PDA

View Full Version : A Seismic Shift in Morale, Expectation and Anticipation:

Pedantic_Hibee
16-06-2011, 09:23 PM
The past week on here has been symptomatic of the travails of being a Hibs fan.

Whilst this site provides users with a vehicle to swerve bewilderingly from one extreme to the other, we need to remind ourselves that the normal every day fan in the pub/street is pretty much straight down the middle with his club.

The internet, and thus the volume of people on it, fuels the debate and influences you and I far more than it possibly should. We take rumour as gospel, provide it with arms and legs and watch it mushroom into a 47 page thread of arguments, counter-arguments and toy-rattling.......usually over something that is far away from the truth or at least open to the conjecture that is held to account within the thread.

One signing, just one signing has lifted this board from doom and gloom, anger and bile, apathy and angst to excitement, applause, loyalty, faith and anticipation for the coming season.

And the subject matter himself can be described in one sentence as an "ex-Premiership footballer with international caps who has tallied up nearly £5 million in transfer fees" to a "fat, lazy, unfit and unwanted waster" in another.

Too often the facts are shoved to the side as we rage around on our keyboards spoiling for arguments and venting our spleen at anything and everything.

We're slow of the mark, others are signing players, we're missing out on players, typical Hibs, the board are tighter than HibbyAndy at the bar (allegedly :greengrin ), CC's heart's not in it.............and then one signing later and we've all collectively got our twangers out and are champing at the bit for the next signing.

It's a waiting game and whilst the temptation to rant and rave is high, we need to remember that the club ARE working their balls off to bring in new players and just because they do not shamelessly plug it and hype themselves up like other clubs do (usually ending with egg on their face), that doesn't mean that they're sat back smoking a cigar and thumbing through the money we pay to keep them employed.

We're the ones that end up with egg on our faces having wasted time and bandwith working our fingers to the bone having rattled off another futile attempt at rage on the internet.

I propose caution, patience and faith. The time to moan is September 1st when the window is closed, only then can we validly raise questions about what CC and the board have or haven't done.

A quick look back through transfer fees paid in the last 10 years would surely see ourselves comfortably in fourth behind the big spending bigots with their fan-backed resources and their diet counterpart with their maroon credit card.

This board have, are, and will, continue to back the manager to the very limit of their resources as well as not putting ourselves in financial crisis like before (admittedly the same said board lead us into those stormy waters so it's all the more relevant for them to steer clear of danger).

As much as we want to be in the know, we want to second guess, we want to hang onto every minute little bit of detail that we are fed so we can analyse it to the nth degree, we really don't even know a tenth of the full picture so I say we get behind the team, advocate a bit of patience and actually trust in CC and the board because despite all that has been said, they ARE working in your and my best interests; an interest that sees us being as competitive as we can be.

Onwards and upwards and of course, f*** the Hearts. :cgwa

Saorsa
16-06-2011, 09:27 PM
the board are tighter than HibbyAndy at the bar (allegedly :greengrin )Sorry even I have tae jump tae the defence of the Hibs board there, they're naewhere near that bad :greengrin

R'Albin
16-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Whilst this site provides users with a vehicle to swerve bewilderingly from one extreme to the other, we need to remind ourselves that the normal every day fan in the pub/street is pretty much straight down the middle with his club.

The internet, and thus the volume of people on it, fuels the debate and influences you and I far more than it possibly should. We take rumour as gospel, provide it with arms and legs and watch it mushroom into a 47 page thread of arguments, counter-arguments and toy-rattling.......usually over something that is far away from the truth or at least open to the conjecture that is held to account within the thread.

One signing, just one signing has lifted this board from doom and gloom, anger and bile, apathy and angst to excitement, applause, loyalty, faith and anticipation for the coming season.

And the subject matter himself can be described in one sentence as an "ex-Premiership footballer with international caps who has tallied up nearly £5 million in transfer fees" to a "fat, lazy, unfit and unwanted waster" in another.

Too often the facts are shoved to the side as we rage around on our keyboards spoiling for arguments and venting our spleen at anything and everything.

We're slow of the mark, others are signing players, we're missing out on players, typical Hibs, the board are tighter than HibbyAndy at the bar (allegedly :greengrin ), CC's heart's not in it.............and then one signing later and we've all collectively got our twangers out and are champing at the bit for the next signing.

It's a waiting game and whilst the temptation to rant and rave is high, we need to remember that the club ARE working their balls off to bring in new players and just because they do not shamelessly plug it and hype themselves up like other clubs do (usually ending with egg on their face), that doesn't mean that they're sat back smoking a cigar and thumbing through the money we pay to keep them employed.

We're the ones that end up with egg on our faces having wasted time and bandwith working our fingers to the bone having rattled off another futile attempt at rage on the internet.

I propose caution, patience and faith. The time to moan is September 1st when the window is closed, only then can we validly raise questions about what CC and the board have or haven't done.

A quick look back through transfer fees paid in the last 10 years would surely see ourselves comfortably in fourth behind the big spending bigots with their fan-backed resources and their diet counterpart with their maroon credit card.

This board have, are, and will, continue to back the manager to the very limit of their resources as well as not putting ourselves in financial crisis like before (admittedly the same said board lead us into those stormy waters so it's all the more relevant for them to steer clear of danger).

As much as we want to be in the know, we want to second guess, we want to hang onto every minute little bit of detail that we are fed so we can analyse it to the nth degree, we really don't even know a tenth of the full picture so I say we get behind the team, advocate a bit of patience and actually trust in CC and the board because despite all that has been said, they ARE working in your and my best interests; an interest that sees us being as competitive as we can be.

:top marks

HibeeSince85
16-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Yep, I agree with this - the net gives far more credibility to daft rumours that they would have got in the past and to have hibees having a go at each other - normally after the OP throws the grenade and sits back to watch is daft.

We've all been pissed off and raw after the last few years at Hibs but we need to at least try and get back on track.

Most importantly though - f*** the Hertz

Dalianwanda
16-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Great post...One of the best I've read on here in a long while :thumbsup:

Greentinted
16-06-2011, 09:35 PM
I think (for what it may be worth) that this is the start of Calderwood impressing his credentials on the team. The statement of intent was made with so many players being informed of their imminent release (which, in retrospect, tended to affect morale and performances come the fag-end of the season) which in turn was the herald of a new era on the playing side.
Obviously new faces were always going to be brought in as the manager moulds his team and while its still relatively early, the signs are, indeed, optimistic.

As I've said elsewhere, the time for judgement will be when the season is earnestly underway but hey, part of being a fan is all about opinions, hopes, conjecture and a desire to get in first with 'exclusives'. Nowt wrong wi that, but I'll sit tight until the spleen is given space to vent its fury.

Onwards and upwards.

bruno
16-06-2011, 09:47 PM

That's a good post showing how the internet and forums have changed our knowledge(or percieved knowledge) of events at our respective clubs.

In times gone by there was speculation in the papers leading to a scarf above the head picture or a non arrival. I think then though a non arrival was not often a surprise as by the time the papers had spun out the story for days on end it was obvious the players interest was elsewhere.

Now we cling onto the ITK posters for their little gems of info and react as though their word is God to the deal being sealed,then when thy're wrong is doesn't stop the frenzy fuelled by a little gossip or info growing arms and legs.

Now it's far more fun and we can not be bothered if a player is signing (if we think he won't), to desperately wanting him as he's a sure fire cert to lift the club (if we think he is) to not caring when he doesn't sign (when he's not). The beauty is this can all happen in a day on a forum.

Signings lke Kyle and O'connor can divide support and a few good performances and our minds have changed a couple of bad ones and out come the "I told you so" internet experts.

So todays O'Hanlon will be followed by tomorrows Caldwell will be followed by Saturday's Davie Weir.
Dozens of names will be mentioned all provoking reaction but in reality only a handful wll sign then this time next year when Bryson is taking the championship by storm or Nathan Tyson is scoring for fun we can turn round and say if only he'd signed he was that close. Reality is they were never close to signing for either of us but we will remember them as nearly men. Remember David Platt nearly signing. The one that got away!!!

Long live the tranfer madness on internet forums.

hibsbollah
16-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Very perceptive and thoughful. And thats just the title :-)

BEEJ
16-06-2011, 09:49 PM
The time to moan is September 1st when the window is closed, only then can we validly raise questions about what CC and the board have or haven't done.
No, you can't moan then either. Utterly forbidden.

At that stage we're on to DEFCON 2 * - "he needs more time to blend his new signings into the team". :greengrin

* copyright of Barney McGrew and the US military

MyJo
16-06-2011, 10:31 PM
twangers

:tee hee:

Cropley10
16-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I literally can't wait to see who we sign next. This plan to release so many players has given us a unique opportunity to build a new team. First Ivan and now Garry - think this is a huge season for us. Looking forward to many more exciting new signings:flag:

Brebners Bookie
16-06-2011, 11:37 PM
:top marks

Niffy
17-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Good post , but too many full quotes , I've burned out 3 mice with all the scrolling.

Ringothedog
17-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Good post , but too many full quotes , I've burned out 3 mice with all the scrolling.

Sorry but that is cruel, I will have to report you to the SSPCA and to the op.......:top marks

SmokieJoe
17-06-2011, 06:38 AM
I've been saying the same for ages, all these sack the board, CCmust go, punt the management staff, the cleaner,groundsmen etc....

rediculously short sighted, unimaginative, untrusting,faithless fickle bunch post on here.

admin, ban these Doomsayers.

:cgwa

persevere1875
17-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Remember David Platt nearly signing.

Please god no, He's s**t on Coronation Street. :wink:

down the slope
17-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I've been saying the same for ages, all these sack the board, CCmust go, punt the management staff, the cleaner,groundsmen etc....

rediculously short sighted, unimaginative, untrusting,faithless fickle bunch post on here.

admin, ban these Doomsayers.

:cgwa

Go on then , ban me.

marinello59
17-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Go on then , ban me.

You don't want that. What would you do with all the free time you had if you weren't posting on here? :greengrin

sahib
17-06-2011, 12:37 PM
This board have, are, and will, continue to back the manager to the very limit of their resources as well as not putting ourselves in financial crisis like before (admittedly the same said board lead us into those stormy waters so it's all the more relevant for them to steer clear of danger)

Oh yeah?

Cropley10
17-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Oh yeah?

Will be interesting to see the length of contracts handed out - we're either building a new team, or we're in a holding pattern and will be right back here in a years time.

Andy74
17-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Will be interesting to see the length of contracts handed out - we're either building a new team, or we're in a holding pattern and will be right back here in a years time.

I think that's football now and Dundee Utd handled this quite effectively for the last 5 years or so with one year loan deals and the like.

O'Connor is a good signing but so too were Stokes, Miller, Riordan and Murray.

Going back even the likes of O'Brien and Maka were big money signings with big expectations.

The board have tried their best I feel to pull out decent signings, whether the manager chooses the right ones at the right time is the key.

Captain Trips
17-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I think that's football now and Dundee Utd handled this quite effectively for the last 5 years or so with one year loan deals and the like.

O'Connor is a good signing but so too were Stokes, Miller, Riordan and Murray.

Going back even the likes of O'Brien and Maka were big money signings with big expectations.

The board have tried their best I feel to pull out decent signings, whether the manager chooses the right ones at the right time is the key.

I think Dundee UTd have had a fairly settled team actually compared to us, Kenneth, Goodwillie, Swanson, Dillon, Daly 5 key players all have done a good few seasons each with Bauban just away after about 4yrs making it 6. All of these guys are key players IMO

Speedway
17-06-2011, 08:05 PM

If we collectively got our twangers out, what bit are we all champing at?

sunshine1875
17-06-2011, 08:32 PM
It is unbelievable how rumours grow via the internet. A few weeks ago, I got a text from my son saying "Rooney has signed, it is all over the internet". So I say to my colleagues in the office, "Rooney has signed for Hibs". They in turn text their pals!! Their pals then come on to the fans forums and say "I believe Rooney has signed for Hibs :agree: Fact!" It just mushrooms. Posters come on here "I believe Rooney has signed :wink:"

It all seems so right "Rooney has signed for Hibs :woohoo:"

Until we find that it is a guy on the wind-up!!!:grr: