PDA

View Full Version : One for the Oldies

crewetollhibee
16-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I remember being on holiday in Scarborough in the summer of 1978, and the papers down there saying we had signed David Reid and David Whyte from Leeds Utd. They were talked about a lot at the start of the next season, then they seemed to disappear. Anyone else recall those guys, and what became of them ?

IWasThere2016
16-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I remember being on holiday in Scarborough in the summer of 1978, and the papers down there saying we had signed David Reid and David Whyte from Leeds Utd. They were talked about a lot at the start of the next season, then they seemed to disappear. Anyone else recall those guys, and what became of them ?

I don't recall that at all mate - but then I struggle to recall what I had for tea these days! :boo hoo:

Purple & Green
16-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Reid played a single game: http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=824

Whyte never played at all.

The Harp
16-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Hi crewetollhibee, I think maybe you should add to the title of the thread ...
One for the Oldies who still have a memory!!! :wink:

crewetollhibee
17-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Hi crewetollhibee, I think maybe you should add to the title of the thread ...
One for the Oldies who still have a memory!!! :wink:
:top marks

Lucius Apuleius
17-06-2011, 05:33 AM
It was only in the '70s. Not like it is 50 years ago or anything is it????

And, no, never heard of them to be honest. :greengrin

Septimus
17-06-2011, 05:53 AM
I write my name on the back of my hand before going to bed. Reminds me who I am in the morning.

Hiber-nation
17-06-2011, 06:00 AM

I remember them, I've got the programme with an article heralding their arrival. But as you say they sunk without trace. Think I saw them for the reserves once. 2 of many poor signings in the late 70s.

Lucius Apuleius
17-06-2011, 06:26 AM
I remember them, I've got the programme with an article heralding their arrival. But as you say they sunk without trace. Think I saw them for the reserves once. 2 of many poor signings in the late 70s.

The poorest one being my marriage certificate:hide::idea:

Hiber-nation
17-06-2011, 08:04 PM
The poorest one being my marriage certificate:hide::idea:

:thumbsup:

WindyMiller
17-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I write my name on the back of my hand before going to bed. Reminds me who I am in the morning.

How do you remember to write your name on your hand at night.

edit; I've never heard of these players but remember bits of the 70's very fondly.

IberianHibernian
17-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Seem to remember these being two of several players who were signed in year we were relegated (79-80) , the year after the closest we`ve been to winning Scottish Cup since 1902 . We were relegated with about 5 games to go and these two made their debuts after relegation was clinched even though they had already been given free transfers ( in those days a free transfer was usually a bad thing for a player ) .

hibeg
18-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Jeez, 1978 is that really that long ago. I was 17 and if i remember they were supposed to play their debuts in a tourney called the Anglo Scottish cup ( the youngsters will not have a clue what i am on about here :greengrin). I can remember them both with the Bukta strips on the front cover of a programme, and then my memory fades as i cannot recall either of them after this. Did they not sign with that other great by the name of Joe Ward. God he was murder.
We sold Des Bremner to Villa and Joe came to us as part of the deal. The only thing I recall about him is missing an open goal on his debut v Dundee Utd. I don't think Joe even managed a goal for us but he was valued about 100k when we got this alleged goal scoring machine :confused:

Jonnyboy
18-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Lets just say they were NOT Hibs class :greengrin