PDA

View Full Version : Terry Gornell

Daz1875
17-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Daily mail reports hibs after 21yr old terry gornell from accrington Stanley (who are they?...... Exactly) just wondered if anyone knew anything about the lad?

Petrie's Tache
17-06-2011, 09:01 AM
He was release by Tranmere after they signed what they believed better strikers, one of them was Sam Morrow!

--------
17-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Accrington Stanley went out of business sometime during the 1950s or early 60s.

They were re-formed as a non-league club in 1968 and only recently made it back into League Two of the Football League. They seem to be an ambitious, well-run wee club and were 5th in L2 last season. Fell out in the play-offs.

Respectable English lower-league club, in other words.

Gornell is a fairly big lad, a direct runner with a bit of pace, and only 21. What I heard was that the reason Stanley are clearing him and some others off their books is the same as the reason MK Dons are clearing Sean O'Hanlon and a few others off THEIR books - they didn't make it through the play-offs and they have to trim their budget back. It's much more about financial constraints than about the quality of the players concerned. In some cases they're actually having to release some of their better players and future prospects. It's the same for all the relegated clubs and those who failed in the play-offs - budget expectations aren't going to be what they hoped, so they have to cut their cloth to suit their bank accounts.

IMO CC is having to completely re-mould the squad - bigger, stronger more athletic (and more professionally-motivated) players - and Gornell, if he comes, will, I suspect be a player who CC will see as a squad player this season and a first-teamer next.

Allant1981
17-06-2011, 10:19 AM
He was release by Tranmere after they signed what they believed better strikers, one of them was Sam Morrow!

morrow has signed with ross county now

fat freddy
17-06-2011, 10:50 AM

they clearly don't know what t'morrow brings...:taxi

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2011, 11:27 AM
they clearly don't know what t'morrow brings...:taxi

In a world where few Hearts survive!

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Accrington Stanley went out of business sometime during the 1950s or early 60s.

They were re-formed as a non-league club in 1968 and only recently made it back into League Two of the Football League. They seem to be an ambitious, well-run wee club and were 5th in L2 last season. Fell out in the play-offs.

Respectable English lower-league club, in other words.

Gornell is a fairly big lad, a direct runner with a bit of pace, and only 21. What I heard was that the reason Stanley are clearing him and some others off their books is the same as the reason MK Dons are clearing Sean O'Hanlon and a few others off THEIR books - they didn't make it through the play-offs and they have to trim their budget back. It's much more about financial constraints than about the quality of the players concerned. In some cases they're actually having to release some of their better players and future prospects. It's the same for all the relegated clubs and those who failed in the play-offs - budget expectations aren't going to be what they hoped, so they have to cut their cloth to suit their bank accounts.

IMO CC is having to completely re-mould the squad - bigger, stronger more athletic (and more professionally-motivated) players - and Gornell, if he comes, will, I suspect be a player who CC will see as a squad player this season and a first-teamer next.

IIRC A.S. had a very close call, financially, just a couple of years back.

EDIT: Just found this
http://saveourstanley.co.uk/

sahib
17-06-2011, 12:27 PM
IIRC A.S. had a very close call, financially, just a couple of years back.

EDIT: Just found this
http://saveourstanley.co.uk/

The battle of the Somme did them no favours either.

Hibernia Na Eir
17-06-2011, 01:05 PM

morrow has signed for ross county

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 07:41 PM
The battle of the Somme did them no favours either.

Lest we Forget.

That the hertz never won the war on their own.

Centre Hawf
18-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I follow Accrington Stanley and i got the chance to go see them in the play offs. I doubt he would be good enough in my opinion, i dont know if its the 1 lone striker system we play that isolates him but he seems to be a tad anonymous.

Sir David Gray
18-06-2011, 06:25 PM

morrow has signed for ross county

He has now but I think the guy who mentioned this was talking about last year.

He was wrong to say that Tranmere released Gornell after they had brought in "better strikers, one of whom was Sam Morrow". Morrow signed for Tranmere about 3 days after Gornell had left to go to Accrington Stanley.

Obviously Morrow is at Ross County now.

hibbill2002
18-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I follow Accrington Stanley and i got the chance to go see them in the play offs. I doubt he would be good enough in my opinion, i dont know if its the 1 lone striker system we play that isolates him but he seems to be a tad anonymous.

Seen them against Bradford in April, I must say I cant remember this boy, but the big centre mid Andy proctor scored a cracker and he never stopped working the whole game.

Centre Hawf
18-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Seen them against Bradford in April, I must say I cant remember this boy, but the big centre mid Andy proctor scored a cracker and he never stopped working the whole game.

If i was to take anyone at hibs from there id take Jimmy Ryan. Likes the ball at his feet never stops moving attacking wise. And Joe Jacobson, cracking left back imo for league 2. Times a tackle well and has a bit of pace.

Proctor would be decent bit of height about him also. Also hes been a captain for a while so a leader too.

Hopefully CC sees this and signs them all up.

JohnScott
19-06-2011, 09:14 AM

Saw Accrington Stanley playing at Chesterfield and cant see any player on the park that night being good enough frankly. Stanley had an away support of about 30.
However I'm sure all of them know very little about the SPL and Hibs. Just when did we get so "big" that we can belittle teams like Accrington Stanley?

Centre Hawf
19-06-2011, 12:56 PM
If you think i was belittling Accy i can assure you i wasnt. Terry Gornell is not good enough for Accrington let alone Hibs.

darwenhibby
19-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Jimmy Ryan could do a job for Hibs.

Centre Hawf
19-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Jimmy Ryan could do a job for Hibs.

Agreed, i believe hes out of contract as well so its a low risk.

WellingtonHibby
20-06-2011, 03:05 AM
terry gornell from accrington stanley...

Is it just me or does this sound like a rumour straight out of the 1950s?

HibeeMG
20-06-2011, 04:17 AM
terry gornell from accrington stanley...

Is it just me or does this sound like a rumour straight out of the 1950s?

Yup, we're going to sign him up in exchange for a bag of balls and some goal nets! :wink:

ronaldo7
27-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Signed for ICT:wink:

Dibben
27-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Another one missed!!!

:greengrin

RickyS
04-07-2011, 09:12 PM
just signed for Shrewsbury according to SSN