PDA

View Full Version : 1 year loan deal?

sambajustice
15-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Is that what we effectively have with O'Connor so that he can prove his fitness to Celtic??

Iain G
15-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Is that what we effectively have with O'Connor so that he can prove his fitness to Celtic??

:wtf:

bingo70
15-06-2011, 09:47 PM

:greengrin

What a negative negative twist to put on a bit good news, someone ***** on your cornflakes this morning?

What we should do is sign ***** players that'll never be good enough for bigger clubs :wink:

Sean1875
15-06-2011, 09:48 PM
so around 8 hours of positivity on .net and normal service has been resumed! :greengrin

BEEJ
15-06-2011, 09:48 PM
To be 'on loan' to us, he has to be under contract with another club first? :confused:

hibee bouncer
15-06-2011, 09:49 PM
If Garry signing on for a year gets us up the table, possibly Europe & a good cup run - I'd take it! Doubt however that it's got anything to do with Celtic!

Big Ed
15-06-2011, 09:50 PM

**** me - you are bitter.

sambajustice
15-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I know it probably comes across as negative! But it was looking he was going to sign for celtic. Basically what i'm saying is, are we just going to be used for him to prove himself to celtic?? A one year deal suggests that! 18 months might have been better! Happy he's signed tho! Just need a few more, 4 I would say!

steakbake
15-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Dont want to lay in too much to the OP but seriously, just see it in front of you. O'Connor for a year. If he does well for us, then that's all we should ask. Getting upset now about i) length of contract ii) where he might go afterwards is, it's fair to say, ludicrous. If he wants to prove himself on our team, that's great. Too many last year were not interested in proving themselves.

Iain G
15-06-2011, 09:53 PM

Is there an award for being most negative hibs.net contributer... :confused:

Gmack7
15-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Who excactly is he on loan from:rolleyes:

givescotlandfreedom
15-06-2011, 09:56 PM
I can actually see the OP's point but if it was a 1 year deal or nothing at all we were right to take that. I'm delighted in fact. Who knows there could be a future clause in his contract too.

sixtwo
15-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Yes.

***** signing. We can't win with this one. :rolleyes:

WTF do some people want?????? We have been crying out for a forward. Last week people were greetin cause we missed out on Tade!!!!

We have just signed Garry o'connor. A good hibby. A player who left us with bags of talent and went off and got experience in Europe and the EPL. A player who has had 2 moves for a cobined £4m. We have signed a superb striker. An unfit Go'C will score 15 goals next season a fit one might double it.

Just enjoy!

BEEJ
15-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I know it probably comes across as negative! But it was looking he was going to sign for celtic. Basically what i'm saying is, are we just going to be used for him to prove himself to celtic?? A one year deal suggests that! 18 months might have been better! Happy he's signed tho! Just need a few more, 4 I would say!
I've decided to expect that he may well be away again next summer.

The reality is that an on-form O'Connor is a player that Hibs can't typically afford and if he has a great season he could well be going back down to a Championship side for season 2012/13.

That would still be an arrangement that suits all parties.

hfc rd
15-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes.

***** signing. We can't win with this one. :rolleyes:

WTF do some people want?????? We have been crying out for a forward. Last week people were greetin cause we missed out on Tade!!!!

We have just signed Garry o'connor. A good hibby. A player who left us with bags of talent and went off and got experience in Europe and the EPL. A player who has had 2 moves for a cobined £4m. We have signed a superb striker. An unfit Go'C will score 15 goals next season a fit one might double it.

Just enjoy!

Totally agree.

CallumLaidlaw
15-06-2011, 09:59 PM
As much as I'm delighted that he's signed, Garry probably only deserves a 1yr contract. Any more than that may be seen as a gamble. And yes if he does well, he may move on, but he'll have had to score goals for that.

Bristolhibby
15-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I can actually see the OP's point but if it was a 1 year deal or nothing at all we were right to take that. I'm delighted in fact. Who knows there could be a future clause in his contract too.

Seriously, who is he on loan from?

I thought he had been released from birmingham/Barnsley.

J

southern hibby
15-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Hibs may have a clause that they can extend if they wish to.

Not sure in a year how I will feel but happy he has signed at present. Though I would add that Hibs may have felt it would be stupid to offer anything more with his antics of the field.

Lets just wait and see how it pans out before the doom and gloom.

GGTTH

hibee92
Who'd to say the 1-year part wasn't Hibs' choice?

Oops, forgot the golden rule. :troll:

MSK
Is there an award for being most negative hibs.net contributer... :confused:Samba wouldnt win it if there was....I can think of plenty others on here who would win it hands down though..

Manxhibs
15-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm just chuffed to bits he has signed, he should be in the prime of his career, so hopefully we will get the best of him, even it's only for a year

HibsMax
15-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Samba wouldnt win it if there was....I can think of plenty others on here who would win it hands down though..

Name names! :devil:

Actually, you don't need to. Conspicuous by absence. Did something similar not happen when we won all those games in January?

I don't want to needle anyone but I got crap shoved in my face so now it's time to eat crow!

MSK
15-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Name names! :devil:

Actually, you don't need to. Conspicuous by absence. Did something similar not happen when we won all those games in January?

I don't want to needle anyone but I got crap shoved in my face so now it's time to eat crow!:wink:

givescotlandfreedom
15-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Seriously, who is he on loan from?

I thought he had been released from birmingham/Barnsley.

J

He's not on loan I think the point being made is Garry will spend a year here and if he does well will leave at the end of the season to Celtc or whoever and have used us to get fit and back in the game at our expense. Unfortunately though that's life at the moment and we're not going to get good players to sign long deals as we are ultimately a stepping stone.

GreenPJ
15-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Garry isn't that type of guy who would do this to the club he loves. He isn't Stokes, who sticked the fingers right up us when smeltic came calling considering what we did for the guy who was forgotten. Yes Gazza will get offers from different clubs if he does the business for the Hibs but he won't leave straight away when the first offer comes. He will grateful to the club he supported since he was a boy and will make sure that when he does leave, it will be on the same good terms the last time he went.

The OP might have been uber negative but this is also ridiculous in the extreme. The year deal serves both parties well. Hibs are taking a bit of a gamble on someone who's career has been on the downward trend for 24 months but he has ability so its whether or not he can get fit and show that. Garry gets a year's salary in the hope that he can recapture form and then get a bigger buck for his bang. Lets not kid ourselves that he has returned "home" for good. We are both using this opportunity and next year will be a totally different proposition when it comes to GOC

ian cruise
15-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Is there an award for being most negative hibs.net contributer... :confused:

I can see where the OP is coming from with his point but I think it's a case of 2+2=5, O'Connor was training with Celtic, he has signed a short term deal so in 6 months time he is ok to look elsewhere however given the recent press and his injury history recently i think it's a deal that suits both parties, it'd be good if we did have a extension clause as part of the deal and he certainly sounds like he might want to stay longer than 12 months and be part of what Calderwood is building. I don't think the OP was trying to cause trouble. It might be the OP was wondering if anyone else had same worries as they did, possibly just bad timing to ask the question when everyone else is on a high

The_Horde
15-06-2011, 10:24 PM
:agree: Can't wait to see GOC and Stokes play up front together... :rolleyes:

MrRobot
15-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Maybe a one year deal for our sake so we aint tied to a player on big wages who might not be fit half the time or keep having trouble off the field.

One year deal suits all IMO, I would have liked a lnger deal but 1 year is sensible.

IWasThere2016
15-06-2011, 10:31 PM
As much as I'm delighted that he's signed, Garry probably only deserves a 1yr contract. Any more than that may be seen as a gamble. And yes if he does well, he may move on, but he'll have had to score goals for that.

Win:Win then!

hibs0666
15-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Awwwww diddums. :wink:

sambajustice
15-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I can see where the OP is coming from with his point but I think it's a case of 2+2=5, O'Connor was training with Celtic, he has signed a short term deal so in 6 months time he is ok to look elsewhere however given the recent press and his injury history recently i think it's a deal that suits both parties, it'd be good if we did have a extension clause as part of the deal and he certainly sounds like he might want to stay longer than 12 months and be part of what Calderwood is building. I don't think the OP was trying to cause trouble. It might be the OP was wondering if anyone else had same worries as they did, possibly just bad timing to ask the question when everyone else is on a high

LOL, yeah! Its a decent point, just maybe badly made!

If you look at the Stokes deal we we either going to get hunners of goals out of him for 2 seasons solid then he'd move on for nowt, or one season of goals and a wad of cash. He came to us to go back in the shop window.

This seems to be along the same lines, GOC probably wants to get back in the shop window but we've onl got him for season. It would be soul destroying to get him to full fitness, banging in goals then getting no return on it! It would be a bigger kick in the teeth if he pissed off to celtic too!

We'll what happens I suppose!

Franck Stanton
15-06-2011, 10:39 PM
He's not on loan I think the point being made is Garry will spend a year here and if he does well will leave at the end of the season to Celtc or whoever and have used us to get fit and back in the game at our expense. Unfortunately though that's life at the moment and we're not going to get good players to sign long deals as we are ultimately a stepping stone.

Exactly, Gary O is using the next 12 months with us to prove he is now free from injury, fit and good enough to hack it at a higher level. Just what is wromg with that? Could be good for the player and club - is that not what Stokes did ? Should we as a club have been narrow-minded and said no to him? Lets face it, right now in the state we are in can we be that choosy/childish when a player of his calibre becomes available, even if it is only for the one season ? Both the player and club realise what is going on and I for one am just happy we have a season to enjoy his talents, rejoice in his goals, because, make no mistake - he will score plenty, and at the end of the season, if he opts to leave, wish him well. We can only win in this situation/

jabis
15-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Samba wouldnt win it if there was....I can think of plenty others on here who would win it hands down though..

splendid post.

ian cruise
15-06-2011, 10:42 PM

If you look at the Stokes deal we we either going to get hunners of goals out of him for 2 seasons solid then he'd move on for nowt, or one season of goals and a wad of cash. He came to us to go back in the shop window.

This seems to be along the same lines, GOC probably wants to get back in the shop window but we've onl got him for season. It would be soul destroying to get him to full fitness, banging in goals then getting no return on it! It would be a bigger kick in the teeth if he pissed off to celtic too!

I'm just going to enjoy having GO'C back for as long as we have him. I was thrilled when we signed Stokes, we always knew he was going to Celtic probably, sooner rather than later too, so I was the same with that signing. Enjoyed it while it lasted safe in the knowledge that when he went if we can sign one player of his caliber then we can do the same again.

hopefully while he is here he can also be good influence on the younger players who look at him breaking into the first team and getting his big moves to better leagues, I know he's had bad press recently but I have no doubt that he will know in no uncertain terms that if he steps out of line he's gone. The board were apparently unhappy with Stiokes of park antics so you can bet they will no be willing to let themselves get caught out like that again.

The Harp
15-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Sambajustice - congratulations you've taken negativity to new levels. :rolleyes:
Can't you just let us enjoy the warm glow of the Club having made a quality signing? Looks like the Club just can't win with attitudes like yours.

Captain Trips
15-06-2011, 11:14 PM
The OP does have a point to an extent, if it was me and I had the chance of signing him for 1yr I would. Hibs are taking the risks Hibs should get the rewards if he does well so I hope there is an agreement in Hibs favour for an extension.

I want what is best for Hibs not GO, IMO I think this will work I think he will do a job, all the rest of our signings must be on longer deals, we have to build a settled team.

Brebners Bookie
15-06-2011, 11:42 PM

Hush

The Falcon
16-06-2011, 06:27 AM
I've decided to expect that he may well be away again next summer.

The reality is that an on-form O'Connor is a player that Hibs can't typically afford and if he has a great season he could well be going back down to a Championship side for season 2012/13.

That would still be an arrangement that suits all parties.

This is pretty much my take on this although I didnt for a second think we would/could sign him. A 1 year deal just means we wont get any money if he does well thats all. If we signed any of the many others mentioned and they did well they would be gone as well, thats the way it is.
And while I have my reservations I would say that if it was a choice between Rooney or GOC then it's no choice at all.

Looking forward to seing GOC back on the Holy Ground where he belongs.

cwilliamson85
16-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Negative much???

This is a win win situation for club, player and fans.

Club - They needed something to show off today at the press conference :wink:

Player - He gets to show everybody he is fit and if/when he starts banging in the goals he can leave next summer to the Championship with his head held high

Fans - We were crying out for a striker and we have got a club favourite back on the books.

Welcome back Garry O and hope you smash the goals in this season.:flag:

CallumLaidlaw
16-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Win:Win then!

Exactly :cgwa

H18sry
16-06-2011, 08:25 AM
What's to stop Garry proving his fitness before January then signing a 1 year extension to the deal and us selling him at the end of this season , with a pre arranged get out clause in the deal win win :wink:

hibs0666
16-06-2011, 08:27 AM

The return we would get is O'Connor banging in the goals surely? We're a fitba team after all. :confused:

HibeeMG
16-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Negative much???

This is a win win situation for club, player and fans.

Club - They needed something to show off today at the press conference :wink:

Player - He gets to show everybody he is fit and if/when he starts banging in the goals he can leave next summer to the Championship with his head held high

Fans - We were crying out for a striker and we have got a club favourite back on the books.

Welcome back Garry O and hope you smash the goals in this season.:flag:

Isn't that a win, win, win situation then?

Just sayin'..... :wink:

steviehfc
16-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Is that what we effectively have with O'Connor so that he can prove his fitness to Celtic??Oh, FFS. That has to be one of the most negative posts ever. :rolleyes:

SmokieJoe
16-06-2011, 09:00 AM

I believe that he has taken a drop in wages vs' his last employer, on a positive note, if him and us qualify for europe before his current deal runs out, this wouldincrease our budget for next season, and hopefully we could entice GOC for another season, maybe more. It is a sensible move for both at this stage, considering Gazs' history with injuries and many of the 'i'm not renewing mu ST' brigade....

ahibby
16-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I have mixed feelings. I am not sure how I feel about this. Garry's history as far as his habits are concerned are reputedly not great. I was concerned last year that we had signed good but difficult players, in Deeks, Miller and Stokes. I thought okay good players but what baggage do they bring. Same thing here. I thought we kinda went t**** up last season due to the fact that our top goal scorer knew he was moving on and didn't give a hoot about us. I have to be fair and say even if we brought someone with no bad press history for a longer contract there would be no guarantee that they would see it through in a manner we would hope for. Therefore having gone through my thought process in public, and thanks for being part of that, I conclude that it's as good a deal potentially as any would have been.

Cabbage East
16-06-2011, 11:24 AM
What a grim thread

Hibs Giant
16-06-2011, 12:07 PM
G'O has always been a Celtic fan. I think it's highly likely that if he does well, he will go to Celtic for plums at the end of the season.

I don't think that's negative. It's just realistic.

Part of me hopes he doesn't do too well. 20+ goals this season and he'll be away for sure, but 10-15 a season until he retires. That would be more like it.

HibeeMassive
16-06-2011, 12:13 PM
G'O has always been a Celtic fan.

Someone should tell GOC that then - in his interview with Hibs TV (it's on you tube) he mentions supporting Hibs as a boy :wink:

Hibs Giant
16-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Someone should tell GOC that then - in his interview with Hibs TV (it's on you tube) he mentions supporting Hibs as a boy :wink:

I knew someone who grew up with him in east lothian. Big Celtic fan apparently. Beleive he grew very fond of hibs during his time at the club though, so perhaps he now considers himself a hibs fan. Either way, it's great to see him back in a Hibs jersey.

HibeeMassive
16-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I knew someone who grew up with him in east lothian. Big Celtic fan apparently. Beleive he grew very fond of hibs during his time at the club though, so perhaps he now considers himself a hibs fan. Either way, it's great to see him back in a Hibs jersey.

No worries HG .. personally couldn't give a monkeys either way, as long he continues where he left off and is scoring freely against the manky mob then I'll be a happy laddie :aok:

HFC 0-7
16-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Think the OP is getting a hard time here to be honest, I am delighted to see him sign but cant imagine that if he is a success, which i think he will be, he will be off next season. This will leave us in the same position next year looking for another striker.

Remember Agathe? played very well for us on a short contract then went to Celtic.

Captain Trips
16-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Think the OP is getting a hard time here to be honest, I am delighted to see him sign but cant imagine that if he is a success, which i think he will be, he will be off next season. This will leave us in the same position next year looking for another striker.

Remember Agathe? played very well for us on a short contract then went to Celtic.

I agree.

First of all delighted we have him back but also concerned he does well and goes, We sold him at a key time in our season last time but we let him go, now 4 years on we have him back after a bad time, I would like to think there is an option for Hibs to get a chance to extend any deal. If he does well and just leaves IMO this is when players are becoming bigger than the club.

CC has now got to makes sure everyone else signed is in it for the long haul of a few seasons this is why we are so inconsistant. I got pissed with Hughes when at start of last season he signed 4 on short term deals which was adding to the load who only had 1yr left. If players do not want to commit or the manager doesnt feel he wants to offer longer contract then the whole deal needs looked at.

I will say because of the way things have went for Garry over last year Hibs are the ones taking the risks as CC might have had an eye on a player he felt might work over a longer period but felt Garry just had to be tried. I really hope and think Garry will do well but I also really hope he thinks about exactly what Hibs have done for him not once but twice now.

Kaiser1962
16-06-2011, 02:46 PM

To be fair I think he is the exception to the rule. Can you think of anybody else offhand? I can think of plenty that SHOULD have been on short term contracts but werent. It was McLeish who signed him on a short term deal as well and he is regarded as a decent manager by most so it just shows you.

Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on any longer and Bosman has changed football as we knew it forever. Lets enjoy the good players while they are here cos if they're that good they wont be here long. Player power entirely and nothing to do with lack of ambition by the manager or the board.

Phil MaGlass
16-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Dont see the problem masel likes,were obviously not paying 10k a week, but for 1 yr, we get the best out of him, he busts his ass and gets a bigger move, we all end up getting something out of it. Its what football is nowadays, Im pretty chuffed he has signed for us, to think, a week or so ago I was slating him.

EasterRoad4Ever
16-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Who'd to say the 1-year part wasn't Hibs' choice?

Oops, forgot the golden rule. :troll:

Bottom line is that O'Connor is too good to be at Hibs, but needs to prove his fitness/sharpness to bigger clubs. A 1 year is the best that Hibs could have hoped for, and could probably afford. Great to have him at ER.

HFC 0-7
17-06-2011, 07:50 AM
To be fair I think he is the exception to the rule. Can you think of anybody else offhand? I can think of plenty that SHOULD have been on short term contracts but werent. It was McLeish who signed him on a short term deal as well and he is regarded as a decent manager by most so it just shows you.

Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on any longer and Bosman has changed football as we knew it forever. Lets enjoy the good players while they are here cos if they're that good they wont be here long. Player power entirely and nothing to do with lack of ambition by the manager or the board.

I dont think he was the exception to the rule because we dont generally sign players on 1 year deals. If Stokes was signed on a one year deal he would have left after the first season for nothing. We lost stokes for about 1.2 million and people werent happy. We could lose a 20+ goal a season player for nothing next year to one of our rivals.

Still delighted he has signed but I think he will do very well for us and then move to Celtic leaving us on the hunt for another striker that will bag us that many goals. Wouldnt mind so much if he went down south again, but I will mind if he signs for celtic and scores against us, seems to happen a lot with ex hibees!