PDA

View Full Version : We need another Striker

happiehibbie
21-06-2011, 10:26 AM
We need a proven goal scorer someone who can get maybe 20 a season. someone who maybe be the top goal scorer in the SPL with the right service. someone who can make something out of nothing. we never know he might even be a Hibby.

I am sure there is one kicking about somewhere in Edinburgh

itchy07
21-06-2011, 10:28 AM
That kind of player doesn't come cheap and may have better options elsewhere.

bingo70
21-06-2011, 10:31 AM
We need a proven goal scorer someone who can get maybe 20 a season. someone who maybe be the top goal scorer in the SPL with the right service. someone who can make something out of nothing. we never know he might even be a Hibby.

Keith Keith Keith Keith Keith Keith......

truehibernian
21-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I am sure we will have another striker by the end of next week to be honest.

What we need, IMHO, is goals from midfield as this is an area where we have been lacking for a good few seasons. A Latapy, McGinlay type who can pitch in with 8-10 goals a season. Our midfield looks a little bland if I am being honest....lots of industry, not much creativity and goals.

I think Galbraith and Sproule will offer us something more direct and pacey on the wide area of the pitch, but through the middle we need another player supporting the strikers. Wotherspoon is decent in this area but for me, and by his own admission, his confidence is easy knocked. Get some experience in there if we can and we will do just fine.

As for 20 goal a season strikers......if each one of the three/four bag between 10-15 goals, I will be delighted.

Arch Stanton
21-06-2011, 10:36 AM
That kind of player doesn't come cheap and may have better options elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure you missed the OP's point - probably saying a 20-goal a season put you off as it is a good few years since the player in question scored that many.

Maybe if he had said "kicking around George Street pubs" instead of "kicking around Edinburgh" you would have cottoned on.

AlbertK86
21-06-2011, 10:36 AM
i wonder who you might be talking about !!

On a serious note.Think we need at least two more strikers

bingo70
21-06-2011, 10:37 AM

What we need, IMHO, is goals from midfield as this is an area where we have been lacking for a good few seasons. A Latapy, McGinlay type who can pitch in with 8-10 goals a season. Our midfield looks a little bland if I am being honest....lots of industry, not much creativity and goals.

I think Galbraith and Sproule will offer us something more direct and pacey on the wide area of the pitch, but through the middle we need another player supporting the strikers. Wotherspoon is decent in this area but for me, and by his own admission, his confidence is easy knocked. Get some experience in there if we can and we will do just fine.

As for 20 goal a season strikers......if each one of the three/four bag between 10-15 goals, I will be delighted.

Completely agree with you but IMO one of the reasons for the lack of goals from midfield was because we had nobody to hold the ball up front rather than the type of midfielders we had, i'm not sure if there's any stats to back it up or not but i thought we looked more dangerous from midfield when Sodje came in.

I think now we've got Sodje and O'Connor we'll get goals from midfield, if Thornhill stays fit i can see him getting a few, as you say though we need another to replace Miller.

Scooter
21-06-2011, 10:38 AM
i seriously think EDG will surprise us

JimBHibees
21-06-2011, 10:40 AM
i wonder who you might be talking about !!

On a serious note.Think we need at least two more strikers

Totally agree, more than one required. Can see Porter or Rooney and hopefully young Airey from Toon on loan..

Purehibee_MYB
21-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Shirley you can't be serious??

dangermouse
21-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Why write him off without giving him a chance to prove himself FFS?

Have the boo boys found their new "Colin Nish" before a ball has been kicked.

I really do despair at our support at times.

bingo70
21-06-2011, 10:53 AM

I can understand why many would be sceptical about EdG, ultimately he was a complete failure and showed very few attributes to give us encouragement, however i can't help but wonder how different things could have been had one of his early chances had gone in last season.

He is capabale of putting the ball into an empty net from a few yeards out, you can't become a professional football player without being able to do that, IMO he never got the break of the ball at all back then (the one against rangers was a brilliant tackle) and it effected his confidence, after that the crowd got on his back, understandably so, and he ended up looking hopeless, i do think though if he was to start the season with us and he got into the same positions again he'd score goals and we could see an entirely different player.

That said i wouldn't like to bank on it, so if we could get someone to take him off our hands and get a replacement in i'd probably be a bit happier.

Scooter
21-06-2011, 10:53 AM

yip im 100%. I really think there is a player in there.

Purehibee_MYB
21-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Oh he has the chance to prove himself...but my comment goes on the edwin degraff of last season...and its not as if he hasn't had a chance, he had the whole of last summer and the first half of the season, but I would be much much more than happy for him to come back a new player...but my comment comes from the edwin de graff i have witnessed.

JimBHibees
21-06-2011, 11:01 AM
That said i wouldn't like to bank on it, so if we could get someone to take him off our hands and get a replacement in i'd probably be a bit happier.

Personally think that is what will happen and will be best for all parties, Hibs, the player and whoever he signs for. No doubt his agent will be touting him round loads of Dutch clubs at this very moment.

scott7_0(Prague)
21-06-2011, 11:01 AM

Shirley Scooter, what a name. :greengrin

keep the faith
21-06-2011, 11:02 AM

There is an answer there and he is available. However, some can't see past Stewart being an ex yam.

I can sense pelters coming my way!

AlbertK86
21-06-2011, 11:25 AM
No pelters here. I've already stated on here many times that stewart would be ideal. He would be the main man in there. When here before he played second fiddle to brown and thomson. He is exactly what we need

Franck is God
21-06-2011, 11:27 AM
When CC was talking on Sky Sports on Sunday he confirmed there was money left in the budget but the English clubs don't really start moving players until July and that is what he is waiting for.

He obviously has his targets but they must be tied with clubs right now which suggests either a nominal fee once the player agrees the move or a loan deal.

I do think that the arrival of O'Connor & Sproule will open up a lot more opportunities for our current midfielders to get forward and score.

I also agree with another poster about De Graaf, he got into some great positions to score early last season but they just didn't go in for him, a full pre-season with better players around him, one or two of those chances might go in and all of a sudden half of this board are moaning that he has less than a year left on his deal with no sign of a new contract offer...

happiehibbie
21-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I think only one person caught on!!! we all ready have that person DEREK RIORDEN why look else where

Dunbar Hibee
21-06-2011, 02:58 PM

He is awful, but I will support anyone wearing the green and white. But he is awful.:agree:

Steve20
21-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I think only one person caught on!!! we all ready have that person DEREK RIORDEN why look else where

Because Derek Riordan is gone. I don't know if it's his choice or the clubs choice but he is gone. So, we have to look elsewhere.

500miles
21-06-2011, 03:43 PM

No seen anyone fitting that description in Edinburgh for about 5 years. Unless Stokes is a secret Hibs fan.

Andy74
21-06-2011, 03:53 PM

I think Stokes lives in Bathgate or Broxburn or somewhere Don't know of any current players fitting that description in Edinburgh.

Baldy Foghorn
21-06-2011, 04:44 PM

If you are going to put his name in capital letters, then at least spell it correctly.....

DR has stated he is bored of SPL football, it would be some turn around by him to sign a new deal....I suspect there will be better offers on the table, but if he does not want to move abroad or down South then who knows....It's a funny old game

pentlando
21-06-2011, 04:47 PM

:agree:

JohnScott
21-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I think Stokes lives in Bathgate or Broxburn or somewhere Don't know of any current players fitting that description in Edinburgh.

Don't care where they come from just hope we have cover for our now smaller squad. As things stand we'll be totally screwed if we have injuries to any of the present team. Can't believe we're still scrabbling around for players. :rolleyes:

ballengeich
21-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Given Garry O's recent injury history I think that we need to sign two more strikers.

EasterRoad4Ever
21-06-2011, 05:17 PM
While I've been reasonably impressed with the 3 signings CC has made, 2 of these have to be regarded as "low hanging fruit". Sproule and Oconnor would probably have signed for ANY Hibs manager given their circumstances and love for the club. That leaves really just 1 player that CC has persuaded to sign. IMHO we need at least 3 more signing for cover/quality. The current squad is mid-table quality AT BEST.

HibsMax
21-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Don't care where they come from just hope we have cover for our now smaller squad. As things stand we'll be totally screwed if we have injuries to any of the present team. Can't believe we're still scrabbling around for players. :rolleyes:

Are we? Or are we just waiting for July like CC was quoted as saying?

HibsMax
21-06-2011, 05:38 PM
While I've been reasonably impressed with the 3 signings CC has made, 2 of these have to be regarded as "low hanging fruit". Sproule and Oconnor would probably have signed for ANY Hibs manager given their circumstances and love for the club. That leaves really just 1 player that CC has persuaded to sign. IMHO we need at least 3 more signing for cover/quality. The current squad is mid-table quality AT BEST.

We haven't even seen the guys play together as a team. How can anyone possibly predict with any confidence where this team, as it stands today, will finish? :confused: We might get relegated, we might split the OF. Who knows? Everyone is entitled to their opinion but your AT BEST phrasing leads me to believe that you are very confident with your prediction. We all know that capital letters make things FACT! :wink:

happiehibbie
22-06-2011, 01:51 PM
If you are going to put his name in capital letters, then at least spell it correctly.....

DR has stated he is bored of SPL football, it would be some turn around by him to sign a new deal....I suspect there will be better offers on the table, but if he does not want to move abroad or down South then who knows....It's a funny old game

Ahh sorry my finger was in the wrong hole we have all done that before. the post was to highlight the fact that DR is still kicking about a proven striker yet we all seem to give him pelters for one crap season. I hope he changes his mind

Baldy Foghorn
22-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Ahh sorry my finger was in the wrong hole we have all done that before. the post was to highlight the fact that DR is still kicking about a proven striker yet we all seem to give him pelters for one crap season. I hope he changes his mind

:faf:

Naughty lad.....

Col2
22-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Are we? Or are we just waiting for July like CC was quoted as saying?

We need two more strikers. Realistically this could be:-

1. Rooney/Porter type signing - 2-3 year deal
2. Supplemented by a loan signing like Keigan Ayre or a more risk lower league striker like McAllister from Brechin.

This would give us upfront:O'Conner (goals and strenth), Rooney/Porter (Goals and strength), Sodje (Strength) and Ayre (Pace) With Sproule (Pace and goals/assists) on right and Galbraith (Pace) on left (like a new signing).

I would be very happy with above and would be as good on paper up front as we have had for a while.

Cropley10
22-06-2011, 03:03 PM

2. Supplemented by a loan signing like Keigan Ayre or a more risk lower league striker like McAllister from Brechin.

This would give us upfront:O'Conner (goals and strenth), Rooney/Porter (Goals and strength), Sodje (Strength) and Ayre (Pace) With Sproule (Pace and goals/assists) on right and Galbraith (Pace) on left (like a new signing).

I would be very happy with above and would be as good on paper up front as we have had for a while.

Would be delighted as it would show we're building a team and a squad. But there's a helluva lot to be done if this is to happen, bearing in mind we've got Gaz, Ivan and the new fellae OHanlon in so far...

BEEJ
22-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Do you mean Phil Airey from Newcastle? :confused:

Andy74
22-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Did I imagine Sodje's goals last year? Go on, stick 'and goals' in the bracket. :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
23-06-2011, 07:30 AM
We have a couple of Strikers who are more than capable of getting into double figures next season, although I would like another, I would still prefer to get a creative midfielder in as at the moment I cant see who is going to set the goals up.

Fair enough Ivan etc from the wings, but we are still crying out for a Zemmama like centre midfielder who will actually take people on and lay on a killer pass.

That would be the number one priority for me to be honest.