PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Donaldson

AlbertK86
21-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Just read thread on mad that rumours are we are going to pay £150k to bring him back.
Didn't get a fair crack last time and still think he could score plenty with the right guys around him. Don't know about the fee however.

Thoughts ?

easty
21-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Not even as good a player as Daryl Duffy or Alan Gow. No thank you.

Greentinted
21-06-2011, 12:59 PM
My tuppenceworth - it's £150k that would be better utilised elsewhere.

Never say never but not for me thanks.

--------
21-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Just read thread on mad that rumours are we are going to pay £150k to bring him back.
Didn't get a fair crack last time and still think he could score plenty with the right guys around him. Don't know about the fee however.

Thoughts ?

Mad's about as dependable as Football Rumours, IMO.

If we have £150k to spare, I think there are a good few players I'd be spending it on than CD. Offer it to Rooney as a signing-on fee.

JimBHibees
21-06-2011, 01:05 PM

If we have £150k to spare, I think there are a good few players I'd be spending it on than CD. Offer it to Rooney as a signing-on fee.

Completely agree a much better option IMO. Would be surprised if Donaldson would go for so little given the number of goals he scored last season and amount of money washing about in England.

Beefster
21-06-2011, 01:06 PM
While I wouldn't necessarily spend £150k on him, he didn't get a fair crack of the whip when he was here. Better player than he gets credit for.

mentalhibee
21-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I'd be happy if we signed Donaldson again, he found it hard to break into the team but looked pretty decent when at Hibs and has done well since. He's the kind of striker that would work well along side Sodje or big Gaz! We could do with some pace upfront.

Niffy
21-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Chr1st, what other ex-players are missing Edinburgh ????

PeterboroHibee
21-06-2011, 01:14 PM
I always thought he was alright and has done very well for himself at Crewe. Dont think we should keep looking at guys who have previously been at the club though, and £150k is a fair bit of money.

pentlando
21-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Sure i seen on SSN earlier that he's in talks with Oldham about a move, no mention of us. FWIW i think he's a good player, but it didn't work out for whatever reason and should be left in the past.

HibeePaj
21-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Have UEFA put a ban on us signing any NON EX-HIBS players this season??

Mikey
21-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Are we sure he didn't get a good crack at the whip while he was here?

My memory of him is that he got a decent number of games and was rubbish.

easty
21-06-2011, 01:22 PM

That makes two of us, at least, then.

archiebald
21-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Saw him play for reserves at Livvi V Rangers and he was brilliant,think we won 5-0

Greentinted
21-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Just had a wee squatch on iHibs and he scored 6 (4 pens) in 21 (8 as sub) appearances which, in fairness, isn't too shabby. My recollection of him though, is largely, his anonymity during games.
Maybe he didn't have ample opportunity to flourish after all...

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=1057

GreenPJ
21-06-2011, 01:28 PM

18 appearances, 5 goals. Is that a fair crack of the whip? Not even half a season.

He is 27, has pace and last season proved he was scoring goals and would be a natural foil to a O'conner/Sodje type of player. Don't think it will happen but could do a lot worse.

Hibercelona
21-06-2011, 01:29 PM
MAC is currently a free agent. I wouldn't mind giving him another go. Good age at 28 and he certainly knows where the back of the net is.

Hibs On Tour
21-06-2011, 01:33 PM
WTF???

Are we throwing some mad reunion party at ER and the only way we can get people to turn up is to resign them?

Ivan I thought was perhaps strange but that he could still do a turn for a year or two. Gary O I think is daft unless [and its a big unless] he can get fit, stay fit and keep his snout out of whence it shouldn't be. But Embra's becks to his posh? Na - gies peace man...

WTF next, Alan O'Brien back for half a million? FFS...

Walter
21-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I heard Shomumni is coming back, he didn't have the same passion for Falkirk as he did for us

soproni1
21-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Sure i seen on SSN earlier that he's in talks with Oldham about a move, no mention of us. FWIW i think he's a good player, but it didn't work out for whatever reason and should be left in the past.

:agree: saw that too

We probably were a bit hasty in getting rid of him but the only reason I would have him back is if we've no-one else (which hopefully wont be the case come end of July)

--------
21-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I heard Shomumni is coming back, he didn't have the same passion for Falkirk as he did for us

Enoch or Tam? I always get mixed up between them ....

.... and maybe we should sign a Hurtado or two as well? :wink:

Ed De Gramo
21-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Deano has trained with GOC in Edinburgh apparently :wink:

Hibercelona
21-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Deano has trained with GOC in Edinburgh apparently :wink:

I seen that picture too, posted on a forum somewhere which apparently got taken down. :wink:

Apparently Brown was the one taking the photo. :duck:

Andy74
21-06-2011, 01:57 PM

He's broken his leg.

Jonnyboy
21-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Not even as good a player as Daryl Duffy or Alan Gow. No thank you.

Oh really? How many goals did Duffy and Gow score last season? Donaldson was the top league goal scorer in England last season (more than the much heralded Adam Le Fondre) and deserved better treatment from Hibs than they gave him.

£150k for a proven goalscorer who knows the Scottish game ...... :hmmm: :greengrin

Jonnyboy
21-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Is worse than mine :greengrin Clayton scored a fair number of goals for Hibs Mike

PaulSmith
21-06-2011, 07:18 PM
MAC is currently a free agent. I wouldn't mind giving him another go. Good age at 28 and he certainly knows where the back of the net is.

This place is cracking me up, MAC!!

In saying that Woodieson and Lindsay might fancy that so don't hold your breath

Judas Iscariot
21-06-2011, 08:27 PM
£150,000 over a year is almost £2.9k a week..

Offer Riordan a semi decent contract rather than ***** it on that numpty :agree:

Mikey
21-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Is worse than mine :greengrin Clayton scored a fair number of goals for Hibs Mike

Someone mentioned 6, 4 of them being penalties.

Hmmmmmmmm :wink:

1875STEVE
21-06-2011, 08:30 PM

Thoughts ?

Nah mate, you have been duped.

Yam spamming the Hibs-Mad board.

He's also posted that we are after Tam McManus, Brian Kerr and a conference striker from Blyth Spartans called Robbie Dale.

1875STEVE
21-06-2011, 08:32 PM

So it's about as dependable as here then?? :confused:

Cruyff, Campbell, Reyes, Smith etc etc.

SteveHFC
21-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I actually thought he was a decent player when he was with us. :agree:

Kevvy1875
21-06-2011, 08:39 PM
I actually thought he was a decent player when he was with us. :agree:

The jury was still out for me but IMO the Hibs support had no reason to write him off. Never got a fair crack of the whip for me.

lyonhibs
21-06-2011, 09:06 PM
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

Hamish
21-06-2011, 09:07 PM

No.

So I can put that down as a maybe then?

Removed
21-06-2011, 09:12 PM

No.

You ever written song lyrics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFd5Cci_pE4) :greengrin

Jonnyboy
21-06-2011, 09:13 PM
You ever written song lyrics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFd5Cci_pE4) :greengrin

No but he was in The Vicar of Dibley :greengrin

(sorry lyon - couldnae resist)

Removed
21-06-2011, 09:15 PM
No but he was in The Vicar of Dibley :greengrin

(sorry lyon - couldnae resist)

:faf:

Never watched it, just had a look on you tube :greengrin

Gala Foxes
22-06-2011, 04:48 AM
he was clueless in the few games he played for us, getting caught offside, slow, cumbersome and an inability to make space or read a pass - no thanks

Callum_62
22-06-2011, 05:13 AM
he was clueless in the few games he played for us, getting caught offside, slow, cumbersome and an inability to make space or read a pass - no thanks

SLOW? Thats one thing Clayton wasnt.

allezsauzee
22-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Not even if we were paid the £150k.

basehibby
22-06-2011, 07:26 AM

:confused: He was very rough around the edges when he was last at ER, but slow? - WTF!?!?!

He was anything but slow and despite having a first touch akin to a baby elephant still managed to win (and score) a quite ridiculous number of penalties- mainly due to his pace and acceleration.

He was a very unpolished and quite naive player last time at ER, but a few years of senior football, albeit in the English lower leagues, may have seen a significant improvemeny - 28 goals in the league last season would suggest that improvement may well have taken place. If CC thinks that is the case then I would certainly give him a chance - more than can be said for some of our "supporters" though who would no doubt go about verbally ripping him a new one if he failed to achieve instant success :rolleyes:

Brooster
22-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Lets face it he was brutal when he was with us, he scored 2 goals from open play in 20 odd games. He seems to do ok in the lower English leagues but he proved that he cant hack it in the SPL.

aberhibsfc
22-06-2011, 07:37 AM
I seen that picture too, posted on a forum somewhere which apparently got taken down. :wink:

Apparently Brown was the one taking the photo. :duck:

Nah, if Brown was taking the photo, it would be a picture of his right cheek.

easty
22-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Oh really? How many goals did Duffy and Gow score last season? Donaldson was the top league goal scorer in England last season (more than the much heralded Adam Le Fondre) and deserved better treatment from Hibs than they gave him.

£150k for a proven goalscorer who knows the Scottish game ...... :hmmm: :greengrin

In a pub league.

How many goals did Marlon Harewood score last season? I dont actually know the answer but I'll bet it was less than Donaldson and, funnily enough, he's still a better footballer.

easty
22-06-2011, 09:29 AM
He was anything but slow and despite having a first touch akin to a baby elephant

That wasn't his first touch, that was his control generally. Every touch took the ball away from him.

Thecat23
22-06-2011, 09:30 AM

No.

THERE'S NO LIMIT. :greengrin

Andy74
22-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Lets face it he was brutal when he was with us, he scored 2 goals from open play in 20 odd games. He seems to do ok in the lower English leagues but he proved that he cant hack it in the SPL.

The penalties he scored were all where he was taken down going into the box.

I thought he looked pretty promising and was unplayable one particular game. Did he get a hat trick against Motherwell or someone?

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2011, 09:39 AM

I thought he looked pretty promising and was unplayable one particular game. Did he get a bar trick against Motherwell or someone?

Killie, Benny Brazil scored a hattrick once. :wink:

dangermouse
22-06-2011, 11:35 AM

I thought he looked pretty promising and was unplayable one particular game. Did he get a hat trick against Motherwell or someone?

Kilmarnock I think. And he missed one of the 3 penalties awarded in that game.

marinello59
22-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Kilmarnock I think. And he missed one of the 3 penalties awarded in that game.

It was Kilmarnock.

Dinkydoo
22-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Another 'below par' Ex player being linked with Hibs..........never. :rolleyes:

jonny
22-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Have UEFA put a ban on us signing any NON EX-HIBS players this season??

Sean O'Hanlon.....

James70
22-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Is there any truth in the rumour that we have applied to change our name from Hibernian to Friendsry United? :hmmm:

Jonnyboy
22-06-2011, 07:11 PM
In a pub league.

How many goals did Marlon Harewood score last season? I dont actually know the answer but I'll bet it was less than Donaldson and, funnily enough, he's still a better footballer.

Read my post again easty. CD was the top league goal scorer in England - that's all four leagues

Bostonhibby
22-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Read my post again easty. CD was the top league goal scorer in England - that's all four leagues

Ach, splitting hairs, its not as if its top flight like the SPL, the boy dun good, and might, just push on again :wink:

Jonnyboy
22-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Ach, splitting hairs, its not as if its top flight like the SPL, the boy dun good, and might, just push on again :wink:

:greengrin

AlbertK86
22-06-2011, 07:19 PM

It could be said that the SPL is of a much lower standard than when he was last here.

Still think he might be worth a shot if we could get him for nowt.

Not many proven goalscorers about

If it was a straight choice of him or Rory McAllister who would folk go for. Both scored loads in lower leagues

Hibercelona
22-06-2011, 07:32 PM
This place is cracking me up, MAC!!

In saying that Woodieson and Lindsay might fancy that so don't hold your breath

I recall him doing quite well for Dundee when they still had a few decent players. He didn't score as many for Hamilton, but considering they barely ever got into the opposition half, he done well enough for them.

The reason i mentioned him is because he's currently a free agent, and i'm sure he'd be happy to come back for a cheap enough deal.

He's a goal scorer which can't be a bad thing.

tamig
22-06-2011, 10:17 PM
:confused: He was very rough around the edges when he was last at ER, but slow? - WTF!?!?!

He was anything but slow and despite having a first touch akin to a baby elephant still managed to win (and score) a quite ridiculous number of penalties- mainly due to his pace and acceleration.

He was a very unpolished and quite naive player last time at ER, but a few years of senior football, albeit in the English lower leagues, may have seen a significant improvemeny - 28 goals in the league last season would suggest that improvement may well have taken place. If CC thinks that is the case then I would certainly give him a chance - more than can be said for some of our "supporters" though who would no doubt go about verbally ripping him a new one if he failed to achieve instant success :rolleyes:

Agree with most of that. I think we could do a lot worse than give him another crack at ER.

tamig
22-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I recall him doing quite well for Dundee when they still had a few decent players. He didn't score as many for Hamilton, but considering they barely ever got into the opposition half, he done well enough for them.

The reason i mentioned him is because he's currently a free agent, and i'm sure he'd be happy to come back for a cheap enough deal.

He's a goal scorer which can't be a bad thing.

And MAC always seemed to turn it on against us. Not sure why the suggestion was cracking the other guy up :rolleyes: