PDA

View Full Version : Garry O'connor has signed for Hibs (1 Year Deal Confirmed)

Pages : 1 [2]

Iggy Pope
18-06-2011, 08:19 PM
:agree: But that would be much too simple, LA.

He did well with us first time around; well with Lokomotiv too. The question at Birmingham was his proneness to injury - McLeish suggested this might be due to his playing on synthetic pitches in Russia while carrying an injury from his Hibs days.

His time with Birmingham and Barnsley has been very unsettled - mainly down to injuries, apparently - and Garry seems to me to be the kind of guy who needs to be playing regularly or he tends to go off the rails - spectacularly.

If he's anything like fit and willing to put in a shift, he's a player with a lot of ability who could do very well for us in the short term. (The same, IMO, applies to Ivan.) The idea that RP would commit two salaries on no more than the chance that the signings concerned would boost ST sales seems to me to be a little off the planet, frankly? He'd have to sell a lot of STs to recoup the sort of money he'd have to pay them over the course of the season, even if they're on contracts with a low monthly salary but big win- and goal-bonuses. That's a lot MORE than he'd have sold without signing them.

So far we've signed a winger and a striker from England who have played for us before and whose credentials are fairly well-known, and a defender who looks just the guy to stiffen our back four and give us a bit of stability at the back of the team.

Every signing's a gamble, every time. Do we not remember a certain big-name record signing who proved over the period he was here to be about as much use (and roughly the same shape) as a chocolate tea-pot? Fair enough, he scored goals - not as many as promised, mind - but did he improve the team? Not on your freakin life did he improve the team.

And IIRC, according to Ned T he was going to "win us the League".

But then Ned T also said that Benny Brazil was set to be "the next Pat Stanton".

Joe Harper again :yawn:

Would you settle for a 25 yard screamer to win the derby? A winner in a cup semi followed by a hat-trick in the final? A winner v Liverpool in European competition?
And while Benny was very good, I always recall it was Lindsay Muir who was set to be "the next Pat Stanton"...........

iwasthere1972
18-06-2011, 08:31 PM
If he is at the peak of his career why did he has no club ?

Nobody was chasing him for his signature except the police. :wink:

147lothian
18-06-2011, 10:01 PM
A brilliant signing!

Niffy
19-06-2011, 02:48 AM
What happens if/when Gary gets injured ?

Lucius Apuleius
19-06-2011, 05:13 AM

He will go and see the physio and he will decide what further medical treatment is required I assume.

Lucius Apuleius
19-06-2011, 05:14 AM
Was his last contract not terminated by his club, dont think it ran out. :aok:

Not sure to be honest, hence the :confused:. Whichever way, no doomsayers for me. I am glad to see him back.

son of haggart
19-06-2011, 06:35 AM
:agree: But that would be much too simple, LA.

He did well with us first time around; well with Lokomotiv too. The question at Birmingham was his proneness to injury - McLeish suggested this might be due to his playing on synthetic pitches in Russia while carrying an injury from his Hibs days.

His time with Birmingham and Barnsley has been very unsettled - mainly down to injuries, apparently - and Garry seems to me to be the kind of guy who needs to be playing regularly or he tends to go off the rails - spectacularly.

If he's anything like fit and willing to put in a shift, he's a player with a lot of ability who could do very well for us in the short term. (The same, IMO, applies to Ivan.) The idea that RP would commit two salaries on no more than the chance that the signings concerned would boost ST sales seems to me to be a little off the planet, frankly? He'd have to sell a lot of STs to recoup the sort of money he'd have to pay them over the course of the season, even if they're on contracts with a low monthly salary but big win- and goal-bonuses. That's a lot MORE than he'd have sold without signing them.

So far we've signed a winger and a striker from England who have played for us before and whose credentials are fairly well-known, and a defender who looks just the guy to stiffen our back four and give us a bit of stability at the back of the team.

Every signing's a gamble, every time. Do we not remember a certain big-name record signing who proved over the period he was here to be about as much use (and roughly the same shape) as a chocolate tea-pot? Fair enough, he scored goals - not as many as promised, mind - but did he improve the team? Not on your freakin life did he improve the team.

But then Ned T also said that Benny Brazil was set to be "the next Pat Stanton".

Would agree with that, though I think Hibs signings are quite high risk/ high potential and you need a few more to have a team who will last the rigours of an SPL season.

Ray_
19-06-2011, 12:07 PM
:agree:

Doddie Things didn't go to plan but I don't think it was all Harper's fault. We certainly missed a goalscorer when he left. Harper's last game for hibs was in a reserve match, where he scored five goals & he was then sold. We then messed about with players like Henderson, Scott, Ward, Hutchison & Campbell, none of them a patch on Harper & hibs got worse & worse, finally being relegated.

It wasn't until Cowan & Durie came about that we had somebody who could score regularly, while Harper went on to form a successful partnership with Steve Archibald and Aberdeen went in the opposite direction from hibs, winning trophy's & titles.

Le God
19-06-2011, 01:29 PM
:not worthGreat signing, up top with big Sodje and we are on to a winner. Sproule coming off the bench as an impact player to run at tired defences after Gaz and Akpo have battered them for most of the game. Maybe need another striker in though

--------
19-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Doddie Things didn't go to plan but I don't think it was all Harper's fault. We certainly missed a goalscorer when he left. Harper's last game for hibs was in a reserve match, where he scored five goals & he was then sold. We then messed about with players like Henderson, Scott, Ward, Hutchison & Campbell, none of them a patch on Harper & hibs got worse & worse, finally being relegated.

It wasn't until Cowan & Durie came about that we had somebody who could score regularly, while Harper went on to form a successful partnership with Steve Archibald and Aberdeen went in the opposite direction from hibs, winning trophy's & titles.

I'm not arguing about whether he was a good player or not. I believe he was. He just wasn't any good for us. £140,000 (remember what else we could have done with that money if we hadn't blown it all on one player) shredded and flushed down the loo.

Turnbull signed him. Turnbull had the reputation of being a top coach who stood no nonsense. Turnbull got very very little out of Harper.

And Turnbull's misplaced faith in Harper put the club in hock for years to come.

Not mention that Turnbull signed most if not all of the dead-beats you list there. :bitchy:

Ray_
19-06-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm not arguing about whether he was a good player or not. I believe he was. He just wasn't any good for us. £140,000 (remember what else we could have done with that money if we hadn't blown it all on one player) shredded and flushed down the loo.

Turnbull signed him. Turnbull had the reputation of being a top coach who stood no nonsense. Turnbull got very very little out of Harper.

And Turnbull's misplaced faith in Harper put the club in hock for years to come.

Not mention that Turnbull signed most if not all of the dead-beats you list there. :bitchy:

Yeah, ET signed them all Doddie, the strange thing was that he wanted Gordon at Aberdeen, to pair him with Harper & this he rarely done when he got them both at Hibs.

With regard to the money, rather than being in hock for years, sadly Alex Cropley was sacrificed ten months later, which recouped the outlay for Harper also paid for Ally McLeod, who was brought in when sodjer was sold. Harper cost Tom Hart 120k transfer fee plus the 12k tax.

hibs0666
19-06-2011, 07:47 PM

Physio rubs it better mate. :wink:

hibee92
19-06-2011, 08:13 PM

put Garry on? :greengrin