

8 English
1 Scot
1 Welsh
1 ??

:faf::faf::top marks

pentlando
21-06-2011, 02:51 PM
GK - Joe Hart
RB - Glen Johnson
CB - John Terry
CB - Gary Cahill
LB - A. Cole
RM - Ashley Young
CM - Jack Wilshere
CM - Charlie Adam
LM - Gareth Bale
FW - Wayne Rooney
FW - ??

8 English
1 Scot
1 Welsh
1 ??

There is, its basically anUnder 23's with two older allowed iirc

PaulSmith
21-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Footballers from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England will be available for selection for Team GB at the 2012 Olympics.

There has been opposition to all-British teams competing in London from every home nation apart from England.

But the British Olympic Association said an "historic agreement" has now been reached.

"It has been a long, six-year journey to get to this point," said BOA chief executive Andy Hunt.

Scottish FA and welsh FA are raging at this statement and confirm that no such agreement exists

scott7_0(Prague)
21-06-2011, 02:53 PM
On ssn the Gb have agreed to have a a football team for 2012 . I thought sfa were not going for it. Wonder if any our players will get in maybe hanlon.

I believe the BOA will select some Scottish players who will politely decline.

MacBean
21-06-2011, 02:54 PM
owever, the BOA announcement has sparked outrage from the Scottish and Welsh FAs.
Scottish Football Association president George Peat told the Press Association: "I am absolutely astounded that they have put out this statement. I know nothing about any such agreement and we want nothing to do with this tournament."
Welsh FA president Phil Pritchard was equally furious, saying the FA had no right to speak on behalf of the other associations on Olympic matters.
Pritchard told the Press Association: "We are not part of any agreement. The FA have no authority to speak on our behalf - they do not represent Wales whatsoever and that's a fact.
"We have not discussed this at any time recently."
The last time Britain competed in an Olympic football event was in 1960, when the men's side failed to win a medal in Rome after beating Taiwan 3-2, drawing 1-1 with Italy and losing 4-3 to Brazil.
Team GB has never fielded a women's football team at an Olympics.

:faf:

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Beckham has been telling anyone who will listen he wants to be involved. There's your captain.

cwilliamson85
21-06-2011, 02:56 PM
:faf::faf::top marks

I had to pick a Scot and he was the only player I could think of who would actually get a game.

It is probably going to be a Englishman that picks the squad so players in the EPL will be picked first.

MacBean
21-06-2011, 02:56 PM
owever, the BOA announcement has sparked outrage from the Scottish and Welsh FAs.
Scottish Football Association president George Peat told the Press Association: "I am absolutely astounded that they have put out this statement. I know nothing about any such agreement and we want nothing to do with this tournament."
Welsh FA president Phil Pritchard was equally furious, saying the FA had no right to speak on behalf of the other associations on Olympic matters.
Pritchard told the Press Association: "We are not part of any agreement. The FA have no authority to speak on our behalf - they do not represent Wales whatsoever and that's a fact.
"We have not discussed this at any time recently."
The last time Britain competed in an Olympic football event was in 1960, when the men's side failed to win a medal in Rome after beating Taiwan 3-2, drawing 1-1 with Italy and losing 4-3 to Brazil.
Team GB has never fielded a women's football team at an Olympics.

:aok:

scott7_0(Prague)
21-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Someone is telling porkies.

Regan emphatic on Team GB
Monday, 20 June 2011

Stewart Regan has reiterated the Scottish FA’s opposition to participation in Team GB despite claims from the British Olympic Association chief executive, Andy Hunt, that he was “incredibly positive” of a fully inclusive squad.

In an exclusive interview with the Scottish FA website, Regan confirmed there have been no discussions with Hunt and no indication of interest from any of the Men’s and Women’s squad players who have been consulted.

"We haven't spoken to Andy Hunt and our position on the matter has not changed," said Regan.

"We have consulted the Association of Tartan Army Supporters Clubs, our Board and also members of the media and there is absolutely no appetite."

You can watch the full interview on the right..

Part/Time Supporter
21-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Someone is telling porkies.

More like the FA have stabbed the other three countries in the back. The four FAs had an agreement for an England-only team to play and now the FA have reneged on that. Some thanks for the SFA backing them over Blatter's reelection.

:rolleyes:

Sodje_18
21-06-2011, 03:09 PM
GK - Craig Gordon :wink:
RB - Glen Johnson
CB - John Terry
CB - Danny Wilson?
LB - A. Cole
RM - Ashley Young
CM - Jack Wilshere
CM - Jack Rodwell
LM - Gareth Bale
FW - Wayne Rooney
FW - Steven Fletcher :greengrin

8 English
1 Scot
1 Welsh
1 ??

Im sure there will be restrictions on the amount of players from each nation in the first team. Anyways it would appear that Scotland and Wales had no idea about this and claim to have not spoken to the English FA.

Septimus
21-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Not much chance of any other than English being picked anyway.

Lost_Mackem
21-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I really don't see what the problem is regarding the SFA not backing a team GB.

Its only a one off, it just seems to be a silly attempt to get up English noses.

Hopefully it does go ahead, too much petty hate north of the border for things that happened hundreds of years ago.

Lost_Mackem
21-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I imagine one of the conditions of there being a team GB will be that team selection gets shared around as equally as possible. So three Englishmen, three Scotsmen, three Welshmen and 2 Northern Irishmen.

Or preferably 4 Englishmen, 3 Scotsmen, 2 Welshmen and 2 Irishmen.

Seanair
21-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Its only a one off, it just seems to be a silly attempt to get up English noses.

Hopefully it does go ahead, too much petty hate north of the border for things that happened hundreds of years ago.

You're so naive or you're on the wind-up, being from Sunderland.:grr:

JimBHibees
21-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Dont agree nothing to do with petty hate at all. It is more to do with a feeling that the other 3 countries could lose their international standing and become one as a UK team in the future. There has long been alot of support in FIFA for a one UK team and not the four that currently exist. With the way that FIFA is run you wouldnt rule it out either.

Scouse Hibee

:top marksWell said that man!

Lost_Mackem
You're so naive or you're on the wind-up, being from Sunderland.:grr:

I am not from Sunderland.

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Dont agree nothing to do with petty hate at all. It is more to do with a feeling that the other 3 countries could lose their international standing and become one as a UK team in the future. There has long been alot of support in FIFA for a one UK team and not the four that currently exist. With the way that FIFA is run you wouldnt rule it out either.

And that's all it is!

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 03:23 PM
I am not from Sunderland.

And neither am I :greengrin

.Sean.
21-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Who cares? International football is the biggest load of pish anyway, I can't say i've ever had any real interest in our national side either.

khib70
21-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Absolutely typical of this bloated, hyped up festival of Home Counties arrogance. Also announced today that the whole of the country outside London will get 50,000 free tickets for schoolchildren. London will get 125,000.

All the guff spouted by oily Little Englander Lord Coe about a "Games for all of the UK" is a pack of lies. In every area - ticket allocation, contracts, legacy arrangements, everything is being poured into the Home Counties trough. And that despite their readiness to blag lottery money from the "regions" (including Scotland) to fund this whole operation.

Only thing more pathetic is the thousands who are sitting with tickets they've paid for, but who don't know what they're for, when or where. Or those who are willing to pay £725 to watch eight guys run for nine seconds.

We shouldn't touch this farce with a bargepole, and the arrogance of the Olympic crew putting this out over the heads of national football bodies beggars belief.

7 Up
21-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Absolutely outrageous that the FA/BOA feel entitled to go behind the backs of the other associations and proclaim an agreement that clearly doesn't exist. And people still wonder why the SFA are dubious about the intentions of the FA/BOA!

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Absolutely typical of this bloated, hyped up festival of English arrogance. Also announced today that the whole of the country outside London will get 50,000 free tickets for schoolchildren. London will get 125,000.

All the guff spouted by oily Little Englander Lord Coe about a "Games for all of the UK" is a pack of lies. In every area - ticket allocation, contracts, legacy arrangements, everything is being poured into the Home Counties trough. And that despite their readiness to blag lottery money from the "regions" (including Scotland) to fund this whole operation.

Only thing more pathetic is the thousands who are sitting with tickets they've paid for, but who don't know what they're for, when or where. Or those who are willing to pay £725 to watch eight guys run for nine seconds.

We shouldn't touch this farce with a bargepole, and the arrogance of the Olympic crew putting this out over the heads of national football bodies beggars belief.

And there in black and white is the truth of the matter! It's still alive even today. Pathetic.

1987kev
21-06-2011, 03:28 PM
SFA saying they want nothing to do with the team :confused:

Saorsa
Absolutely typical of this bloated, hyped up festival of English arrogance. Also announced today that the whole of the country outside London will get 50,000 free tickets for schoolchildren. London will get 125,000.

We shouldn't touch this farce with a bargepole, and the arrogance of the Olympic crew putting this out over the heads of national football bodies beggars belief.:top marks

Lost_Mackem
And there in black and white is the truth of the matter! It's still alive even today.

Pathetic isn't it?

hibbytam
21-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't want anything to threaten the existence of the Scottish national team, and regardless of what anyone says, that is what will happen if the SFA was to allow a true 'gb' team.

As for the 'assurances' from FIFA and Blatter. They're hardly trustworthy, either as individuals or as an organisation.

Though I don't see why they didn't make a mini tournament between the u-21s of the four nations, and the winner represents GB at the olympics.

Gettin' Auld
21-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Pish.......Never believe anything FIFA say - It aint just Scotland. You might lose your right to a seperate Engerlund team permanently too!!

The only reason you lot give a toss about Olympic football just now is because you're friggin hosting it.

khib70
21-06-2011, 03:30 PM
And there in black and white is the truth of the matter! It's still alive even today. Pathetic.
Post edited, sorry!

Easy to think it's pathetic when you're on the side that always wins, though

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Pathetic isn't it?

No escaping it up here unfortunately!

Lucius Apuleius
21-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Pathetic isn't it?

Absolutely nothing to do with pathetic pal. The same theory in "lets have an Edinburgh" team. The engerlish FA can **** right off as far as I am concerned.

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Post edited, sorry!

Is that the only reason, have a think about that eh!

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Absolutely nothing to do with pathetic pal. The same theory in "lets have an Edinburgh" team. The engerlish FA can **** right off as far as I am concerned.

You and lots more, don't worry it's already a known fact.

Lost_Mackem
21-06-2011, 03:35 PM
No escaping it up here unfortunately!

Unfortunately there are still many people out there who will hate you just because of where you were born or because of what accent you speak with.

Backwards attitudes still prevail.

Even sadder when you speak to people down here who have nothing but positive things to say about Scotland/Scottish people.

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Pish.......Never believe anything FIFA say - It aint just Scotland. You might lose your right to a seperate Engerlund team permanently too!!

The only reason you lot give a toss about Olympic football just now is because you're friggin hosting it.

And another one!

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately there are still many people out there who will hate you just because of where you were born or because of what accent you speak with.

Even sadder when you speak to people down here who have nothing but positive things to say about Scotland/Scottish people.

Have tried that argument but it's not true apparently :rolleyes:

easty
21-06-2011, 03:38 PM

People probably hate you for talking pish to be honest...:agree:

Saorsa
21-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Hopefully it does go ahead, too much petty hate north of the border for things that happened hundreds of years ago.Is that why the SFA backed the FA just recently in their bid tae get the FIFA presidency election postponed? I hope they recognise their mistake there and dinnae back the back stabbing *******s again.

There are many within FIFA opposed tae the home nations and if you think the guarantees of that bunch of shysters are any sort guarantees at all (particularly after the above), that the existence of this team GB poses nae threat tae that then I think you are being very naive, this will be used as one more reason to oppose them. The arrogance of the FA/BOA in announcing that there is any sort of agreement is breath taking but no in the least bit surprising.

I've never backed the SFA on much because in the main I think they are also a shower of ***** but I back them all the way with this.

easty
21-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Have tried that argument but it's not true apparently :rolleyes:

I lived in England for 3 years. It's not true.

Lost_Mackem
21-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I lived in England for 3 years. It's not true.

I'm sorry but I have never really came across any Englishman who bangs on about hating the Scottish, obviously you will get the odd nutter here and there...

Care to share your experiences?

Lucius Apuleius
21-06-2011, 03:50 PM
You and lots more, don't worry it's already a known fact.

Not a clue what the hell this means, but lets put it in nice easy words. We, as in Scotland, do not want to be part of a Great Britain team. I see nothing at all wrong with being called British, I am British. I do have a problem being called engerlish, I am not engerlish. We are a group of nations joined togerther geographically (as is the European Union). Scotland, whether you like it or not is a nation in its own right. Please remember it was our king who took over the engerlish throne, not the other way about. As soon as we have a GB team, FIFA will be over us like a rash and team GB will become reality. This will rapidly become team engerland. Scotland may be *****, but it is our *****, and we want to keep it that way (just a little bit less *****r)

Ritchie
21-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I had to pick a Scot and he was the only player I could think of who would actually get a game.

It is probably going to be a Englishman that picks the squad so players in the EPL will be picked first.

think darren fletcher would be picked ahead of adam!

Hainan Hibs
21-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Jesus, get the violins out :faf:

With the free education, free prescriptions, and free everything else that "that lot" (just to wind you up a bit more:greengrin) have to pay for the "hatred" has been flowing northwards far more than it has south. Throw a SNP majority into the mix and some of the comments from certain newspapers were truly shocking.

On "Team GB". The FA can **** off. End of.

ancient hibee
21-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Plenty of Scots have played in Great British teams including I think at the 1960 Olympics.Don't remember the world coming to an end.

Andy74
21-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Hanlon? You are serious?

JimBHibees
21-06-2011, 03:58 PM
And that's all it is!

Nope wrong again, many international representatives have openly questioned why the UK get 4 teams. David Will one time Vice Preseident of FIFA has reported back this view and the SFA has wished to maintain their autonomy.

The arrogance of an FA and a British Olympic Head to give the opinion that the other FA's have agreed with this is breathtaking arrogance which is nothing at all to do with whether they are English or not however the other FA's have every right to be well hacked off.

For your information the SFA CEO is from Yorkshire.

easty
21-06-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm sorry but I have never really came across any Englishman who bangs on about hating the Scottish, obviously you will get the odd nutter here and there...

Care to share your experiences?

They called me like "big Jock *******" and said things like "hey you, you jock ****".

I spent most of the 3 years watching Still Game DVD's while on the phone to my mum crying about the abuse I was getting.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2011, 03:59 PM
How is this going to work around Euro 2012?

Ed De Gramo
21-06-2011, 04:10 PM
They called me like "big Jock *******" and said things like "hey you, you jock ****".

I spent most of the 3 years watching Still Game DVD's while on the phone to my mum crying about the abuse I was getting.

Don't forget the Shortbread :greengrin

Ed De Gramo
21-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Typical actions from the FA.....bunch of rats :agree:

I'm not the Scotland national team's biggest fan but I wouldn't want us to lose our identity.

Mind you if it did happen...when the 'GB' team lose....it'll be everyone except the English players fault :wink:

--------
21-06-2011, 04:17 PM

:top marksWell said that man!

You pair can carry on your patronising duologue for as long as you like.

The reason the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FA's don't want drawn into a 'Team GB' for this Olympics or any other Olympics is that if the precedent is set of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (that's the correct name of the country at present BTW) entering a single team in international tournaments is established, then UEFA and FIFA might just decide to withdraw their recognition of those associations - which would lead to the demise of those associations.

As Jim has already said.

And it does seem daft to me for the FA to try a takeover of the other associations just when Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland are in process of gaining more autonomy and independence from the Westminster government.

And EVERYTHING you're saying about Scots applies equally to English. What nationality's Nick Griffin again? Where does the BNP get most of their votes? Where does UKIP get most of THEIR votes? Funny how English Unionists/Little Englanders hate the idea of a Union when it means England being in the EU, but suddenly discover what a wonderful thing a UNION is when it comes to asserting Westminster authority over the Jocks, the Taffs and the Paddies, hm?

Musselbound
21-06-2011, 04:37 PM

And here was me thinking they hadn't won anything since 1966.

Hanlon? You are serious?

Will need to get near a Scotland team first! O'Hanlon probably has about as much chance of being named at the moment.

On the subject itself, the SFA says it's against it but wouldn't stop individuals from taking part if they wanted. That's probably about right as national identity should be the individual's choice in my opinion.

hibsbollah
21-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Gordon Smith has been on five live talking complete ballcocks to claire balding, who clearly thought she.would be talking to someone with half a brain cell. Apparently football shouldnt be an olympic sport at all. Hes an embarassment and does our argument no favours at all.

lucky
21-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Absolutely delighted. The four nations of the UK coming together under one football banner for the Olympics is excellent. We cheer on the rest of our athletes at the games so why not football. Looking forward to it now. But wonder how many from each nation will make the squad. Beckham has also indicated he would like to be part of the squad as one of 3 over 23 players. Remember its sport not politics as such small minded nationalism should not be allowed to impact on a wonderful sporting occasion.

JimBHibees
21-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Absolutely delighted. The four nations of the UK coming together under one football banner for the Olympics is excellent. We cheer on the rest of our athletes at the games so why not football. Looking forward to it now. But wonder how many from each nation will make the squad. Beckham has also indicated he would like to be part of the squad as one of 3 over 23 players. Remember its sport not politics as such small minded nationalism should not be allowed to impact on a wonderful sporting occasion.

Except one forgot to tell the other 3 that was the case.

BoltonHibee
21-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Gordon Smith has been on five live talking complete ballcocks to claire balding, who clearly thought she.would be talking to someone with half a brain cell. Apparently football shouldnt be an olympic sport at all. Hes an embarassment and does our argument no favours at all.

I think he is right though.

Why on earth football, along with some other sports is an Olympic event is beyond me.

Betty Boop
21-06-2011, 04:59 PM

I heard him. I'm sure he said football shouldn't be included because it is a professional sport?

pentlando
21-06-2011, 05:00 PM
For me, I am Scottish within a Union of nations. We are the joint oldest international team in the world along with England. Therefore i see no reason to retreat our national side into the union in order to play in, what is frankly, a second class international tournament. I feel its not as big a deal for England and their F.A. as they are majorly dominant over the other nations, in terms of ability, population and power. It would be similar if FIFA said that states within the European Union could only play as part of that Union in the next World Cup. For me its the same thing.

Also on a side note, I don't think i could bear to see Scottish players standing there having God Save The Queen played.

khib70
21-06-2011, 05:19 PM
You pair can carry on your patronising duologue for as long as you like.

The reason the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FA's don't want drawn into a 'Team GB' for this Olympics or any other Olympics is that if the precedent is set of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (that's the correct name of the country at present BTW) entering a single team in international tournaments is established, then UEFA and FIFA might just decide to withdraw their recognition of those associations - which would lead to the demise of those associations.

As Jim has already said.

And it does seem daft to me for the FA to try a takeover of the other associations just when Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland are in process of gaining more autonomy and independence from the Westminster government.

And EVERYTHING you're saying about Scots applies equally to English. What nationality's Nick Griffin again? Where does the BNP get most of their votes? Where does UKIP get most of THEIR votes? Funny how English Unionists/Little Englanders hate the idea of a Union when it means England being in the EU, but suddenly discover what a wonderful thing a UNION is when it comes to asserting Westminster authority over the Jocks, the Taffs and the Paddies, hm?
:top marks

Amazing how quickly they play the race card when no one was having a go at English people, but at the English/British establishment, whose Home Counties branch have hijacked this event as a sort of royal wedding with running shoes.

And of course there's resentment against the Anglo establishment. Three hundred years of being shafted by the neighbourhood bully tends to get people a bit ticked off. Not at English people, but at England the knackered former "world power", trying desperately to hang on to the last shreds of Empire.

hibsbollah
21-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I heard him. I'm sure he said football shouldn't be included because it is a professional sport?

...which is ridiculous. The olympics is a major football event for lots of countries, just because the home nations dont get involved shouldnt prejudice that. He was also banging on about it being 'prejudicial' that it was for under 23s only. Smith is just a clown. Also, tennis is also professional and is taken v seriously...IIRC Federer considered it to be the 5th major.

Betty Boop
21-06-2011, 05:21 PM
...which is ridiculous. The olympics is a major football event for lots of countries, just because the home nations dont get involved shouldnt prejudice that. He was also banging on about it being 'prejudicial' that it was for under 23s only. Smith is just a clown. Also, tennis is also professional and is taken v seriously...IIRC Federer considered it to be the 5th major.

Agreed ! :greengrin

Gus
21-06-2011, 05:47 PM
whooooft, this is something people are clearly passionate about......great

It's a football forum so fair play have it out, but it is pretty simple

England have said that team GB is gonna happen, but now the Scottish/Welsh/Irish/IOW that no such agreement is in place.

Maybe it is the bully next door doing what "they" have been doing for 300 years,yawn, but I think people would be quite niave just to blame the English over the release of this statement.

I personally couldn't give a flying grown up cuddle. I am English and I personally would like to see england represented at the 2012 as it is in london. (football being played up here also)

Can you imagine if the FA had said, England under 21's :faf: :faf:would be representing the UK........oh my this thread would go into meltdown.

"who do the little engerlanders think they are"

Lets be honest, I could not name 22 players under 23 that were at a good level to do any damage and thats across the three associations.

Scottish:

Darren Fletcher (to old)
Steven Fletcher
Charlie Adam

Welsh;

Gareth Bale (one good season)
Aaron Ramsey

Northern Irish:

I don't know

English:

Jones
Smalling
Rodwell

Thats its for me

H18sry
21-06-2011, 05:51 PM
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2111&newsID=8002

Joint statement on Team GB
Tuesday, 21 June 2011

The Football Associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland reiterate our collective opposition to Team GB participation at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, contrary to the media release issued by the British Olympic Association today.

We have been consistently clear in explaining the reason for our stance, principally to protect the identity of each national association. With that in mind, we cannot support nor formally endorse the approach that has been proposed by the Football Association.

We have stressed this in communications to them and are disappointed that this has been ignored in the media release. No discussions took place with any of us, far less historic agreement been reached, prior to the statement from the BOA being released.

The Associations are committed to supporting the individual Home Nations playing all representative football under their respective flags as independent members of FIFA and UEFA. This position has been endorsed by supporters of all Home Nations, who have been consulted throughout this process.

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive

Jonathan Ford, FA of Wales Chief Executive

Patrick Nelson, Irish FA Chief Executive :thumbsup:

Betty Boop
21-06-2011, 05:58 PM
What would happen if a Scottish player was picked and wanted to play for team
GB ?

mon the cabbage
21-06-2011, 05:59 PM
with no restrictions

Gordon/ Hart

Hutton Terry carragher Cole

Young Fletcher Gerrard Bale

Rooney Fletcher

Whos-the-poster
21-06-2011, 06:05 PM

YES YES YES :top marks

Saorsa
21-06-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2111&newsID=8002

Joint statement on Team GB
Tuesday, 21 June 2011

The Football Associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland reiterate our collective opposition to Team GB participation at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, contrary to the media release issued by the British Olympic Association today.

We have been consistently clear in explaining the reason for our stance, principally to protect the identity of each national association. With that in mind, we cannot support nor formally endorse the approach that has been proposed by the Football Association.

We have stressed this in communications to them and are disappointed that this has been ignored in the media release. No discussions took place with any of us, far less historic agreement been reached, prior to the statement from the BOA being released.

The Associations are committed to supporting the individual Home Nations playing all representative football under their respective flags as independent members of FIFA and UEFA. This position has been endorsed by supporters of all Home Nations, who have been consulted throughout this process.

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive

Jonathan Ford, FA of Wales Chief Executive

Patrick Nelson, Irish FA Chief Executive :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

NYHibby
21-06-2011, 06:07 PM
What I don't get is what the FA/BOA hoped to gain from their statement and how they thought this would play out. Did they expect it would increase the pressure on the other 3 and they would be forced to fold? It doesn't seem to be working.

HH81
21-06-2011, 06:09 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So then Dan you will be clapping the UK football team onto the field come 2012 then :greengrin:wink:

CropleyWasGod
21-06-2011, 06:10 PM

So why call it Team GB? To do so is to show great disrespect for the people of Northern Ireland. THAT is small-minded, and IMO ignorant.

ballengeich
21-06-2011, 06:11 PM

The argument that football should be excluded because it's professional is ridiculous as all sports are now professional at top level, even if some pretend otherwise.

However, the Olympics are supposed to be an event at which the best in the world compete for the medals. In football this is not the case as the event is restricted to mainly under 23 teams. That's why imo it should not be an Olympic sport.

Saorsa
21-06-2011, 06:13 PM
So then Dan you will be clapping the UK football team onto the field come 2012 then :greengrin:wink:Of course John :wink:

Brebners Bookie
21-06-2011, 06:24 PM

The problem is that FIFA have long stated that a team GB could jeopardise each FA's independant status in future competitions.

nothing to do with "petty hate"
dont flatter yourself

Dashing Bob S
21-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Absolutely typical of this bloated, hyped up festival of Home Counties arrogance. Also announced today that the whole of the country outside London will get 50,000 free tickets for schoolchildren. London will get 125,000.

Great post, and I agree with every word. But, whoever you are , it was wrong of you to have hacked into Khibs70's account, and I can't condone that sort of behaviour!

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 06:35 PM
The problem is that FIFA have long stated that a team GB could jeopardise each FA's independant status in future competitions.

nothing to do with "petty hate"
dont flatter yourself

No they haven't. The FIFA committee said quite the opposite in response to a statement made by Sepp Blatter!

Haymaker
21-06-2011, 06:40 PM
No they haven't. The FIFA committee said quite the opposite in response to a statement made by Sepp Blatter!

I am sure that other FIFA members have commented on "why" we should have different FAs. Argentina commented on it the other week IIRC. If it goes ahead this will snowball.

Bishop Hibee
21-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Any Scottish player who is stupid enough to sign up for "Team GB" can expect a pretty frosty reception from the TA at Hampden that's for sure.

Thin end of the wedge and given the hatred at FIFA for the F.A's of the home nations at present, look out for moves to create a Great Britain and Northern Ireland team soon.

Personally, I'll be supporting any country who plays against Team GB/glorified England u23 team. Before the "you must hate England/English people" comments come in, I lived in England for 4 years, my youngest son was born in England and I have have many good English friends. Hate the English football team, not England :agree:

Brebners Bookie
21-06-2011, 06:43 PM

correct, sorry

what i meant is that backing from FIFA isnt unanymous and some influential members are opposed to the idea and would push for the four FA's to become 1 in the future.

given the rotten state if FIFA i wouldnt want to risk Blatter going back on his word again just for what is essentially an u23 tourny.

my main point was that opposition has nothing to do with the rest sticking it up the ingurlish, the SFA have just backed the FA in abstaining from the blatter vote remember.

JimBHibees
21-06-2011, 06:46 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/01/fifa-sepp-blatter-england-scotland-ireland-wales-fa-home-nations

Hmm, David Will was Vice President of FIFA and obviously had an idea of the general opinion of FIFA members which is good enough for me especially given how popular mainly England are with FIFA in general this is IMO a very risky route.

Dashing Bob S
21-06-2011, 06:47 PM

This however, is exactly what the Olympic games and this decision is about. It's the same old, the authorities can't just get on with it and have a sporting occasion, without using it as opportunity for social engineering.

You'd have to be blind not to recognise that the concept of 'Britain' has been in political decline for a good number of decades. People are now much prone to see themselves primarily as English, Scots, Irish or Welsh. This a pathetic attempt to graft a flag-waving Union Jack nationalism onto us all, which will only be subsumed into 'Englishness' as this the biggest constituent part of the UK, and the only one our sporting and general broadcast media are interested in.

But all it will do is create a reaction against what it trying to achieve. Thankfully, social forces are too strong and dynamic to be controlled by a few self-serving, flag-waving buffoons in the corridors of power.

The worse thing is that many idiots actually take the intentions of these bodies at face value.

They can stick their patronsing crap up their holes.

JimBHibees
21-06-2011, 06:48 PM
correct, sorry

what i meant is that backing from FIFA isnt unanymous and some influential members are opposed to the idea and would push for the four FA's to become 1 in the future.

given the rotten state if FIFA i wouldnt want to risk Blatter going back on his word again just for what is essentially an u23 tourny.
my main point was that opposition has nothing to do with the rest sticking it up the ingurlish, the SFA have just backed the FA in abstaining from the blatter vote remember.

Blatter warned about this in 2009. Sounds good enough for me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/01/fifa-sepp-blatter-england-scotland-ireland-wales-fa-home-nations

Brebners Bookie
21-06-2011, 06:50 PM

read this.

end of.

Seanair
21-06-2011, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Lost_Mackem;2835637]I'm sorry but I have never really came across any Englishman who bangs on about hating the Scottish, obviously you will get the odd nutter here and there...

Care to share your experiences?[/QUOT

Sorry for assuming you CAME from Sunderland.

Here is a wee story from my experience in London. "Why are Sweaty Socks (Jocks) like piles? if they come down and go back of their own accord, they're fine. if they come down and stay down they're a pain in the arse."
Quite funny, but often heard. Rather rude wouldn't you say? And that's what's being English is all about--being contemptuous of all other nationalities. The English have a derogatory nickname for all other nations/races--the French,Germans, Australians etc, etc. It's this "superiority" which people of other countries dislike.

Saorsa
21-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I'd rather lie in a pit of rattle snakes than take the likes of Blatter and his cronies at their word, a bigger bunch of shysters you're unlikely tae find. The FA's attempt tae halt Blatter's re-election and the clowns at the SFA's decision tae back them winnae have helped.

Trust Blatter! aye, about as far as I could throw a grand piano.

Future17
21-06-2011, 07:04 PM
The Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FA's are opposed to the idea for the reasons stated (i.e. losing their individual association status to be replaced by a "FA of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" or something similar).

However, realistically the associations can't stop players playing for a GB&NI team at the Olympics.

The Olympics are recognised by FIFA. The individual FA's are members of FIFA. The rules of the tournament, including age restrictions and national selection criteria, are set by the International Olympic Committee and jointly ratified by FIFA, in the same way that FIFA do for any other international tournament.

If the indiviudal associations made any attempt to prevent players playing for a GB&NI team in the Olympics, they would be potentially be liable for imposing an unfair restriction of trade.

Bottom line, they can't publicly support it, but they can't fight it legally and win either. I fully expect to see players from all associations included in the squad come 2012 with no repercussions for the players concerned.

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=Lost_Mackem;2835637]I'm sorry but I have never really came across any Englishman who bangs on about hating the Scottish, obviously you will get the odd nutter here and there...

Care to share your experiences?[/QUOT

Sorry for assuming you CAME from Sunderland.

Here is a wee story from my experience in London. "Why are Sweaty Socks (Jocks) like piles? if they come down and go back of their own accord, they're fine. if they come down and stay down they're a pain in the arse."
Quite funny, but often heard. Rather rude wouldn't you say? And that's what's being English is all about--being contemptuous of all other nationalities. The English have a derogatory nickname for all other nations/races--the French,Germans, Australians etc, etc. It's this "superiority" which people of other countries dislike.

So you came across a bit of stick/banter in England did you! Interesting term "The English" that you use and then you state about what being English is all about and mention contempt for all other nationalities :rolleyes:. God forbid if we ever hear a derogitary name for another nation in Scotland eh! I'm English and I don't feel superior in any way!

Dashing Bob S
21-06-2011, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=Seanair;2835841]

So you came across a bit of stick/banter in England did you! Interesting term "The English" that you use and then you state about what being English is all about and mention contempt for all other nationalities :rolleyes:. God forbid if we ever hear a derogitary name for another nation in Scotland eh! I'm English and I don't feel superior in any way!

But be fair, you're Scouse. They are scarcely regarded as human, let alone English, by the rest of England, particularly the home counties.

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;2835865]

But be fair, you're Scouse. They are scarcely regarded as human, let alone English, by the rest of England, particularly the home counties.

:top marks:faf:

hibsbollah
21-06-2011, 07:48 PM
that's what's being English is all about--being contemptuous of all other nationalities. The English have a derogatory nickname for all other nations/races--the French,Germans, Australians etc, etc. It's this "superiority" which people of other countries dislike.

Oh aye, 'all the english are the same, they stereotype all other countries':rolleyes:

What a load of bollocks. And I take it you know how unintentionally funny it is.

Gus
21-06-2011, 07:56 PM
i'm english and i am superior :devil:

ronaldo7
21-06-2011, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;2835865]

I think he's an evertonian to boot:aok:

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2011, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Dashing Bob S;2835885]

I think he's an evertonian to boot:aok:

Steady!

Septimus
22-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Supposing that a Team UK does take part how much of the TV money will end up in the SFA coffers and even more to the point how much will end up in the Hibs bank?

The problem is that when dealing with the English you are not dealing with a nation as such but a polyglot bunch who are frogs south of London and Geordies north of that hub of Empire with perhaps a few wurzle gummidges in between.

As the Calcutta Englishman of 26th Nov 1904 put it
"The Scottish race has two virtues which are not soon likely to forsake it. It is intensely patriotic; and it is fraternal to the point at which sentiment ceases to be such, and becomes almost a religion. The Scottish have a national idea which the English have lost or never attained." (Modern Scottish History Vol 2, P 29 Dundee University)

aberhibsfc
22-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Liar Kingston might fancy his chances.

Romanov can handle the budget, he owes it to himself.

Woody1985
22-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I somehow deleted my comment earlier in the thread.

My original point, which I think has now been stated, is that the SFA cannot legally prevent players from joining but the players at a recent meeting said they don't want to join up.

Although I believe Bale has said that he'd play because Wales don't have a chance of getting to an international tournament.

I also believe that Blatter had a thinly veiled threat to the home nations over the recent attempts to block the vote.

I've just has a quick search online and it may have been the VP that said it.

http://sport.scotsman.com/international/Failed-bid-to-block-Blatter.6778814.jp

I'm sure there were other quotes on how the FA and the other nations need to act 'responsibly' given their status and the privileges they enjoy.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I cant see the problem? Every other sport we compete in the olympics is under the GB flag. Football should be no different. This argument thast FIFA would then want us to do the same for world cups and the likes is just waffle. Does anyone think the English FA would want this? They would be against it just as much as we would, or the Welsh and Northern Irish.

Twa Cairpets
22-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I cant see the problem? Every other sport we compete in the olympics is under the GB flag. Football should be no different. This argument thast FIFA would then want us to do the same for world cups and the likes is just waffle. Does anyone think the English FA would want this? They would be against it just as much as we would, or the Welsh and Northern Irish.

It doesnt matter what happens in the world of dressage or kayaking or cycling, because without disparaging the competitors in these sports, they are in a microscopically small world of competition, participants and interest compared to football. We've seen over the past few months pretty damning evidence of corruption within FIFA, and I have less faith than you that votes aren't for sale to deprive Scotland (and the others) of a national football identity, especially if there was some kind of modern precedent set that they could fall back on to justify the move.

It wouldn't matter in the slightest if England were against it if the rest of the world was for it.

basehibby
22-06-2011, 11:28 AM

I would have thought the best plan would be to play an under 21/23s home international tourney every four years with the winning side representing GB at the Olympics - that way no "team GB" would actually be necessary and the home associations could argue this point with FIFA.

PS - the notion that our footballing independance is under threat is NOT waffle - the home nations are in a privaledged position in this respect and no mistake - taking this privaledge for granted would be a great recipe for losing it.

flash
22-06-2011, 11:35 AM
If Team GB means the end of international fitba then bring it on.

Saorsa
22-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I cant see the problem? Every other sport we compete in the olympics is under the GB flag. Football should be no different. This argument thast FIFA would then want us to do the same for world cups and the likes is just waffle. Does anyone think the English FA would want this? They would be against it just as much as we would, or the Welsh and Northern Irish.They're probably to arrogant tae think the rest of world fitba would act against them. There are plenty within FIFA who are against the home nations and plenty willing tae vote against their existence whether the English FA would like tae believe that they're untouchable or not and there's nowt they could do about it. Team GB would just be another stick for them tae hit us with and unlike the English FA the others can see that.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 11:44 AM
It doesnt matter what happens in the world of dressage or kayaking or cycling, because without disparaging the competitors in these sports, they are in a microscopically small world of competition, participants and interest compared to football. We've seen over the past few months pretty damning evidence of corruption within FIFA, and I have less faith than you that votes aren't for sale to deprive Scotland (and the others) of a national football identity, especially if there was some kind of modern precedent set that they could fall back on to justify the move.

It wouldn't matter in the slightest if England were against it if the rest of the world was for it.

I would have thought the best plan would be to play an under 21/23s home international tourney every four years with the winning side representing GB at the Olympics - that way no "team GB" would actually be necessary and the home associations could argue this point with FIFA.

PS - the notion that our footballing independance is under threat is NOT waffle - the home nations are in a privaledged position in this respect and no mistake - taking this privaledge for granted would be a great recipe for losing it.

I dont believe there is any chance FIFA will merge the 4 nations together if we play a uk side in the olympics. Do you have any proof this will happen?

Saorsa
22-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I dont believe there is any chance FIFA will merge the 4 nations together if we play a uk side in the olympics. Do you have any proof this will happen?Do you have any it winnae?

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Do you have any it winnae?

No???

Saorsa
22-06-2011, 11:59 AM
No???and neither do I. It cannae be proven one way or the other by anybody on here whether it will or winnae happen so your initial question asking for proof was daft. There is however evidence of high up people within FIFA who are opposed tae the home nations so IMO it's not worth the risk of giving them any mair ammunition and I fully back the other FA's in their decision tae boycott this. .

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 12:03 PM
and neither do I. It cannae be proven one way or the other by anybody on here whether it will or winnae happen so your initial question asking for proof was daft. There is however evidence of high up people within FIFA who are opposed tae the home nations so IMO it's not worth the risk of giving them any mair ammunition and I fully back the other FA's in their decision tae boycott this. .

I dont believe for one minute we will suddenly become 1 united team because we play under the uk banner in the olympics. I'm pretty sure the English would never agree to it if this was the case.

Again i cant see a problem, apart from it should be amateurs not professionals.

Woody1985
22-06-2011, 12:09 PM
and neither do I. It cannae be proven one way or the other by anybody on here whether it will or winnae happen so your initial question asking for proof was daft. There is however evidence of high up people within FIFA who are opposed tae the home nations so IMO it's not worth the risk of giving them any mair ammunition and I fully back the other FA's in their decision tae boycott this. .

:agree:

I'd also add that the FA are less likely to care than the other nations are because they will most likely make up the majority of any hypothetical squads anyway. Any new potential FA would naturally be in London/wherever it is now.

Basically it would be England rebadged.

BH, I don't think it would happen overnight but it would raise a very high profile questions. I believe the African, Carribbean (sp), German (Bavaria or some section want atonomy) and Spanish (Basque) have already questioned this. Possibly Argentina as well.

Fuel to the fire.

--------
22-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Like we can believe everything the FIFA committee have said?

Or that the FIFA committe can't change its mind under pressure from other associations like UEFA and CONCACAF?

correct, sorry

Exactly, BB.

The SFA backed the FA when the FA asked them to.

Now the FA come out with a unilateral announcement about a matter which has been discussed over and over, effectively overturning or ignoring the often-previously stated position of the Football Associations of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

If it looks like arrogance, feels like arrogance, smells like arrogance and tastes like arrogance, why, I think it's a safe bet it IS arrogance.

It's not about "hating the English". It's about preserving one of the few national institutions we have left, heaven help us.

We've also recently had an ENGLISH "Supreme Court" set up by Westminster overturning decisions of our own High Court of Justiciary - Scots Law has always been independent of English law, but no longer, it seems. Yet I seem to recall that the Judiciary wasn't one of the areas retained within the remit of the said Westminster Parliament. It was devolved to Holyrood. :grr:

mickki40
22-06-2011, 12:12 PM
All three associations have notified us in writing that they acknowledge that legally we are entitled to support the BOA in the selection process.’

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/867104-english-fa-hits-back-at-home-nations-over-team-gb-announcement#ixzz1Q6HS9TAN

I wonder what /who wrote to the FA. I shall contact the EFA and try to find out.

Woody1985
22-06-2011, 12:14 PM
These bunch of ****bags just gave a World Cup to Qatar FFS. If they can make that happen they can make the home nations merge into one.

I've not seen the act that was signed in the 50's or whenever but I'm guessing a FIFA lawyer or the like could probably rip it apart overnight.

Woody1985
22-06-2011, 12:18 PM
All three associations have notified us in writing that they acknowledge that legally we are entitled to support the BOA in the selection process.’

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/867104-english-fa-hits-back-at-home-nations-over-team-gb-announcement#ixzz1Q6HS9TAN

I wonder what /who wrote to the FA. I shall contact the EFA and try to find out.

I had put this in my first post on the thread, basically because we legally we can't block it and have acknowleged that they've reworded it so that we agree.

Smoke and mirrors. **** the FA. They're going to do what they want anyway.

They have a mandate to pick who they want and cannot discriminate due to selection criteria. That is not a historic agreement, it's a legal technicality. ********s.

mickki40
22-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I have contacted EFA to clarify the situation. I am waiting with unbaited breath. I think the whole squad should be taken from Amateur teams, in keeping with the olympic spirit. And an even representation from all countries on the actual pitch. obviously one nation to have 2 players on the pitch. I seriously do not think this would be a demise of the 4 Nations as such within EUFA OR FIFA.Just keep it amateur

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 01:08 PM
I have contacted EFA to clarify the situation. I am waiting with unbaited breath. I think the whole squad should be taken from Amateur teams, in keeping with the olympic spirit. And an even representation from all countries on the actual pitch. obviously one nation to have 2 players on the pitch. I seriously do not think this would be a demise of the 4 Nations as such within EUFA OR FIFA.Just keep it amateur

PeeJay
22-06-2011, 01:38 PM
II think the whole squad should be taken from Amateur teams, in keeping with the olympic spirit.

Professionals have been allowed to enter since 1988? No need to pretend it's an amateur competition anymore, surely?

McIntosh
22-06-2011, 02:58 PM
If it is up to the players, ban for life any player who decides to play for "Team GB" from playing for Scotland. That should focus their minds.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 03:16 PM
If it is up to the players, ban for life any player who decides to play for "Team GB" from playing for Scotland. That should focus their minds.

Thats silly, if i was good enough to represent my team at the olympics and they wanted me. I'd be furious if they did that, and probably tell them to stick it up their erse?

mickki40
22-06-2011, 03:49 PM
I got this from the EFA. A standard reply I think

Dear Mick,

Thank you for contacting the Football Association.

Further to the BOA statement regarding the Team GB football at The Olympics, FA General Secretary Alex Horne said last night: "We have been very clear since the Olympic games were awarded to London that The FA is committed to Team GB football teams.

"We have been flexible in working with the BOA and other Home Nations regarding the makeup and selection for these teams being a collective of all home nations, or all English sides.

"It is clear that under the Olympic Charter there has to be a non-discriminatory selection process for all players. These are not The FA rules.

"We are sensitive to the concerns of the other Home Associations in relation to each of our individual identities, and we have been assured by FIFA there is no threat to each association. However, as an organisation The FA has been mandated by the BOA to organise a Men's and Women's team for the 2012 Olympic football tournament across the UK.

"All three associations have notified us in writing that they acknowledge that legally we are entitled to support the BOA in the selection process."
We have nothing further to add at present.

Kind regards,
Gary
Gary Stonehouse | Customer Relations
Communications Division
The FA Group
Wembley Stadium, Wembley, London, HA9 0WS
Postal address: Wembley Stadium, PO Box 1966, London, SW1P 9EQ
T +44 (0) 845 458 1966 | F+44 (0) 844 980 0666 |

Dashing Bob S
22-06-2011, 03:57 PM
If the home nations did merge at international level, as a knock on effect from team GB, then the repercussions at club level might mean that they'd be stuck with us, and the braindead bigots who trashed their second city recently.

Clearly they haven't thought this one through.

I don't honestly believe that its anything as sinister as wanting to destroy Scotland, Wales etc as separate footballing entities, but it comes from the same mindset - a desire to make a pompous, self-serving nationalistic/imperialistic statement about how wonderful united GB is, while giving legitimacy to this foul bread and circuses exercise which benefits the wealthy regions of the UK against the poorer ones.

Woody1985
22-06-2011, 04:11 PM
If the home nations did merge at international level, as a knock on effect from team GB, then the repercussions at club level might mean that they'd be stuck with us, and the braindead bigots who trashed their second city recently.

I don't honestly believe that its anything as sinister as wanting to destroy Scotland, Wales etc as separate footballing entities, but it comes from the same mindset - a desire to make a pompous, self-serving nationalistic/imperialistic statement about how wonderful united GB is, while giving legitimacy to this foul bread and circuses exercise which benefits the wealthy regions of the UK against the poorer ones.

I did consider this and I'd be interested to hear an official clubs statement from the OF on this one. I know clubs aren't going to come out on it but I wonder if they were secretly rubbing their hands with a cheeky wee grin yesterday.

Broken Gnome
22-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I dont believe there is any chance FIFA will merge the 4 nations together if we play a uk side in the olympics. Do you have any proof this will happen?

For all that some FIFA delegates MAY want the four nations to be unified, it takes a fairly unbelievable set of circumstances to think it would ever happen. It won't. Picture the chain of the circumstances that would ever cause that scenario - nope, too much opposition from founder members of the board. Would alienate a huge cornerstone of UEFA's football viewership and participation too.

It's seriously unlikely. The SFA are possibly overstating that as THE reason for opposing the team, when the likelihood is they are by and large covering their own backs in the event of limited selection and public apathy.

On the public apathy, and I can't believe that hasn't been mentioned before, is that it's completely understandable for any member on the Union. Football IS different. All other Olympic sports has a history of British participation and performing under the Union Jack. Even rugby has the Lions. Football has nothing and never has; there's no traditional ground for us to unite in celebration. It's quite a sad tribal game we have, and that is the way we like it. Who's going to automatically flick on support for a team that will be 75% made of our rivals? Quite understandable from a Welsh, Irish or Scottish perspective. Nothing really to do with anti-Englishness or xenophobia, it's just why would anyone really be inclined to? They're our rivals in this particular sport. Football is different. No big deal.

Plus Seb Coe's smug puss is as far removed from the Scottish psyche as anything...

The_Sauz
22-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong!
But was it not England who pulled out the old Home Internationals years ago?
Was it not England who refused to play Scotland in any Internationals matches unless it was an UEFA/FIFA tournament?
What country did not play in a tournamet last month that included Scotland, N Ireland, Wales & the RIP of Ireland, because they felt it was meaningless?
:confused:

marinello59
22-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong!
But was it not England who pulled out the old Home Internationals years ago?
Was it not England who refused to play Scotland in any Internationals matches unless it was an UEFA/FIFA tournament?
What country did not play in a tournamet last month that included Scotland, N Ireland, Wales & the RIP of Ireland, because they felt it was meaningless?
:confused:

We're not innocent on that one. Both Scotland and England dumped Wales and Northern Ireland whilst retaining the lucrative Scotland v England tie. Trouble surrounding that fixture played a major part in it disappearing from the calendar as well.
And the tournament in Ireland? It was meaningless and poorly supported for that reason.

mickki40
23-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Birmingham is Englands 2nd city, I assume you mean Manchester?

Woody1985
23-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Seriously?

Out of that post you mention that? :faf:

McIntosh
23-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Thats silly, if i was good enough to represent my team at the olympics and they wanted me. I'd be furious if they did that, and probably tell them to stick it up their erse?

I phoned the Press Office today at Ibrox and they gave me a wonderful off the record quote - their players priority was Rangers and if their was a clash between Champion League qualifiers, the club came first. Also the players interviewed - Kyle Hutton and Gregg Wylde were speaking on a personal level and had been reminded by the manager of their responsibilities as employees to Glasgow Rangers.

As a aside their is now serious discussions within the SFA to treat any player who plays for the GB team as a player who has played for an 'other' international team at senior level.

joe breezy
23-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Correct thinking by the SFA, team GB is another country in footballing terms so any player that plays for them can't play for Scotland.

hibsbollah
23-06-2011, 07:52 PM

The pedantry on this site sometimes takes my breath away.

McIntosh
23-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Correct thinking by the SFA, team GB is another country in footballing terms so any player that plays for them can't play for Scotland.

I have to admit I am impressed by this - about time too. Very impressed by Rangers press officer his directness and openness about fixtures and priorities was refreshing.

SaulGoodman
23-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Nothing really to do with "English-Scottish" hatred. The whole reason I, and I'm sure many others, don't want a "Team Gb" is because it will be "Team Gb" to start with and will very rapidly turn into "Team England"

How many Scottish players do you seriously expect to get into this team?

The Scotland team may be God-awful but I'd rather cheer for homegrown players than pretend to cheer for a majority of English players with a couple of Welsh and Scottish players flung in.