PDA

View Full Version : Best Tackle You Have Seen

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Was just reading the thread about Fyvie and Murray's tackle on him.It got me to thinking about the tackle from Murray on Hinkel a couple of seasons ago right in front of the West, for pace power and accuracy it was probably one of the tackles that sticks in my mind most. Hinkel must have thought he'd been hit by a train and we still talk about it now. Any similar tackles you can remember. After all if you can remember a tackle it must have been special!

zlatan
20-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Sol Bambas

skipster7
20-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Jay Shiels on hartley, straight through him and set up a goal forr Deeks as well:agree:

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Sol Bambas

:tee hee:

Ernie Cobra
20-06-2011, 07:30 PM
tortolanos "tackle" on Strachan..........booooooosh! Take that ya wee ginger jobby!

lyonhibs
20-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Van Zanten on Jason Thomson at the PBS. Never has the word 'crumpled' been so appropriate.
Yannick Zambernardi on the turf about a yard behind/in front of the intended target.
Loved a dramatic slide tackle did Oor Yannick

zemmama
20-06-2011, 07:36 PM
my favourite has to be one that involved a certain mr tortalano, it was a hibs v falkirk game at brockville in the 90s, kevin mcallister was tearing up the wing and tortalano came racing over and into a full bloodied tackle, mcallister stopped and let torty slide past him and go crashing into the side-boards. 100% for effort 100% comedy:cgwa

hibsbollah
20-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Anything nasty in a derby. Fletcher on Berra (the brown trout). Deek on Skacel. Hunter on Colquhoun. Murray decapitating Black. Ivan stamping on random yam in the semi. Something like that.

Barney McGrew
Who was it that halfed a yam in the Festival Cup game at ER a few years back?

Perfectly fair tackle, the yam (maybe Kisnorbo?) flew star shaped through the air before he landed crumpled in a heap

frazeHFC
Ian Murray on Ian Black last season. :greengrin

essexhibee
20-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Nothing beats Scotty Parkers challenge on Joe Cole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8QUzr94sYA&feature=related

HibsMax
20-06-2011, 07:51 PM
I can't for the life of me find a video of this and now I'm beginning to think it doesn't exist (or I have the names wrong).

I recall a 50-50 ball, Iain Wright and Peter Schmeichel (sp?) that ended up with a burst ball as they slid into one another, ball in-between them.

cammy1969
20-06-2011, 07:52 PM
hunter on scott crabe a few years back crabe said he felt phisicallysick after it :greengrin

Kaiser1962
20-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Schaedler.......pick one!

I'll start with the Drybrugh Cup final, Celtic attacking 0-0 with 2 minutes left of extra time. Shades wins ball midway inside own half and leaves Celtic superstar crumpled in a heap but, to be fair, he did that most of the time. Sets the move underway for Alan Gordon's last minute winner.

People talk about tough and hard tacklers but for me Shades was as hard as they come.

nonshinyfinish
20-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Not a tackle as such, but I remember Gary Smith and Paul Hartley racing for a ball at the byline, the ball went out and Gary gave Hartley a wee nudge to send him crashing into the advert boards.

LamontHFC©
20-06-2011, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Rnt5C2qaQ

Baldy
20-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Gary Caldwell on Stilian Petrov .. sent him flying in the air after winning the ball

HibbyAndy
20-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Ill raise everyone of you Roy Keane on Alf Inge Haaland..:agree:

Dirty barsteward that later revealed in his book he ment to hurt him, He should have got the jail for that tackle :agree:

ronaldo7
20-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Erich went through some jam TART in the 0-7 derby.

Wonderful:greengrin

Barney McGrew
20-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Gary Caldwell on Stilian Petrov .. sent him flying in the air after winning the ball

That was a belter :aok:

Speedway
20-06-2011, 08:17 PM
This was a fairly hefty challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8b1pd3Mas

However, one of the best tackles I've seen was on the Brazilian Ronaldo in World Cup '98, administered by a Colin Calderwood for Scotland.

degenerated
20-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Boris Johnson against the Germans ranks up there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOivzoRc0I8) :greengrin

not technically a tackle but Boban in that Dinamo v Red Star game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Waz11ihnY8w)

some right shockers here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmE5XZlm-Cs

bringbackbenny
20-06-2011, 08:20 PM
David Farrell on Mark Hately, League cup final 1993.

You could hear Hately squeal from the other end of the ground lol

lyonhibs
20-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Pretty sure McManus got away with an absolute stinker of a stud rake down Baldé's leg. Brown caught Captain Caveman a beauty as well.

HibsMax
20-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Oh, and this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqYEpVjpinI)

AlbertK86
20-06-2011, 09:14 PM
jackie mcnamara sliders from ten feet away were fantastic

wazoo1875
20-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Linford Christies, Barcelona 1992
Anyone else's tackle is a clear second best ;-)

hibeemikey21
20-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Imagine a challenge like this in the first few minutes of a derby to set the tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIp6cxOjKUE

bawheid
20-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Ian Murray's probably the hardest tackler I've seen play for Hibs.

weedgiehibbie
20-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I seem to recall David Murphy made a great tackle against a dundee utd player at ER - the game where Gary Smith scored the winner - where he won the ball fare and square and the ball went out for a Utd throw in but the dundee utd player got taken out as well :confused:

Mon Dieu4
20-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Any of Pat McGinleys two footed ones for me, you could always tell he was about to launch into one when his steps got smaller and faster :faf:

Ollie Reed
20-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Hunter a wee bit late on Colquhoun-8.10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVw6ZhrDq_E)

coco22
20-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Hunter a wee bit late on Colquhoun-8.10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVw6ZhrDq_E)

...and willie miller got booked tae! pleasant challenge

Leithenhibby
20-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Schaedler.......pick one!
I'll start with the Drybrugh Cup final, Celtic attacking 0-0 with 2 minutes left of extra time. Shades wins ball midway inside own half and leaves Celtic superstar crumpled in a heap but, to be fair, he did that most of the time. Sets the move underway for Alan Gordon's last minute winner.

People talk about tough and hard tacklers but for me Shades was as hard as they come.

Remember the lead-up to the cross for No:7 at Tynie, when Shades was so far from the ball, but was hell bent on making it .... As he always did... :not worth

.Sean.
20-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Jay Shields on Roy Keane or Murray on Black.

--------
20-06-2011, 10:19 PM
May 1978 Scotland played England at Hampden. Winning 2-1 with a few minutes to go.

Mick Channon broke through and was clear in on goal when Tom Forsyth slid in to tackle him inside the penalty area. Channon went down like a sack of spuds; we all thought the referee would give the penalty, but Forsyth had timed the tackle perfectly and nicked the ball off Channon's toes without touching him. Ball went out for a throw-in and Scotland won the match.

Never much like Forsyth, but that tackle was inch-perfect, immaculately timed, and won Scotland the match.

Leithenhibby
20-06-2011, 10:21 PM
May 1978 Scotland played England at Hampden. Winning 2-1 with a few minutes to go.

Mick Channon broke through and was clear in on goal when Tom Forsyth slid in to tackle him inside the penalty area. Channon went down like a sack of spuds; we all thought the referee would give the penalty, but Forsyth had timed the tackle perfectly and nicked the ball off Channon's toes without touching him. Ball went out for a throw-in and Scotland won the match.

Never much like Forsyth, but that tackle was inch-perfect, immaculately timed, and won Scotland the match.

:agree: Best timed tackle by far ....

Dunbar Hibee
20-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Murray on Black. :agree: BOOM!

MaroonPlatoon
21-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Neil Berry putting Paul Wright in his place at ER, absolute peach:thumbsup:

Peevemor
21-06-2011, 06:02 AM

:bye:

DC_Hibs
21-06-2011, 06:09 AM

Thought you would have went with Craig Thomson's on the webcam to a 12 year old girl. After all your disgusting club have an association with numerous convicted sex offenders in recent years so it's clearly something that is accepted.

Tricla
21-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Thought you would have went with Craig Thomson's on the webcam to a 12 year old girl. After all your disgusting club have an association with numerous convicted sex offenders in recent years so it's clearly something that is accepted.

:greengrin

soupy
21-06-2011, 06:34 AM

Daz, your too funny :-)

The Falcon
21-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Was it Beuzilin who nearly halfed some Yam fud at ER on national TV?

Slid in from somewhere half way down St.Clair Street and sent the guy to the ground like he was a downhill skier crashing at about 70 mph. Won the ball as well and the yam didnt even get a free kick.

Springbank
21-06-2011, 06:56 AM

I'm glad you said this one - that moment has always summed up for me why it's always better to be a Hibee following the flair player rather than the Yam henchman.

I'm a cavalier in life, you and your kind are roundheads.

I prefer life that way, so thanks for reinforcing my own superiority complex :greengrin

Spike Mandela
21-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Ouch!:greengrin

calumhibee1
21-06-2011, 07:10 AM
I seem to recall David Murphy made a great tackle against a dundee utd player at ER - the game where Gary Smith scored the winner - where he won the ball fare and square and the ball went out for a Utd throw in but the dundee utd player got taken out as well :confused:
:agree: I was up the back of the west upper and you could hear the tackle from there. Great tackle, wish somebody had footage of it.

we are hibs
21-06-2011, 07:17 AM
:agree: I was up the back of the west upper and you could hear the tackle from there. Great tackle, wish somebody had footage of it.

is this the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F43eW6aS8Zk

pentlando
21-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Hate to say it, and whilst it will be remembered more for de graff and 'the' miss of the season, bougherra's goaline challenge was actually v decent.

Phil MaGlass
21-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Any number of Ian Murray tackles.

Peevemor
21-06-2011, 08:26 AM

I'm normally happy to leave the admins in peace to do their job, but I can't believe this :asshole: hasn't been emptied for this.

IIRC it's not the first time he's overstepped the mark.

easty
21-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Caspers tackle on the Yam fud that went after Riordan was a cracker.

Part/Time Supporter
21-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Murray on Hinkel towards the end of the squiggler game.

Auckland Hibs
21-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Willie Miller on Maurice Malpas in the cup semi win at Tynecastle when Darren Jackson scored the winner - he completely nailed him.

It was a while ago but IIRC Malpas was carried off the park?

delbert
21-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Loved Shades tackle in the lead up to the 7th goal at Tynecastle, summed the guy up, we were cruising at 6-0 but he still tackled like the game depended on it, but have to say the earlier threads about Tom Forsyth's on Mick Channon were spot on, Channon was just about to volley the ball home from about 15 yards when Forsyth came from behind and hooked the ball away right off his toe, and if ever there was a match winning tackle, that was it

hibsbollah
21-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm normally happy to leave the admins in peace to do their job, but I can't believe this :asshole: hasn't been emptied for this.

IIRC it's not the first time he's overstepped the mark.

Disagree. If you cant put up with a bit of gentle banter you may as well not allow any non hibs fan on at all.

Peevemor
21-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Disagree. If you cant put up with a bit of gentle banter you may as well not allow any non hibs fan on at all.

I'm all for banter, but for me there are some things that you don't joke about on a rival fan site - career threatening tackles/injuries being one of them.

And he can stick his wee :thumbsup: smilie up his erse!

--------
21-06-2011, 11:14 AM

:agree:

Besides, I thought this thread was about "the best tackle you have seen".

Much as I have enjoyed the memory of Joe T sending Gordon Strachan crashing into the wall at ER, that wasn't a tackle. It was a foul, and one that still warms the cockles of this old codger's heart.

If we want to talk about challenges designed with malice aforethought to maim and destroy, we might ask a Newcastle fan about the day one John McNamee, aka Big Bad John late of this burgh, rose to challenge for a cross into the Newcastle penalty area and took out - all in the one graceful and irresistibly earth-shaking moment - Billy Bremner, Jack Charlton AND Norman Hunter, leaving them writhing in a pile of human ordure on the pitch, and WINNING THE BALL CLEANLY.

Which of course meant that it WASN'T A FOUL.

Or the occasion Ned Turnbull brought his Aberdeen side to ER with absolutely no intention of playing football - they kicked everyone and everything moving in green and white up and down the park for 65 minutes, watched and encouraged by a slimy Glaswegian invertebrate by the name of A J Crawley (ref). A particularly nasty participant was a wee right winger called Pat Wilson.

Wilson scythed Colin Stein in their 'D', with Crawley looking on. Stein stayed down, which he didn't tend to do unless he was really hurt. The ball was cleared up the wing, and Wilson contrived to win the challenge but ended up on the ground, curled round the ball with the ball cradled in his gut.

Our full-back, Bobby Duncan, sized up the situation perfectly. He couldn't just kick Wilson, much as Wilson deserved it (Crawley was itching to send some of our guys off) but he COULD play the ball. So he did. Full welly straight into Wilson's gut at point-blank range. The ball shot straight up in the air about 40 feet and dropped nicely for Bobby to take it under control and set off on a run for the corner-flag.

Wilson was carried off in two pieces. Turnbull was effing and blinding at the linesman, one Bill Mullen, who told him courteously that from where he had been standing, (about 10 yards away) Duncan had clearly played the ball. And that Turnbull should shut it or he'd be reported. :greengrin

We won 1-0.

Albion Hibs
21-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Murray smashing Ricksen in front of the dugout at Easter Road, leaving wee eck shaking his head at Ricksen for rolling around like such a little girl.

Killiehibbie
21-06-2011, 11:26 AM
A young John Collins goes in for a 50/50 with some big brute in hoops and the bear was well and truly flattened.

malcky
21-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Spot on,my heart was in my mouth THE perfect tackle

NOLA
21-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Anything nasty in a derby. Fletcher on Berra (the brown trout). Deek on Skacel. Hunter on Colquhoun. Murray decapitating Black. Ivan stamping on random yam in the semi. Something like that.

lewis taking out aguiar :agree:

Bristolhibby
21-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Was just reading the thread about Fyvie and Murray's tackle on him.It got me to thinking about the tackle from Murray on Hinkel a couple of seasons ago right in front of the West, for pace power and accuracy it was probably one of the tackles that sticks in my mind most. Hinkel must have thought he'd been hit by a train and we still talk about it now. Any similar tackles you can remember. After all if you can remember a tackle it must have been special!

When I saw this thread that was my initial thought. Hinkle literally flipped in the air. Massive cheer and a rendition of "one Ian Murray".

Squiggler game winning 2-0 to boot.

Anyone got it on tape/YouTube?

J

RoscoHibby
21-06-2011, 12:35 PM
In the blobby days, playing killie at ER, sure game finished 2-2. Anyway, that wee winger Stevie Murray is having the 1st half of his life, literally playing like Ryan Giggs. Up against Alen Orman, he's already skinned Orman at least 6-7 times and all their danger was coming down that side. Fans giving Orman stick, but not a lot he could do, the guy was really on his game. So just before HT, 50/50 ball, touchline on the west stand side. Red mist descends. Murray does get a touch on the ball 1st, but has only proceeded to touch it against Orman who is already in mid-air having thrown himself at it. I've never seen any player in the air as high as this wee guy was, was only 10 rows back, and even the sound of him landing sounded really sore. Needless to say he didn't get another kick after that, was a collective wince around the ground at connection, was lucky to stay on the park. Ferocious doesn't really do it justice.

thebakerboy
21-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Has to be Tam Forsyth (yes that dirty hun) on Mick Channon for Scotland against England when Channon was running in on an open goal.Everyone had their eyes covered as the infamous Tam came charging in and as everyone thought PENALTY and Red card or Channon skips past and scores but Tam took the ball off his toe clean as a whistle SUPERB tackle and the only time I ever cheered for that dirty barsteward.

--------
21-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Has to be Tam Forsyth (yes that dirty hun) on Mick Channon for Scotland against England when Channon was running in on an open goal.Everyone had their eyes covered as the infamous Tam came charging in and as everyone thought PENALTY and Red card or Channon skips past and scores but Tam took the ball off his toe clean as a whistle SUPERB tackle and the only time I ever cheered for that dirty barsteward.

Glad you agree with malcky and me. :devil:

As said, I did NOT like Forsyth even a little as a player, but that tackle lives in the memory.

That was in the days when we played England every year and the result mattered - it was an international local derby.

Channon threw himself down over Forsyth's leg and I thought, "Penalty - that's it, they've got the draw..." - which is what every other Scot in Hampden that day was thinking right then - and then we saw the ball rolling quietly over the by-line and the ref signalling an England throw.

It's a bit like John Greig's goal against Italy in 1965 - wionderful moment, but the only thought I have about it is, why did it have to be HIM? :devil:

Hibercelona
21-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Sodjes.... the way he tucks it in before every game is something to be admired. :aok:

ancient hibee
21-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Shades and Forsyth-a 50/50 ball-only one of them got up.

It wasn't Forsyth.

Bostonhibby
21-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Remember the lead-up to the cross for No:7 at Tynie, when Shades was so far from the ball, but was hell bent on making it .... As he always did... :not worth

:greengrin Happy days, I recall a great one in the same era by John Blackley that left alleged hard man and later double winning manager, Alex McDonald of the Hun rolling about in agony and JB never even got booked!

--------
21-06-2011, 04:25 PM
:greengrin Happy days, I recall a great one in the same era by John Blackley that left alleged hard man and later double winning manager, Alex McDonald of the Hun rolling about in agony and JB never even got booked!

He did the same to John Greig, IIRC.

Barney McGrew
21-06-2011, 04:31 PM

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/JohnGreigvJohnBlackley.jpg

Bostonhibby
21-06-2011, 04:45 PM

It was that one I was thinking of, thanks!

Hopefully he did McDonald at some point as well.

Bostonhibby
21-06-2011, 04:46 PM

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/JohnGreigvJohnBlackley.jpg

:thumbsup: Thats the one!

HibeeMackenzie
21-06-2011, 04:58 PM
mikey stewart trying to tackle spoony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBQvgKZL5QQ

Ferryhibby
21-06-2011, 06:46 PM
any tackle by Erich Shaedler, John Blackley or Jackie Macnamara

calumhibee1
21-06-2011, 07:10 PM
is this the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F43eW6aS8Zk

Don't think so, season after i think!

Reaper
21-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Another Yam legend gets it for me. Best tackle ever, Vladimir Romanov tackling Yams debt! :greengrin

Crab apple
21-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Pretty sure McManus got away with an absolute stinker of a stud rake down Baldé's leg. Brown caught Captain Caveman a beauty as well.

That was a good one. It was at the PBS. I think the Caveman was out for weeks after that and iirc Scotty also got injured such was the impact.

Pete
22-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Maybe doesn't fall into the "best" category but one of the most important was by a Hearts player in the 2006 Scottish cup final.
I remember Gretna had equalised and were on top when one of their players burst through, rounded the goalkeeper and only had to roll it into the net.
I think it was Robbie Neillson who put in an excellent "offputting tackle"...the sort where the boy missed simply due to his presence.
Even all us hibbys in the pub were applauding that due to the sheer determination shown and the situation it was in. Wish he hadn't made it but credit where it's due.

And I'd also like to mention Ashley Cole and Stan Collymore...because they are black and have large genitalia.

lyonhibs
22-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Maybe doesn't fall into the "best" category but one of the most important was by a Hearts player in the 2006 Scottish cup final.
I remember Gretna had equalised and were on top when one of their players burst through, rounded the goalkeeper and only had to roll it into the net.
I think it was Robbie Neillson who put in an excellent "offputting tackle"...the sort where the boy missed simply due to his presence.
Even all us hibbys in the pub were applauding that due to the sheer determination shown and the situation it was in. Wish he hadn't made it but credit where it's due.

And I'd also like to mention Ashley Cole and Stan Collymore...because they are black and have large genitalia.

IIRC Caveman Jr actually got the ball and knocked it out for a corner. Great saving tackle.
The dickhead :greengrin

grantonhibee
22-06-2011, 04:41 PM
http://youtu.be/Eg-5mFDDMnk

check this from that filthy barsteward souness offt

SmokieJoe
22-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Pat Mcginly on some yam at the duggou/tunnel area, best 2 ft'd airborn tackle eva!!

NAE NOOKIE
22-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Maurice Malpas in the first half Scotland v France in a world cup qualifier at Hampden. The one we won 2 - 0 in the pouring rain, cant remember the year now coz I'm gettin' auld :greengrin

He won the ball in a crunching tackle just outside our box, the ball broke 10 yards and he still got there first to win the second tackle with an equally crunching effort. Totally brilliant to watch and really got the crowd going.

Sad to say both tackles would probably have been penalised today.

Hibercelona
22-06-2011, 10:06 PM
mikey stewart trying to tackle spoony

Lets not forget his attempt to tackle a water bottle. I couldn't remember who came off worst from the incident, so needed a little reminder... :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EVLpoDSYX4