PDA

View Full Version : NHC Champions League back at Wembley

H18sry
16-06-2011, 03:54 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/928608/champions-league-back-at-wembley-in-2013?cc=5739 Is there no other options?

cleanyman
16-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Football is far too predictable these days.
Its the FA's 150th anniversary that year as well......England has world football by the balls.

iwasthere1972
16-06-2011, 04:10 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/928608/champions-league-back-at-wembley-in-2013?cc=5739 Is there no other options?

It's a strange one considering it's just been staged there. There are plenty of venues in Europe capable of holding the Champions League Cup Final and I hope that they will be asking questions in the same way as England were when the World Cup venue was announced.

UEFA must have been well aware that the English FA were to celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2013 and should have awarded the 2011 Champions League Final venue to another ground.

bob12345
16-06-2011, 04:57 PM
It's a strange one considering it's just been staged there. There are plenty of venues in Europe capable of holding the Champions League Cup Final and I hope that they will be asking questions in the same way as England were when the World Cup venue was announced.

UEFA must have been well aware that the English FA were to celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2013 and should have awarded the 2011 Champions League Final venue to another ground.

Bang on. Ruining a fantastic opportunity for a European City in the process.

hibee92
16-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Its the FA's 150th anniversary that year as well......England has world football by the balls.

I suppose that explains why they got the world cup? :confused:

marinello59
16-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Erm.......no they don't.

Mary Hinge
16-06-2011, 06:28 PM
It would be very interesting to know how many brown envelopes changed hands when this was agreed :shhhsh!:

Sas_The_Hibby
16-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Whilst it's UEFA, as opposed to FIFA, making the decision, it looks like an attempt at a bit of fence mending, on Platini's part, to me. I agree this should have been thought of before they gave it to Wembley in 2011, though.

col02
16-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Whilst it's UEFA, as opposed to FIFA, making the decision, it looks like an attempt at a bit of fence mending, on Platini's part, to me. I agree this should have been thought of before they gave it to Wembley in 2011, though.

My thoughts as well although I would think with the recent champions league final being such a success there might be some valid reasons for it being staged at Wembley so soon again.

HibeeMcGinn1
16-06-2011, 08:00 PM
:grr: Petrie. Sorting out this gorgeous new stand and can't even organise this.

Dashing Bob S
16-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Let's be fair, it was a magnificent arena for the great spectacle of Man U v Barca, it pretty much sealed the deal. What more appropriate than to have it regularly at the greatest stadium in the world, which is also the home of global game. It also boasts the best organisation, best fans, best coverage and, yes, the best people in the world. We should be delighted that they let the cameras in and we can see this great stadium from inside our homes. And that many of the visitors might even take a trip to Scotland, perhaps for a round of golf at St Andrews, where they can also where handsome Prince William first wooed the lovely Kate Middleton, while providing a shot in the arm to our distressed economy instead? And perhaps if we have a Europa Final between the likes of Legia Warsaw and Slovan Bratlislava one day, we might magnanimously dedicate that one to Hampden, as a sop?

dangermouse
17-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Hampden in 2023 then going by that logic.

easty
17-06-2011, 11:44 AM
It would be very interesting to know how many brown envelopes changed hands when this was agreed :shhhsh!:

Wouldn't you just love it if that was the case. The German/French/Spanish/etc. Panorama equivalents should be looking into it.

kennyh
17-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I am sure there are only a handful of grounds that now tick all the UEFA boxes especially regarding corporate facilities and capacity.

The revenue generated from the last final would have impressed UEFA and they will be keen for a repeat.

Part/Time Supporter
17-06-2011, 12:06 PM

£££

The "150th anniversary" thing is an excuse. They made a ****load of money from the game there this year and want to repeat that ASAP.

They can charge high prices in London and get away with it. £150+ for a CL final looks reasonable when even relatively rubbish football (ie West Ham, QPR) can set you back £50+. German fans wouldn't stand for it if those sort of prices were set there.

heretoday
17-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Hear hear! It's such an illogical choice that there must be some invisible hand at work.

ballengeich
17-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Where else has equal shopping opportunities for UEFA executives' wives?

hibbie02
17-06-2011, 09:47 PM
It's simple. UEFA were impressed at the way the FA were able to rip off so many people for so much money, and turn such a deaf ear to all complaints. If it works once, why not milk it again.