PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Craig Gordon, the world's third most expensive keeper ?

marleyhib
16-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Was reading about de Gae's (unfortunate name) transfer to Man U and was shocked to read that Gordon's Hearts -> Sunderland transfer is the 3rd highest fee paid for a keeper (according to the BBC).

Just shows you what a nutbag Roy Keane is. I can't quite believe the yams got nine million quid, something smelly fushy

Gianluigi Buffon - £32.6m
Angelo Peruzzi - £10.5m
Craig Gordon - £9m
Fabien Barthez - £7.8m
Gianluca Pagliuca - £7.5m

Reaper
16-06-2011, 06:49 PM
In fairness when you look at the two below him in the list I'd have picked an on form, injury free, Gordon over both, so in effect the price was right.

I'll never forget (can't remember what date) the derby when he clawed Rob Jone's header out the top corner in the dying minutes. Unbelievable. Best save I've ever seen at a game.

MyJo
16-06-2011, 07:14 PM
In fairness when you look at the two below him in the list I'd have picked an on form, injury free, Gordon over both, so in effect the price was right.

I'll never forget (can't remember what date) the derby when he clawed Rob Jone's header out the top corner in the dying minutes. Unbelievable. Best save I've ever seen at a game.

Smelly yam tramp but a brilliant keeper none the less and while the fee was inflated in terms of what is paid for a player from the SPL he would probably have cost more had he come through in a championship or lower premiership team. :agree:

Had he not been unlucky with injuries in the last few years i think he might have been in the running for the Man U gig himself TBH.

skipster7
16-06-2011, 07:15 PM
that was the 2-2 draw when zibi sold the jerseys after we were 2 up early on.great save:agree:

greenlex
16-06-2011, 07:37 PM
His value was measured by the plook.

PeterboroHibee
16-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I really rate Gordon, if he hadnt had so many problems with injuries would be up there with the best in the world imo, a top goalkeeper.

Captain Trips
16-06-2011, 07:59 PM

I was in East and had great view of that one, it was in all the way and then he appeared to claw it away, one of the best saves I have seen.

He was worth every penny of that £9m and more IMO

Shrekko
16-06-2011, 08:21 PM
A very good SPL keeper but a shot stopper more than anything. The fact he's not so great at commanding his area has been brutally exposed at times in the EPL.

I think media hype inflated he fee Sunderland paid.

H18sry
16-06-2011, 08:27 PM

He also got best save in the EPL last season http://soccer-portal.org/video/5047-craig-gordon-save-zat-knight.html despite being injured for most of it

Bad Habits
16-06-2011, 08:28 PM
does anyone know where I can find the video for the 2-2 save? or the match highlights?

Houchy
16-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Is there a Stat there for the most broken goalkeeper ever is. I'm sure he'll top the list on that one. I'd be over the moon, or to put it into yammish terms... "happy as Larry" if he signs for the yams as he'll be on £10k+ but will be lucky to play half the matches due to a broken finger, shoulder, toe nail, flask or something.:agree:

Dashing Bob S
16-06-2011, 08:31 PM
If you exclude heterosexual men and women, and homosexual men, as well as those with clear skin, he actually becomes the world's most expensive keeper.

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Neuer signing for Bayern last week makes him 4th now.

cam75
16-06-2011, 08:37 PM
The way he went down after DS ran into him was a shocker?

marinello59
16-06-2011, 08:50 PM
The way he went down after DS ran into him was a shocker

To say the least. Plooky cheat.

sleeping giant
16-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Excellent keeper.

ian cruise
16-06-2011, 09:00 PM

That still brings a tear to my eye. I was celebrating wildly till someone told me that Gordon had saved it. Fantastic header by Jones but the save was phenomenal. When fit a great keeper. I'd rather have him in the Scotland team that McGregor, as much as it pains me to say that.

sleeping giant
16-06-2011, 09:03 PM
That still brings a tear to my eye. I was celebrating wildly till someone told me that Gordon had saved it. Fantastic header by Jones but the save was phenomenal. When fit a great keeper. I'd rather have him in the Scotland team that McGregor, as much as it pains me to say that.

He is an excellent keeper too.

Scotland is in a lucky position.

How much do you reckon McGregor would go for ?

ian cruise
16-06-2011, 09:08 PM

I think McGregor is a good keeper but doesn't have the same concentration as Gordon so won't make save such aas the jones one but he is an excellent shot stopper when he pays attention.

how much would he go for? I current market maybe 5-6 million unless he was near the end of his contract. I agree the Scotland team are in a pretty good position with keepers. Alot of countries would love to be in our position

Sean1875
16-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Neuer signing for Bayern last week makes him 4th now.
And will be down to 5th after the De Gea transfer inevitably goes through. As mentioned before though that save at the end of the derby was un-real, absolutely speechless when I saw that! Just shows how much a top-class keeper really can make the difference and I dont see why £9 million is over-priced at all. That being said though hes still a spotty yam prick :aok:

greenlex
16-06-2011, 09:35 PM

depends on how many plooks he has.:agree:

HibeeSince85
16-06-2011, 09:44 PM

2 very very good keepers, us Scots always produce talent in that position, need to work on the other 10 a bit though:greengrin

Mikeystewart
16-06-2011, 10:32 PM
2 very very good keepers, us Scots always produce talent in that position, need to work on the other 10 a bit though:greengrin

its all the shots from opposition strikers giving them plenty of practise. A chicken and the eggs scenario, or maybe just a hot potato.

Haymaker
16-06-2011, 10:57 PM
When fit he is the best British keeper. Gordon is class despite being one of them.

Shrekko
16-06-2011, 11:22 PM
When fit he is the best British keeper. Gordon is class despite being one of them.

Better than Joe Hart?

Not for me!

Haymaker
16-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Better than Joe Hart?

Not for me!

Yes.

Sodje_18
16-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Better than Joe Hart?

Not for me!
I actually think he's over rated like all English players. Despite what happened in the world cup I still consider Green to be the best English keeper. If Craig Gordan was English he would be called the best keeper in the world by all those down south.

Shrekko
17-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Yes.

You ever get a minute- watch the highlights of when Sunderland played Stoke away last season. Great example of his failure to command his area throughout the game.

All about opinions of course but I think he's very over-rated.

Haymaker
17-06-2011, 12:09 AM
You ever get a minute- watch the highlights of when Sunderland played Stoke away last season. Great example of his failure to command his area throughout the game.

All about opinions of course but I think he's very over-rated.

So he poorly commanded his area in ONE game? When fit, Gordon is far better than any other english keeper. Hart is just the same as Kirkland, Foster and Carson before him, over rated far too young.

Shrekko
17-06-2011, 12:16 AM
So he poorly commanded his area in ONE game? When fit, Gordon is far better than any other english keeper. Hart is just the same as Kirkland, Foster and Carson before him, over rated far too young.

No, he has in a few games and that was a good example.

As I said it's just opinions and you yourself have just classed 3 keepers as over-rated! I doubt many seasoned neutral observers would say Sunderland have had good value for money tbh. Up here I think we've been blinded by some stunning saves and good performances for Scotland. Not saying he's not good, just not world class or even close.

Haymaker
17-06-2011, 12:22 AM
No, he has in a few games and that was a good example.

As I said it's just opinions and you yourself have just classed 3 keepers as over-rated! I doubt many seasoned neutral observers would say Sunderland have had good value for money tbh. Up here I think we've been blinded by some stunning saves and good performances for Scotland. Not saying he's not good, just not world class or even close.

You're right it is all about opinions, and I respect yours, and while I never said he was World Class (because he isnt) I would say he is the best British keeper, all three I named are classic examples of the English "next super star uber world mega player" yet none of them have gone on to prove this or claim the england number 1 spot. Joe Hart, in my opinion, will become another of those players.

Shrekko
17-06-2011, 12:30 AM
You're right it is all about opinions, and I respect yours, and while I never said he was World Class (because he isnt) I would say he is the best British keeper, all three I named are classic examples of the English "next super star uber world mega player" yet none of them have gone on to prove this or claim the england number 1 spot. Joe Hart, in my opinion, will become another of those players.

I agree with you re Carson and possibly Foster (Kirkland has been like Gordon, unlucky with injuries) but really think Hart is a bit special for such a young guy. The fact he was able to convince Mancini who does not answer to the English media that he was a better keeper than the excellent Shay Given has got to mean something.

To be honest though, the best goalies in the EPL in recent years have probably been some of the foreign veterans like Friedal, Van Der Saar, Cech, Schwarzer, Reina, Jaaskalainan and Howard!

matty_f
17-06-2011, 12:31 AM

Don't think Gordon is anywhere close to being the best British keeper. Even when fit he wasn't guaranteed his starting place at Sunderland, and if he's not even the best keeper at Sunderland, he's nowhere near the best British keeper.

Edit: Plus he's a big plooky cheating lesbian.:agree:

Haymaker
17-06-2011, 12:33 AM
I agree with you re Carson and possibly Foster (Kirkland has been like Gordon, unlucky with injuries) but really think Hart is a bit special for such a young guy. The fact he was able to convince Mancini who does not answer to the English media that he was a better keeper than the excellent Shay Given has got to mean something.

To be honest though, the best goalies in the EPL in recent years have probably been some of the foreign veterans like Friedal, Van Der Saar, Cech, Schwarzer, Reina, Jaaskalainan and Howard!

Friedal has got to be the most under rated keeper in the prem! Quality keeper along with the rest you mention.

Sodje_18
17-06-2011, 12:35 AM

What about Sorenson? Fair enough he's out of favour to Begovic right now but I think he's up there with they names, Given as well obviously :agree:

Haymaker
17-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Don't think Gordon is anywhere close to being the best British keeper. Even when fit he wasn't guaranteed his starting place at Sunderland, and if he's not even the best keeper at Sunderland, he's nowhere near the best British keeper.

Edit: Plus he's a big plooky cheating lesbian.:agree:

He has the starting spot and keeps getting injured. Now, you're a manager and you know you need consistency in the sticks, if your top keeper can play a few games then be out for months what do you do..? You gotta get someone in the sticks week in week out.

While he may well be a plooky lesbo maroon swine flu infested ****, he is an awesome keeper IF he is fit.

SmokieJoe
17-06-2011, 06:58 AM
It did seem way over the odds paying 9m for him, but i'd say it was a good bit of buisness by Sunderland, he is one of them, but miles better that Mcgregor for scotland.

Joe Hart best in Britan, Craig Gordon 2nd.