PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian 2011-2012 - How Are We Shaping Up?

Speedway
17-06-2011, 07:58 PM
With most departures confirmed and the desired size of squad known, here's where I think we're up to, with players listed in their main positions.

Goalkeepers
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Callum Antell

Defenders
Michael Hart
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Paul Hanlon
Sean O'Hanlon
Callum Booth
Scott Smith

Midfielders
Sir Edwinmund of De Graafinator
Lewis Stevenson
Daniel Galbraith
Ivan Spoule
Victor Palsson
Matt Thornhill
Martin Scott
David Wotherspoon
Sean Welsh
Lewis Horner
Scott Taggart
David Crawford

Forwards
Garry O'Connor
Akpo Sodje

So that's 24 with 4 or 5 kids to go out on loan. Looking at how well stocked we are in midfield, I'm guessing Lewis only got a deal because he can cover a left back.

How do you think we're shaping up?

Andy74
17-06-2011, 08:01 PM
We're pish.

R'Albin
17-06-2011, 08:04 PM
With most departures confirmed and the desired size of squad known, here's where I think we're up to, with players listed in their main positions.

Goalkeepers
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Callum Antell

Defenders
Michael Hart
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Paul Hanlon
Sean O'Hanlon
Callum Booth
Scott Smith

Midfielders
Lewis Stevenson
Daniel Galbraith
Ivan Spoule
Victor Palsson
Matt Thornhill
Martin Scott
David Wotherspoon
Sean Welsh
Lewis Horner
Scott Taggart
David Crawford

Forwards
Garry O'Connor
Akpo Sodje

So that's 24 with 4 or 5 kids to go out on loan. Looking at how well stocked we are in midfield, I'm guessing Lewis only got a deal because he can cover a left back.

We are obviously needing more strikers but I am happy with that squad with the exception of Hart and De Graaf, and I'm definately looking forward to next season.:flag:

Edit: We badly need a right back.

PaulSmith
Popular opinion or not but we're still 3 Gary O'Connor type signings away from even getting into the top 6.

HibbyRod
We're pish.

:greengrin

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Goalkeepers
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Callum Antell

Defenders
Michael Hart
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Paul Hanlon
Sean O'Hanlon
Callum Booth
Scott Smith

Midfielders
Lewis Stevenson
Daniel Galbraith
Ivan Spoule
Victor Palsson
Matt Thornhill
Martin Scott
David Wotherspoon
Sean Welsh
Lewis Horner
Scott Taggart
David Crawford

Forwards
Garry O'Connor
Akpo Sodje

If we could move out the 2 in bold, and move in younger and hungrier replacemnents I'd be fairly happy.

:agree:

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Popular opinion or not but we're still 3 Gary O'Connor type signings away from even getting into the top 6.

IMO that's utter nonsense.

Speedway
17-06-2011, 08:07 PM
We're pish.

What flavour of pish?

R'Albin
17-06-2011, 08:08 PM
If we could move out the 2 in bold, and move in younger and hungrier replacemnents I'd be fairly happy.

Is Nade available?:greengrin

Andy74
17-06-2011, 08:08 PM
What flavour of pish?

Dont know yet.

PaulSmith
17-06-2011, 08:18 PM
IMO that's utter nonsense.

IMO it's realistic, 2 forwards ffs and several players listed who have not even made 10 apps for the club yet.

Andy74
17-06-2011, 08:20 PM
IMO it's realistic, 2 forwards ffs and several players listed who have not even made 10 apps for the club yet.

Not even ten. There is only one app as far as I can see. It's pish as well. That lot clearly lack development skills.

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 08:21 PM

I still believe that that squad with a proper pre-season ( and the 2 changes I mentioned) would make top 6 based on the current competition.

Removed
17-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I still believe that that squad with a proper pre-season ( and the 2 changes I mentioned) would make top 6 based on the current competition.

And some decent tactics :agree:

PaulSmith
17-06-2011, 08:24 PM

Right then, so you actually do believe the same as I do that we need another 2/3 quality players to make the top 6 with ease.

Speedway
17-06-2011, 08:28 PM

Would agree with that.

R'Albin
17-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Current Squad

Goalkeepers
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Callum Antell

Defenders
Michael Hart
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Paul Hanlon
Sean O'Hanlon
Callum Booth
Scott Smith

Midfielders
Lewis Stevenson
Daniel Galbraith
Ivan Spoule
Victor Palsson
Matt Thornhill
Martin Scott
David Wotherspoon
Sean Welsh
Lewis Horner
Scott Taggart
David Crawford

Forwards
Garry O'Connor
Akpo Sodje

Squad from last year at the end of the summer:

GOALKEEPERS

Graham Stack
Thomas Flynn
Graeme Smith
Mark Brown

DEFENDERS

Michael Hart
Francis Dickoh
Steven Thicot
Lewis Stevenson
Paul Hanlon
David Stephens
Callum Booth
Scott Smith
Scott Taggart
Sol Bamba
MIDFIELDERS

Ian Murray
John Rankin
Kevin Mcbride
Danny Galbraith
David Wotherspoon
Lewis Horner
Sean Welsh
Liam Miller
Edwin De Graaf
Merouane Zemmama
FORWARDS

Colin Nish
Derek Riordan
Darryl Duffy
Kurtis Byrne
Daniel Handling

I may have missed out a few, but anyway I think this years squad is stronger:agree:

Bishop Hibee
17-06-2011, 08:34 PM

:top marks Right back, central midfielder and forward.

zlatan
17-06-2011, 08:35 PM
If we can ditch Hart and de Graff and bring back Towelie and another couple of strikers I'd be happy enough. Maybe still in need of a creative midfielder and another winger as Galbraith seems somewhat injury prone.

Hiber-nation
17-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Midfielders
Lewis Stevenson
Daniel Galbraith
Ivan Spoule
Victor Palsson
Matt Thornhill
Martin Scott
David Wotherspoon
Sean Welsh
Lewis Horner
Scott Taggart
David Crawford

If we don't sign a creative midfielder then a lot will rest on Thornhill's shoulders. I'm sure the 3rd striker will arrive soon.

Of course a right back is essential.

Saorsa
17-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Right back, Forward and somebody a bit creative in the middle still required IMO. I'd punt Hart and De Graff, probably no find anybody tae take them though unfortunately.

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Right then, so you actually do believe the same as I do that we need another 2/3 quality players to make the top 6 with ease.

The 2 words in bold weren't in your first post.
Consistently our competition for top 6 comes from the OF,hertz,the sheep,arabs, killie & the mothers.

We'll not compete with the OF and, apart from us and hertz, no-one else has strengthened .
So, looking at current squads I'm relatively confident.

p.s. I can only see us strengthening in the coming weeks but hertz could still be off-loading a few if the money's right, so their squad could well be weaker.

EVENTUALLY
17-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Goalkeepers
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Callum Antell

Defenders
Michael Hart
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Paul Hanlon
Sean O'Hanlon
Callum Booth
Scott Smith

Midfielders
Lewis Stevenson
Daniel Galbraith
Ivan Spoule
Victor Palsson
Matt Thornhill
Martin Scott
David Wotherspoon
Sean Welsh
Lewis Horner
Scott Taggart
David Crawford

Forwards
Garry O'Connor
Akpo Sodje

Stack

Smith
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Sproule
Welsh
Palsson
Thornhill

O'Connor
Galbraith

That's the team I would start with out of that squad. I would do everything I could if I was CC to move on De Graff and Hart and bring in another 2 defenders. Sodje did very well for himself and Hibs last season but I'd like to see a more acomplished forward added to the squad. I'd also like Wotherspoon to be given a chance to settle in a fixed position as I feel he has gone backwards having been asked to fill in at so many different positions. Its likely that Horner or Crawford will go on loan but I would love to see one of them get a wee chance early on and really take it and kick right on. I'm happy to rely on Murray, Stevenson, Scott as subs who will come off the bench enthusiastically and Brown as a back up goalie.
Stephens may struggle to get a game and he looks to me like he needs to be a bit more aggressive but he'll be needed as cover for suspensions.

Wish List.....Jamie Murphy at Motherwell
Rooney or Porter
Mark Reynolds at Sheffield Wed
David Clarkson at Bristol
A proper right back, not Towell or Wotherspoon converted midfielders

sahib
17-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Keep the kids and put a fair few that have had their turn out on loan.

GreenCastle
17-06-2011, 09:07 PM
x 2 right backs - Hart is slow and useless

x 1 left back cover for Booth

x 1 or 2 creative midfielders - need some supply to our forwards.

x 2 forwards - Sodje and GOC will do fine but injuries / suspensions etc will happen - speed needed up top.

I would probably bring in an up and coming GK and a wide left player also.

Total of 7 or 8 more players for competition for places. :agree:

Won't happen though :grr:

Aldo
17-06-2011, 09:08 PM
I am greedy and want the following

Caldwell
Stewart
Rooney
Towell

and wait for it

a n other striker

in the shape of

marlon Harewood.

Would that do.

O we have we not forgotten the loanees....Airey/Cairney etc or are they not happening???

A boy can dream can he not. :greengrin

Ed De Gramo
17-06-2011, 09:14 PM
How about people wipe the slate clean and let De Graaf show what he can do under a better manager?

When played just behind the striker he showed he has something (at Ibrox behind Trakys and also against Motherwell before he went off injured).

marinello59
17-06-2011, 09:19 PM
How about people wipe the slate clean and let De Graaf show what he can do under a better manager?

When played just behind the striker he showed he has something (at Ibrox behind Trakys and also against Motherwell before he went off injured).

Hopefully that will happen Gramo. If CC does decide he is worth playing for us again then a bit of positive backing from the stands will be essential.

PaulSmith
17-06-2011, 09:26 PM

I actually agree about De Graaf, give him some backing early doors and we might have the player that we all thought we might have got

Andy74
17-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Agree, but the minds are made up. First mistake and that'll be it.

Sir David Gray
17-06-2011, 09:37 PM
We're about 5 or 6 players away from having a squad capable of challenging for Europe.

The squad we have just now will see us end up in the bottom six.

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Agree, but the minds are made up. First mistake and that'll be it.

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 10:33 PM
We're about 5 or 6 players away from having a squad capable of challenging for Europe.

The squad we have just now will see us end up in the bottom six.

That's never going to happen.

Sir David Gray
17-06-2011, 10:42 PM
That's never going to happen.

What isn't?

Us challenging for Europe or us signing 5 or 6 new players? :wink:

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2011, 10:43 PM
We need a right back, Wotherspoon can fill in when required though. Another Centre half, a playmaking midfielder and i'd like a wide left midfielder too, plus one more forward.

At the minute we'd still struggle to make top 6 imo.

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 10:52 PM
What isn't?

Us challenging for Europe or us signing 5 or 6 new players? :wink:

We're never going to bring in 5 new players now.
I we did we'd be bringing in poor quality or going way over budget.

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 10:54 PM
We need a right back, Wotherspoon can fill in when required though. Another Centre half, a playmaking midfielder and i'd like a wide left midfielder too, plus one more forward.

At the minute we'd still struggle to make top 6 imo.

We might get the bold ones.

IberianHibernian
17-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Squad looks very poor in terms of ability and entertainment value but that doesn`t mean that we can`t make top 6 since most other SPL clubs are also terrible . Test of club`s ambition is whether top 6 or even top 4 but with a bad team is considered acceptable . Thinking that getting rid of Hart and De Graff will solve problems is naive to say least just as expecting players who did well 5 years ago but have failed since to suddenly lift us is .

Westie1875
17-06-2011, 11:34 PM
We definitely need another striker and a right back.

I reckon we could see Sproule playing up front a fair bit, he has done well there in the past for us and would be ideal alongside GOC or Sodje.

Franck Stanton
17-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Just my opinion but with the three new players already signed we will finish in top 6 easily, Stack and O'Hanlon should tighten up the defence thereby we shouldn't lose so many silly goals like last season. Ivan will provide much needed assists from the r/wing as well as chipping in a few goals himself and Gary O , even if he is only half the player he was a few years ago will still score goals for fun in the SPL. As I said, just my opinion, in fact if we get another two decent players, [ a steady r/b, a playmaker for c/m], then it is not beyond the realms of possibillity we could be in top 4.

Saorsa
17-06-2011, 11:44 PM
We might get the bold ones.I'd settle for that, it'd give us a fighting chance IMO :agree: If we dinnae I think we'll struggle TBH.

greenlex
17-06-2011, 11:55 PM
De Graffs erse is oot the windae. If Calderwood thought he could do a job he wouldnt have been punted back to dutch football.

HibeeSince85
18-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Too many midfielders there who offer nothing in creativity, Sproule is the only one, we need a RB, a centre mid who can create and at least one striker.

Calderwood looks to know his signings though and the 3 so far look promising, I think we'll be alright.

Steve20
18-06-2011, 04:18 AM
We still need a right back, another centre half, a left midfielder and two strikers in my opinion. I can't see us bringing in another five players though.

col02
18-06-2011, 04:36 AM
The squad on paper as it stands at the moment is weaker than the squad that finished the season imho. O'Connor for Riordan gives a different dimension to our forward play but does not necessarily replace Riordans goals. Sproule for lets say Miller is open for argument as to whether that will improve us. Miller imho when on his game was quality and could see the type of pass that now we might struggle to see. Sproules pace though is a handy attribute to have. O'Hanlon for Dickoh is maybe an improvement as Dickoh would look good one minute only to have a lapse of concentration. I reckon we are two good signings away from being a better squad than last term and this is assuming Towell or another right back is signed outwith these two players I mention.

Main thing for me so far is the re-signing of Stack as when fit he leads the defence well. With O'Hanlon in there too supposedly being a leader it is good for the likes of Booth and Hanlon. Midfield I worry about the potential lack of creativity. Might get shot down here but a central midfield duo of Wotherspoon and Thornhill would imho give us a balance as well as some creativity. That said Palsson for the bigger games sitting behind them with just one up front would be the way I would go.

MyJo
18-06-2011, 08:16 AM
IMO get rid of hart, sign towell for right back.
another defender that can cover ch or rb
another out and out striker, a poacher preferably and a quick striker/left winger.

give de graaf until january to prove himself as i think he has the talent to be a creative influence in the middle of the park if he is given the chance, if he doesn't do it then replace him in the transfer window.

lyonhibs
18-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately, people thinking we'll be signing 5 more players this window are in for a bitter dose of disappointment.

I think we'll get a new RB, a new striker and - maybe - a new central midfielder.

blackpoolhibs
18-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately, people thinking we'll be signing 5 more players this window are in for a bitter dose of disappointment.

I think we'll get a new RB, a new striker and - maybe - a new central midfielder.

Not sure there's many thinking we will get 5 more signings, we probably need 5 more to challenge for a european place though?

frazeHFC
18-06-2011, 09:39 AM
We badly need a right back, left mid and a striker or too, but of the players we have i feel this is the best XI:

Stack

Wotherspoon O'Hanlon Hanlon Booth

Sproule Thornhill Palsson Galbraith

O'Connor Sodje

number 27
18-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I would like 4 more but I will be happy enough wit just a forward and a RB if they are of sufficient quality. One of the plusses for our current squad is that that there is a fair degree of versality to it which should get us through.

I am a wee bit worried about only 2 goalkeepers given stack's injury record but I suppose that's a risk we may have to take.

Broken Gnome
18-06-2011, 10:33 AM
We badly need a right back, left mid and a striker or too, but of the players we have i feel this is the best XI:

Stack

Wotherspoon O'Hanlon Hanlon Booth

Sproule Thornhill Palsson Galbraith

O'Connor Sodje

You would think that there's probably enough in that team, playing to a possibly overly-optimistic consistency and standard, to push for a top six place and likely finish 7th or 8th. The defence looks passable with the obvious need for strengthening, there's goals and assists in Sproule, Thornhill and Galbraith (that's the overly optimistic part) and O'Connor and Sodje would be a handful (to think people wanted Higdon.....)

On the more realistic side of things, it wouldn't take much misfortune or suspension to badly damage that side and render us extremely average. We still look a lot more likely to win a game or prove difficult to beat than we did two weeks ago though. Progress, with the guarantee of more to come.

Expecting Rain
18-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I See it as O`Connor, Sproule and O`Hanlon replacing Riordan, Miller and Dickoh so far, looks like we`ve possibly been weakened in that respect, much of the responsibility wether they like it or really deserve it at this stage of their careers will fall on Hanlon, Booth and Weatherspoon,yet another season of patience and transition ahead i`m afraid.

basehibby
18-06-2011, 12:23 PM
We're a long way off the finished article IMO. IIRC we've seen about 10 players depart so far with only 3 coming in. Even if the standard of signings in O'Connor and Sproule is encouraging (don't know much about O'Hanlon although I think he might do well in the SPL) it is not nearly enough to bridge the gap which we saw between Hibs and a European challenge last season.

We desperately need to see more options up front and are still thin at centre back and right back. Most significantly IMO following the departures of Miller and Zemama, we have a paucity of creativity in midfield which will definately need to be addressed if we are to see any impact made on the top six this season.

sleeping giant
18-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Goalkeepers
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Callum Antell

Defenders
Michael Hart
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Paul Hanlon
Sean O'Hanlon
Callum Booth
Scott Smith

Midfielders
Lewis Stevenson
Daniel Galbraith
Ivan Spoule
Victor Palsson
Matt Thornhill
Martin Scott
David Wotherspoon
Sean Welsh
Lewis Horner
Scott Taggart
David Crawford

Forwards
Garry O'Connor
Akpo Sodje

Midfield needs beefing up still as well as the striking positions.
Sproule , Wotherspoon,Thornhill , Scott and Palsson is not much choice imo.

Need at least another 1 in midfield (maybe 2) need another striker and hopefully get Towell back.

At least 3 more players needed. Could do with 5 for decent cover.

Broken Gnome
18-06-2011, 01:08 PM
This thread, and its seemingly acceptable acknowledgment of our less than ideal squad, is now null and void. As the Express says we'll finish third.

Always liked that paper....

moredun
18-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Does no-one think that although still young, we do need an experienced creative player in the middle, but i think Welsh deserves a shot in there, maybe after a while but he was/is a quality player, i hope he steps up to the plate and gives CC a pleasant headache.
Also Smith and we have Booth and another couple of youngsters that i do not know much about, but if we get the experience in, a RB, CM and a striker, we, well me anyway, would like to see these guys get some game time as well, as imo they could go on to become top players, well Welsh, Booth and for what i have seen of Smith also, and not forgetting Spoony, who i think has just lost his was a little bit, but was/is a very good young player.
How good would it be if we were to do as it was with TM, bring a few youngsters through, but this time being able to add the experience for the youngsters to learn from, for me that was our big downfall, not adding the experience when desperately needed in the TM era

hibee-shtuggie
18-06-2011, 01:24 PM
this may sound stupid but aliadiere does not currently have a club...potential centre forward anyone?

hibee-shtuggie
18-06-2011, 01:28 PM
here a list of current free agents...decent names up there, no excuses

http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa-transfer-list?name=FullName&page=4

Cheshire Hibee
18-06-2011, 01:54 PM

How about Stuart Parnaby at right back 28 good experienced full back at Premier & Championship level.

hibee-shtuggie
18-06-2011, 01:57 PM
How about Stuart Parnaby at right back 28 good experienced full back at Premier & Championship level.

theres a few good right backs on that list that we could definately sign and would please the fans. Parnaby may be a shout

CB_NO3
18-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I love your enthusiasm mate, but we are no way near a top 6 team at the minute. We are so much weaker than we were last season and last season we were gash.

R'Albin
18-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I love your enthusiasm mate, but we are no way near a top 6 team at the minute. We are so much weaker than we were last season and last season we were gash.

I believe we are/will be, our squad has definately improved from the end of last season. As people earlier have compared, G'oc, Sproule and O'Hanlon for Riordan, Miller and Dickoh. Imo O'connor, Sproule and O'Hanlon are better players. Add to this we will probably sign 2-3 more players.

I'm confident we will be a top 6 team next season:agree:

Centre Hawf
18-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Goalkeepers
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Callum Antell

Defenders
Michael Hart Replace with Richie Towell if possible.
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Paul Hanlon
Sean O'Hanlon
Callum Booth
Scott Smith

Midfielders
Sir Edwinmund of De Graafinator Get Rid
Lewis Stevenson
Daniel Galbraith
Ivan Spoule
Victor Palsson
Matt Thornhill
Martin Scott
David Wotherspoon
Sean Welsh
Lewis Horner
Scott Taggart
David Crawford

Forwards
Garry O'Connor
Akpo Sodje
Adam Rooney
Loan striker from downsouth

Those changes and we have ourselves a team that can compete for top 6

Beefster
18-06-2011, 03:48 PM

That's about the size of it. While Sproule, O'Connor and O'Hanlon all seem like useful additions, the rump of the squad are the players who were utter dross last season.

I'm sure it's just me but I really hope that we don't get Towell from Celtic either.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I believe we are/will be, our squad has definately improved from the end of last season. As people earlier have compared, G'oc, Sproule and O'Hanlon for Riordan, Miller and Dickoh. Imo O'connor, Sproule and O'Hanlon are better players. Add to this we will probably sign 2-3 more players.

I'm confident we will be a top 6 team next season:agree:

Although I hope he does well, people shouldnae put too much faith in Gary O, I think hes scored about 20 league goals since he left us. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we make the top 6.

stantonhibby
18-06-2011, 04:12 PM
That's about the size of it. While Sproule, O'Connor and O'Hanlon all seem like useful additions, the rump of the squad are the players who were utter dross last season.

I'm sure it's just me but I really hope that we don't get Towell from Celtic either.

no its not just you

he's an improvement on Hart ( not difficult) but I'd like to think we can do better

HibsMax
18-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I think things are shaping up nicely. I don't believe that the only way a team can get better is by bringing in new players, I believe that the current players can get better too - either through practice and experience or because of the influence of the new players we've brought in. I know that so far we only brought in O'Sproule [sic], O'Connor and O'Hanlon but there are all the other players that were brought in in January. Also, nobody has ever seen these guys play together so I think it's a little soon to be saying "top six" or "bottom six". The players we have now could gel instantly and be a formidable force. Or the reverse could be true and we get pumped every week (not in a good way).

I do agree that we need more signings though, if for no other reason than depth.

marinello59
18-06-2011, 04:26 PM
I think things are shaping up nicely. I don't believe that the only way a team can get better is by bringing in new players, I believe that the current players can get better too - either through practice and experience or because of the influence of the new players we've brought in. I know that so far we only brought in O'Sproule [sic], O'Connor and O'Hanlon but there are all the other players that were brought in in January. Also, nobody has ever seen these guys play together so I think it's a little soon to be saying "top six" or "bottom six". The players we have now could gel instantly and be a formidable force. Or the reverse could be true and we get pumped every week (not in a good way).

I do agree that we need more signings though, if for no other reason than depth.
Synergy.

Sir David Gray
18-06-2011, 04:38 PM
We're never going to bring in 5 new players now.
I we did we'd be bringing in poor quality or going way over budget.

Not sure there's many thinking we will get 5 more signings, we probably need 5 more to challenge for a european place though?

I don't think for one second that we'll sign five more players between now and the end of August but looking at our current squad, I think we need that to be able to compete for Europe next season.

I think that what we have just now will see us struggling to get into the top six.

Albion Hibs
20-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Regardless of whether these guys are free agents there is still the matter of wages, and the reality is we just do not complete with a vast number of leagues down south. There will be plenty of clubs before a lot of these players reach what we will pay, especially for guys that are 28 and have played in the championship and premiership.

On other matters I think there is no chance we will sign anywhere near 5 players, and I dont think the club would set up a team for next year that they thought was gash, so I will show faith in what they have done to date and say if we could get in a creative midfielder I would be pretty happy.

matty_f
20-06-2011, 11:33 PM
The key thing is that CC has to be able to get that squad to operate better than the sum of it's parts. I think we have a better blend of players than last season, added a bit more heart and fight to the team, not to mention pace. Still looks short of quality though.

Iain G
21-06-2011, 12:15 AM
There will be plenty of clubs before a lot of these players reach what we will pay, especially for guys that are 28 and have played in the championship and premiership.

Did we not say that about Mr G O'Connor too.. :greengrin

AlbertK86
21-06-2011, 07:05 PM

Wot about the boy Steven Wright. Now at brentford and 31 year old but played for Liverpool and Sunderland before.

Has the experience we need plus he is 6'1".

Liked Towell and thought Spoony was good there in his first season but both are oompah loompah's and we have been caught out at both full back position with a lack of height. Would like to see Booth stay in team despite his lack of height as he has so much to give us going forward. Might even be tempted to play him left midfield since we are needing someone there and Scott Smith who is a bit bigger and an extremely aggressive player at left back

Cropley10
21-06-2011, 07:45 PM
So the question is how are we shaping up? The answer surely is no-one knows, it's the second day of pre-season. We've signed 1 player and re-signed 2 - less than in any year I can recall....

What I'd like to understand is more about the master-plan to allow so many players to leave during the same year. Apparently it was to allow a re-building exercise. Right now I'd say we've re-built nothing - nowhere near it.

I'm happy to wait and see what happens, but I'm certainly not expecting top 6.