PDA

View Full Version : Will Riordan pen new deal now?

hibee1994
15-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Know it only came out like 20 mins ago but picking up on some comments in the GO'C thread, will Riordan see the arrival of GO'C as something he can't afford to miss out on and finally come back to sign a new deal with us or is it totally blown out the water.

Thoughts?

R'Albin
15-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Know it only came out like 20 mins ago but picking up on some comments in the GO'C thread, will Riordan see the arrival of GO'C as something he can't afford to miss out on and finally come back to sign a new deal with us or is it totally blown out the water.

Thoughts?

:pray:

Beefster
15-06-2011, 04:45 PM
If he wasn't happy with what Hibs could offer before, I'm not sure why O'Connor signing would make him happy with it now.

PeterboroHibee
15-06-2011, 04:48 PM
I thought he said he wanted a new challenge (or another way of saying more money)?

They couldnt agree on a deal so that should probably be it.

Don Giovanni
15-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I can't see Deek signing a contract at ER unless he has only unattractive offers from elsewhere (either in terms of money or location).

Deek may return to ER one day (for a final fling before retiring) but I'd be suprised if he was part of our squad going into next season.

500miles
15-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Hope not.

moredun
15-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Hope not.

So you would not like a choice of forward line of Deeks, Garry, Sodje and Ivan:rolleyes:

500miles
15-06-2011, 05:12 PM
So you would not like a choice of forward line of Deeks, Garry, Sodje and Ivan:rolleyes:

Would prefer someone else other than Riordan.

hibee1994
15-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Would prefer someone else other than Riordan.

Seems to me like people have just disregarded Riordan over a bad season but surely that would mean that the fans disregarded the whole team based on performances. Every player can have a bad season, it's not hard. If Blackburn want him then he must be doing something right.

lyonhibs
15-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Hope not.

:agree: :agree:

Riordan can away and shove it for me.

The Tubs
15-06-2011, 05:18 PM
I thought he said he wanted a new challenge (or another way of saying more money)?

They couldnt agree on a deal so that should probably be it.

Let's hope winning a trophy with Hibs might count as a new challenge.

Beefster
15-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Seems to me like people have just disregarded Riordan over a bad season but surely that would mean that the fans disregarded the whole team based on performances. Every player can have a bad season, it's not hard. If Blackburn want him then he must be doing something right.

Some folk are just moving on. He's gone.

EK_Hibs
15-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I fully expect Riordan to re-sign now...
Just a gut feeling I have.

Albion Hibs
15-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I dont see why O'Connor signing would make any differnce as to why we would want to keep a player so much.

Riordan has been a great player for hibs no doubt, but just because O'Connor is playing up front does not mean he would become 10 times the player he was last year.

hibbymark
15-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I dont think we could afford both. If deek had a offer I dont even think it would still be on the table. CC has had to make plans expecting Deek not to be here and GOCs signing confirms this imo.

AlbertK86
15-06-2011, 05:49 PM
I dont see why O'Connor signing would make any differnce as to why we would want to keep a player so much. <br />
<br />
Riordan has been a great player for hibs no doubt, but just because O'Connor is playing up front does not mean he would become 10 times the player he was last year.<br />
<br />

They played right thro the age groups together and complimented each other perfectly. Maybe Deek will fancy rekindling the old partnership

ivan03
15-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Hibs dont want him!

stoneyburn hibs
15-06-2011, 06:23 PM
canny see it, but it would be great if he stayed

hibee1994
15-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Hibs dont want him!

Calderwood was hopeful of retaining him so i wouldn't say they don't want to keep him.

CRAZYHIBBY
15-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Riordan has a family and they come first, if you can make double your salary elsewhere then you cant say no.......back to o'connor now:agree:

Niffy
15-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Dont think he deserves it , bad game or two yeah , but he couldn't care less all of last season.

225-EasterRd
15-06-2011, 07:05 PM
I am not a big Riordan fan but cant believe the negative vibe around Deek, He had one bad season last year in a bad HIBS team,
Q/ How many good seasons has he had for us? A/ far more than bad ones.
Q/How many great goals has he scored for us A/ loads, If he goes else where Good luck mate, If he stays i hope he proves the critics wrong.:agree::hibees

marinello59
15-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't think we will see Deeks playing for us again.
But if he did then I would expect him to be back at his best alongside Garry O. He seems to thrive when he has another decent striker to play along side and compete with in terms of goal tally. (We saw the best of him this time round when Stokes was here.) It's a pipe dream though, guess we have to move on.
Unless..............................:greengrin

Niffy
15-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Tch.... get Keith Wright in then...... at least he'll try...

Niffy
15-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Derek's NOT the messiah , he's a naughty boy !

(sorry , had to)

Springbank
15-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd put money on Deeks playing up front with Garry O by the time the Scottish Cup comes round.

Whether he stays or goes now to the Championship (which only suits big physical guys), either way he'll be back with us by January I reckon.

A few months elsewhere to realise the grass ain't greener, then a serious cup run to contemplate with the best strikeforce Edinburgh has seen since the FF.

We can't lose!

Spike Mandela
15-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Would love to see it. Clearly CC will have other strikers in mind but if Deeks changed his mind I'd rather sign him than Vaz Te.

silverhibee
15-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't think we will see Deeks playing for us again. But if he did then I would expect him to be back at his best alongside Garry O. He seems to thrive when he has another decent striker to play along side and compete with in terms of goal tally. (We saw the best of him this time round when Stokes was here.) It's a pipe dream though, guess we have to move on.
Unless..............................:greengrin

I think wee will see Deeks in a Hibs shirt at the end of the season. :wink: :greengrin

marinello59
15-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I think wee will see Deeks in a Hibs shirt at the end of the season. :wink: :greengrin

:greengrin

Badge
15-06-2011, 08:03 PM

Ian Murray's testimonial?:hmmm:

Westie1875
15-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Just what I was thinking :agree: pity it is unlikely to be before that.

3pm
15-06-2011, 08:20 PM
It's time for Derek to make some decent money - certainly more than we can afford.

I am sure he still gets on well with O'Connor but he's never going to sign based on Gaz coming back.

hfc rd
15-06-2011, 08:31 PM
I would love to see Deeks sign a new deal. We all remember what him, Gazza and Ivan used to do the opposition during the golden generation days, I would love that to once agin be repeated. However I think Deeks is looking for a new challenge elsewhere now and an increase in wages to help his family. Even though Gazza and Ivan are back now, I simply think Deeks will still be wanting to test himself elsewhere and good luck to him. He may not be the most hard working player but his goals make up for it.

"He's One Of Our Own"

silverhibee
15-06-2011, 09:31 PM

Thats the one. :thumbsup:

darwenhibby
15-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Thats the one. :thumbsup:

Don't know what you know Silver, but the rumour is beginning to gather down here that he is signing for Blackburn.

Is there any truth in it?

Phil MaGlass
16-06-2011, 02:03 PM
deeks did not have a bad season, he never tried,then blamed everyone else around him when things didnt go his way, the last thing a team needs when they are getting beat is a greting faced player bringing everyone else down, BUT on saying that if he could buck himself up and pull his weight and keep his greeting face shut then fine I would welcome him back.

SmokieJoe
17-06-2011, 07:09 AM
:agree: :agree:

Riordan can away and shove it for me.

:agree::agree:

Where was our gifted talisman when the chips were down?

What would be interesting to know is what is his stats for shots in open play, freekicks, on target/off target, he had to get his 11 goals.

any stato got the time?

offshorehibby
17-06-2011, 07:40 AM
What makes you think any deal would still be on the table. He's made his decision.

HFC 0-7
17-06-2011, 07:45 AM
If thats the reason he would come back then I wouldnt want him to be at Hibs. If you are willing to sign it should be because the club is appealing not because one person makes it appealing. We have had a problem with non triers recently, we need people that will play out their skin for the club, what if Garry gets injured, would he still have the same passion?

MontrealHibs
17-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Great if he does, but I don't think his view would be changed by the Garry O arrival. He sees pound signs elsewhere.

happiehibbie
17-06-2011, 08:00 AM
We seem to be happy to bring back all types off players GOC has a court case hanging over him I hope there are clauses in the contract to reflect this. we have brought back an older and no doubt slower Ivan. BUT dont offer our top goal ( third top in the SPL) scorer a new deal with a decent wage oh no.

I belive that Ivan and GOC have been bought by Pettrie to get the pressure off him now let me think has he done this before !!!!!!!!! EH yes three years ago when we got Derek back how nany shirts did 01 sell.

I think we need to put last season behind us we need a DR we need GOC the footballer we need the speed of an IVAN. I want to see hibs win at any cost I am sick of hearing about EM our fantastic stadia I want a football team please so that i can enjoy my Saturdays and not come out of ER in a bad mood lets face it we all do .

But please lets give credit to DR a Hibby at heart a terrific footballer great goal scorer but for me his fitness has dropped that is what needs to improve his fitness let us see him go past players like he did he is not 30 yet .

PHEW

Captain Trips
17-06-2011, 08:56 AM
What I find a little strange is that GOc had by far not only a worse last 12mths than Deeks but than even some of the dross that we let go, If GOc is seen as able to turn it around I do not see why DR couldnt. DR resigning would never have created the buzz on here that GOc has.

It is likely that DR isnt interested in staying and that is his choice but as I say find it strange that GOc is getting hyped up on memory and I am guilty of that but DR isnt.

Dinkydoo
17-06-2011, 10:00 AM
DR wasn't bothered the whole of last season.

It's best if he and Hibs move on.

Jim44
17-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm surprised it's taking so long for him to find another club. The longer he waits or clubs wait to make a last minute signing, the poorer the condition he will be in for the start of the new season. The guy should get himself organised and prepared for a new chsallenge as soon as possible.

silverhibee
17-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm surprised it's taking so long for him to find another club. The longer he waits or clubs wait to make a last minute signing, the poorer the condition he will be in for the start of the new season. The guy should get himself organised and prepared for a new chsallenge as soon as possible.

Is it okay for him to have a wee holiday with his family first, then when he comes back he will do these things. :aok:

hibs0666
17-06-2011, 04:28 PM
We seem to be happy to bring back all types off players GOC has a court case hanging over him

No he doesn't.

Hibs07p
18-06-2011, 05:49 AM
We seem to be happy to bring back all types off players GOC has a court case hanging over him ...
PHEW

What has he been charged with?

J-C
18-06-2011, 08:44 AM

What would be interesting to know is what is his stats for shots in open play, freekicks, on target/off target, he had to get his 11 goals.

any stato got the time?

Think I read in the EEN his stats are tops for nearly everything eccept fouls againnst, most shots on/off target, most crosses, most assists, most goals etc.

Judas Iscariot
18-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Think I read in the EEN his stats are tops for nearly everything eccept fouls againnst, most shots on/off target, most crosses, most assists, most goals etc.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good old Riordan bashing thread :rolleyes:

J-C
18-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Don't let facts get in the way of a good old Riordan bashing thread :rolleyes:

I aint bashed him, don't feel the need to, I think Riordan's biggest problem is that it wasn't hard to be top of the stats considering the standard of play this season, it was his general demeanor on the pitch that was the biggest let down for many supporters .

500miles
18-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Derek Riordan had, by a good margin, the most shots on/off target in the league. And a mediocre goal return. That's just not good enough for a player who is supposed to be a goalscorer.

--------
18-06-2011, 11:08 AM
The problem seemed to me to be that Derek was either unwilling or somehow unable to get close enough to Sodger to pick up the service the big guy could have provided. Derek always seemed to be too far away from his striking partner to make use of Sodger's lay-offs.

That, and his general air of not being engaged in the matches he played.

DR is a very good player when he's up for it. In the opposite mood he's as much use as a man short. We saw that last season - when he was bothered, he did well, but he wasn't bothered all that often (for whatever reason) from what I could see.

I don't know how Garry O'Connor will work out for us, but if he works hard and keeps himself in a position to feed of Sodger's knock-dons and lay-offs, both he and Sodger will benefit. He clearly needs to lose weight (don't we all? :rolleyes:) but if he gets match-fit and puts in a bit of application, I could see him being much more effective next season than DR was last.

Jones28
18-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't want him to even if it was offered, if he was to move on now I would still remember him for his first spell at Hibs rather than the moaning, sour-faced non- trier he was last season

moredun
18-06-2011, 11:33 AM

any stato got the time?

11 goals from a midfield that could not set-up a chance for a striker if they were the only team on the park.
Deeks scored from his own play, how many strikers do you think we could attract to ER who would come even remotely close to being able to score 11 goals for that Hibs team last season.
Sodje got 6 after we had drafted a few players in, sodje in the first 6 months of the season would have been useless to us

moredun
18-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Wouldn't want him to even if it was offered, if he was to move on now I would still remember him for his first spell at Hibs rather than the moaning, sour-faced non- trier he was last season

Absolute garbage

moredun
18-06-2011, 11:36 AM
What I find a little strange is that GOc had by far not only a worse last 12mths than Deeks but than even some of the dross that we let go, If GOc is seen as able to turn it around I do not see why DR couldnt. DR resigning would never have created the buzz on here that GOc has.

It is likely that DR isnt interested in staying and that is his choice but as I say find it strange that GOc is getting hyped up on memory and I am guilty of that but DR isnt.

Exactly, some strange thoughts on this board, most of it very hypocritical.

How many would Garry have scored last season?
Doubt very much he would have got more than Deeks in the whole season

--------
18-06-2011, 11:39 AM
11 goals from a midfield that could not set-up a chance for a striker if they were the only team on the park.
Deeks scored from his own play, how many strikers do you think we could attract to ER who would come even remotely close to being able to score 11 goals for that Hibs team last season.
Sodje got 6 after we had drafted a few players in, sodje in the first 6 months of the season would have been useless to us

It's not just about goals - it's about his demeanour on the field and his contribution to the general team effort.

I reckon CC's looking for players who'll put in the effort. Frequently Derek gave the impression that he wasn't prepared to do that last season.

As I suggested already, how much more effective might he have been if he had just got closer to Sodje and fed off Sodje's service? But he didn't do that.

moredun
18-06-2011, 11:42 AM
It's not just about goals - it's about his demeanour on the field and his contribution to the general team effort.

I reckon CC's looking for players who'll put in the effort. Frequently Derek gave the impression that he wasn't prepared to do that last season.

As I suggested already, how much more effective might he have been if he had just got closer to Sodje and fed off Sodje's service? But he didn't do that.

How do you know what role he was told to play?
It's hard to read a player who has just arrived and you have not had someone to "play-off" in the last few years.
This Deeks is lazy kak is just that, moaning faced ****, but lazy, no

bingo70
18-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Totally agree Doddie.

Deek is obviously a terrific goalscorer but i've had enough with players going through the motions on the park and i imagine CC is the same.

For someone who grew up a hibs supporter i always got the impression deeks just couldn't be arsed being there, maybe he was demoralised by the poor quality of the rest of the team, i don't know, but i said last season i would be quite happy if everyone of them left and nothings changed, if he really wanted to stay he would have burst a gut trying to prove his worth last season but IMO that just never happened so good luck to him where ever he ends up but i'd prefer it if it was away from hibs.

bingo70
18-06-2011, 11:47 AM
How do you know what role he was told to play?
It's hard to read a player who has just arrived and you have not had someone to "play-off" in the last few years.
This Deeks is lazy kak is just that, moaning faced ****, but lazy, no

There was an interview with someone recently, think it was pallson but i'm not sure, who said something along the lines of deeks a great goal scorer but he doesn't work as hard as he should on the pitch.

Alfred E Newman
18-06-2011, 11:48 AM
The problem seemed to me to be that Derek was either unwilling or somehow unable to get close enough to Sodger to pick up the service the big guy could have provided. Derek always seemed to be too far away from his striking partner to make use of Sodger's lay-offs.

That, and his general air of not being engaged in the matches he played.

DR is a very good player when he's up for it. In the opposite mood he's as much use as a man short. We saw that last season - when he was bothered, he did well, but he wasn't bothered all that often (for whatever reason) from what I could see

I don't know how Garry O'Connor will work out for us, but if he works hard and keeps himself in a position to feed of Sodger's knock-dons and lay-offs, both he and Sodger will benefit. He clearly needs to lose weight (don't we all? :rolleyes:) but if he gets match-fit and puts in a bit of application, I could see him being much more effective next season than DR was last.

So Sodger is now the key man? Amazing. No doubt Calderwoods long ball game will suit O`Connor more than it suited Riordan but your post is unbelievable guff.
I think you could be losing it Doddie.:greengrin

bingo70
18-06-2011, 11:50 AM
So Sodger is now the key man? Amazing. No doubt Calderwoods long ball game will suit O`Connor more than it suited Riordan but your post is unbelievable guff.

I thought we played a lot of good football last season under CC and it's a bit of a myth that we played long ball hoofball

moredun
18-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Derek Riordan had, by a good margin, the most shots on/off target in the league. And a mediocre goal return. That's just not good enough for a player who is supposed to be a goalscorer.
:faf::faf::faf:

All from the least amount of chances created for a striker in the league, whatever shots etc he had, he created for himself.
Name another striker who has created so many chances for himself then?
Albeit a lot never came of for him, but your point about most shots on target back me up, only this season a lot didn't fall for him.

Can anyone who slates deek name another striker who would have created and scored more in that team last season, esp pre January?, That would also fit in to our wage structure, don't say Rooney, take his pens away and he was no better than Deeks, but would he create his own chances, no way, he needs fed, no-one was feeding Deeks.
You get what you wish for and i bet that it will not be long before we are saying we could do with someone like Deeks in the team, ort Deeks would have scored that.
We simply cannot afford to buy anyone with anywhere near the talent of Deeks, a sad club when we resort to slating our best goalscorer in my time going to ER.
All because he had one indifferent season?
Well if that is the case why is everybody having orgasmic posts over a guy who has scored 20 goals in 5 years and is injury prone and slightly suspect on the nights out?
None of it adds up to me.
Deeks will/would score more goals than O'Connor whatever league he was in imo

moredun
18-06-2011, 11:56 AM
There was an interview with someone recently, think it was pallson but i'm not sure, who said something along the lines of deeks a great goal scorer but he doesn't work as hard as he should on the pitch.

Says Palsson who went missing for every game after his first start, and has the experience of an erm........ a 19 year old:rolleyes:

bingo70
18-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Says Palsson who went missing for every game after his first start, and has the experience of an erm........ a 19 year old:rolleyes:

whether he's 19 or 49 he's gonnae know more than you about how hard one of his team mate works.

--------
18-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Possibly - I'm getting old and there ain't as many marbles in the old brain-box as there used to be.

However, when we had DR and Stokes up front, they played off one another and consequently scored goals. Goals that camouflaged the serious shortcomings in midfield and defence - and the immense lack of tactical awareness and general common-sense residing between our then manager's ears, IMO.

We lost Stokes, and DR isn't the sort of striker you can ask to play up front on his own.

But he can and did prosper mightily when he was playing closely with Garry O'Connor up front. As he did with Stokes.

All I'm saying is that Sodger is a much underestimated player IMO. He's good in the air, strong in a challenge, and can win and hold the ball well. He's not THE key player by any means, but he can play an important role in holding the ball up for the midfielders to arrive, and roughing up the other lot's central defenders to the benefit of those midfielders, and to the benefit of his striking partner.

The thing is, his partner's got to be close enough to him to reap the benefit. DR rarely seemed to be there last season. From which (IMO) the whole team suffered - unnecessarily.

BTW - Marlon Harewood's been mentioned as a target here and on the Bounce. If you think Sodger's a solid citizen, wait till you see MH if he comes.

Any CH playing against us then will require dark brown shorts and a nappy. :devil:

moredun
18-06-2011, 12:05 PM
whether he's 19 or 49 he's gonnae know more than you about how hard one of his team mate works.

Christ he turned up for 1 game last season and now he is an expert on other players.

If he had tried a leg after his first start i might give him more scope, but he was the invisible man for us.

So what i see with my own eyes is not worthy of a what football player sees then?

You will need to explain that one mate, because i have eyes as well as Palsson

bingo70
18-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Christ he turned up for 1 game last season and now he is an expert on other players.

If he had tried a leg after his first start i might give him more scope, but he was the invisible man for us.

So what i see with my own eyes is not worthy of a what football player sees then?

You will need to explain that one mate, because i have eyes as well as Palsson

ok, if pallson has the ball and wants to pass it to deeks but deeks isn't moving so has to pass it somewhere else he'd notice that more than you, if pallsonn is having to do extra work because deeks isn't tracking back he'd notice it more than you.

So is Pallson next seasons scapegoat in the making? FWIW i thought the hype after his first couple of appearances was over the top but so is his criticism, he's only 19 years old, he showed he's got ability but it's to be expected he'd be inconsistant, especially when he was carrying an injury towards the end of the season.

BTW, deeks is leaving regardless if O'connor signed for us or not, you're going to need to get over it, slating the players we've currently got isn't going to make him come back.

moredun
18-06-2011, 12:23 PM
ok, if pallson has the ball and wants to pass it to deeks but deeks isn't moving so has to pass it somewhere else he'd notice that more than you, if pallsonn is having to do extra work because deeks isn't tracking back he'd notice it more than you.

So is Pallson next seasons scapegoat in the making? FWIW i thought the hype after his first couple of appearances was over the top but so is his criticism, he's only 19 years old, he showed he's got ability but it's to be expected he'd be inconsistant, especially when he was carrying an injury towards the end of the season.

BTW, deeks is leaving regardless if O'connor signed for us or not, you're going to need to get over it, slating the players we've currently got isn't going to make him come back.

Inconsistent, now there is a laugh, i good game then garbage for 5 months:faf:
I wouldn't call that a bit inconsistent
I don't do scapegoats mate, it's my opinion, that not allowed?
I don't rate Palsson, but will always support him in a Hibs top!!!!

Considering i watch the game, how do you come to the conclusion that i would not see the things in bold???

bingo70
18-06-2011, 12:28 PM

Considering i watch the game, how do you come to the conclusion that i would not see the things in bold???

I think the players would notice it more than you, thats my opinion is that not allowed?

I think he had more than one good game and your exaggerating how bad he was, again, just my opinion, hopefully thats allowed without being too funny.

Anyway, this threads not about pallsson, it's about our ex player Riordan who has moved on to pastures new, you need to take down the posters and replace the riordan bed sheets and get over it i'm afraid.

silverhibee
18-06-2011, 12:29 PM

Was that the interview where Pallson was comparing Deek with Torres.

I wouldn't know how to get a link for it though.

bingo70
18-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Was that the interview where Pallson was comparing Deek with Torres.

I wouldn't know how to get a link for it though.

Think it might have been :agree:

As i said a great goalscorer, maybe no quite as good as torres right enough so VP might talk some pish, but IMO not a great team player and now he's gone hopefully we can replace his goals, more than likely they'll be spread more evenly throughout the team now but i don't think as a club we'll score less goals now deeks has left

moredun
18-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I think the players would notice it more than you, thats my opinion is that not allowed?

I think he had more than one good game and your exaggerating how bad he was, again, just my opinion, hopefully thats allowed without being too funny.

Anyway, this threads not about pallsson, it's about our ex player Riordan who has moved on to pastures new, you need to take down the posters and replace the riordan bed sheets and get over it i'm afraid.

It was you who brought Palsson into it.

Of course your opinion is valid, have i said otherwise.

You say your opinion then come out REMOVED BY ADMIN

Oh and where have i said i want Deeks IN the team next year, i happen to think he is better away from us.
With fans like us sometimes i wonder why any player bothers

bingo70
18-06-2011, 12:37 PM

You say your opinion then come out with this REMOVED BY ADMIN

:hilarious class.

I never said your opinion was invalid but you still felt the need to ask me if it was ok for you to voice it so i thought i'd do the same.

I brought Pallson into the debate because he was one of Deeks team mates who thought he should improve his work rate so i think that was a valid point to bring up, there was no need or point to you slating one of our current players to stick up for an ex player.

bingo70
18-06-2011, 12:38 PM

You say your opinion then come out with this

Oh and where have i said i want Deeks IN the team next year, i happen to think he is better away from us.
With fans like us sometimes i wonder why any player bothers

For the money and it's a better job than most

moredun
18-06-2011, 12:43 PM
:hilarious class.

I never said your opinion was invalid but you still felt the need to ask me if it was ok for you to voice it so i thought i'd do the same.

I brought Pallson into the debate because he was one of Deeks team mates who thought he should improve his work rate so i think that was a valid point to bring up, there was no need or point to you slating one of our current players to stick up for an ex player.

My god you are one eh, you say your opinion on things but i am not supposed to???
Ok, so will i run things by you from now on then?
No need? i would say there is a need to say as i like no? Is that not what this forum is about?
or should posts only agree with you:idiot:

bingo70
18-06-2011, 12:48 PM
My god you are one eh, you say your opinion on things but i am not supposed to???
Ok, so will i run things by you from now on then?
No need? i would say there is a need to say as i like no? Is that not what this forum is about?
or should posts only agree with you:idiot:

You seem to be thinking because i disagree with you i don't want you to voice your opinion, no idea where you got that from?

In case you were being serious please feel free to respond giving your opinion, only if you agree with me though :greengrin

moredun
18-06-2011, 01:00 PM
You seem to be thinking because i disagree with you i don't want you to voice your opinion, no idea where you got that from?

In case you were being serious please feel free to respond giving your opinion, only if you agree with me though :greengrin

:na na:
:aok:
Ok mate you have left me no argument now!!!!:greengrin

But seriously it's cool, a difference of opinion, and ,maybe a misunderstanding, but thats fine, we both want the same and lets hope this season is better and we could be debating the fact who is our best player instead of arguing who is crap etc.

:cgwa

silverhibee
18-06-2011, 01:19 PM

Doddie, there is no getting away from it, Dereks form from January to the end of the season was poor, i think he had 9 or 10 goals round about December time, then it went down hill from there, something went wrong with him, but dont forget the other 10 players who were just as bad last season, it wasn't just Derek that was poor, the whole team/squad/manager had there faults last season, it was a bad season for HFC, the team were poor, the fans getting on players backs before they have even started the game was a poor show as well, hopefully next season wee as supporters need to get behind the team and manager and give them our support, if a player makes a mistake, thats it just a mistake, if wee start abusing players like wee did last season, wee will end up having another poor season, support them through thick and thin i say.
The bit in bold, Derek still ended up being top goalscorer and top assists as well, he even finished the season against the Dons looking like the old Deek.
At no time last season did i hear from CC that there was a problem with Dereks fitness, or from Yogi either or even Mixu while he was at Hibs, now big Gaz had his contract terminated by his last club for what ever reason, his manager before that kept letting everyone know that Garry needed to work harder on his fitness, or prove it, he is a bit injury prone and has not played much football in the last three seasons, and to top it off his behaviour over the last month has been a little worrying, Derek probaly contributed more to Hibs last season than Garry has in his last three seasons to his clubs, i am delighted that Hibs have got Garry, but he has to keep fit and get the head down and screw the nut off the park and do the buisness for Hibs and himself, this is last chance saloon for the big guy, i hope he realises this., just a wee bit mythed that folk are writing Derek off for having a poor half season, but yet thinking that Gaz will just turn up and start banging in goals, something he hasn't done for a while, as you say he could start of with losing a bit weight, that XXL top looked a bit tight on him. :greengrin

silverhibee
18-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I thought we played a lot of good football last season under CC and it's a bit of a myth that we played long ball hoofball

If that was good football then i worry for next season. :greengrin

Hamish
18-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Garry's agent knows this is the last big chance he will get. Whether the penny has dropped with Garry, we will have to wait and see.

Whether Mackay will follow up his alleged interest in Derek now that he is at Cardiff is another ponder as well

truehibernian
18-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Doddie, there is no getting away from it, Dereks form from January to the end of the season was poor, i think he had 9 or 10 goals round about December time, then it went down hill from there, something went wrong with him, but dont forget the other 10 players who were just as bad last season, it wasn't just Derek that was poor, the whole team/squad/manager had there faults last season, it was a bad season for HFC, the team were poor, the fans getting on players backs before they have even started the game was a poor show as well, hopefully next season wee as supporters need to get behind the team and manager and give them our support, if a player makes a mistake, thats it just a mistake, if wee start abusing players like wee did last season, wee will end up having another poor season, support them through thick and thin i say.
The bit in bold, Derek still ended up being top goalscorer and top assists as well, he even finished the season against the Dons looking like the old Deek.
At no time last season did i hear from CC that there was a problem with Dereks fitness, or from Yogi either or even Mixu while he was at Hibs, now big Gaz had his contract terminated by his last club for what ever reason, his manager before that kept letting everyone know that Garry needed to work harder on his fitness, or prove it, he is a bit injury prone and has not played much football in the last three seasons, and to top it off his behaviour over the last month has been a little worrying, Derek probaly contributed more to Hibs last season than Garry has in his last three seasons to his clubs, i am delighted that Hibs have got Garry, but he has to keep fit and get the head down and screw the nut off the park and do the buisness for Hibs and himself, this is last chance saloon for the big guy, i hope he realises this., just a wee bit mythed that folk are writing Derek off for having a poor half season, but yet thinking that Gaz will just turn up and start banging in goals, something he hasn't done for a while, as you say he could start of with losing a bit weight, that XXL top looked a bit tight on him. :greengrin

I see what you are saying SH, however there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Derek lost both his instictive first touch and has lost at least a couple of yards pace. He was never lightning quick, but it was his touch and vision that got him beyond the full back or central defender. Last season, for me, he was showing up his weaknesses without realising he was doing it......by that I mean picking up the ball, and rather than take his man on, constantly cut inside, meaning opposition players had time to get back and also time to close him down.

For me though (and not just Derek I admit), his on field attitude was terrible. Too many times spent with his arms in the air and not enough head down and back into it.

I wish him all the very best, he is a natural talent......but he needs a fresh challenge in new surroundings.

Beefster
18-06-2011, 04:56 PM

It was Ian Murray.

All from the least amount of chances created for a striker in the league, whatever shots etc he had, he created for himself.
Albeit a lot never came of for him, but your point about most shots on target back me up, only this season a lot didn't fall for him.

Can anyone who slates deek name another striker who would have created and scored more in that team last season, esp pre January?, That would also fit in to our wage structure, don't say Rooney, take his pens away and he was no better than Deeks, but would he create his own chances, no way, he needs fed, no-one was feeding Deeks.
You get what you wish for and i bet that it will not be long before we are saying we could do with someone like Deeks in the team, ort Deeks would have scored that.
We simply cannot afford to buy anyone with anywhere near the talent of Deeks, a sad club when we resort to slating our best goalscorer in my time going to ER.
Well if that is the case why is everybody having orgasmic posts over a guy who has scored 20 goals in 5 years and is injury prone and slightly suspect on the nights out?

Where did you get this beauty? How did Riordan get the ball? A throw-in to himself or did he take a corner before popping up in the box to get on the end of it?

marinello59
18-06-2011, 05:05 PM
It was Ian Murray.

Where did you get this beauty? How did Riordan get the ball? A throw-in to himself or did he take a corner before popping up in the box to get on the end of it?

Casper played it through to him. .:agree:

moredun
18-06-2011, 05:12 PM
It was Ian Murray.

Your hilarious:rolleyes:

I'm meaning they were not put on a plate for him.
Strikers can create their own chances, can Deeks not score a goal out of nothing?
I think we would all agree that he certainly can, albeit last season was not his best.

If Deeks shoots from far out, like he does and like he has scored so many crackers from, he gets the ball as a simple pass, moves inside and scores a screamer, are you telling me that he never created that himself, or was the simple pass the quality that was needed for the goal

Is that someone creating a chance for him?

Tricla
18-06-2011, 05:17 PM

Totally agree. Deeks had one bad 3/4 season and people give him dogs.

This is a Hibs legend FFS.

moredun
18-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Well it seems a bad spell and your status isn't worth anything with a few on here.
It's just strange how excited everyone is getting about a player who has been through a far worse spell in all ways than Deeks has, and for a lot longer, but hey he is the messiah and deeks get tae, it just puzzles me, but hey ho each to their own and all that
Oh and by the way i am delighted O'Connor is back as well and i have faith in CC, people on here are very quick to slate every player we have, i guarantee, if GO'C has a dubious start, the very people lauding him now will be on here slating him

Beefster
18-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Well it seems a bad spell and your status isn't worth anything with a few on here.
It's just strange how excited everyone is getting about a player who has been through a far worse spell in all ways than Deeks has, and for a lot longer, but hey he is the messiah and deeks get tae, it just puzzles me, but hey ho each to their own and all that
Oh and by the way i am delighted O'Connor is back as well and i have faith in CC, people on here are very quick to slate every player we have, i guarantee, if GO'C has a dubious start, the very people lauding him now will be on here slating him

Perhaps some folk have been slating him but it is possible to acknowledge his huge contribution to Hibs in the last 10 years whilst thinking that he is a player who does not justify a budget-busting contract from Hibs now.

I love Sauzee but I wouldn't want him playing in defence next season.

marinello59
18-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Perhaps some folk have been slating him but it is possible to acknowledge his huge contribution to Hibs in the last 10 years whilst thinking that he is a player who does not justify a budget-busting contract from Hibs now.

A fair assessment.

crash
18-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Yet, you welcome the signing of O'Connor with open arms.:confused:

marinello59
18-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Is O'Connor on a budget busting contract then?

moredun
18-06-2011, 06:25 PM

I do agree with that, i think he should go, best for both now, i would love to see him back at ER next season, but do realise that change is needed for him, he would just get dogs if he didn't start the season well, imo he could still be a great player, but let's move on.

stokesmessiah
18-06-2011, 06:31 PM
The handbags between moredun & Bingo70 on this thread is really cute !!! :greengrin

Cheered up a dreary wet afternoon !!

Hibernia Na Eir
18-06-2011, 10:25 PM

Thoughts?

i think it will be done in pencil not pen

frazeHFC
18-06-2011, 10:45 PM
"non-trier" regarding Deeks.

I think Riordan's work rate was better last season than it ever has been. In his first spell he always had a good midfield behind him and his pace was better but he never tracked back. What i am saying is that he may not be as good, but he certainly gave it his all, including tracking back a fair bit.

CallumLaidlaw
18-06-2011, 11:37 PM

5 months? Nice spin. He signed at the end of January, and we played 2 games in the month of April, then the season ended mid may
He also had more than one game. I thought, like a lot of players from the end of jan, that he played well until the split then, rightly or wrongly, went on his holidays.

Beefster
19-06-2011, 06:29 AM

Yup. Why wouldn't I? Or are you saying that if I don't think that Riordan is worth a new contract then no-one is?

moredun
19-06-2011, 09:54 AM
5 months? Nice spin. He signed at the end of January, and we played 2 games in the month of April, then the season ended mid may
He also had more than one game. I thought, like a lot of players from the end of jan, that he played well until the split then, rightly or wrongly, went on his holidays.

TBH he had a decent first game then imo went missing for the rest, he could maybe be a decent player, he looks like he could, he has the aggression, but for me he is like LM, goes missing far too easy, i wonder why he never made into the Iceland U21's for the championships then?

moredun
19-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Yup. Why wouldn't I? Or are you saying that if I don't think that Riordan is worth a new contract then no-one is?

I think it is the point that one is getting slated for having a bad second half of the season and the other who we have just signed has had a bad 3 years with all sorts of problems, some self inflicted, is getting made out to be the messiah.
I can see where the poster is coming from, even so i am glad we signed O'Connor, if only we had decent fans. then i would love Deeks to play beside him next season, god forbid GOC has a bad start, then the knives will be in him in a shot.
It's the way of the Hibs "fans" even regardless of age and experience sad to say.

Big Frank
19-06-2011, 10:13 AM
No forward at the club can match DR for talent and goal scoring ability. With a better team, positive team behind him he will score again. He should be starting to peak.

Hope he stays at Hibernian.

moredun
19-06-2011, 10:27 AM
No forward at the club can match DR for talent and goal scoring ability. With a better team, positive team behind him he will score again. He should be starting to peak.

Just a pity most think he is "past it"
At the grand old age of 28, imo the complete lack of service to him was a big problem.
He scored most goals by engineering them himself.
Christ when i said that yesterday, i even got the "what, did he take the throw in and get on the end of it, or was it the corner":confused:
Some people are not happy unless they are giving someone abuse on the park or here, whichever suits them.
A garbage team all round and it appears Deeks gets a lot of the blame, he has turned form a fantastic talent to being garbage in a couple of months, you couldn't make it up:rolleyes:

Andy74
19-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Could he turn it around though? Hughes was sacked for a few months of poor performance. Players should surely be judged the same way?

Andy74
19-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Other than O'connor? And Sodje at his current rate? Other than that not many.

Saorsa
19-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I thought we played a lot of good football last season under CC and it's a bit of a myth that we played long ball hoofballMust have been watching something different from me, I thought it was ****in' dire an I certaily hope it's not indicative of how we're going tae be playing next season or I'll end up poking my eyes out.

Iain G
19-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Just a pity most think he is "past it"
At the grand old age of 28, imo the complete lack of service to him was a big problem.
He scored most goals by engineering them himself.
Christ when i said that yesterday, i even got the "what, did he take the throw in and get on the end of it, or was it the corner":confused:
Some people are not happy unless they are giving someone abuse on the park or here, whichever suits them.
A garbage team all round and it appears Deeks gets a lot of the blame, he has turned form a fantastic talent to being garbage in a couple of months, you couldn't make it up:rolleyes:

The lack of teams showing an interest in him would suggest we aren't the only ones to wonder if he has lost it a bit.

essexhibee
19-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Riordan will head south no chance he would rejoin. Its a strange one for me, as it stands I dont seem bothered he has left but when he officially joins another club i think a little bit of me will feel gutted.

hibs1989
19-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Riordan will not be staying. FACT
Him and Garry O are no longer on talking terms.
On another note Paul Dalglish (remember him in a hibs shirt) runs Houston Dynamo youth academy and due to link ups through my company I work for and their academy I regularly speak to him. He advised houston invited him out last week for all expenses paid trip to take in a match and Riordan refused citing "not in his best interests"

Beefster
19-06-2011, 12:01 PM
I think it is the point that one is getting slated for having a bad second half of the season and the other who we have just signed has had a bad 3 years with all sorts of problems, some self inflicted, is getting made out to be the messiah.
I can see where the poster is coming from, even so i am glad we signed O'Connor, if only we had decent fans. then i would love Deeks to play beside him next season, god forbid GOC has a bad start, then the knives will be in him in a shot.
It's the way of the Hibs "fans" even regardless of age and experience sad to say.

We do have good fans. Seeing as they are all human beings though, all of them are different, despite your attempt to stereotype us all, so you get all sorts.

I am getting a bit fed up of it being the fans' / the other players' / Hughes' / Calderwood's / Board's / Strachan's / Mowbray's / Potter's fault when Riordan has been poor or not playing at any point over the last 6 years though.

Some folk didn't want Riordan's contract renewed on a higher wage because of his performances (i.e. they don't think one decent season in three was good enough for the wage he commands). Plain and simple. No agendas, no 'knives' out etc etc etc.

moredun
19-06-2011, 12:44 PM
We do have good fans. Seeing as they are all human beings though, all of them are different, despite your attempt to stereotype us all, so you get all sorts.

I am getting a bit fed up of it being the fans' / the other players' / Hughes' / Calderwood's / Board's / Strachan's / Mowbray's / Potter's fault when Riordan has been poor or not playing at any point over the last 6 years though.

Some folk didn't want Riordan's contract renewed on a higher wage because of his performances (i.e. they don't think one decent season in three was good enough for the wage he commands). Plain and simple. No agendas, no 'knives' out etc etc etc.

We do have good fans, i agree it was wrong to stereotype as you say.
I haven't a clue what his "demands" were so cannot comment on anything about contract situations, not sure anyone on hear can either.
Not heard in a while but last i heard he didn't even get offered a contract, so demands couldn't even come into it.
I think a lot of managers struggle to suss out where to play him imo, but obviously he would be in any of my teams, yeah he had a poor second half to the season, but he seems to be THE problem in many peoples eyes, completely ignoring the fact he got very very poor service for just about the entire season.
I am Happy to go along with whatever CC does, i think he could do well for us, he obviously has ideas of where he wants to take us, and Deeks is not in his plans, i'm easy about that, another couple of signings like he has done just now and it maybe become clear why he didn't want a talent like Deeks

silverhibee
19-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Is O'Connor on a budget busting contract then?

Who is at Hibs.

HibsMax
19-06-2011, 02:24 PM
I think people are excited about GO arriving, and DR leaving, because people respond well to change. Not all change is a good thing but sometimes a change is just what is needed.

I don't know so this is a genuine question - did Deek ever state publicly that he wanted to stay at Hibs, wanted to try and fight to turn things around? I know it's usually rhetoric but Garry made those sorts of comments when he signed. Maybe Deek could turn things around with different players around him but if he doesn't even try to sound interested, why stick with him?

I think the fact that nobody else appears to be in for him shows that other clubs might feel the same way. But then again, what do we know? Perhaps there have been offers extended to Deek that we don't know about?

Maybe there's something else going on that we don't know about?

--------
19-06-2011, 02:39 PM

I appreciate all this, SH. I would be more than happy if Derek re-signed for us.

I have no explanation for DR's poor form over the last three-four months of last season. To suggest one would be pure speculation, speculation which would soon become HARD FACT in the minds of some other posters, and then quoted over and over until nobody could possibly believe anything other.

I agree with you 100% about O'Connor. I agree with you even more emphatically (if that's possible) about the support. This has been a Hibs tendency as long as I've been around - we always seem to have 1 or 2 players who simply can't do anything right in the eyes of certain fans.

IMO the ONLY reason for getting after one of your own players is if he's clearly not trying; which is exactly why I loathe the memory of Joe Harper. It wasn't that he couldn't play; he just never convinced me (right from the start, btw) he wanted to play for us.

Benny Brazil, on the other hand, was about as athletic and co-ordinated as my long-dead Auntie Jean, but he gave 100% and deep down the fans (most of them) liked, even loved the guy.

Derek is the best free striker in Scotland right now, and if he re-joins Hibs I will be delighted. But his game needs to change, IMO - he needs to get into a position where he can make profit from his striking partner's lay-offs - whoever that partner may be. And he needs to track back as he was doing under HUghes.

ancient hibee
19-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I appreciate all this, SH. I would be more than happy if Derek re-signed for us.

I have no explanation for DR's poor form over the last three-four months of last season. To suggest one would be pure speculation, speculation which would soon become HARD FACT in the minds of some other posters, and then quoted over and over until nobody could possibly believe anything other.

I agree with you 100% about O'Connor. I agree with you even more emphatically (if that's possible) about the support. This has been a Hibs tendency as long as I've been around - we always seem to have 1 or 2 players who simply can't do anything right in the eyes of certain fans.

IMO the ONLY reason for getting after one of your own players is if he's clearly not trying; which is exactly why I loathe the memory of Joe Harper. It wasn't that he couldn't play; he just never convinced me (right from the start, btw) he wanted to play for us.

Benny Brazil, on the other hand, was about as athletic and co-ordinated as my long-dead Auntie Jean, but he gave 100% and deep down the fans (most of them) liked, even loved the guy.

Derek is the best free striker in Scotland right now, and if he re-joins Hibs I will be delighted. But his game needs to change, IMO - he needs to get into a position where he can make profit from his striking partner's lay-offs - whoever that partner may be. And he needs to track back as he was doing under HUghes.
Think I prefer the guy that scored a goal every couple of games even though I thought he was the wrong signing(it should have been George Stewart).As for Brazil(and there's no need to insult your Auntie Jean)I thought that his constant appearances in a green jersey showed that the good times were over.

Arch Stanton
19-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I fail to see the comparisons between GOC and Riordan's positions right now.

GOC has clearly made a move (and in my view the absolutely right move) to kick start his career.

Riordan on the other hand has been making comments like "I was finding the SPL boring" "I am aiming for a Championship move or higher" - I just think his attitude stinks and if he doesn't wise up I think his career will peter out all to quickly, which is a shame for him and all those who set a lot of store by him.

HibsMax
19-06-2011, 07:16 PM

GOC has clearly made a move (and in my view the absolutely right move) to kick start his career.

Riordan on the other hand has been making comments like "I was finding the SPL boring" "I am aiming for a Championship move or higher" - I just think his attitude stinks and if he doesn't wise up I think his career will peter out all to quickly, which is a shame for him and all those who set a lot of store by him.

If he was scoring goals for fun against the boring SPL opposition then I would see his point but surely he is just another part of the boring SPL? I don't know what is going on inside his head. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

George Clooney
20-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Riordan has a family and they come first, if you can make double your salary elsewhere then you cant say no.......back to o'connor now:agree:

Who knows what Deeks will do. Houston Dynamo offered him a huge contract and he turned it down. MLS Salaries are capped at $500,000, but teams are allowed 2 "Marquee" players that can break that level.
Houston wanted him as one of these 2 players!

Trying to second guess an eedjit is impossible - He might be here next season.

silverhibee
20-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Who knows what Deeks will do. Houston Dynamo offered him a huge contract and he turned it down. MLS Salaries are capped at $500,000, but teams are allowed 2 "Marquee" players that can break that level.

Did they though.

MacBean
20-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Riordan will not be staying. FACT
Him and Garry O are no longer on talking terms.
On another note Paul Dalglish (remember him in a hibs shirt) runs Houston Dynamo youth academy and due to link ups through my company I work for and their academy I regularly speak to him. He advised houston invited him out last week for all expenses paid trip to take in a match and Riordan refused citing "not in his best interests"

That is absolutely, 100% completely incorrect information.
having indirectly chatted to Garry, i can tell you he is on a large bonus structured deal (i.e. appearances, goals) Derek was not offered such deal, and has not made his mind up yet about where he is going.

Garry said deek has been tempted a little, now that Garry is back and such "bonuses" are on the table.

There is in no way any bad taste between them, they remain good friends

Andy74
20-06-2011, 03:25 PM
If he was scoring goals for fun against the boring SPL opposition then I would see his point but surely he is just another part of the boring SPL? I don't know what is going on inside his head. Good luck to him wherever he goes.
My thoughts too.

blackpoolhibs
20-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I find it strange folk quote Dereks body language as being dire? He's never changed since he made his debut. He's a miserable sod full stop.

He is exactly the same even when we are winning, yet we start losing and its suddenly an issue????

seven nowt
20-06-2011, 04:43 PM
having indirectly chatted to Garry, i can tell you he is on a large bonus structured deal (i.e. appearances, goals) Derek was not offered such deal, and has not made his mind up yet about where he is going.

Garry said deek has been tempted a little, now that Garry is back and such "bonuses" are on the table.

As I always say, trust a cocaine possessing, Ferrarri crashing, thuggish man. Footballers aren't known to tell people the truth. Infact, I'd say the opposite.

Still my favourite player. And "indirectly" chatted to him. Was this done over some sort of social networking site or something? because that would be even more likely of him talking the typical football player S****

Cheers.

HibsMax
20-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I find it strange folk quote Dereks body language as being dire? He's never changed since he made his debut. He's a miserable sod full stop.

He is exactly the same even when we are winning, yet we start losing and its suddenly an issue????

I suppose it just looks worse when we're losing. If your team is winning but you look like you're not trying, you can escape criticism. Partly because the team is winning and partly because people expect that from you. But when the team is losing I think some people might expect to see a little more effort. That's my take on it.

aberhibsfc
20-06-2011, 04:46 PM
It doesn't change the financial package on offer, if anything may affect it if we have apportioned more to O'C.

It's not a silly idea, his most successful spell was with him and O'C up top. Boy I'd love to see that again.

Go on Del boy, you know it makes $.

moredun
20-06-2011, 04:47 PM

Deary me:rolleyes:

silverhibee
20-06-2011, 05:47 PM
I think people are excited about GO arriving, and DR leaving, because people respond well to change. Not all change is a good thing but sometimes a change is just what is needed.

I don't know so this is a genuine question - did Deek ever state publicly that he wanted to stay at Hibs, wanted to try and fight to turn things around? I know it's usually rhetoric but Garry made those sorts of comments when he signed. Maybe Deek could turn things around with different players around him but if he doesn't even try to sound interested, why stick with him?

I think the fact that nobody else appears to be in for him shows that other clubs might feel the same way. But then again, what do we know? Perhaps there have been offers extended to Deek that we don't know about?

Maybe there's something else going on that we don't know about?

Houston Blackburn Rovers Watford Eisekphor and Crystal Palace are just some of the teams i have read about showing an interest in signing Riordan, and i am sure there will be more that wee haven't heard about from the papers. :aok:

silverhibee
20-06-2011, 05:54 PM

Its probaly the only move he could get just now, didn't hear about many other teams chasing after Garrys name to sign him.

So Derek has said he is bored of the SPL, and you think his attitude stinks because he maybe wants to play his football somewhere else, sorry but dont get that.:aok:

silverhibee
20-06-2011, 06:05 PM

How many goals has he scored in the SPL Max, part of the boring SPL you said, his goals in the SPL have been far from boring, and not to forget his goal of the season against celtc at there ground this season, maybe not his best season i admit that, but with over a hundred goals to his name in Scottish Football i hardly think you can call him boring, infact if Derek is part of the SPL being so boring what do you think of the Hibs team now, will they just be as boring as you put it. :aok:

silverhibee
20-06-2011, 06:08 PM

:agree:

But Smokie Joe may be along soon to tell you otherwise. :greengrin

Arch Stanton
20-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Its probaly the only move he could get just now, didn't hear about many other teams chasing after Garrys name to sign him.

So Derek has said he is bored of the SPL, and you think his attitude stinks because he maybe wants to play his football somewhere else, sorry but dont get that.:aok:

"didn't hear about many other teams chasing after Garrys name to sign him"

Means nothing - how many people knew that Hibs were after him before he signed?

"maybe wants to play his football somewhere else" - nothing wrong with him wanting a change but what exactly does he gain by bad-mouthing the SPL other than make himself look like a prima-donna?

HibsMax
20-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Houston Blackburn Rovers Watford Eisekphor and Crystal Palace are just some of the teams i have read about showing an interest in signing Riordan, and i am sure there will be more that wee haven't heard about from the papers. :aok:

Don't these teams know that signings are supposed to made at the start of the window? Their fans must be livid! :wink:

silverhibee
20-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Don't these teams know that signings are supposed to made at the start of the window? Their fans must be livid! :wink:

What can you do but when players are on holiday at this time. :wink: :aok:

HibsMax
20-06-2011, 08:22 PM
How many goals has he scored in the SPL Max, part of the boring SPL you said, his goals in the SPL have been far from boring, and not to forget his goal of the season against celtc at there ground this season, maybe not his best season i admit that, but with over a hundred goals to his name in Scottish Football i hardly think you can call him boring, infact if Derek is part of the SPL being so boring what do you think of the Hibs team now, will they just be as boring as you put it. :aok:

Um, I never said the SPL is boring, that quote is attributed to Deek (edit : at least that is what I read somewhere on here).

HibsMax
20-06-2011, 08:23 PM
What can you do but when players are on holiday at this time. :wink: :aok:

I agree but others might not.

silverhibee
20-06-2011, 08:24 PM
"didn't hear about many other teams chasing after Garrys name to sign him"

Means nothing - how many people knew that Hibs were after him before he signed?

"maybe wants to play his football somewhere else" - nothing wrong with him wanting a change but what exactly does he gain by bad-mouthing the SPL other than make himself look like a prima-donna?

He never bad mouthed the SPL though, he just said he would like a change.

.Sean.
20-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Maybe he'd like to change his mind and sign on at Hibs again SH!? :wink:

BoltonHibee
20-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Maybe he'd like to change his mind and sign on at Hibs again SH!? :wink:

I think the no.10 shirt is still available :)

HibsMax
20-06-2011, 09:26 PM

If that is the case then I stand corrected. I was under the impression that he specifically wanted a change because the SPL is boring (hence my earlier comments). If the "boring" was added by someone else then apologies to DR for believing it.

Phil MaGlass
21-06-2011, 07:00 AM
From what I see on here is most folk think he was lazy last year or do most people think that, maybe we need a poll.

Arch Stanton
21-06-2011, 08:10 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13588383.stm

Fine if he had just said he wanted a change but adding the 'monotonous' and 'drags on' bits were unnecessary and a slight on those who make a living for themselves in this league.

If he wants to move on then he should just find another club and sign for them instead of airing his grievances - after all he has had since January to agree such a move and it is now nearly July.

Peevemor
21-06-2011, 08:13 AM

Fine if he had just said he wanted a change but adding the 'monotonous' and 'drags on' bits were unnecessary and a slight on those who make a living for themselves in this league.

If he wants to move on then he should just find another club and sign for them instead of airing his grievances - after all he has had since January to agree such a move and it is now nearly July.

If the fans find the SPL monotonous, are players not allowed to be honest and say the same thing?

Ollie Reed
21-06-2011, 08:24 AM

It's a shame he didn't feel that way a few years ago, think we may have seen the best of him in another country.

Ollie Reed
21-06-2011, 08:26 AM

Yer right, it does mean very little.

Paul Lovering, as an example, had what you'd call terrific body language. Then he stepped onto the park......

Arch Stanton
21-06-2011, 08:40 AM
If the fans find the SPL monotonous, are players not allowed to be honest and say the same thing?

They can mouth off anything they like - it's a free country.

However, it is telling that Henrik Larsonn didn't make such comments when he left the SPL after playing just about as much first team football as Riordan - slight difference in attitudes, no?

Beefster
21-06-2011, 08:45 AM
As I always say, trust a cocaine possessing, Ferrarri crashing, thuggish man. Footballers aren't known to tell people the truth. Infact, I'd say the opposite.

Still my favourite player. And "indirectly" chatted to him. Was this done over some sort of social networking site or something? because that would be even more likely of him talking the typical football player S****

Cheers.

No need. Can you provide links to the stories where he was convicted of possessing cocaine and where he's been 'thuggish'?

I've crash a car about 20 year ago but it was only a Fiesta. Does that mean that I'm incapable of telling the truth?

KeithTheHibby
21-06-2011, 08:51 AM

In a way I admire his honesty about the SPL and his reason for wanting to play elsewhere.

However I am not convinced that he could cut it in the Championship despite his goalscoring record.
For that reason I would not be shocked if he ended up back at ER.

southern hibby
21-06-2011, 08:55 AM
I read on here about the slump in Deek's performance within the last 3 months of the season.

Now I read also that he had become a dad, this in its self is a major upheavel within family life. Everything and I mean everything is thrown into a shambles on the home front. Feeding times, nappy changing, kids sleeping patterns and trust me i'm talking from experience.

Say his girlfriend / Mrs, has Post Natal Depression this could and would effect your overall daily life, again talking from experience. Not sure why there was a slump but there was. However surely the experience he has and the goals scored should be enough to get the majority of skeptics to want him signed for another stint in the Famous Green and White.

GGTTH

MacBean
21-06-2011, 09:01 AM

Cheers.

By indirectly, I mean I was on the phone to my cousin, who so happened to be with Garry at the time. I asked him a question through my cousin, and heard his response in the background. I should have made that clearer in my original post sorry. Garry has been a long standing friend of my cousin for many years.

I do agree with you that footballers talk p*sh and he could well be on the wind up.

silverhibee
21-06-2011, 11:35 AM

And you think that Riordan used that word when giving that interview, maybe the reporter added a few words to make the story a bit more interesting, i do not think it was a dig at any football players making a living in the SPL.

And what grievances has he been airing, he hasn't gave an interview since the last few days of the season, or are wee not allowed to talk about ex players on here now.

I suppose it doesn't matter what i say about Deek to you, you obviousy have a wee bee in your bonnet about him, i will ask you this Crabit, how many supporters are peeded of with the SPL just now, last season was one of the most boring seasons in the SPL history, the fans want change to the SPL because it is crap, if it goes to a ten team league wee may lose more supporters because they dont think its the right way forward for there clubs, should the fans just move on to something else because they are airing there grievances about how dull and monotonous the SPL is becoming. :aok:

silverhibee
21-06-2011, 11:50 AM
No need. Can you provide links to the stories where he was convicted of possessing cocaine and where he's been 'thuggish'?

I've crash a car about 20 year ago but it was only a Fiesta. Does that mean that I'm incapable of telling the truth?

A good man like you Mr Beefster would have not left the scene of the accident though, and i am sure you would have correctly told the police(if they were involved) who was driving the car when you had said crash. :greengrin

Arch Stanton
21-06-2011, 12:27 PM
And you think that Riordan used that word when giving that interview, maybe the reporter added a few words to make the story a bit more interesting, i do not think it was a dig at any football players making a living in the SPL.

And what grievances has he been airing, he hasn't gave an interview since the last few days of the season, or are wee not allowed to talk about ex players on here now.

I suppose it doesn't matter what i say about Deek to you, you obviousy have a wee bee in your bonnet about him, i will ask you this Crabit, how many supporters are peeded of with the SPL just now, last season was one of the most boring seasons in the SPL history, the fans want change to the SPL because it is crap, if it goes to a ten team league wee may lose more supporters because they dont think its the right way forward for there clubs, should the fans just move on to something else because they are airing there grievances about how dull and monotonous the SPL is becoming. :aok:

I too doubt the Derek used the word 'monotonous' but I hope the reporter only supplied the word and not the sense of what he was saying. And yes, it would not have been meant as a slight but it does rather paint him in a 'I'm better than this' light.

Riordan's form has been poor for a couple of seasons with only brief episodes showing what he is capable of. Personally I would like him to have accepted this lack of form and come up with some ideas of how to improve it. The notion that he will play better in a more interesting set-up just doesn't wash with me - avoiding the real issue more like.

As for the SPL being boring I am aware that it figures high in the list of common complaints on here - all I know is that I renewed my ST - what more can I say?

seven nowt
21-06-2011, 12:54 PM
By indirectly, I mean I was on the phone to my cousin, who so happened to be with Garry at the time. I asked him a question through my cousin, and heard his response in the background. I should have made that clearer in my original post sorry. Garry has been a long standing friend of my cousin for many years.

I do agree with you that footballers talk p*sh and he could well be on the wind up.

Ok, no bother there. Cheers for the clarification.

Captain Trips
21-06-2011, 01:27 PM
As GoC seems to be seen as a good signing but many think DR signing again might not be, I do not see why GoC who had a terrible season just gone is more capable of turning it around than DR. Quite a few are not bothered about his departure based on last term but happy with GoC, is that based on last term?

No we are hoping to see the GoC of 3 or 4 yrs ago just like I was hoping to see the DR of 5 or 6 yrs ago, GoC is much as a signing on memory as keeping DR.

I think if we could convince DR to give it another go then hopefully they can pick up where they left off that would be an unquestionable statement of real intent. I do though understand that DR might well be shot of the SPL

HibsMax
21-06-2011, 01:34 PM

Fans WATCH the SPL, there is little they can do to make it more exciting. That's the job of the players (collectively). If the league is monotonous then it's as a result of the job they are doing. So I would say they ARE entitled to make such comments since they are directed towards themselves. :)

YehButNoBut
29-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Anyone know of Riordan is still training with Hibs and if not what he is doing to keep fit for the new season.

All seems to have gone quiet on his plans for the coming season.