PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland Friendly

brog
21-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I know there's been some discussion re this previously but has the question been asked as to why we're playing this game? All I can see are negatives, a disruption to the season, lose an early home fixture & probably lose money.
Does anyone know a good reason why we're doing this, eg a tie up with Sunderland, player(s) on loan? I know our U-19's have played them in recent years. Or is it that RP actually thinks this is a profitable venture?
I really am totally baffled why we're doing this. Thoughts, information or FACTS would be appreciated.

.Sean.
21-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I think this Sunderland game is a waste of time, to be honest. Just getting into the new season then break our stride to play a 'glamour' friendly. Wonderful.

pentlando
21-06-2011, 11:41 AM
No FACTS i'm afraid, i'm not a Notts Forest fan so can't guarantee that. I remember hearing at the time that SPL sides can cancel one game in the first 3 weeks of the season. As this game was announced just after Rangers announced one (Chelsea i think) i guess that maybe Hibs were tipped off by SPL that we were maybe due to face Rangers and we could be without a game that weekend so acted quickly to a. keep us playing that weekend and b. get a premiership side to ER to generate some income at the same measure. No FACTS here though!

Franck is God
21-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I think both Rangers & Sellick moaned that they were losing money by not being able to take part in lucrative pre-season tournaments with the SPL early start so that weekend in August was left blank.

I'm quite pleased that we are taking advantage of it and inviting a Premiership side up to play against, results in friendlies aren't that important and truthfully we should always be losing to teams like that anyway so a decent performance against them will do for me.

Gatecrasher
21-06-2011, 11:52 AM
i think its one of the few decent ideas the SPL have come up with, if they are going to start the season earlier (which is also a good thing) Allowing SPL teams to play a friendly for 1 weekend to suit finances/agreements/publicity or whatever then thats a decent way around teams wanting to do that.

Beefster
21-06-2011, 11:52 AM
No FACTS i'm afraid, i'm not a Notts Forest fan so can't guarantee that. I remember hearing at the time that SPL sides can cancel one game in the first 3 weeks of the season. As this game was announced just after Rangers announced one (Chelsea i think) i guess that maybe Hibs were tipped off by SPL that we were maybe due to face Rangers and we could be without a game that weekend so acted quickly to a. keep us playing that weekend and b. get a premiership side to ER to generate some income at the same measure. No FACTS here though!

Hibs were due to play St Johnstone that weekend apparently.

ionahibby
21-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Stupid idea imo so instead of getting into a home game with my season ticket i will have to pay £15 to watch a game! Well they know where thay can go i will be staying in the pub!

Franck is God
21-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Stupid idea imo so instead of getting into a home game with my season ticket i will have to pay £15 to watch a game! Well they know where thay can go i will be staying in the pub!

Pretty sure that you'll still get that game on your ST, this is a game that would generally be prior to the beginning of the season, we have them every year.

If you have a grievance with the club arranging the fixture you should take it up with them, as far as I'm concerned the money made from this game could be a decent players wages for the season which makes it well worth while in my book..

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2011, 12:14 PM
No facts to back this up, but if they play the St Johnstone game on a midweek night, i wont be there and i'd imagine others who would have made the saturday game are in the same boat.

Will the club make money from the Sunderland game?

bingo70
21-06-2011, 12:17 PM
No facts to back this up, but if they play the St Johnstone game on a midweek night, i wont be there and i'd imagine others who would have made the saturday game are in the same boat.

There'll be a lot of people that can't make weekend games that can make midweek games.

I actually agree with you though, i can't see the club making any money from this so i'm not really sure what my point is :greengrin

I think the club just thought the fans would like to see a premiership team full of stars we don't normally get to see play at easter road, what an ungratefull bunch we are :wink:

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2011, 12:27 PM
There'll be a lot of people that can't make weekend games that can make midweek games.

I actually agree with you though, i can't see the club making any money from this so i'm not really sure what my point is :greengrin

I think the club just thought the fans would like to see a premiership team full of stars we don't normally get to see play at easter road, what an ungratefull bunch we are :wink:

Yip i know there are folk who can make midweek games but not make weekend ones. :wink:

For me its all about ANOTHER game we have that wont be on a saturday at 3pm. Dont they think Sky do enough damage without helping them? The club are imo making it easier for me to not bother with a season ticket by reducing ANOTHER saturday unnecessarily from the season.

The club know as everyone does that the majority of fans want more saturday 3pm kick off times, yet here we are doing the exact opposite to play a bloody friendly?

Makes no sence to me?

ionahibby
21-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Pretty sure that you'll still get that game on your ST, this is a game that would generally be prior to the beginning of the season, we have them every year.

If you have a grievance with the club arranging the fixture you should take it up with them, as far as I'm concerned the money made from this game could be a decent players wages for the season which makes it well worth while in my book..

Pretty sure we are not getting the game on our season ticket says on official website that season ticket holders have to buy there tickets before a certain date to get their own seat and in a game where we would have had maybe 9000 pushing 10000 fans for the league game instead we will be lucky to get 7000-8000 rip off in my book ....

Hibby K
21-06-2011, 02:18 PM
This friendly, and any other friendlies played by SPL clubs that day, just show what a 'Mickey Mouse' league the SPL is.
What other league in Europe would allow their fixtures to be cancelled in favour of a friendly? It wouldn't be so bad if both teams played this seriously but personally I'm sick of paying good money to watch a half hearted game constantly interrupted by substitutions.
After last season Hibs should be looking to get off to a flying start in the league. Although St Johnstone at home is never easy this is an opportunity lost to get some valuable early points on the board!

Ed De Gramo
21-06-2011, 02:20 PM
This friendly, and any other friendlies played by SPL clubs that day, just show what a 'Mickey Mouse' league the SPL is.
What other league in Europe would allow their fixtures to be cancelled in favour of a friendly? It wouldn't be so bad if both teams played this seriously but personally I'm sick of paying good money to watch a half hearted game constantly interrupted by substitutions.
After last season Hibs should be looking to get off to a flying start in the league. Although St Johnstone at home is never easy this is an opportunity lost to get some valuable early points on the board!

:top marks

KWJ
21-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I quite enjoy the Premiership friendlies at ER and as we can't do it before the season starts I don't mind that Hibs have taken up the SPL's offer of granting us one. Rantic and RP clearly think it's worthwhile for a few boab and I personally would love like to see Garry O'Connor beat Craig Gordon once again.

marinello59
21-06-2011, 02:37 PM

I'm with you on this one I don't mind missing one or two league games but needlessly losing another one isn't good.

brog
21-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the entertaining comments but basically, other than possibility RP thinks we may make money from game, no one really has any idea why we're doing this. Personally, I agree with BH, I doubt we'll make any money from this.
I can understand Celtc being miffed about early season start, their participation in the lucrative ( & televised ) Dublin tourney with Man C & Inter was announced in Feb. For me personally it sucks, I was coming from London that w/e but won't do for a friendly & like BH I can't do midweek.
Last question, other than OF are we only team doing this?

brog
21-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I quite enjoy the Premiership friendlies at ER and as we can't do it before the season starts I don't mind that Hibs have taken up the SPL's offer of granting us one. Rantic and RP clearly think it's worthwhile for a few boab and I personally would love like to see Garry O'Connor beat Craig Gordon once again.

Sure, but why not have the friendly midweek?

pentlando
21-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree with the furore surrounding midweek fixtures but just had a check on the BEEB and we only have one midweek game scheduled before new year which is on the 28th of Dec. Could it be that the early start means the game that was set to be played on the 6th has actually been moved to a different weekend :confused:

Barman Stanton
21-06-2011, 02:59 PM
It will be all about money surely. Seem to remember Sunderland just about filling the away stand last time they were here so possibility it will be a bigger crowd than the St Johnstone game would have been.

Does seem a supid interuption though, would rather have the 3 points on the board.

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I agree with the furore surrounding midweek fixtures but just had a check on the BEEB and we only have one midweek game scheduled before new year which is on the 28th of Dec. Could it be that the early start means the game that was set to be played on the 6th has actually been moved to a different weekend :confused:

The game set for 6th Aug v St Johnstone has still to be allocated a date.

dougareedouglas
21-06-2011, 03:39 PM
i think you are all taking this to far i for one have a season ticket and welcome a game against sunderland you are not losing out on saeson ticket they game is still going to get played and any income from sunderland game will be money we dont have some one said we would have 9000 to 10000 at st johnstone game most of them season tickets which wont get hibs any money where as if 6000 to 8000 turn up for sunderland game at £15 a ticket any where between £90000 and £120000 how can that not be good for our club money generated from this game is money that can improve hibs as a hole and i for one applaud mr pertie for arranging this fixture :cgwa:thumbsup::thumbsup::flag::flag:

pentlando
21-06-2011, 05:08 PM
The game set for 6th Aug v St Johnstone has still to be allocated a date.

ah apologies! Still think we're a bit overdramatic complaining about midweek games when it means only 1 scheduled midweek league game before christmas.

Removed
21-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Pretty sure we are not getting the game on our season ticket says on official website that season ticket holders have to buy there tickets before a certain date to get their own seat and in a game where we would have had maybe 9000 pushing 10000 fans for the league game instead we will be lucky to get 7000-8000 rip off in my book ....

I don't think that's what he meant, I read it as we will still get the St Johnstone game albeit later so no one is losing out and the Sunderland game would normally be played before the season starts so again we are not having to pay for anything out the norm.

I'll just be having a Saturday off. I have no desire to watch this game.